Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

Sorry it took so long to update.  I was traveling.  Hope you enjoy the new chapter.

 

Sickness & Health, Good Times & Bad

Chapter 48

Claire watched the clock all day anxiously waiting for the end of her business day. Shortly before closing time she answered the phone and was unhappy to hear Sally’s voice.

“Claire, I’ve had two calls from Peggy today and just got off the phone with Steve. It seems there were some problems today.”

Claire closed her eyes and tried to keep her voice steady. She felt the tear gathering behind her eye lids. “I had a horrible night and overslept. It has just been one of those days when everything has gone wrong.”

“Peggy said that you left a patient on hold for almost ten minutes. Didn’t you notice the long hold warning on the phone?”

“I was in the kitchen when I answered that call. When I got back to the desk I took another call. I was just about to get back to the first call when Peggy came out to the desk. Since I put the call on hold the warning went off on the kitchen phone.”

“Well I guess I see how that could happen. Claire you have been doing an Okay job but you have to realize that the most important person in the office is Steve and after him Peggy. She has been complaining to him all day which is why he called me. I know everyone can have an off day but you really have to apply yourself better. I know Peggy is difficult but you are giving her plenty of ammunition. Please try and get a good night’s sleep and have a better day tomorrow.”

Claire worked hard to keep her voice steady as she told Sally she would do as she asked. She closed up the office with tears running down her face. She spent some time in the ladies room getting herself together before saying good night to Steve and Peggy and heading out to the bus stop.

*************************************************************************************

The zoo goers arrived back right on schedule around 5PM. Greg was carrying a sleeping Kevin and an obviously half asleep Gus walked beside them. Greg smiled. “They both fell asleep in the car. I think their naps are not quite over?”

Justin scooped Gus up and led the way upstairs to Gus’s room. He put Gus on the bed and pulled out the trundle for Kevin. Both boys got their shoes pulled off and light covers pulled over them and both were immediately back asleep. Justin pushed the listen button on the house intercom and he and Greg went back downstairs.

Roxanne was standing in the entrance hall holding a large bag from the zoo shop. “Here are Gus’s purchases. He got a story book, a coloring book, a T shirt for himself and T shirts for John & Peter. He came in right about on target. There’s some change from your hundred in the bottom of the bag.”

Justin smiled. “That was nice that he got shirts for John & Peter. How about a cold drink?”

That sounded good to both Greg and Roxanne and they followed Justin to the family room. Justin punched the listen button on the family room intercom so they would hear when Gus or Kevin woke up.

“So did you guys have fun?”

Roxanne smiled at Justin. “It was great. Kevin is so taken with Gus. He is usually a little timid about getting too close to the animal areas but Gus told him that his Daddy said the barriers protect the people from the animals and the animals from the people so it was okay to get close up so they could see better. I tell Kevin it is okay to get close every time we go but Gus is apparently wiser than me or rather his Daddy is the wise one.”

Justin chuckled. “Gus takes everything that Brian says as absolute gospel. It annoys his mommies but if Brian tells him something no one else can convince him it is not correct. One of these days I’m sure that will wear off.”

Molly and Mark wandered down the hall from the media room. Mark got lots of sympathy from Greg and Roxanne. Justin noticed he was dressed in his freshly laundered clothes and was wearing the “fun sling” with the happy faces.

Molly asked about the zoo trip and got the rundown on what they had seen and done. Greg said it was nice to have a day off from work as things were kind of up in the air there.

Justin knew that Greg worked at the University Hospital but asked what he did there. “I work in the graphics department. We create print and digital materials for the different areas of the hospital. Our department falls under the director of communications and they just hired a new director. I’ve been there 7 years. In graphics we have two team leaders, me and Joe Mullin. We each have two guys under us and we are assigned different departments to work with. The new guy has hired a Manager to oversee graphics so we won’t be team leaders any more. No change in pay but a lower job grade.”

Justin nodded. “That has to be tough.”

Greg shrugged but Roxanne gave her opinion. “The new director wants to be the new broom sweeping clean. He questions everything Greg does. Plus he bought a new graphics program that everyone has to learn with just half a day training.”

This was something Justin knew something about. “What is the new program?”

Greg made a disgusted face. “Doodle Dayz.”

Justin frowned. “We bought a new graphics program for Kinnetik a few years ago. I looked at Doodle Dayz but we decided on Grafix 21st. That just seemed to be a lot more flexible than any other program we looked at. I guess they must have made some major improvements to Doodle Dayz since we considered it.”

Greg shook his head. “I don’t think there have been many improvements. We have been using Grafix so we feel like we are taking a step back. My team does the hospital newsletter and we have always inserted GIFs in the electronic version. Mostly just some silly, fun stuff but it encouraged employees to sign up for the e-version and we had to print less hard copies. That saved on printing costs as well as curring down on trash since most people throw out the newsletters after glancing through it. It was easy to insert the GIFs with Grafix but Doodle makes it pretty difficult and it take forever for the GIFs to load. We’ve had a lot of complaints from employees. The director seems to think we made mistakes and I tried to explain the process to him but he said the new manager suggested the switch so he’ll be able to help us with the newsletter when he comes on board.”

“So the new manager hasn’t started yet?”

Roxanne made a disgusted snort. Greg just shook his head again. “No we have been told that he has to finish up at his current job. It is all very hush, hush but the director did slip and tell me the new guy’s name is Hal and he works for another company here in Pittsburgh. He is supposed to be on board with us within a month.”

Justin just nodded and didn’t say anything but he was wondering how many people named Hal managed art or graphics departments in Pittsburgh.

Lindsay and Melanie arrived home with the news that their belongings would be delivered the next day. Since it was such a nice afternoon they suggested moving out to the patio. Alice in the adjacent kitchen said she would listen for Gus and Kevin so everyone took their drinks and went outside.

Justin positioned his chair so he could see into the house in case Alice signaled that the boys were awake or Brian arrived home. John and Patrick were in the orchard helping Charlie pick peaches but after a little while they wandered over to the patio and got into the pool.

When he saw Brian enter the kitchen from the garage Justin got up and went in the house. He gave Brian a hug and kiss hello. “Molly and Mark came to visit so Mark could apologize for his parents’ behavior. I told him not to worry about it. Gus and Kevin were wiped out from the zoo so they are napping in Gus’s room.”

Justin could tell that Brian was out of sorts and regretted having invited the O’Brien’s to dinner. “Bad day at Kinnetik?”

Brian had his no emotions face firmly in place. “Just a day.nI guess I should go out and say hello before I change. I’m not responsible for grilling anything, am I?”

“No Brian. Alice is in charge of dinner.”

Brian went out to the patio with Justin following him. Roxanne and Greg stood to greet him. Brian moved over to give Molly a kiss on the cheek and say hello to Mark. Molly smiled as she told Brian. “I’m glad you are home. You can keep Justin under control.”

“I’m not sure anyone can actually control your brother. What specifically has he done today to annoy you?”

“Well I want him to stop taking showers with my boyfriend.”

Brian’s head whipped around to give Justin a questioning look. Justin knew this was not a day when Brian was up for teasing. “Mark can’t take a shower alone with his broken arm so I helped him in the shower.”

Brian nodded and turned back towards the O’Briens. “Well I’m going to go up and change. See you in a couple minutes.”

Justin rolled his eyes at the confused Molly and followed Brian back inside. “Brian wait a minute.”

Brian turned around to glare at Justin. “Did you really take a shower with Mark?”

“I helped him get washed, that’s all there is to it.”

“Okay. I’m going to get changed. You shouldn’t ignore YOUR guests.”

Brian turned away and quickly headed upstairs. When Justin started back outside he saw Alice at the pantry door. “What was that all about?”

Justin shrugged. “I think there was a problem at Kinnetik today but got no info on that. Molly teased about Mark and I taking a shower and Brian chose to get upset. He’ll get over it.”

Right at that moment Justin heard talking from Gus’s room on the intercom and headed upstairs. He got the boys to use the bathroom and then they all headed downstairs. On their way through the kitchen Alice let Justin know dinner was ready to be served whenever they were ready.

Justin nodded. “Let’s wait for Brian to come down. He’ll probably want a drink to unwind before we eat.”

He went outside with a forced smile on his face. Molly knew something was wrong but her brother gave her a quick shake of his head and she didn’t say anything. Greg and Roxanne sensed the tension but weren’t sure what they should say or do. Gus and Kevin were busy telling Gus's mommies, John and Patrick all about their adventures at the zoo.

Alice heard Brian come down the stairs and waited in the kitchen for him to appear. When Brian didn’t show up she went looking for him. She immediately saw that the study door was closed and hurried down the hall.

She gave the door a quick knock and went inside. Brian looked up from his computer. “Brian, dinner is ready to be served.”

Brian looked back down at his computer screen. “I have some work to catch up on. You can go ahead and serve dinner without me.”

“There is no way I am serving dinner while you sit and sulk in here. I have no idea what your problem is but I am not going to allow you to embarrass Justin, disappoint your son and make the O’Briens feel uncomfortable. Not to mention giving Lindsay the satisfaction of thinking there is some problem between you and Justin.”

Brian did not even look up. “Let’s try and remember who the employer is here.”

Alice gave a short harsh laugh. “Are we really going to go there? Let me assure you Mr Kinney, sir, that if you don’t get off your ass and out on that patio you won’t have to worry about firing me because I will happily quit.”

Brian looked up. “Justin invited those breeders for dinner so he can take care of entertaining them. He seemed to have no trouble entertaining his sister’s boyfriend this afternoon.”

“If my memory is correct the last time those breeders were guests in this house it was at YOUR invitation. I find it hard to believe that you could be jealous because Justin helped Mark get showered. Surely you realize that Justin is only interested in you and that he loves only you! I am the one who insisted he help Mark get showered so if you want to be angry at anyone it would be me. Of course it is stupid for you to be angry at anyone over that shower. I strongly suggest you just let it go because you are acting like a jackass and you need to stop.”

Brian had the grace to look sheepish as he locked his computer, got up and followed Alice to the kitchen. Alice went immediately to the stove and Brian headed for the patio doors. “Send John and Patrick in to help me get the food on the table.”

Brian chuckled. “Yes Ma’am.”

Brian delivered Alice’s message to John and Patrick as soon as he got outside. Gus shouted “Daddy.” And ran towards him followed closely by Kevin. Brian knelt down so he could scoop both boys into a hug. They both giggled as Brian tickled them. “Did you guys have fun at the zoo today?”

Both boys shouted yes and started to relate their zoo adventures, happy to have someone new to tell about their day. Brian picked both boys up and walked over to give Justin a kiss on the cheek. He was rewarded with a full sunshine smile.

Brian put the two squirming boys down. He sat beside Justin, Gus climbed onto his father’s lap and Kevin claimed a spot on Uncle Justin’s lap. Both boys competed to tell Brian about their zoo trip. Brian and Justin were both laughing at the boys’ antics. Brian reached over to rest his hand on Justin’s arm.

The zoo saga was interrupted by Alice announcing dinner. Everyone headed into the dining room. Lindsay attempted to get Gus to sit between her and Melanie but he was determined to sit next to his friend Kevin. Brian sat on the other side of his son and Roxanne claimed the seat next to Kevin.

Roxanne was trying her best to figure out Lindsay. She wanted to be sure that Gus and Kevin would continue to spend time together. Greg and Roxanne liked Justin and Brian so much and they, along with Jennifer, have been so wonderful with Kevin. Roxanne was anxious to establish a good relationship with Gus’s mothers.

Roxanne smiled across the table at Lindsay. “Lindsay, I heard you say your furniture and belongings are arriving tomorrow. You must be anxious to get settled in at your new home.”

“Well this is just a temporary move. We are moving in to Brian’s old loft until we get settled into our jobs. The four of us will be pretty cramped but I guess we’ll make the best of it.”

Justin quickly looked at Brian to see how upset he was. His partner winked at him. “Linds sometimes I think you are looking for a place as big as all outdoors.”

Justin, mostly successfully, turned his laugh into a cough but still got a dirty look from Lindsay.

Brian caught a glimpse of Molly’s face and was amazed at her narrow eyed look that was so much like her mother’s. Molly directed her attention at Lindsay. “Well Lindsay at least you can’t complain about the cost of living at the loft. You will be living there rent free with Justin and Brian even continuing to pay the utilities. Seems to me a lot of people would be extremely grateful to get a free place to live while they settle into their new life.”

Lindsay had a big fake smile on her face. “Well Molly dear you should know about free rides since your college costs are all covered by Brian.”

Molly returned the smile. “I am very grateful to my BROTHER and Brian for their generosity. I tell them both all the time how grateful I am for all the help they give me. It is just one small reason why I love them both so much. I am very lucky to have them in my life and for taking such good care of me.”

Brian chuckled. “I am happy to be the recipient of all this Taylor adoration and to have all three of them as my family.”

Justin laughed out loud this time and the tension at the table dissipated. Roxanne didn’t completely understand this exchange but it was clear to her that there was more to Lindsay and Melanie’s move back to Pittsburgh than she knew.

The rest of the dinner conversation was lighter and much of it concerned John and Patrick’s soccer game on the next day. Molly and Mark left right after dessert.

John and Patrick cleared the table with assistance from Gus and Kevin. Roxanne worried about Kevin carrying the obviously expensive china to the kitchen but Justin assured her that nothing was a family heirloom and everything could be easier replaced. Roxanne worried needlessly as everything made its way to the kitchen without incident.

Once clean-up was done the O’Briens left taking John with them to spend the night at their house. Lindsay and Melanie went out on the patio with some brandy while Brian gave Gus his bath and Justin read him a bedtime story.

While Justin was reading to Gus, Brian went downstairs poured himself some Beam in the study, grabbed a folder off the desk and then went out on the patio.

He settled into a lounger next to Lindsay. “So ladies have you had a chance to look at schools for Gus & JR?”

Melanie spoke first. “We have done some research online and have discussed a couple options.”

Lindsay entered the discussion. “We have been looking at the public schools as well as private since we weren’t sure what you might contribute for Gus’s schooling.”

Brian shook his head slowly. “When did I ever deny you anything you needed for our son? Why would you say you aren’t sure I would pay for Gus’s school?”

Lindsay shrugged. “You seem to have a lot more financial obligations these days. Your nephews are being sent to an expensive school. You are feeding them and clothing them and paying for their summer activities. Mel and I aren’t sure how that effects what’s left over for Gus.”

“What’s left over for Gus!!! Linds how do you come up with this stuff? Gus and Justin are the most important people in my life, they are my life. There are no leftovers for them. They come first with me. You mention everything we have done for John and Peter but skip right over all the money Justin and I have given or spent on you. We paid for your move and Mel’s continuing ed classes. You seem to skip over everything that Justin and I do for you and just expect more.”

Lindsay didn’t say anything but Melanie said how much they both appreciated everything that Brian and Justin were doing to help them get their life back in order. Lindsay did nod in agreement but Brian still had a hard time with her behavior over John & Peter being part of his life and her jealousy.

Brian handed the folder to Melanie. “Justin did some research on schools. We like the Fort Pitt School. It has a great reputation and it’s close to Kinnetik and the Bloom Gallery. They offer pre-school right through eighth grade. There’s info on some other schools in that folder.”

Justin came outside and settled on the lounger with Brian, he helped himself to a sip of Brian’s drink.

Melanie and Lindsay exchanged a look before Lindsay spoke. “Mel knows someone at her old law firm that sends their children to Fort Pitt. They gave it rave reviews. Our issue is that we want Gus and JR to attend the same school. Right now neither Michael nor Mel and I can afford JR’s tuition.”

Before Brian could say anything an exasperated Justin spoke up. “Honestly Linds, do you really think that Brian and I are not prepared to pay for JR as well as Gus.”

Brian smiled at his partner’s outrage. “Of course we’ll pay the full tuition for JR this year. Going forward I hope that you or Michael would kick in at least part of her tuition.”

Mel answered. “That is more than fair. I want you to know how much I appreciate your willingness to pay all the tuition for this year. Of course we’ll plan to pay her tuition after this year. I truly appreciate all the help you are giving us. I know this is a tough situation for all of us but you guys are being extremely generous. Lindsay and I don’t know what we would do without all your help.”

Lindsay smiled. “Brian you know I have always appreciated all your support for anything that Gus needed.”

“Justin and I love Gus and are happy to provide anything he needs now and in the future.”

Lindsay smile faded just slightly at Brian’s inclusion of Justin in that statement. “You guys have been wonderful. I’m sorry if I haven’t acted as grateful as I should have.”

Melanie and Lindsay agreed to contact the Fort Pitt School and get back to Brian and Justin with tuition costs. Then saying they had a busy day tomorrow the girls went upstairs to their room.

Justin leaned back against Brian who put his arms around the blonde and held him tight. Justin sighed with contentment. “This is so great to be together like this with no one around. It doesn’t happen too often anymore.”

Brian chuckled. “You are the one who wanted John & Peter to come here and live. I warned you it would impact out sex life.”

Justin laughed. “I don’t think we have exactly living like monks but since we have this opportunity why don’t we move to the hot tub.”

“That sounds like a good plan. An even better plan would be for you to ride my hard dick while we were in the hot tub.”

Justin turned and gave Brian a deep kiss. “That sounds like a wonderful plan to me as long as you are “up” for that.”

“Oh I’m “up” for it Sunshine. Just thinking about your tight bubble butt and I’m “up” for whatever you can handle.”

Justin laughed as he got up and moved towards the hot tub dropping his clothes along the way. Brian followed quickly behind his lover.

Half an hour later two sated men sat side by side in the hot tub. Brian had his arm around Justin holding him close. Justin leaned his head against Brian’s shoulder. “So what happened at Kinnetik today to put you in such a bad mood when you got home?”

Brian sighed. “Hal was at his most annoying today. It almost seemed like he wanted to get fired. Cynthia, Patti and I were all trying to figure out what was going on with him.”

Justin smiled. “Greg was telling me about some changes at his job before you got home. It seems like they have a new director of communications at the University Hospital and he has hired a new manager for the graphics department, where Greg works. The new manager hasn’t started yet, he has a job where he has to finish up before he starts at the hospital. Apparently his identity is pretty hush hush but Greg did hear that the new guy’s first name is Hal.”

Brian moved away from Justin and turned to face his partner. “Are you serious?”

Justin nodded. “Greg didn’t get any last name but it would explain why Hal would want to get fired. He gets a pretty nice severance package if he gets fired. What does if he quits?”

“Basically nothing. We’d pay him two weeks salary because we wouldn’t want him hanging around but that’s all he’s entitled to. Do you really think Greg’s new manager Hal is our Hal?”

Justin shrugged. “I kind of hate to think of Hal as mine but it sure is an odd coincidence that the new manager of graphics had to finish up at a job and his name is Hal and your Hal is acting strange.”

Brian laughed. “So it’s my Hal; no way Sunshine he belongs to Kinnetik and WE own Kinnetik so he is OUR Hal.”

Brian started to climb out of the hot tub. “Where are you going?”

“I have to email Cynthia, Patti and Ted. We have to come up with a plan. I know one thing for sure I am not going to pay that weasel any severance.”

Brian pulled on his jeans and hurried in to the study. Justin chuckled as he got out of the hot tub. He pulled on his pants and went into the house. Justin checked to make sure the doors where all locked, set the alarm and went up to bed.