Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Sickness & Health, Good Times & Bad

Chapter 11

Debbie and Carl were just finishing dinner on Wednesday night when Michael came in the front door carrying a suitcase. Debbie went into the Living Room and was surprised to see her son. “Michael what are you doing here and what’s with the suitcase?”

“Ben and I have been arguing for days. I thought it might be a good idea to spend some time apart so I thought I’d stay here.” Debbie gave her son a stern look and Michael quickly looked away. “Okay so Ben suggested we needed to take a break.”

“What are you two arguing about?” Michael frowned but knew his mother would give him no peace until he confided in her. “Well at our barbeque on Monday two of Ben’s friends misunderstood something I told them about Justin. They went over to talk to him and the little twink blew the whole thing out of proportion and Ben’s friends got embarrassed. Ben blames me and Brian won’t take my calls or answer my emails.”

Carl came in from the kitchen after loading the dishwasher. “Michael I find it a little unbelievable that Justin blew something out of proportion and embarrassed people he had just met. That really doesn’t sound like something he would do.”

“Not that this is any of your business but I don’t understand why everything thinks that Justin can do no wrong. He is nothing but a sneaky little twink that has somehow wormed his way into Brian’s life.”

Debbie smacked her son on the side of his head. “Listen you little shit! EVERTHING that happens in MY house is Carl’s business. You have to get over this silly jealousy of Justin; you are just hurting yourself.”

Michael picked up his suitcase and started up the stairs. “I’m really tired. I am going to bed.”

Debbie looked over at Carl who shrugged and shook his head. He sat in his recliner and turned on the TV. Debbie thought about calling Ben to get his side of the story but decided she needed to stay out of this conflict.

When Brian got into the office on Thursday morning he called Ted to come to his office. Ted arrived quickly. Brian motioned for him to sit in a chair by his desk.

“Ted, I know Justin is coming in later this morning to talk about the Bloom Gallery. I want you to understand that whatever Justin wants to do we, meaning you, have to find a way to make that happen. You can’t touch Gus’s trust fund and no mortgages on the house but everything else is on the table. There is no need for you to share with Justin how the deal will be financed.”

Ted frowned. “Brian, you know Justin is not stupid and he wants to do this on his own.”

“Theodore I am well aware that Justin is far from an idiot but he depends on you for financial advice. Therefore you WILL make sure the financing is available.”

Ted couldn’t stop a quick chuckle but it died quickly on his lips at the “Brian look” coming his way. “Brian from what my research has shown we should have no trouble accomplishing what Justin wants to do without any extraordinary measures.”

“Theodore you can go. Be glad you are not packing up your desk, I expect my CFO to be upfront with me at all times.”

Ted left the office with a smile on his face. He found Brian and Justin pretty interesting to observe. Both men tried very hard to make sure their partner was protected and were often at cross purposes without realizing it. Ted thought life might be easier if they were just honest with each other but that did not appear to be their style.

When Justin arrived later, the three men met in a conference room. Ted handed out packets of information to Justin & Brian. “The figures that I have here are really preliminary. I need to see Profit & Loss statements for the gallery before we come up with hard numbers. I believe the amounts I am suggesting here are on the high side. I couldn’t find any building permits for the gallery building so I believe it will need a complete overhaul. It is in a great location, has three 2 bedroom apartments on the second floor and 12 parking spots behind the building. I have also included an estimated value for the building.”

Brian and Justin were looking through the information packet as Ted talked. He had done his usual excellent job in providing all the relevant facts.

Ted continued. “My suggestion would be to have KT Properties buy the real estate outright. Of course we need Jennifer and her contractor to go through the building and let us know what it is going to take to get the building in shape. Tay-Kin Art can acquire 60% of the gallery business. We will have to use some of that line of credit but between the PPG murals and Justin’s San Francisco show in August we should be able to get that paid down pretty quickly.”

Brian and Justin had a few questions before deciding that Justin should approach Sidney Bloom and see if he was interested in pursuing the sale. Justin called Sidney, who was available for lunch.

Justin was sitting at a table when Sidney came into the restaurant. “Justin, this is a nice treat, I hardly ever go out for lunch. Thanks for the invitation.”

Once greetings were out of the way, they ordered lunch and each sipped a glass of wine. “Sidney I have a proposal to make to you. I’m not sure if it something you would even consider but there’s no way to find out except to dive right in.”

Sidney sat back in his chair and smiled. “I wasn’t sure I dropped enough hints last week but now I am hoping I did.”

Justin smiled back at him. “I had no idea I was so easy to play. I am interested in buying a controlling interest in the gallery. I would very much like you to stay involved. I met with my accountant this morning and he recommends us buying the building outright. Of course we need some information from your accountant but I’m prepared to make an offer on 60% of the gallery business.”

“I would like to stay involved in the gallery, without having to worry about the business end of things. I’m afraid the building has been somewhat neglected. Only one of the apartments is rented and that is on a month to month lease. I’m not selling because I need the money, I just felt you would keep the gallery open and vital. After all the years Norma and I put into the gallery I would hate to see it close. My children have no interest in the business, although they do own 10%. I know that you will revitalize the business and am looking forward to being part of that.”

Justin took Sidney’s hand. “I believe that we will do great things for the art scene in Pittsburgh together and we’ll have some fun doing it.”

Justin and Sidney chatted over lunch about plans for the gallery, what information Sidney’s accountant needed to send to Ted and when Jennifer and her contractor could tour the building. By the time lunch was over all the necessary plans had been made.

Later that afternoon Claire Kinney’s sons, John & Peter Townsend, got off the school bus. That morning for breakfast they each had a slice of toast with the last of the jelly and a small glass of orange juice.

John has used the last 4 slices of bread to make peanut butter sandwiches for their school lunches. The scrapping from the peanut butter jar had been enough for a thin coating on each sandwich. Last night for dinner John has boiled some elbow macaroni, put in the last can of tuna and some ketchup. Claire and her boyfriend had been out last night and this morning their bedroom door was closed when the boys left for school.

John had left his mother a note asking her to either buy some groceries or leave him some money to buy something for his & Peter’s dinner. As Claire’s drug use increased her interest in her sons’ welfare decreased to a pretty alarming level.

The house was quiet when the boys entered. John went to the kitchen and found his note undisturbed in the counter. Just to be sure he opened the food cupboard which was still empty. Peter has followed him. “Mom didn’t leave any money?”

John shook his head. “It appears the bitch hasn’t even been downstairs, the note is just where I left it. I’m going up to their room and get some money from her or Paul.”

John ran upstairs and opened the door to the bedroom his mother and her boyfriend used. Paul was laying half out of the bed, his head in a puddle of vomit and his lifeless eyes staring at John. John went over to his mother and could see that she was still breathing.

Peter called to him from downstairs. “Stay down there Peter. I’ll be right down.”

His mother’s cell phone was on the night table but when he picked it up and tried to turn it on he realized it needed to be charged.

He shut the bedroom door so Peter would not see inside if he came upstairs. John went downstairs and took his brother’s hand. “Come out to the kitchen. Mom & Paul are sick. I think they ODed. We have to call an ambulance.”

A wide eyed Peter went with his brother to the kitchen phone but there was no dial tone. Apparently the bill hadn’t been paid and the service cut off. A 14 year old John Townsend was trying very hard to keep himself calm. Peter had started to cry.

“Come on Peter. We’ll got next door and use their phone. Everything will be Okay once the ambulance gets here.”

Still holding hands, Peter and John ran next door. John pushed the doorbell and Mrs Kerns answered the door.

Marge Kerns had a little as possible to do with her next door neighbors. Paul Clarke had been a problem ever since he moved in and things had gotten more troublesome since Claire and her sons moved in. Paul and Claire often had screaming matches and lately the boys could be heard loudly complaining to their mother about lack of money, food or something Paul had done or said.

“What do you want boys?” John spoke up. “We need to call an ambulance and our phone doesn’t work.“

Marge opened the door for the boys to come in. “Why do you need an ambulance?” John didn’t want to mention Paul’s death in front of Peter. “My Mom and Paul are sick. I think maybe they took an overdose of drugs. I couldn’t wake them. Paul threw up of the floor.”

Marge’s husband Bill came out of the kitchen, cordless phone in hand. He quickly dialed 911 and explained the situation to the operator.

Tears were running down Peter’s face and now he started to tremble. “John, I think I going to get sick.” Marge Kerns put her arm around his shoulders. “You come with me honey; the powder room is just down the hall.”

Once Peter was out of the room. John turned to Mr Kerns. “Paul is dead. He’s hanging out of bed with his head in a puddle of vomit and his eyes are wide open. My mother is still breathing but it seems really shallow. I didn’t want to say anything in front of Peter. Could he stay here while I go back next door.”

Bill frowned but called to his wife. “Marge, you keep Peter here. John and I are going next door to meet the ambulance.”

They could hear the sirens as soon as they went outside. A police car arrived first and Bill Kerns explained what John had told him. The two policemen went inside and a few moments later an ambulance arrived. The EMT’s hurried inside, Bill & John followed them into the house.

Bill & John waited in the living room until one of the policemen came downstairs. He came over to them. “Can you let me know who you are?”

John spoke first. “I’m John Townsend. My mother is the woman in bed upstairs. The dead man is her boyfriend, Paul Clarke. This house belongs to him. He and my mother take drugs all the time. This morning I left a note asking my mother to leave us some money for food. My brother and I just got off the school bus and when there was no money, I went upstairs and found them.” John was starting to get upset as he realized the seriousness of the situation.

Bill Kerns sat on the couch and pulled John down beside him. “I live next door. I’m Bill Kerns, John & Peter came over to use our phone. I’m the one who called 911. We left Peter next door with my wife. He is really upset.”

The second policeman came downstairs. They asked some questions about how long John had been home, when was the last time he had actually talked with his mother and they let John know that the EMT’s had stabilized Claire and were going to take her to Allegheny General Hospital since the local hospital didn’t have detox facilities.

The police looked around and were pretty shocked by the condition of the house. They asked John if he had any family they could call. He gave them Joan’s phone number but said that his grandmother was pretty old.

The police said they were going to have to contact Family Services to work out where John & Peter could stay. Bill Kerns said the boys could stay next door until someone came for them.

When Bill & John got back next door; Marge had Peter in the kitchen eating a ham sandwich and drinking a glass of milk. She had John sit down while she made him the same thing to eat.

The Pittsburgh Police were notified and they went, with a social worker, to Joan Kinney’s house. An unsteady Joan answered the door and they asked if they could come in. Joan led them to the living room. She sat in her chair. A half full glass and an open bottle of vodka were on the table beside the chair. The police looked at the social worker and nodded toward the table. She had already noticed.

The police explained about Claire’s condition and where she had been taken. Joan seemed strangely unconcerned about her daughter’s situation. The social worker asked her if she would be willing to take custody of John & Peter but Joan told her she was too old and in poor health. She certainly could not cope with two teenage boys.

The social worker asked if there was any other family members who might be able to take care of the boys but Joan told her there was no one else. The social worker said that it looked like the boys would have to go into foster care if there was no one willing to accept custody. Joan again appeared unconcerned and said she understood.

Once they were outside the police looked at the social worker. “Well she is about as cold hearted a bitch as I’ve encountered in a long time.”

“She obviously has a drinking problem so I’m not sure we would even be able to leave the boys with her. I guess I’ll go down to Mt Lebanon and pick them up. Maybe there is a close friend or someone else who could keep them until their mother can take custody again. They’ll have to go into foster care at least temporarily.”

She got the information about John and Peter’s location from the local police. She knocked on the door which was opened by Bill Kerns. “I’m Kathy Sacks from the Department of Welfare.”

Bill led her into the family room where Peter and John sat together on the couch. Kathy introduced herself and told them that she had spoken to their grandmother who was not able to accept custody. She asked them if they had any other family in the area.

John answered. “Our Uncle Brian lives in Pittsburgh. He and my mother don’t get along. My grandmother hates him. He’s gay and lives in a loft near Liberty Avenue. We never see him, he runs an advertising company called Kinnetik.”

Kathy explained that she would take them to a temporary group home and if their uncle wasn’t able to take custody she would find them more permanent housing until their mother got her life back in order and could take custody back. Peter started to cry again but John was able to comfort him. Kathy took them next door to pack their clothes and took them to the group home.

The next morning Kathy checked tax records for Brian Kinney but found no matches for that name in Pittsburgh. She decided to go to Kinnetik and see if she could see Brian there.

Kathy was impressed by the lobby of Kinnetik, she went over to the reception desk. One woman was seated and a very attractive blonde was standing behind her. “Hello. I’m Kathy Sacks from the welfare department. I was hoping I could speak with Brian Kinney.”

The blonde spoke to her. “I’m Cynthia Brown, the office manager. Can I help you with something?”

Kathy shook her head. “I’m afraid not. I need to speak to Mr Kinney about his sister and his nephews. It’s a personal matter.”

“Brian is in a meeting right at the moment. If you have a seat I’ll check and see if I can interrupt him”

Cynthia knew that anything that involved Claire was not a good thing. She went into the conference room where one of the account executives was making a presentation and motioned for Brian to come out in the hall.

Cynthia explained the situation to Brian. “Fucking Claire, I wonder what she is up to now. I wonder if she has convinced one of her devil spawn to accuse me of abusing him again! Bring her up to my office and I’d like you to stay as a witness.”

Cynthia returned to the lobby and brought Kathy to Brian’s office. Brian was standing behind his desk. One guest chair was still in front of the desk but he had moved the other chair to his side of the desk. He greeted Kathy and indicated she take the guest chair in front of his desk.

Cynthia moved to Brian’s side of the desk and picked up the pad and pen Brian had placed on his desk.

Kathy sat in her chair and pulled her own pad and pen out of her briefcase. “Thank you for seeing me Mr Kinney. I am here to discuss a personal matter. I’m not sure that you will want Ms Brown to be here.”

Brian maintained his patented “no emotion” face. “Please call me Brian. Cynthia and I have known each other for years. She is my friend as well as my employee; I have few secrets from her.”

“Okay Brian. Have you spoken with your mother?” Brian did smirk at that. “Luckily I have not spoken to her in quite some time.”

“How about your sister, Claire Kinney, have you spoken to her recently?”

“Yes Claire attempted to get me to give her $25,000 to repair the roof on my mother’s house. I have reason to believe this was some kind of scam that Claire was attempting.”

“Were you aware that your sister and her sons were living with Paul Clarke?”

Brian didn’t bother to hide his annoyance. “My sister and I are not close, in fact we do not like each other and disapprove of the choices each other have made in their lives. I did hear from a couple people that Claire was living with a guy who was known for doing drugs. I refused her request for money and did not ask her anything about her life nor did she volunteer any information. I am a busy man and would like to know just why you are here.”

“I appreciate you seeing me and don’t mean to waste your time. Yesterday your sister and Paul Clarke used some apparently tainted drugs. Mr Clarke died and your sister is in the detox unit at Allegheny General. She is expected to recover. Last night I visited your mother with the Pittsburgh Police. I was hoping she would be able to assume custody for your nephews, John & Peter. Unfortunately she did not feel she could take on that responsibility.”

“You must have visited her too early in the evening before she was completely buzzed. I’m can assure you it was not water she was drinking and if you had gone to the kitchen you would have found a bottle of vodka sitting on the counter.”

“Actually that bottle was on the table beside her chair. Even if Mrs Kinney had agreed to take the boys I’m not sure the department could allow that. The house appeared to be poorly kept and your mother was clearly intoxicated. The boys are the reason I am here today. They are in a temporary group home. If no family member can assume custody they will have to be placed in permanent foster care, until their mother can show she is able to resume custody. Boys of John & Peter’s ages can be difficult to place in foster homes. The boys seem devoted to each other and Peter seems pretty dependent on his brother. I am not at all sure we will be able to keep the boys together in foster homes.”

Brian frowned. “You do know that I’m gay, right?” Kathy smiled. ‘Yes John told me that when I asked if there was any other family member I could talk to besides his grandmother.”

“Did John tell you that the last time I babysat he falsely accused me of molesting him?”

Kathy made a note on her pad. “He did not mention that, was there an investigation?”

Brian shook his head. “No, he admitted he was lying before things went too far. I had been kind of an asshole to him because I was annoyed about looking after him. I think he was just trying to be an asshole back at me.”

“Well Brian, the big question is; are you willing to assume custody of your nephews? I have to tell you that there would be a fairly invasive investigation of you before custody was granted. Before you ask that investigation takes place whether people trying for custody are straight or gay.”

Brian sat back in his chair and glanced at Cynthia for a moment. He could read the sympathy for his nephews on her face. “I’m afraid I can’t answer that question for you without talking to my partner first, Justin is both my business and life partner. I know that word can be confusing.”

Kathy nodded. “John indicated that you lived in a loft in the city but I couldn’t find any property under your name in the Allegheny tax records. We would, of course, need to do a home inspection to be sure there was room to house the boys adequately.”

Cynthia chuckled and Kathy looked puzzled. Brian had a smile on his face as he answered. “Justin and I live in a house in Washington County. We still use the loft on occasion and actually own the building. The ownership is listed under KT Properties, a corporation that Justin & I own jointly. Cynthia was amused because our house has six bedrooms, so plenty of room for 2 nephews if it comes to that.”

Kathy smiled. “I understand that you will need to discuss possible custody with your partner. Can I have his last name?”

“His name is Justin Taylor. I should let you know he is 12 years younger than me and we first got together when he was 17. I don’t want to start this process without you knowing all the possible issues.”

Kathy tried not to look shocked. “Did you frequently date teenagers?” Brian shook his head. “No I was never a chicken hawk. There was something about Justin that was special from the first time we met. I fought against those feelings for a long time before admitting how much I cared about him.”

Cynthia spoke for the first time. “I can attest that a lot of Brian’s friends were aware of his special feelings for Justin long before Brian admitted it. Also Brian never had to intimidate or coerce anyone into having sex with him. Men of all ages were lined up waiting for the opportunity to be with him. No one ever got through to Brian like Justin did. He may have been young when they met but he was single-minded. Justin was very much the pursuer in the beginning of their relationship.”

Brian just laughed. “Well I was pretty hard to resist.”

Kathy found herself smiling at his confidence. “Back to the subject of my visit; when do you think you will have an answer for me?”

Brian told her to give her card to Cynthia and that he would have an answer for her no later than tomorrow afternoon.

They shook hands before Kathy & Cynthia left the office. Cynthia offered to give Kathy a list of names and contact info for people she should contact if there was an investigation. Kathy was delighted with the offer and followed Cynthia to her office.

Brain sat at his desk considering the ramifications of having custody of Claire’s sons.