Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

The shocking secret is finally out in the open!  Who will wind up with whom?  And what will be the result?  Meanwhile, another storm is brewing that will have significant ramifications. 


Kayla and Tristan's House - Twenty Minutes Earlier

 

Dejected, Tristan watched Gus speed off before he turned and headed back inside, the basketball now completely forgotten as he angrily slammed it hard against the concrete driveway and it rolled over into the grass on the other side. He still had no real clue what had just happened here.  What's WITH Gus?  And what's wrong with HIM? Why can't he just accept the fact that Gus simply isn't interested in him?  Why does he even care?  As he walked inside and shut the door, he leaned against it, closed his eyes, and let out a deep, tense breath.

 

"Are we ever going to talk about it?" he heard Kayla ask quietly out of nowhere as he jumped, startled, his eyes flying open as his heart began to pound in surprise.

 

Tristan's eyes flashed in irritation; his sister always DID have a bad habit of sneaking up on him at times.  "SHIT, Kayla! You scared me!" Tristan muttered as he let out another puff of air to try and calm his erratic breathing and glared over at her from a few feet away.  She was standing there rigidly, her eyes boring into his.

 

"Well?" she pressed as she crossed her arms over her chest and arched an eyebrow at him expectantly.

 

"Well, what?" he answered obtusely on purpose, trying to play dumb but knowing precisely what - or in this case, whom - she was talking about.   He tried to ignore her question by walking past her, but she wouldn't stand for it as she reached out to grab his upper arm.

 

"Don't play ignorant with me, Big Brother.  You're my only brother, and he's my best friend, so it's only fair that we talk about this," she stated defiantly in a no-nonsense tone of voice.  "So sit," she demanded as she slid onto one of their padded, kitchen bar stools and patted the one next to her.  "And spill."

 

Tristan sighed heavily, resigned to his fate.  "Fine," he told her with gritted teeth as he took the place next to her.  He remained stonily silent, however, not quite sure WHERE to begin.  The whole matter was so fucked up already.

 

"Okay...," Kayla prompted, sensing she would have to make the first move here.  "So you really like him, huh?"

 

"What gave it away?" he asked dryly as he shook his head in disgust, unable to pretend anymore.  "Okay, yeah. Yeah, I DO like him," he admitted as a sort of "I KNEW it" kind of look appeared on her sister's face.  "But I think I've finally had enough," he told her as she furrowed her brow, perplexed, and he looked away, unable to meet her scrutiny.

 

That had definitely NOT been the answer Kayla had been expecting.  "What do you mean that you've had enough?  As far as I can tell, the two of you haven't even started yet!"

 

Tristan snorted. "What I mean is, every time I try to make a move, he pushes me away. What does THAT tell you?  I may be dense sometimes, but that seems like a pretty dead giveaway to me.  He's not interested, period. Time I get that through my thick skull and move on."

 

Kayla eyed her brother sympathetically as she suggested, "Maybe he's just scared.  I mean, he's got to be a little freaked out and all.  He didn't even know that you were gay at first, let alone that you liked him!  Maybe you should give him another chance."

 

Tristan shook his head sadly.  "No, Kayla," he told her softly, the memory of what he had seen still fresh in his mind.  "I saw him with that blond guy I met at the game the other day.  Justin, I think?"

 

Kayla just nodded, somehow sensing what he was going to say and dreading it.

 

"Well, he certainly didn't appear scared or freaked out around HIM," he pointed out.  "He seemed just fine around him."  He sighed as he scooted off the stool and turned to give her a brief peck on the cheek.  "I guess it just wasn't meant to be."  He smiled at her wistfully, but his face didn't reflect any happiness there; only sadness and resignation.  "Thanks for trying to help, Sis.  I'm going to go take a shower now."  He quietly walked out of the kitchen and headed toward the steps leading upstairs, Kayla's heart aching over her brother's unhappiness.

 

 "Gus," she murmured as she shook her head.  "Why?" 

 


 

Brian's Loft, Same Time


Justin was so caught up in his passion as he and Brian made love that at first he missed the soft "No" that echoed around the loft's wall; the second time he heard it, however, the single word was said with so much pain and despair that he couldn't help stopping what he was doing to twist his upper body around in astonishment as he spied someone familiar standing there.  His heart thudded violently in his chest as he immediately recognized who it was.  What the fuck?


His face reddening in deep embarrassment, Justin quickly jumped up and scurried around to the back of the couch to hide from the other boy as he frantically looked around for his jeans to slide them on, Brian grunting in disappointment and dismay.

 

"Shit, Justin, what the hell's going on?" Brian growled at him perturbed, unaware yet that there was even someone else in the room. 

 

"Brian!  Look over by the door, damn it!" Justin demanded in explanation as he hurriedly put his jeans back on, still standing frozen to his spot behind the back of the couch. This couldn't be happening, he decided. The whole thing was just too bizarre.  What the hell was GUS doing here, anyway?  Had he followed him here somehow after he had told him to leave earlier?  And how did he even get into the building?  None of this made sense.  He had never pegged him for a stalker like this.  He knew he had a crush on him, but to go to this level?  That wasn't like Gus at all.

 

"Shit, Sonny Boy," he heard Brian mutter then as he watched his lover quickly bounce off the couch and rush over to Gus to intercept him by the door, stopping just long enough to throw his jeans back on as he picked them up off the floor.  "I didn't want you to find out this way," he began to say to him.

 

Justin furrowed his brow in total confusion; they were talking like they knew each other!  What the hell...?


It wasn't hard to eavesdrop in on their conversation; Gus was way too agitated to worry about being overheard at the moment as Justin heard him say, "How could you DO this to me?  You knew how I felt about him!  But you couldn't leave him alone, could you?  I don't fucking BELIEVE YOU!  Why him??"

 

"I don't know what you're talking about, Gus," Brian stammered, as confused as Justin was. "What do you mean?"

 

Gus shook his head in disgust as he tried to wrench his arm away from his father, who had him firmly gripped by the hand to keep him from leaving.  "Every guy that I like you have to have for yourself, is that it?"

 

"That's absurd, Gus!" Brian growled.  "I don't do that!  I don't NEED to do that!  You're not making any sense here."

 

Justin stood there with his mouth gaping open as he watched them argue about him, evidently.  As they stood there face to face squaring off, however, he noticed how similar in build and appearance they were, and how much they sounded alike; slowly an insidious, horrible reality began to coalesce in his mind as he thought back to when he and Gus had first met at school.

 

It had happened when he had literally crashed into Gus near the principal's office that first day.  What was it that Owen had said right after that when he had called out to Gus?  He furrowed his brow for a moment before he remembered it, and his world came promptly crashing down around him as a horrifying possibility began to emerge:

 

"Hey! Kinney, what the fuck are YOU doing here?"

 

Oh, shit.  Now it was his turn to murmur "no" over and over again in dismay as he watched who he now assumed to be father and son arguing about him. 

 



Brian's POV


My eyes squeezed tightly shut and my head thrown back in the throes of passion, I felt Justin suddenly remove himself from my cock.  Opening my eyes and my cock throbbing with pent-up non-release, I watched in confusion as he rushed around to the back of the couch like some virginal schoolgirl.  I heard Justin tell me to look over by the door as I lifted my head up to see what was going on, and cringed as I noticed Gus standing there like a shell-shocked deer in the proverbial headlights.

 

"Shit," I muttered in dismay; this was NOT the way I wanted him to meet Justin.  The poor kid looked stunned, even though he knew full well what his old man liked to do - and which side of the fence he liked to 'do' it on.  At least Lindsay hadn't been here to witness it, I thought, or to have her private eye stand there and record it for posterity.  Quickly rising off the couch, I took a moment to hunt up my jeans and pull them on before hurrying over to the door.

 

"Shit, Sonny Boy, I didn't want you to find out this way," I began to explain; my breath caught in my throat, however, as I saw the look of absolute despair and betrayal on his face.

 

Gus's eyes blazed with fury as he said to me, "How could you DO this to me?  You KNEW how I felt about him!  But you couldn't leave him alone, could you?  I don't fucking BELIEVE YOU!  Why him??"

 

"I don't know what you're talking about, Gus," I replied in total confusion.   "What the hell do you mean?"

 

"Every guy that I like you have to have for yourself, is that it?"

 

I shook my head; feeling like I was a participant in some surreal play and no one had told me that I was one of the performers or had given me a script.  "That's absurd, Gus!" I told him in exasperation.  "I don't do that!  I don't NEED to do that!  You're not making any sense."

 

I sighed as I brushed my hand through my tousled hair.  "Look, I'm sorry.  I shouldn't have done this here."  I glanced over at Justin, noticing an odd look on his face; no doubt he was as embarrassed right now as I was.  "You're right."  I tried to smile at him in apology, but he was still clearly agitated for some reason.  "We just got a little carried away and..." he cut me off with a raised hand as to my horror I actually saw tears welling up in his eyes.  What the fuck?  I thought he was simply getting freaked out like all teenagers would be over seeing their old man going at it hot and heavy with another guy.  I never could stand to see my son upset, and now he's crying?  "Gus...What...?"

 

"When...When Michael told me you would do this, Dad," Gus said in between sniffles, "I didn't want to believe him.  But fuck it, he was right.  Here we are!"

 

I furrowed my brow; this situation was getting weirder and weirder by the second.  I peered back over at Justin, who remained behind the couch, and a sense of dread began to wash over me.  I had no idea why, but I didn't like the feeling I was getting at all.  "What?  Michael?  What does HE have to do with this? Gus, spell it out."

 

"When I told him I was gay, he told me that I'm fucked! And you want to know why, Dad?"  The tears now streaming down his cheeks, my son explained to my utter shock, "Because he said that every guy I would like would want to be with YOU instead!  And...And now it's happened!  You've really done it!  You've taken the one guy I cared the most about!"

 

My mouth hung open; what was happening here?  I shook my head, totally perplexed, the beginnings of a headache coming on.  "What guy? Gus, I don't know what you're talking about..."

 

"FUCK YOU!" Gus screamed in fury as he turned to head back out the door.  I stood there just long enough for my son's exit to sink in before I hurried after him.  I had to know what was happening here.  This was totally unlike my son to speak to me this way.  "Gus!  Gus, wait!" I yelled at him as he rushed toward the stairs, not appearing to want to wait for the elevator.

 

I reached out to grab his upper arm, only to have him wrench free from my grasp as he whirled back around.   "Get away from me, Dad!"

 

Now I was REALLY worried; my son had never shrunk from my touch. We had always had an open, loving, and trust-filled relationship. What had Michael done to undermine that?  "Gus, damn it!  Talk to me!"

 

My son wiped some tears angrily from his cheek with the sleeve of his shirt as he wailed, "How could you do this to me?  I thought you loved me!"

 

"Shit, Gus, I DO love you!  How can you even question that?  What...?"

 

I could see Justin out of the corner of my eye now, standing in the doorway to the loft as Gus stole a quick glance over at him before he cried out, "I TOLD you how much he meant to me!  I told you everything and you still went after him!  I even told you about...About kissing him last night for the first time...!"

 

I looked at my son like he had lost his mind. "Who? Damn it, Gus, what..?"

 

"HIM!" He shouted as he pointed over at Justin.  "Who do you think?"

 

My heart dropped and I felt like someone had just taken a knife and twisted it in my gut as I finally realized who Gus was talking about.  Oh, my God.  I backed away as if my son had hit me, unable at first to accept what was happening. But as I looked over at Justin and saw the same sort of look etched on his face, tinged with shock and sorrow, I knew that it was all too horribly real.

 


 

 Gus' POV - Same Time


My Dad reached out to touch my arm, but I roughtly pulled it out of his reach. I couldn't even look at him right then.  I couldn't believe he would do this to me.  At that moment, I didn't know which hurt more - the fact that he had betrayed me, or the fact that it was with Justin, of all people.

 

I shook my head in disbelief.  "Tell me the truth, Dad.  He came here looking for me, and you took one look at him and just couldn't help yourself, could you? That's it, isn't it?"

 

"Gus..."  I heard Justin quietly saying from his place by the door.  But I pointedly ignored him.  My attention for the time being was focused solely on my father - the man I had loved and I had always considered my best friend.  The one person I always thought I could turn to and tell him anything, to confide in him my innermost thoughts, hopes, and dreams. Had all of that been a lie now?

 

But Justin obstinately tried again to get my attention.  "Gus, please, you have to listen to..."

 

I whirled around, my face dark red with fury.  "Stay out of this, Justin!  You're no better than him!" I snarled as I turned back to my father.  He faced appeared ashen, a picture of devastation and despair.  Well, good, I couldn't help thinking.  Maybe you need a taste of your own fucking medicine.  I noticed him opening his mouth as if he was going to explain, but no sound emerged.  Finally, after a few seconds of apparently wrestling with himself, he finally told me quietly, "Gus, Justin is...my boyfriend."

 

Now it was MY turn to fall mute.  I felt numb; I couldn't speak.  And just when I thought it couldn't get worse, it did as my father advised me, "We've been seeing each other for some time now.  I told you about him, remember?"

 

As I peered over at Justin, I thought he looked decidedly embarrassed as he clutched his arms across his chest, his own eyes full of regret.  But at that moment, I didn't care about his pain; only mine. 

 


 

Same time - St. James Academy


Owen sat seething in his car near school, still reliving his conversation a short time ago with the basketball coach. He had been informed that he could no longer actively participate in any future games.  And it was all because the star of the show, Gus Kinney, decided after their recent 'disagreement' that he was no longer willing to play on the same team as he.  That meant that either he had to sit out all the remaining championship games on the bench, or he no longer had a place on the team at all.  Neither was a good alternative; not when he was so close to the end of the school year.  How would recruiters even see him now?  His goals, dreams and aspirations were now for shit.

 

In fury he pounded the steering wheel over and over again in frustration with his hand, feeling it throbbing as he balled it into a fist.  A familiar voice sounded nearby just then, invading his chaotic, morose thoughts as he turned to observe Kayla walking with a couple of cheerleaders, Amber and Jenna, past his car; she was so caught up in their conversation and giggling with them that she didn't even realize he was inside.  He noticed that Kayla was sporting a cheerleader's uniform as well; apparently thanks to her new-found popularity, she had managed to make the cheerleading squad.  Owen's face darkened with rage as he observed the carefree smile on her face as she flung her thick hair back from her face and smiled at the others, totally oblivious to his presence.

 

"That Bitch!" he growled as they walked away from him, and he felt his own life rapidly falling apart.  "You're going to pay for what you did..."

 



Brian's Apartment Building

 

Gus stared at his father aghast and then back over at Justin; both men appeared uncomfortable as their eyes locked on each other's, a gesture that was not lost on him as all the pieces fell into place.

 

"He's your boyfriend?!" Gus said shocked "so you're the guy I've been competing against all this time?! And... those big dates you told me about...They were with Justin?!" Gus placed both his hands on either side of his head as if he could drown out the disturbing images impressed into his brain, but he was unsuccessful.

 

His mouth hung open in disbelief, still quite unable to believe it.  "Oh, my God!  And you!" he shouted as he walked closer to where Justin was standing.  "All that stuff you told me last night; all that was about my Dad?" 


Justin was too numb to do anything but mutely nod his head in verification as Gus's face turned red with both anger and embarrassment, suddenly feeling like an immense fool.

 

He shook his head as Justin raised a hand as if he was going to reach out and touch him to comfort him, but Gus shrunk back as if he had been burned.  Justin's eyes watered and his face fell as a tight-lipped Gus turned around to head back to his father who was still standing by the steps.

 

"This is SICK, Dad!  Twisted!  You can't ever see him again!"

 

"Gus..."

 

"NO!  Listen to me, Dad!  If you want to keep me in your life, you're going to have to throw him out of YOURS!"  At that moment, Gus didn't care about how much that might hurt his father or Justin; the only hurt he cared about right now was his and how he had been wronged.  The one, true person he thought he could always count on through good times and bad was turning out to be just as bad as everyone else who had let him down. 

 

Gus began to pace back and forth in agitation as he waited for his father's response.  Lashing out at him after a few seconds, he figured out the only way to triumph in this situation as he abruptly stopped to stare over at his father and shout, "CHOOSE!  Him or me, Dad!  Who's it going to be?  Because you can't have both of us in your life.  Pick one of us - NOW!"

 

"No...Gus...you don't mean that..."

 

Tears streamed down Gus's eyes as he told him defiantly, "The hell I don't!  I mean it, Dad!  I want a decision!"  He swallowed hard as he waited with bated breath, not quite sure WHAT his father would do.

 

Brian locked gazes with Justin as his own eyes glistened.  "Justin..." he whispered in a choked voice after a few seconds, and in that moment, as Brian peered over at him with deep sorrow and regret etched on his face, Justin knew; he knew he had made his decision, and his heart went crashing into a million pieces.

 

"Gus...Sonny Boy...I'm sorry, so sorry...I didn't know..." Brian murmured as he pulled his son into his arms and held onto him tightly, rocking him back and forth just like he did as a young child whenever he had nightmares. This, however, was the biggest nightmare of all - for all of them.  His chin resting on his son's shoulder, he looked over at Justin helplessly.

 

Justin could hear Gus's sobs against Brian's chest as his own arms slid around to embrace his father, seeking comfort.  Justin would get no comfort tonight, however; not from the man he loved.  He knew he could not be the cause of Brian and the son he loved so deeply being torn apart.  His mind reeled from the irony of it all; just as they had reconciled with each other, they were once more being ripped apart.  Only this time, he didn't see a way that it could ever be mended.

 

Tears running down his face in realization and finality, he turned and ran in the opposite direction from Brian and Gus, over to the second set of steps that led down to the downstairs and to the outside.  He felt smothered, stifled; not able to breathe.  He had to get out of there, as far away as he could possibly get from what he was seeing and feeling.  His feet flew down the metal stairs, almost masking Brian's voice calling out to him, as he kept running as fast as he could, miraculously reaching the bottom floor in record time without falling or tripping.

 

A few seconds later, through almost blinded eyes, he flung the front door wide open, hearing it bang against the exterior wall as he ran toward his bike.

 

"Don't go after him, Dad!" Gus pleaded as they broke apart and his father called after Justin when he saw him rushing away.  "Please..."

 

"Gus, I'm staying here with you, but I have to make sure he's okay," Brian tried to desperately explain; he had seen the utter desolation on his lover's face.  His gut twisted with a sense of foreboding as he grabbed Gus's hand and told him, "Come on!"  Gus fought from going at first, but finally deciding he had come out the victor in his bid for his father's love, he finally allowed his father to rush over to the steps and head downward toward the outside door with him following closely behind.

 


 

Justin wiped the tears from his eyes, his face puckered and red from all the crying he had done.  His heart was rent in two, never to be mended.  He would never fall in love again, or allow himself the heartbreak he was currently experiencing.  He wasn't meant to be loved or to love anyone in return; he was done with it all.  Not even caring that his jacket and backpack were still upstairs in Brian's loft, his helmet clattered to the ground as it fell off the bike when he hopped on and kick started the motor, leaving the protective device rocking back and forth where it lay nearby.

 

"Justin!  Wait!" he heard a voice as he turned to see Brian standing at the entrance, his arm wrapped around his son.  Tears still streaming down his face, he gunned the motor and sped away, not looking back.

 

His mind preoccupied with what had just happened, he slowed down momentarily at the exit to the parking lot, increasing his speed as he turned left and pulled out into traffic, just in time to collide with the front of a vehicle speeding down the street from the other direction.  His body somersaulted over the bike and onto the car before coming to a stop in the middle of the road as he lay in an unmoving, curled-up, bloody heap.

 

"Justin!" Brian screamed out in horror as he watched Justin get hit by the car and bounce over it, only to land on the hard pavement, his mind unable to fully comprehend what he was seeing.

 

"No!!!" He and Gus cried out then together, both faces contorted in stunned disbelief.