Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

 

 

 

"Synergy — the bonus that is achieved when things work together harmoniously."

~ Mark Twain

 

 

Shane threw her cigarette down onto the pavement and crushed it beneath the toe of her boot-clad foot. Well, there was another vice she was going to have to give up, she thought.

She shoved her hands into her fur lined leather jacket and leaned against the car. It was nearly time to go to the airport and pick up Brian's surprise guest. But first, she needed to talk to Adam.

She had called him this morning and asked to him to meet her here, in this deserted parking lot. She did not want to have this conversation at the airport, and Brian told her to stop putting it off and get it over with, now. He was right; she'd been procrastinating far too long.

The parking lot belonged to an old abandoned apartment complex. God it was a sight, not exactly the kind of place you want to remember being at when first hearing you were going to be a father, but it was better than the airport, and it was only about five minutes from there.

She chose this site because it was secluded. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but she was starting to have her doubts. The place was truly dismal.

The decrepit building was depressing the shit out of her. Half the windows were missing, the other half broken. Old brick and mortar crumbled to the ground with each gust of wind. The old gal had seen better days, that was for sure.

Much like her.

The chilly December air whipped around her, bringing her thoughts away from the sorrowful state of the building, and on to her own present condition. She welcomed the icy feel against her skin. The cold air, for some reason, made her feel less nauseous. At this point, she'd take whatever relief she could find, wherever.

The God-awful nausea wasn't letting up. Rena said it would end in a week or two. She doubted she could last that long. In addition to the vomiting, her emotions these days were all over the place.

A good example was her standing in the middle of a deserted parking lot, bemoaning the loss of some dilapidated building. God she was pathetic.

She heard a low revving noise in the distance and turned her head towards the sound. Adam's car was approaching. Just the sight of his car made her heart flutter. She really missed him. She didn't even realize how much until just now, seeing him speed towards her.

He came barreling into the parking lot like he was fucking Mario Andretti, ending in a screeching halt right next to her car. He jumped out so fast he nearly slammed the door shut on his overcoat.

Shane laughed, then sobered up when she saw the look on his face.

He approached her and reached for her arm. Jerking her around to face him, he started unzipping her jacket.

"What the fuck are you doing!" Shane demanded, trying to push his hands away unsuccessfully. "It's fucking freezing out here!"

"Take this fucking jacket off right now, Shane, and show me your arms!" Adam screamed at her, anger and fear etched into his face.

Shane looked at him stunned. "You think I've been cutting again?" she asked in disbelief.

"I don't know what the fuck to think!" Adam wailed almost hysterically. "You don't talk to me for weeks! Rena won't tell me what's going on, Brian won't tell me. What am I suppose to think?" Adams voice was raw with frustration.

Shane felt ashamed. She never intended for him to worry like that. It wasn't like he didn't have good reason.

"I told you I wouldn't do that again," she said in a quiet voice.

Adam studied her with a worried look. "What's wrong, Shane, tell me. I know something is wrong."

One single tear slipped from her eye.

Adam thought his heart would stop.

"Don't do this to me, Shane. I've got all sorts of horrible images running through my head, for God sakes, just tell me!"

"I'm pregnant," she said quietly.

" Rena and Brian wanted me to tell you weeks ago, but I, well…" Shane took a deep breath. "I'm telling you now," she said, and prepared herself for his reaction.

Adam stepped back, stunned. Shane saw the shock, then wonder flit across his face, but then just as quickly, those emotions were replaced by anger.

He shoved his hands in his pocket and glared at her. "Ok, I'm sorry. Say that again. I don't think I heard you correctly. Of course I misunderstood, right, Shane?"

Shane just stared at him, confused at his response. She expected the anger, and disappointment. But deep inside there was a small part of her that wished he would actually be happy. He almost looked happy, for a second.

But this… this… derision was totally out of left field. He was in total sarcasm mode. She thought Adam many things, but cruel, was never something she'd consider him. Until now.

She was about to tell him to fuck off, permanently, when he continued.

"Because I know that you would NEVER withhold something so monumental from me for how long? Two weeks? My God, Shane! You should have told me immediately! Why would you keep my child from me?" This time, Shane saw past the anger and sarcasm to the deep hurt he was feeling.

A surge of hope rose up inside of her at his words…"my child."

"Adam, calm down, I just needed time."

"For what?" Please tell me you weren't considering…" His voice cracked, preventing him from finishing his thought.

Shane's jaw dropped. "Oh God, no, I mean, yes, I mean, just for a brief minute, but I would NEVER, you have to believe me, Adam. It's your baby, how could I do that? I can't get you out of my system, why would I want you out of my body?" Shane pleaded with her eyes.

Adam stood there staring at her, his hands still in his pockets. Total joy and relief flooded his body. Shane was having his baby. He wanted nothing more right then than to grab her and squeeze her tight, pouring all his excitement and love into her. But he couldn't. Truth was, he was too afraid to touch her. Pregnant women scared the shit out of him.

He was forty, and had never been in this position before. He had no family other than some distant relatives he barely saw. And neither his ex wife or mistresses were ever in that position. He spent little time in the presence of expectant mothers. Anytime there was a pregnant woman in his presence, which was rare, he always kept his distance. There was something so magical about them; he thought of them as walking miracles.

As cynical as he was about human nature, the sight of a woman carrying a child always humbled him. And it reaffirmed his faith in God. Of course, no woman he'd ever been with ever wanted to have his child. He felt it was a testament to his character, one well deserved unfortunately.

Shane was different though. Shane saw him, warts and all, and loved him despite it all. He could be himself with her; he didn't need his portfolio to speak for him. He knew he didn't deserve her, but God he had wanted her from the beginning. Even when he thought she was a boy.

"Um, well? Do you want to say anything? I know this must be a shock, but some kind of reaction other than anger at not being told sooner, would be appreciated right about now." Shane said, getting more nervous by the second.

It was like Adam didn't want to be near her now. It confused the hell out of her. By his words, and expression, she would guess he was thrilled, once he got past the hurt of not being told right away. Yet, he stood there, not moving.

Adam cleared his throat. "Don't laugh, ok?"

Shane gave him a quizzical look. "Laugh?"

"I know I'm a lawyer, and I'm suppose to be this super smart guy and all, but truth is, I've no fucking clue about expectant mothers. I mean how fragile are you right now? I don't want to hurt the baby."

Shane threw back her head and laughed.

Adam scowled. "I ASKED you not to laugh!" he said petulantly.

"I'm sorry, Adam, but you are so fucking adorable! Mr. high power, take no prisoners lawyer, who has a history of making grown men, grown BAD men cry, is afraid to touch his pregnant girlfriend. You don't find the humor in that?"

"No, I don't." She still had not told him how he should approach her. "Listen, I know how important the first few months are. I'm not stupid. I HAVE read many articles on the topic you know."

His words only made Shane laugh harder. "You read about pregnant women?" she asked between bouts of laughter. Have you ever fucked one, Adam?"

Adams face went white. Shane almost felt guilty, but she could only laugh even more.

"Stop fucking around, Shane. I'm serious. I'm not going to do ANYTHING to jeopardize the health of our baby. And if that means no fucking, then you'll just have to blow me for the next nine months."

That stopped Shane from laughing.

Adam threw her a satisfied look.

"Ok, that wasn't funny."

"Seriously, I don't want to hurt you, and right now, I'm so fucking excited I feel like picking you up and swinging you around. A baby, Shane, OUR baby!" He said pure joy and wonder in his voice.

Shane's heart melted. He may be able to restrain himself, but she couldn't. She ran towards him and jumped into his arms, wrapping her legs around his waist.

He grabbed her and held her tight. He buried his face in her neck and breathed in deep, trying to get his emotions under control.

Shane cried. She did that a lot lately. "Oh, Adam, I'm so glad you're happy. I'd truly have to kill you if you weren't you know."

Adam let out a choked laugh. He set her down gently and looked into her eyes.

"Happy? Jesus, Shane, I'm fucking blown away. It's like a dream. We're having a baby. I can't believe this is happening."

Shane marveled at the look on Adam's face. He was glowing; one would think HE was pregnant.

"Me neither. So, what now?" she asked hesitantly.

"You're asking me? Jesus, Rena's a doctor, what does she say? How does this work?"

"How the hell would I know? I've never been pregnant before."

"Ok, well I know the basics, but the whole 'stages' thing is foreign to me. Do you know how far along you are?"

Shane shrugged. "I figure about five weeks. That was the last time we fucked. I have a doctor's appointment next week."

"OK, then that's where we start. I'll draw up a list of questions for the doctor. First, I'll do some research on my own and…"

"PLEASE tell me you're not going to treat this like one of your cases!"

"Listen, fancy face, it's what I do best. Prepare for the trial. In this case, prepare for the birth. You'll see, by the time the baby comes, I'll be an expert," Adam said confidently.

Shane sighed. "Fine. You be the expert, I'll just push the kid out," she said and made a face at him.

Adam drew her into his arms.

"And what about us?"

It was Adam's turn to laugh. "You really are dense sometimes. What part of I love you didn't you get the first time I told you? Or do you think I say that to every boy I fuck?"

Shane smiled and playfully slapped him. "Hey, you liked me as a boy."

"Well, boy or girl, the question needs to be answered by you, fancy face. I'm here and I intend to stay here. If it were up to me, we'd fly to Vegas tonight and get married. It's your family that's the issue. The ball is in your court. My balls actually. Are you going to stand up to Brian and marry me?"

Shane's breath caught in her throat. "Marry? Jesus Slatter, I don't think the situation calls for such drastic measures!"

He caught the twinkle in her eye. "You little minx. You're teasing me aren't you?" Adam leaned in and nipped at her neck.

Shane squirmed in his arms and giggled.

"Oh, you think it's funny to torment me huh? Ok, forget I asked. I wouldn't marry you now if you begged me."

"How about if I blow you?"

Adam groaned. "Babe, I'd fucking marry Brian if you'd blow me right now."

Shane laughed. "Ok, I'd pay money to see that proposal."

"So? What's your answer?" Adam asked sobering up.

"I'll make a lousy wife you know."

"I'm not exactly great husband material either."

"I can't cook."

"Me neither."

"I'm a lousy housekeeper."

"I have a housekeeper."

"I'm too stubborn by any means, we'll fight all the time."

"That's a given."

Shane tilted her head and studied him.

"And knowing all this, you still think we should marry?"

Adam just nodded, his eyes conveying all his feelings.

Shane sighed. "Well considering how unsuitable we both are for marriage, it seems the only logical thing to do."

"My thoughts exactly," Adam said bringing his mouth down to capture hers in a deep, passionate kiss.

When he finally released her, he buried his face in her hair and pulled her in tight against his body. They stood there, drinking in the moment.

"How are you feeling?" Adam broke the silence, concern heavy in his voice.

"Horrible. I am constantly nauseous. I can't hold anything down. But Rena said that should pass."

Adams hand trailed down to her stomach. "God I hope he doesn't have my disposition," he said looking down at her stomach.

"Yeah, well SHE probably does. She seems to be intent on tormenting me. Much like her father."

Adam laughed and kissed her again. "Come on, let's go. It's freezing out here. I'm taking you home, then we're going to celebrate."

"Fuck! I can't. I have to go pick up Brian's surprise guest for Justin's party tonight," Shane said pulling away from Adam. She took her car keys out from her pocket

"Wait, I'll go with you," Adam said taking the keys from her. "I almost forgot about the party tonight. We both have to be there." Adam opened the passenger side door for Shane.

"Yeah, I know. Brian's got this whole big thing planned. I'm telling you, it's fucking weird, Adam. I don't like it one bit. Especially since I found out who I'm picking up at the airport. I hope this doesn't ruin Justin's party."

Adam got into the drivers side and turned the key in the ignition.

"Brian's been carefully planning for tonight. I can't believe he'd do anything to spoil the night's events. Who did he invite?"

He didn't understand why Brian would do anything to jeopardize his plans. The papers he had drawn up for Brian were pretty clear in their intent. This 'celebration' would most definitely please Justin.

"It's not who really, but why that concerns me."

Adam looked sideways at her as he pulled out of the lot.

Shane sighed. "It's a long story. I'll tell on the way."

Five minutes later they arrived at the Airport. Shane had explained the situation. Adam was more confused then ever. What the fuck was Kinney up to?

 

PART 2

 

"Honey, put those flowers by that column over there," Emmett directed one of the hunky wait staff Michael and Ben had hired for the party.

He walked over to Michael, who was standing by the bar, giving instructions to the bartender. "I am defiantly taking one of these hotties home tonight. Where ever did you find them?" Emmett asked, ogling the young men as they prepared for the party in their way too tight tuxedo pants.

"Hey, I thought you and James were an item now?" Michael teased.

Emmett made a rude noise. "Why should I be loyal to him? Has he called me once? No. I don't even know where he is!" He turned around and leaned the back of his elbows on the bar. "Brian and Rena say he's away on business. You know, the covert undercover type. For all I fucking know, he's undercover with some trick."

"Em, come on. You know James isn't the type."

"Do I? Apparently I don't know much about him at all."

Michael heard the hurt in his voice. "Well, if Rena say's its business, I'd believe her. I've known her a long time Em, she wouldn't lie."

Emmett just made a face.

Deb called over to them from the banquet table. "Hey you two, stop the chit chatten' and get over here and help me and Vic."

The hotel staff was setting up the sternos for the chafing trays. . The party was to begin in an hour. Everything looked perfect. Well, perfect according to what Brian wanted.

There were blue and white-checkered tablecloths covering the tables, adorned with centerpieces of sunflowers and daffodils.

In contrast, large ornate elegant floral towers flanked the sides of the long banquet tables, which were covered with expensive black and white linens.

The food consisted of cracked crab, caviar, cold lobster, lasagna, calamari marinara and macaroni and cheese. The bar was stocked with Krug Clos De Mesnil champagne at $750 a bottle along with soft drinks and apple juice.

The whole theme, as Emmett put it, was 'a little bit Country, a little bit Fifth Avenue'.

It was the perfect marriage of simplicity and sophistication. Much like Justin and Brian.

"Did you hear who Brian invited?" Lindsey came over to the table carrying Gus who looked absolutely adorable in the Ralph Lauren outfit Brian had bought him. Adorable and uncomfortable. Lindsey had removed the tiny blazer, and rolled up the sleeves to the dress shirt, but Gus was still fidgeting.

Michael threw her a warning glance, which she ignored of course.

Deb snorted. "Yeah I heard. I just don't get that boy! Why would he do that to Sunshine? And Rena threw him such a great party this afternoon." She sighed and shook her head. "Why the fuck would he go through all this trouble just to ruin this one?"

"Ma, don't jump to conclusions. Let's wait and see what happens, ok?"

"How can YOU say that after what he did to you at your thirtieth birthday party! He threw it for you, only to humiliate you! True, he did it for your own good, but did he have to do it on your birthday?"

"That's how Brian operates, Ma. We all know that."

"Now wait, you're all assuming Brian's going to humiliate Justin. None of us knows what the situation is here. I say lets reserve judgment." Vic said, as always the voice of reason.

Deb huffed.

"Reserve judgment on what?" Jennifer said joining the crowd. She, too, looked amazing in her cream colored T length designer dress. It was simple and elegant.

In fact, everyone was dressed to the nines. It was one of Brian's requests.

"On the 'surprise' guest." Deb said.

"I'm especially surprised at you Jen. Did you know he was going to do this?" Deb asked in an accusing tone.

"Of course I did. He consulted with me first."

All eyes turned to her in shock.

Vic smiled. "See, I told you. Only Jen knows the situation, the rest of us will just have to wait and see how the evening unfolds."

"I know Brian better than anyone, and I'm telling you, this won't bode well," Lindsey predicted. She almost seemed gleeful.

Michael sighed. He didn't know what Brian's plans were, but he DID know Brian was very nervous about this party.

He was unusually quiet at Rena's house earlier. Justin was thrilled, of course. Rena threw him a great party. He was already in a good mood when he arrived and his mood just got better as the day progressed. They all bought him gifts. Actually, they all bought him two gifts. One for the first birthday party, and another gift for his second party tonight.

Brian insisted Justin have no clue about the party tonight, so they had to make the party that afternoon look real. And it was. Complete with gifts and cake. Now a few hours later, they were preparing for another party. One Brian was throwing for him.

It was confusing the hell out of all of them. Why Brian felt the need for Justin to have two parties was, to say the least, very out of character. But they all went along. Each had their own suspicions.

Vic was walking around with this secretive, knowing smile on his face. Ben said it was a wonderful thing Brian was doing, but Michael, being on the receiving end of one of Brian's surprise parties, had his reservations.

He never doubted Brian's love for him, but sometimes, that love hurt. Brian would do whatever necessary for someone he loved, if he thought it was for their own good. Like he did to Michael on his thirtieth birthday when he outed him. Michael didn't talk to Brian for weeks after that fiasco. It was Justin who eventually got them back together.

He hoped with all his heart he wasn't planning something like that with Justin. Justin was sure to freak if that was the case. And if the surprise guest was any indication, it was déjà vu all over again. Only this time, Michael didn't think he'd be able to return the favor and bridge the gap something like that would create between those two. They fought as fiercely as they loved.

 

PART 3

 

"You know, Daph, this is the perfect ending to a perfect day." Justin all but gushed; he was floating on cloud nine. The day couldn't have gone better. It was the best birthday Justin had ever had.

It started with his birthday gift from Brian. A bottle of Vera Wang for Men. He knew Brian gave it to him as a symbol of them being a couple. It was a HUGE step for Brian. Justin smiled as he remembered the fucking fabulous sex that followed.

As if that weren't enough, Rena throws him this amazing party. There was cake and presents. Gus's gift was the best. He gave him a picture he had drawn of Justin, himself and Brian together. Justin was wearing a party hat in the picture. The kid was really talented. Ok, so maybe he was a bit biased, but hey, he was entitled.

Even Margot had behaved and gave him a birthday gift. A personalized birthday wish card from Barbara Streisand. Emmett almost had a heart attack over it. Justin had to promise him that he'd let him borrow it on weekends just to get him to calm down.

The only fly in the ointment was Brian's unusual silence. Though Justin knew Brian well enough to know that he was probably just on 'hetero rituals' over load. He had asked him at one point if he wanted to make the announcement about the baby at the party, but Brian had said it wasn't the right time. He said he'd let him know when the right time was.

When Daphne told him she was taking him to Rick Van Hussen's art exhibit tonight, he was thrilled. Not only did he love Hussen's work, the man was a fucking genius, but it would give Brian a break from all the 'family festivities and activities'.

Brian was true to his word. He was changing, but at too rapid a pace. Justin knew Brian needed to blow off some steam before it became too much for him. He had 'set up home' with Justin, got his full parental rights back to his son, stopped drinking, well cut back anyway, was planning to have a baby with him, making renovations to his loft to accommodate his children, and now submitting to giving birthday gifts and enduring three verses of that dreaded song, "Happy Birthday to You" at his sister's house.

Their relationship was turning too quickly into a Norman Rockwell painting. And that was NOT Brian. Nor did Justin ever want it to be Brian.

Justin had cheerily kissed him goodnight after the party and headed out with Daphne.

He knew Brian would probably go off to Woody's, or maybe Babylon and reaffirm his non-conformist stature by hooking up with every hot guy in the place. Justin didn't care though.

He knew when he came home tonight; they were going to put in some serious fucking time. Brian needed it. Who the fuck was he kidding? HE needed it.

Justin sighed audibly. Life didn't get much better then this he thought.

A man passed him by and eyed him salaciously. This one didn't even try to conceal his lust.

"That's the third one you know," Daphne said.

Justin just smiled. He had to admit, he was getting a lot of attention tonight. If he weren't modest, he'd say almost as much attention as Hussen's art was getting.

He was all in black tonight and looking very hot. Brian loved him in black. Actually, he had picked out the outfit Justin was wearing.

He had on the black Malik shirt Brian had bought him in New York, tucked into a pair of black wool Armani slacks, complete with a matching black jacket that was tailored to his form. It, too, was part of the wardrobe Brian bought him when they were in New York.

Justin smiled at the memory of Brian dressing him up that day. He was like a kid playing dress up with his favorite Ken doll. Justin made a mental note to buy Brian the blond version Ken doll for Christmas.

"Hey, Casanova, where'd you go?" Daphne asked, bringing Justin out of his thoughts.

"Oh, sorry, Daph. Was just thinking about something."

"Hmmm…my money says that 'something' was Brian."

Justin flashed her a brilliant smile. "Have I told you lately how much I adore you, Daph? This is the best present! God, look at his work! Have you ever seen such form? Such clarity?"

"Such hot asses?" Daphne said as she craned her neck to look over Justin's shoulder at some guy who walked by.

Justin laughed. "Yeah, that too."

Daphne smiled up at him. "So, good day, right?"

"Very good day," Justin said and leaned over to kiss her on the cheek.

"Well the day's not over yet!"

Justin gave her a curious look.

"Hey, there's Hussen, let's go introduce ourselves," Daphne said.

Justin turned to look at the artist. The man was a troll. He stood maybe 5'2" and was not very attractive. Though one could look past all that once they saw the beauty of his work.

"Cool," Justin said and took Daphne's hand.

"Ring…Ring…"

"Shit, that's my cell. Hold on," Daphne said pulling her hand out of Justin's. She looked at the incoming number. It was Brian. She took a deep breath and prepared for her role. She flipped the phone open and put it to her ear.

"Hey, Cari, what's up?"

"Very good Daph. You've got 20 minutes to get him here," Brian said.

Justin heard the odd conversation Daphne was having. It sounded like her friend Cari was in some sort of trouble.

She shut the phone and turned to Justin with an anxious look.

"I'm sorry, Justin, I have to cut out. Cari is in trouble, she wants me to come get her."

Justin raised his eyebrow. Something wasn't ringing true here.

"What kind of trouble?"

Daphne fumbled in her pocketbook looking for her car keys, averting her eyes as she talked. "She had a date tonight and thought she wanted to have sex with this guy, but now she's changed her mind and he's not being very cooperative. She's at the Empire Hotel. She wants me to come get her." She said as she retrieved her car keys.

"I'm sorry to have to cut our evening short. You can stay; I'll go get her. I'm sure this guy isn't really dangerous." Daphne knew her friend too well to think he'd ever let her go into a situation that might be dangerous.

"No fucking way. I'm coming with you. Let's go."

Justin grabbed her hand and led her out to the parking lot. Daphne smiled behind his back.

Yip. She was missing her calling. Fuck medicine, she should be an actress!

 

PART 4

 

Abigail Elizabeth Ann Preston-Dolton rose slowly from her chair to answer the knock at her hotel door.

She reached for her cane and straightened her shoulders, smoothing down her peach colored silk tunic before she attended to her caller.

She knew who it was before she opened the door. The young man had visited her a short time ago and convinced her to come here tonight. Not that she needed convincing. They thought her an old stubborn fool, ignorant to the ways of life. Little did they know.

But "He" knew. And he had the fortitude and character to approach her. He had already gained her respect.

She opened the door and was taken aback. She remembered how handsome he was from his last visit, but tonight, he was downright devastating. He was exquisite in his expensive black Armani suit, and blood red silk shirt. The man was way too good looking for his own good. Ah if she were only sixty years younger…not that it would matter she slyly reminder herself.

"Punctual," she said in form of a greeting.

Brian smiled at the woman.

"Well you know its common knowledge that we "serious young men" like to be on time. Especially when we have the pleasure of entertaining such a lovely, and may I add, stunning lady of your stature. Christian Dior?" Brian asked referring to Mrs. Preston-Dolton's evening attire.

She gave him a haughty look. "And here I thought you "serious young men" were well educated in high fashion," she lightly admonished. "Michelle Roth. Couture," she corrected.

Brian raised his eyebrow. "I'm impressed," he said in all sincerity.

Mrs. Preston-Dolton stepped aside and waved Brian in. He entered and turned to face her. "Are the accommodations to your liking?"

"Yes, thank you. Martha's room is acceptable as well," She said, referring to her personal assistant. Brian had made accommodations for them both. The woman never traveled with out her.

Brian nodded. "I'm glad. If there is anything you need, please…"

Mrs. Preston-Dolton startled him by laughing, causing him to stop, mid sentence."You're nervous."

Brian had the good grace to blush.

"How can I not be? In a very short time, you are going to be entering a world you are completely unfamiliar with. Agreeing to come is one thing, but actually being part of the celebrations, might offend your sensibilities, despite your resolve that it won't. You might feel differently once you arrive."

The old woman actually huffed, which was very out of character for her.

"Nonsense. Do you think I've not been around 'serious young men' before?"

Brian was about to answer when she interrupted him.

"We've had 'serious young men' in my family for years. It's just not discussed in polite company."

"My point exactly. For lack of a better word, you won't be in 'polite' company tonight. You'll be in the company of some of the finest people Justin and I know, but they are not blue bloods. And most of them are of the 'serious nature'," Brian explained. He truly found it amusing that she wouldn't use the word gay or homosexual. No, they were 'serious young men' or people of 'serious natures.'

"As serious as you?'"

Brian laughed. "No one is as 'serious' as me," he answered with a sexy smirk.

She gave him a brilliant smile and Brian was struck at the resemblance.

"Well then, I say it's time you escorted me to this celebration," she said and lifted her elbow for Brian to take.

Brian took her arm and led her to the door. He knew in his heart, he had made the right decision.

They walked to the elevator and stepped inside. Brian turned to her and smiled once the doors closed.

"Someone has great taste," he said. "Nice pearls…"