Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Sickness & Health, Good Times & Bad

Chapter 78

As usual Gus was up early and knocking on the master bedroom door. Brian and Justin were wearing shorts so when Gus asked if he could come in his Daddy said come ahead. Gus ran over to the bed and Brian lifted him up for a good morning kiss. A giggling Gus lifted the pillow that Justin had pulled over his face and gave Papa a good morning kiss before replacing the pillow.

Brian and Gus went down to the kitchen where John and Peter were preparing to cook the family breakfast. An excited Gus clapped his hands.

“Hooray! We are going to have John’s delicious scrambled eggs for breakfast.”

He hurried over to give both his cousins a hug while Brian fixed a travel mug of coffee for Justin. Gus happily took the mug from his Daddy and after asking John to wait, until he returned, to cook breakfast he hurried upstairs.

Gus put the coffee on the bedside table before he lifted the pillow off Justin’s face. He squealed as his Papa grabbed him and gave him a big hug. Gus sat beside Papa on the bed.

“Don’t take too long drinking your coffee Papa. John is waiting to cook his delicious scrambled eggs for breakfast.”

Justin smiled as he got the message that Gus was worried about missing breakfast loud and clear. He grabbed his mug of coffee. “Okay Little Man let’s go get some of those special scrambled eggs.”

Gus, with a big smile on his face, followed Justin down to the kitchen. John and Peter handled most of the breakfast prep and serving but they gave Gus things to do which thrilled the little boy. Brian shook his head at how happy his son was to be entrusted to carry ketchup and salsa over to the kitchen table.

There was lots of conversation about everyone’s plans for the day while breakfast was consumed. Gus was glad to hear that Kevin was coming over to play for the afternoon. After breakfast John and Peter gave Gus the T shirt they bought for him in San Francisco. Gus was beyond excited and announced he wanted to wear the T shirt today.

Justin helped John and Peter do cleanup while Brian and Gus got dressed for their trip to the phone store.

When father and son left for the phone store, John turned to Justin. “Isn’t Gus a little young to get his own cell phone. I can’t imagine the wicked witches will go along with Gus having a phone.”

Justin rolled his eyes. “Gus’s mothers, aka the wicked witches, are yelling a lot more lately and that frightens Gus. I suggested if he had a phone and knew he can always call Uncle Brian or me than Gus won’t feel as afraid. Actually who should be feeling afraid is Lindsay and Melanie, Brian is very close to killing them.”

John and Peter laughed. “He should take Grandmom Jen with him. I get the impression she would like to take a crack at Lindsay.”

Justin chuckled. “Maybe we should form a posse?”

All three of them laughed at that thought. Justin sent Peter upstairs to get ready for his afternoon and evening with Josh and his parents.

Later in the afternoon Greg and Roxanne dropped off their sons on their way out to lunch. It had been some time since anyone Roxanne trusted was willing to take both boys so they enjoyed the freedom that it gave them.

All four boys enjoyed the pool before Gus and Kevin got out and shared a lounger while they read Gus’s new book about San Francisco. Gus decided they should take turn reading pages and Kevin, as always, was happy to do what Gus suggested. Justin sat sketching on another lounger. He smiled to hear the boys interacting and thought about what Lindsay had said at the gallery. Justin felt really annoyed but then smiled thinking he would be happy to join the posse heading out after Lindsay.

Brian, John and Patrick were kicking the soccer ball around. Eventually Brian organized little drills for the boys to do while he relaxed in the shade. After reading for a while Gus and Kevin got interested in what the older boys were doing.

John and Patrick started kicking the ball to Gus and Kevin. Gus was able to return it to them about half the time but Kevin didn’t have the knack for kicking the ball back.

Brian observed for a short time before coming over to Kevin and Gus with another ball. “Hey, why don’t you guys play with me and let John and Patrick continue practicing drills.”

Gus was always happy to have his Daddy’s attention and Kevin was normally happy to do what Gus wanted. Brian knew that Kevin took instruction better from Gus than adults so he suggested to Gus how Kevin should position his foot to get better at kicking the ball.
Soon Brian had Gus and Kevin able to kick the ball back and forth. Both boys were laughing and squealing while kicking the ball back and forth and occasionally running after a kicked ball that got away from them. Justin walked down to watch them and cheered their efforts.

Patrick and John eventually made their way over to watch. Patrick got a funny look on his face and got out his cell phone. He recorded a video of his younger brother kicking the ball to Gus. He forwarded it to his father’s phone and a short time later Patrick’s cell rang.

Patrick and his father had a quick conversation. He had a strange look on his face, he whispered something to John and the two boys walked towards the pool. Justin followed them.

“Patrick is everything okay?”

“Yeah Uncle Justin everything is good. It’s just that I sent that clip to my Dad. When he called back I could tell he was crying. You know Kevin usually get discouraged easily when he can’t do something. Gus is a miracle worker, Kevin is really happy to do whatever Gus wants to do! Dad was just so happy to see Kevin having such a good time and kicking the ball so well.”

Justin could tell that Patrick was a little chocked up himself. John suggested that they cool off in the pool and both boys jumped in. A few minutes later the younger boys were running over to the pool and joining the big boys for a swim.

Justin and Brian were sharing a lounger and watching the antics in the pool. Justin’s cell phone rang. It was Nathan Aura’s wife, Rose, letting him know they were turning in the driveway. Justin told her he would meet then at the front door.

Justin got up from the chair. “Brian come in and say hello.”

Brian made a face but did stand up. Justin looked over to the pool. “Brian and I have to go inside for a couple minutes. Everyone into the shallow end until we come back out.”

John started to say something but Justin just said “Now!” in a tone of voice that ended any discussion before it started.

Patrick followed his friend into the shallow end. “What’s this all about?”

John shrugged. “Not sure but I knew from the look Uncle Justin gave me that there was no point in arguing. Plus to disobey Uncle Justin right in front Uncle Brian could lead to death or dismemberment. I guess he just wanted to be sure we kept on eye on the little kids.”

Gus and Kevin were delighted to have the older boys paying attention to them.

Justin opened the front door with a smile. Nathan introduced him to his wife and Justin introduced both Auras to Brian.

Brian went back out to the patio as Justin led the way up the back stairs to his studio.

Rose was busy looking around the house as they walked through. “Justin, this is a beautiful home.”

“Thanks. We’ve spent quite a bit of time and money on remodeling pretty much the entire house. The studio and the pool house under it are an addition we put on.”

As they stepped into the studio Nathan took it all in and just said “Wow!”

Justin chuckled. “Brian doesn’t do anything halfway. He was determined I would have the nicest studio money could buy. It has a lift to move crates in and out and there is an outside entrance.”

Justin opened the door to the fireproof art vault. Nathan and Rose glanced at each other as they followed Justin inside. Justin had most of his finished canvases leaning against the walls on the floor as well as built in shelves.

Nathan immediately was drawn to a canvas full of dark colors with a preponderance of red.

“Justin I love this painting. Rose can’t you just see this displayed among my spring collection?”

Rose agreed. Justin looked at the painting that Interested Nathan. “I’ve never displayed this painting. It is one of my earliest big canvases. I did this while I was still dealing with the aftermath of my bashing.”

Nathan and Rose looked at each other before Rose spoke. “We don’t mean to dredge up any unpleasant memories for you.”

Nathan tried to explain his plan for the art show to Justin. “Ever since I saw your other art at the gallery. I thought our art should play off each other. When I saw this painting I thought it would make an interesting contrast for a collection of my work I call spring. It is all light, happy colors, this painting would provide a tremendous contrast.”

Justin looked at the painting, surprised that after all this time it did not provoke any deep emotions from him. “It is probably about time for this to be shown. I like your idea for it to contrast your work.”

Nathan picked four other paintings and Justin said he would have them delivered to the gallery. After saying good bye to Nathan and Rose and seeing them drive away Justin went back in the house and headed for the patio. It was just about time for Brian to start the charcoal for dinner.

His cell rang before he got outside. This time it was Emmett. “Hi Baby. I’m sorry to bother you but I just wanted to check with you on something for the gallery grand opening.”

“I’m always happy to hear from you Em. What can I do for you?”

Emmett hesitated for a moment. “I’ve debated about making this call. I don’t want to cause any trouble. The thing is I spoke to Lindsay on Friday and she said to go with a second tier menu for the gallery grand opening. That would be punch, soft drinks and some nice finger food. It would be fine but I know you and Brian usually like to go top tier. You know wine, champagne, seafood goodies, those little beef shish kabobs you like so much, chocolate fountain with fruit and cake squares for dipping. I understand if you want to save some money but I just wanted to be sure that was really the way you wanted to go.”

Justin took a deep breath. “Thank you so much for checking with me! Of course you’re right we want to go top tier. I certainly am not interested in saving money for the grand opening.”

The two men chatted for a few more minutes and made plans to meet for breakfast at the diner the next morning. Justin continued outside and got Brian to get the charcoal lit. Justin got the meat and side dishes ready for dinner. He made sure to get the gluten free rolls and cookies ready for Kevin to eat.

Brian grilled burgers, chicken and hot dogs which were all quickly devoured. There was lots of laughter and everyone enjoyed Alice’s homemade cookies for dessert. Gus tried one of Kevin’s gluten free cookies and the face he made as he chewed it had Brian and Justin trying their best to contain their laughter. Gus quickly took a big gulp of milk as soon as he finished the cookie.

Justin took Patrick and Kevin home with John riding along. Brian stayed home to give Gus his bath. Greg and Roxanne came out to the car when Justin arrived to drop off their sons. Patrick thanked him for the nice day. Kevin hugged Justin who bent down to give the boy a kiss on the top of his head.

“Bye Uncle Justin. I love you.”

Justin gave Kevin one of his trademark sunshine smile. “I love you too buddy. I’m glad you came over to spend the afternoon with us.”

Roxanne came over and gave Justin a hug and kiss on the cheek. “Thank you so much for this afternoon. Greg and I had a lovely lunch and did some antiquing. The boys are so lucky to have such good friends like John and Gus. You and Brian have been so great to both Patrick and Kevin. Your mother is going to Kevin’s school on Wednesday. We so appreciate her doing that for him.”

Justin smile was still in place. “Mom is thrilled that Kevin asked her. Believe me she is loving suddenly being Grandmom Jen to all these boys. It gives Molly and me a break from being her sole targets for maternal love and interference.”

Roxanne laughed and all four O’Briens waived good bye as Justin pulled away.

When Justin and John got home Brian and Gus were playing a video game. After that game John took over as Gus’s opponent while Brian and Justin went to the study. Justin told Brian about his conversation with Emmett and that they were going to meet at the diner for breakfast. He also let Brian know about Nathan wanting to include the special painting in the show.

Brian was quiet for a few moments. “If that is what you want to do than I think that is a good thing. It might help close another door on that horror.”

Justin gave Brian a kiss. “That’s a good thought.”

Brian suggested that he drive up to the city with Justin. While Justin and Gus had breakfast at the diner Brian wanted to pay a visit to Lindsay and Melanie. It seemed like a perfect opportunity for a meeting since both Gus and JR were spending the weekend with their fathers.

After several rounds of video games Brian carried a tired Gus up to his room where Justin read him a few pages of a story before Gus was out for the night.

After a round of sex Brian and Justin took a shower which turned into another sexual encounter before they put on some shorts and collapsed exhausted into bed.

Early the next morning came the knock that announced that Gus was awake. Brian told Sonny Boy to come in. Gus ran into the room and jumped onto the bed between his fathers. He gave his Daddy a good morning hug and kiss before lifting the pillow off Papa’s face. Gus was startled that Papa was wide awake and grabbed him in a tight hug. Gus giggled as he freed himself from Justin’s arms. Justin suggested that they go to breakfast at the diner which sent an excited Gus hurrying to his room to get dressed.

John elected to stay home and wait for Peter. Justin realized that John really didn’t feel comfortable on Liberty Avenue. It was all just a little too much gay for John and that was okay.

Brian pulled up in front of the diner. Justin leaned over and whispered in his ear.

“Don’t leave any fingerprints; turn down the AC to screw up the time of death calculations and hurry back here to establish you alibi.”

Brian laughed and gave Justin a quick kiss. Brian told Gus he had some errands to run and would be back in a little while. When Justin and Gus got out of the car; Gus happily took his Papa’s hand as they walked into the diner.

Debbie was working the breakfast shift and spotted them as soon as they came in and called out to Gus who hurried over to be tightly hugged and kissed by Grandmom Debbie. Justin got his own rib crushing hug and kiss. Emmett walked in shortly after they arrived and Gus ran to his Auntie Em. Emmett picked Gus up and swung him around causing Gus to scream with laughter. One patron mumbled a complaint about the noise and got a slap to the back of his head from Debbie.

“If it’s too loud for you here get the fuck out. I’ll cancel your order. Otherwise shut the fuck up or you might get a hot cup of coffee in your lap!”

His companions in the booth laughed as he quickly apologized to Debbie who was holding a pot of hot coffee in her hand.

Emmett, Gus and Justin settled in their own booth. Gus sat next to Auntie Em but worried about Papa sitting alone on the other side of the booth. “Papa you’ll fit over here with Auntie Em and me.”

Justin told him he was fine where he was. Debbie came over to take their orders. “So where is Brian this morning?”

Gus spoke up. “He’ll be here soon he had some errants to run.”

Debbie chuckled. “That sounds about right for Brian.”

Justin laughed. “Gus, Daddy is running errands.”

Gus just shrugged before ordering pancakes with strawberries and whipped cream. Justin decided to have the same thing as Gus while Emmett settled for scrambled eggs and bacon.

Meanwhile Brain drove to the loft building. He parked and used his code to get inside the building. He took the elevator upstairs and knocked on the loft door. Melanie partially opened the door with the security chain attached.

“Brian! This is a surprise.”

Brian smiled. “Hi Mel. Justin and Gus are having breakfast at the diner. I have a couple thing I need to talk over with you and Linds.”

Melanie closed the door, took off the chain and opened it fully for Brian to come inside. Lindsay was at the kitchen sink washing dishes. Brian slid the door closed behind him. He took a couple steps into the loft and then started to scream as loudly as he could.

“WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON WITH YOU TWO CRAZY, FUCKING BITCHES!”

A wide eyed Melanie took a couple steps back away from Brian and Lindsay dropped the plate she was holding and it dropped to the floor and shattered.

Melanie recovered herself first. “Brian, my god what the fuck is wrong with you?”

Brian glared at her. “Oh did my screaming frighten you ladies? If it frightened you two strong, Independent women just imagine how a seven year old boy feels when people who are supposed to love and protect him start screaming. Or imagine his four year old sister being so frightened she scurries into his bed so he can protect her.”

Melanie and Lindsay flushed with embarrassment as they glanced at each other. Neither woman had anything to say.

Brian looked from one to the other. “Nothing to say. Guess it is too intimidating to deal with another adult when you are used to just having to terrorize children.”

Melanie’s eyes flew open. “That is not fair and you know it. We don’t ever set out to frighten our children. We can’t help it if they overhear us arguing.”

“The funny thing is that Gus told Justin that sometimes you yell at him.”

Again the two women looked at each other. Lindsay dried her hands and came over to stand beside Melanie.

“Brian you are overreacting. Yes sometimes at the end of a long day I may raise my voice to Gus but every parent has done that at one time or another. You don’t understand what it is like to have a child around the house constantly.”

Brian shook his head. “It seems to me that Gus lived with us for about six weeks and the only time I came close to raising my voice to him was when I thought he was going to hurt Justin arm after he was shot.”

Lindsay assumed what Brian always thought of as her schoolmarm face. “Well you aren’t stuck all together in a space this small plus you have help around the house. I don’t think you can compare your situation to ours.”

“Well Linds you are correct I would never compare your situation to mine. Justin and I have not brought ourselves to the edge of bankruptcy. If this living arrangement doesn’t suit you, find a different one. You aren’t prisoners here; you can move whenever you want.”

Lindsay looked at Mel with an expression that was both hopeful and to Brian’s eye somewhat triumphant.

“Well we don’t know what other places you might have available for us.”

Brian was wide eyed and pretended to look confused for a moment. “This is the place Justin and I are willing to give you free but you and Mel are free to move wherever you like. Maybe you are looking for somewhere as big as all outdoors. I believe that was where you were heading before Justin and I bailed you out, to the great outdoors!”

Melanie had the grace to look embarrassed but Lindsay was outraged. “I can’t understand you Brian. I can’t understand how you can be so cruel to me. I am the mother of your child!”

Brian shook his head. “Lindsay do you think that anyone ever forgets who Gus’s mother is? You seem to spend quite a bit of time reminding people of that fact. Just because we didn’t fuck to make Gus does not mean you are the Virgin Mary; no is interested in worshipping at your feet. Least of all me!”

Lindsay trembled with rage and Melanie grabbed her hand not sure what Lindsay might do.

“Brian how can you say these things to me. We have been friends since college and now it appears our friendship means nothing to you. I understand that you and Justin are in a relationship but does that cancel out the years of our friendship?”

“Were you my friend when you moved my son to another country? Were you my friend when you used my time with Gus as blackmail whenever you wanted money or favors from me? Were you my friend when you were openly rude to my nephews for no reason? Are you my friend when you are increasingly rude to the man I love?”

Lindsay was quiet. Melanie put her arm around her partner’s shoulder.

“Brian I think you are being a little harsh. We appreciate your help but that doesn’t give you the right to talk to Lindsay like that.”

“You know Mel I could almost agree with you but when my son tells us he is frightened here in the home that Justin and I are providing for all of you I will not let that continue. You and Lindsay need to either start to get along better or fucking do us all a favor and separate for good. I bought Gus his own cell phone and we programmed my cell number and Justin’s cell number into the phone. We told him he can call us whenever he is frightened. If we get any calls I’ll do whatever I need to do to protect my son.”

Lindsay had tears streaming down her face but if she thought that would affect Brian she as wrong.

“What does that mean Brian? I think you should have consulted Mel and I before you bought that phone. I’m not sure we can let Gus keep the phone.”

Brian smiled. “If you take that phone away from him, get ready for a custody fight. I will NOT allow you to terrorize my son. I grew up in a house where I was afraid most of the time. That will not happen to Gus. I will never allow that to happen to my son.”

Lindsay gave a short bitter laugh. “Really what chance would someone with your history have of getting custody of my son?”

“Hmmm, history? Let me see if I remember this correctly. You and Mel separated the first time when she had sex with another woman. The second time you separated was because you had sex with a man and managed to lose your job. Then you decided to move to Canada without really doing serious research and while you lived there despite my very generous support you managed to bring yourselves to the brink of financial ruin.

Now you are living here rent free while Justin and I pay tuition for Gus as well as JR. Hell we are even paying tuition for Mel! Just how will you get along if we stop all financial support and you lose your job at the Bloom Gallery? Let’s not forget the fact that you have a gambling problem and Mel’s charming personality prevented her from even working steadily as a paralegal in Canada.

Justin and I make a lot of money. You both gave us a good report to the state when we were getting custody of John and Peter. Since we have had custody we have gotten great reports from the welfare department psychologist. Of course, we’ll insist Gus talk to a child psychologist and he can supply his own history of being afraid you were all going to have to live in the street before we moved you all back here and now he is frightened when you two scream at each other and at him.

You’re the lawyer Mel, or at least you were, what do you think my chances would be in court?”

Melanie didn’t say anything but Lindsay was still outraged. “Gus and I could always go and live with my parents if you stop supporting us.”

Brian laughed. “Wow Mel, looks like you are getting kicked to the curb. I guess when the ship is sinking it is every woman for herself.”

“That is not what I meant Brian and you know it. Mel and I are partners.”

Brian shook his head. “First of all Mother and Daddy Petersen are trying to sell the old homestead so not sure they are looking for houseguests and secondly I don’t ever see them allowing Melanie and JR to move in even if they did grudgingly accept you and Gus.
Don’t forget what I know about Mother and Daddy which I will also be happy to share in court. I’m not sure how child friendly that house would seem with Daddy the sexual harasser and Mother a nympho? I am not convinced they would welcome their unemployed, penniless, lesbian daughter with open arms.”

Lindsay tried a different approach. “Brian, why are we even talking about this? We have been friends for years, we can’t let other people come between us. Personally I wonder what Justin said to Gus to get him to say that we frighten him.

I understand your fascination with Justin but I have to say that I think he is jealous of your old friends and tries to drive a wedge between us. Justin is making my job at the Bloom Gallery very difficult. Sidney and I worked well together in the past but now everything becomes a conflict. I think it is fine for you to buy Justin a gallery but now he suddenly thinks he knows better than the rest of us about how things should be done.”

Melanie was wide eyed as she stared at Lindsay. She quickly returned her gaze to Brian who she was afraid might actually harm Lindsay. Melanie was pretty shocked to see that Brian seemed calm and even had a small smile on his face.

“Actually Lindsay, Justin is the reason you even got the job. Sidney wasn’t really sure about you after the big Auerbach dust up. Justin is also the reason you still have your job; Sidney feels you are more trouble than you are worth and wants to fire you. Gus told Justin about being frightened because he loves and trusts Justin not because Justin tricked him into saying it.”

Lindsay made no reply so Brian turned to Melanie.

“So Mel you never gave your legal opinion on my chances of getting full custody of Gus?”

Melanie shrugged and looked quickly at her partner and then back to Brian.

“Well with a good lawyer, which I am sure you would hire, I think you stand a good chance of getting custody based on our current circumstances. However we would fight you tooth and nail and a court battle like that would ultimately be bad for Gus.”

Lindsay was wide eyed with shock.

“You know Brian eventually Mel and I will get back on our feet and you won’t be able to threaten us in this way. You might not be able to see as much of Gus as you would like.”

Brian laughed. “We have a legally binding visitation agreement. If you attempt to not live up to that agreement I will make you very, very sorry.”

Lindsay was outraged. “That was signed under duress. We will get that overturned.”

“Really Linds? I prefer to think that it was just part of the agreement for Justin and me to supply you with financial assistance. I don’t see much chance of you getting that visitation overturned.”

Lindsay burst into tears and Melanie moved closer to her and put her arm around Lindsay’s waist.

Brian impassively looked on. “Dry those crocodile tears and try and understand how things really are instead of how you wish them to be. You two need to get your act together or there will be dire consequences. If you attempt to poison Gus against me or Justin I will crush you both without a second thought. Underestimate me at your peril!”

With those parting words Brian opened the loft door and left.

Lindsay pulled away from Melanie. “How could you let him talk to me like that and to threaten us without saying anything!”

“Lindsay you need to think about what Brian said. He has a lot of money and can afford the best legal representation. I would not like to face him in court on a custody issue. You trying to make Justin the villain here was absurd. Brian will never take anyone’s side against Justin.

You and Michael need to open your eyes and see that Brian has changed. If you try and make him choose between friendship with you and his life with Justin you are doomed to losing his friendship.”

Lindsay didn’t answer; she just went back to washing the dishes with a thoughtful expression on her face. Perhaps it was time to try a different tack to get Brian on her side.

When Brian got back to the diner; Gus was laughing at something Emmett was telling him. Gus had whipped cream smeared around his mouth and his hands were sticky with syrup.

As Brian walked past Debbie she smiled and handed him a clean wet cloth. “I think you need to clean up Gus and Sunshine.”

Justin looked up at Brian as he walked over to the both. Brian nodded and smiled Justin did the same.

Once Brian got his boys cleaned up they all said good bye to Emmett and started back to the house.