Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

Brian and Justin have a barbecue  but Michael does not have a good time.

Sickness & Health, Good Times & Bad

Chapter 6

When Justin got home he found Alice peeling potatoes and Charlie pressed into service shelling hard boiled eggs. He laughed knowing it was unusual for Charlie to perform any kitchen duty but he knew better than to refuse his wife’s requests. Justin put down the bag with the meat and said. “I can take over egg duty.”

Alice shook her head. “Justin, you need to get up in your studio and get some art work done. Charlie and I are happy to get this stuff ready for your dinner tomorrow. For your supper tonight I have a chicken ready to go in the oven when Brian leaves the office. When he gets home you can put the tray of vegetables in the oven to roast. You should be able to eat about a half hour after they go in.”

Justin thanked her and did head up to his studio to work on his mural sketches. A couple hours later he heard the house phone ring and a short time later his cell rang. He checked the caller ID before answering. “Hey old man, are you on the way home to me.”

He could hear the frown in Brian’s voice. “Enough old man talk you twat. I let Alice know I was leaving and because I am a considerate partner I am letting you know to get yourself ready for me!”

Justin laughed. “Later stud.” Brian answered with his own “Later.” And disconnected the call.

Justin went down to the kitchen where Alice was putting a chicken into one of the ovens. A tray of cut vegetables was sitting on the counter. “Justin just put these in at 400 degrees when Brian gets home. Have fun tomorrow with your friends, the potato salad and deviled eggs are in the fridge. See you Monday.”

Justin thanked her and went upstairs. He took a quick shower, put on Brian’s favorite cologne and wearing just some loose sweatpants he went back downstairs. He went out to the pool and pulled off the solar couple and made sure the temp on the pool heater was set correctly. Back in the kitchen he poured wine in a couple plastic wine glasses and waited to hear the garage door open.

Brian felt his work stress fall away as he turned into his driveway. As he pushed the button to open the garage door he had a smile on his face knowing his Sunshine was waiting inside. He figured Justin would be working in his studio so he planned on quickly changing into comfortable clothes before heading over to the studio.

Inside Justin tuned on the second oven and put the vegetable tray inside, set the cook time for 30 minutes and switched off most of the kitchen lights. He untied his sweatpants cord and picked up the two wine glasses.

Brian came thru the garage door and slipped off his shoes in the mud room, his normal routine. He entered the dimly lit kitchen and saw Justin standing there holding the wine glasses and looking unbelievably beautiful to Brian. “Welcome home lover, care to join me in the hot tub?” Without waiting for an answer Justin turned and headed out to the pool area. Before he got to the door his pants slid down the floor and he stepped out of them.

Brian got undressed in record time with his hard cock leading the way he followed Justin thru the family room, grabbing some condoms and lube from a drawer.

Justin smiled over his shoulder before walking to the hot tub and stepping down into the swirling water. A second later as Brian followed him into the water, Justin handed him one of the wine glasses.

Justin tapped his glass against Brian’s. “I am so glad you are home and I love you more every day we are together.”

Brian couldn’t trust himself to say anything, afraid it would be too lesbionic. He took a sip of his wine and then leaned forward to kiss those wonderful, inviting pink lips. After the kiss both men sat down in the tub, leaning back, sipping the wine and relaxing for a couple minutes just happy to be together.
Brian put down his wine glass and pulled Justin close to him. “Sunshine you sure know how to make a guy feel welcome and appreciated. This is the best homecoming I could imagine.”

Justin put down his wine glass, grabbed a condom from where Brian left them on the side of the hot tub. Once he had the condom on Brian he faced him and lowered himself onto Brian’s cock. As Justin settled, Brian grabbed his head and pulled him into a long, passionate kiss. Once their mouth parted, Justin started to slowly move up and down.

Half an hour later both men sat in the tub hands intertwined and feeling sated after one of their most memorable fucks. Justin stood up and pulled Brian up with him. “Our dinner is ready, let’s take a quick shower and then eat.”

Justin’s stomach chose that moment to growl as if it agreed it was time for food.

Brian laughed and followed Justin into the pool house shower. They emerged wrapped in terry robes. Brian went over to the pool to pull the solar cover over the water. Justin continued into the kitchen and removed the chicken and vegetables from the ovens. Brian came inside carrying their still partially filled wine glasses.

“Bri, you want to carve the chicken while I set the table.” Working together like the team that they are, in a few minutes the two men were sitting down to dinner. While they ate, their easy conversation revolved around Justin’s lunch with his mother & Debbie, his conversation with Emmett and what had happened during Brian’s work day. They also talked about their planned barbeque the next day.

After dinner Brian put away the leftovers while Justin loaded the dishwasher. Brian gathered his discarded clothes and headed towards the stairs. “I’m headed upstairs where I will get ready for round two of tonight’s activities. You lock up and set the alarm.”

Justin did as requested and ran upstairs anxious for more lovemaking with Brian.

The next morning Brian, as usual, was the first to wake up. He knew from their years together that Justin was not a morning person. Whenever Brian brought that fact to Justin’s attention he was told that “older people” needed less sleep. Brian enjoyed laying there with Justin pressed against his side, Justin’s arm thrown across Brian’s stomach. No matter what position they went to sleep in, this where they were when they woke up.

Eventually Brian slipped out of bed and headed downstairs to get some coffee. Alice had filled the coffee maker and set the timer so the coffee was brewed and waiting for Brian. He drank his first cup of coffee along with a glass of juice and took his vitamins. Brian filled his mug a second time and fixed a cup of coffee for Justin which he took upstairs.

Justin was sitting up in bed and Brian leaned down to deliver a good morning kiss before handing his partner his coffee. Brian got back into his side of the bed. “So Sunshine, what’s on your agenda for today.”

Justin took a few sips of coffee before answering. “I want to get the steaks and chicken into the marinades that Alice made. After that I need to get in a couple hours in the studio before we get set up for the barbeque.”

Brian made his standard annoyed face. “I guess I am to be pressed into grilling duty.” Justin tried not to smile, he knew Brian actually enjoyed grilling but tried very hard to keep that fact hidden. “Well Bri, I’m sure Emmett could do the grilling or maybe Ben?”

Brian snorted before answering. “It would be more trouble to show them where everything is and explain which charcoal to use. I’ll just do it myself.” Justin had to wait a minute before replying to be sure he didn’t laugh, Brian hated when Justin saw through his protests.

They chatted comfortably while they drank their coffee. Weekends were normally the only time they had these morning conversations. During the week Brian left early for the office and Justin normally did not get out of bed until about an hour after Brian left for Kinnetik. After coffee & conversation, Brian & Justin moved into the master bathroom for a shower & a fuck. Eventually 2 happy, satisfied men moved to the kitchen for breakfast.

Justin got the steaks and chicken into their marinades while Brian loaded the breakfast dishes into the dishwasher. Afterwards Justin headed for his studio and Brian headed for the study to check his email and get some work done on pending Kinnetik presentations.

Justin spent the next few hours working on his sketches for the PPG murals. He needed to be ready to meet with the judging committee next Wednesday. He decided he had done enough work for today and didn’t want to stress his hand so when his stomach rumbled for lunch he was happy to stop.

Down in the kitchen he cut up salad fixings, adding some leftover chicken. Justin loaded a tray with the salad, plates, silverware and a couple of glasses of iced tea and made his way to Brian’s study at the other end of the house. Brian looked up from his computer and smiled. “Sunshine, that looks like a nice low carb lunch.”

Justin laughed. “Well I wanted to offset all the delicious fatty things you will be eating at dinner. Rolls, potato salad, steak, deviled eggs and Alice’s homemade cookies with ice cream for dessert.” Brian just rolled his eyes while he loaded salad onto his plate.

When they finished lunch Brian took the dirty dishes to the kitchen while Justin went upstairs to change out of his paint stained clothes. His cell phone rang as he entered the bedroom. He took a quick look at the caller ID before answering. “Hello Ted, what’s up with you?”

There was a quick laugh before the reply. “Actually this is Blake. Ted refused to call, he’s afraid we might annoy Brian.”

Justin could hear Ted protesting that in the background. “Don’t worry Blake, I have a different philosophy than Ted, I kind of enjoy annoying Brian every once in a while. I think it is good for him. Of course if you are calling to say you aren’t coming I will be both disappointed and annoyed.”

“We are looking forward to our first barbeque of the season. Actually we were wondering if we could show up a little early and get in a few games of tennis on your court. Teddy and I have been trying to play a couple times a week.”

Justin smiled and thought that tennis a couple times a week was definitely more Blake’s idea then Ted’s. “That’s not a problem, come as early as you like.”

“Em is planning on driving down with us so is it Ok for him to be early as well.”

“Wow Blake! How about you take advantage of my easy going nature. Actually I had invited Em down here hoping for an overdue gossip session so it’s perfect for him to come early. He can help me set up and we can talk while you and Ted get into shape.” The two blondes said good bye and hung up.

When Justin brought his partner up to date, he got the expected raised eyebrow from Brian. They worked together to get the cover off the pool and the cushions on the patio before Brian went upstairs to change.

It wasn’t too long until Ted, Blake & Emmett arrived. Justin opened a bottle of wine and he and Emmett settled in on the patio for their bull session. Brian escaped back to the study happy to get some more work done. Blake & Ted headed to the tennis court.

When Ben & Michael pulled into the driveway, Michael was instantly annoyed to see Ted’s car already parked there. Michael thought he & Ben were the only guests for this barbeque. When they walked onto the patio Justin & Emmett were arranging plates, flatware and glasses on a table by the built in grill. Justin hurried over to the new arrivals. “Hi guys, glad you are here. Ted & Blake have been playing tennis for a while so they should be over here soon. Em & I have started on wine and there is beer and sodas in the pool house fridge so help yourselves.”

Ben smiled, said hello and gave Justin and Emmett a quick hug. Michael looked around the patio for Brian but didn’t see him anywhere. “Where is Brian!”
Justin was annoyed but tried not to show it. “He is working in the study, why don’t you go let him know everyone is here. Brian needs to get the charcoal going in the grill.”

Without another word Michel headed into the house. Ben started an apology to Justin who just held up his hand and told him not to worry about it.

Brian looked up & smiled when his longtime friend came into the study. “Hey Mikey, you and Ben are here so I guess the festivities can begin.” He noticed that there was no smile on Michael’s face.

“I thought that it was just going to be Ben and me here tonight. You didn’t mention inviting anyone else.”

Brian took a calming breath before answering. “What happened was that Justin saw Honeycutt at the diner and thought he seemed kind of down so he invited him down here for an overnight visit. When Justin brought me a sandwich for lunch I let him know I had invited you and Ben. We decided to ask Ted & Blake, it will be fun to have the whole gang together.”

Michael still looked unhappy. “I thought we would have some time together, I never see you alone anymore. I guess Justin had other plans.” Brian refused to get dragged into that conversation. He slung his arm over Michael’s shoulders and led him back out to the patio.

Blake & Ted had finished their tennis games. When Brian and Michael came out of the house Ted was announcing he had won their match but just barely. Ben challenged Ted to a game but he pleaded exhaustion. Blake took the challenge, explaining that he could use the practice. Ben didn’t want to use Ted’s “fancy racket” so Justin told him where to find some generic rackets in the pool house closet.

Emmett and Ted decided they would try out the pool’s hot tub.

Brian extracted himself from Michael and came over to give Justin a kiss. “Brian you should get the grill started.” Brian agreed and went to the pool house to gather his special combination of different charcoals & wood chips. Like everything else he did Brian made a major production of grilling. He tried a few different charcoals & wood chips before deciding on the “best” combination. He liked to say he was a “purist” and had no interest in using a gas grill.

Michael followed him into the pool house and looked on horrified as Brian gathered what he wanted for the grill. “I can’t believe that Justin is making you do the grilling.” Brian looked generally puzzled. “Mikey, I like grilling. I was pretty surprised by that but of course like everything I do, I am a master at grilling. Poor Justin realized pretty quickly that he was outclassed. Poor guy was pretty broken up by it but we have been able to move past his disappointment.”

Brian smirked at Michael but his friend still had a grim expression on his face. Brian stuffed paper in the bottom of the charcoal starter and after he loaded his special mix in the top he lit the paper. He tried again to lift Michael’s mood.

“Hey Mikey, how about you and I take on Justin & Honeycutt at a game of pool volleyball.” Justin laughed as he took off his shorts & tee shirt. “Come on Em. Let’s show them what we’ve got.”

Emmett jumped from the hot tub into the pool, ready for the game. Michael sat down on a lounge chair. “I don’t like volleyball. It reminds me of high school gym class.” He wanted everyone to realize he was not happy about anything that was happening.

Brian pointedly ignored him. “Come on Theodore you had time to rest up from tennis so you are now on my team.”

The resulting volleyball game was hilarious. Ted continually complained he was too old for all this physical activity, Emmett’s over the top antics caused Justin to continually laugh. Brian told Emmett if Justin drowned because he was laughing so hard he would seek revenge. No one seemed to be able to keep an accurate score but by the time Ben & Blake returned from their tennis game, Brian claimed victory. Emmett and Ted returned to the hot tub still arguing over the final volleyball score. Justin got them drink refills while Brian checked on his charcoal which he decided was ready to be emptied out of the starter into the grill.

Ben went over to try and convince to join him for a swim before dinner but Michael refused to leave his chair. He didn’t see the eye rolls & head shaking by Ted, Blake & Emmett relaxing in the hot tub. Justin brought the meat out from the kitchen. As Brian started to grill, Justin returned to the kitchen to bring out the side dishes.

Justin put some rolls into the oven and got the potato salad and deviled eggs out of the refrigerator and uncovered the dishes. He was surprised when he saw Michael come in the house. “Michael, just in time to help me get this stuff outside. Thanks.”

Michael stood with his arms crossed in front of him. “I can’t believe that you make Brian do the grilling. One of these days you are going to push him too far and Brian is going to realize everything he has given up trying to keep you happy.”

Justin frowned and wished Michael would get over this whole poor Brian routine. “Michael, Brian likes to grill. I am as surprised by that as you are. You should know better than anyone that Brian only does what he wants.”

Michael had not changed his stance. “I do know that Brian never wanted to be living in the suburbs and grilling food before you started interfering in his life. You make sure I never get anytime alone with Brian. It was just supposed to be Ben & me here for dinner tonight but you made sure that didn’t happen.”

Justin was so tired of these conversations but tried to stay calm. “Michael that is not what happened. I invited Em before I even knew that Brian had invited you.”

Neither man noticed that Brian had come into the kitchen until he moved next to his childhood friend. “Michael! I have no idea what the fuck is wrong with you tonight. You have been miserable ever since you showed up and the rest of us are really over your drama queen shit. You are incredibly rude to talk to Justin like this in our home and if I even hear you doing this again you will no longer be welcome here. Now grab a fucking bowl or dish and get outside.”

Justin & Brian exchanged an exasperated but not surprised look. Justin took the rolls out of the oven and Brian picked up the deviled eggs as the three exited the house Brian announced that dinner was served.

Michael did nothing to disguise his unhappiness and although everyone attempted to engage him in conversation his answers were for the most part mono-syllabic. Ben attempted to quietly find out what had happened in the kitchen but Michael refused to answer his questions. Meanwhile Emmett & Blake decided that Ted needed a fashion makeover and discussed what he should be wearing. Brian participated by throwing in the occasional snide comment, however when Blake told Ted he needed pants that showed off “his cute little ass”, Brian clamped his hands over his ears and claimed that comment made his ears bleed. Justin tried to defend Ted but was outnumbered. Justin could tell how annoyed Brian was with Michael and tried to keep his partner calm with a comforting hand on Brian’s thigh. Whenever Brian turned to look at Justin he was rewarded with a full watt sunshine smile. Michael spent his time with his head down mainly just moving food around on his plate but eating very little.

When everyone had finished eating Justin announced that dessert was Alice’s homemade oatmeal raisin and chocolate cookies with ice cream. Michael took this opportunity to say that he had a really bad headache and didn’t want any dessert. Justin was about to offer him some aspirin but Brian spoke before Justin had a chance. “That is really a shame Mikey. You better go right home and get into bed. You have made it perfectly clear that you are not having a very good time.”

A surprised and confused Michael started to answer until he saw the look on Brian’s face. Instead he stood up and moved away from the table. Ben quickly got up and joined him. Ted, Blake & Emmett all expressed concern and hoped he felt better soon but no one suggested that they stay. Justin put his hand on Brian’s shoulder and thanked Ben for coming while Michael hurried to their car.

As soon as they got in the car Ben turned to Michael. “Baby what’s wrong. You were looking forward to this barbeque but as soon as we got here something seemed to go wrong.”

“This dinner was supposed to be for just you & me. Justin couldn’t allow that so he made sure the others were invited and even got them to arrive before us. Than he makes Brian do the grilling, the little twink constantly has to show how he has Brian under his control. Justin has always been jealous of my friendship with Brian.”

“Michael I don’t think that is really what happened. Blake told me he called and asked to come early so that he and Ted could play some tennis. Emmett said that Justin invited him when they were at the diner before he even knew Brian had invited us.”

“Ben, you really don’t understand how Justin has wheedled his way into Brian’s life. I hardly even recognize Brian. He always made fun of the whole suburban hetero life style and now Justin has him grilling. Somehow we have to get Brian to realize what is going on!”

“Michael baby you are really overreacting. Brian seems really happy to me.”

Michael didn’t bother to answer, he turned to look out the window and plan how he could free his best friend from Justin’s influence.