Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

It has been pointed out to me that we are coming up on the one year anniversary of posting my story on this site. One of my loyal readers has challenged me to post 54 chapters by that date.  I have accepted that challenge.  Wish me luck!!!

Sickness & Health, Good Times & Bad

Chapter 50

Since this was a cleaning service day and the weather was overcast and cool so the pool wasn’t an option, Charlie took Peter and Gus to the farm. Alice kept her usual close watch on the cleaners while Justin made travel arrangements for his trip to San Francisco.

Justin and Brian both received an email from Anabel Harper, their lawyer for the custody case, asking if she could possibly meet with them today. Justin called Brian and found out the meeting with Hal has gone according to plan.

They made plans to meet at the lawyers’ office at 12:30. Justin called Jennifer to ask her to stay and oversee the boys after she brought them back from bowling. She told Justin that Tucker was going along on the bowling trip and they would be happy to hang out until he or Brian got home.

Gus and Peter arrived back a little before 11 full of stories of milking cows, Peter, and feeding chickens, Gus. Charlie laughed as the boys competed in telling Justin about their adventures at the farm.

At 11 Justin was waiting outside the dining room door when Ron Kramsie opened the door and walked into the entrance hall. “Ron, how did things go?”

“I think we made a good beginning but we have some work to do before John is ready to retake the placement test.”

After that pronouncement the tutor left. John came out of the dining room and Justin gave him a smile. “So how was the first session with Mr Kramsie?”

“It was okay. I have some homework to do for tomorrow.”

John headed for the family room where he could hear his brother and cousin telling Alice about their farm visit.

Justin shrugged and followed John. A short time later Jennifer and Tucker arrived and the bowling group got ready to depart. Alice suggested that Jennifer and Tucker stay for supper and Justin laughingly added his own invitation.

Justin changed to dressier clothes and headed to the lawyers’ office in Pittsburgh. When he arrived he went to the reception desk.

“Hello. I’m Justin Taylor. I have an appointment with Anabel Harper.”

“Good afternoon Mr Taylor. Is Mr Kinney with you?”

Justin started to say no but turned and saw Brian coming through the door. “Here he comes now.”

“Great. I’ll let Ms Harper know you are both here. Please have a seat.”

Brian came over to Justin and gave him a quick kiss. They walked over to the chairs in the waiting area. “Pretty good wardrobe choice Sunshine. My fashion sense must be finally influencing your clothing choices.”

Justin just laughed. “That might be because most of my dress clothes have been purchased by you.”

Anabel Harper came down the hall from her office. “Mr Kinney, Mr Taylor, thanks so much for making time to meet with me today.”

Brian walked over to shake her hand. “We prefer Brian and Justin. Hopefully you have some good news for us.”

Anabel led the way to her office. “We received the initial report for the Private Investigator. Nothing in custody cases is ever a slam dunk but Claire has certainly been helping our case. Based on this report I believe we have an excellent chance of you getting permanent custody of John and Peter Townsend.”

She handed Brian and Justin two copies of the report. “Not sure if you are aware that Claire has a job as a receptionist at a dental office. It appears to be a legitimate office, the dentist is a Dr Schwartz.”

Justin chuckled. “We hope he is legitimate. That is the dentist that Brian and I go to.”

Brian nodded his head. “His wife was in the same grade as Claire that is probably how she got the job. Also her mother goes to the same church as our mother.”

“Claire is working there 4 and half days a week. Our PI shadowed the dental assistant, Ms Simons, during a couple lunches. She is not a fan of Claire and told her lunch companions she didn’t understand why she was hired.”

Brian gave a quick laugh. “That’s my sister, making friends wherever she goes.”

Anabel smiled but told them there were more disturbing elements to the report. Claire was seen several times in the company of Constantine Terakalas, a known drug dealer. There were some photos taken with a long range lens of Claire providing a blow job to Mr Terakalas.

Later Claire attempted to avoid him with the help of Sally Schwartz. There were photos of Claire buying drugs near Joan’s house and her failed purchase on Saturday. Photos too of her drug buy on the North side and Constantine turning up at Joan’s house when Claire returned. The PI was not sure what happened in the driveway until he got a photo of Claire vomiting after Constantine left.

The report concluded that it appeared Claire had been providing sexual favors in return for drugs. Since the word on the street was that Claire had been cut off from local suppliers it could be that she had refused to continue providing sex.

Justin looked at Brian horrified. Brian nodded. “This would be very hard for John and Peter to learn about. They know their mother’s relationship with Paul Clarke had a lot to do with drugs. However to learn their mother has whored herself out to get drugs is a whole different story.”

Anabel frowned. “You both need to understand that this report is our best weapon against Claire if you want to get permanent custody of her sons. Courts are very reluctant to terminate the rights of biological parents. Maybe you should think about how this will help the boys in the long run but keeping them away from their mother’s damaging influence.”

Brian nodded. “We do understand that and appreciate that this report is exactly what we need for a custody battle.”

“You are not the first clients who thought they were ready to do anything to win a case but realize than realize they have limits. It is hard to completely put aside family loyalty or feelings.”

Brian snorted. “If this was just about Claire I would have no problem using this information. Hell I’d have a pamphlet printed with this info. It’s John and Peter we are worried about.”

“They are the people who want you to try and get full custody. They may have prepared themselves for finding out bad stuff about their mother.”

Justin took a deep breath before speaking. “I think they have prepared themselves for the legal battle and knowing that it will hurt their mother. I’m just not sure that boys of their age can really be adequately prepared for finding out their mother has been prostituting herself.”

“I do understand your feelings on this matter but I’m just trying to make sure you look at from both perspectives. This could very well allow you to get full custody of John and Peter.”

“My sister has not exactly been trying very hard to regain custody. Suppose I go to her with this report and tell her to let us have full custody or we go to court using the report as evidence against her. The worst that can happen is she says no and we’re right back to where we are now.”

Anabel was quick to disagree. “Once you tell your sister about this report we lose the element of surprise. Also once she knows you are going to try and get permanent custody she’ll get her own lawyer and that lawyer will no doubt hire his own investigator to look at you guys.”

The discussion continued for some time without any definite decision being made about how to proceed.

As they left Brian told Justin he had taken a cab from Kinnetik so he needed a ride back to the office.

“I valet parked around the corner at the William Penn Hotel.”

Brian knew that Justin preferred to avoid parking garages whenever possible so he didn’t make any comment about his parking choice.
“We might as well grab lunch in the Terrace Room.”

“That sounds like a good plan. I love their Salmon BLT.”

Once they were seated and given the waiter their orders. Brian brought Justin up to date on the “Hal meeting” that occurred that morning.

Justin smiled. “I’m glad that worked out the way you guys planned. I will call Greg O’Brien. We need to let him know that it looks like his new boss is our old employee. I hope he won’t be upset.”

“Greg had no idea that there was any tie in between the changes at his job and Kinnetik. I almost feel like we should pay him a bonus for all the money we saved on Hal’s severance.

I really feel like the right thing to do about this PI report is to give my sister the opportunity to cooperate with us getting permanent custody. If she is unreasonable we have to move ahead with going through the courts.”

Justin sighed. “If Claire doesn’t cooperate we’ll have to let the boys see the report and make sure they still want us to try for custody.”

The waiter put their sandwiches on the table and Brian laughed at the look on Justin’s face. Justin looked across the table at his partner. “What’s so funny?”

“When you look at that sandwich you have the exact same look on your face as when we are about to fuck.”

Justin stuck out just the tip of his tongue and ran it around his lips. “I guess that is my satisfying my hungers look.”

Brian smiled. “You are a little tease Sunshine but later I’ll make use of that tongue.”

“Well it will have to be after dinner. Mom and Tucker are staying for dinner tonight.”

Justin saw the slightest frown form on Brian’s face but it disappeared almost immediately.

“I asked Mom to stick around until I got home and Alice invited them to stay for dinner. Sorry.”

“It’s not a problem. I do sometimes wonder if we will ever again eat dinner alone, just you and me.”

“I know. I have been thinking about what we can do about that.”

Now the fleeting look on Brian’s face was surprise.

Justin shook his head. “Brian you can be so clueless sometimes. Why would you be surprised that I miss having dinner alone with you?”

“I was just a little surprised you have been planning something. I am also a little disappointed I have become so easy to read.”

“I think you are still pretty difficult to read for the public at large but I always know what you are thinking. Of course it is kind of easy because most of the time we’re together you are thinking about sex. Anyway once the boys start school I am going to have Alice feed them around 5. We’ll eat later when you get home.”

“Won’t that be extra trouble for Alice?”

“No. If it is something that can stay warm, we’ll have the same thing as the boys. Otherwise we can grill something or I can make a stir fry or we can just have a big salad. I miss our time talking over dinner.”

Brian smiled at Justin. “You know I love you Sunshine.”

“Me too.” Justin gave Brian a full watt sunshine smile before digging into his lunch.

After lunch Justin dropped Brian at Kinnetik before heading home.

When Justin got home Jennifer and Alice were having tea in the kitchen. Outside Tucker was overseeing the three boys in the pool with a big smile on his face. Since the sun had come out midday it was now plenty warm for swimming.

Justin went over and gave his mother a kiss on the cheek. “How was bowling?”

“It was great honey. Tucker and John bowled on a lane with no gutter guards. Peter, Gus and I had the lane right next to them with the guards up. I think everyone enjoyed themselves. Alice has news for you.”

Justin turned to Alice. “Lindsay and Melanie stopped by today and picked up all their stuff as well as JR’s. They said they are settled into the loft. I think Gus told them he was going bowling today and that you and Brian wouldn’t be home.”

“Well that is kind of good news. No big complaints while they were here?”

“No. Actually they seemed a little more at ease and happier than they have been. I do think they know better than to complain to me. How was your meeting?”

Justin grimaced. “Interesting and disturbing. Claire has been associating with a known drug dealer and it appears she has been paying for the drugs in a very personal way, no cash involved.”

Both Jennifer and Alice looked shocked. Justin continued. “We have some decision to make before we would tell the boys. Brian is going to try and talk to Claire and see if she will agree to us having permanent custody and the investigator’s report can stay secret.”

Alice and Jennifer both expressed hope that Claire would be reasonable. All three of them agreed that was probably a long shot.
Justin changed his clothes and he and Jennifer went out to the pool area.

************************************************************************************

Claire was not having a good day. She did not sleep well and the lack of drugs had her on edge. She did manage to get to work on time.

Once at the dental office things could have been worse but certainly the day was not problem free. It took everything she had for Claire to perform her normal duties without breaking down completely.

Claire felt too nauseous to eat anything for lunch. She found a secluded spot in the back alley and just let go, sobbing hysterically for several minutes. Happily she was able to get into the bathroom at the office and fix her face before anyone saw her.

When she left at the end of the day Claire was both annoyed and relieved to see Tino waiting in his car across the street. She crossed the street and got into the passenger side of the car.

Tino held out his hands. In one was two pills and in the other was a bottle of water. Part of Claire wanted to knock the pills out of his hand and spit in his face. However a larger part of her wanted those drugs very badly. She grabbed the pills and popped them into her mouth, took the bottle of water and washed them down.

Claire looked straight ahead, unwilling to make eye contact with Tino. She knew the drugs couldn’t be in her system this quickly but just knowing she took the pills relieved the tension she had been feeling all day. Finally she turned and looked at Tino. “To what do I owe the honor of your presence?”

Tino snorted. “Now Claire you know we belong together. We’re like fucking peanut butter and jelly but I need you to understand who is in charge.”

“Look Tino, we’ve had some fun together but I’m trying to get my life in order. I need to get my boys back. Being seen in your company is not going to look good to the welfare department.”

“Come off it Claire. You care about keeping oxy in your life way more than getting back your kids. Chances are they are full blown faggots now anyway. You might just as well leave them with your brother and his boy toy.”

“Brian wouldn’t do anything to my sons. It’s just not a good idea for them to be around him and all his gay friends. They are at an impressionable age.”

“Listen Claire I don’t give a shit about your kids. You got what you wanted. Pills in your stomach now I need to get what I want. What I want is my dick in your mouth.”

“Not here. Someone will see us. I have money I could just pay you for the oxy.”

“Such a lady, you don’t mind sucking my dick as long as nobody sees you doing it. I don’t want your money. I’ll drive to our favorite spot behind that strip mall near your mother’s house.”

45 minutes later Claire walked into her mother’s house with a baggy of 20 oxy pills in her purse and the sour taste of Tino’s dick in her mouth. Joan announced she had dinner ready. For once Claire was glad to hear that news. She figured the rotten taste of Joan’s cooking would erase the slimy feeling in her mouth.

*************************************************************************************

Brian arrived home and went upstairs to change before he went out on the patio. Gus was sitting on a lounger with Jennifer and reading her a story from his dinosaur story book, still his favorite book. Justin and Peter were playing pool volley ball against Tucker & John. Brian smiled at the determined look in his Sunshine’s eyes. He was a demon at pool volley ball and as he watched Justin’s ball return went right past Tucker. Justin claimed victory at the same moment he spotted Brian. He got out of the pool and hurried over to deliver a welcome home kiss.

“So how was your afternoon at Kinnetik?”

“It was even better than my morning. The computer on Hal’s desk yielded solid gold information. His correspondence about the new job at the University along with his plans to get a severance package out of us before he started the new job. Apparently his new boss is a friend from church and was more than willing to go along with Hal’s scheme.”

“He really is a snake. You are well rid of him.”

“Glad you feel that way since you are heading up the task force to find a new manager for the art department.”

Justin chuckled. “Quel suprise! I saw that one coming a mile away.”

Brian frowned. “Did someone call to tell you that?”

“No Brian. I just knew you were going to involve me in this search. Who is working on this with me?”

“Patti and Cynthia.”

Brian walked over to say hello to Gus and Jennifer. His feeling were a little hurt because unlike usual, Gus did not come running over to say hello. Apparently Grandmom Jen had an attraction that distracted some from Daddy’s appeal. Instead of asking Brian to go swimming Gus announced. “Grandmom Jen and I are almost finished our story Daddy.”

A dismissed Brian headed over to the pool to say hello to his nephews and Tucker. Justin came over to him and whispered in his ear. “Don’t worry Dad, Gus still loves you. You are available all the time Grandmom Jen is a novelty.”

“Honestly Justin do you really think that bothers me.”

Justin just smiled at him and nodded his head. Brian couldn’t help smiling back but swatted Justin butt. “How about getting a beer for the love of your life who had been toiling in the salt mines all day.”

Justin laughed as he went into the pool house and came back carrying two beers. He joined Brian who was sitting on a lounger listening to Gus read his story to Jennifer.

Just as the story was finished, Alice came to the door to say that dinner would be ready soon. Jennifer called to Tucker to come with her to see what help Alice needed. He dried off and slipped on a shirt. When he came over to Jennifer they shared a fairly passionate kiss and Justin moaned softly which made Brian laugh.

Jennifer and Tucker went in the house as John and Peter got out of the pool. Justin smiled at John. “We didn’t have much time this morning to discuss the tutoring. Did you find it helpful?”

John shrugged. “It was fine.”

“Mr Kramsie seemed kind of humorless to me.”


“He’s a teacher.”
Justin noticed John shot a look at Peter who looked like he was ready to say something. “Come on Peter let’s set the table. Hey Gus you come help too.”

“Okay John, here I come.” Gus hurried across the patio happy to be included in any activity that involved his cousins.

Brian chuckled. “Gus is so happy to be included he doesn’t even care that it just means setting the table.”

Justin smiled. “I think cousins and older boy are both pretty mysterious treasures to Gus. I’m concerned about the tutor session. Didn’t you think that John wasn’t too forthcoming about how it went?”

“Sunshine he’s a teenager being forced to learn something over summer vacation. Of course he’s not happy about it. By the way I didn’t think the tutor’s name was Kramsie.”

Justin turned to Brian with an annoyed look. “Brian! Ed Dennison sent us both an email saying that the original tutor was going to be out of town and that Ron Kramsie would take his place. Did you delete that email without even reading it?”

“I don’t remember getting that email.”

“I know he sent it to both of us because I replied to all thanking him for letting us know.”

“That’s right I saw your email first. Since I knew you took care of whatever he wanted I just deleted his email without really paying attention.”

“You better not ever delete one of my emails without paying any attention.”

“Justin you know I would never do that!”

Justin chuckled. “Yeah I do know that. You should pay more attention to emails about the boys’ school. Did you notice that Peter looked like he was about to say something until John gave him a look?”

“No I didn’t but I’m not observing their every move like they are some sort of science experiment. You need to chill out Sunshine. John would tell us if something was wrong.”

Dinner was pleasant and afterwards Jennifer insisted that she and Tucker take care of cleanup and give the boys the night off.

After Jennifer and Tucker left and Brian was giving Gus his bath, Justin gave Greg O’Brien a call. Justin was worried Greg might be upset but he was actually pretty amused. He couldn’t believe that his new manager had been working for Kinnetik. Greg was happy that he helped save Kinnetik from paying out severance. Since he officially did not even know Hal’s name he was not concerned about being blamed for anything. Justin was relieved that the call went so well.

Gus was worn out from his bowling and swimming so he was happy for an early bed time but Justin did get through an entire story from the zoo storybook before Gus drifted off to sleep.

Alone in their bedroom Justin let Brian know that Greg was fine with what happened with Hal. Justin also tried again to discuss his concern about John’s tutor but Brian was way more interested in sex. In an attempt to distract his favorite blonde he suggested Justin top him which was not a frequent occurrence. As far as Brian was concerned his plan worked perfectly since that eliminated any thought of tutoring from Justin’s mind. As it turned out Justin returned the favor and after a second session of fucking both men drifted off to sleep tired and completely satisfied.

The next morning Brian was up and out early again but Gus got up in time to have breakfast with his Daddy. When Gus took the coffee upstairs Justin was already in the shower so Gus climbed into bed to wait for him.

When Justin came out of the bathroom Gus pretended to be asleep until his Papa gave him a kiss and tickled him. When they got back to the kitchen John and Peter were both eating breakfast.

Bill Gardner and Ron Kramsie arrived at almost the same time so Justin was surprised when he opened the front door and both men were standing there.

“Good morning Bill. Ron, good morning. John is waiting for you in the dining room.”

When Ron was safely out of hearing range. Bill grimaced. “Poor John getting Mr Kramsie as his tutor.”

“Why do you say that? Is Ron not a good teacher?”

“I think he is a very good teacher but he is also known for being very strict. I can’t believe you call him Ron he lets parents know he prefers to be addressed as Mr Kramsie. He feels it keeps the relationship professional.”

Justin shrugged. “I like to keep things on a first name basis. He hasn’t said anything to me about it. I find him to be a little full of himself.”

“I can’t disagree about that but he is a good teacher, just tough. I know that Josh is dreading ever having him as a teacher.”

Peter appeared ready to leave. Justin stopped him. “Bill could you give me a minute with Peter. He’ll be right out.”

A somewhat confused Bill went out to his car.

“Peter what is going on with John’s tutoring. I know you started to say something yesterday and John stopped you with a death stare.”

“I promised not to say anything. I can’t betray my promise to John. If you want to know what’s going on why don’t you stand outside the door and listen for a while.”

With that Peter was out the door.