Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

 

"He who submits to fate without complaint is wise"

~Euripides

 

 

"Thumpa, Thumpa, Thumpa…"

The ritualistic drumming pulsed through the sea of exotic creatures as they swayed in sexual rhythm to the hypnotic beat.

Strategically placed, artificial lighting of blue and silver glided over sweat-coated skin, highlighting each flexing muscle in the crowd. Guttural groans of unrepressed desire echoed through the masses mimicking mating calls.

Here, hunter and quarry alike mingled on the dance floor reveling in their sexual freedom.

Babylon was a jungle where gay men congregated, prowled and preyed. It was their domain. It was wild, untamed and chaotic yet it was their utopia where each existed in synchronized harmony.

Justin mused on how Babylon and its inhabitants bore semblance to the Jungle. Everything from the cages the men danced in, to the catwalk above where the 'hunters' prowled encapsulated the wild kingdom. Even the men themselves took on various characteristics of wild animals.

Mostly they resembled benign creatures like monkeys, giraffes, and of course, the 'boars'; ah but then there were the 'Cats'.

The Cats ruled the Jungle. These were the Cheetahs', Panthers, Jaguars and Lions. They prowled and hunted other animals such as the Gazelles', which Justin would classify himself as. Sleek, fast and clever; all attributes needed to be one step ahead of the 'Cat'.

But it was the Lion who ruled the Jungle, and of course, that "Lion" was currently holding court on the dance floor as his many admirers surrounded him to pay him homage.

This was Brian's Jungle and he was King here. He hadn't been to his lair in a while and by the reception he was getting it was obvious he was very much missed.

Brian looked hotter than ever. Justin watched as his body moved seductively in time to the music; his arms raised over his head, his head thrown back, eyes closed, heedless to the torment he was inflicted on the men dancing all around him.

There was no pain here, no troubles, and no sense of reality for Brian. It was his sanctuary.

Everyone had a place they went to when they wanted to break free from the stress of everyday life. For Justin, it was his art. A blank canvas became his refuge where he could create any world he wanted to. For Ben, it was his writing, for Emmett, designing, Michael, his comics, but for Brian, it was here, in his Jungle.

Babylon.

"God, I fucking hate him. It's just not fair. Ten fucking weeks in a coma and he comes out looking younger and more fucking gorgeous then ever. He's a virtual walking orgasm!" Emmett said in typical "Em" dramatic style.

Michael laughed and shook his head. "Em, it's just one of those unfair facts of life we all have to face. Brian Kinney will always be young, he will always be beautiful."

"I don't envy you," Michael added turning to Justin.

Justin smiled, his eyes trained on his lover. What Mikey didn't understand was that Justin got as much joy at watching Brian drive men crazy as Brian did driving them crazy.

Brian was a dominant sexual being who thrived on the thrill of the hunt. Justin understood this. A big part of him felt a certain pride at Brian's legendary sexual prowess.

Justin watched as Brian snared one unsuspecting trick after another, only to turn them lose once he had them in his grasp. He made only two trips into the backroom tonight. And each time it was with him.

Brian no longer had a taste for tricking, though the 'hunter' in him would always need to go out and ply his skills from time to time. Justin was more than happy to let him do so, especially since it was he who reaped the benefits of his lover's labor.

And the tricks were happy just to be near the "Stud" of Liberty Avenue. It was an honor. Whether Brian actually fucked them or not was irrelevant as long as they were "seen" with his Majesty. That alone could boost a tricks reputation big time. One dance with Brian fucking Kinney and suddenly, you gained the interest of those who wouldn't give you a second glance before.

"I should hope not, young man!" the professor said.

Michael cast a doey-eyed look upon his lover. "Now why would I envy Justin when the man of my dreams is standing right here in front of me?"

Ben smiled down at Michael and kissed him.

"What I meant, was I don't envy Justin being married."

"Incorporated," Justin corrected Mikey.

Michael laughed. "Sorry, "incorporated" to a man whose every man's AND woman's fantasy. It must be hard living with an idol."

"Try working for one," Ted chimed in.

"The problem with said idol is the illusion is shattered once he speaks. That man has a vicious tongue," Emmett said.

Justin eyed him suspiciously. Emmett had his plastic surgery done two weeks ago. The swelling was down, but he still wore a small bandage. The scar was barely visible now and the doctors said it would be completely gone in a few weeks. Emmett's' vanity however would not permit him to go out in public without the small covering to his face.

"Brian giving you a hard time, Em?" Justin asked.

Emmett huffed in a very queenly fashion. "His Highness called me a coward! He said that Lucy's boy Elliot was braver than I was. HE had to face a school full of cruel 5th graders while undergoing several massive facial reconstructive surgeries, and he did so without flinching, yet I didn't have the balls to come to Babylon with a 'little scratch', as he calls it, on my face without covering it up."

James laughed. Emmett glared at him. "I don't think it's funny."

"It is funny, and Brian is right," James said then downed the shot of Vodka he was holding.

"I'm just following doctor's orders! He said to keep it covered until he sees me next week. YOU just like me disfigured!" Emmett complained then turned to Michael. "I swear to God the man's a sadist. He loves me scarred."

"Hmmm…" James answered by grabbing Emmett by the waist and pulling him against his side.

That was about as affectionate as James got in public. In private though…well that was a different story.

Emmett bumped his hip against James unexpectedly throwing him off balance. The sudden movement caused James to bump into a kid that was standing at the bar next to them, trying to get a drink.

James turned to kid intending to apologize when the young lad started sputtering nervously.

"Um, oh, shit, I mean, sorry…I wasn't watching where I was standing," the kid stuttered.

James eyed the lad. He looked way too young to be in the club.

"Isn't it past your bedtime?" James asked ominously.

Justin turned to see who James was talking to.

The boy was tall and lanky with mousy brown hair and a nose that was a tad too big for his face. His not so clear complexion and his ungainly manner confirmed James' accusation. This kid was not old enough to be here.

"Hi, I'm Justin. What's your name?" Justin asked the boy.

The 'boy' in question looked dumbfounded. Justin suspected that he was the first guy to show him any attention all evening.

"Justin, what are you doing?" Michael asked.

Ted took a drink of his seltzer and laughed. "Probably the same thing Brian did to him when he was just seventeen."

"Hey, I'm NOT seventeen!" the boy in question protested.

"How old are you?" Justin asked.

"I'm twenty one," the boy lied unsuccessfully.

"Baby, if that tell-tale blush you're sporting wasn't enough to give you away, that little quiver in your bottom lip would. You really need to practice more if you want people to believe your lies," Emmett commented.

"Don't encourage the boy," James lightly scolded.

"I'm just passing on some age old wisdom," Emmett teased.

"The operative word being "age old". The kid doesn't need fatherly advice from you, grandpa Em," Ted teased.

Emmett squealed in feigned outrage and playfully slapped Ted on the shoulder.

"Ok, so you're not twenty one. How old are you?" Justin asked again.

"Um, ok, I'm twenty."

"There goes that lip again," Emmett pronounced with a sly look.

James sighed.

"Want to try one more time?" Justin suggested.

"Nineteen?"

Everyone laughed.

"Jesus kid, ARE you seventeen?" Ted asked, not believing he actually nailed it the first time.

"No, I'm not. I'm eighteen, ok!" the boy answered angrily.

"See, no quiver. He's telling the truth," Emmett said.

"First time here I assume," Justin said.

The boy cast his eyes downward. "Are you going to have me thrown out?" heasked in a pitiful little voice.

"Don't worry, kid, you're not the only minor here. Babylon is a Mecca for underage gay boys. Hell, I think most of us got laid for the first time here. Mikey, how old were you your first time here?" Ted asked.

"I was seventeen, Brian was sixteen. He got us fake ID's."

"Nice role model you had there, Mikey," Emmett said sarcastically.

"I can't imagine how he's going to raise those kids! Baby, how are you handling all this?" Emmett asked Justin changing the topic.

Brian and Justin told the guys about Brian being the only living relative to his cousin's two teenage kids. A cousin he never knew even existed until a few weeks ago. They were just getting over the shock of Clair dying and Brian and Justin taking over custody of her boys. Now it seemed, they might have two new additions to their already growing family.

"It will be fine. Besides, Brian is a great with young boys. I should know," Justin said with a sly look.

"Yet another shining example of Brian's wonderful influence," Emmett said cheekily.

They all laughed.

"Seriously though, Brian is great with kids. Regardless of what you think, Em, Brian did a great job at raising Mikey," Justin said smiling at Michael.

"I'll attest to that," Ben said grabbing Michael around the waist.

Michael laughed. "Yeah, well, I have to agree. If it weren't for him, I might still be in the closet. He always pushed me to be my true self. If that's not good parenting, I don't know what is."

"He does that with all of us. He never lets us settle, he always expects more from us. If it weren't for him, I'd still be working at that cheesy restaurant singing opera to a bunch of overweight pretentious assholes."

"I loved your singing," Emmett said kissing Ted's cheek.

Ted blushed.

"But you're right. You weren't meant for a life of singing for your supper. Brian saw more in you. Just like he saw more in me. He saw the "queen" in me and set her free, baby! Wooooo!" Emmett twirled around demonstrating his queenly persona.

His actions prompted another round of laughter from the guys.

"And to think, most of that all happened here in Babylon," Mikey mused.

"Does Brian know Sapperstein wants to sell Babylon to some developers who want to turn it into a mall?"

Justin sighed. "Yeah, he knows. He wants to buy it."

"That's great!" Emmett said. "I can't imagine a world without places like Babylon for young men to come and be free from the condemnation of straight society! Every city should have a Babylon," Emmett said passionately.

"Brian and I both agree, however, we simply can't afford it. We sunk a lot of money into the Tremont house, which we've dubbed our new home, plus my school, and he's expanding Kinnetik," Justin informed the guys.

"Yeah, that's strapping us big time. He wants to open an office in New York. Cynthia is going to relocate there and run it. She's more than ready. It's a smart move and will pay off big time in three to five years. But it's going to be tight for a while getting it up and running. We're maxed out on loans as it is," Ted announced.

Justin knew all this. It wasn't as if they were broke, far from it. Justin still had his trust fund from his grandfather, but Brian wouldn't let him touch it. They agreed it was for their children's future. Justin wanted to get his school up and running fast so it could start generating some income. They would be fine financially, even with the new additions to their family, but they really couldn't stretch themselves that thin by buying Babylon. Justin wished he could find a way to keep it for Brian though.

"Has he talked to Rena?" James asked.

Rena had more than enough money to buy Babylon, but Brian would never ask her. He felt she was his responsibility, not the other way around. There was no way he would ask her for money.

He shot James a look that conveyed his thoughts.

"We have to do something. We can't lose Babylon," Michael said surprising them all.

"Why, Mikey, I didn't think it'd matter so much to you. I mean with you and Ben being all domesticated now. Babylon is just a sweet memory for you," Emmett said.

"Maybe, but at one time, it DID matter. And it matters today to other young gay men."

"I'll never forget that first night Brian brought me here. I was scared shitless. I remember the shock I felt when I first walked through those doors. Seeing hordes of young hot men dancing with each other, making out with each other, in public no less! I thought I'd died and gone to heaven I was that blown over. Brian took it all in stride of course. In typical Kinney fashion he adopted his 'they're lucky to have me' attitude. I remember he wore these really tight black leather pants. Just like the ones Rena got him for Christmas."

"I fucking love those pants! Brian makes me wear them all the time. They are so hot," Justin said smiling.

"Well they work that's for sure. Brian spent most of his first night here in the back room."

"Wow, his first night? This is my first night and you guys are the only ones who bothered to even talk to me!" Jordan said reminding the guys he was still there.

"And only because James bumped into you," Ted said annoyed.

Jordan's face dropped.

Justin shot him a look. "I'm sure there are plenty of guys here checking you out. They're probably just shy, that's all."

Jordan sighed. "Hey, I'm not stupid, or blind. I mean, look at these guys! They all look so hot with great bodies. Why would anyone look twice at me? I'm too skinny and not very attractive. I know that." Jordan looked over towards Brain and sighed dreamily.

The men chuckled catching the object of Jordan's yearning gaze.

"That guy is the most fucking awesome dude I've ever seen. Is he a movie star or something?"

"Or something," Emmett scoffed under his breath.

"What I wouldn't give just to dance with him." Jordan spoke his thoughts out loud. He turned to the guys and blushed when he realized what he said.

"That's Brian Kinney, and honey, his dance card is full. You should aim a little lower your first time out, baby. How about that guy?" Emmett said pointing over to a young man with blonde hair and big shoulders.

"He's hot," Emmett declared.

Jordan shrugged. "Yeah, but why would he want me?"

Emmett pressed his lips together. He was about to give Jordan his 'you've got a lot to offer' speech that he normally gives Ted, but decided against it. The boy was right. Most of these arrogant assholes wouldn't give a sweet kid like Jordan the time of day. He should know. When he first came to Babylon they treated him the same way. It wasn't until Brian showed an interest in him that other guys started taking notice. He tilted his head and looked at Justin.

"Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing," Justin said.

"Wait here," he told Jordan and went off to get Brian.

"Where's he going?" Jordan asked.

"He's going to ask that guy you're drooling over if he wants to dance with you," Emmett said.

Jordan's face went white. "Oh no, he can't! He'll just laugh in his face!" Jordan said in a panicked voice.

"Don't worry, twink, Justin can handle Brian," Michael said.

"What's a twink?"

"A twink, baby, is what we older guys call sweet little things like you," Emmett said throwing his arm around the boy.

"You know Michael is right," Ben said.

Ted, Emmett, James and Michael turned to look at him.

"About what?" Michael asked.

"We should not let Babylon go. We should buy it," he said shocking them all.

"I think that's a marvelous idea! But how can we afford it?" Emmett asked.

"If we all pool our funds together, with Brian and Justin's, we could become the owners. This way, kids like Jordan here, will always have a place to come to and know they are not alone."

"Oh my God, you're right! We have some money saved up, how about you Ted?"

"Sure, I got some money. I think this would be a great investment, provided we put Brian in charge. Let's face it, no one can run this place but him. It is, for all intents and purposes, his place."

They all agreed.

"Ohhhhh! I got a little money saved, I want in too!" Emmett said.

"Then it's settled. We'll talk to Brian and Justin about it tomorrow, at the diner," Ben said.

"I don't know what the owner wants for this place, but if you fall short, I'd be honored if you'd allow me to become a partner as well. I came out for the first time here at Babylon. It will always be a special place for me. It's where I met my Em," James said.

Emmett gushed and fanned himself frantically with his hands. "Oh, James, that is the most romantic thing you've ever said to me!" he said and threw his arms around James.

James stiffened, but let Emmett hug him. James never showed affection in public, but this was Babylon after all. If not here, where?

 

PART 2

 

"Hey."

"Hey."

"Fuck off," Justin told the guy dancing with Brian.

The dark haired, buffed man quickly danced away. Everyone knew when Kinney's twink came calling, it was best to get out of his way, and fast.

"What's up, Sunshine? Want to go home?" Brian asked wrapping his arms around Justin's neck.

Justin smiled up at him. "No, you're having a good time. I'm not ready to go home. But there is something I'd like you to do for me."

Brian pulled Justin up against him and grinded his cock against his.

"How thoughtless of me. It's been at least an hour since we've been to the back room. Let's go." Brian said then started pulling Justin towards the backroom.

"No, Bri, wait. That's not what I want."

Brian turned shocked eyes to his lover.

"Excuse me? I KNOW I just didn't hear you say you didn't want to fuck me," he said tongue in cheek.

Justin laughed. "Listen to me for a second, ok? See that kid standing over by Emmett?" Justin said pointing to the guys at the bar.

Brian looked over and furrowed his brow. "That skinny boy with the big nose?"

"Yeah. I want you to dance with him."

Brian made a face. "You're kidding, right? Why the fuck would I want to dance with him!" Brian asked sincerely.

"Because it's his first time here and no one will give him the time of day. If you dance with him, other guys will take an interest," Justin explained, as if he needed to.

Brian snorted. "You know I don't do pity fucks, or dances for that matter. Kid's gotta learn the hard way that life ain't fair."

"Brian! I can't believe you're being so mean. You'd be doing the kid a favor! You did the same thing for Emmett," Justin rationalized.

"Bullshit. I took Emmett home because he was fuckable. Period. I may not trick anymore, but I'm still very discriminative of who I pursue. I've told more guys then I can count to fuck off tonight. It's my hunt, I chose my prey and that kid is just that. A kid. I'm not wasting my time."

Justin was about to argue his point but then decided against it. He gave Brian one of his million watt smiles and pulled him down for a kiss.

"You're right. It was just an idea. You'd probably scare the shit out of him anyway."

Brian gave Justin a dubious look. His blonde was up to something. He was giving up way too easily.

Justin turned and headed back to the bar. There was more than one way to skin a "Cat" he thought…

"Well?" Emmett asked anxiously when Justin returned to the Bar.

"I was going to ask him to dance with Jordan, but decided I'd like to dance with Jordan myself."

Ted spit the soda he was drinking out. "Are you fucking serious?"

"Jesus, Justin, what are you up to?" Michael chimed in.

Justin ignored them and turned to Jordan. "Jordan, would you like to dance with me?"

Jordan smiled widely at Justin. The kid had a great smile. It brightened up his whole face.

"I'd love to!" he said eagerly.

Justin grabbed his hand and pulled him to the middle of the dance floor.

Brian watched Justin grab the boy and lead him on to the dance floor with a wary eye. What was his blond up to he wondered.

Justin started swaying to the music, moving closer to the kid with each seductive beat. The kid was obviously loving the attention. Justin then reached out and grabbed the kid by his waist and pulled him towards him.

Brian lost it. That fucking little twat! Ok, so he wasn't being reasonable. All night he danced and preyed on every hot fuckable piece of ass here tonight but he didn't fuck any of them! Justin grinding against that kid was as close to fucking as Justin got! HE didn't do things like that, Brian did!

Brian stalked over to them.

"Hey," Brian said to the boy.

Jordan turned terrified eyes to the gorgeous man standing behind him.

"Um, hey?" he said nervously.

"I'd appreciate it if you'd keep your dick away from my partner's."

They were starting to draw some stares. Justin smiled to himself. Perfect. He and Brian fighting over some twink. That should gain Jordan some points. Brian fucking Kinney jealous over some skinny kid? Oh yeah, Jordan was certainly going to gain some attention for this. If he could make the King jealous, he was certainly worth taking a second look at.

"Yo...urr'ee…Whaaat?" Jordan stuttered.

"My Partner," Brian said through clenched teeth.

"Brian, this is Jordan. He's hot, isn't he?"

Brian shot Justin a warning look. "You think he's hot?"

"Sure. He's eighteen. Probably a virgin. We can change that. I mean if we don't, I'm sure someone else would love to."

Brian's eyes narrowed. He knew what Justin was getting at.

Jordan thought he was going to faint.

"Um, now, wait a minute. I um, I don't think…" Jordan rambled.

"Don't worry Jordan. Brian will take very good care of you, just like he did with me. You see, when I first came to Babylon I had no clue as to what I was doing. I could have ended up with some real bad guy, I was so fucking clueless. Only God knows what could have happened to me. But then Brian saw me and took me home. I was lucky," Justin said, his eyes never leaving Brian's.

Brian sighed. "FINE." He grabbed Jordan by the hand.

Jordan followed like a deer caught in the headlights. Brian pulled him to the middle of the dance floor and started dancing with him.

Justin returned to the bar with a satisfied smirk on his face.

"You know he's going to make you pay for that, don't you?" Michael said.

"Yeah, I know, but look. It's worth it." Justin said nodding his head towards the dance floor.

Brian was dancing and talking intensely to Jordan. Everyone around them was watching, and, as Justin predicted, giving Jordan a much appreciative second glance.

"What's he saying to him? He looks very serious," James asked.

"He's giving him the 'speech'," Emmett said.

"You call it the speech? I always called it the lecture," Ted countered.

"For me it was more like rules," Justin said.

"Ah, I've heard of Brian's famous lectures," Ben said. "I only wish someone gave me the "lecture" before," he said solemnly.

Michael grabbed his hand and squeezed it reassuringly.

"So what is this speech, or lecture?" James asked.

"NEVER fuck without a condom," Emmett said.

"NEVER take drugs from strangers," Ted said.

"Always trust your gut instinct. If you feel the least bit uncomfortable with a guy, leave, immediately," Justin added.

"Oh, and don't forget, only trust your friends, but choose your friends wisely," Emmett concluded.

"Hmmm. Nice speech. And you think he's going to have problems raising teenage boys?" James said to Emmett.

Emmett sighed. "No, he won't. He's going to make a great father."

Justin beamed, but remained silent. He never doubted Brian's ability to be a great parent. He not only raised Mikey, he raised him as well. No kid could ask for a better role model.

Brian returned to the Bar with Jordan in tow. The kid looked shell shock.

Justin handed his beer to him. "You did good, kid."

Jordan took the bottle with shaky hands.

"Hey, want to dance?" The blond guy with the big shoulders Emmett pointed out earlier came up behind Jordan.

Jordan ignored him, not realizing he was talking to him.

"Stud, the man asked you if you wanted to dance," Brian said nudging Jordan.

Jordan choked on his beer and turned to face the guy.

"Um, sure."

Justin took the beer from his hand and pushed Jordan toward his new admirer. The two of them walked off to the dance floor.

Brian turned to Justin.

"Happy?" he asked raising his eyebrow.

"Always when I'm with you," Justin crooned and snuggled up to Brian.

"Nice try, Sunshine, but you are sooo going to owe me for this," he said grabbing his blond around the waist.

His cell phone rang. Brian took it out and looked at the number. It was Adam.

"Hey, this better be good," he said answering it.

"Well, I wouldn't call it good. I got a call from that social worker, Eliana. Jagger, your little cousin, got himself arrested. They threw him in Juvi. I can get him out, but only if they have someone to release him to. They'll only release him to a relative, and guess what? That's you."

"Mother fucker!" Brian screeched into the phone.

"What's wrong?" Justin asked placing his hand on Brian's arm.

"My newfound cousin is in jail."

"What the fuck did he do?" Brian spoke into the cell.

"Got caught soliciting an undercover cop for sex, and he had pot on him."

Brian pinched the bridge of his nose. Justin knew that move, this wasn't good.

"Where?"

"New York. I can get us a flight in the morning. There's nothing we can do tonight. He's going to have to spend the night in Juvi."

"Book it. Call me with the details later." Brian shut his cell.

Justin saw the look in Brian's eyes and grew alarmed. "What happened?"

"Jagger, my dear little THIRTEEN year old cousin, got caught prostituting. OH and he had drugs on him, too. He's THIRTEEN!" Brian yelled at Justin, as if it were Justin's fault.

"Ok, calm down. The kid had a rough life, Bri. You know his mother was a junkie."

"And I should care, why?" Brian asked sarcastically.

The guys wisely moved away from the arguing couple sensing the storm that was brewing.

Brian turned to the bar and ordered a shot of Beam.

"That's not going to help anything," Justin said.

"Oh yes it will. It will help me forget why the fuck I ever let you talk me into hiring that P.I. to begin with!" Brian said downing the dark harsh liquid.

"Fine. Then leave him in jail. Fuck him. Give him back to the state, but DON'T you fucking DARE blame me! You do have a choice Brian," Justin reminded him.

Brian cursed and ordered another drink.

"Yeah, well here's my choice. Tomorrow morning you and I are going to bail that demon child out of jail, then sign him over to the state. Him and his sister, who is probably just as much trouble as he is. Then we are coming home to raise our OWN kids. Peter and Johnny may be my wards now, but they can live with Joan. I'll hire someone to help if it comes to it, but I'm DONE taking in other people's kids. Related or not!" Brian said in all finality.

Justin remained silent. He knew Brian was venting. He certainly was entitled. But Justin also knew Brian too well to think he'd ever walk away from a young kid in trouble. It wasn't in his nature. When it came to kids, especially young boys, Brian had a soft spot. He was still mourning the lost boy inside of him. He would never let something bad happen to another kid if he could help it.

Brian could not save himself, or Andy, but if given the opportunity, he would move mountains to help a young boy in need. He was doing it with Peter, no matter what shit he was spouting, and he would do it with Jagger.

Justin turned to bar and order a shot of Beam for himself. It was going to be one hell of a long night.