Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

Brian and Justin's feelings deepen for each other.  But when reality comes crashing in, what will happen to them? 

 

Next Evening - Private Dining Room


"Molly, pass me the rolls," Craig instructed his daughter.  "And take off the ear buds; that's rude."

 

Molly rolled her eyes as she pulled the white set out of her ears and sighed, passing the basket of rolls over to her father.

 

"Where is Justin tonight?" he asked Jen.  "This is two nights in a row that he's missed the family dinner.  What's gotten into him?"

 

Molly giggled.  "You mean who," she replied, totally unaware of the implications.

 

Craig turned to peer over at her daughter as he asked her sharply, "What are you talking about, Molly?"  He noticed his daughter averting her eyes as if she realized she had said too much.

 

"Nothing, Dad," she mumbled as Jen eyed her curiously.

 

"No, Molly, say what you were going to say," Craig demanded quietly.

 

She shrugged as she fumbled with her ear buds nervously.  "I just saw Mr. Kinney hanging around him a lot lately, that's all.  He's teaching Justin how to surf."

 

"What?!" Jennifer gasped as Craig's eyes darkened.  "That's dangerous!"

 

"Aw, Mom...A lot of people do it.  He's pretty good at it, too; I was watching him earlier.  He's got good balance."  She didn't think it would be a good idea to tell them that she had seen her brother and Brian on the same surfboard practicing - with Brian's arms around her brother's waist.  One shock at a time, she decided...

 

"When did your brother have time to practice surfing? He's supposed to be working." Craig pressed.  "He'd better not be goofing off instead."

 

"Craig..."

 

"He's not," Molly assured her parents in his defense.  "He waited until after his shift tonight."

 

"But you said Kinney's been hanging around him a lot; what do you mean by that?"  Craig hadn't been aware that the two of them were even spending time together.

 

"Hey, don't get too worked up about it!" Molly told him, trying to defuse the situation.  "I just mean I've seen them together off and on the past couple of days.  After all, Brian's a surfer and Justin's a lifeguard. He did take care of him after he got stung, remember?  It's natural that they would see each other during the day, then."

 

"That's different," Craig pointed out.  "That has to do with his job."  He peered across the table at Jen.  "I'm not sure I like the sound of this, Jen.  Kinney seems like a fairly responsible man, but he's a lot older than Justin."  He pursed his lips tightly together.  "Justin's vulnerable.  I think there's only one reason why he would be hanging around our son."

 

Jennifer silently fretted about the same thing, but she also knew Justin had a sensible head on his shoulders and wasn't a baby anymore; after all, he would be heading off to college soon.  "Craig, he's old enough to make his own decisions," she told him quietly.  "And besides, isn't Brian leaving tomorrow morning?"

 

Craig nodded as Molly silently took all of their conversation in, wondering if she had made a mistake telling them about the two of them.  She thought they had looked sweet together. And by the look on both her brother and Brian's faces, neither one of them appeared to be using the other.  Her knowledge of being in love was pretty much nil, but she imagined if she did know what it looked like it, it would definitely resemble the expressions she had seen on their faces.  They might not have realized it, but SHE had.

 

"Well, then, I wouldn't worry about it," Jen told him reasonably.  "He'll be going back home and the problem will be solved."

 

Craig tersely nodded.  "I suppose," he grumbled as he sipped some of his coffee.  "He'd best be applying himself if he wants to find reliable transportation for school, not wasting his time surfing."

 

Jennifer glanced over at their daughter, who was totally absorbed in their conversation.  Not surprising, since Molly was normally a sponge when it came to information; she was much like her brother that way.  "Molly, you can be excused," she encouraged her not so subtly.

 

"I'm fine," Molly said with an exasperating smile.

 

Jennifer sighed as she turned to look at her husband.  "I meant to talk to you about that, Craig."

 

"What do you mean?  Justin needs to pull his load like everyone else."

 

"I know that.  I mean, he has a partial scholarship already.  He's worked hard to get it, too.  Don't you think we should help him out a little with his car, then?"

 

Craig brushed his hand through his hair in agitation.  "Jen, he'll never make his way in life if we just hand things to him.  It's bad enough that he thinks he can make a living through his art.  Let him find out the hard way that he's going to have to get a real job in order to survive - and that includes paying expenses along the way, including a car.  He'll have enough saved by the end of the summer to find something decent enough for that."

 

Jennifer and Molly exchanged an exasperated look between them before Jennifer finally nodded in resignation, knowing her husband wouldn't back down. She knew he loved their son - and even grudgingly accepted his homosexuality - but she also knew he would never believe Justin could survive out in the 'real world' as an artist.  Perhaps he was right. But she was willing to give him the chance to pursue his dream and find out.

 


 

Justin's POV

 

"You're making it hard to concentrate," I growled at my teacher as I shoved his hands back up to my waist where they belonged; one of them had been creeping lower and lower, no doubt heading toward the inside of my shorts until I stopped him.

 

Brian chuckled in my ear.  "Very hard," he agreed in my ear as I shivered at the sexy tone of his voice.

 

"Brian..."  I sighed.  "I feel ridiculous. Why do I have to do this on the sand?  I feel like I'm in a remedial surfing class or something."

 

He laughed.  "Now, Gidget, everyone has to learn on the bunny slope first.  Besides, it does have its perks.  Now quit being such a drama queen, bend your legs a little more and hold your arms out like I told you."

 

I rolled my eyes but complied as Brian promptly tickled me in my sides and I bent over laughing.  "Stop that!" I told him as he continued to torment me.  Fortunately, we had found a relatively secluded spot for my surfing lessons, around a bend and partially hidden by a thick clump of pine trees, so I didn't have other people eyeing me curiously.  But I still felt absurd practicing my form on a surfboard placed on top of the sand.

 

I turned around in Brian's arms as we shared a deep kiss, my surfing lessons temporarily forgotten as we wound our arms around each other.  Our kisses were quickly becoming an addiction with me; I found that I couldn't get enough, which was going to make our parting tomorrow even more difficult.

 

b and J kissing

 

"Stop that," he softly chided me as he held my head in his hands and he pulled back to look into my sorrow-filled face.  "You know I can't stay here."

 

My eyes watered despite my attempt to avoid it.  I didn't want him to think I was a baby, although I was beginning to warm up to the "Gidget" nickname by now - just in time to hear it for the last time possibly.

 

He pressed his head to my forehead as he whispered, "You have school in the fall and I have my agency, Justin."  He lifted his head to peer into my eyes.  "Come on - I think you're ready to do some real surfing now," he told me softly as I nodded and stepped off the surfboard so he could pick it up.

 

"I'm perfectly capable of handling a board by myself, you know," I told him as he tilted it on its side and began to tote it toward the water.

 

"You can always snag one from Honeycutt later if you want to try it on your own," he told me as we emerged from the grove of pine trees and headed toward some choppy waves away from the rocky crag outcrop several yards away.  He looked over at me as we waded into the water with the board.  "But for now, I want to make sure you know what you're doing first."

 

I huffed in insult as he told me to get onto the board; a few minutes later, as Brian's body was draped over mine and we paddled in tandem toward one of the waves, I began to rethink whether or not this wasn't such a bad idea after all.  There were worse ways to learn how to surf, I decided, as Brian nuzzled my neck as we headed farther out and bit down playfully on my earlobe.

 

"Cut it out," I told him as the water lapped over our bodies.  "You're distracting me."

 

He chuckled as we began to bob up and down with the ever-increasing waves before he told me to stand up.  Helping me to rise, he had just enough time to place his body behind mine before we took off - and I promptly wiped us out as the board slipped out beneath me and we both went flying into the water.

 

Several minutes later, we both trudged back onto shore.  Out of six trips, I had only managed to stay on the board two times, and that was only for a short while as we rode toward the beach.  Of course, every time I fell off, so did Brian, but he never said anything to ridicule my skills.

 

We collapsed wearily onto the sand, the board lying beside us, lying flat on our backs as the sun crept lower into the horizon, signaling the day would soon be over - the last day I would spend with this incredible man.  It had been a glorious few days, the best one being our 'non-date' the other day.  I tried not to think about tomorrow as I turned my head to study his majestic profile, his eyes closed as he lay there unsuspecting of my study of him.

 

My face warmed as he opened his eyes and turned his head to stare at me; I reached out my hand to clasp his, trying to memorize everything about him.

 

"Come on," he told me as he rolled onto his side and pulled me up along with him.  "Let's take this board back to the shop."

 


 

Fifteen minutes later, Brian had me pinned to my bed, raining kisses all over my face, shoulders, chest, arms, belly, and legs before he latched onto my cock with his lips. I fisted his hair as he spent an excruciating length of time bringing me to the brink and then pulling back just enough to prevent me from coming as his hand caressed me all over and he whispered my name in between his lips ghosting over my skin.  It was almost as if he, too, were trying to put to memory every part of me, as my eyes glistened at the thought of saying goodbye.

b and j

 

I knew I was young, but I wasn't too young to realize that Brian might be the one.  God help me, but I think I was falling in love with this man, and just as I was beginning to realize it, now he was leaving.  As I climaxed into his waiting mouth, it was bittersweet.

 


 

An hour later after making love, he snored softly beside me as he cradled me in his arms, my head lying on his chest and one leg tangled with his. I had left the balcony doors open to let in the warm breeze generated by the high tide and could hear the waves crashing onto the beach below.  Normally I love to hear the ocean at night and it helped me to sleep soundly.  But not tonight.  Tonight it was almost as if they were mocking me and reminding me of a painful reality that would come much too soon.

 

head on chest

 

I closed my eyes instead and decided to listen to the sound of Brian's heart beating beneath me, reassuring me that he was still here.  Finally, about two hours later, my weariness overcame me as I fell asleep with his arm curled protectively around my shoulder.

 


The Next Morning...


"Checking out, Mr. Kinney?" the young woman greeted Brian as he hefted his backpack onto his shoulder.

 

Brian nodded.  "Yeah."

 

The front desk clerk, who had previously been informed by her boss that Brian was a 'gratis' guest in the special wing of the resort, smiled back at him.  "I hope you enjoyed your stay and will come back and see us again."

 

He paused for a moment as he looked back toward the hallway heading into the private dining room, the sketch that Justin had drawn of him securely rolled up and stashed inside his backpack.  Justin had presented it to him the other night as a gift when they had returned the other day from their trip up the Pacific Coast.

 

"Mr. Kinney?  Everything okay?" the young woman inquired in concern, noticing his hesitation.

 

Brian turned back to her and nodded.  "Yes," he told her softly.  "Thank you; everything's fine."

 


 

As he started up his Harley a few minutes later, however, he knew that was a big lie. Everything wasn't fine.  Everything was fucked up.  His heart was fucked up; thanks to a full-of-life blond that he had been forced to leave sleeping in his bed this morning.  It had been one of the hardest things he had ever done, but he knew if he woke Justin up he might never leave.  This wasn't his life; he couldn't remain here as a surfing beach bum forever.  It was time to get back to the life he knew, the life he so expertly handled and knew like the back of his hand; the life that would continue to be a lucrative one but one that would be so empty now without Justin in it.  But Justin had his own path as well; a path that would take him in a vastly different direction than his, and to prolong their goodbye would have only made it worse.

 

Walking to his Harley, then, he secured the backpack onto his back before reaching for his helmet and starting up his bike.