Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Sickness & Health, Good Times & Bad

Chapter 61

Peter was able to get himself together pretty quickly. Once they got in Jennifer’s car he was pretty quiet and just looked out the window. When they stopped at a red light Jennifer stroked his cheek softly and Peter looked over at her.

“How about we stop at my house before I take you home. We could have something to drink and a snack and just talk for a little while.”

Peter made a valiant attempt at a smile. “Okay.”

Jennifer pulled into her driveway and got out of the car. She came around to the passenger side and put her arm around Peter’s waist and was pleased to get an actual smile from him. Once they were inside she led the way to the kitchen.

“What would you like to drink?”

“Whatever you are having is fine with me Grandmom.”

“I think tea is a nice comforting thing to have while we chat. I have some good cookies we can have with the tea. They aren’t homemade like Alice’s but they are good brand.”

Peter chuckled. “Mom and Grandmother always bought generic cookies so that level has been set pretty low.”

Peter sat at the table in Jennifer’s sunny kitchen. Jennifer put the kettle on the stove and arranged some cookies on a plate. She put a couple Earl Grey tea bags in a tea pot. While waiting for the water to boil Jennifer put two matching cups and saucers on the table with the plate of cookies and a sugar bowl and creamer.

When the kettle whistled Jennifer filled the teapot, brought it over to the table and sat down. Peter was fascinated watching her. It was like watching a movie. Jennifer in her sensible heels, tailored slacks, blouse, blazer, string of pearls and tasteful earrings moving around her kitchen was not like anyone Peter had ever encountered. He thought she looked and acted like a dream grandmother. In Peter’s eyes Jennifer was perfect.

Once the tea brewed Jennifer filled their cups. Peter added cream and sugar to his cup. Jennifer waited until he had eaten a cookie and taken a sip of tea before she asked how his visit with Claire had gone.

Peter kept his gaze on Jennifer face with her gentle smile and kind eyes and all the details of the visit poured out of his mouth.

Jennifer reached across the table and took his hand. He told her that he wanted the police to know what Claire had told him. He wondered if he should tell Carl about his visit.

Jennifer suggested that might put Carl in an uncomfortable position. She said he should talk to Brian or Justin about his visit and they could contact their lawyer who would advise them on the correct way to handle this information.

Once all the information had spilled out of him Peter started to cry again. Jennifer quickly went around the table knelt in from of his chair and pulled him into her arms. Stroking his hair and back and murmuring comforting words until Peter was once again back in control.

On the drive down to Washington Jennifer was happy to see that Peter acted more like normal. They chatted easily on the drive. At the house Jennifer was surprised to find only Alice at home. Alice told them that Daphne and Justin has picked up her new car and gone to visit Daphne’s parents. Justin had called to let Alice know they were staying for dinner at the Chanders.

They dropped Gus at Kinnetik on their way and he and Brian would be home in time for dinner. John and Charlie were out in the garden. Peter got a good bye hug and kiss on the cheek from Grandmom Jen. He thanked her for taking him to see his mother and told her that he loved her.

After Justin and Daphne picked up her new car they dropped a very happy Gus at Kinnetik to spend the rest of the day with his Daddy.
Then they drove to Daphne’s parents’ house. The Chanders still lived in the house where Daphne grew up.

They were delighted to see their daughter and admire her new car. They were only slightly less delighted to see Justin. During the years of their daughter’s friendship with Justin they had come to know him very well and for a while hoped he might become their son in law. Mr and Mrs Chanders were happy to see him looking so well after the kidnapping attempt and anxious to hear about his upcoming art show in San Francisco.

To Justin their house seemed to have hardly changed over the years. He felt like a teenager again when he and Daphne looked over all the memorability that was still spread around her old bedroom. Mrs Chanders insisted they stay for dinner. Justin called Brian’s cell, he got his voice mail and left a message that he was staying at the Chanders for dinner. He also called Alice and let her know he and Daphne would not be home for dinner.

Daphne’s Mom made them their favorite childhood meal of fried bologna sandwiches with mac and cheese. There was a lot on reminiscing and laughter around the dinner table. Daphne’s Mom had also made Justin’s favorite dessert, her signature chocolate cake with butter cream icing. Justin managed to eat two huge slices with a large glass of milk to wash the cake down.

By the time Justin and Daphne got back to the house it was after 8 PM. They came through the front door and Justin heard voices coming from the media room. He and Daphne walked to the media room doorway. A family friendly DVD was playing on the huge TV. John was sprawled on the floor with some big pillows. Peter sat at one end of the couch and at the other end Gus was leaning against Brian who had his arm around his son’s shoulders. John had control of the remote so he paused the movie.

Gus jumped down and ran over to Justin. “Hi Papa. Welcome home.” Justin picked him up and got a hug and kiss. Gus leaned toward Daphne and gave her a big hello and a kiss. Peter and John each said hello but Brian remained silent.

Justin put Gus down and he went back to his place on the couch. “This movie is almost over then I’m going to have a snack and take my bath. Will you read me a story when I get in bed?”

Justin smiled. “Sure thing Little Man. I’m just going to go up and change into some comfortable clothes.”

Daphne gave Justin a look before she spoke up. “Brian thanks again for the car.”

“No problem Ms Chanders it was my pleasure.”

Justin rolled his eyes at her but she ignored him. “Well I appreciate it. I’m going to go upstairs and take advantage of a free washer and dryer on the same floor as my bedroom. I’m going back to NYC with all clean clothes. No trips to the yucky laundry room for me this week! ”

Justin and Daphne headed upstairs. When they got upstairs Daphne turned to Justin. “So Brian is angry with you?”

“Apparently.”

“You don’t seem too surprised.”

Justin shrugged. “Brian never called back after I left him the message about having dinner with your folks. That was not a good sign.”

Daphne looked upset. “I’m sorry Justin. We shouldn’t have stayed for dinner.”

Justin gave her a hug. “Daph I’m a grown man. I don’t report to anyone. If Brian is annoyed too fucking bad for him. I am no longer that love-sick twink chasing after Brian. I enjoyed our visit with your parents and if Brian has a problem with that he’ll have to deal with it.”

Daphne gave Justin a tentative smile and went into her bedroom.

Justin went into the master bedroom and changed his clothes. He signed onto his laptop and checked his email. There were a couple emails from the San Francisco gallery letting him know his art work had arrived and asking some questions about his upcoming show. He answered those and went through the rest of his emails.

He also worked up a rough draft of an invitation to John’s birthday party and emailed that to him. Justin smiled wondering just how many changes John would request. He remembered being horrified by his mother’s suggestion for birthday invitations during his teen years.

Justin looked up when the bedroom door opened. Brian stood there for a moment with a frown on his face. Before tersely saying. “Gus is ready for his story.”

Justin didn’t say anything; he just got up and went into Gus’s bedroom. Gus managed to stay awake for the entire story tonight.
After the story they talked for a while before Justin gave Gus a kiss and wished him a good night.

When Justin got back to the bedroom Brian was lying in bed working on his laptop. There was a manila envelope laying on Justin’s pillow. He picked it up and looked over at his partner who was studiously avoiding looking his way. “What’s in the envelope?”

Brian didn’t even look up. “It’s from Cynthia. She printed out some resumes she got from the recruiter. Since you are finally going to have a meeting about the new art director she thought you would want to go over them.”

Justin was quiet until Brian looked his way. “I’m really sorry that the meeting got delayed because I got shot by a man sent to kidnap me by your sister and her drug dealer. I don’t know how I could have been so selfish.”

“Look I’ve had a busy day. I’m not in the mood for a big discussion with you. I was trying to get ready for my trip and had to contend with Gus all afternoon. When I get home it turns out Peter is upset about his visit with Claire and your mother sicced him on me. Actually she told him to talk with one of us and since I was the only one here that got to be me. Peter wants the police to know that Claire admitted she was in on planning the kidnapping. Mother Taylor suggested we contact out lawyer to find out the best way to do that. I told Peter that you would contact the lawyer tomorrow.”

Justin was quiet again for a few moment. Brian knew, from experience, that was not a good thing. “My god Brian I had no idea how difficult your day was. You had to spend time with your son and on top of that you had to have a conversation with your nephew about his visit with your sister. We need to find out if this is nomination time for Nobel prizes. You would be a shoo in!”

“I am always happy to spend time with Gus but I was busy at work today. I need to be prepared for my meetings tomorrow and Thursday. I am meeting with some important prospects along with Leo Brown. We need to be sure that Kinnetik can continue to keep you in the style you have become accustomed to.”

Justin eyebrows shot up. “I have accustomed myself to the lifestyle you choose. Let’s not even pretend that you didn’t pawn Gus off on Carole or Cynthia or Ted for at least some of the time he spent at Kinnetik. Since you choose to leave town for two days during the last week of Gus’s visit I’m not so sure that the happy to spend time with him seems appropriate.”

Brian looked angry now. “That’s business. I have no choice!”

“Please! Are we going to pretend this trip is not your choice? You don’t have some Simon Lagree type boss ordering out of town. Would anyone have died if you waited until next week to travel? I spend an afternoon with my oldest friend and her parents and that is a problem for you but you decide to leave town for two days and everyone needs to accommodate your choices.”

Brian broke eye contact and looked back down at his laptop. “This is an important prospect I’m seeing in Philadelphia. They are ready to sign a contract worth millions. They couldn’t be kept waiting.”

“And only the all-important, indispensable Brian Kinney can meet with them. This is a prospect that liked that Cynthia and Ted could take over a presentation. That Kinnetik wasn’t a one man show. Could it be that threatened you just a little?”

Brian didn’t reply so Justin went into the bathroom to get the plastic container with his bandage supplies. When he came out he went over and grabbed the manila envelope off the bed. Brian looked up. “I’m going to get Daphne to help me change my bandage.”

Brian put down his laptop and started to get out of bed. “I can do that.”

Justin continued to the door. “I neither want nor need your help. I certainly don’t want to interfere with your business perparations.”

Brian started to say something but Justin went out the door. He deliberately left the door open since he knew that would annoy Brian to have to get up and close it. He knocked on Daphne’s door and went inside.

Daphne could see that Justin was furious. She didn’t comment on that until she had changed his bandage and told him the wound looked really good. There was no sign of infection.

Justin thanked her. Daphne smiled and decided she had to say something. “Is everything okay with you and Brian?”

Justin shook his head. “Brian is behaving like an immense butthead.”

“I’m sorry I drug you out to visit my parents.”

“Daph! Enough about that. There is nothing wrong about me being out for an afternoon. Brian is just being unreasonable. He’ll get over it or if not too fucking bad. I’m going downstairs. See you in the morning.”

Downstairs he went to the media room and talked with Peter and John about Peter’s visit with Claire. The nephews seemed somewhat relieved to really know Claire’s role in the kidnap attempt. It relieved any guilt they had about perhaps misjudging their mother.

Peter and John could both tell that Justin was annoyed and from Brian’s earlier behavior they knew he was upset. Justin told them he was going to go out and sit on the patio so they shouldn’t turn on the alarm.

As Justin was leaving the room Peter asked him. “You aren’t being overly harsh with Uncle Brian are you? He really missed you this evening.”

Justin smiled. “Not overly harsh. Your Uncle Brian is a selfish butthead!”

After that pronouncement Justin headed out to the patio. He grabbed a glass of wine in the kitchen and turned on the outside lights before settling on a lounger to review the resumes Cynthia has sent him. The first resume had a yellow posted where Cynthia wrote: “This one is kind of a surprise.”

The resumes were from a recruiter that Kinnetik used. They were not in response to any job posting by Kinnetik but just some prospects the recruiter thought might be a good fit for art director. The resume with the post it was Greg O’Brien’s.

It was a beautiful summer night with a gentle breeze blowing. Justin occasionally admired the stars as he reviewed the resumes. He heard the patio door open behind him and was fairly certain it was Brian.

Brian came and stood beside the lounger. “Planning on coming to bed soon?”

Justin continued to look at the resume in his hand. “No.”

There were a few moments of silence. “So what are you doing?”

“Looking over these resumes for art director.”

“You could do that later. The meetings not until Thursday.”

Justin looked up at his partner a smirk on his face. “This is business.”

Brian leaned down to kiss Justin but he turned away. Brian let out a dramatic sigh. “Okay Justin I missed you and I acted really badly.”

Justin smiled but still didn’t look at Brian. “And what else?”

There was another dramatic sigh. “You know that I so adore you.”

Justin laughed. “You really acted like a butthead. I’m not sure I should forgive you.”

Brian leaned down, took Justin face in his hands and kissed him long and wet. His tongue invaded Justin’s mouth and explored it completely. When the kiss was done Justin slid the resumes back in the envelope and stood up. “Okay I forgive you. Let’s go to bed.”

They hurried into the house, while Justin locked the door Brian set the alarm. A laughing Justin ran up the stairs followed closely by Brian. Once they behind the locked door of the master bedroom Brian broke speed records in pulling off Justin clothes.

Once his favorite blonde was naked Brian picked him up and tossed him onto the bed. Brian pulled off the shorts he was wearing and joined Justin on the bed. He started with a bruising kiss on the lips and worked his way down Justin’s body; first on the sensitive area on the side of his neck before working his way down to spend some time sucking and gently biting his nipples.

By the time Brian licked his way down his partners heaving stomach he encountered a stiff dick rising from the curly blonde hairs which he gobbled into his mouth. Justin was bucking on the bed when Brian switched his attention to giving him an expert rim job and then probing Justin’s hole with lubed fingers. Finally with Justin begging Brian to fuck him; he pushed his rock hard cock fully into Justin with one smooth push.

Justin grabbed Brian’s ass to keep him fully inside him before releasing his hold and begging Brian to fuck him hard. Brian happily complied while covering Justin’s face with kisses. As Brian felt his climax building he grabbed Justin dick and quickly pumped him to his climax and a few second later he came as Justin’s ass clamped down on his cock.

Justin crossed his legs over Brian’s back as they lay together both of them breathing hard and their mouths locked together in a kiss. Eventually Brian rolled off Justin onto his side of the bed. He reached into his night table drawer, removed the container of wipes that he kept there and used a couple to clean both of them up.

Justin settled in against Brian’s side. “See how much more pleasant life is when you behave yourself.”

Brian gave Justin a quick kiss and a slap on his bottom. “Don’t get carried away with yourself Sunshine just because I am willing to overlook how badly you treated me.”

Justin chuckled. “You’re feeling pretty sure of yourself now that your carnal needs have been satisfied but don’t forget how miserable your life would be without me.”

Brian put his arm around Justin and pulled him closer. He turned and looked at him with just the hint of a smile. “Unfortunately we are both very much aware of how true that is Sunshine.”

Justin got a huge smile on his face. “Lucky for you I feel the same way about you.”

Both men chuckled and after a quick kiss they settled down ready for sleep.

The next morning when Brian’s alarm went off Justin groaned but gave Brian a quick kiss before he turned over and pulled the covers over his head.

Brian quickly shaved, showered and dressed. He grabbed his suitcase before going over to the bed. He pulled the covers back and gave Justin a passionate kiss. “I’ll miss you Sunshine. I’ll miss you a fucking lot!”

Justin smiled and softly stroked Brian’s cheek and whispered “Later” before pulling the covers back over his head. Brian laughed and went out the door. He went into his son’s bedroom. Gus was sitting up in bed with a big smile on his face. “Good morning Daddy.”

Together father and son went down to the kitchen. Brian poured himself a cup of coffee and a glass of guava juice. Gus had a glass of milk and some toast with jelly. Once they were done eating Brian made Justin’s coffee. Gus gave Brian a kiss good bye and told him he hoped he had a good trip before carrying the travel mug of coffee upstairs to his Papa. Brian went out the front door and got into the town car waiting to take him to the airport.

Justin had put on a T shirt and shorts and was sitting up in bed when Gus arrived with his coffee. Gus put the mug on his night table and climbed into bed for his good morning hug and kiss. Gus mentioned that pancakes might be a good idea for breakfast. His Papa was in a very good mood this morning and happily agreed.

They were in the kitchen laughing and talking while Justin mixed pancake batter as the other inhabitants of the house came into the kitchen. Gus helped Peter set the table while John warmed syrup in the microwave and poured juice for everyone.

Daphne with her hair sticking out like a fright wig walked into the kitchen and sunk into a chair. “Would someone please bring me a cup of coffee?”

Justin laughed and poured a mug of coffee adding cream and sugar he handed it to Gus to deliver. Daphne huddled over the mug breathing in the warm fumes before taking her first sip. She looked around the room at all the smiling faces. “Everyone looks like they are in disgustingly good mood for so early in the morning.”

Gus giggled and hugged her from the side. “Good morning Aunt Daphne. Papa is making us all pancakes for breakfast!”

Daphne looked over at the breakfast chef who had a big smile on his face and was humming to himself as he flipped the first batch of pancakes. “So Justin I guess you had nice night.”

Justin’s smile got even larger. “It was outstanding!”

Gus nodded knowingly. “Daddy was really happy this morning too. That means he and Papa did lots of kissing last night.”

Justin blushed while John, Peter and Daphne roared with laughter. Daphne finally calmed down enough to question Gus. “So Gus why do you think there was lots of kissing last night?”

Gus had a very serious expression on his face. “Daddy has a special smile that he only gets after he and Papa have been kissing.”

More blushing from Justin and more laughter from everyone else. Justin waved his spatula. “Time for a new topic of conversation or all these pancakes are going down the garbage disposal.”

The laughter stopped just as Alice walked in through the door. “I’m sorry to ruin all your fun. Were you laughing about me?”

Justin smiled. “No I was their victim but I just threatened to put the pancakes down the disposal and told them to change the topic of conversation.”

That made Alice laugh as the first batch of pancakes got distributed.

After breakfast John and Peter loaded the dishwasher and Daphne went upstairs to get dressed and finish packing. Alice told a very excited Gus that Charlie would take him to the farm to see the new calf. He hurried upstairs to get dressed.

Alice asked John what he wanted for his birthday dinner on Monday. He chose fried chicken with Alice’s sweet potato casserole and roasted asparagus. Justin suggested that maybe he wanted to invite Grandmom Jen and Tucker to the family dinner.

As Justin expected John had some “suggestions” about the birthday invite for his party next Saturday. Justin told him to print out the rough draft so they could mark it up with John’s changes.

When John ran off to do that Peter sat down at the table and told Justin how great Grandmom Jen had been to him. Peter explained her suggestion about contacting their lawyer about how to approach the police with Peter’s evidence.

Justin told Peter he would call Larry Buchanan and arrange a meeting. Justin also told Peter that he was going on his delayed tour of the Bloom building tomorrow if Peter was interested in going along. The day would also include a morning meeting at Kinnetik and a meeting at the Bloom gallery after the tour of the building.

Peter felt very proprietary about the Bloom Gallery so he was anxious to accompany Justin. John came back with the printed document and Peter went upstairs to get dressed. Justin and John pretty quickly came to an agreement over the party invite. Justin told John he would update the electronic copy and send it out to the email list he had gotten from Coach Logue.

Justin suggested that John invite the O’Brien family. Since next weekend would be Gus’s weekend with his fathers he and Kevin could hang out together. He also suggested that John tell Peter to invite Josh so he would have a friend to hang with at the party.

John agreed. He looked slightly embarrassed and told Justin that Steve Jurich had set up John’s Washington Academy retest for Friday morning. Justin told him not to get nervous because he was sure John would do great on the test. He told him that Uncle Brian and he were both really proud of how John has taken his studying so seriously. John just shrugged but looked pleased.

John gave his Uncle a quick hug and a thank you before going upstairs to dress.

Alice came over to the table with a fresh mug of coffee fixed the way Justin liked it. She gave the surprised Justin her own quick hug. “You are such a good man Justin Taylor. Those boys are so lucky to have you in their lives and so are Charlie and I.”

Justin gave Alice one of his sunshine smiles. “We are all lucky to have each other.” Alice smiled and nodded.

Justin was still sipping on his coffee when Gus, John and Daphne appeared back in the kitchen. Daphne asked John to bring her suitcase down from the upstairs hall which he hurried off to do. Gus was dressed except for his sneakers which he held in his hands.
Justin boosted Gus up on his lap and got his shoes on and tied. Gus gave Aunt Daphne a hug and kiss good bye before running out in the yard to find Charlie.

Justin and Daphne walked towards the front door arm in arm. John was waiting with her suitcase. Together they all went out to her car. Daphne turned to Justin who gathered her in a tight hug. “Thanks you so much for my beautiful new car.”

“Bye Daph it was great to spend time with you. Drive safely. I love you.”

Daphne had tears running down her face. “I love you too!”

She walked over to her car and popped the trunk so John could put her suitcase inside. She thanked him and gave him a hug good bye.
Justin stood and waved as Daphne drove down the driveway. Charlie’s pickup appeared from behind the house and followed Daphne’s car.
Justin and John waved back to a very excited Gus before turning and walking back in the house.

John wandered off to do his own thing while Justin went upstairs to shower and dress. He checked his cell phone which was on his night table. He smiled to see that Brian had sent him a sex text and replied with a smile on his face before going into the bathroom to shave and shower.