Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

 

 

"I drove all night to get to you
Is that all right?
I drove all night, crept in your room
Woke you from your sleep to make love to you
Is that all right?
I drove all night

What in this world keeps us from falling apart?
No matter where I go
I hear the beating of our one heart
I think about you when the night is cold and dark

No one can move me the way that you do
Nothing erases this feeling between me and you
I drove all night to get to you
Is that all right?"

~ I Drove All Night (Celine Dion)

 

"Knock, Knock."

Seven a.m., right on time, as usual.

Justin sighed and reluctantly got out of bed and went to answer the door.

"Good morning!" Ronald said cheerily.

He had heard the bad news yesterday through the nurse's grapevine. Brian Kinney had quite a flock of admirers amongst the staff. The man may be in a coma, but that didn't stop the nurses from drooling over him.

They were absolutely heartbroken at the news his condition had worsened.

He had no idea what to expect this morning from Justin. Up till this point, he acted as if nothing was wrong. Ronald suspected he was able to maintain that façade because up till yesterday, at least there was hope.

Today that had vanished.

"Not today, Ronald, Brian needs to rest."

Ronald frowned. Poor kid, he's gone off the deep end.

"Justin? Can you tell me what day it is?" he asked, trying to gauge the extent of Justin's mental breakdown.

Justin looked at him oddly. "Of course I can! It's Monday. Why? Is something wrong with your memory?"

Ronald frowned and walked over to Brian. "No, but I'm concerned about yours at the moment. Brian has been resting for ten weeks now, Sunshine," Ronald said soothingly as if he were talking to a crazy person.

"Don't call him that." The voice came from the bed, a voice he had never heard before.

Ronald literally jumped back. His eyes shot to the bed. Brian lay there, unmoving, eye's closed.

"How the fuck did you do that?" He eyed Justin suspiciously. The kid obviously knew how to throw his voice, or something. Maybe he was a ventriloquist.

"See, now you woke him," Justin said then opened the door for Ronald to come in.

Ronald cautiously walked over to the bed and looked down at his patient. Brian opened one eye and peered up at him.

"Jesus, Mary and Joseph!" Ronald screeched grabbing his heart.

"HE'S UP!" he yelped.

"Yes "he" is, and HE does NOT appreciate you calling my partner Sunshine," Brian said.

Ronald gulped. "Um, sorry, Mr. Kinney, I just…wait a damn minute now!" Ronald floundered.

"HE'S UP!" Ronald said again.

Brian looked over at Justin. "Is there something wrong with him? He keeps repeating himself."

"This is Ronald, Brian. Your physical therapist. He's the one responsible for keeping your muscles toned during your sleep."

Brian smiled sexily at Justin. "Really?"

Justin blushed.

Brian turned to Ronald. "Great job on my arms, but my legs could have used more work. Sunshine had to ride me last night; my legs were too weak to hold me up."

Ronald's jaw dropped open. "YOU HAD SEX? Jesus, you can't do that!"

Brian cocked his brow. "Oh, but I assure you I can. And very well too, I might add. I'm so good in fact I'm surprised Justin didn't fuck me while I was out. I can literally do it in my sleep," Brian said with a great deal of bravado.

Justin laughed. "Don't think I didn't think of it," he teased.

Brian pushed himself up on his arms with much effort. He sat with his back resting against the headboard.

"Holy Shit! You lifted yourself up! That's great!" Ronald said, still shocked Brian actually came out of his coma, especially since the latest test results were so damaging.

"It would be even greater if you can get me standing, preferably walking."

"He tried to stand last night, but couldn't bear his own weight. I had to help him."

"Argghh!" Ronald threw his hands up.

"He can't be doing things on his own this soon! He's been out for…"Ronald paused and leaned over and whispered to Justin. "Does he know?"

"He knows he's been asleep for ten weeks."

Ronald stood up and huffed. "Well then he should also know his body needs time to adjust to moving on its own! Physical therapy helped, it will speed up his recovery, but he's rushing it! And having sex, what were you thinking?"

Justin shrugged. Funny, Brian asked him that same question when he first woke up.

"Brian has always done exactly what he wants to do, Ronald. He needed, um, activity when he woke, and he got it." Justin smiled sheepishly.

Justin was still on cloud nine. Having Brian come back to him was a miracle. He cried when Brian spoke to him, his words not really registering at the time. All he knew was that his love was awake. Brian gathered him in his arms and soothed him, assuring him he wasn't dreaming.

Justin sat up most the night answering Brian's questions. Brian was very anxious to know what happened, how long he'd been out, and if he had any permanent injuries, hence his attempt to get out of bed.

When that failed, amazingly enough, or not so amazing for Brian Fucking Kinney, he wanted to fuck. His legs may have been weak, but his arms and cock were strong as hell and he held Justin's hips as Justin rode him long and hard.

He fell asleep immediately afterwards, much to Justin's relief. Justin had managed to elude Brian's question "what the fuck were you thinking?" by breaking down and crying. After that, Brian was too consumed with wanting to fill in the gaps, and getting laid of course. Justin knew however Brian was not about to let that go. He obviously either heard Justin, or felt Justin's intentions to kill himself. He would have to explain himself to Brian sooner or later and Justin was not looking forward to that conversation.

Thank God Rena was coming at nine. It would buy him more time.

"Well, what's done is done. Right now, all that matters is YOU'RE UP!" Ronald said again.

Brian sighed. "There he goes again, repeating himself."

Ronald laughed. "Well this is a God Damned Miracle, that's what it is! I think celebrations are in order!"

Justin laughed. "Yes, they are, but not now Ronald. We haven't told anyone yet. Actually, you're the first to know."

They talked about calling Rena last night, but decided against it because Brian knew she'd be there in a flash, and he wanted a little time alone with Justin.

"Shit, you mean the doctors don't even know?"

"No, but we'll tell them this morning. So DON'T go blabbing. Not if you value your job," Justin said, his eyes narrowed.

Brian looked over at Justin with raised brows. Seems his little Sunshine has turned into a vicious tiger. Well, he could understand why. He's been protecting him. And nothing is more dangerous then a Justin protecting his man.

"Ronald, I'll tell the doctors when Rena gets here. You know they'll want to do a shit load of tests. I want my sister to know I'm up first before they haul me off," Brian said more gently.

Justin had the good grace to look embarrassed. He hadn't realized what a tyrant he must have been these past ten weeks.

"It's ok Mr. Kinney. As far as I'm concerned, I didn't get to this room yet. I started with Mrs. Kibler," he said then winked at him.

Justin fumed. "Out, Ronald."

Ronald cleared his throat and turned to leave.

"I'll be back tomorrow, with the Doc's ok, to get you started on physical therapy. Don't worry; we'll have you up and running in no time!" Ronald said turning back to look at Brian.

"Thank you," Brian said.

Justin ushered Ronald unceremoniously out the door, slamming it behind him. He then turned back to Brian.

"What happened to your WASP manners? You were pretty rough on him. That's not like you," Brian said.

"He's rude and he was flirting with you," Justin snorted.

"The man is straight as an arrow. My gaydar is still intact."

He patted the bed. "Come here."

Justin jumped into the bed and cuddled up to him. "I'm sorry, Bri, I just want you all to myself right now. I know this sounds bad, but I don't' even want Rena here. You've been gone so long…"

"Sunshine, listen to me. Are you listening?"

Justin looked up at him and nodded.

"I'm fine, I'm up, and I'm not going anywhere," he said, and then crossed his brow angrily.

"Not anywhere you won't follow, right, Sunshine…" He drawled out the name sarcastically.

Justin cringed. Brian was angry.

"Bri, I couldn't…"

"Bullshit. I don't want to hear it. Jesus, Justin! What the fuck were you thinking!" Brian fumed. "Here is a bit of truth you need to realize, I am going to die before you."

Justin tried to argue but Brian cut him off.

"No, I know it. Andy told me. But it's ok. It's how it SHOULD be. I doubt if it will be anytime soon. But when I do go I NEED you here! Our children will need you."

Justin looked at him curiously. "Children? You mean Gus and the baby?"

Brian rubbed his forehead and sighed. "Yes, I think…I don't know," Brian said then pinched the bridge of his nose.

Justin waited patiently for Brian to explain. He could feel Brian's uncertainty. Something had happened to Brian while he was in that coma.

"It's all a blur but when I was out, I saw a lot of things. I was half in half out of consciousness. At times, I felt completely here, in this room, and then other times, I was drifting, in limbo. I saw Andy…" Brian turned to look at the huge painting Justin had brought to their room.

"He likes the painting by the way. He says thank you," Brian said.

Justin smiled, tears filling his eyes.

"He also said he was sick of seeing me." Brian laughed looking at the picture.

"In my 'dream state', we walked a bit. I saw many images. Some I recognized from my past. But other images made no sense to me. I saw children, but I'm not sure if they were students from your school, or our children. God I hope they weren't OUR children. There were several, and they were trouble." Brian groaned.

Justin laughed.

"It was all very confusing. What's more fucking confusing is that I actually believe all this shit. My brain was probably just reacting to lack of blood and I was hallucinating," Brian rationalized and shook his head. He looked down on his blond.

Justin couldn't look more radiant. He was so happy to have him back. Brian's heart clenched. He knew how hard these past weeks were on him. Still, he had to be firm. This was something he was absolutely resolute about.

"My point is, you are NOT to follow me "there" Justin. Ever. I will never forgive you," Brian said determinedly.

Justin knew he meant it.

"You want honesty, Brian? Sure I can promise you I won't, but I don't know if I can keep that promise. I can't imagine my life without you."

"Justin, if it is true, that our souls are meant to be together, then it's only time. We will be together. But in THIS world, you must stay. For me. My soul would never rest knowing you were not there for our children. You are to stay and when your time comes, and believe me it will because no one escapes death, we'll be together again." Brian was terrified to know Justin would actually kill himself if he died.

Justin sighed and laid his head on Brian's chest. "Let's not talk about this, ok?"

Brian pushed Justin away. "NO!" He said. He had to make Justin understand how serious he was about this.

"I PROMISE you, that if I can't trust you to be strong, and have faith, a faith that you claim to have when it's convenient for you, and wait for us to be together instead of rushing the process, I will leave your ass now. Understand? I mean it Justin." He needed Justin to understand the severity of the situation.

Justin gasped. "YOU WILL NOT!" he denied angry tears in his eyes.

"Oh yes, I will! I want us to LIVE together Justin, not die together. Dying is easy; it's living that's hard. Carrying on the work, and the memory of the one you claim to love. You love me, Justin? Then live for me." His words were harsh, but he was unwavering when it came to this.

He wasn't a religious man but Andy was. And Andy believed with all his heart that if he killed himself, his soul would be lost in Hell or some shit like that. Brian didn't know the specifics, but he knew one thing, Andy was never wrong. He may not believe it, but Andy did.

And that was enough for Brian to fear for Justin's soul.

Justin just stared at him, shocked and hurt, but yet, deep inside, he knew Brian was right. It was an easy decision to die with Brian. It was too hard even thinking about living 'for' him. It was much easier to die with him. But that was selfish. If Brian died, he would have lived if for nothing else than to raise their baby, for in truth, no one would keep Brian alive for their child like Justin would. Brian was right. True love was living for someone, not dying for them. And living on after they were gone, keeping their memory alive.

Justin turned three shades of red before Brian saw understanding dawn in his love's eyes. He smiled. "Ok?" he asked.

"Ok, I promise. I'll live for you, Brian. Always." Justin said then threw himself in Brian's arms.

Brian looked over at the clock. Eight-thirty. Ahh, hell, Rena would be there in a half hour and Brian Fucking Kinney did NOT do quickies!

Well, maybe just this once…

 

PART 2

 

"I told you she needs to come home. Look at her! She looks like she hasn't slept in days! That man obviously can't take care of her." Brian said to Rena who was propped up on his bed next to him, clutching his hand in a death grip. She'd been in that position for the past several hours.

"That man is standing right here in the room if you don't mind. And I can take perfectly good care of my wife thank you," Adam retorted.

Rena smiled. All was right. Her brother was up, and he and Adam were sniping at each other.

Yes, her world was right again.

"Don't you DARE put that sandwich down! Finish it," Brian yelled over at Justin.

Justin guiltily picked up the tuna salad sandwich and took another bite. Brian was furious with Justin for not taking care of himself. Ronald was right, he'd lost about fifteen pounds during the time Brian was asleep. Brian had him on a three meals a day schedule now. He even incorporated Deb's help. She was bringing lasagna over later.

After his reunion with his sister, they had called the rest of the family to tell them the good news. Shane was the first. Justin had a long talk with Shane, apologizing for putting her in that position and assuring her that he would NEVER do something like that again. It was just a temporary moment of insanity he explained. Shane could certainly understand that. She was just happy that Brian was up. Everyone was ecstatic over it.

"The boy will fatten up in no time," James said smirking from the window.

Brian smiled over at James. The man literally saved his life. Justin believed James was some sort of guardian angel sent to first protect Rena, and then to save him. Brian saw no wings, but he certainly fit the description.

"Good. Then I won't be the only one getting fat around here!" Shane playfully complained.

"I think you'll look cute fat," Mikey said.

He was sitting on the other side of the bed, his Captain Astro comic book in his hands.

"You would. You also think Captain Astro can bring people out of comas," Brian quipped.

Michael blushed.

"I'm surprised I didn't wake up sooner just to avoid having to lay here and listen to you read another fucking issue of that comic! I thought you were my best friend? Wasn't' it enough you tortured me in high school by making me join your Captain Astro club?" Brian asked tongue in cheek.

"What torture? We were the only two in the club! And you loved Captain Astro!" Michael pouted.

"No, I loved you. I joined because I felt sorry for you," Brian said in a funny voice.

Adam laughed.

"Yeah, well I can't believe you heard me reading to you! That's so weird!" Mikey said.

"The whole fucking experience was weird. I'd sooner forget it if you don't mind."

"Brian is right. What's done is done; time to move forward. So when did they say you can get out of here?" James asked.

Brian was glad for the change of topic. "First they got to get all the test results back to make sure my brain isn't fried." He quickly turned to Justin "No comment from you," he warned, smiling.

Justin laughed.

"They should be in later tonight. If all is ok, I start physical therapy tomorrow. With any luck by weeks end I should be out."

"That's great," Emmett said nervously from the corner of the room where he sat. He hadn't said much at all since he got there. Brian frowned.

He turned to look at James. James sighed and shrugged his shoulders. Brian saw the tension in the man.

"Re, do me a favor, ok?" Brian asked.

Rena sat up. "Anything, what do you need?" she asked anxiously.

"I need you to let go of my fucking hand before you break it and go meet John for lunch," Brian said curtly.

Rena made a face and pulled away from him getting out of the bed.

"FINE! Ungrateful son of bitch. I'm going!" She said, but then smiled and leaned over and kissed his cheek. "We'll be back tonight."

"Great. Bring cake for Sunshine."

"I'm fucking eating already!" Justin complained, his mouth full of tuna.

"Good, now go walk Rena out." Brian then turned to James. "James, take Mikey over to that Thai restaurant on Antler Street and get me some food. This fucking swill is killing me."

They started him off on a liquid diet since his body hadn't had any solid food in ten weeks.

"Brian you can't eat anything solid for at least another 24 hours! You heard the doctor! And then only soft foods!" Michael scolded like an old mother hen.

That was his Mikey.

"Somehow I think I'll survive some noodles and hot and sour soup," he said to Mikey smiling.

Brian then turned his attention to Adam. "Adam, take Shane home. NO more work for you for the next few days."

Shane started to protest but Adam interrupted her.

"Look at it this way, fancy face. This is ONE thing Brian and I agree upon. You're coming home to rest."

Shane reluctantly gave in and promised Brian she'd be back later to see him.

"Fine, come back if you want. But I'm leaving strict instructions I don't want to see you."

Shane looked at him with blazing eyes. "Rena is right, you are an ungrateful son of a bitch!" she said, hands on her hips.

"Yes, and you're on the verge of exhaustion, and carrying a child. So hate me, but you will rest tonight."

That softened Shane's attitude a bit. She went over and kissed Brian's cheek. "Tomorrow?" she asked hopefully.

Brian laughed. "Ok, squirt. But not before noon. I mean it. I want you to rest, ok?"

"As if I have a choice. I'm sure Adam won't let me out of the house now that you are up."

She knew Adam was being very tolerant with her because he knew nothing could stop her from doing all she could to help out her family while Brian was in a coma, but now that he was awake, she knew all bets were off. If he had to, he'd tie her to the bed.

She smiled at that. Maybe she'd make him do just that, she thought remembering the last time he tied her to the bed. "Noon it is then."

Brian looked back over at James. He just literally threw everyone, including Justin, out of his room. Everyone that is except for Emmett.

James nodded his head understanding what Brian wanted, and was very grateful.

"Come on, Mikey, well get him some soft Thai food," James said grabbing Michael by the arm and dragging him out.

Emmett got up to follow them out.

"Em, stay with me."

Emmett looked like a deer caught in the headlights.

It hit everyone at once then what Brian's intentions were and they all made a hasty departure.

Justin was the last to leave. He turned to look at Brian with an expression in his eyes that said, "Go easy on him."

Once the room was empty, Emmett looked around, trying to find something to fix his gaze on. Anything but Brian.

"Fucking drama queen, get your ass over here," Brian said exasperated.

Emmett lowered his head and walked over to the side of the bed.

Brian reached up and grabbed him, pulling him down in the bed with him.

Emmett screeched loudly. "Brian, you're going to hurt yourself, what are you doing!" Emmett asked quickly sitting up in the bed.

Brian sat up and faced him. He reached his hand out and ran his finger along Emmett's cheek feeling the bumpy scar tissue there. "You look like fucking shit."

Emmett blushed and turned away.

Brian raised his brow. "What? No "fuck you, Kinney"?"

Emmett didn't answer. Brian sighed. "Em, knock the shit off. The martyr routine doesn't suit you."

That got Emmett's attention.

"Wha…wha…what?" he stammered, surprised and angry.

Brian raised his brow. " You heard me. You're walking around acting like a martyr, and personally, it's starting to piss me off."

Emmett's eyes shot daggers at Brian. "HOW DARE YOU?" His hands immediately flew to his mouth the moment the words left him. He was shocked that he just yelled at Brian. The man just got out of a coma, a coma he was responsible for putting him in.

"Oh fuck, I'm so sorry, Bri."

"Shut the fuck up already. I'm not going out with you looking like that. Get your face fixed."

Emmett started to cry.

"Fuck," Brian spat out. "Emmett, listen to me. Are you listening?"

Emmett nodded his head, tears streaming down his face.

Brian looked very uncomfortable. "This is not easy for me, so I'm only going to say this once." Brian took a deep breath. "Thank you."

Emmett stopped crying and tilted his head. Had the man gone insane? "I'm sorry, what did you say?"

Brian gave him a look. "You're seriously not going to make me say it again, are you?" Brian asked indignantly.

Emmett shook his head. "I don't understand? Thank you? What the fuck? Brian, you nearly died because of me!"

Well there it was, out in the open. Good start, Brian thought.

"Bullshit. Yeah, you were a stupid little twat keeping that letter from James. You should know better. You don't walk down dark alleys alone, you don't fuck with out a condom, EVER, and you don't piss off straight people, especially when they're in groups. BUT if you do, if you happen to fuck up once in a while, it NEVER justifies what Hobbs and his pal did to us."

Emmett knew Brian was right, but still, his actions did lead to Brian and Justin being put in danger.

"Bri, I almost got you killed," Emmett said quietly.

"What the fuck are you talking about? You saved my life!"

"Um, maybe you do have brain damage. I may have alerted you to the fact there was a gun pointed at you, but you still got shot."

"Exactly "I" got shot. Justin was spared. Like I said. You saved my life. Justin is my life."

Emmett choked up and started crying again.

"Or for fuck's sake. Must we go through this?"

Emmett threw his arms around Brian and hugged him. "I only wish it was me who got shot!"

Brian shook his head. "Not your job. It's my job to protect my Sunshine." He pulled back and smiled at Emmett.

"So, you'll get your face fixed; because there will be no trips to Babylon with me if you don't."

Emmett wiped his eyes, and straightened his shoulders. Brian saw a bit of the old Emmett creeping back in his eyes. "I'll have you know, Mr. Brian Fucking Kinney, that scarred or not, I can still get more men than you! Actually, this scar lends a bit of rustic appeal to my already devastatingly good looks, don't you think? I'm thinking of keeping it, just for a bit, mind you, milk it for all it's worth," he said then winked at Brian.

Brian laughed. "Fucking slut. Don't let James hear you talk like that."

Emmett feigned fear, in his typical over dramatic style. "Please, getting my face broken would be like a walk in the park compared to the torture James would put me through if he caught me fucking around again!" Emmett said with an over exaggerated shiver to his body.

"So does this mean you're not tricking anymore?"

Emmett gave him a shy look. "It means I'm not getting caught again."

Both men laughed.

 

PART 3

 

Justin returned to the room an hour later to find two laughing men sitting up in bed. He smiled. Brian had a way of making everything right for those he loved.

He walked in and shut the door behind him. Brian looked up at him and smiled.

Justin held up a candy bar. "See, I'm eating." Brian laughed and patted the bed.

Justin jumped in and pushed Emmett aside. The bed was big enough to fit an army.

"So, Em getting his face fixed?" Justin asked then took a bit of the bar.

"What, am I, not here?" Emmett huffed and grabbed the candy bar from Justin.

"Knock Knock."

"Come in!" all three men called out.

Joan opened the door only to be greeted by her son, in bed, with two men. She groaned and rolled her eyes. "Lord, I know you are testing me now," she said looking upwards.

"Mother Kinney! You weren't supposed to be released until tomorrow! I was going to pick you up!" Emmett said rushing to her side.

Brian's jaw dropped open. Emmett was fawning all over his mother like some hen pecked son! "Mind telling me how you two got so friendly?"

Joan stiffened her spine and approached her son. "Emmett has been a God send to me. He's visited me every day at the spa. Even your sister didn't visit every day!" She spat out then turned to Emmett. "They let me out on good behavior." Her features visibly softening when speaking to Emmett.

Actually, she looked great, Brian noticed. Fit, polished, and sober.

"Brian, I told you last night, remember? They wanted to put your mother in the detox center here but I didn't think you'd want her in that awful place, so I sent her to a private recovery facility," Justin explained.

"Still doesn't explain how she and Honeycutt got to be so cozy!" Brian bitched.

Justin gave him an odd look. He was acting the jealous son.

"Don't call me Honeycutt," Emmett said.

Justin whispered in Brian's ear. "Guilt," he explained. Brian nodded.

"So, did this facility help you?" Brian directed his question to Joan.

"Yes, it did actually. Though I fear I'm being tested now! There was great spiritual guidance there, and I had a lot of time to think, without any influences."

Brian cringed. Spiritual guidance was one thing Joan didn't need, he thought bitterly. "Another fucking group of bible thumpers." He growled. "I'm surprised they let Em in at all."

"Why wouldn't they? He is a child of God," Joan said shocking both Brian and Justin.

"One who's going to Hell, right, Mother?" Brian said sarcastically.

Joan had the good grace to look embarrassed. "I honestly don't know. But what I do know is that, that is God's decision. My job on this earth is to be kind and helpful to all of God's children, including myself and to atone for my own sins, not those of others."

That left Brian totally speechless. Maybe this place did teach her a few things.

She reached into her pocketbook and pulled out a letter and handed it to Justin.

"I'm atoning. Here, this is for you."

Justin recognized it. It was part of her 12-step program. Once clean, the addict writes a letter to all who were affected by their addiction, apologizing for the pain they've caused. Ted had given him and Brian a similar letter when he got out of rehab.

Justin took the letter from her. "Thank you." It was such a huge step, his heart swelled.

Joan nodded her head and looked at her son.

"What? No letter for me?" he said, his voice dripping with acrimony.

"If I had one, would you accept it?" she asked honestly.

"No," Brian said without hesitation.

The history between him and his mother was so deep and painful; a letter just wouldn't cut it. In fact, it would be an insult. He looked at his mother and saw she was thinking the same thing. He felt a twinge of respect and appreciation for her at least acknowledging she'd fuck up so bad it would take a lot more then a letter to make it right. If it was even possible for things to ever be right with them.

"I didn't think so. No, you and I will have the rest of what's left of my life to get to know each other. I know you'll resist me at every turn, but you are going to find out quickly how determined I am." She said then did something so out of character, Brian laughed.

She smiled.

"Uh oh, Bri, do you think she can be as tenacious as Justin was?" Emmett teased.

Brian threw a pillow at him.

"Wait, you said God was testing you? How?" Brian asked suddenly remembering Joan's little 'prayer' for strength just a moment ago.

"It's one thing for me to be accepting of your life choices Brian, but TWO men in bed! Honestly…!" Joan admonished then turned to Justin.

"And YOU young man, I expected better from you!"

Justin laughed. "I assure you Mother Kinney it's not what it looks like."

Brian groaned.

"You have a son now, Brian. A son you promised to bring to see me by the way."

"I'm doing my part to set a good example, you do your part!" she said narrowing her eyes.

Brian made a face. "Ok, I must still be in a coma. She's NOT giving me parenting advice is she?" Brian said scowling.

Justin frowned at him. "Stop," he said then turned to Joan.

"Don't worry, Mother Kinney, we'll behave. Especially now that we'll be full time parents with the new baby."

It was Joan's turn to drop her jaw. "WHAT?"

Oops…Justin had forgotten to tell Joan about the baby with everything that's happened.

"I'm sorry, with Brian's accident and you in reh… um, the recovery facility, I didn't get a chance to tell you. Brian and I are having another baby."

Joan narrowed her eyes at her son. "Are you SURE you're gay? You have more children then straight people!"

Emmett burst out laughing.

Joan shot him a reproachful look and Emmett tried to rein in his mirth.

""Well, I'm not surprised," she sighed. "It runs in our family."

Brian looked at her confused. "What do you mean it runs in our family?"

"Didn't you read the contents of that box I gave you?"

Brian had totally forgotten about the box she'd given him at his 'intervention'. It had some old photos and letters she wanted him to keep in memory of her gay brother, Aidan, who was murdered. He remembered it being a shocking revelation at the time.

"I really haven't gotten a chance to look in it, why?"

"Your Uncle Aidan, who was also gay, had a daughter. She was born the year he died. He never got to see her. The mother took their baby and moved away when Aidan was killed. WE never heard from her again.  I have a niece, and you a cousin, that neither of us has ever met," she said, shocking them all.