Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Sickness & Health, Good Times & Bad

Chapter 8

Brian was a little late getting to the office on Monday. Justin had, unusually for him, woken up early and joined Brian in his morning shower. This led to a pretty spirited morning fuck.

The result was Brian’s late arrival in an extremely good mood. He found Ted waiting in his office. Ted took an exaggerated look at his watch while Brian made his way to his desk. “Yes Theodore, I am aware that I am a little late for our meeting. However since I am the guy who signs your pay checks you’ll just have to deal with it.”

Ted smiled, he could tell that Brian was in a better than usual mood. “So Brian, did Justin have a little insomnia this morning?” Brian couldn’t help the satisfied expression on his face, even though he attempted to look stern.

Ted handed Brian a packet of papers. “There are last week’s financials, Kinnetik continues to outperform any previous years. Tay-Kin Art is also performing strongly. Justin’s last 2 shows were very successful. KT Properties has paid down its credit line, occupancy rates are over 90%. Jennifer has gotten estimates to redo the duplex on Maple Street in Oakland and I think we can get that done before the University starts the fall semester in August. I also looked into the programs run by Good Shepherd as you requested. They have a really interesting senior daycare program. It has a couple of paid employees and lots of volunteers from their “Golden Age Club”. The daycare provides care for seniors who are a little confused or need help with medication, oldsters who can’t be left alone during the day. It charges a pretty minimal fee for the care. The parish was providing some financial assistance to the senior daycare but parishioners who weren’t using it complained about their contributions supporting it. Rumors in the community say that the daycare is going to have to close soon or raise their rates which will put it out of the reach of most people who are using it. Sexual orientation not a huge issue in the senior community so this could be the program you are looking for.”

Brian was reviewing the spreadsheets and information as Ted talked to him. The great financial news only added to his already good mood. This was an outstandingly Monday so far!

“Good work as usual Ted. I like this senior daycare. I need you to get legal to write up an agreement that states that the donation must be used only for the senior daycare and that the donation must be anonymous.”

Ted was taking notes. “I am guessing that you are thinking of a donation from the JB Foundation?” Brian nodded. “You and I can sign the withdrawal slip. I’ll let Justin know about the donation.”

Ted got up from his chair. ‘I have some withdrawal forms in my office. I’ll go get one. How much were you planning on donating?”

Brian looked thoughtful for a minute. “Ted, go on back to your office. I want to call Justin before I decide on the amount we’ll contribute. I’ll call you after I talk to Justin.”

Ted smiled. “I hear and I obey, oh fearless leader.” “Just get out of my office Theodore.”

At home, when Justin came downstairs Alice was unloading the dishwasher. They exchanged good morning greetings. He got himself some coffee and toasted a bagel for his breakfast. “Alice, Emmett used the big guest room on Saturday night. When the cleaners come today make sure they change the sheets & towels. The Browns will be using that room on Thursday & Friday nights.”

Alice nodded and let Justin know. “I ordered some flowers for Thursday delivery, enough for arrangements in their room, the parlor and the dining room.” Justin was cutting up a couple apples to take up to the studio. “Thanks Alice, don’t know what we would do without you and don’t want to find out.” He gave the housekeeper a quick kiss on the cheek before heading upstairs.

A short time later he answered his cell. “Hi Brian. After our shower this morning you can’t be calling to have phone sex.”

“Although that would be interesting, you’re right I am not calling for phone sex. I told you about Father Bolton from Good Shepherd who helped with uncovering Claire’s roofing scam.”

“Yeah I remember. You said he seemed like a good guy, especially for a priest.” Brian smirked as he replied. “Well, I had Ted look into the parish programs to find one where sexual orientation wouldn’t be a factor. Turns out they have a pretty cool senior daycare. It provides care for seniors who shouldn’t be left alone while their family or friends are working.”

Justin was wondering where this conversation was going. “Okay Bri that seems like a good thing but I think Ted & Cynthia are still able to keep their eye on you during the day.”

“Very funny Sunshine. I would like the JB Foundation to make a contribution to Good Shepherd. Legal is drawing up an agreement that states the money must be used only for the senior daycare and that it has to be anonymous. I want to give them $50,000 but only if that is alright with you.”

Justin sat down. “Wow Mr Kinney you can still surprise me! I have to meet this Father Bolton, he must be a special person. If you want to make the contribution I am 100 percent okay with that. Do you need me to come up to the office to sign anything?”

“No Ted and I can sign the withdrawal but I didn’t want to do anything without talking to you first. Thanks Justin, see you later. You know I love you a lot.” Brian hung up before Justin could reply, he was always embarrassed when he found himself saying something so lesbionic but more often than he liked he couldn’t stop himself from saying them.

Justin sat for a couple moments in his studio. He knew how hard it still was for Brian to verbally express his feelings. When Brian spontaneously blurted them out like he did at the end of this phone call; Justin’s heart tightened in his chest and the feelings of being so cherished by Brian were almost more than he could handle. He felt so lucky that after all the ups & downs of their relationship they were now both so secure in their love for each other. Unlike his partner Justin had no problem with lesbionic thoughts.

Brian called Ted’s office to let him know that Justin had Okayed the contribution and gave him the amount to withdraw. Ted silently wondered what the chances were that Justin would refuse Brian something that he wanted to do. Brian suggested that Ted invite Father Bolton to lunch, explain the conditions for the contribution and if the priest signed the agreement, give him the cashier’s check.

Father Bolton was working at his desk when the parish secretary told him that a man was on the phone asking to speak with him. When the priest answered the phone, Ted explained who he was and asked Father Bolton to join him for lunch the next day at Le Mont on Mt. Washington. Ted also asked him not to tell anyone who he was having lunch with. The priest wondered what this was all about but agreed to meet Ted for lunch.

Le Mont perched on the edge of Mt. Washington. The restaurant offered pretty spectacular views of Pittsburgh’s “Golden Triangle” where the Allegheny & Monongahela Rivers joined together to form the Ohio River. It was one of Brian’s favorite restaurants and he frequently entertained clients here. Ted made his reservation under Kinnetik which insured he would have a table by the windows. He arrived early for lunch and ordered an iced tea while he waited for his guest and enjoyed the view. Right on time Father Bolton walked up to the table. “Hi Mr. Schmidt.”

Ted stood to shake the other man’s hand; he was surprised that the priest was wearing a plain shirt and a tan sports coat. “Please call me Ted. Thanks for agreeing to meet me for lunch.” Father Bolton sat down and ordered an iced tea from the waiter who had shown him to the table.

“You know Ted, I have lived my entire life in Pittsburgh. I have never been in one of these Mt. Washington restaurants before. I’m Impressed!” Ted smiled. “I would like to keep our meeting as discrete as possible so I thought this was a safe distance from your parish.”

Father Bolton nodded. “I thought we were aiming to fly under the radar. That is why I went with civilian clothes today. Please call me Charles. I have to admit I am very curious about just why you invited me to lunch.” Ted picked up his menu. “Why don’t we order first? Lunch is being paid for by Kinnetik so feel free to order whatever you like.”

After their waiter had taken their order, Ted smiled at Charles Bolton. “I guess it is time I satisfied your curiosity. Brian was quite impressed by you last week. He appreciated your help in resolving the whole roof situation at his mother’s house. He also really liked what you had to say about love, that it all comes from God.”

The priest had a puzzled expression on his face. “I wasn’t trying to impress anyone. Mrs. Kinney was not too happy that I involved myself in her roof issue. She came to rectory and wanted to know how I found out about her roof leak. She seemed annoyed that Claire had come to see me and was very upset that I visited with Brian”

“Well Charles, Joan and Brian have a very complicated relationship. He finds it hard to deal with his mother and she is very open about his disapproval of Brian.” The priest laughed. “Yes, she was very open about expressing that disapproval and her disappointment that I didn’t agree that Brian was headed for hell’s fire. My meeting with Brian was so brief; I don’t see how I could have impressed him.”

“I’ve known Brian for a pretty long time and worked for him since he started Kinnetik. He took a chance with me after I had really screwed up my life. He is a brilliant businessman. One of his major talents is his ability to read people. As I said he liked what you had to say about love and that unlike most priests you were not judgmental. Brian and Justin have a charitable foundation that they use to make donations to worthy causes. As you might expect a lot of those donations go to gay oriented charities but they make other donations as well. Brian asked me to look into the programs that Good Shepherd offers. He wanted something that could not be affected by participants’ sexual orientation. I think your senior daycare seems like a really worthwhile endeavor and Brian agreed.”

Father Bolton gave a quick laugh. “Well I’m glad that it meets your approval and I must tell you that one of the attendees is an elderly gentleman who is dropped off every day but his slightly younger “longtime friend”. Dolly, who runs the daycare, is very touched by them. She said that the younger man is very solicitous of his friend and when he comes to pick him up at the end of the day the older man is always so thrilled to see him. She also noticed that once they get in their car they always kiss. I think you and Brian can feel safe in thinking there is no discrimination going on at senior daycare.”

Ted smiled. “I will certainly let Brian know that. He is very concerned that this donation be used exclusively for the senior daycare and that the donation is completely anonymous. He wants no one but you to know where the money is coming from. I have an agreement here that you would have to sign before I could give you the donation. There are two copies, one for your files and one for JB Foundation.”

Charles looked over the agreement while the waiter delivered their lunches. “This looks pretty straight forward Ted. I have no trouble signing this. It will be helpful with the archdiocese if they want to divert the contribution to some other purpose. I will deny saying that if you quote me to anyone.”

Ted handed Charles a pen and he signed both copies of the agreement. Ted took one copy and handed the priest the check for $50,000. “Oh my God! Well there’s something for my next confession, taking the Lord’s name in vain. Ted, this is more than generous. I can’t believe the amount of this contribution. This is amazing.”

“I have learned over the years that Brian can be amazing for many different reasons. He and Justin are happy to help out a worthwhile cause. Let’s enjoy our lunch and the view. I don’t want you not to enjoy your first time at Le Mont.”

When Father Bolton returned to the rectory he showed the agreement and the check to the parish secretary who actually screamed when she saw the amount. Together they went over to the church hall where the senior daycare occupied a side room. Dolly was busy as usual and when she saw Father Bolton and Jean, the secretary, she was afraid they were coming to tell her that the daycare was going to have to close. Money had been an issue since she first started the daycare, they could never seem to be able to build any surplus funds for a safety net. When she found out they were there with good news and she saw the contribution amount she burst into tears and had to sit down quickly. Several volunteers, fearing some bad news, hurried over. Surprise and delight quickly spread through the room. Father led them in a group prayer of thanksgiving.

Brian’s was very pleased when Ted related the details of his lunch meeting.