Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Sickness & Health, Good Times & Bad

Chapter 77

When Justin woke up he had a shower and got dressed. He missed his morning coffee delivery from Gus. When he got down to the kitchen; John and Peter were sitting at the counter talking to Alice & Charlie while they waited to be picked up by Jennifer.

Alice poured Justin a cup of coffee while he grabbed some eggs from the refrigerator. As he took a bowl out of a cabinet Alice spoke up.

“For heaven’s sake Justin. If you want eggs just let me cook them for you. You do remember you pay me to be the housekeeper.”

Justin chuckled. “I guess I do have a little trouble letting you do things for me. Sorry.”

He sat out the counter with the nephews while Alice cooked him some over easy eggs, served with rye toast, a big glass of fresh squeezed orange juice and a small bowl of sliced peaches. Justin’s breakfast was served with a stern look from Alice that allowed no discussion.

Justin asked John and Peter if they had their lists of required school supplies and was assured they had them. Just as he finished his breakfast the doorbell rang. The two boys took off running to the entrance hall, with Peter carrying a small plastic bag. Justin followed at a slower pace.

When he got to the hall Jennifer had already given each of her grandsons a hug and kiss. Justin walked over and gave his mother a kiss on her check. Jennifer softly patted her son’s cheek.

“You look great honey. What are your plans for today?”

“I have a meeting at the Bloom Gallery. I should be home well before you guys. Did you want to stay for dinner Mom?”

“No thanks honey. Molly leaves for school next week so lots going on at home. Also tomorrow morning Alice and I are going to Viola’s new apartment to be sure it is all in order for her before she gets home from the hospital.”

Justin looked confused. “Viola?”

“The grandmother of the little girl Ted and Blake have taken in. She is in the hospital for chemo and while she was in there Ted had her moved to an apartment closer to them.”

Justin nodded. “I know the story I just didn’t know the grandmother’s name. That is really nice of you and Alice.”

Jennifer nodded.

Peter handed her the bag he was holding. “John and I bought this for you in San Francisco.”

Jennifer with her own version of a “sunshine smile” took the bag and pulled out a bright pink T shirt with a decal of the Golden Gate Bridge.

John spoke up. “We got a large size so you can use it over your swimsuit or just relaxing around the house.”

Jennifer gathered both boys in a hug. “This was so sweet of you. Thank you so much. It’s perfect!”

John and Peter looked a little embarrassed but mostly really pleased. “It’s more than I got from my son.”

Justin laughed. “There is chocolate on its way from Brian and me.”

“Oh honey, you didn’t really need to get me anything.”

Justin just shook his head. “Mom you know you don’t need to buy all the school supplies. Brian and I can take the boys later for whatever you don’t get today.”

“I can certainly afford to buy school supplies for my grandsons. I’m not Nancy Petersen.”

Justin had a confused look on his face until Jennifer related the story of running into Lindsay and her mother buying school clothes for Gus.

Justin and the boys laughed at the end of Jennifer’s tirade. Justin said. “I told Brian I was sure there was a story on how you got permission to spend the afternoon with Gus.”

“I didn’t really give Lindsay any choice. She really can be quite difficult if you let her. I just bulldozed over her.”

Alice came out of the kitchen so she and Jennifer could firm up their plans for the next morning. Once that discussion was over Jennifer, John and Peter left for Kinnetik to pick up Gus. Justin went back to the kitchen for a second cup of coffee before he left for his meeting at the gallery.

Justin pulled into the parking lot at the Bloom Gallery and couldn’t help himself from carefully looking around the lot before he got out of the car. He knew it was stupid but he couldn’t help feeling somewhat apprehensive as he walked over to the rear entrance, the key in his hand.

The first person Justin met inside was Pat Davis. (A/N: I know I referred to her as Patti in an earlier chapter but that was a mistake.) She gave him a big smile. “Hi Mr Taylor.”

Justin returned her smile. “Hi Pat. Please call me Justin. Would you mind helping me get some paintings out of my car?”

Justin and Pat went back outside to his car and in a couple trips got the paintings into the gallery building. They lined them against a wall in the storage area. Pat stood back to admire them.

“Justin these are amazing. I know Sidney will be pleased.”

Almost as if he had heard his name Sidney appeared in the storage room. “Justin! You must have made good time driving up from Washington. I was just coming to see if you arrived.”

Justin smirked. “Translated; that means Brian called you or had someone call you to make sure I wasn’t too panicked to get out of my car.”

Sidney rolled his eyes. “Cynthia.”

Justin laughed. “I won’t say I didn’t look around the parking lot before I got out of my car but I did get out and walk slowly to the building entrance.”

Sidney smiled and nodded his head. “Nathan Aura is meeting with Lindsay to go over some details for his show. I’m sure he would love to talk with you.”

“That would be great. He can even get a look at the paintings I brought to get displayed at his show.”

Pat spoke up. “Why don’t I go get Nathan and bring him back here so he can meet Justin and see the paintings.”

Sidney took the opportunity to look at the paintings Justin brought with him. A few minutes later Lindsay appeared with a young man with who had dark hair, a goatee and pierced ears. Definitely going for the standard young bohemian artist look. Pat Davis followed them into the storage room.

Justin put out his hand which Nathan shook. “It’s an honor to meet you Mr Taylor.”

“Please, I’m Justin.”

Lindsay looked at Justin’s paintings leaning against the wall. “Is this all you are planning on displaying? They won’t even fill the final wall of the show.”

Nathan turned his attention to the paintings. “These are amazing. You know my art is dimensional using lots of mediums, very different from your art. Looking at these paintings I can really see them displayed with my art. I think they would make an interesting contrast.”

Justin smiled. “That was the same idea I had; that me mix the artwork. I thought that would make it more interesting for the show attendees.”

Nathan examined the paintings. “I can really see which of my pieces I would pair with your paintings. Is this the only canvases you plan on hanging at this show?”

Justin chuckled. “Nathan this is your show. I want your art to dominate.”

Nathan nodded, still examining the paintings. “If you had any other paintings I would love to see them. I’d love to see if there are any others I would like to display with my art.”

“Well you are welcome to come to the house to see my other paintings. We live down in Washington Township so you would have to drive down there to see them.”

Nathan got a big smile. “Will you be home this weekend? My wife and I could drive down either day. We wouldn’t stay long.”

“I know we’ll be home all afternoon tomorrow. We have friends coming over to spend time with our son and our nephew.”

Lindsay looked surprised. “Who do you have coming over?”

Nathan turned to Lindsay with a startled look on his face. Justin explained a little of their odd family dynamic. “Lindsay and my partner, Brian, have a son together. This is Gus’s weekend to spend with us.”

Justin turned to Lindsay. “Patrick and Kevin O’Brien are coming over tomorrow afternoon. Patrick and John want to get some soccer practice. Brian will probably kick the ball around with them for a while. Gus is very sweet with Kevin and Kevin adores Gus.”

Lindsay shook her head. “Playing soccer with teenagers doesn’t seem like something Brian would spend much time doing. I’m not sure it is a good idea for Gus to spend a lot of time with a boy like Kevin.”

Justin was annoyed but tried to stay calm. “I think it is a good thing for Gus to spend time with Kevin. They have fun together.”

Nathan couldn’t help asking. “What’s the issue with Kevin?”

Justin was uncomfortable with having this discussion with a virtual stranger but didn’t see any way out of answering Nathan.

“Kevin has Downs Syndrome. He’s a couple years older than Gus. Apparently there was a boy with Downs who went to school with Gus last year. Gus knew all about Downs when he met Kevin. As I said Gus is very sweet with Kevin and even got him interested in reading. Kevin’s parents are thrilled.”

Lindsay felt obliged to comment. “Of course they are thrilled but I think it could be harmful for Gus to be too friendly with that boy. I’d rather see him form friendships with normal children.”

Sidney and Pat looked at Lindsay with open mouthed shock. Nathan raised his eyebrows. “Justin, your partner must be a sweet man since it’s obvious Gus didn’t get that attribute from his mother.”

Lindsay flushed with embarrassment. Justin tried to change the subject back to Nathan’s trip to his studio. He asked Pat for some paper and a pen so he could write down directions for Nathan. Afterwards Nathan asked to speak to Sidney and Justin.

The three men went into Sidney’s office. Nathan pursed his lips and waited a minute before speaking. “I’m sure it won’t be a big surprise but I was pretty shocked by Lindsay’s comments about that little boy, Kevin. I have a quite seriously impaired cousin so it is a touchy subject for me. I would prefer to not deal with Lindsay during my show. Pat seems very capable. I prefer to work with her if that is okay with you guys.”

Sidney answered. “Whatever makes you feel comfortable Nathan. Lindsay has a lot a lot of experience with gallery work but I understand your feelings. I’ll let Pat know she will be in charge of coordinating the show with you. If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to come to me with them.”

After Nathan left Sidney and Justin looked at each other and shrugged. Justin spoke first.

“Let me talk to Lindsay. This is largely a personal manner; I think I should deal with it.”

Sidney nodded and walked over to the office door and opened it. “Lindsay would you please come in here.”

As Lindsay walked into the room. Sidney walked out.

Justin was sitting in one of the guest chairs in front of Sidney’s desk. He indicated Lindsay should sit in the other chair.

“Linds, Nathan has asked not to deal with you in coordinating his show. Sidney’s only concern about hiring you was your professionalism. Today you spoke, I believe inappropriately, about personal business in a business setting. I hope that this will never happen again.”

“You started the personal discussion when you said you were having friends coming over to play with Gus.”

Justin shook his head. “I was explaining why I would be at home so Nathan could come and see my paintings. Your comments about Kevin offended Nathan and your comment about Brian not wanting to play soccer with John and Patrick was inappropriate. I don’t want to explain to Gus why I fired his mommy so you still have your job. However another incidence like this and you will leave us no choice but to let you go.”

Lindsay stood up. “Are we done?”

Justin nodded. “For the moment but we do have a meeting scheduled with Sidney and Pat. I’ll expect you in the conference room in fifteen minutes.”

Lindsay stormed out of the room brushing past the startled Sidney. Sidney walked into the office where Justin stood looking unhappy.
Sidney shut the office door. “So I am thinking that didn’t go well.”

Justin shrugged. “I just don’t understand Lindsay. We used to be pretty good friends but now she seems determined to be as difficult as possible.”

Sidney nodded. “My recommendation is that we terminate her employment.”

“Sidney, I just can’t do that. How could I explain to Gus that I fired his mommy? There is no way she wouldn’t use that against me and even Brian. It may come to that but I would really like to avoid that situation if at all possible.”

“I understand Justin. I have no issues with Lindsay when you are not around so my suggestion is we just ignore her whenever possible. Would you like a tour of my new apartment upstairs?”

Justin replied that he was anxious to see one of the remodeled apartments. Sidney led the way upstairs. Justin was surprised Sidney chose the smallest apartment in the middle of the building. Sidney explained that he really didn’t need more space.

Sidney proudly opened the door to his new apartment and led the way in to a nice sized foyer with a coat closet and a built in bench with cubbies underneath. They walked through a large archway to a spacious, light filled, open concept room. A modern kitchen was in one corner with a breakfast bar separating it from the dining area. There was a large master suite on one side of the main room and a guest room and bath on the other side. Justin smiled at how proud Sidney was of his new home and how pleased he was to show it off to Justin. Toilets were flushed, closets inspected and kitchen cabinets opened it was a very complete tour. Sidney told Justin that Jennifer had recommended an interior decorator who was going to furnish the apartment. Except for a few mementoes Sidney didn’t plan to move anything from his current house to the apartment.

Once the apartment was ready for him to move in; Sidney planned to have Jennifer list his home for sale.

It was a little over half an hour later when the two men walked into the first floor conference room. Pat smiled and Lindsay pointedly looked at her watch.

“I thought the meeting was supposed to start fifteen minutes ago.”

Before Justin could say a word Sidney placed his hands on the conference table and stared at Lindsay.

“Lindsay! You are aware that Justin and I own this gallery. You work for us, we pay your salary. So if you sit waiting for us for hours that is okay because that is what we are paying you to do. I am starting to regret my decision to hire you as gallery manager.
I am not sure where this attitude of entitlement is coming from. Today you have already alienated the artist for our grand opening show and shocked us all by your comments about a young boy with Downs Syndrome. I would think you would try and keep a low profile but NOW you think it is your place to reprimand Justin and me for our arrival time to this meeting.

You need to consider if you wish to remain as gallery manager. If it were solely my decision I would let you go right now. However I know there are personal consideration and Justin prefers to keep you on. If your attitude does not change we will let you go regardless of those personal considerations.”

Lindsay’s face was blood red and she mumbled an apology. Pat Davis looked like she wished she was anywhere else. Justin suggested they get on with the meeting.

When they had gone over all the arrangements for the grand opening; Justin had a suggestion to make. He pulled some papers from his battered, old messenger bag.

“I would like to suggest that we set aside one percent of our net profit from each show and establish the Norma Bloom Endowment for the Arts. This money would be used to encourage art among young people in the Pittsburgh area.

The board of directors will be Sidney and me, the gallery manager and assistant manager, Sidney’s son and daughter and the gallery accountant.”

Sidney’s eyes filled with tears. “Justin that is a wonderful plan. Norma would be so pleased. I don’t really know what to say to you.”

Pat was excited by the idea. “I’m sure the Dean of Students at PIFA would love to work with us on this.”

Justin shook his head. “We have the docent program and I know PIFA has some scholarships for deserving students. I want this endowment to help in small ways. Daycares that can’t afford art supplies. Schools that want to give a prize for student art shows and other things like that. I want it to stay very community based.”

Sidney nodded. “That is exactly what Norma would like to see happen. We need a written proposal from anyone requesting a donation and I want us to investigate each request to be as sure as possible that it is deserving. I don’t want us giving money to some country club that can easily fund its own programs.”

Justin agreed and asked the other three to look over the document he gave them and to get back to him with any suggestions or request before he had the lawyer draw up the final endowment documents.

The meeting broke up and Pat reminded Justin that the prints of his pencil drawings had been delivered and he needed to take them home and initial the backs before the grand opening. She had the box in her cubical for him. Justin thanked her and said he would get the box on his way out.

Justin followed Sidney into his office. “Sidney I just need to make a quick phone call.”

Justin called Brian’s cell. “Hey Sunshine what’s up.”

“It’s a long story but I don’t want you to take any calls from Lindsay until we have a chance to talk.”

Brian chuckled. “Did you fire her?”

“No, but I think Sidney would like to fire her.”

“Well if that is what works better for the gallery go ahead and do it. We’ll cope.”

“We’ll talk at home. Later.”

“Later.”

Sidney was sitting behind his desk and Justin sat in one of the guest chairs. “I’m sorry Sidney to have created this problem for you.”

“Justin the problem is caused by Lindsay not anyone else. She either need to accept the situation here or we will have to let her go. I am not inclined to let her behavior go on too long.”

Justin nodded. “Brian said to fire her if that is what is best for the gallery but I don’t want to do that right now.”

Sidney smiled. “I understand. Hopefully I can work with her and we can get over this unpleasantness.”

They discussed their plans for the new endowment before Justin picked up the box of prints from Pat and drove back home.

In the Washington Target several people were amused by the attractive, well-dressed blonde trying to keep track of three young boys pulling school supplies from the shelves and throwing them in a cart. Jennifer had the three lists of required school supplies in her hand and attempted to sort through the cart contents to be sure they had everything needed. Finally she just surrendered and decided Justin & Brian could cope with making sure the boys had what they needed for school.

Jennifer pulled into the driveway right behind Justin. Justin pulled into the garage and walked over to his mother’s car as the buys grabbed the many Target bags out of her trunk.

Justin gave his mother a kiss on the cheek. “Are you sure you don’t want to stay for dinner?”

“No honey. I need to get home. I’m not sure if the boys got everything they need. It got crazy at the store. You or Brian are going to have to check and make sure they have everything they need.”

“Okay Mom. You and Tucker will need to come to dinner sometime soon and experience John’s new chef’s skills.”

Jennifer said that sounded wonderful and after getting hugs and kisses she headed for home. Justin and the boys went into the house. Gus happily holding his Papa’s hand and busily telling him all about bowling and shopping. John and Peter were chuckling at Gus’s ongoing monolog.

Once they were inside Justin had the boys unload their purchases onto the dining room table. Once everything was sorted Justin was amazed to discover that all the required school supplies had been purchased along with a few extra items.

Justin asked John & Peter to take their supplies up to their bedrooms. He and Gus started to load Gus’s school supplies into his new backpack.

“So Little Man it sounds like you had a fun afternoon.”

“Yes Papa. Bowling was awesome. John is a really good bowler and he helped me get better. Having cousins is lots of fun. Grandmom Jen is always so nice, she smiles and laughs all the time. I wish everyone could be like her.”

Justin laughed at Gus’s description of his mother. “Well Gus you know Grandmom Jen is my mom and I can tell you she isn’t always smiling and happy.”

Gus nodded and looked at Justin with a serious look on his face. “Did she yell sometimes and make you feel afraid.”

Justin frowned. “No my mom was not a big yeller but she let me know when I did something wrong. She never made me afraid but sometimes made me feel bad because I had done something she didn’t think was right.”

“Mommy and Mama are starting to yell again. Sometimes when they do it a lot it makes JR and me afraid. Sometimes JR comes in my room and gets in bed with me when they yell.”

Justin wanted to get in his car and drive to the loft to knock some sense into Lindsay and Melanie. Instead he smiled at Gus.

“Sometimes people just get used to yelling and don’t realize how loud they are being. Does Mommy or Mama ever yell at you or JR.?”

Gus big eyes shone with tears. “Sometimes they yell at me but mostly they yell at each other.”

Justin took a deep breath. “You know what Little Man; tomorrow Daddy is going to take you out and buy you your own phone. It will have our phones numbers programmed into it so if you ever feel afraid you can call Daddy or me and we will come to wherever you are.”

Gus got a big smile on his face. “Really Papa?”

“Yup that way anytime you need us you will be able to call us.”

Gus gave Justin a big hug. Justin was thinking about how to break this latest news to Brian and how to prevent his partner from killing Lindsay and Melanie.

Once they had Gus’s backpack all packed, Justin asked him to take it up to his bedroom. Gus said while he was up there he would put on a swimsuit in case they went into the pool. Justin laughed and said he was sure they would go in the pool soon.

At Kinnetik Brian told Carole that he was in a meeting if Lindsay called. He also checked the number when his cell rang and ignored calls from Lindsay and the Bloom Gallery. Finally he decided to just go home. He gathered some paperwork and his laptop into his briefcase and told Carole he was leaving for the day.

As Brian pulled out of the Kinnetik parking garage he saw Lindsay going in the front door of the building. He was glad she didn’t see him as he sped down the street on his way to Washington Township.

When Brian arrived home Alice let him know that everyone was outside. He hurried upstairs to change before going outside. Gus and his cousins were tossing a beach ball around in the pool. Justin was seated at a table nearby with two piles of prints in front of him.

Justin turned when he heard the door open and got up immediately to come over and give Brian a welcome home kiss. “You’re home early. That is always a good thing!”

“Well I decided to leave early after avoiding Lindsay calls for an hour or so. I left just in time. I saw her going in the front door of Kinnetik while I was driving out of the garage.”

Justin burst out laughing which caused the boys to look over. Gus scrambled out of the pool to come over and give his father a hug and kiss along with a request to go in the pool.

Justin shook his head. “I think it is time for a little pool break. I need to talk to Daddy for a little while. How about you, John and Peter take your remote control cars over to the tennis courts.”

That sounded like an excellent plan to Gus. Justin called over to John and Peter who got out of the pool and went with Gus into the pool house to retrieve their cars before running to the tennis court.

Brian sat down at the table and took a sip of Justin’s ice tea. “What are you doing Sunshine?”

“I need to initial these prints for the gallery gift shop.”

Brian frowned. “I think we need a new plan. You can’t be overworking your hand for something this trivial.”

Justin smirked. “I’m inclined to agree. I think the next set of prints will be numbered but no more initials. Too much trouble.”

Brian looked pleased at his victory which made Justin chuckle. “There’s no reason for you to look so smug. I had already decided to forego the initialing without your input.”

Brian just shrugged but still looked pleased with himself.

“So Sunshine what happened at the gallery today that has caused me to avoid speaking with my dear friend Lindsay?”

Justin just looked for a moment at his partner sitting there with a smirk on his face. Then he told Brian about everything that had happened at the Bloom Gallery.

When he finished Brian’s smirk had been replaced by a frown. “Just have Sidney fire her. There is no reason for you or Sidney to put up with her nonsense.”

“No Brian. Lindsay would just use that to cause trouble between Gus, you and me. I’m pretty sure she will behave herself with Sidney and I can just ignore her.”

“There is no reason for you to ignore Lindsay. We can explain to Gus that even though we are family and we love each other sometimes it is difficult to work together. He’s a smart little guy, he’ll understand.”

Justin smiled. “I’m not so sure he would understand. I do love you for being so willing to take my side even when it could cause a problem for you and Gus. I told Gus you would take him tomorrow and buy him his own phone.”

“Do you really think it is appropriate to get a seven year old his own phone? I’m pretty sure the munchers will have a problem with Gus having a phone.”

“After my mom dropped Gus off he told me that Grandmom Jen is nice and she smiles and laughs all the time. He told me that Lindsay and Melanie have started screaming at each other again and that it frightens him and JR. So I told him that you would get him a phone and we could program our numbers into it so he can always call us if he is afraid.”

Brian didn’t say anything but he gripped the arm of his chair so hard his knuckles were white. Justin leaned over and gave him a kiss. “You know maybe this is partially our fault. Maybe we should look for a bigger place for them to live?”

Brian shook his head. “They are going to drive me fucking crazy. I wish they would either decide to get along or just call it quits. I am going to read them the riot act about their behavior. Now that we have the legal visitation agreement they can’t use our time with Gus as a weapon. I’m going to go check on the car races.”

Brian bent over to give Justin a kiss before strolling over to the tennis court. Justin went back to his initialing. Alice came out with a pitcher and refilled Justin’s glass of ice tea.

“Dinner can be ready whenever you want. I just need to cook the spaghetti.”

Justin smiled. “Thanks for the refill Alice. I’d say we will be ready for dinner in about half an hour. Gus is very excited about having spaghetti and meatballs. I think we’ll eat out here so he doesn’t have to wear a shirt and can be messy. It makes him so happy.”

Alice laughed. “His Daddy will be glad when Gus outgrows the messy stage.” Justin agreed.

Later at dinner Gus happily had tomato sauce dripped all down his chest. Justin, John and Peter were amused by the horrified expression on Brian’s face. As soon as dessert was finished Brian whisked Gus off for his bath.

Later all five of them watched a video until Gus fell asleep. Brian and Justin took him upstairs and retired to their bedroom for the night.

*************************************************************************************

The next morning at 8 while everyone in the main house was still asleep, Jennifer pulled up in front of the cottage. She and Alice loaded the car and left for Viola’s new apartment. Carl was waiting out front with a cooler full of frozen food prepared by Debbie.

He helped them carry everything inside and was than dismissed by Jennifer and Alice who had a plan that they efficiently carried out. When they were finished the refrigerator and freezer were stocked with a selection of food and beverages.

The bedroom had flowered sheets and bedspread with matching curtains. There was a small cooler beside the bed with some soda, water and Ensure; there were some crackers and cookies on one bed side table; so Viola did not have to go all the way to the kitchen for refreshments. There were fresh flowers from Justin & Brian’s garden in the living room and the central A/C was set at a comfortable 68.

By 10:30 Jennifer and Alice were on their way back to Washington.

Meanwhile at Ted & Blake’s house, Nina had gotten them up early since she was so excited about the arrival of her new bedroom furniture. About the same time that Jennifer and Alice were heading South Nina’s bedroom furniture was delivered.

Once the very amused delivery men had left; Nina danced around her “princess room” while her Teddy Man and Daddy put the final touches on the room. She watched with wonder as they arranged the canopy on her bed. When it was all done she squealed with delight as she walked around examining each object. She sat at her new vanity and brushed her hair and giggled at her reflection.

When the room was finished it was time for Ted to go and pick up Viola at the University hospital. Blake and Nina went to the new apartment to welcome Viola to her new home.

Viola was pale and tired as Ted helped her into his car. He helped her out at the apartment and told her that Nina was waiting inside. Viola straightened her spine and put a smile on her face. Once they went inside it became easier for her to smile.

Nina was delighted to see her Nana and very happy with the new apartment. Viola was amazed to see her furniture all arranged and the flowers. When Viola walked into her new bedroom tears rolled down her cheeks as she looked around the room. She thought it looked like something out of a magazine.

Ted’s old bedroom furniture was freshly polished and gleamed. Viola smoothed the bedspread with her hand and was amazed by the quality. She checked out the contents of the cooler and looked over at Ted.

“You have gone to a lot of trouble. Thank you.”

Ted smiled. “It was my friends Jennifer and Alice who were here this morning that got this all set up. The only thing Blake and I did was let the movers in. Here is a new cell phone for you. My cell numbered is programmed as number 1 and Blake’s cell is number 2. I also wrote our numbers on a card that’s in the night table drawer.”

After Nina and Viola exchanged hugs and kisses they left Viola alone. She changed into a nightgown in the bathroom and got into bed. She couldn’t help sighing with delight as the cotton sheets and soft mattress cover. It was the most comfortable bed she had ever been in.

Viola physically felt pretty horrible but as she opened a cold bottle of water from the cooler beside her bed and realized there was a new TV mounted on the wall opposite her bed, remote control on the night table, she realized how very fortunate she was.

Viola turned the TV on to some mindless show and snuggled down in her bed.