Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Sickness & Health, Good Times & Bad

Chapter 54

Thursday morning was a busy time. Peter had to get ready for his final summer field trip to the Frank Lloyd Wright’s masterpiece, Fallingwater. John had to ready for his tutor and Brian was anxious to get to Kinnetik and make the final preparations for the next day’s presentation to a large Philadelphia pharmaceutical company. The company’s reps were flying in the next day to hear what Kinnetik could do to increase their sales.

Alice came in a little early to prepare Peter’s lunch. It would be a long day and Alice wanted to be sure Peter has enough food to carry him through the day. Brian left really early after getting a good bye/good luck kiss from Justin.

Mary Gardner picked up Peter a little before normal so he and Josh could get good seats on the bus. When John’s tutor arrived Justin sat down for a second cup of coffee.

His mother called to bring him up to date on the renovations on the Bloom building. Amazingly things were just a little ahead of schedule.

Justin told his mother that Lindsay was going to start working at the gallery on Monday and said he would go the next day to take a look at the renovations. Next Justin called Sidney to let him know he would stop by the gallery tomorrow.

In the studio Gus kept busy with finger paints while Justin emailed Kathy Sacks to ask permission for John and Peter to come to San Francisco with Brian for Justin’s art show. Gus stayed involved in his finger painting while Justin had a conference call with Cynthia and Patti about the search for a new manager for the art department.

Justin got off the phone in time to admire Gus’s latest work of art. Gus told his Papa that he was going to hang it in his new bedroom at Daddy’s loft. Justin thought that was a great idea but told Gus he really should be calling it Mommy’s loft since he would be living there with his mommies. Justin felt Lindsay would not be happy to hear Gus refer to it as “Daddy’s” loft.

John, his tutoring session over, was just finishing his lunch when Justin and Gus came down to the kitchen. They dropped him at soccer practice and to Gus’s delight Justin took him to McDonald’s for lunch.

At Kinnetik Brian was doing his final review the boards for his presentation the next day with Jason and Leon who had worked together to create them. The boards were displayed around Brian’s office. He walked around the office making notes on a pad. Finally he turned to his two apprehensive employees.

“Good job you guys. You made all my final adjustments exactly right. These boards all look great.”

Both Jason and Leon smiled. They knew Brian was not someone who gave compliments unless he was really happy about something.

“So how are things going in the art department these days?”

Jason shrugged. “I guess we were all a little surprised by Hal quitting. I don’t think he was anyone’s dream boss but we were used to him and now we’re just wondering who the new boss will be.”

Leon looked nervous. “Mr Kinney I just want to say I didn’t know anything about what Hal was doing. My parents told me after he quit that he already had another job and I told them he was wrong to do that. I really love my job here and I hope you understand that I’m loyal to Kinnetik.”

Brian smiled. “Well Leon I’m glad to hear that. I think you do good work, not quite as good as Jason here, and we’d hate to lose you. Also we you breathing down his neck I expect Jason will work all the harder.”

Jason laughed. Both men thanked Brian and left his office.

Brian and Ted walked over to the diner for lunch. Debbie greeted them in her usual, over the top, manner. Once they were seated in a booth Debbie came over with her order pad in hand.

“So Brian the usual? Or are you going to shock me?”

“No shocks today Mrs Novontny.” Debbie just snorted and wrote down his usual turkey sandwich.

Ted ordered the pink plate special and after she handed in their order Debbie came back to their booth.

“So Brian. I’ve heard all the neighborhood gossip about Claire. What the fuck is your sister thinking? Joan must be ready to murder her.”

Brian smirked. “I try never to try and understand the workings of my sister’s mind. Now in addition to her normal scattered thought process she’s taking drugs. I’m sure Joan wishes both of her children would disappear off the face of the earth.”

“How are her sons taking Claire’s latest escapades?”

“John and Peter are just worried that they will ever have to live with their mother again. Justin and I are going to try and get permanent custody of them. They’ve asked us to do that. I’ve tried to get Claire to agree to let us have custody but that didn’t go very well.”

Debbie was wide eyed. “Wow! You didn’t shock me with your lunch order but you and Sunshine taking permanent custody of those boys. That’s fucking amazing.”

“What do you think of the idea?”

Debbie put her hand briefly on Brian’s shoulder. “I think they would be two lucky boys to live with you and Sunshine.” Debbie lowered her voice. “And it would make me very proud for you to do that.”

Debbie quickly moved off to other tables. Ted smiled at the look on Brian’s face – partially amused but mostly pleased.

“Just what are you smiling at Theodore?”

“Just feeling happy I guess Boss.” “Please stop. It’s unnerving.”

When they got back to Kinnetik after lunch Brian suggested to Ted that they drive to the loft to see how Lindsay and Melanie were settling in.

Ted called Melanie’s cell to let her know they were on their way. When they got to the loft Brian used his code to get them into the building. Lindsay answered their knock on the loft door.

Brian stepped inside and looked around. “The place looks great. Your stuff fits in here pretty well. It make the whole place look different.”

Lindsay nodded. “We are pretty settled in. It was great to have the storage cubicle to hold the stuff that wouldn’t fit in here.”

Melanie lifted JR down from her booster seat where she had been eating lunch. The little girl ran over to Brian. “Hi Uncle Bri!”

Brian swept her up in his arms. “Hello there little girl. How do you like your new house?”

“It’s fun. I like looking out the windows at all the people and cars going by outside. Want to see my new bedroom?”

Brian said he would love to see her bedroom. The two small rooms for the kids had been created back by the main bedroom. Both the room were against the windows and the contractor had created actual doors for the main bedroom to give Lindsay and Melanie more privacy.

The walls of JR’s room were painted a very pale pink. The new bedrooms had ceilings that were lower than the loft ceiling which looked a little odd but made the rooms quieter and better for the kids. Gus’s room was next to JR’s and just slightly larger. Once JR had shown Brian and Ted every item in her room they headed back in the living space.

Lindsay turned on a video for JR to watch before turning back to her guests. “I’m a little surprised Brian. I thought you would be more upset about the changes to your precious loft.”

Brian shrugged. “I don’t really thinking of this as my home any more. The house is where I feel most comfortable now. Justin and I hardly ever stay here. Actually the last time we slept here was when I had the flu and Justin wanted us to stay closer to doctors and family.”

“You used to be so protective of the loft. I'm just surprised.”

Brian chose to try and change the topic of conversation. “So we’ll drop off Gus on Sunday afternoon?”

Melanie and Lindsay exchanged a look before Lindsay replied. “I’m starting at the gallery on Monday and Mel has her first continuing Ed session. Michael and Debbie are going to keep JR during the days this week. We were hoping that Gus could stay with you until next weekend.”

Brian smiled. “No problem. Justin and I are always glad to spend time with Gus.”

A few more pleasantries and Brian and Ted were on their way back to work.

Justin and Gus spent most of the afternoon in the studio. Gus happily alternated reading and finger painting while Justin put the finishing touches on the third PPG mural. Brian had Gus convinced that he helped Justin by spending time with him in the studio so Gus was always happy and content to spend time here. Gus liked to spend some of his time watching Justin paint. Justin often explained to Gus what he was doing or what he was trying to create and always asked Gus’s opinion on his art. It was pretty safe thing to do because Brian has also convinced Gus that Justin was the greatest artist in the world so Gus invariably told Justin everything he painted was wonderful.

This was one more of Gus’s traits that Justin knew he would miss desperately when Gus got old enough to form his own opinions. Justin couldn’t believe how fast Gus was growing, he knew Brian felt the same way and they were both really grateful that Gus would be closer now and they would be able to spend more time with him.

Alice picked up John from soccer practice and took advantage of having someone to carry her purchases by doing some shopping at Sam’s club before they went back home. John was embarrassed and pleased when the lady at checkout told Alice she was lucky to have such a willing and handsome helper. Alice said that John was always helpful and a pleasure to spend time with.

They also went to the seafood store since Justin had asked Brian this morning about grilling seafood kabobs for dinner. Alice was excellent at listening to conversations and anticipating what Brian or Justin might like. Justin is often amazed at Alice already having something he wanted and always accused her of being psychic.

Back at the house John was just about finished bringing in all Alice’s purchases when Justin and Gus appeared in bathing suits. Gus ran over to give John a welcome home hug. “Papa and I are going swimming. Are you gonna come in the pool with us.”

“That sounds good Gus. I’ll be out as soon as I get changed.”

Gus had a big smile on his face. “We can wait for you if you want?”

John assured Gus it was alright for him to get into the pool now and John would be outside shortly.

Justin thought that Gus looked so much like Brian but unlike his father Gus was really tuned in to people’s feelings. He wondered if Brian would have been more like Gus if he had any kind of unconditional love from his parents when he was a boy and young man.

When Brian got home from work Gus and John were still enjoying pool time and Justin was observing from the hot tub. As soon as he saw Brian Justin got out of the hot tub and came over to give him a welcome home kiss. “You’re home early. I thought you’d be working late to get ready for your presentation tomorrow.”

“Everything is ready for tomorrow. Ted and I went over to the loft today. Linds and Mel have it looking good. They asked if we could keep Gus for one more week.”

Justin got a big smile on his face. “That’s great. We should tell him we asked for one more week so he doesn’t think his moms don’t want him with them.”

Brian nodded just as Gus arrived for a hug and kiss from his Daddy. Gus was thrilled to find out he was going to spend an extra week here.

Brian changed into a bathing suit and joined his son and nephew in the pool. Gus was happy to have someone new to play ring toss with. Justin was laughing at the father and son antics when his cell rang.

It was Roxanne O’Brien asking if Gus could have a playdate with Kevin the next day. Justin said he would bring Gus when he took John to soccer practice and he could leave with Roxanne and Kevin. Gus was excited to spend the afternoon with Kevin and his mom.

Shortly after Roxanne’s call Peter called to say they were about half an hour away from the community center. Brian started the charcoal while Justin changed into some dry clothes and went to pick up Peter and Josh. They dropped Josh off at his house and when Justin and Peter got home Brian was grilling the seafood kabobs.

Peter kept them entertained during dinner with stories from his trip to Fallingwater. Justin was amazed that Brian had never been there. John said he was amazed that anyone went there which made Gus giggle and earned him a dirty look from his brother.

After peach cobbler and ice cream John went upstairs to do his homework. Brian took Gus down to the game room for a pool shooting lesson while Peter and Justin cleaned up the kitchen. Justin told Peter that he was going to see the renovations at the Bloom building the next day. Peter asked if he could go along. Justin chuckled and said he thought Peter would want to go since he has been part of the Bloom acquisition from the beginning.

Once kitchen cleanup was done Justin and Peter went down to the game room. The pool lesson was over so while Brian gave Gus his bath, Peter and Justin played pool. When the game was over Peter went to his room to read. Justin locked up the house, grabbed a bottle of wine and 2 glasses and headed upstairs.

Justin checked Gus’s room to make sure he was asleep before going into the Master Bedroom and locking the door behind him. Brian was lying in bed going over some info on his laptop. He looked up with a smile, shut his laptop and put it on his night table.

Justin handed Brian the wine to open while Justin removed his clothes. Brian handed Justin a glass of wine which he sipped while he watched Brian slip off the boxers he was wearing. Justin set his wine glass on his night table and crawled over to Brian. They kissed, tongues battling for dominance, before Justin started kissing down his lover’s body. When Justin took Brian’s cock into his mouth he was rewarded with a gasp of pleasure from his partner before Brian wound his fingers in Justin soft blonde hair.

45 minutes later Justin was cradled in Brian’s arms. Both men were sipping wine and talking together. Brian told Justin all about the presentation he was giving the next day and Justin let Brian know about Gus’s playdate and his plans to go to the Bloom building with Peter.

The next morning as Peter was getting dressed after breakfast his cell phone rang. He glanced at the display before answering.

“Hi Mom.”

“Hi honey. I just wanted to call and see if you had fun on your field trip yesterday.”

“Yeah it was lots of fun. It was interesting to see the house but I don’t think I would ever want to live there.”

“I’ve never been there but people are always talking about it.”

Peter laughed. “Uncle Brian told us last night that he has never been there. Uncle Justin was really surprised.”

“Well our parents were really not the type for family outings.”

Peter didn’t want the phone call to become a “poor Claire” monologue. “Well you have had a few years on your own to get there if you wanted to see it.”

“That’s true and to be honest I really don’t have any desire to see the house. I guess you’ll be bored now that your summer program is over. You won’t get to see your little friend as much.”

“Uncle Justin says Josh can still come over on Tuesdays and Thursdays next week so that will be fun. We can swim or explore in the woods.”

“That sound good. What are you up to today?”

“Well John has his tutoring this morning. Uncle Justin and I are going to take him to soccer practice. Gus is going to meet up at the park with his friend Kevin and his mother for a playdate. After dropping off John and Gus, Uncle Justin and I are going to the Bloom building and check on the renovations. You know that is the building the uncles bought a while ago.”

“Why are you going with Justin?”

“He said I could go. I was at the meeting when they bought the building so it will be neat to see the renovations. Grandmom Jen has been overseeing everything but Uncle Justin wants to see the changes for himself.”

Claire and Peter chatted for a few more minutes. After the call Claire sat in her bedroom trying to decide what to do with the information she got from Peter. Her decisions went back and forth between calling Tino and forgetting his whole crazy plan.

Joan knocked on the bedroom door and came in without waiting for permission. “Claire! Are you going to sit in this room all day? You need to look for a new job and call a lawyer to start the process of getting your sons back. Sitting around here doing nothing is not an option, I won’t stand for it.”

“Mother I’m making some calls to people I know to get the name of a good lawyer. Please leave me alone to get things started.”

Joan shook her head but did leave the room. Her tirade made Claire’s decision for her. She would lose her mind if she had to stay in this house with her mother. As soon as the bedroom door closed behind Joan she dialed Tino’s number.

She told Tino everything Peter had told her about Justin’s plans for the day. Claire stressed that she wanted to be sure Peter was left out of the kidnapping and wasn’t hurt in any way. Tino assured her that it would all go smoothly and no one would be hurt.

Justin and Peter dropped off John at practice and handed Gus off to Roxanne. Roxanne said to call her when they got back to the house and she’d bring Gus back home.

They laughed and sang along with the radio on the drive to Pittsburgh. Peter asked if they were going to visit Uncle Brian at Kinnetik but Justin said no. Brian’s presentation was scheduled for the afternoon so they wouldn’t disturb him.

Neither Peter nor Justin notice the dark colored van that started to follow them a few blocks away from the Bloom building. Justin pulled into the parking lot behind the Bloom building and pulled into an empty spot. The van stopped on the side street and one man dressed in black ran into the parking lot.

Justin and Peter were not really paying attention as they got out of the car. The man pulled a ski hat over his face and held a pistol in one hand.

“Stop and put your hands up!”

Justin was startled. “Just take it easy you can have whatever you want. No need to use the gun, why don’t you put that away so no one gets hurt.”

“No one will get hurt as long as you do what you’re told. You’re Justin Taylor right?”

Justin was surprised this guy knew his name. He turned to Peter. “Get back in the car buddy.”

“I am giving the orders here. Are you Justin Taylor?”

“Yes that’s me. What do you want?”

Peter had slipped back in the car and pulled his cell phone out of his pocket. “Hey kid keep your hands where I can see them or I shoot blondie here.”

Peter dropped his phone onto the seat and raised his hands. The masked man motioned to Justin. “You keep your hands up and walk slowly over here. You are going with me. We’ll see how much your sugar daddy will pay to get you back.”

Justin dropped to his knees by the car door and started pleading with the man to leave him alone. Peter was surprised to see his uncle fall apart so completely.

“Shut the fuck up you dizzy little faggot and get over here.”

Justin reached behind him to the pocket in the car door. He pulled out the squeeze bottle of Alice special hot sauce, with added jalapeno pepper seeds, that she insisted he and Brian keep in their cars. Alice always said it was just like pepper spray but legal.

The masked man walked closer, while glancing around to make sure no one had come into the parking lot.

This was not going exactly how Tino told him it would and he was starting to get nervous. He took a few steps closer to Justin. “Get up on your feet and come with me or I’ll shot the kid.”

Justin slowly go to his feet, holding the bottle behind him, and without looking at Peter said. “Duck down.” He squeezed the bottle aiming for the gunman’s eyes. The masked man screamed. He fired the pistol before dropping it and bringing his hands up to his burning eyes.

Peter heard the gun shot, saw a quick spray of blood as Justin fell to the ground and heard his uncle groan. Peter heard another scream and for a second didn’t even realize that he was the one who screamed. He grabbed his cell phone and hit the button for emergency calls.

The 911 operator answered and asked want the emergency was. “My name is Peter Townsend and I’m in the parking lot behind the Bloom Gallery building. Some man just shot my uncle. I need an ambulance and the police right away.”

Peter heard the screech of tires as the van sped away. The gunman was laying on the ground rubbing at his eyes. Peter got out of the car and saw several people running out of the building as he ran around to Justin’s side of the car.
Chapter End Notes:

So many people reviewed the last chapter that it inspired me to get this chapter written and posted quickly.  Hint - if you want the next chapter posted quickly you know what to do.