Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

Flight: Pittsburgh to New York

 

Brian boards the plane and is greeted by a very sombre Justin.  He wants to reach out and hold him, however that wouldn't be appropriate and Justin may not be able to uphold his composure if he does.   It is Justin's first day at work after the tragedy.  Brian really doesn't have to fly today, and unbeknown to Justin he is only making the trip to support him. 

 

The report received during Justin's last flight was to convey that one of their planes had exploded in mid-air.  Of course the worse possible scenario was assumed, as that is protocol.   Justin had taken it hard.  He has other crews that report to him and in one incident he had not only lost an entire team, he had also lost one of his best friends, as she was a member of that crew.  It had been almost a week before the investigation revealed the actual reason for the tragedy.  A passenger had boarded the flight with dangerous goods in their suitcase, which they had checked-in to the cargo hole.   A small fire started when friction in the passenger's luggage caused the prohibited item, a cigarette lighter, to spark.  All to suddenly the fire spread, causing the planes fuel ignited and exploded.

 

Justin goes through the safety announcements by rote.   Not once is there a spark of humor or any evidence of enjoyment for his role.  The last time Brian had seen Justin was the night of the incident.  He had called Brian, using the details from the serviette.  He told Brian he would be at Babylon that night.  He wanted to forget what had happened that day.  He wanted a few moments of not replaying the scenario of his friend's last moments over and over again in his mind.  He asked Brian to line up a dealer for him.  Brian could tell the moment Justin had walked in the door that he was already tweaked.  As he approached Brian at the bar he immediately asks him to point out the person who could fulfil his requirements.   Brian wanted nothing more than to give Justin what he desired.  He want to help him deal with the tragedy, but he also wanted him safe.  So he suggested that Justin had already had enough and invited him to his office for a drink.  Justin took this to mean a fuck, and he accepted.

 

As they entered Brian's office Justin turned and locked the door.  This was Brian's fantasy and worse nightmare come true.  He has come to know Justin as a friend and this is not how he wanted to cross that friendship line.  He had secretly hoped one day they could have more, but not like this.  It was Brian's turn to reject Justin. 

 

Justin seemed to have a hard time handling the rejection because of his emotional state.  This may be why his reaction was a little extreme.  He tried to force Brian over his desk.  If Brian wasn't going to fuck him, then he would fuck Brian.   In his diminished physical state he was no match for Brian's much larger body.   Brian easily pushed him away, leaving a now shirtless Justin heading for the door.  Brian followed.  He knew he had to help Justin as just one wrong decision tonight could have everlasting consequences. 

 

Justin returned to the bar area and then headed to the dance floor.  He was dancing with no one in particular and the sharks were circling.  Brian watched as Justin started dancing with two other men.  He was just about to intervene when he recognised one of them as the Captain from the flight.  The one who had kissed Justin.  Since he already believed Justin and the Captain had a sexual relationship he decided he wouldn't interfere.    He watched over Justin until the group of three left together. 

 

Today Justin is present in body, but his spirit seems defeated.   The service he is providing is very professional and when the inflight food service is complete he approaches Brian's seat.  The seat next to Brian is vacant, along with many others in the plane that day.  "Thank you."  He speaks very softly.  "Brandon told me you watched over me that abysmal night until I was safely with people I knew.  I realize what the aftermath of one foolish act can be and if you hadn't been there for me I may be facing insurmountable consequences right now." 

 

Brian chose to ignore the obvious lecture he could give Justin about being safe.  He is surprised that he cares about this man the way he does, and he definitely wants him safe.  Wanting to keep Justin safe shouldn't surprise him, as he has already deliberated over his actions towards this man.  What does surprise him is he isn't sure if the questions he's about to ask is for his sake or Justin's.  "Justin, you once told me this isn't your dream job.  So why do it?   Especially now?"

 

"I'm not afraid, Brian."  Justin knew Brian's name as it was part of the information Brian had jotted on the napkin, but he had never used it until that night.  "I know most people don't realize that air travel is still so much safer than travelling by automobile.  I'm also aware there are always people that break the rules and put others in danger.

 

I already had a plan to resign when Anita returned to work.  However, she isn't coming back now.  I was going to follow my dream and I had already put in applications with a few companies I would like to work for.  Meanwhile, I will help this airline and my staff recover while I put my plans for my dream career on hold."

 

"So you'll keep Anita's route?"

 

"No.  I'm filling any position they request I take.  My next trip is a long haul one."

 

"Will I ever see you again?"  Brian asks with trepidation.

 

"Maybe in your dreams."  Little did Justin know Brian had coined that phrase, which has now become a popular rejection line.  He doesn't really want to reject Brian, but he doesn't want any more heartache right now.

 

"It's that Captain guy isn't it?" 

 

"NO."

 

Brian ignores the slight protest.  "You love him. Don't you?"

 

For the first time in days Justin smiles.  Brian sounds jealous.  "Brandon and I were only ever fuck buddies and we grew in to being friends.  He has someone now."  Justin smiles a little brighter.  "The co-pilot.....Ethan.   The other man dancing with us at Babylon that night.   The current tragedy finally had them confess their feelings for each other."  Justin pauses to see if Brian would follow Brandon and Ethan's lead.  He really wants to know how Brian truly feels about him.

 

"Justin, I don't want to lose you.  I think we have a real connection, however, if you tell me otherwise I'll accept that and just walk away."  There is a few seconds silence.  "I'm really hoping the deafening silence is a good sign."  Brian tries to lighten the mood.  Justin is a little stunned as it seems Brian is aware of what he was alluding to about expressing ones feelings. 

 

"I feel we have a connection too, Brian.  When I heard the terrible news, and assumptions were made, my first thought was of how pleased I was I could see you.  I knew you were safe.  You were the one I sought comfort from that evening.  I know I ruined it by being high.  Nevertheless, it was your arms I wanted holding me and telling me everything would be alright, and even though I didn't know you would be on this flight, you were the one person I wanted to see board the plane today.   I don't know what all that means Brian and how far you want to take things."

 

"How far.....let's see".  Brian taps his fingers on his chin.  He knows Justin isn't speaking literally, as in physical distance, however he decides Justin needs a little levity right now.  "How about we take it all the way?  I'll join you on that long haul flight.....you know, it will be like a date."

 

"A date."

 

"Yeah, you supply me with dinner, there's a movie and the lights will be turned down."  Justin gives Brian a playful nudge on the forearm.  "And just to mix things up a bit, I can even entertain you with my safety spiel about another kind of ride."  Without any words Justin signals, with a slight tilting and lifting of his head, for Brian to start his spiel.  Brian begins with a smile in his voice.  "Welcome to Kinney Airway, flight 951."

 

"Oh, let me guess, length, width and number of testicles?"

 

Brian smirks.  Justin's a smart fucker, still, he shouldn't have been surprised at Justin's knowledge because it was what he had written and illustrated on the serviette he had left for him.  However, because he was interrupted he starts again.  "Welcome to Kinney Airway, flight 951.  Our Motto is, Work hard, Play hard and Stay hard.  The "Fasten Condom Sign" will be on at all times.  Cruising altitude will be nine inches above seat level.  In an emergency please assume the brace position, which is hold tight to your partner's ears and ride it out.  Estimated time to our destination will be announced shortly before arrival, with a feral groan.  If you were to become a frequent flyer you would receive rewards points.  With every hundred points earned you will have the choice between two gifts; become the pilot for one ride or a toaster......"  

 

Justin jumps from the seat.  Although Brian was being humorous as he spoke their faces had been drawn to each other's like magnets.  Brian's breath had been brushing gently across Justin's cheek and both men were radiating white hot passion from every pore.  Brian was mere seconds away from kissing Justin and Justin was showing no resistance.  Justin isn't sure what has pulled him back to reality; it could have been the announcement to prepare for landing, or it could have been the excitement of earning enough rewards points to get a free toaster.  Now he is standing staring at Brian and biting his bottom lips.  "Justin?"  Was all Brian said, as the question was in the tone.

 

Justin giggles.  "Later Brian.  I have to undertake a cabin check now and I can't go checking seat belts with a boner, as everyone will be thinking I'm looking at their crouch and getting off on it."

 

As the flight concludes Justin is feeling a little better. He knows the passengers will still have the incident on their minds so on touch down he tries to lighten the mood, while keeping the airline patrons safe.  "We'd like to welcome you to Honolulu.  However, we can't.  This is New York."  While the plane is taxiing towards the terminal, as always some people start undoing their seat belts.  Justin is in a hurry to leave, but he wants everyone safe, so he makes the announcement.  "Ladies and gentlemen, our planes are equipped with new sensors that tell us three people have unfastened their seat belts. These individuals will not be permitted to leave the plane unless they refasten their seat belts until we arrive at the terminal."  It's amazing how gullible some passengers are and you can hear the clicks as people refasten their seat belts.  The plane is taxiing very slowly and Justin can see the passengers getting a little frustrate, so he announces.   "We will be arriving at the terminal at 10.02....10.03......10.04......10.05."  He is enjoying hearing the passengers' laughter once again.  The plane eventually comes to a stop. The Seat Belt sign is still illuminated and once again some of the passengers unfasten their seat belts and stand up to retrieve their carry-on luggage.  Justin's announcement is.  "Ah, ah, ah!"  To which the obedient travellers actually sit back down.

 

The Seat Belt sign is finally switched off and Justin wants the passengers out of there as fast as possible, because he knows Brian will be waiting for him once the self-loading cargo disembarks.  So one short announcement achieves his goal.  "Last one off cleans the plane."

 

Chapter End Notes:

I call this my Brian chapter.  Brian gets to reject Justin.  Brian gets to show his caring side.  Brian verbalizes his feelings.  Brian gets to insert his own brand of humor. Brian gets his man. (I know; Brian always gets his man; maybe he's a Mountie at heart.)  LOL  I hope you don't mind my seemingly very chatty Brian this chapter.  Who knew he could talk so much.  LOL

Just the very short epilogue to go.  Will Justin make one final announcement?  Will he follow his dream?  Will he get a free toaster?  I hope you tune in to find out.   LOL  

Constructive criticism is appreciated, but nice reviews are even better.  LOL's are my favourites.