Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

 

"It takes a whole lot of liquor to like her."

~ Hank Williams Junior

 

"What is this, silk?"

Justin quickly pulled Shane away from the shirt. "Don't touch that!" He scolded as he slid the closet door shut. "And it's not silk, it's Irish linen. Lacroix." It was bad enough she was in their room, but now she was going through Brian's wardrobe.

"Tell me again, why she is here?" Brian complained for the tenth time.

"Because she was caught blowing Viv's last husband and Viv's still on the warpath about it," Justin explained for the tenth time.

"Well, control your pet, Justin," Brian sneered.

"Lacroix?" Shane asked. "What the fuck is that? Some fancy name for 'shirts for fags'?" She went over and plopped herself down on the bed.

"It's a Paris designer." Justin informed her. "And Shane, Brian was good enough to let you stay here while Viv is visiting; it would do you well to be nice to him," Justin warned.

"And why the fuck is she HERE?!" Brian asked again.

Justin sighed.

"Fuck, Justin, Rena booked another room for her, why doesn't she go hang out there?" His irritation was palpable.

"Because I don't like being alone," Shane said honestly.

"Oh, is that why you fuck anything that moves?" Brian sneered.

Justin gave him a disbelieving look. "I can't believe YOU just said that!"

Brian snarled at them both and turned back to look out the window he'd been staring out it for the past half hour.

Viv came in late last night. The events of the previous day hung heavy in his mind. After Rena's revelation about her seizures, they all went shopping. He had to admit it was relaxing. His mind and emotions were on overload. They went to that boutique shop Rena told them about, Anik, and bought Justin and Shane some clothes. Shopping was always a good stress reliever for Brian.

Rena was right, Justin looked hot in black. He had him try on a black Malik shirt that hugged his body, and fell just past his ass, accentuating that particular part of his anatomy. Brian got hard again just thinking about it. He dragged Justin into the dressing room and fucked him right there. Another great stress reliever. Of course his blond was mortified when they exited the small stall. It was obvious what they had been doing. But the sales person never said a word. Why would he? They spent over two thousand dollars in that store. The shirt alone cost three hundred. It took a lot of cajoling to get Justin to accept it. Brian had to convince him that the shirt was more for him and not Justin, which wasn't too hard after their encounter in the dressing room.

After their shopping excursion, they had a very nice Italian dinner at Nino's restaurant. Conversation flowed easily. He got a chance to talk to James more. He ignored Shane. And Rena and Justin chatted endlessly like two old school chums. There were even one or two celebrities dining there, Regis Philbin and Blythe Danner. Justin of course was thrilled to see Blythe. Emmett got Justin hooked on vintage movie and stage legends. He had great taste, though, Brian had to admit. He didn't take to modern day Diva's. Only the classics for his Sunshine.

It was almost easy to forget that Rena was suffering from seizures. Almost. She seemed perfectly normal all day. She was excited about Viv coming. Brian hid his irritation over her unexpected visit, not wanting to upset Rena. The last person Brian wanted to see was Viv.

The last time he saw that bitch was six years ago. He had yet to talk to Rena about it.

After dinner, Rena asked him to go to the airport with her to pick up dear old Aunty Viv. Brian begged off complaining of a headache. Justin knew it was a ruse of course, but he didn't question him. His blond was treating him with kid gloves, as if Brian would crack or go off on a binge if he said or did the wrong thing. He knew he was worried about how he was taking the news of Rena's seizures. Problem was, he didn't know how to take the news. Until he got her to a doctor, and had more facts, he refused to let himself obsess about it.

Rena arranged for Shane to have her own room while Viv stayed with her. Why Rena put up with that troublesome hellcat was beyond Brian. But Rena was protective of her. Brian would just as soon throw her in the streets. But just his luck, Justin took a shine to her as well. Though he wasn't surprised. Justin was always drawn to troubled souls. He was a good example of that.

Shane went off last night to some bar. Brian took Justin back to the room and fucked him into the mattress. He made him wear the Malik shirt as he took him over and over again. God he was hot last night. He would have fucked him all night if Shane hadn't knocked at their door at three in the morning. She didn't want to go to her room alone. There was no fucking way he was letting her sleep in their bed, even though it was king size. Justin made a bed up with extra blankets on the floor for her. She had slept on enough streets in her life that a night on the floor of a hotel room wouldn't be a hardship for her.

They woke up a few hours ago. Justin ordered them room service for breakfast, which was actually more of a brunch. Rena called several times, he kept putting her off. He knew he couldn't stall for much longer. For the last half hour he just stared out the window. Justin and Shane were getting restless.

"Brian, are we going up to Rena's?" Justin broke through his thoughts.

Justin was dressed and ready to meet the woman he heard so much about. He was surprised Brian wasn't anxious to see her again. After all, this woman saved Rena's life. He didn't understand Brian's reaction.

Brian sighed heavily. Might as well get this over with. He turned to Justin. "Take out that Lacroix shirt for me. And the black Armani slacks."

Justin shot a brow up at him. "Why so formal?" he asked. Brian didn't make sense. First he acts like he would rather eat nails then see Viv, now he's putting on his best clothes as if to impress her.

"Because I won't give that cunt one more reason to judge me." he snapped.

Ok, that took Justin by surprise. "What the fuck are you talking about?" He demanded. This was so out of character for Brian.

"Hey, look at that. Something we agree on! She is a cunt Justin." Shane threw her two cents in.

Justin shot her a warning look. "Stay out of this, Shane. And I wouldn't be calling her names if I were you, after what you did to her!" For some reason, Justin felt he had to defend Viv and he didn't even know her. He did know however, that if it weren't for her, God knows what would have happened to Rena.

"What number husband was that Shane?" Brian asked her. He never got around to talking to Rena about Viv. Actually, he avoided that conversation. They spent an entire night catching up and only skimmed the surface. It was obvious there was a lot that they still needed to discuss.

"Nine. Can you fucking believe it? That woman goes through men like.., well, like you go through men Brian." Shane smiled like a Cheshire at him. She couldn't resist the rib.

"WHY the fuck is she here, Justin?" he asked for the 11th time.

KNOCK! KNOCK!

"I'll get it!" Shane got up to answer the door.

"Great, now she's treating this like it's her room. Justin, I don't want her here!" Brian complained peevishly.

Justin put his hand on Brian's arm, as if soothing a child who was in the midst of a tantrum, which Brian was dangerously close to having.

Shane opened the door. "Fuck," she said despondently.

"Sorry, Shane, no husbands around for that. Though I thought your forte was blowjobs?" the woman on the other side of the door said.

Shane moved aside to let the woman in.

Justin turned to look at who he assumed was the famous "Aunt Viv." Judging by what she just said to Shane, it had to be her.

He had to admit, her appearance was formidable. She was a tall woman, statuesque. Lean, with a practiced posture that made her chest stick out, and broad shoulders hitch back. Her clothing was tailored, and expensive. She had a short, very stylish haircut, strawberry blond, streaked with flames of red. Her features were attractive for sure, but definitely showed signs of "work". He knew from what little he heard of her that she had to be at least in her fifties. She looked thirty. The facial skin was a little too taut to be natural.

But it was her piercing green eyes that unnerved him. Rena had her eyes, but Rena's eyes did not have that hard look to them. Viv's eyes exhumed a very hard life. He didn't know her story, but the eyes were the windows to the soul and Justin could see a harsh, determined, take no prisoner's person behind those eyes.

She walked into the room, as if she dominated it. Justin imagined the woman dominated every room she walked into. She turned slowly, examining the room with obvious distaste.

Her eyes settled on Brian. She ignored Justin, whose hand was still resting on Brian's arm. As soon as Viv walked in, Brian went rigid. The skin beneath Justin's hand felt like rock, that was how tense Brian's muscles were. He looked up and saw the tightness in Brian's jaw as well. Brian was NOT happy to see this woman. He was reigning in some serious anger. Justin wondered what had happened between them to cause such a reaction from Brian.

"Still cavorting with ruffian's, I see?" She spoke, her voice as cold and harsh as her eyes.

Brian got stiffer, if that were possible. The hair on the back of Justin's neck rose. He didn't take kindly to the insult. He was sure she wasn't just talking about Shane. He kept silent though and reminded himself that this woman saved Rena's life.

"Hello, Viv," Brian said with a pleasantry that belied his emotional state.

"Shane was just speaking fondly of your last husband," he smirked.

"What was he Viv? Number nine?" Brian made a low whistling noise, "That's a lot of dicks Viv. Too bad you couldn't hold on to any of them, perhaps Shane could give you some pointers," Brian shot at her. 

 

Shane groaned at Brian's insult. She didn't need him reminding Viv that she blew her last husband!

 

Viv smiled at him at the barb.

"My, my, so the little boy is all grown up now.  Though I see you are still trying to hold on to your youth." She gave Justin a very throughal perusal. 

 

Brian bristled.

 

"Is that what you're trying to do Viv? Hold on to your youth? How's that working for you? It must be hard to keep losing husbands to much younger, more desirable "boys". Do you ever wonder if they were all gay?"

 

"At least they were of 'legal' age," Viv said then turned her attention to Justin.  "How old are you dear?  Fourteen? Fifteen? Does your mother know where you are?" she asked  condescendingly.

Ouch. Justin looked up at Brian. "Am I allowed to speak to "it"?" He asked, deciding the woman liked this sport, and he wasn't going to sit back and be bait for her.

She stunned them all by laughing heartily in the room. Her stern demeanor slipped and a playful, amused woman stood before them.

"Blond and beautiful with a vipers tongue," she said.

 

"Good for you, Brian! That's two things you've done right in your life. Most men never accomplish one." 

Justin was stunned. First she is insulting everyone in the room, and now she's giving Brian an honest compliment. The woman was a walking contradiction.

"What are you doing here, Viv?" Brian asked bluntly.

"I didn't know how long you intended to hide from me, so I decided to come and get you."

"I wasn't hiding, I was avoiding. There is a difference," Brian said flatly.

Viv sighed dramatically. "Come on, Brian, how long are you going to stay angry with me?"

Brian snorted and walked towards her stopping just inches from her. "Let's be clear, Viv, you are only here to find out how much I've told Rena. Damage control is your motive," he stated.

"What other reason would I have to be dragged from my Spa in Italy? I was doing a full week of mud baths, defoliants and facial hydrotherapy. Rena wasn't supposed to leave for another week. I should have known she would be too impatient to wait. I was hoping to talk to her before she left." Viv explained.

"Defoliant?" Justin asked. "Don't you mean exfoliate?"

Viv turned an appreciative eye on Justin. He was clever to catch that she mused. It was a private joke between her and Margot. They called each other a couple of old Oak trees still standing in the forest. Whenever they went for facials, they called it being 'defoliated'.

"At my age, sweetie, it's like peeling dead leaves off." Viv smiled at her own pun.

Justin smiled back. The woman had a sense of humor about herself.

"And what would you have said to Rena, Viv? Or I should ask, what did you say?" Brian brought her attention back to him.

"Brian. If you can't forgive me, at least understand why I did what I did," Viv pleaded. "For Rena's sake," she added.

"Bullshit, Viv!" Brian leaned in and yelled at her. "You did it for the same fucking reasons you do anything. Pure selfishness!"

Viv's eyes grew dark. "And so what if it was! I don't have a right to be happy? I took care of her for seventeen years Brian, NOT you." She laughed sourly. "And STILL, it is YOU, she considers family! She LIVED for those letters from you! In truths, she wasn't going on with her life. She didn't let me in, or anyone else. Did you know she threw away a chance at REAL love because of you?"

Brian snorted. "Bullshit. I wouldn't believe a fucking word you said, not after the lie you told me."

Viv wasn't giving up. "It's true. Ask her. She'll tell you the truth. His name was Sean. He was a plastic surgeon. They met in medical school. It was the only time I saw her truly happy with someone. She was monogamous with him! Imagine that. Rena, monogamous! But then, when it got too serious, she told him she had another life to go to and left him. Just like that. Well, it was then I decided to cut the strings between you two." Viv had worked herself up, her face was red.

Brian just stared at her. There was a ring of truth to what she was saying. Rena did mention a Sean in one of her letters. But she never indicated it was serious. Thinking back though, it was the only man she ever spoke about with respect. All the other men and women she mention were always with in a sexual context. Brian feared there was truth to Viv's words.

"That doesn't excuse you lying to me, Viv," Brian said. He remembered the letter Rena sent Michael that prompted their reunion.

*She told me that the letters I was sending him were keeping him rooted in the hell we lived as children and stopping him from moving past it and getting on with his life.* She wrote.

Viv told her the same lie, she told him. What he never told Michael was that it was Viv who came to tell him Rena wouldn't be writing anymore. Not Tom. She waited until a fucking year went by with no letter before she came down from the mountain to tell Brian her lies.

Viv actually looked contrite. She looked away from him. "That was hurtful, I know." She squared her shoulders and looked back at him. "I was jealous of you Brian. I wanted to hurt you. All those years, and Rena's first loyalty always remained with you. I have no excuse," hse confessed, unapologetically.

Brian straightened up and held her stare. Good. At last, the truth. It was a start.

"I didn't tell Rena, yet. But Viv, telling me that Rena went on a sex, drug and drinking binge every time she received a letter from me was cruel. Even for you. I've carried that guilt for six fucking years. It hurt me to give her up. And you have no idea how much it hurt Rena. For someone who claims you've taken care of her for seventeen years, so much has gone past your notice. Critical things."

"What are you talking about?" Viv asked warily.

"Rena will have to tell you," Brian said. "Your selfishness has hurt the one person you truly love. The only reason I am speaking to you at all IS because I owe you a great debt. You did save Rena's life. And if the payment for that was you hurting me six years ago, then I'll accept that. But hurting Rena is something I can't forgive."

Viv's eyes grew wide. "I would NEVER hurt Rena! Everything I ever did was to help her! I love her more than anything, Brian, even myself. If you believe nothing else, believe that." Viv was earnest. Brian did believe her, but she had no idea of Rena's seizures. She should have been more diligent in caring for her.

"Brian." Viv's voice softened. "We cant' go on like this. You're Rena's brother. We both love her. For her sake, let's try not to hurt each other from now on, ok?" She put out the olive branch.

"There was a time when we did get along," she reminded him.

Brian hesitated. There was a time when he was a mere teen that Viv and he got along. And In truth, even though he was very angry at Viv for lying to him about Rena, and cutting them off for six years, he knew in his heart she believed she was doing what was best for Rena. More importantly, if it was true, as he suspected it was, that Rena gave up a chance at love to come back to him, then Viv DID do the right thing.

"Tell you what Viv. If you TRY not to be such a vicious, lying cunt, I'll try to tolerate you," he said to her, tongue in cheek.

She gave him a haughty smile. "You do ask the impossible you know. Being a cunt is how I got nine husbands."

They smiled at each other. A silent truce was being formed. Viv opened her arms in invitation. Brian stared at her for a moment, letting her hang there.

She sighed. "Asshole."

"Why does everyone call me that?" Brian said laughingly, and opened his arms for Viv.

Justin stood behind Brian totally flabbergasted by the whole conversation. There was so much information to absorb. Pieces were coming together for Justin. It explained so much about Brian, and his behavior patterns. All the lies and pain from his past were all part of who Brian was today. Why he didn't trust. Why he couldn't connect emotionally. Justin was amazed that he was able to break through some of those barriers with him after all Brian had endured. Justin's heart swelled. It was clear how much Brian let go in order to let Justin in. He loved him so much right then it hurt. Justin shook his head. He was NOT going to cry in front of Viv! He decided to leave the room, they needed a little privacy.

Shane managed to slip out of the room earlier, eager to escape Viv's wrath. The door was still opened behind Viv. Anyone walking in the hall could hear their conversation. Justin went around them to leave the room as quietly as he could. Viv walked into Brian's arms. Justin watched them and he closed the door, his back to the lobby. He bumped into a body behind him. He turned around to apologize and his mouth dropped open!

"Hey handsome! Is this Brian Kinney's room?"

Margot Hathaway, the FAMOUS Margot Hathaway, star of film and stage spoke to Justin Taylor!