Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

Sickness & Health, Good Times & Bad

Chapter 30

Justin was going through his finished pieces to do some preliminary planning for his August show when his cell phone rang. He glanced at the display before answering and saw a local number but not one that he recognized.

“Hello” “Hi Justin. This is Melanie. I just wanted to let you know that we are at a friend’s house. Both Linds and I have been drinking wine so we think it is better for us to just stay here tonight.”

“Okay, that sounds like a good plan. So I guess we will see you tomorrow around noon at Kinnetik.”

“I guess so … I hope we will get there. I’ll try.”

“That really isn’t the answer I was looking for. Why would you not be there?”

“We may need to discuss this whole visitation thing some more before we commit to anything in writing.”

“NO FUCKING WAY! You are NOT going to do this to Brian. Let me assure you that no money will be transferred to your account until both your asses are in the conference room at Kinnetik.”

“Justin, Lindsay said Brian promised her he would send the money.”

“The money was promised with the condition of Brian getting formalized visitation rights with Gus. I can assure you that money will not be sent before you arrive for our meeting. Lindsay probably thinks she can manipulate Brian as she has done in the past. You both need to understand that I will not let that happen.”

“I know Brian has talked to a lawyer and he feels like he has a good chance of forcing this issue. I wonder if that lawyer know about Brian’s lifestyle over the years. Not exactly father of the year stuff.”

“In case you forgot Melanie just a few weeks ago you gave Brian a good review to the social worker who contacted you about the nephews coming to live with us. I’m sure a history of behavior would be really important if this goes to court. Let’s see if I have this straight; the first time you two separated it was because Lindsay cheated with Sam Auerbach. The second big dust up was when you cheated with Leda.

Getting to recent history you have somehow managed to take yourselves to the brink of bankruptcy. You are also having shouting matches that frighten your children and you say things like you will all be living on the street soon which worries and frightens your son.”

Melanie sighed at the other end of the conversation. “Listen Justin I don’t want to get into one-upmanship here. We have all made mistakes in the past because we’re human.”

“My point exactly Mel and I did not start that topic, you did. I was just pointing out that people who live in glass houses should not throw stones.”

“Justin I am really trying here. Lindsay wants to explore our options she is going to talk with her parents and you know they are not Brian’s biggest fans.”

“You know what Mel? I don’t really care who you or Lindsay talk to or who you manage to convince to give you money. You and Lindsay need to understand that if you are not at the meeting tomorrow, there will be no money transfer from us and the next time we talk will be in a courtroom.”

Justin disconnected and turned off his phone. He went downstairs and out on the patio. Brian was sitting on one lounger. Peter and Gus were sprawled on another lounger and Peter was reading to Gus.

Brian looked over at Justin with a smile. Justin motioned for Brian to come in the house. When Brian heard about Justin’s conversation with Mel he was incandescent with anger. For a moment Justin wasn’t sure he did the right thing in telling Brian about the call.

He managed to get Brian calmed down eventually. Brian headed to the study to email his lawyer while Justin got a couple chickens ready for the oven.

The rest of the afternoon went without incident. Justin turned his phone back on but there were no more calls from Melanie or Lindsay.

Brian spent most of his time with Gus, Peter & John divided their time between video games and the swimming pool. Justin spent considerable time on Sunday night dinner. The menu was roast chicken, baked yams, steamed broccoli and homemade biscuits and coconut custard pie for dessert.

The nephews were impressed by Justin’s culinary skills. Gus and Brian were more accustomed to meals prepared by Justin so less surprised by the dinner. Gus requested Peter read some more Harry Potter to him after dinner, so John helped Justin clean up from dinner.

“Uncle Justin is everything okay with Uncle Brian? When he thinks no one is paying attention he looks kind of upset.”

“Great powers of observation! It’s nothing for you to be concerned about. We are having a sort of dispute with Gus’s mothers.”

“I know I just met them but they seem kind of prissy and bitchy.”

Justin got a good laugh from John’s description. “They are not always like that but I can’t argue with your description of them for this visit. You can say whatever you want to Brian or me but don’t say anything around Gus.”

“Duh! Like I would bad mouth a little kid’s Mom. At Gus’s age I probably would have even defended my mother.”

************************************************************************************

The next morning Brian & Justin were up early to have breakfast with Gus. Leaving him in Alice’s care, they headed to the city. Brian got out at the Kinnetik building while Justin continued on to the Bloom Gallery.

Justin parked and went inside. He had emailed Sidney asking to meet with him this morning so Sidney was not surprised when Justin walked into his office.

“Good morning Justin. Would you like something to drink?”

“No I’m good. The reason I asked to see you this morning was we need to talk about the gallery manager position. I have a family situation that means I have a candidate I would like you to consider but it is still your final decision about who you chose as the best fit.”

Sidney smiled. “Families always seem to complicate our life but they also enrich it so what can we do.”

“You may remember that Lindsay Peterson and her wife moved to Canada a few years ago.”

“Yes I do remember hearing that but it was after she left the gallery.”

Justin nodded. “I do know why Lindsay was let go and I completely understand and agree with your decision. The thing is, the move to Canada has not worked out as planned. I think you know that Brian is the father of Lindsay’s son, Gus. It appears that Lindsay, Melanie and their children may be moving back to Pittsburgh. Brian thought that Lindsay might be a good fit for our gallery manager.”

Sidney chuckled. “Families! I was appalled by Lindsay lack of ethics when she had the affair with Sam Auerbach but that did happen several years ago. You can, of course, insist that Lindsay get the job. You do have the majority share.”

“That is absolutely what I do NOT want to do. I would like you to consider Lindsay but I won’t insist that you do. I will not second guess whatever decision you make. I told you this would be your decision to make and I stand by that.”

“None of us are perfect, I will be happy to meet with Lindsay but I will address my ethics concerns and see what she has to say.”

Justin smiled. “I appreciate it. The move back plans are not finalized so I will give you a call when I know if we need to set up the interview.”

The partners discussed a few items about the remodel that would be starting soon. Sidney let Justin know that he might be interested in renting one of the remodeled apartments on the second floor. Sidney also let Justin know that he and his son’s family would be at the July 4th barbeque but his daughter and family had other plans.

They shook hands and a relieved Justin left. Justin was pleased with how the meeting turned out, Sidney was very understanding about the Lindsay situation.

Justin parked in the Kinnetik garage and went upstairs to Brian’s office. Carole gave him a welcoming smile. “Brian is meeting with Hal and Patti from HR, there is some problem in the art department.”

Justin nodded and went into Brian’s office. Everyone’s attention turned towards him. Brian smiled, Patti nodded a greeting and Hal spoke. “Excuse us, we are having a confidential meeting in here.”

Brian’s smile disappeared in an instant. “Come in Justin and sit down. Patti has had visits from some art department employees.”

Hal turned to Patti. “I would like to keep this meeting confidential, don’t I have the right to ask for that?”

Patti’s eyes widened on surprise. “Hal, Justin is a part owner of Kinnetik. That gives him the right to attend any meeting in this building.”

Justin gave Brian a look that said let it go but he could tell that Brian was inches from firing Hal on the spot. Justin pulled up a chair and sat beside Patti who brought the meeting back on track.

“Justin the reason we are having this meeting is that members of the art department have come to me saying they wish that more of a team spirit would be encouraged. They feel like there would be an advantage to working together and sharing ideas.”

Hal bristled. “I believe that these comments came from just a few of my employees. The ring leader is no doubt Jason. He thinks of himself as Justin’s pet. I know this won’t be a popular thing to say but I think that with or without Justin’s knowledge some of the employees are trying to force me out so that Justin can be the new art director.”

Brian laughed. “Hal, somehow you keep forgetting that Justin is an owner of Kinnetik. If Justin wanted to be art director he would just have to say so and you would be out the door.”

Patti shook her head. “Hal we are satisfied with the job you are doing but there is always room for improvement. Several members of the art department staff have come to me. This is not a case of sour grapes from one or two people.”

Justin turned to Hal. “You know Hal I think it would be a good idea to set up kind of a mentoring program for the art staff. You don’t use the graphics program enough to be expert with it, that’s not your job. The experienced people who use it all the time know all the bells & whistles, tricks and shortcuts. I think it would be a good idea for them to share that knowledge. Jason is actually more Brian’s pet than mine. Brian is the one who requests Jason to work on his projects.That is because Jason seems to understand Brian’s vision, it makes sense to have him work with someone else and show them what Brian likes. That way if Jason ever leaves us we have some other people ready to step up.”

Hal sat with a sullen look on his face. Brian started to say something but Justin shook his head.

Patti finally spoke. “So Hal what do you think about setting up a mentoring program in the art department. That is something you and I could work on together.”

“I suppose it is worth a try if that’s what everyone wants.”

Brian did finally speak. “What everyone wants is a creative, knowledgeable, happy staff in the art department. You were hired for your organizational and management skills not your artistic skills which you told me in your interview were not your strength.”

Hal nodded. “I just want to know that I have your support.”

Brian looked straight at him. “You have my support as long as the art department continues to run smoothly. Patti, I’d like an update from you on when the mentoring program starts. In three months I want to have a meeting with the whole art department to see what they think about the whole mentoring thing. Justin I’d like you to sit in on that meeting as well.”

Hal stood up and left the room. Patti sighed. “He is so touchy. One of the people who came to see me was Leon, whose parents are friends of Hal’s. Leon felt he was not going to be successful unless he had more of a chance to work with the more experienced people in the art department. Hal is so sure Jason came to see but he never did, it’s the newer employees who have issues with Hal’s management style.”

Brian looked disgusted. “He’s a homophobic whiner but he does keep the department running smoothly for the most part. If you run across some hot prospect to replace him let me know.”

Patti got up, shook Brian & Justin’s hands and headed back to her office.

Justin came around and sat on Brian’s lap. “So big guy, I guess this was a warm up for our next meeting.” Brian just shook his head and gave Justin a kiss.

Justin smiled and looked into Brian’s eyes. “I feel sorry for Hal.”

“For fuck sakes Sunshine why would you feel sorry for him!”

“He’s so insecure. He keeps seeing conspiracies and thinks people are plotting against him. If he would just do his job everyone would be happier.”

Brian nodded his head.

***********************************************************************************

When Hal got back to the art department he called Leon into his office.

“Leon I am going to ask for your help. Some of the staff have been talking to Human Resources they are trying to get me fired. I’m sure Jason is behind this. I suspect he is working with Justin. I need to know what people are saying about me”

Leon looked uncomfortable. “Uncle Hal, I’m sure that Jason did not talk to HR. He doesn’t need help, it’s the new guys who are looking for some help.”

“Have you spoken to HR?”

“Yes Uncle Hal. We didn’t say anything really bad about you but you insist we only talk with you and only come to you with our questions. The thing is you don’t understand the graphics program as well as the more experienced guys who use it all the time. We can’t learn all the system capabilities if we only work with you.”

Hal sat back in his chair. “I was so sure this was Jason and Justin trying to make me look bad.”

“Uncle Hal, Jason says that Justin would have to be crazy to want to be art director here. Now he has the freedom to paint all day and they just bought controlling interest in an art gallery. Why would Justin want to tie himself down to a 9 to 5 job at Kinnetik?”

“Thanks Leon for being honest with me. Patti and I are going to work on a mentor program for the department.”

************************************************************************************

Lindsay and Melanie walked into the Kinnetik lobby at 11:45. Brian’s office door was open and as they entered the office Carole emailed Ted to give him the OK to transfer the $5K to Canada.

Brian looked up from his computer. “Hello ladies. Here is a menu from the diner. Pick out what you would like for lunch. Justin should be here shortly. He’s going over some remodeling numbers for the Bloom building with Ted.”

Lindsay’s facial expression revealed how little she wanted to be here. “Is it really necessary to have Justin included in this discussion. I don’t see how it really concerns him.”

Brian smiled. “Justin and I are partners. Everything that concerns me, concerns him. All you need to know is that I want him involved.”

Justin appeared, lunch was ordered and the four of them went into Brian’s private conference room.

Once they were seated Melanie spoke first. “Was the money transferred to our account?”

Brian nodded. “Yes, it was sent as soon as you entered the office. I am curious about your plans for your financial future. It seems to me that your Canadian adventure has not been a success, so I wonder if it is time to call an end to it.”

Lindsay spoke up. “I resent that you feel you can question us about out private life. We are having some financial issues but we are still adults who are capable of making our own decisions!”

Brian leaned back in his chair and laughed. It was not a pleasant laugh. “Capable of making decisions? Adults? I saw my son sobbing in Justin’s arms yesterday because the two of you “adults” have been having screaming matches and frightening him. That is very adult of you! Gus is worried about having to sleep on the sidewalk because he heard Melanie say that you will all be on the street soon. Excellent decision to let your children hear that statement.

What I suggest is that you get off your high horse and the four of us decide how we help you and Melanie climb out of the shit hole you have dug yourself in to.”

Melanie looked stricken. “I am so sorry that Gus overheard that, we should have been more careful when we argued. It has just been such a hard time for us. The problem is that I agree with you that the move to Canada has not gone as well as I hoped. However, at this point, we can’t afford to move back here.”

Justin entered the discussion. “It appears to us that you can’t afford to stay there either. That is why Brian is asking if you have a plan. We don’t think it is fair, or practical, to expect us to finance your household in Toronto indefinitely.”

Melanie shrugged. “Obviously whatever our plans have been they have not worked out as we hoped.”

Justin had a few questions. “So if you came back to Pittsburgh what is the status of your ability to practice law and is moving back something you two are considering?”

Melanie looked at Lindsay who was staring at the tabletop. “I have not kept up with continuing education to keep my law license active. I would have to take a couple of continuing Ed classes and pass those before I could practice law again. That would take a couple months at least and cost a few thousand dollars. We are certainly open to the idea of moving back.”

Brian stared at Lindsay across the table. “Lindsay apparently you don’t want to be any part of this discussion. I am curious about what your solution is to your current financial situation and how you plan to move forward.”

“I think this whole meeting is a farce. You can easily afford to help us out but for some reason we have to sit here and talk about the mistakes Melanie and I have made in the past. I think this is just your way of putting us on the defensive so you can force the issue of Gus’s custody. You have plenty of money to buy Justin an art gallery but won’t help one of your long term friends, the mother of your son.”

Justin looked quickly at Brian to see if his head would actually explode. Melanie’s mouth dropped open, she and Lindsay had been arguing about Lindsay’s expectations about Brian’s support all weekend.

“Lindsay first I would like to inform you that the funds to buy our controlling interest of the Bloom Gallery came from Tay-Kin Art. So that money came 100% from Justin’s art work. Second I want to point out that I have voluntarily contributed support money to you for Gus. No one just gives money to Justin and me for no reason. We earn every penny from hard work. Therefore I’m not sure why you think we should give you money just because we have been friends for a long time. As a friend I am trying to help you and Melanie but I am not prepared to pay you for your friendship.”

Lindsay looked shocked, Melanie looked embarrassed and Justin grabbed Brian’s hand under the table and squeezed it. Carole, not knowing what good timing she had, knocked on the door and delivered lunch.

The four of them picked at their salads and drank water until Justin spoke.

“Naturally Brian and I have been discussing what we could do to help. I am going to tell you what we think might work. These are not demands or ultimatums, just suggestions. Hopefully we can build on these suggestions and move forward to a solution.”

Lindsay and Melanie both nodded and Brian gave him a smile.

“First suggestion is that you move back to Pittsburgh and your support system. Second, is that you move into the loft. We can have some temporary walls put up to make small bedrooms for Gus and JR. That will give you basically no living expenses. We won’t charge rent and we’ll still pay the utilities. Third, we will loan you the money for moving costs and for Melanie’s classes to reinstate her law license. When your financial situation improves we expect that loan to be repaid.

Fourth, Sidney is interviewing for a gallery manager and he is willing to talk to Lindsay about the position. It is Sidney’s decision so it’s not a done deal. Fifth, once you get back on your feet financially and repaid your debts, Brian and I will hold a mortgage for you so you can buy a house.”

Lindsay looked at Brian who met her gaze without expression. “The loft! We would have no privacy there. You can’t just dictate to us what we have to do.”

Melanie placed her hand in Lindsay’s arm. “Linds you have to relax. Justin started out by saying these were suggestions. They are actually very generous suggestions and I appreciate them. It’s time for us to be honest.”

Lindsay looked panicked. Melanie smiled at her and finally Lindsay spoke. “I had a little gambling problem and that is how we got in so much trouble. I went with some other teachers to one of the casinos one afternoon for lunch. I played a little blackjack and I won quite a bit of money. In the beginning I won more than I lost. I told Melanie I was doing some tutoring which explained the time away and the extra cash. Then, of course, I started to lose more than win and kept trying to get ahead. The more money I lost, the more I gambled eventually there was just no more money. I told Mel and we’ve made our peace but there were quite a few loud discussions that Gus overheard.”

Brian shrugged. “None of us is perfect. Did you learn your lesson?”

“I’m going to Gamblers’ Anonymous. That was Mel’s condition for moving forward.”

Melanie took Lindsay hand. “I need to pay more attention to our finances and we are working on communicating better. I am actually okay with your suggestions but I do have some questions. I don’t think the furniture in the loft is very kid friendly and I don’t want to see it ruined. How long can we stay there rent free?”

Justin answered. “We plan on moving out furniture out. All your furniture probably won’t fit in the loft so we will rent a storage cubicle for you. When possible you guys should start paying the storage fee but the loft doesn’t really cost us anything. The other units in the building more than carry the monthly expenses. We rarely use it anymore so you can stay there as long as you need to get yourselves back on good financial footings.”

Brian spoke up. “Now I’d like to discuss Gus’s visitation schedule. I want him one weekend a month. Four weeks during the summer, either together or spread out which ever makes the most sense for everyone’s schedules. If we don’t spend holiday together I want Gus for holidays every other year.”

Lindsay and Mel looked at each other and asked for some time alone to discuss it. Brian and Justin went into Brian’s office to give the girls some privacy.

Brian paced the floor. “If it wasn’t for Gus I wouldn’t care if I ever saw Lindsay again.”

Justin was surprised. “Brian, she’s not the first person who got into trouble with gambling. Neither of us is perfect. I’m surprised you feel that way.”

“I don’t give a fuck about the gambling. It’s her jealousy of you and her expecting me to just give her money to solve her problems. Is that friendship?”

“Brian it’s just a tough time for everyone. I’m sure she’ll feel differently once things settle down.”

Brian shook his head. “I’ll never feel the same about her. I feel like she is showing her true colors.”

Melanie knocked on the door and let them know they could come back to the conference room. They wrote down the basics of the visitation agreement which the girls and Brian signed until a formal agreement could be drawn up by Brian’s attorney. Justin set up a Friday interview for Lindsay with Sidney. The meeting ended on a much more positive note than it began.

Since the girls were heading back to the house and Brian still had some work to finish, Justin rode back with Lindsay & Melanie.

Conversation, which dealt mainly with moving back to Pittsburgh, was remarkably easy. Justin did get the sense that Melanie was genuinely grateful for their help while Lindsay still felt disappointed that Brian was not more forthcoming with cash.