Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Sickness & Health, Good Times & Bad

Chapter 10

Marty pulled into the driveway and quickly got out to open the door for Donna Brown. Justin got out his side, a $100 bill for Marty’s tip in his hand; he came around to shake Marty’s hand. “Justin, I am taking you all back to Kinnetik. Someone else will bring you back after the party.”

“Louie sure is working you hard your first day back. Turn off the car and come on in the house. Alice can feed you and you can watch a movie or play a video game in the media room until we are ready to leave.” Marty tried to protest but Justin opened the driver door, shut off the car and pocketed the keys. “Now you have nowhere else to go, so come on in.”

Justin and Donna sat out by the pool, drinking iced tea & chatting, until Brian & Leo arrived back to the house. All four went upstairs to change for the Kinnetik cocktail party.

When they arrived at Kinnetik, Justin left the Browns in Brian’s care and went to Ted’s office. Ted looked up from his computer when Justin gave a quick knock and walked into the office. “Hi Justin, did Brian send you to find me?”
Justin smiled. “Ted you should know me better than to think I would be Brian’s messenger.” Both men laughed.

“Actually Ted I need talk with you about a possible business deal. I took Donna Brown to Sidney Bloom’s Gallery today. He appears to be having a difficult time running the gallery without Norma. I would hate to see that gallery close so I would like to buy a controlling interest from Sidney. I think he would like to stay involved but not have the pressure of running it on his own. I haven’t even mentioned this to Brian. I’m hoping you could do some research and see if Tay-Kin Art can afford to buy a share of the gallery.”

Ted looked thoughtful for a moment. “I’ll be honest and say I have no idea what art galleries cost but I’m sure I can find out. It will take me a few days to give you any kind of definite information.” Justin smiled. “No huge rush. I appreciate it.”

They walked together down to the cafeteria which Emmett and his staff had transformed into a tropic paradise. Wait staff in flowered shirts were circulating with finger food and drinks. The room was starting to fill up with employees, their guests and customers. Justin saw Brian who was talking with Cynthia and the owner of Harkins Tires.

Justin started a walk through the room speaking to people he knew and introducing himself to those he didn’t recognize. He was chatting with Donna and Leo when he saw his mother & Tucker arrive. Jennifer walked over to her son who introduced her to the Browns.

A few minutes later Brian joined the group. He shook Tucker’s hand and gave Jennifer a kiss on the cheek. “Mother Taylor, you are looking even more lovely than usual. Most people would guess you to be Justin’s sister not his mother.”

Jennifer laughed. “No wonder you are my favorite son-in law.” Brian smirked and moved on to greet another new arrival. Justin excused himself to talk with someone from the art department.

Donna turned to Jennifer. “Do you work for Kinnetik Jennifer?” Jennifer smiled. “No I have a real estate firm which has a property management department. We manage this building and a few others that Brian and Justin own.”

Donna felt her next question might be a little rude but she couldn’t resist asking it. “Do you really think of Brian as your son in law?” “Truthfully after all these years and all the thing we have all gone through I really think of Brian more as another son.” She and Tucker moved off to sample the buffet.

When the time came for Brian to say a few words to the group he insisted on a very embarrassed Justin standing beside him. Justin was sure his face must have looked like a ripe tomato when Brian said that Justin’s constant support and encouragement were in large measure responsible for Brian’s & Kinnetik’s success. Jennifer, a very proud mother, wiped tears from her eyes. Brian was aware that there were some customers who preferred that he not push his homosexuality in their faces. Being Brian he really didn’t care and was pleased his success meant even if someone left Kinnetik because he was gay, there would be other customers to replace them.

Immediately after Brian’s remarks Donna & Leo Brown made a point of coming over and giving both men hugs showing their full support.

By 10:30PM the limo was taking the foursome back to Washington Township. The next morning breakfast was waffles and by 10:30AM Brian was driving the Browns back to the airport. By the time he got back home Justin was painting in the studio. Brian spent the afternoon lounging on the daybed in the studio while smoking a few joints.

Justin worked on his painting and told Brian about his tentative plans for Bloom Gallery. Justin’s painting was interrupted for a few lovemaking sessions so all in all it was an enjoyable day at home for the Taylor-Kinney household.

On Saturday morning Emmett was having breakfast at the diner and regaling Debbie with a recap of the Kinnetik party. As he was describing how beautiful Jennifer looked, Michael walked into the diner and came over to his booth.

Michael was surprised that Jennifer was invited to the party. He interrupted Emmett’s flowery description. “Why was Jennifer at the Kinnetik party? It was supposed to be just Brian’s employees and his customers.”

Emmett wanted to be careful in his reply and not put himself in the middle of the whole Michael versus Justin dynamic with Brian as the prize. “Jennifer’s firm manages the Kinnetik building so she is a business associate. Even if she isn’t actually an employee or a customer.”

Michael looked confused. “What do you mean she manages the building? I thought Cynthia was the office manager. What does Jennifer have to do with Kinnetik, is Justin trying to force out Cynthia after all these years?”

“Honey you really need to a take a chill pill. I have no clue why you see Justin as the villain in Brian’s life. Jennifer’s real estate company does property management. They do things like collect rent and coordinate maintenance repairs and keep records for Teddy to use. It has nothing to do with Cynthia’s job.”
“I still don’t understand why Brian needs someone to do those things. There is no rent to collect at Kinnetik and he could have someone in the office arrange repairs...”

“Michael honey, I plan parties. I can’t really explain property management or why Jennifer does it for the Kinnetik building. That is really Brian’s business and I for one would never question him about how he conducts his business.”

Debbie had been listening to the exchange. “Emmett is right Michael; it is Brian’s business and not really any of our concern.” “Ma, Brian is my best friend. I don’t want to see him get taken advantage of.” Emmett rolled his eyes and Debbie just walked away.

Michael slid into the both with Emmett and they chatted about things other than Brian & Justin while they ate their breakfast. Emmett left feeling kind of apprehensive about the Monday Barbeque. He could not understand Michael’s continuing fixation with Brian.

On Monday Brian & Justin were a little late getting to the barbeque at Michael & Ben’s. When they walked into the back yard Justin could feel Brian stiffen and knew without looking that his partner had a frown on his face. The fairly large yard was crowded with people, most of whom were strangers to Brian & Justin. Michael involved in a conversation on the far side of the yard gave them a quick wave. Justin spotted Emmett, Ted and Blake sitting at a table and led Brian over to them. Along the way they snagged a couple of beers out of a cooler.

Brian looked around the yard. “This whole place is full of heteros and stepford fags, it’s disgusting!” Ted took a swallow of his coke. “I see you got the Novotny welcome wave. We’ve been here for about 20 minutes and so far that has been our only interaction with Michael.”

Brian put down his beer. “Let’s get the fuck out of here now”. Justin was rubbing Brian’s back and trying to keep him from exploding. “Bri, its fine. Michael is busy with other guests. I’m sure he’ll be over to visit with us.”

A couple who had been talking with Michael came across the yard towards them. Justin could feel Brian tense up and kept rubbing his back and hoping it was comforting and calming his partner.

“Hi I’m Rob and this is my wife Winnie. We know Ben from the University, we work there with him. I teach business management and Winnie works in the Dean’s office.”

His wife smiled at Justin. “Justin, Michael was telling us about you. It seems you’ve know each other for a long time. He told us how his mother took you in when your parents disowned you and about your bashing. He said even with the problems you have with your hand; you moved to New York to try and break into the art world. Michael said you came back to Pittsburgh a few months ago and Brian took you to live with him. I’m not sure if you would qualify but I wanted to let you know that we are about to post a position for a teaching assistant for the art department. Here is my business card; if you are interested send me an email and I’ll send you info on the position. It sounds like you are overdue for some good things to happen in your life.”

Justin didn’t know what to say to this obviously sincere woman. He was more concerned that Brian might actually have a stroke. Ted & Blake were just embarrassed and unsure what to say.

Emmett was quickest to recover. “Honey did Michael happen to mention Justin’s last name?” Winnie was aware that something was wrong but had no idea what it was and shook her head in reply.

Emmett smiled at her. “His name is Justin Taylor, if you know anything about art or even if you read the Sunday paper that name may sound familiar.”

Rob & Winnie both recognized the name and were both horribly embarrassed. Rob finally spoke. “I’m so sorry, we must have misunderstood Michael. Of course we have heard of you. We apologize for suggesting you might need a job, we really were just trying to help.”

Justin smiled; he knew that they had been unwittingly dragged by Michael into some ridiculous scheme. “I do understand that and I know you were just trying to be kind. It’s not a problem.”

Rob trying to switch the conversation to safer ground turned to Brian. “Michael told me that you work in advertising. Which firm do you work for?” Justin leaned into Brian trying to calm him.

Brian also realized that Rob & Winnie were innocent victims. “I work at Kinnetik.” Rob got a huge smile. “That must be exciting. I often talk about Kinnetik in my classes. A relatively new arrival on the advertising scene but so successful; Brian Kinney is a genius with his ad campaigns, it must be fascinating to work with…”

As soon as Rob said “Brian Kinney” he had a sinking feeling that somehow again he had stuck his foot in his mouth. “Your last name is Kinney, right?”

To Justin’s surprise Brian laughed. "Don’t worry about it. We understand where the confusion originated. It’s actually kind of funny.”

Brian noticed that Michael was actually making his way towards them with a concerned look on his face. Emmett noticed Michael as well, part of him wanted to tackle him before he could reach them. He glanced at Ted & Blake. He saw Blake put his arm through Ted’s and just slightly shake his head.

Brian spoke a little louder so Michael could hear him. “I would be glad to talk to you sometime if you had questions about Kinnetik and how we operate, maybe even come speak to a class or two if you wanted. You shouldn’t blame Mikey for kind of leading you astray. I’ve known Mikey for years and if it isn’t written in a comic book he doesn’t know anything about it.”

Michael had come up behind Rob & Winnie. “Brian, I do read things besides comic books” “Really? It is always fascinating to learn new things about someone you’ve known for such a long time. Too bad you couldn’t have started all this reading when we were in high school. It would have saved me from writing all your book reports.”

Rob & Winnie not really sure just what was going on could sense the tension in the group and decided to just walk away. Michael started to say something but Brian looked over his head and paid no attention.

Brian turned to Justin. “Sunshine I would like to go home.”

Justin smiled and took Brian’s hand as they walked toward the exit. Emmett, Ted & Blake followed behind. Ben broke off from the group he was talking with and intercepted the group before they left the back yard. “Guys are you leaving; you haven’t even had anything to eat.” He saw Michael standing by himself looking very unhappy. “What’s wrong?”

Brian looked at him. “Unfortunately you are married to a fucking evil asshole. You should go talk with your friends Rob & Winnie. I think they are pretty upset and embarrassed.”

Ben started to say something else but all five men just continued on their way to their cars.

When they got to the Corvette Justin asked Brian to let him drive. “I’ll drive Sunshine.” Justin was still concerned about Brian. “Well let’s go over to the loft for a little while before we head home.” Brian agreed.

Emmett couldn’t wait to get in his car and get home. He felt like he needed a good stiff drink to get over the whole scene. He was amazed that Brian stayed as calm as he did.

Ted & Blake also quickly headed for home. Neither of them could understand what Michael was thinking. He had created an uncomfortable situation not only for his oldest friends but also for Ben’s innocent co-workers.

Brian stopped at their favorite Thai take-out place on the way to the loft. Once they got to the loft they opened a bottle of wine and sat down to eat. Justin looked across the table. “Brian are you Okay?”

“You know Sunshine I am. It was all kind of surreal. That poor hetero couple; she just keeps digging herself deeper in the Michael trap until she knows there is no way out. Than Mr Hetero tries the whole rescue thing with a change of subject and BAM he steps right on another Mikey landmine.” Both men started to laugh; the whole situation was just so ridiculous.

“Of course Brian you know you may find yourself standing in front of a college class talking about how to succeed in advertising.”

Brian just shook his head. “I couldn’t help myself; the two of them just looked so fucking sad and embarrassed. You don’t think he will actually call me do you? That would really suck and not in a good way.”

They were both laughing when Brian’s cell rang. He took a quick look at the caller screen before answering. “Hello Theodore.” He listened for a few minutes and started laughing again. “Both Justin and I are doing fine. We stopped for Thai and came to the loft to eat. The whole Michael thing is just too stupid to stay upset about. Thanks for calling; I’ll see you tomorrow.”

After they finished eating and cleaned up; Brian drove them home. They both occasionally burst out in laughter every time they thought of poor Rob & Winnie.
When Brian got to the office on Tuesday he already had a message from Michael and 2 emails. He let Carole know that he was not in for any calls or visits from Michael or Debbie. Justin showed up later in the day to retrieve his mural sketches from the art department. He told Brian he hadn’t had any calls from Michael or Debbie but Emmett told him Michael had called him to “explain the confusion” with Rob & Winnie. Emmett told Justin he listened to Michael’s explanation before telling him he should seek counseling.

Wednesday afternoon was Justin’s appointment to present his mural ideas to the PPG Place selection committee. He was the last of the four artists to present. Justin arrived early in his Brian selected clothes. He got access to the room and set up his sketches and sample painting. He had a PowerPoint of some of his other work loaded onto his laptop; he got the laptop and projector connected and paid a trip to the men’s room before the committee arrived.

The committee was comprised of 12 people, representatives of PPG, the management company for the office complex, the architect for the rehab project and two art critics. Justin felt his presentation went well. When it was over they asked him to wait outside the conference room for a few moments. When they called him back in 15 minutes later it was to tell him that they had chosen him to paint the murals. He gave them his lawyer’s contact info so they could forward the necessary paperwork to him. They tried to get him to leave his sketches and painting but he refused. He said they could have those once the paperwork was approved by his attorney and signed by all parties. Justin felt they made the mistake that many people did in thinking he looked too young and innocent to be savvy about business. He actually enjoyed when people made that mistake and used it to his advantage.

When Brian returned from a meeting he found Justin waiting in his office at Kinnetik. “Sunshine, how did the presentation go?” Justin shrugged his shoulders. “It seemed to go fine.”

Brian frowned. “Did they tell you when they would announce their decision?” “They indicated they would make their choice pretty quickly.”

Brian moved across the room and gave Justin a hug. “Ted says he has some preliminary information about your plans for the Bloom Gallery. Do you want him to come over here and give us an update?”

Justin shook his head, biting the inside of his cheek to keep from smiling. Brian looked so concerned and so unsure of what to say or do it was all Justin could do to not burst out laughing. “Not today. I think I would rather just go out and get an early dinner, can you leave soon?”

Brian walked over to his desk to shut down his laptop. “I can go right now Sunshine. Do you have any restaurant in mind?”

“No I don’t really care where we go. As long as they serve champagne so we can celebrate me being chosen to paint the murals for the PPG Place lobbies.”

Brian looked up quickly at Justin’s full blown sunshine smile. You little twat! You couldn’t just tell me, we had to play this silly game!” He hurried over, wrapped his partner in his arms and gave his a congratulations kiss.

Justin looked up into Brian’s eyes. “You sooooooo adore me.”