Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

 

 

Two Weeks Later


"Justin!"

 

I let go of my son's hand as he ran helter-skelter toward my partner who was standing in front of the stove, stirring a big pot of mixed vegetables and linguini. 

Justin cooking

 

His face glowed with pleasure as he recognized the 'visitor' I had called to advise him about earlier when I had asked if he could set an extra plate for dinner.  No doubt Justin had assumed it was a business client; it wasn't unusual for me to bring someone home when I needed to continue my discussion with him or her after working hours, and I often found that Justin normally managed to charm the pants off our guest by the time the evening was over with - at least figuratively speaking, which was an added plus.  After one client had blatantly tested the literal meaning several months ago by flirting with him one evening over his shrimp jambalaya, I had promptly laid down the law to the potential new client and to my partner, telling the client to fuck off as I shoved him out the door and telling Justin that NO ONE got into his pants anymore but me.  Justin hadn't seemed to mind my caveman antics in the least, however, at the time; in fact, I think the little fucker looked quite smug for the next several days afterward, and he seemed particularly frisky in bed that night, which suited me just fine.  I smiled now as he stooped down to pull Gus into a big bear hug.

 

"Hey, Little Man!" he greeted him with a big smile as he embraced him tightly.  "This is a nice surprise!  You weren't supposed to be back out here until next weekend," he observed as he pulled back to look at my son, who was wearing a pair of Gucci blue jeans I had bought him a few months ago, along with a long-sleeved, green sweatshirt with a cheetah on it; my son had recently decided he was going to be a zoologist when he grew up, having been to the zoo a few months ago and having fallen in love with it, and was currently on a wild animal kick, from his room décor to his school supplies and his attire.  The green cheetah sweatshirt had been a gift from Justin a few weeks ago when he had taken him to the mall to shop and enjoy some of the indoor kiddie rides.  It had quickly become one of his favorite things to wear.

 

"What are you doing here, Gus?" he asked my son as his eyes swept over to meet mine in question.

 

"Mama's sick," he told him, his eyes expressive as he recounted what was wrong with Melanie.  "She's got the measles."

 

"The measles, huh?" Justin replied with a knowing look as his eyes bored into mine.  I rolled my lips under and shrugged nonchalantly as he asked Gus, "Are you sure, Gus?"

 

Gus nodded.  "Yeah, that's what mommy said she had.  She said mama has never had the measles before.  She feels really bad."

 

"Is that so?" Justin asked as he stared over at me pointedly.

 

"Uh, huh.  She wondered where she got them from."

 

I could see Justin biting his lower lip to keep from laughing as he replied, "Well, it IS unusual for an adult to get the measles, but not unheard of."  Gus nodded as he added, "I'll have dinner ready in a few minutes; why don't you take your backpack up to your room and wash your hands?"

 

"Okay," he agreed as he turned around and headed back to me.  I handed him his backpack and gave him a playful smack on his ass as he turned to go.

 

"Daddy!" he giggled at me as I grinned before he scurried down the hallway toward the stairs and took off like a rocket.

 

"Slowly, Sonny Boy!" I called out to him in caution.  "And hold onto the railing!"  Satisfied that my son was doing as I requested, I turned my attention back to my partner as I walked up to him.  He was standing there with his arms folded across his chest as he eyed me in amusement.

 

"You look rather smug," he observed as he stared into my eyes with a knowing look.  "Melanie must be feeling pretty terrible to let Gus come out here earlier than scheduled."

 

"Yeah," I replied with a sort of tsk, tsk sound with my tongue as I peered back at him solemnly and shook my head sadly.  "It's a real shame."

 

We stared at each for a few moments longer before we both burst out laughing.  I grinned at him impishly as he asked, "Are you ever going to tell her?"

 

"Oh, I don't know.  Maybe someday; if I'm feeling particularly brave and want to rub it in.  But for now, let's just enjoy it, shall we?"

 

He shook his head with a grin.  "You're lucky Gus didn't know what you had, or I'm sure he would have spilled the beans by now."

 

I nodded.  "Probably.  He's not very good at keeping secrets, despite his good intentions."  I had already been witness to that during Justin's last birthday; my idea to whisk my partner away on a surprise long weekend to Virginia Beach had been promptly quashed when Gus had asked him to bring him back some seashells from 'his trip,' even though I had asked him not to tell.  I suppose that was my own fault, though; my son was just too curious and excited about secrets for his own good.  So it was probably a miracle that Gus hadn't apparently mentioned that I had been 'sick' during his last visit.  I'm sure if he had, I would have heard about it by now.  Mel wasn't a good attorney for nothing, I had to grudgingly admit.

 

"I know," Justin agreed with a smile.  "I remember."

 

I walked over and picked up the large, wooden spoon in the bowl of linguini to blow on it before taking a sample.  "Mmmm," I pronounced with a smile of approval, the savory blend of garlic and other spices assailing my taste buds.  "Good."

 

"Thanks," Justin responded, pleased by my critique.  "I thought you were bringing home a potential new client, so I fixed one of your favorites."

 

I nodded, gratified by my partner's thoughtfulness.  "Well, Gus loves it, too, so I'm sure dinner will be a big hit.  What's for dessert?" I asked him, knowing that would be part of the meal, too; to Justin that was one of the major food groups.

 

He grinned.  "Cheesecake with strawberries," he told me as I nodded.

 

I grinned back at him in approval and leered openly at him as I asked, "You think we should follow that up with some Hankie Pankie© later?"  I felt quite capable of imbibing in some, now that I was good as new - or bad as new, to quote one of my partner's favorite expressions.

 

Justin laughed as he reached above the stove's cabinet to open it and retrieve the last, remaining box of cookies.  Taking out a partially eaten package, he reached in to grab a cookie and bit into it before he smiled at me seductively.  "I'm sure that can be arranged."

 

Chapter End Notes:

 

Thank you to everyone who read and especially for the comments; your support and kindness is greatly appreciated and very encouraging.  Happy Easter from the boys - and Gus!:)