Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Sickness & Health, Good Times & Bad

Chapter 45

Justin wrote the check for Melanie’s continuing education class. “I really appreciate this Justin. I can’t thank you and Brian enough for helping us get our lives back on track. I’m sorry that Lindsay is having such a problem dealing with all the changes. I think she is feeling guilty and just doesn’t know how to deal with it.”

Justin gave a brief bitter laugh. “That is a very generous and loving excuse for her behavior. I’m afraid I don’t agree.”

Melanie just shrugged. “I understand.” When Justin didn’t say anything else she left the study.

The house phone rang and Justin answered. “Justin this is Roxanne O’Brien.”

“Hi Roxanne. What can I do for you?”

“Justin, Greg decided to take Friday off from work. We are going to take Kevin to the zoo and we hoped Gus could go along with us.”

“I’m sure he would happy to go with you. Gus loves the zoo.”

“We thought we could pick him up about 10 AM. We’ll have lunch at the zoo and have him home around dinner time.”

“That sounds good. How is Patrick going to get to and from soccer practice?”

“We’re still working on that but we’ll get it set up before Friday.”

“Let’s make it simple. Just drop off Patrick here when you pick up Gus. We’ll take care of getting him and John to practice and back here. You, Greg and Kevin should eat dinner here when you bring Gus back.”

“Justin we cannot have another meal at your house. It is our turn to have you and Brian here for dinner.”

“Trust me that will be tough to do. Brian prefers staying at home for meals. It is no problem for you guys to stay for dinner. Alice likes cooking for a crowd.”

Roxanne laughingly agreed.

Justin called the company he used to ship his paintings to shows. He arranged for them to come on Friday to crate up the canvasses he selected for his San Francisco show. Justin liked to oversee the packing so it would be good to have Gus taken care of by the O’Briens.

He also called Brian and brought him up to date on the munchers. Brian told Justin that he would have a talk with Lindsay when he got home.

When Justin walked back into the kitchen Lindsay was getting bottles of water out of the fridge and dripping water in the hardwood floor. Alice walked out of the pantry a moment after Justin entered the kitchen.

Justin grabbed some paper towels off the counter and threw them on the puddles on the floor. “Linds there is water and soda in the pool house refrigerator. We try not to come into the kitchen when we’re wet and dripping water.”

Alice had grabbed a mop and got to work getting the water off the floor.

“Sorry I guess I didn’t think about going in the pool house for drinks. By the way could you look after JR tomorrow? Melanie and I want to go over to the loft to measure and decide what furniture we will use.”

“I’m sorry but Brian and I have a business meeting to attend tomorrow morning. I was actually going to ask you to keep an eye on Gus while I was gone.”

Lindsay was unhappy. “Well. Can Alice watch the children?”

Justin saw Alice nodding her head at him but turned away. “Linds, I told you before Alice is our housekeeper not the nanny. We only ask her to mind Gus in an emergency. Tomorrow is the day the cleaning service come so Alice will be busy supervising them. She likes to say she has to be sure they clean to Brian’s standards but I think Alice standards may even be tougher than Brian’s.”

Lindsay gave a dramatic sigh before continuing. “What are you going to do with Gus while you are at this urgent meeting?”

Justin smiled. “We’ll take Gus to Kinnetik with us. The meeting won’t be all that long. He can color or read or play with a Game Boy in Cynthia or Ted’s office. Brian hung a painting Gus did of the 4th of July fireworks in his office and Gus had been anxious to see the painting hanging there so he’ll be happy to go with us.”

“It must be wonderful to have so many employees at your disposal. You even have someone to supervise the people you pay to clean. You have a pretty carefree life.”

Alice spoke up. “Excuse me. Would you move outside so this employee can clean up the mess YOU made on the floor? Brian and Justin work hard for the life they have. I would hardly call it carefree. Brian is often working on Kinnetik business even here at home. Justin works on his painting until his hand starts to cramp. No one is just handing them money!”

Lindsay flushed and turned to reply to Alice but the hard, stern look on the housekeeper’s face stopped her. Lindsay hated that something about both Alice and Jennifer intimidated her. She felt she had no chance of winning any confrontation with either woman.

Justin and Lindsay moved out onto the patio. “Linds you should give Michael a call. I bet he would be happy to look after JR even if it is at his store. Or maybe you can go to the loft on Friday. I could look after JR on Friday. The shipping company will be here packing up the canvases for my San Francisco show.”

Lindsay shook her head. “No. On Friday I made arrangements with my parents to bring Gus for a visit.”

“I just made a date for Gus to go to the zoo with our friends, the O’Briens, and their son Kevin. You’ll have to reschedule with your parents.”

“I certainly will not. My parents are looking forward to seeing Gus. You should have checked with me before making any plans for my son.”

“This is still the month that Gus is spending with Brian and me. From my perspective you should have checked with US before you made plans for Gus. Your parents never seem to be that interested in Gus so I’m sure they won’t be all that disappointed. They can see him anytime now that you are moving back. This invite to the zone with Kevin is a one-time thing.”

“I don’t even know who these people are. Does Gus know them?”

“Yes Gus knows them. Their son, Patrick, plays on the same soccer team as John. Gus has spent time with Kevin at a couple soccer games and they were all here last weekend for a cookout. In fact I invited them to stay for dinner when they bring Gus back after the zoo.”

“You’ll have to cancel. My parents cleared their schedule and are expecting us.”

Justin just stared into Lindsay’s face for a couple minutes. “I’m not going to discuss this with you anymore. You and Brian can make this decision when he gets home.”

Justin turned and went back in the house. Went up to the studio, called Brian and related his conversation with Lindsay to his incredulous lover. Brian immediately said he would cancel his afternoon meeting and leave for home. Justin urged him not to let Lindsay interfere with his day and just come home when he was done for the day at Kinnetik.

After Justin picked up John from soccer practice he changed into a swimsuit. When he got out on the patio Gus was sitting on a lounge with Peter who was reading to him. Lindsay was on another lounge also reading. Justin figured Mel had taken JR upstairs for a nap. When Gus spotted Justin he ran over to him. "Are you going to go swimming now Papa? Mommy got tired of swimming and Mama took JR for a nap.”

“Sure I’m ready to swim. How about we play a game of ring toss.”

Since that was one of Gus’s favorite things to do he yelled with excitement and jumped into the pool. Lindsay looked up but didn’t say anything. John came out of the house in a swimsuit and cannonballed into the pool which caused Gus to laugh and clap his hands. Peter came over and jumped in the pool. Justin cannonballed in to join the group which delighted Gus.

Gus won two games of ring toss against Justin and moved on to John as his next opponent. Justin climbed into one of the floating lounge chairs and floated around the pool. He saw Brian come into the kitchen. He and Alice talked for a few minutes before Brian came outside.

Gus got out of the pool and rushed over to give his Daddy a kiss hello and ask the inevitable question – was he coming swimming.
Brian gave his son a hug and said dinner would be ready soon so he would wait until afterwards to go in the pool.

Brian walked to the side of the pool and gave Justin, who had paddled to the side, a kiss hello. Lindsay had remained reading silently. Brian walked over to her. “Hey Linds. There’s a couple things I’d like to talk to you about; let’s go to the study.”

Lindsay frowned and glanced over at Justin who gave her a big smile. Brian grabbed a cushion off one of the patio chairs and led the way to the study.

He dropped the cushion on one of the chairs around the table in the study. “Have a seat Linds. Not sure if you were completely dry so I brought the cushion.”

Lindsay chuckled. “Still kind of anal about your furniture. Some things never change.”

Brian smiled. “And some things and people do change. Alice stopped me when I came in the house. She told me that earlier you made a couple remarks to Justin about money and employees.”

Lindsay sighed. “I imagine Justin didn’t want to appear whiney so he asked Alice to impart that information to you.”

“I don’t think that Justin would have thought that important enough to bother me with. You have offended Alice and you have offended Mother Taylor. They are two women I work hard at not offending. I’m not sure what you are trying to accomplish by this persistent bad attitude but I advise you to be careful of who you offend.

Just so you know how I feel. If Justin decides tomorrow he never wants to sell another painting that would be no problem for me. You remember that in the beginning of our relationship I paid all our living expenses and I would have no problem doing that again. It took me a long time to realize it but I love Justin and all I require of him is to love me too.”

“Well Justin certainly has you well trained.”

Brian laughed. “Yes; it took him quite a long time. You know that old saying about teaching an old dog new tricks but Justin was able to teach me that I am worthy of love.”

Lindsay bristled. “I loved you long before you even met Justin. You seem to forget the love your old friends gave you.”

“You and Michael loved me as a misfit. Someone who needed your help. I think it annoys you both that Justin loved me for who I was and I could become. Justin was grateful for every material thing I ever gave him and never demanded more things from me.”

Lindsay said nothing.

“Now as far as Gus’s Friday schedule. I am guessing that you were counting on his cuteness factor to try and pry some cash loose from Mother and Daddy Peterson. You have been nursing that hope for quite a while now. I have some bad news for you. I believe in being prepared so I had someone do a little research for me.

I know Daddy Peterson told you that he decided that he had worked long enough and it was time for him to take it easy. Actually in order to avoid a very nasty sexual harassment lawsuit he had to pay a pretty substantial cash settlement and was forced to take early retirement. Apparently new admin staff members were not as accommodating as Daddy was used to dealing with.

I remember you telling me that Mother Peterson told you that they didn’t like the “new crowd” at the country club so they dropped their membership. I believe the true story is that your mother had an affair with the tennis pro at the country club and also slept with one of the parking valets. When she propositioned one of the busboys in the restaurant the country club management had enough. Of course your parents being a few month in arrears on their dues made it easy for the club manager to tell them they were no longer welcome at the club. I am pretty sure there will be no money coming from your parents.

Gus is going to the zoo on Friday.”

Lindsay was pretty wide eyed at Brian’s revelations. “So I guess you are enjoying calling all the shots. You don’t think that it is unfair of you to take advantage of our financial situation to dictate terms to us?”

“I think the problem is that you are so used being able to use my time spent with Gus to dictate terms to me you are having trouble accepting you can’t do that anymore. As Justin told you this is our month with Gus so you need to accept we have the right to decide what Gus gets to do while he is staying with us.”

“Fine. Just remember this when Mel and I are back on our feet financially and you don’t have this control anymore. If you don’t get all the time with Gus that you want, you’ll understand why.”

Brian slowly shook his head. “That reminds me. You and Melanie need to stop at my lawyer’s office sometime in the next couple days and sign the official visitation agreement. That needs to be signed before you move into the loft. I know Justin gave you the keys but we can change the alarm code anytime we want.”

Lindsay stood up. “Yes Sir! Anything else Sir?”

Brian shrugged. “Nothing at the moment. You’re dismissed for now.”

Once Brian was sure Lindsay had time to get into her bedroom he went upstairs and changed his clothes. He headed down to the patio. Justin was again playing ring toss with the insatiable Gus. Brian laughed, knowing that John and Peter had no doubt completed their ring toss shifts. “You know Sonny Boy I think you would play ring toss 24 hours a day if you could.”

Gus refused to be distracted from the game. “I love playing ring toss Daddy. Papa doesn’t mind playing with me.”

Justin made an exaggerated sad face and shook his head at Brian while Gus concentrated on throwing his rings. Gus managed to land all three of his rings on the target and turned in triumph to Justin. “I win again Papa. Daddy are you ready to come in the pool?”

“It is almost time for dinner so it is time for everyone to get out of the pool and change their clothes. Alice decided we are eating in the dining room tonight.”

John and Peter got out of the pool and went upstairs to their room. Justin followed Gus out of the water. “I’m going upstairs to get showered and changed. There are clean clothes for Gus in the pool house.”

Brian took Gus into the pool house to get showered and dressed for dinner. He let his son know that tomorrow he would get to come to the Kinnetik office with Justin. Gus would get to see his painting hanging in Brian’s office. While his Daddy & Papa went to a meeting Gus would hang out in either Uncle Ted’s office or Miss Cynthia’s office and after the meeting they would go to the diner for lunch.

Gus was very excited; it sounded like a great day to him. Then his father told him that on Friday Gus was going to the zoo with Kevin and his parents. Gus could hardly believe how awesome the next two days sounded.

Melanie came down for dinner first with JR. She let Brian know that she had left a message with his lawyer’s office to let them know a good time on Thursday or Friday to stop by and sing the visitation agreement. Brian thanked her and Melanie replied. “I’m trying” with an exasperated look on her face.

Alice excelled with Dinner; twice baked potatoes, green beans almondine, carrots with honey, homemade applesauce and roast pork. Dessert was chocolate chiffon pie with vanilla ice cream. Gus was so stuffed by the time he was done eating that Brian told him that if he stuck a pin in Gus’s stomach he would explode. Gus laughed and said his Daddy should stick the pin in Papa’s stomach because he ate the most. Brian said that was probably true but Justin just laughed. Brian shook his head but was really amused by his two boys and their enormous appetites.

The next morning Brian was up and out of the house early after he and Gus had breakfast together. Gus took coffee up to his Papa, their normal morning routine.

Justin took his shower and got dressed while Gus read. When Justin emerged wearing a dark blue silk shirt and a charcoal grey suit Gus’s eyes got wide. “Wow Papa you look beautiful. You never wear clothes like that. You’re dressed like Daddy.”

Justin smiled and gave Gus a kiss. “Well your Daddy bought these clothes so I guess it makes sense that I’m dressed like him. Let’s get you dressed and we’ll head for Kinnetik.”

************************************************************************************
When Claire came out of the house she spotted Tino car. He got out and walked over towards her. “So honey I guess you have been avoiding me. I know I deserve it. I’m really sorry I hit you. I was having a really shitty day and took it out on you. Let me give you a ride to work and we’ll talk about what I can do to make it up to you.”

Claire let Tino take her arm and lead her to his car.
*************************************************************************************

At Kinnetik Gus was thrilled to see his painting hanging in Brian’s office. Justin took a picture of Brian and Gus standing by the painting so Gus could show his mommies. Gus happily settled in Uncle Ted’s office, with a story book, a coloring book and a Game Boy, while Brian and Justin went to their meeting at Taylor Electronic.

Brian parked outside Craig Taylor’s store. He turned to Justin. “Are you okay with this Sunshine?” Justin had a big smile on his face. “I am actually looking forward to this. You always say the way to make someone who hurt you sorry is to be a big success. Craig will fucking hate that the money to save his company came from you.”

“It came from US Sunshine. Everything comes from both of us. I thought by now you would understand what it means to be partners.”

Justin punched Brian in the arm. “Asshole.”

“Just remember Sunshine that I’m your asshole.”

Justin laughed. “I’m not even going to acknowledge that statement but you are often full of crap. Come on let’s go ruin Craig’s day!”

As soon as they walked through the door a salesman came up to them. “Can I help you with something?”

Brian nodded. “We have an appointment to see Craig Taylor. We are Sunshine Associates.”

“Of course. Go straight through to the back of the store. Mr Taylor’s assistant will buzz you into the office.”

It was a very deja vu walk for Justin. He had been here in this store so many times over the years. Most of the memories were actually happy but after how Craig had reacted when Justin told him he was gay made all those memories bittersweet.

As they walked up to a door at the back of the store it opened and Craig Taylor longtime assistant held the door open and smiled at them. Suddenly she recognized the shorter man. “Justin?”

“Yes Delores it’s me. Nice to see you after all this time. How’s your family doing?”

“They’re all doing fine. Your father is expecting some people for a business meeting. I’m not sure why you’re here but this is not a good time to see your father.”

Justin chuckled. “I know Craig is waiting for Sunshine Associates. This is my partner Brian Kinney and we are Sunshine Associates.”

Dolores’s eyes widened. “Seriously?”

Brian reached into the portfolio he was carrying. “As Justin said I’m Brian Kinney. Here are the documents showing Justin and I as the principals of Sunshine Associates. A copy of these documents was delivered to Craig’s attorney. If Craig has any questions he can call his attorney.”

Brian and Justin walked through the door info the office suite. Having heard voices Craig opened his office door with a smile. He spotted Brian first and the smile disappeared. “Kinney what are you doing here? Dolores call the police.”

Justin stepped in front of Brian. “I’d hold off on that call Dolores. Maybe you should give Craig those papers that show that Brian and I are Sunshine Associates. It is bad business to call the police on people who have invested money into your company.”

Dolores handed the papers to Craig who quickly looked through them. “Is this some kind of joke?”

Justin shook his head. “Nope. We are the investors whose loan is coming due very soon. Actually it was Brian who made the initial investment. I just found out about it myself.”

“Why would Kinney invest money in my company?”

Brian had an amused smirk of his face, designed to annoy Craig Taylor and it seemed to be doing just that. “Well Taylor; a few years ago you had informed Jennifer that you were having financial issues and might not be able to continue her alimony and support for Molly. I didn’t want to see either of them suffer for your errors so I invested money to keep Taylor Electronics in business. Of course now neither Jennifer nor Molly needs any money from you so we may have to reconsider this investment.”

“Why wouldn’t you just give the money directly to them?”

“Jennifer wouldn’t have wanted to accept the money. She would have considered it a handout. So I just made sure you could fulfill your legal obligations. Plus, to be completely honest, it kind of amused me to invest money in your business.”

Dolores spoke up. “Craig maybe you should go into your office to continue this discussion.” She nodded towards the window in the door that opened to the store. Several employees seemed to find the rear of the store of great interest.

Craig walked into his office. A grinning Brian and Justin followed him. When the three men disappeared into Craig’s office Dolores went out into the store. “Everyone get back to work!”

Sophie who had worked at Taylor Electronics for even longer than Dolores came over to her. “Was that Justin?”

Dolores nodded. “Yes it’s Justin.”

“He looks good. Those look like expensive clothes he is wearing. I thought Mr Taylor was meeting with some investors today?”

“He is. Justin and his friend, his partner, are the investors.”

Sophie looked amazed. “Did Mr Taylor know that?”

“Of course not. I’m really not sure just what is going on.”

Dolores went back into the office and Sophie went to spread her gossip to co-workers.

Inside the office Craig was sitting behind his desk. “So what is the purpose behind this meeting? Did you just want to come here to shove my face in the fact that you have loaned my company money and are now going to call the loan due?”

Justin smiled. “Well Craig we haven’t made a decision on whether Sunshine Associates are going to extend your loan or not.”

“Justin isn’t it kind of silly to keep calling me Craig. We all know that I’m your father.”

Justin stared directly into Craig Taylor’s face. “You are the one who told me that I was no longer your son if I left with Brian. I left with him and have stayed with him. I am happy enough to no longer being your son.”

Craig had the grace to blush with embarrassment. “So again I’ll ask. What is the purpose of this meeting?”

Brian sat in one of the guest chairs and indicated to Justin to sit in the other chair. “Sunshine Associates will extend the loan if you agree to have an independent audit of your finances, both business and personal. We would also require you to hire a business consultant, acceptable to you and us, to develop a go-forward business plan for Taylor Electronics.”

Craig stood up, his face livid. “I started this company and have run it on my own for years. I refuse to have someone come in here and tell me how to run things.”

Brian still smiled. “My understanding is that you started this company with money given to you by Jennifer’s parents. Your management of this company has hardly been anything to brag about or you wouldn’t need our money.”

Craig continued to stand. “Get out of my office and get out of my store. I don’t need your money and certainly don’t want to do business with you Kinney. I’ll arrange alternate financing and pay off the loan.”

Brian stood up, still smiling. “Good luck with that Taylor.”

Justin, also smiling, stood up and Brian put his arm around his lover’s shoulders. Craig was infuriated. “You think you are so smart. You should hope I get financing because otherwise you may lose your money if I’m forced into bankruptcy.”

Brian shrugged. “The money was just some spare cash I had laying around. It won’t have any impact on our finances if you go bankrupt.”

Justin looked at his evil sperm donor. “Brian and I won’t have any effect on our lives but I think your pride would be quite hurt to see your precious business fail. It’s one thing to lose your family but to also lose your business would mean you have failed at your entire life.”

Brian and Justin left the office before the stunned Craig Taylor could reply.