Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

 

"Ignorance makes for weakness and fear; knowledge gives strength and confidence. Nothing surprises an intellect that knows all things with a sense of discrimination."

~ Magdeleine Sable

 

Mel walked into the diner and sat down at a booth near the window. She looked around nervously to see if any of the gang was there. Only a few late morning stragglers lingered. She breathed a sigh of relief. 'Thank God,' she thought. She didn't need another scene with any of them. She picked up her menu and studied it, waiting for Kiki to come take her order.

Deb was working the morning shift but Mel was sure she wouldn't wait on her. Her "darling" son was not on speaking terms with her or Linds. As soon as he heard that they were refusing to let Brian see Gus he stormed to their house. They were expecting him. Stupid lap dog was baring his teeth and growling at them telling them how cruel they were. Lindsey almost caved. Thank God she didn't. It took Mel and Adam a lot of time to convince her that this was the best route to take. She didn't know how long Linds would hold out.

Mel threw the menu on the table in frustration. Their relationship was on shaky ground because of this mess. She loved Lindsey so much it hurt. A pain caused by that arrogant prick Kinney! Her heart ached with her lovers' obsessive devotion to another man. Mel was sick of playing second fiddle to Brian. Well no more she vowed. This time, Mel was going to fight back. This would be the test to the strength of their relationship. Lindsey was going to have to choose.

Mel was no idiot; she knew Lindsey was in love with Brian. She had never stopped loving him since college. It was always about Brian. Even Lindsey being out as a lesbian was about Brian. Brian was gay and out, so Lindsey had to follow suit. If not for Brian, Lindsey would have been content to play the dutiful daughter role and marry some man of her fathers' choosing, pop out a few kids and become a full fledge member of breeders' polite society- hiding her true identity probably for the rest of her life. Unless of course, that man was Brian. Then she'd be all too happy to hide her 'secret' desire to fuck woman. They'd been having this argument for the past ten years.

Of course Lindsey always vehemently denied it, insisting that she loved Brian as a "brother" and he had no real influence over her but Mel knew that wasn't true. A brother, HA! Just like Michael loved Brian as a brother. Such bullshit. If Michael hadn't found Ben and fallen in love, he would still be pining over Brian.

It wasn't that Lindsey didn't love Mel, she did. But there would always be a big part of Lindsey that belonged to Brian. Sometimes Mel wished Linds did hook up with Brian years ago. This way she could be over him by now. Brian would have crushed her, just as he had crushed everyone in his life who ever loved him, and she would have moved on. But as it stood, Brian had a hold on Lindsey that Mel resented big time.

What the fuck was it about Kinney that attracted so many people to him? He was arrogant, narcissistic and an asshole. Mel never liked him, or understood why so many people let him get away with his shit. Well she was one woman who wasn't going to let Mr. Brian Fucking Kinney get away with his shit! She was determined to fight him tooth and nail, and she had the perfect lawyer to do it.

She knew it was a bad idea to have Brian as a donor for Gus. But Lindsey wanted a baby, Brian's baby. She begged and cajoled Mel until Mel finally relented. What a big fucking mistake that turned out to be! When they agreed to have Brian as the donor, Mel never imagined Brian would actually want to be a father! It would interfere with his tricking and boozing for Christ sakes!

Since Gus had been born, Brian only saw him on the occasional weekend and holidays. True, he was very generous financially, but he was adamant that Mel and Lindsey be the parents, he was just the donor and financial support. Mel was fine with that arrangement. She loved Gus unconditionally. She was his mother! Now all of a sudden the prick wants his parental rights back? Mel was not going to allow it.

Lindsey was surprised and excited when Brian told her he wanted his rights to Gus back. That made Mel sick. She believed that Brian was growing up and wanted to be a "real" father which would mean that Brian would be in their lives even more.

Mel was revolted by that notion and shattered Lindsey's illusions really quick. She reminded Lindsey that Brian never had any interest in being a father until his sister came to town.

Rena had been over to their house more times than Mel cared for. She was constantly bringing gifts for Gus from his "Aunty Re". She was buying his affection and Mel resented it.

She and Lindsey fought big time over it. Lindsey thought it was wonderful that Gus had family that took an interest in him. Mel believed that "family" should mind their business. In the end though, it worked to her favor. She managed to convince Lindsey that Rena was behind Brian asking for his rights back because she wanted her greedy hands on their son. Lindsey bristled big time at that. As it was, Lindsey was jealous of Rena. Brian was spending less time with her and more time with Rena. She immediately saw the logic in Mel's thinking.

Then when Mel hired Adam and Adam confirmed Mel's theory, Lindsey agreed to go ahead with the counter suit. Adam was the one who suggested that they stop all visitations to Brian and Rena. He believed there was a risk that Rena would take off with Gus. The possibility wasn't that irrational.

Rena was truly obsessed with Gus. Lindsey told her that Rena confessed she could never have children and that Gus was the closest she would ever get to having one of her ownThose words came back to haunt Lindsey when Adam was planning out their case. Lindsey reluctantly agreed to no more visitations from Brian or Rena to keep Gus safe. It would be short termed though, Mel knew. Lindsey would never agree to keep Gus away from Brian permanently.

"Hey there, stranger! Haven't seen you in here in a awhile, how have you been, honey?" Deb startled Mel from her thoughts. She was smiling down at Mel, snapping her gum, and not missing a beat.

"Well, I didn't think I was welcomed here," Mel said defensively.

"Pssh!" Deb made the offensive noise.

"Listen here, sweetie; as long as I work here, you're welcome anytime! Don't let the fuckers get to you," she said and scooted into the seat opposite Mel.

"What the fuck do they understand about a mother's love? Fucking assholes. Yeah, my son, too!" She made a face.

Mel relaxed a bit. Deb smiled at her.

"Thanks, Deb, it's nice to know I've at least one friend left around here."

Deb made a face. "Honey, I don't take sides. You are ALL my kids!" She reached over and took Mel's hands into hers.

"How are you doing?" She asked, knowing this must be difficult on her and Lindsey's relationship.

Mel almost cried, her emotions on edge. "It's so hard, Deb. I don't know what to do. Lindsey is torn between Gus, Brian and me. Fucking Brian!"

Deb patted her hand. "Lindsey loves you, Melanie. Have faith. She'll come around,"

"I don't know, Deb. This case is going to get very nasty, and I'm not sure if Lindsey will stick by me!" Mel's eyes filled with tears.

Deb felt sorry for the woman. She was so full of hurt and anger, only it was directed at the wrong person.

"You know what you need?"

Mel wiped her eyes and grabbed a napkin from the napkin holder to dry her face. "I'm sorry, I'm just a little stressed."

"Of course you're fucking stressed! It's a bad situation all the way around."

Mel nodded and sighed.

"You need some time away together. The weekend is coming up; rent yourself a cabin up north, pack some flimsy lingerie, hell, don't pack any lingerie and have some fun along with a little romance."

Mel smiled uncertainly at Deb. She liked the idea of taking Lindsey away for a romantic weekend. Away from their problems, and more importantly, away from Brian's influence.

Right now Lindsey wasn't talking to Brian but that wouldn't last. Sooner or later they would talk, and Lindsey would give in to him. It would kill Mel if Lindsey chose Brian over her! She couldn't let that happened. She needed to reaffirm their love for each other. Deb was right. Unfortunately, it was not a good time.

"I'd love to, Deb, but we can't."

"Why the hell not!"

"We can't leave Gus with anyone, Deb. He has a doctor's appointment on Friday, a birthday party on Sunday and because of our situation we can't ask our babysitter to take him." Mel snarled that last part out.

"Sunshine?" Deb said.

Mel nodded.

"Well fuck that! I'll take Gus this weekend! I'm off anyway, and Vic and I would LOVE to have the little guy around! It will be fun! We can take him to the party. You take him to the doctors, and then bring him over to my house afterwards. You can get an early start Friday night. Have your bags already packed for the both of you and surprise her with the most fucking romantic weekend of her life! Don't even tell her, just surprise her," Deb suggested, enthusiastically.

For the first time since this whole mess started, Mel felt hope.

"Oh, Deb would you?"

"You bet your fucking ass I will!" Deb said and laughed.

Mel reached over the booth and gave Deb a big hug. Deb felt a twinge of guilt, but ignored it.

"Ok, now I'm going to bring your skinny ass a big plate of blueberry pancakes and you're going to eat the whole fucking thing! Then you are going to make arrangements for your romantic weekend." Deb got up from the booth. "And don't worry, hon, it will be our secret." She winked at Mel.

Mel smiled brightly at her. "You know what, Deb? I think today I WILL finish the whole plate!"

Deb snapped her gum, pinched Mel's cheek and turned to go place the order.

The kitchen door swung open wildly as Deb entered.

"Hey, Deb, phone call," Charlie, the short order cook, yelled out.

"Got it! I need a blueberry pancake special!" Deb ordered and walked over to the phone on the diners' kitchen wall.

"Yeah." She said abruptly. Deb hated to be interrupted at work

"Deb, it's me," Justin said.

"Sunshine! You have perfect timing," Deb said, smiling into the phone.

"I'm not so sure about that,"

Deb heard the worry in his voice. "What's the matter, Sunshine? You having second thoughts?"

"I just came back from Joan's. She's coming Saturday night."

Deb made a low whistling sound. "You don't fuck around do you, Sunshine?"

Justin sighed. "I'm not sure I'm doing the right thing, Deb, this could really backfire big time."

Deb turned to face the wall and lowered her voice. "You listen to me, Sunshine, you ARE doing the right thing. I'm ashamed I didn't think of it myself. We all believed he was so strong, that he could take care of himself and all of us and damn the world. Well, shame on us! Especially Michael. He knew what Brian went through and the hell he's been living." Deb's voice got rough with emotion and tears formed in her eyes. "Damn stubborn man hid it too well."

When Justin told Deb of his plan, she immediately supported him. The boy was very brave. To do what he was doing took a lot of courage and love. Brian was a very lucky man, she only hoped he wouldn't forget that come Saturday. If Brian felt cornered, he would lash out and Justin would be his main target. The boy was doing it right though, he had the support of the whole family, well almost the whole family. This whole fucking mess with Lindsey and Mel couldn't come at a worse time, but Justin was right. He couldn't put this off.

"Deb, you can't blame yourself, or Michael. Michael loves Brian blindly. He may prove smarter than me. He knows the chance I'm taking. He lived with Brian trying to kill himself before, he'd never risk it again," Justin said, guilt and fear washing over him.

"Now don't you DARE fucking start having doubts, Sunshine, you hear me!" Deb scolded.

"I have a lot of doubt, Deb, but I won't back down. I believe in my heart he needs this. Have you talked to Lindsey yet?"

Deb smiled over the phone. "Better than that, Sunshine. I just spoke to Mel. Guess who's babysitting Gus this weekend?"

"No fucking way!" Justin said then laughed. "You're something else, Deb, how the fuck did you manage that?"

"Well, we women know how to handle these things."

"You have no idea how wonderful this is. It will definitely make this a whole lot easier on Brian if he has his son near. You're the best, Deb, have I told you that lately?"

"Yeah, yeah. I know. I have to admit though, Justin, I do feel sorry for Mel."

Justin was silent. He was too angry at Mel and Lindsey to have any kind of sympathy for them at the moment.

"You know, Sunshine, that at some point, you boys are going to have to make nice with them."

"I know. Eventually this whole mess will work itself out. I don't believe Lindsey will keep Gus away from Brian forever, but right now I'm more concerned about Brian."

Deb sighed. "Me too, Sunshine, me too."

"Deb! Pancakes are up!" Charlie called out.

"Listen, Sunshine, I gotta run. We'll see you Saturday night; I'll come an hour early with Gus and of course, I'll bring lasagna. It's Brian's favorite."

Justin wanted to kiss her. Deb had been unbelievably supportive. Actually, everyone had been very supportive. It warmed Justin's heart to see how much Brian's little family loved him, and how much they were willing to do for him. Deb, though, was his rock through all of this.

"That will be great, Deb. Brian could use the time alone with Gus before the rest of the gang gets there. I'll see you then."

"Bye, Sunshine, and don't worry!" Deb said and hung up the phone.

Blueberry pancakes. Deb picked up the plate and headed back into the diner. Mel sat there looking very chipper. She felt that twinge of guilt again, then pushed it away. She hated deceiving Mel, but it was for a good cause. The girls would get some much needed time away together, and Brian would get to see his son. She said a silent prayer and hoped they were all doing the right thing.

 

PART 2

 

Brian didn't skip a beat. "Adam Slatter! We talked the other day on the phone! A friend of mine recommended you. Your reputation precedes you. Should I be worried?" Brian said teasingly, almost mockingly, and raised his eyebrow, a broad smile spread across his handsome face.

"Yes, we did. I'm sure you understand now why I couldn't take your case."

Brian made a face that said, 'Please, don't be ridiculous!'

"Perfectly understandable! Truth is I would never have called if Robert here hadn't had plans to go to Italy. I didn't want him to cancel his plans for me. But as you can see, once he found out, he insisted that he represent me." He leaned in toward Adam and whispered conspiratorially., "It's really for the best actually; his Italian's for shit." Brian was toying with Adam, letting him know that he not only did not view him as a threat, but he didn't even rank a nuisance.

"I may be deaf but I heard that," Robert  said trying to look affronted.

Brian held his hands up. "What?" he said, looking innocent.

Adam smiled. "This is all very entertaining Kinney, but I've seen better performances from street vendors. Actually, there was one particular street performer I found very talented. A very handsome violinist. I believe you're familiar with his work." Adam smirked at Brian.

First shot fired, and mark hit.

Adam was the best in his field, and he got to be the best by knowing every important detail of his opponent.

Brian Kinney, 31 years old, very successful ad man with two Clio's under his belt. He was current owner and CEO of Kinnitik's Global Advertising Agency that boasted some pretty high-ticket clients such as Remington Pharmaceuticals.

He was as ruthless in business as he was in his personal life. When inquired about, Adam heard descriptive words such as narcissistic, arrogant, condescending, intelligent, ruthless and his favorite, asshole, which was used the most.

He had a reputation for his promiscuity, drinking and drugging.

Two years ago he seduced a young boy whom he was currently living with. Around the same time he became a father to Lindsey and Mel's baby. He had an estranged mother, father dead, one sister whom he barely spoke to that had two kids, and another woman he called sister who he grew up with in New York.

He spent time in a Rehab facility in New York at the age of fifteen. Managed to finish high school and get a masters degree by the time he was twenty-thee. Worked as a top ad man for Vangard before opening up his own agency.

Kinney had one previous lawsuit dropped against him for sexual harassment on the job and another dropped for child molestation of his own nephew.

His young lover left him for the violinist in a very public display. They recently got back together.

Yes, Adam made sure to know all the important details of his opponents before engaging in battle.

Robert looked at Brian. His eyes were intense. Brian barely glanced back at him.

So, Mr. Slatter played hardball? Brian mentally shrugged. He dealt with his type before. This is where lessons from Brian's time on the streets usually served him well. He grinned at Adam.

"Actually, Adam, I have a particular fondness for violinists. But I suspect you already know that," Brian said with a knowing, sexy smile, and winked at Adam.

Adam didn't flinch, though he cursed inwardly at the inference. He assumed it was his lover that had the affair with the violinist, not Brian. It made him think twice now about what else he could have gotten wrong about the man.

Brian saw the doubt in Adam's eyes and smiled. Good. This man was way too dangerous; he had to keep him off balance. So he knew a lot about him? Well, let's confirm some of those facts Brian thought.

"Adam, come. Let's have a drink before we discuss business."

Robert shot Brian a warning look. Brian ignored him and pulled out the bottle of Beam.

"A little early isn't it?" Adam asked; his confidence back. At least that bit of information was correct. Kinney was a heavy drinker.

Brian took a shot in the dark.

"Ah, come on, Adam. I do believe you've been known to take a nip or two before noon yourself." He said hoping his assumption hit its mark.

It did.

Adam smiled. He felt something he hadn't felt in a long time. Challenged. Kinney was real competition. Obviously Kinney had done his homework as well.

"Once or twice," Adam conceded and nodded his head in respect.

Brian took out two glasses. "I'd offer Robert and George a drink but they aren't like us, Adam. They don't indulge," Brian looked straight into Adam's eyes as he drawled out the word "indulge".

Brian had a feeling this man indulged in quite a few things that weren't as pristine as the designer suit he was wearing. His gut instinct told him that, and he had learned a long time ago to trust those instincts. They kept him alive on the streets.

Robert and George pulled some chairs over in front of Brian's desk. The two were enthralled watching the men in front of them. It was like watching a fencing match.

Indulge. Adam caught the inference. What else did Brian know of that he indulged in? Fuck, he hoped he didn't know about Shane! Not that he cared if Kinney thought he was picking up young gay tricks at bars, but he didn't want Shane hurt. Shane. His mind briefly flashed an imagine of her lying beneath him, panting…. Adam shook himself mentally. He needed to stay focused.

Adam walked over to the chair next to Robert. "May I?" He motioned to the chair.

"Of course, sit," Brian said. He came around the desk and offered the glass of Beam to Adam.

Adam took the glass. "I usually prefer Bourbon, but this will do." He swallowed the burning liquid in one smooth gulp. He returned the glass to Brian, never flinching. He lowered himself into the chair and unbuttoned his jacket.

Brian was impressed. Not many men could drink that much whisky in one shot and not react. Adam was smooth.

"All other information we have on each other aside, there is only two things you really need to know about me, Mr. Kinney," Adam said.

Brian raised his eyebrow. "Oh? And what are they?"

"I'm the best at what I do, I can be painfully vindictive, and I do not play fair,"

"That's three things."

"See? Not playing fair already," Adam said and smirked.

Brian laughed. "Well then, Mr. Slatter, why don't you tell us what you want?" It was time to get down to business.

Adam pulled his briefcase onto his lap and opened it. He took some papers out and handed a copy to Robert, and one to Brian. Robert scanned the contents. Brian threw his on his desk and held Adam's stare.

"As you know, my client is opposing your petition to reinstate your parental rights to your biological son, Gus Peterson." Adam waited, giving Brian's lawyer time to read their countersuit.

Robert scanned the documents in his hands.

"You can't be serious!" Robert said, his eyes glued to the papers in his hands. Brian shot him a look. There obviously was something in those papers that Robert did not like.

"Oh, but we are." Adam looked back at Brian. He hadn't even blinked, Adam noticed.

"Ms. Peterson and Ms. Marcus have filed papers to petition the courts to deny you visitation rights and any future contact with your biological child. We are asking the courts that a restraining order be put on you immediately."

Adam dropped that bomb and Brian still didn't flinch. His eyes remained locked with Adam's, emotionless. Adam felt a chill. This was one opponent he needed to tread very carefully with.

"On what basis?" George translated for Robert.

"On the basis that Mr. Kinney is a possible threat to the child. We have several affidavits from members of the community stating that they have personal knowledge of Mr. Kinney's drinking and drug use and his reckless sexual activities. He puts himself and his son in danger. In addition, Mr. Kinney has had past claims of child molestation and statutory rape," Adam concluded.

"Those claims were dropped. You can't admit them into evidence," Robert said.

Adam gave him a blank look. "You're right of course, but sometimes those old claims get mixed in with other admissible evidence, and by the time the judge dismisses them, he's already read them. And judges are human. Their decisions will, on some level, be affected by it." Adam was giving them a glimpse of how dirty he could play.

Robert handed the affidavits back to Adam. "You may be right. But the next judge will know about the underhanded trick you played the first time around, and HIS decision may be affected by THAT knowledge. You see, though you have the advantage of knowing how to employ underhanded tactics to twist the courts to your favor, WE have the advantage of capital resources behind us. Between Remington Pharmaceuticals and Kinnetik's Global, we can keep Ms. Peterson and Ms. Marcus in the courts for many, many years, costing them hundreds of thousands of dollars. This is something YOU should consider when you advise your client," Robert said.

Both Brian and Adam were impressed by Robert. Brian in particular. John's brother was no pussycat. He was ruthless when pushed. He just pushed back, and hard.

"True. But I would have won this case. And that's all I'm really interested in, Mr. Remington. You can have a shot at the next lawyer. But consider this; the appeal could take months, maybe years. Children grow up so fast these days," Adam said, not to be outdone.

Robert was ready to respond when Brian shot him a look. He had no doubt Robert could handle this man but Brian wanted to deal with this personally. Adam was about to learn how Brian reacted to threats.

"We won't need any appeals. We'll win this one," Brian said confidently and leaned forward so his face was close to Adam's.

"You see, Adam, I know a few tricks of my own. Quite a few actually, many of them judges." He smiled sadistically.

"Now maybe you'll get lucky and the judge appointed to this case won't have intimate knowledge of me, but I can assure you, one of his cronies will have, and you know how they all hate scandals. The game is on, Slatter. See you in court." Brian straightened up and went behind his desk. He sat down and started shuffling through his files. He pressed the intercom.

"Cyn, Get Ted in here, we need to go over the Sparkle account." He shut the intercom off before Cynthia could answer.

Adam took that as his cue, the meeting was over. Robert got up to let Adam out. Adam shut his briefcase and stood up to leave. He faced Brian.

"Kinney, do yourself a favor. Don't underestimate me. You have a job to do, and so do I. Yours is to sell hot tubs and miracle drugs. Mine is to cross-examine people like you and crush them. And have no doubt, I will get you, your lover, your whole family and every trick you've ever had or got high with on the stand. By the time I get through I'll have portrayed you as a pedophile homosexual child molester." Adam waited for a reaction. Brian never looked up.

Adam sighed and continued "If you think any judge, regardless of who you've fucked, will risk the publicity of letting a child molester gain access to a child… Did I mention all the media coverage I have planned?" Adam paused again to see if that would get him a reaction. Nothing. He shrugged and continued.

"Anyway, let's just say that a scandal of one sexual tryst with a consenting adult, gay or not, is far less a price to pay publicly then being known as the judge who rules in favor of child molesters. Think about that," Adam concluded. Still, no reaction.

"Brian…" Adam's voice was sincere. Brian could sense the "man" in front of him, the lawyer temporarily gone. Brian looked up and met his stare.

"This is not personal. I hope you understand. You have your vice, I have mine. This is mine." He put his briefcase down on the floor and moved to stand in front of Brian's desk. He placed his hands on the polished surface and leaned in. His voice was low, his words meant only for Brian's ears.

"I NEED to win," He said, beseeching Brian to understand with his eyes. "Your lawyer is right; you have enough money to get a speedy appeal. Start working on it now. With some luck you can have it in a couple of months,"

Brian looked at the man and understood what he was saying. Adam Slatter defined himself by always winning. Without it, he had nothing. He was nothing, or so he believed. That was his vice. His cross in life to bear.

At any other time, he might have sympathized with the man. But this was his son they were talking about. If Brian couldn't win in the court room, then he would win outside the court room. No matter what it took, he would not loose his son.

Brian got up slowly and walked around his desk. He stood in front of Adam and held his stare for a full minute, then turned and walked to his door and held it open.

"Get the fuck out of my office," he said in a dead calm voice.

Adam picked up his briefcase and walked past Brian, and into the outer office. God, he hated his job sometimes.

His eyes fell on a woman standing alongside Brian's secretary, Cynthia. Her back was to him but there was something familiar about her. She was wearing a very stylish pant suit outfit that complimented her slight curves. Her hair was jet black, and short from behind.

"Cyn, if Brian doesn't hire someone soon I swear to God I'm going to start strangling people down there! Fucking artistic types! Where the fuck is Justin! He should be dealing with those lunatics!" Shane was venting her frustrations to Cynthia.

"Shane?" Adam said in a shocked voice.

Shane whipped around at the sound of Adam's voice. Her face lit up and a smile spread across her delicate features.

Brian watched the exchange closely from his door.

"What are you doing here?" she asked excitedly. She wondered if he had tracked her down to surprise her.

Adam just stared at her. God she looked beautiful as a woman! She was hot dressed as a boy, but wow, she was absolutely stunning in woman's clothing!

"You know, fancy face, I could get use to seeing you like this," he said smiling at her.

Fancy face? Ok, here's an interesting new development Brian thought.

"How did you find me! I thought we were going to meet at our place later?"

Then it hit Adam. FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! He turned and looked at Brian. He did NOT like the look on Brian's face.

Brian stood there, with this very odd grin.

Shane instantly felt something was wrong. "Adam, why are you here?" she asked, dread sinking into her.

Adam turned to face Shane. "Shane, we have to talk, NOW!" he said frantically and reached to grab her arm and drag her out of the room.

Shane let him pull her away, too stunned to resist.

"Shane!" Brian's voice boomed out across the room before Adam was able to pull Shane out.

"Don't listen to him, we need to talk first!" Adam said frantically. Shane heard the desperation in his voice. She pulled back, stopping him from pulling her out of the room. Her heart sank. She felt like throwing up. Something very bad was going on.

"Shane, Mr. Slatter is Mel's Lawyer," Brian said. Cynthia gasped as the realization of what was happening just hit her.

Shane looked like a deer caught in the headlights.

"Fancy face, let me explain, I didn't know!"

Shane pulled away from him. She stood back and stared at him with this blank look. Adam's heart clenched painfully. NO, his mind screamed. He went to reach for her; she flinched as if his touch were suddenly toxic.

"Don't do this to us, Shane, please," Adam pleaded, his eyes desperate.

Shane wanted to disappear. This wasn't happening. Tears starting spilling down her cheeks.

"I'm sorry," she said then turned and walked toward Brian.

Brian opened his arms and Shane folded herself into his embrace and cried.

"Shhh… it will be fine. Just don't think about it." Brian said.

It was his standard advice for dealing with most stressful situations. Don't think about it. Do what ever you had to do to erase bad memories and feelings. Drink them away, fuck them away or drug yourself up to the point of numbness. He gently released Shane and pushed her into his office. He closed the door behind her and turned to Adam.

"You see, Adam, it IS personal to me. Now get the fuck out of my building," he said then went back inside his office.