Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Sickness & Health, Good Times & Bad

Chapter 65

Once Gus and JR left with their mothers, Brian headed to the study. Justin went back to the kitchen where John and Peter sitting at the table drinking milk and eating some cookies.

Justin laughed. “You didn’t have enough to eat with dinner and dessert.”

John shrugged. “There’s always room for Alice’s cookies.”

Justin grabbed a cookie of the plate in the table. “John have you gotten responses to your email birthday invitations?”

“Yeah, quite a few. I have a document started with the names of the guys who are coming.”

Justin smiled. “Good job. You should print out some invites and take them to the game tomorrow in case someone didn’t get the email. Peter what do you think about coming to San Francisco with me when I go out to oversee the show setup instead of waiting to come with your brother and Uncle Brian?”

Peter was delighted and said he would love to do that.

Justin left the nephews to their snack and walked down to the study. Brian was sitting on the couch and sipping a glass of Beam.

Justin poured himself a glass and sat down next to Brian leaning against him and sipping from his glass.

Brian finally broke the silence. “I know we’ll see a lot more of him but it’s still hard to say good bye to Sonny Boy.”

Justin nodded but didn’t say anything. Brian looked at him. “No words of cheer Sunshine?”

“Nope. We both know we’ll see Gus next weekend but that doesn’t make it any easier for him to leave. I hope Lindsay doesn’t try and make trouble with Gus spending time with us. Hopefully Melanie can talk some sense into her.”

Brian took a big swallow of his drink. “I’m sorry I pressured you into having Lindsay work at the gallery. Hopefully she will get over this jealousy and just do her job.”

“You didn’t really pressure me. I’m sure everything will work out. Lindsay will realize she can’t get you to side with her against me and she’ll settle down.”

Brian just laughed. “You are the positive one in this relationship.”

Justin boosted himself up to give Brian a quick kiss. “I’m positive that I love you and you love me and that is all that matters.”
Brian leaned over for a more passionate kiss.

After a few minutes of frantic kissing Brian broke off the kiss, got up, walked over to the door and locked it. Justin stood up and started to take off his clothes. Brian pulled off the T short he was wearing and careful spread it over Justin’s end of the couch to catch any errant bodily fluids.

Justin smiled and thought to himself – hedonistic Brian meets OCD Brian. That thought was interrupted by Brian pushing him back onto the couch and attacking his mouth. Brian worked his way down from Justin’s mouth, spent some time at his nipples before kissing his way down his stomach and sucking Justin’s cock into his mouth.

Once Justin was fully hard, Brian started a world class rim job until Justin begged him to fuck him NOW. Being a considerate lover Brian did as he was asked. Afterwards they used Justin’s T shirt to clean up a little before pulling on their pants and running up to their bedroom, fortunately without encountering the nephews.

Brian and Justin took a shower where blow jobs were exchanged before pulling on some shorts and T shirts and going back downstairs. Justin, of course, was hungry and so they made their way to the kitchen. After Justin finished his snack they went in search of John & Peter finding them in the basement game room.

Brian and Justin challenged the nephews to a ping pong game which they won. The second game was won by the nephews. Halfway through the third game Justin felt his hand cramp and the paddle fell onto the floor. Brian quickly dropped his paddle and announced the game was over. He led Justin over to a chair where he sat down and pulled Justin onto his lap. He took Justin’s hand and started to massage it as Justin leaned back against him.

John and Peter had never seen Justin’s hand cramp and weren’t sure what was going on. Finally John spoke up. “Is there anything we can do? Should we call 911 or something?”

Justin smiled and explained this was an after effect of his bashing years ago. When he got tired or overworked his right hand it cramped up. Luckily, he said, Uncle Brian was an excellent hand massager.

Justin grunted. “I am a world class hand massager! We’ll have to finish our ping pong tournament another day. You guys can go ahead and play a game or do whatever you want. Once Justin’s hand feels better we’ll go up to bed.”

John and Peter decided to switch to billiards which was on the other side of the room. A short time later the uncles said good night and Brian said he would lock up and set the alarms.

The next morning they were all up early to get ready for John’s away soccer game. John made scrambled eggs, egg white omelet for Uncle Brian, for breakfast before they left.

At the game Kevin was disappointed that Gus was not with them. They assured him that Gus would be at the game next week and would be at John’s birthday party after the game. Justin told Greg that he hadn’t mentioned his resume to Brian yet.

Greg looked surprised but Justin said not to read anything into that except they had a busy day yesterday. Coach Logue was happy that John had done well on his placement test so that he could play on the academy soccer team.

John’s soccer team won and were on their way to an unbeaten season since their opponent for next week had the worst record in the summer league. They stopped for Thai takeout on the way home for their lunch.

Justin went to the studio after lunch, Brian headed to the study and the boys went swimming in the pool. A quiet afternoon at the Taylor-Kinney home. Brian grilled hot dogs and hamburgers for dinner and Justin made a pasta salad.

Josh called in the late afternoon to invite Peter on another picnic the next day and after Justin spoke with Mary the plans were finalized. John thought the Uncles could use some alone time so he called Patrick who was happy to ask his parents of John could come over tomorrow afternoon. Once again Justin confirmed with Greg that it was okay for John to spend the next afternoon at their house.

Sunday morning Justin and the nephews went to McDonalds for breakfast. Brian naturally declined the invitation to join them. After breakfast Justin and the boys went to a store in downtown Washington that sold official Washington Academy clothing. John and Peter picked out four school outfits and then they headed home.

Right before lunch Josh and his parents arrived to pick up Peter. Brian drove John to the O’Briens and when he got back home a naked Justin was waiting for him in the hot tub with two glasses of wine. A delighted Brian dropped his clothes as he walked across the patio and was completely naked when he stepped into the hot tub with his favorite blonde. He chuckled as that blonde climbed into his lap.

Half an hour later, two smiling satisfied men were sitting in the hot tub sipping their wine. Brian put his arm around Justin and pulled him close. “You know Greg acted a little odd at the game yesterday and again when I dropped John off now. It feel like he is waiting for me to say something. Any idea what’s going on there?”

Justin laughed. “Actually I do know what’s going on. You keep distracting me when we are alone and this is something I don’t want to discuss in front of John and Peter. One of the resumes we got from the recruiter for the art director job was Greg’s. Cynthia and I put him on the short list.”

Brian shook his head. “And you didn’t tell me this when you knew I was going to see him. What does being on the short list mean exactly?”

“Patti is going to contact Greg and another guy and you, me and Cynthia will interview them.”

Brian rolled his eyes. “And yet you didn’t think to tell me any of this.”

Justin kissed Brian. “You have kept me distracted. I would have told you before the actual interview.”

Brian tried to look annoyed but Justin just laughed and scrambled back onto Brian’s lap. Brian forgot all about being annoyed.

When John and Peter got home their uncles were relaxing on the patio reading the Sunday paper. Justin had been appalled when he realized how little the nephews knew about current events. So he had started to mark articles in the paper that John & Peter had to read. The articles formed the basis for many dinner time discussions. John hated the new interactions but since they involved reading and Uncle Justin, two of Peter’s favorite things, he accepted the new plan better.

Once they were done with the paper Justin organized a pool volleyball game which he and Peter won before they ordered pizza for dinner. It was an early night for everyone and the house was dark by 10 PM.

The next morning Brian was up early. Once he was ready to leave for work he lifted the pillow off Justin’s face. “Have a good day Sunshine, see you later.”

Justin gave Brian a kiss good bye. “Don’t forget to get home early and try not to fret about Joan coming to dinner all day.”

Brian rolled his eyes. “I do not “fret” and as you will recall I am the one who persuaded my dear mother to come to John’s birthday dinner.”

Justin gave Brian a big smile. “I love you even when I don’t understand you.” A laughing Brian went down to the kitchen to have something to eat before he left for Kinnetik.

Alice was making a birthday cake for John, chocolate cake with butter cream icing. She asked John if he wanted to help and he was happy to learn about cakes. Of course he and Peter also got drafted to peel potatoes for potato salad.

Charlie was sent to the farm for fresh corn and Alice had bought asparagus to roast; all requested menu items from John for his birthday dinner. Justin spent most of the day in his studio. He was still trying to wrap his head around the fact that Joan Kinney was coming to their house for dinner. He did several sketches which featured Joan as a wicked witch, a dragon and the zombie queen.

Jennifer called him part way through the day to announce that she couldn’t promise she wouldn’t tell off Joan if she said anything critical about Brian or Justin. Justin laughed and told his mother that Brian had a secret fantasy that involved Jennifer & Alice dragging Joan out of the house and beating the crap out of her.

Jennifer’s answer was she didn’t believe Brian used the word “crap” and she would consider making Brian’s fantasy come true. When Justin asked her if she was kidding she disconnected the call. That inspired a sketch of Alice and his mother holding down Joan and punching her. It made Justin smile just to look at the sketch.

Brian came home around 3 o’clock and after changing he headed over to the studio. Justin greeted him with a smile and a kiss. He showed Brian the sketches he had done. Brian laughed so hard and long at the sketch of Joan being attacked by Jennifer and Alice that Justin was afraid he might pass out.

Justin went to get changed and Brian headed down to the kitchen. He could tell Peter was nervous about dinner and even John seemed to be having some second thoughts about the guest list for his birthday dinner.

Justin arrived in the kitchen and sent John and Peter upstairs to take their showers and put on clean clothes. A short time later Charlie arrived from the party store with helium balloons and crepe paper streamers. Justin, Brian and Charlie went outside to decorate the patio.

Alice came out with tablecloths for the buffet table and pushed two table together so that everyone could eat together. Brian and Justin got out the chair cushions along with the outdoor glasses, dishes and flatware from the pool house. Afterwards Justin went inside to make a big batch if his adult lemonade.

Around 5:30 Jennifer, Tucker and Molly arrived. Alice put a tray of crab appetizers in the oven and sat outside and visited with everyone before the final dinner preparations. Brian and Tucker had beer while everyone else enjoyed Justin’s lemonade.

Alice went inside to check on the appetizers, Peter came with her to refill the ice bucket. The doorbell rang and they both went to the front door.

Joan Kinney was standing there with Marty the town car driver behind her.

Peter gave them a smile. “Hi Grandmother. We’re all out on the patio. I’ll show you the way.”

Joan looked ill at ease when she saw Alice. She remembered their last pretty unpleasant encounter. Alice was determined to make John’s birthday dinner a success. She held out her hand to shake Joan’s with a smile on her face.

“Hello Mrs Kinney. I know John will be happy that you are here. He was so anxious for you to come to his birthday dinner. Do you want me to take your sweater? We are eating out on the patio in case you think you might want it.”

Joan said she would keep her sweater and followed Peter through the house and out onto the patio.

Alice smiled at Marty. “Come on out to the kitchen to get a drink. Than you can hang out in the media room until her majesty is ready to head home. I’ll let you know when dinner is ready and you can come out and make a plate.”

Out on the patio John came over to say hello to his grandmother and thank her for coming. Joan handed him an envelope.

Brian came over to his mother and took her by the arm over to where the Taylors were sitting. “Mother, of course you know Justin. This is his mother Jennifer, her friend Tucker and her daughter Molly. Everyone this is my mother Joan Kinney.”

Everyone stood up. Justin smiled and Joan gave him a nod of her head. Jennifer extended her hand which Joan took. “Mrs Kinney it’s so nice to meet you after all this time.”

Joan had a small smile on her face. “Nice to meet you.”

Tucker and Molly also said hello and got a nod from Joan. Jennifer motioned for Joan to sit in the chair next to her where Justin had been sitting.

Justin asked Joan what she would like to drink and she said what everyone else was having was fine with her. Charlie wandered over and Brian introduced him to Joan just as Alice appeared with a tray if appetizers.

Alice and Charlie both went back into the kitchen for the final preparation for dinner. Jennifer offered to help but Alice said they had it handled.

Dinner was served just a little after six. Joan was amazed by the quantity and variety of food on the buffet table. “My goodness there is so much food here. I hope it won’t go to waste.”

Brian chuckled. “Don’t worry about that Mother. Just don’t get your hands near Justin, John and Peter while they are eating or you could lose a finger.”

All three whined. “Briaaan.” Which made everyone but Joan laugh.

Alice spoke up. “These are all the things that John requested for his birthday dinner and everyone should leave room for birthday cake and homemade peach ice cream.”

Joan was still surprised by the amount of food. “I was never one to cater to children’s’ whims about food. I just made sure they were getting a balanced diet.”

Charlie surprised them all by answering. “Well Joan this looks like a balanced diet to me. The corn was grown on our family’s farm as were the potatoes in the potato salad. We grew the peaches for the ice cream right here on the property. Everything here is fresh and nutritious. I suggest we all just enjoy it.”

Justin gave Charlie a sunshine smile and while everyone was busy filing their plates Alice gave her husband a quick kiss on the cheek. Marty came outside to load his own plate once everyone else was seated.

Brian told him to help himself which he did before returning to the movie he was watching.

Conversation at dinner was normal but Joan had little to say. Brian had a few comments to make about how much Justin was eating which caused Justin to stick out his tongue at Brian. Everyone laughed except Joan who had a disapproving look on her face.

Jennifer said that Justin had always had a hearty appetite. Brian commented that was true for things other than food as well.

Jennifer smiled but commented. “That’s enough of that talk at the dinner table Brian. Behave yourself.”

Brian had a frown on his face as he answered her. “Sorry Mother Taylor.”

That caused John and Peter to giggle and Molly said. “Brian’s in trouble. He might not get any dessert.”

Again everyone laughed but Joan and she keep the disapproving look on her face. Several People got up for seconds but Joan placed her flatware on her plate and sat quietly.

Since it was John’s birthday Molly helped Peter clear the table. As they worked Jennifer said that John should open his presents.
Tucker went to where they were stacked and carried them over to the table and put them in front of John.

From his uncles John got an envelope with the registration information for his cooking seminar next week. They also gave him a pair of soccer shoes, like Patrick O’Brien’s, that John had expressed an interest in having. John gave them both a big smile and thanked them.

Jennifer and Tucker gave him a set of chef’s knives in a carrying case. John came around the table to hug them both. Jennifer gave John a kiss on the cheek and told him she loved him.

Molly’s gift was a couple new shirts which John admired and thanked her.

Peter’s gift was wrapped in the comics from the Sunday paper. Peter explained the wrapping paper. “We always wrapped gifts in the comics. Mom used to save them every week so we had plenty to wrap even Christmas presents. She used to say it was a waste to spend money on wrapping paper.”

John smiled at his younger brother and was amazed when he unwrapped the box and saw the black leather jacket inside.
“Oh my god! I don’t believe it.”

Peter had an ear to ear smile. “I know it was something you always wanted. Uncle Justin let me get it for you.”

Justin was pleased at how excited both boys were by the gift. “It might be a little big for you at first John but I wanted you to be able to wear it for at least a couple years.”

John looked like he might cry and came over and hugged Justin much to his uncle’s amazement.

Alice and Charlie gave him a chef’s apron which Alice had embroidered his name on along with a book on vegetable gardening. John thanked them both and hugged them.

Finally John opened the envelope from Joan. Inside was a generic birthday card and a twenty dollar bill.

“Thank you Grandmother for the gift and for coming to my birthday dinner.”

“You’re welcome but I’m sorry you found it necessary to take the Lord’s name in vain. It doesn’t seem necessary to do that over a leather jacket. What is all this talk and gifts concerning cooking?”

Justin put his hand on Brian’s thigh and gave it a little squeeze.

John kept a smile on his face. “I have gotten interested in learning to cook by watching all the great stuff Alice makes. I asked the uncles to pay for a three day seminar on cooking next week as my birthday gift. Grandmom Jen and Tucker gave me the knives for the class and Alice and Charlie got me the apron to wear.”

Joan shook her head. “I don’t think that cooking classes are really an appropriate thing for a young boy to attend.”

Jennifer was incredulous. “Really Mrs Kinney that is a ridiculous thing to say. Haven’t you ever watched the cooking channel on television? Many of the great chefs of the world are men. I think it is a great thing for John to learn and something that will be useful for his whole life.”

“Well my dear I can understand you feeling that way. You did raise a gay son.”

Tucker actually took Jennifer’s hand, afraid she would attack Joan Kinney. Instead Jennifer laughed.

“Well my dear Mrs Kinney so did you. I’m not sure you are aware of this but actually there is no one on earth more gay than Brian.”

Brian stood up and gave a little bow. “I don’t like to brag but I can’t deny it. There is on one gayer than me.”

Joan made a disgusted noise. “That has nothing to do with me. I did the best I could to raise decent children.”

Jennifer rolled her eyes. “REALLY! You are going to brag about your mothering skills. You pay no attention to a wonderful son like Brian and your other child is a neurotic, drug addicted, neglectful mother and attempted kidnapper. I don’t see you winning any mother of the year awards dear.”

“Their father was a very difficult man. I did the best I could.”

Justin tried to say something but his mother waved him off. “You know Mrs Kinney I stayed with my husband for quite some time to keep our family together even though the marriage was no longer satisfying to me. So I do understand trying to give children a stable environment but the minute my ex-husband disowned Justin for being gay I dropped that jerk like a hot potato. Craig was only verbally abusive if he ever would have laid a hand on either of my children I would have killed the bastard while he slept.”

Joan took a deep breath. “Obviously I took the marriage vows I made before God more seriously than you took yours.”

“Craig broke those vows when he turned against one of our children. I believe a mother’s first duty is to keep her children safe. I would give my life to keep Justin or Molly safe. As a matter of fact I feel the same way about Brian. I would do anything for Brian just as I know he would do anything for me. Brian is a smart, successful, wonderful, generous man.”

“I love my son which is why I pray every day for him to realize he is living an immoral life and needs to go to church and confess his sins.”

Jennifer’s eyes narrowed. “I think it is immoral for someone to condemn their son’s lifestyle but still accept money from him every month. You seem to have completely forgotten all about that let him without sin throw the first stone commandment. You need to drop any stones you are holding right now.”

John and Peter were wide eyed and fascinated watching this exchange between their actual grandmother and the woman they loved as a grandmother.

Joan stood up flushed with annoyance.

Charlie stood up at the same time. “You need to sit back down and think about what Jennifer told you Mrs Kinney. Brian and Justin are two of the finest, most decent men that Alice and I have ever known. When you go to your church I think you should be thanking God for having such a wonderful son and wonderful grandsons.”

Joan sat down. “I wasn’t aware I was invited here to be attacked.”

John turned to his grandmother. “You were invited here because I thought maybe when you saw how great the uncles are and how nice they are to Peter and I, you would understand why we want to stay with them. I thought you might see how awesome Grandmom Jen is and how nice she is to us. I thought you might be interested in what a great cook Alice is and how cool Charlie is. I thought maybe you would realize what a real family is like and be happy for Peter and me. Looks like I was wrong.”

Joan didn’t know what to say.

Alice stood up. “I think it is time for birthday cake and ice cream. Why don’t you help me get that Joan?”

A surprised Joan got up and followed Alice inside. Once inside Alice turned to Joan. “Joan I want you to know that Charlie and I go to church every Sunday. We are not Catholic but our religion is very important to us. We raised a son and daughter and they went to church with us every week as long as they lived in our home. I’m not sure they are still quite that faithful about church attendance.I must tell you that Brian and Justin are the most loving, devoted couple I have ever met.

Some of our friends were surprised when Charlie and I came here to work because Brian and Justin are gay. We let those people know in no uncertain terms that Brian and Justin are decent, honorable, generous men and we were proud to work for them. On the first day John and Peter came into this house I told them I knew they would be happy here because this was a house full of love. The last time you were here you got a taste of how protective I am of them.

So I want to say to you that I think you are a fool to deprive yourself of being a part of their life. Grab that cake. I’ll get the ice cream.”

Joan did as she was told and the two women went back outside.