Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

you might have already read this Chapter.  Lost a few in the transfer to new website so reporsting the lost chapters.

Sickness & Health, Good Times & Bad

Post 513, Justin spent 18 months in NYC.Justin & Brian’s relationship remained intact during the NYC sojourn. I do not own the characters just the situations.

Chapter 22

Brian knew he was in serious trouble with his partner. Since there were other people in the room Justin wasn’t saying anything but the silence spoke volumes to Brian.

“I guess I’ll go to the study and get some work done.”

Justin response was to glance in the opposite direction. “uh huh”

Alice gave Brian a sympathetic smile as he left the kitchen area. John & Peter decided to change in swimsuits and go out to the pool.

Justin went upstairs to check on the painters’ progress before heading to his studio.

Charlie smiled over at Alice. “Wow someone is seriously in the dog house.”

Alice chuckled. “I’d be willing to bet Brian won’t stay there long. He’ll find a way to get back in Justin’s good graces.”

In the studio Justin was measuring out his canvas for the second PPG mural. He was almost finished the first mural so he needed to get this second canvas layout marked off. He could hear John & Peter laughing and splashing in the pool.

Deciding his artwork could wait he went to his room to change and went out to the pool. He challenged the winner of the nephews’ pool volleyball game and lost in a close match with John.

Afterwards the three of them were sitting on the side of the pool. Peter nudged his brother.

John turned to Justin. “You know Uncle Justin we knew that Uncle Brian was joking about what Dr Austen said.”

“I didn’t think it was something that should be joked about. I want you guys to know that we are on your side.”

Peter spoke up. “We really do understand that. It just seems like that is such an Uncle Brian thing to joke about important stuff. He is more comfortable not getting into deep discussions of stuff.”

Justin chuckled. “Well you do have your Uncle Brian figured out but I still think he was wrong.”

Peter nodded. “It was inappropriate but we think you were kind of overly harsh. Uncle Brian looked really upset when you pulled away from him.”

Justin was amazed that John & Peter noticed his interplay with Brian. He also thought it was sweet that they were worried that he and Brian were on the outs.

“Well if you guys are ok with what he said; I guess I’ll go let Brian know he is no longer in trouble.”

Leaving the nephews laughing he headed into the house and down the hall to the study. He gave the door a quick knock and went inside.

Brian looked up and got a quick smile on his face which disappeared when he remembered Justin was annoyed with him.

“Hey Sunshine.”

“The nephews thought I should come in and talk with you.”

“Okay but you have to know I just meant what I said as a joke…”

“Brian, can you just listen to me for a few minutes?” Brian nodded.

“I thought your remark was inappropriate and was worried that it would upset John and Peter. As it turns out they knew you were joking and they think that I was, and I quote, “Overly harsh”. So I guess I overreacted.”

Brian got a huge smile on his face. Not only was he no longer in trouble with his partner but he didn’t even have to apologize. Life didn’t get much better than this!

He got up from his chair, gabbed Justin in a bear hug and kissed him. Justin eagerly returned the kiss and then rested his head against Brian chest.

“You know I love you Brian and I will always be ready to support you. I just really want John and Peter to feel secure, I think they deserve that.”

“I know Sunshine and you can feel free to call me on inappropriate words and actions but I did hate it when you pulled away from me.”

Justin smiled. “That is because you soooooooo adore me!”

Brian laughed but he also knew that was true and he suspected that Justin also knew it was true.

Justin left Brian working in the study and went back to his studio.

Late in the afternoon the bedroom painting was completed. Justin and the nephews inspected the finished rooms. John tried to act cool but Peter was completely delighted with his new room colors.

Justin promised to start painting clouds on the blue ceiling over the weekend. He had rented a painters board that provided an elevated painting platform resting on stepladders at each end.

That night Peter did not think that their stay in the “Sorority House” was as fun an adventure as they originally thought. He found the third floor “kind of spooky” especially with that attic door that lead to who knows what. John agreed they could share one room instead of separate rooms.

Jennifer arrived the next morning at 10:30 to pick up John & Peter for the 11 o’clock showing of the movie. He gave Justin a quick kiss on the cheek and told him that they would be back around 4 PM and winked.

Justin went back to the kitchen where he had left Brian having a second cup of coffee. The kitchen was empty. Justin glanced outside and saw Brian slipping off his shorts and stepping into the hot tub. He glanced over at Justin with a big smile and waved.

Justin pulled off his T shirt and dropped his shorts onto the kitchen floor before heading out to the hot tub. Brian dick was already hard so Justin wasted no time in settling himself down into Brian lap and tightened his butt muscles around his lover’s cock while he and Brian tongue wrestled before Justin started moving up and down.

Four orgasms later, two for each of them, Brian and Justin sat quietly in the hot tub. Justin’s head resting on Brian’s shoulder and Brian’s arm holding his partner close to him.

“God Brian! That was the hottest sex we’ve had in a long time.”

“Sunshine, all our sex is really hot but today was exceptional.”

Once Justin’s fingers started to prune up he decided to start his cloud painting. Brian went to the study to check his emails. Once he finished with his emails Brian went upstairs to offer suggestions to an increasingly annoyed Justin.

Eventually Justin climbed down from the painter’s board, yanked down Brian’s shorts and gave him a quick blowjob before announcing it was time for lunch.

After lunch Brian was informed in no uncertain terms that Peter’s bedroom was off limits to him for the rest of the afternoon. Brian decided to relax on one of the floating chairs in the pool and read while Justin went back to cloud painting.

When Jennifer returned with John & Peter, Brian & Justin were relaxing by the pool drinking beer.

Since Jennifer and the boys were all smiling it appeared that the day had been a success. Each boy carried a bag; John had his soccer supplies and Peter had a digital camera and a binder with inserts for photos and printed materials.

Justin came over to give his mother a kiss. “Looks like you all survived your outing.”

Jennifer eyes narrowed slightly. “Honey I survived you coming out. Compared to that today was a walk in the park.”

Justin smiled and gave his mother a hug. “I love you mommy!”

Peter and John weren’t quite sure what to make of this exchange until Jennifer started to laugh.

Brian turned in his chair. “Mother Taylor. We are grilling some steaks for dinner and there are plenty of them. Would you do us the honor of joining us?”

“Brian that sounds delightful. I accept.”

Brian grinned. “Would you like to see if Tucker would like to join us as well?”

“Thanks but Tucker is away fishing this weekend with his brother and his nephews. So it will just me much to my son’s relief I’m sure.”

“Mom I told you I’m fine with Tucker.”

“Than just why did your whole body tense up when Brian mentioned inviting Tucker to join us for dinner?”

Justin looked embarrassed. “Want to see the new paint job in the boys’ rooms?”

Jennifer laughed. “Nice change of conversation sweetheart. I’d love to see the bedrooms. Lead on.”

Brian stayed behind to get the charcoal started while the rest of the group went upstairs.

They went first to John’s room. Jennifer had heard about the color choices and was surprised that it looked better in person then she thought it would.

She wasn’t as accepting of the furnishings. “Where did this bedroom furniture come from?”

Justin looked a little chagrinned. “It came with the house.It has a new mattress.”

John spoke up. “It really is fine for me. I don’t mind it at all.”

Jennifer shook her head. “It’s horrible and it doesn’t go with the paint colors at all. What you need to do is paint it white, a really glossy white. The white headboard and bedside tables will really pop against that black wall. Then we’ll get a couple of red lamps for some color.”

Justin smiled. “I guess that is doable. John can help.”

Jennifer continued looking around. “This chair is screaming for a trip to the Salvation Army. John also needs some shelves and a desk. I just redid my home office and we ordered the furniture online. They have lots of color choices and styles. Tucker and I assembled it. I think we should stick to white in here. What kind of chair do you think you’d like John?”

“I know it is kind of strange but I really like those chairs on the patio with the slanty backs? I think the name starts with an “A”.”

Jennifer nodded. “Adirondack chair. We can go to Pier One and get a white one of those and a red cushion. That would go great in here.”

John glanced over at Justin to try and see what he thought about all the new purchases. “I don’t know Grandmom Jen. That seems like a lot of new stuff to buy.”

“Oh don’t worry about that. Your uncles can afford it.”

Justin just laughed. He knew it would do no good to argue with his mother and the truth was they could afford it.

They moved to Peter’s room. As soon as they went into the room Peter got a huge smile on his face.

“Uncle Justin! You started painting my clouds. They look awesome. Thank you so much!”

He came over and gave Justin a hug but kept his eyes on the ceiling.

“I did as much as I could today until my neck got tired from looking up all the time.”

Jennifer smiled at how pleased Peter was. “They look beautiful honey. This maple bedroom set is really nice. Much better than the furniture in the other room. Another horrible chair though. What kind of chair do you want Peter.”

“I had a friend who had a chair in his room that had a wood frame with a cushion but it was kind of almost like a nest.”

Jennifer nodded. “Sounds like a Papasan chair. We can get one of those at Pier One when we buy John’s chair. You need a bookcase and desk same as John. I think they have a sky blue color that would look good in here. We can order the furniture and get it delivered her. Tucker and I did a good job assembling it at my house so we’ll come here and get it put together after it gets delivered.”

They went downstairs together but Jennifer and the nephews headed to the study. In a short time they had located a couple red lamps that Jennifer loved and the assembly required furniture.

Jennifer strolled out to the patio. “Brian I need your credit card to order some things for the boys’ bedrooms.”

Justin was setting the table. “How much is it all going to cost.”

“No one is talking to you honey. Brian I have it all pulled up on the study PC. I just need your credit card.”

Brian had no intention of asking any questions which Jennifer knew. He came down to the study and opened a drawer and handed Jennifer a credit card before heading back to his grilling duties.

When Jennifer and the boy got back outside; she informed Brian what he needed to buy for painting John’s bedroom furniture. She said that since Justin was busy painting clouds it was up to Brian to help John paint his furniture.

A chuckling Justin went into the kitchen to get the pasta salad for dinner. Jennifer followed him while John & Peter went over to observe Brian’s grilling technique.

“Justin I’m sure the boys will tell you this but I wanted to give you a heads up. Claire called both the boys’ cell phones while we were in the movie and left several messages. She called again while we were at lunch and she wants them to visit her tomorrow.

I know a little bit about Brian’s family life from Debbie. I don’t think he should take the boys over to his mother’s to see Claire. I have an Open House to sit at tomorrow but I could take them for the visit after that.”

Justin walked over and hugged his mother. “Mom you really are the best; even if you just cost us a small fortune.”

“I just don’t want to see Brian hurt any more by that horrible woman.”

Justin cleared his throat to clear the lump there. “I love you Mom. Don’t worry I won’t let Brian take the boys. I’ll take them for the visit.”

Jennifer started to object but Justin stopped her. “Mom, Joan can push Brian’s buttons but believe me when I tell you that I can push hers and really enjoy doing it.”

Jennifer smiled and together they went back outside.

Over dinner John brought up the topic of the proposed visit.

Brian was furious. “That is NOT going to happen!”

Justin put his hand over Brian’s. “I think we should go along with this request. The boys need to see Claire and we don’t want to be the ones who seem uncooperative.”

“Claire can come here to see John and Peter.”

“Brian this first visit can be handled better by going to Joan’s. That way the boys and I can leave whenever we want.”

“Sunshine you are not going to Joan’s house. I agree it might be better to go there but I’ll take them. I am not going to let Joan vent her homophobia on you.”

“Brian, your mother always finds a way to push your buttons. My very existence pushes buttons for her. Me in control of the visit will drive her crazy and if she gets too out of control we are out of there.”

John spoke up. “Peter and I won’t let grandmother give Uncle Justin a hard time. If he says leave we are all out of there. Uncle Justin is right about grandmother, she will hate that he is the one to take us there.”

Brian was not totally happy with the plan but reluctantly agreed, especially when Jennifer went along with the plan.

Brian and John would go to Home Depot in the morning to get the supplies for the furniture painting. They would do the prime coat and then after lunch Justin and the boys would go to Joan’s house.

John called his mother and told her they would visit her after lunch.

After dinner Jennifer headed home after hugs and kisses all around. John and Peter were pretty blown away by “Grandmom Jen”. They really enjoyed spending time with her and she seemed to genuinely be interested in them.

******************************************************************************

The next afternoon Justin parked the SUV in front of Joan’s house. It had been a quiet ride to the city. John and Peter were clearly apprehensive about this visit.
Justin put his arms around the boys’ waists as they walked up to Joan’s house. He was amazed when John did not pull away.

Justin gave them a big insincere smile and rang the doorbell. Joan Kinney came to the door and frowned when she saw Justin standing there.

“I thought Brian would bring my grandsons to visit their mother.”

“Hello Mrs Kinney. Brian had better things to do so I brought the boys. Can we come in?”

Joan continued to stand in the doorway. “There is no need for you to stay. If you leave your phone number I can call you when John and Peter are ready to leave.”

“As you know Family Services are allowing only supervised visits. So it is all three of us or none of us.”

Joan flushed with annoyance. “Surely I am a suitable person to supervise a visit between my grandsons and my daughter. This is a family matter and does not concern you at all.”

“Actually this is more a Family Services matter than a family matter. You are actually not a suitable person and in case you didn’t understand the first time I told you the rules. It is either all three of us or none of us. Your choice.”

John actually gave a quick laugh at the extremely annoyed expression on his grandmother’s face which earned him a stern look from Joan.

“John just what do you think is so funny.”

“Well grandmother I think it is kind of amusing that you are trying to argue about this with Uncle Justin. He has told you a couple times that it is either all three of us or none of us. Not sure what is so hard to understand.”

“I do not appreciate that flippant answer from you John. You need to be more respectful.”

Justin intervened. “You need to back off Mrs Kinney. You asked a question and John gave you an answer. It is not your place to correct John’s behavior. I would like to point out that respect is something that is earned not given.”

Joan didn’t reply but she stepped back to allow them to enter her house.

Claire was standing just inside the living room and had obviously heard the exchange at the front door. She ignored Justin and grabbed John and then Peter to give them a hug and kiss.

Justin settled into a chair and took an art magazine out of his messenger bag. John and Peter sat on the couch.

Claire looked over at Justin. “Do you actually plan to sit there for this whole visit?”

“Yes” “Well it could take a while. Mother and I thought my sons might even want to stay for dinner.”

Justin looked up from his magazine. “Brian expects us home in time for dinner. So don’t worry about that.”

“Well suppose John and Peter prefer to stay here for dinner?”

John spoke up. “We won’t.”

Claire launched into a monolog about how much she had missed John & Peter and how horrible the rehab had been and generally how sad her life had become. John just stared at her with his no emotion face and Peter seemed genuinely confused by his mother’s selfish ranting.

Without any feedback or encouragement Claire wound down.

“I wasn’t sure I would be able get in touch with you yesterday. I left you each some messages but you never called me back.”

Peter glanced at his brother who just continued to stare at his mother. “We were at a movie when you called. Grandmom Jen took us to the movies and out to lunch. You got John on his phone while we are at lunch.”

Joan sat forward in her chair. “Who is Grandmom Jen? As far as I know I am your only grandmother.”

“Grandmom Jen is Uncle Justin’s mother. She is really nice.”

Now Claire got into the conversation. “Why would you call her that?”

Peter started to feel a little flustered and unwilling to take on both his mother & grandmother. John now decided to get involved.

“That is what Gus calls her. She said that since Gus will be here for a visit in a couple weeks she thought it would be less confusing for him if we called her the same thing. It was a little awkward at first but she was so much fun yesterday and seemed so interested in getting to know us that by the end of the day the name really started to come naturally.”

Peter was emboldened by his brother’s comments. “When we got home she came up to see our bedrooms with the new paint. She decided that John’s furniture needed to be painted and that we needed new chairs, bookcases and desks. We found them on line and Grandmom Jen made Uncle Brian give us his credit card. When the bookcases and desks get delivered she and her boyfriend, Tucker, are going to come and put them together for us.”

Joan stood up. “Claire help me in the kitchen. The boys would probably like some iced tea and cookies.”

When their mother and grandmother left the room; John & Peter looked over at Justin. He looked up from his magazine and shrugged. “I have no idea what’s going on.”

A few minutes later Joan and Claire returned each carrying 2 glasses of iced tea and a box of store brand chocolate chip cookies. Claire handed a glass to John and the other to Peter then took one from her mother and sat down.

Joan sat in her chair and put the glass on the table beside her. “Boys your mother and I are concerned about all these faux relatives you seem to be acquiring. By the time Brian’s son visits you will probably be back living with your mother. Redecorating your rooms for such a short stay seems like a waste of time and money.”

John and Peter looked a little panicked as Justin put down his magazine and turned towards their Grandmother.

“Mrs Kinney first let me say that I did bring my own bottle of water so no need to worry about rudely not offering me a cold drink.”

Peter spoke up. “Uncle Justin you can have this glass of iced tea. John and I can share.”

“No thanks buddy I really don’t want any but really felt I couldn’t let such bad behavior pass without comment. Mrs Kinney I am curious why you think Claire can resume custody so quickly. Our understanding from Family Services is that Claire needs to find a job, save some money and have a suitable place to live before she can regain custody.”

Joan had stood up. “Now that my daughter is back home, of course her sons must come back and live with her. It is urgent that they come back to a good Christian home before they are permanently scarred by living with you and my son.”

“Again, our understanding from Family Services is that this house would not be acceptable to them. That is not even taking into account that you are an alcoholic and we have no proof that Claire is off drugs for good. I’m also not sure that your finances can support a four person household especially if Brain and I stop giving you money every month.”

“That money come from my son, it has nothing to do with you young man!”

“That money comes from our JOINT account so it is given to you by both of us. We have no intention of abandoning John and Peter. Brian and I are determined to make sure that they never again have to suffer the neglect they were subject to in the past year.”

Joan’s face was beet red and she started to tremble a little. “I will insure that whatever failings my daughter has as a mother will be corrected while she is living here.”

Justin laughed. “You are going to give mothering lessons? That is absurd, how in the world would you know anything about being a good mother or even an adequate grandmother. You and Claire seem quite upset that the boys call my mother Grandmom Jen but tell me,Joan, when was the last time you took your grandsons to a movie or lunch? Or for that matter when was the last time you showed any interest in their lives and what they were doing?”

“I want you to leave my house!"

“Happily. Come on boys.”

John & Peter hurriedly got to their feet. Claire started to cry.

“John, Peter you don’t have to leave. You can stay here, we’ll fight Family Services for keeping us apart.”

John looked over at his mother. “The only fight that Peter and I are interested in is the fight to stay with Uncle Brian and Uncle Justin. We certainly don’t want to live here! We also don’t want to be hungry and ignored again or never have any money.”

Claire continued to cry as her sons followed Justin out of the house.

Joan turned to her. “For heaven’s sake Claire pull yourself together. I can’t stand to hear all that caterwauling.”

Joan took her iced tea out to the kitchen, poured it down the drain and filled her glass with vodka. When she got back to the living room Claire had fled upstairs to her bedroom.