Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

Chapter 89 added, Mon., 10/8/12

 

Chapter 89:  You Better Call Him, Damn it!

 

            “Wow!  Haven’t slept this DAMN good in all of my life,” Ted woke up that same afternoon still floating cloud 69 (as a result of his his evening spent with Harold) and smiling all hearty-like and goofy to himself.  There might have never been a time prior that he can recall he felt so exuberantly ecstatically happy before. 

 

“Figaro… figaro… figaroooo,” Ted operatically sang to himself while both arms were raised high up in the air and he dramatically swung them back and forth, yawned, then balled his fists and used them as cotton balls to wipe the sleep from his eyes. 

 

“Figarooooooooo!” He crooned that highest note as he stretched his arms out wide one last time.  “How’s that for an encore, Todd?  You damn loser!”  He teasingly praised himself (at his nemesis Todd’s expense) as he lifted the covers and peeped down at his cock, and categorically and playfully spoke to his manhood.  “Hey, happy fellow; you’ve been quite an active one little beaver lately… or should I say BIG beaver (in your  case).  Keep up the good work… most of all JUST KEEP IT UP!” 

 

Ted then burst into jolly giggling; and he started to bounce out of bed just then but a quick peep at his land phone on the nightstand halted him.  A continuous blinking green light indicated that a message was waiting.  Still while smiling ear-to-ear to himself and taking for granted it was no other than Harry calling, Ted reached over and pressed the button.

 

‘Ted!  It’s me Ben.  Call me as soon as you get this.  I heard about Brian on the News… and I called his home line.  Justin wasn’t there (of course) but his grandmother did answer but she couldn’t tell me anymore than what I’ve already heard on the News or from the hospital (when I called there).  I then called Michael Novotny but I couldn’t get through to him though. So, I was hoping you just might have a little bit more information.  Poor Brian.  I can’t believe this thing has happened to him.  Justin must be beside himself with grief and worry.  Call me.’

 

“Huh?”  Ted pondered, “What the hell is he talking about?”   He then pressed the ‘return to caller’ button on his phone.

 

“Ted!  Finally!” Ben firmly stated.  “How is he, Ted?”

 

“Who?  Brian you mean?”

 

“Yes – Brian.  Of course Brian, Ted.”

 

“Umm, I don’t know what you’re talking about Ben.  Up until now, I was sure Brian was as good as he is usually.  Did something happen to him that I don’t know about?”

 

“Huh?  You mean you haven’t heard yet?”  Ben incredulously asked.  “Reports of Brian’s car accident have been on the News even down here where I am.  I would think it’s over the local News were you guys are.”

 

“Brian was in a car accident?  My God, Ben, this is the first I’m hearing of it.  I was out all night and slept the entire morning away.  I just woke up seconds ago.  Let me get up from here, get showered and dressed and I’ll go down to the hospital and… which one is he in?”

 

“Pittsburgh Mercy, Ted.”

 

“Okay, Ben.  I’ll get quickly dressed and head out there, visit Brian’s bedside, and I’ll call you right back with the status of his condition.  Bye for now.”

 

“Bye, Ted.  I’ll be anxiously waiting for your call.”

 

Ted then jumped quickly out of bed, rushed to the shower, got dressed and hurriedly drove out to Pittsburgh Mercy.

 

*****

 

“Pass to Brian Taylor-Kinney’s room, please?”

 

“One moment please,” the medical assistant checked her screen. “Sorry but…”

 

“But what… huh?”  Ted anxiously inquired.

 

“That patient is having limited visitors (family members only).”

 

“What?  What kind of fucking policy is that?  And besides, I AM a family member.”

 

“Oh,” the medical assistant didn’t put up any fuss.  She then gave Ted a pass and he took it and hurried over to the elevators, dashed quickly inside, and rode it up to ICU.

 

 

*****

 

            “Sorry to hear that,” Vivian expressed in her usual unemotional tone when Harold told her what happened to Brian.  “So, I guess you just going to have to ask his spouse instead.”

 

“What!  I don’t EVEN know his husband.”

 

“What difference does it make, Harold?  A spouse would want to help a relative of his dying spouse, especially in the case of a child whom his generosity might save her life.  Most rich folks are pretty generous with their money in that way.  Just look at all the people Oprah helped.  Not to mention all that Brian’s money has done for us so thus far, and all that YOU had to do was ask him for it.  Maybe his spouse is just as generous.  You go and ask Justin Taylor-Kinney for the money, Harold.”

 

“Spouse… spouse… spouse!  Vivian, why can’t you just refer to Justin as Brian’s husband just once in awhile.”

 

“Spouse, mate, partner, husband, whatever… what difference does it make what you call them.  Just go and ask Justin for the money, Harold.”

 

“No!  Why don’t you do it instead!  Why do it have to be me all the time!  And, besides, we might’ve had enough of the money left over that Brian had given us, had you not spent so much of it on things other than our daughter’s health.”

 

“Hey.  I spent what was left of the money because I finally thought, like you thought, that Rosalind was healed.”

 

“Bullshit!  You were extravagantly wasting loads of that money before we even got the first medical bill in the mail.   I only had to keep going back and forth to Brian, as often as I did, because of your outrageous squandering.  It was bad enough that I had to beg a cousin for that money, and one whom I wasn’t even in tight with (at first).  But now you’d tell me to ask a complete stranger for it.  Justin may be married to my cousin but he’s still a stranger to me.  We’ve never even as much been inside the same room together.  What would I look like begging, and showing up out of nowhere and asking the man for money, especially now, when he’s probably experiencing the darkest hours of his life.  I told you, damn it, Vivian; the man’s husband might actually be dying right now.  Some people ACTUALLY LOVE their spouse, Viviannnn!  Damn you!”  Harold cursed her and then turned his back to her as he marched away from the nurse’s station.  He then got to his daughter’s room and to her bedside.  His asinine and stonyhearted ex-wife stomped inside behind him.

 

*****

 

“Ted,” Justin, who was glued at his husband’s bedside holding one of Brian’s hands grasped tightly between both his, murmured when he just happened to look that way and saw his husband’s CFO (as well as dear friend) at the glass window looking in.  He then waved and motioned him to come inside the room.

 

Ted walked inside and up to Brian’s bedside and looked over at his boss (dear friend) and when he saw the many tubes projecting from Brian and all the bandages covering his body (especially those attached to both sides of his jaw), he could almost weep like a newborn but managed to maintain his composure.  He then looked away from Brian and then at Justin.  Next he looked at the other two people (an elderly man and a woman about Brian’s age) who were also in the room, but he didn’t recognize any of them but assumed they were probably Brian’s family members.  He courteously nodded at the man and woman and they nodded back, but no one said anything to him, and then he verbally addressed Justin.  “How is he?”  He concernedly asked.

 

“Brian’s alive at least, Ted; even more so NOW than when we first came in here.  A few hours ago I was so certain that I would become a widower.”  Justin heavily sighed then as he trembled; and Ted could tell he was trying profusely NOT to have a nervous breakdown.  “And although he’s nowhere near out of the woods yet, I’m a lot more hopeful and optimistic than I had been.”  Justin’s voice neurotically trembled, as he attempted to tone down the grogginess as an effort to guard off the profound desire to burst into fitting sobbing again.  He squeezed his husband’s hand even tighter that moment.

 

“I’m so sorry, Justin,” Ted soothingly expressed.  He could see the brave front Justin was trying to muster, along with all the signs that he had been crying his soul out, earlier.  The eyes were bloodshot, puffy and tired looking; face tear stained, and he couldn’t seem to stop shivering where he sat.  In addition, Ted had little doubt that Justin had slept any or left Brian’s side since the accident; and during the drive over there he heard a broadcast reported over his radio that claimed that the accident occurred at the same time that Harold and he were heading to Babylon (that was many hours ago).  That is a long time for someone not to have slept.  Ted summed Brian husband’s appearance up in one really neat sentence:  Justin was an absolute fall-down mess… current poster child for grievance, even.

 

“Hey,” Ted tried to phrase it delicately, “When was the last time you’ve slept or eaten, Justin?”

 

“Ted, please… don’t nag me about any of that stuff right now.”

 

“No one’s been able to get him to leave Brian’s side to do any of that,” Claire spoke up.

 

“You are?”  Ted courteously asked.

 

“Oh, I’m Brian’s sister Claire, and this is our father Jack.”

 

“I’m Ted Schmidt.  Brian’s CFO at Kinnetic…”

 

“And friend,” Justin added, and had it been a more pleasant occasion Ted would had smiled hearty at Justin’s declaration just then but instead a rather sober expression came over his countenance.

 

“Justin?” Jack addressed his son-in-law, “When was the last time you’ve been to the restroom (at least)?”  He subtlety asked.

 

“Umm…” Justin moaned.

 

“I think it’s about time that you go and take care of that, son,” Jack encouraged him.

 

“Okay.  You might be right,” Justin softly garbled; and as much as he hated to leave his husband's side, he dreaded more the idea of pissing on himself again, and run the risk of Brian’s doctor throwing him out of ICU once more, so he decided to take his father-in-law’s advice.

 

“I’ll walk with you, Justin,” Ted offered.  “I have to go there too.”

 

*****

 

            “Ma,” Michael lamentably moaned as Debbie and he were sadly strolling along quietly after they had just previously exited the morgue.  They had just concluded making arrangements for Vic’s body to be transported to the funeral home and then they were headed home together to notify people of his death, as well as plan his memorial and burial services.

 

Michael and Debbie had been driven there inside the same ambulance that carried Vic, and they preferred to walk home rather than take a cab. 

 

“I wonder how Brian’s doing?”  Debbie solemnly remarked as she stared blindingly down at the pavement.

 

“I’ve been wondering if he’s yet alive,” Michael replied, as his eyes shifted down and looked at the ground as well.

 

“Michael… don’t think so negatively like that.”  Debbie jerked her head up and looked over at him.

 

“Ma, you were there; you heard what the doctors told Justin and the rest of Brian’s family.”

 

“Yeah, but I’ve also known doctors to be wrong.  I remember when your Uncle Vic was first diagnosed with AIDS, they told him he had a lot less years to live than he really did.  He hung on four years longer than they said he would.  Those damn doctors don’t know everything, Michael.  So, if they were wrong about Vic that can very damn well be wrong about Brian too.”

 

“It’s all my fault, ma.”

 

“Oh, Michael.  You’re not letting what Justin said… get to you… are you?  He was just so upset and needed to vent on someone.  I don’t think he REALLY meant any of what he said.”

 

“Not only did he mean it, ma, but he was right.  All this is my fault.”

 

“It’s Fate’s fault, Michael.  We don’t know why things like this happen no more than we can control it.  These things just sometimes happen.”

 

“You really think it’s just a coincidence that Uncle Vic died this morning and Brian is in the hospital fighting for his life at the same time, provided he isn’t already dead now?”

 

“What else could it be but fate, Michael?  I don’t see what one thing has to do with the other.”

 

“Vic is not the only one who died, ma, or might die… all those other people who died on the O.R. table last night, and Brian and that other person still might die too, and although they said Judge Horvath would live, they didn’t necessary say want condition he’s in.  All that BLOOD and everyone's GRIEF is on my hands, ma.”

 

“Michael.  Stop saying that.”

 

“But it’s true, ma.  Everything Justin accused me of is true.  Brian had that accident because he wasn’t focusing on the road; and he wasn’t paying attention ALL on the account of him being angry at me.”

 

“How would you know that for sure, Michael?  You weren’t with Brian at the time.  For all you know, it could have been one of the other motorists that caused the accident.  It was four cars for fuck sake!  Who would ever know which driver was responsible or if anyone was at fault.  Maybe there was a faulty traffic light at that intersection or something or an animal ran in the center of the road and caused it.  Nobody knows what the fuck happened!”

 

“Still, ma, even if that’s all true, it’s still my fault because Brian wouldn’t even have been out on that road at that particular moment and time had it not be for me.”

 

“What?  How do you figure?”

 

“I’ve done some horrific things to Brian and Justin lately, ma.  They found out about some of those things and last night Brian was coming after me; and I, like the coward I am, fled from him.  I knew he was coming to my place to confront me and I had promised to stay there and wait for him, but I left my apartment and hid out at Ben’s place instead.  I was even going to run away with Ben to San Francisco last night trying to avoid Brian.  I knew Brian and Justin could have me arrested for what I had done to them.”

 

“Arrested?  What exactly did you do, Michael?”

 

*****

 

       “You didn’t do shit, Vivian, to help our daughter… never have.”  Harold scoffed her several moments after they had exited Rosalind’s room, and he was escorting his ex-wife to her car.  He was so anxious to get her out of his face.  The moment she would be gone, he’ll return to his daughter’s bedside again.  In fact, he’ll arrange for a bed to be put in there so he can sleep near his daughter that night.

 

“I did it all,” Harold continuously ripped into her as they were now outside the building and heading to the parking lot.  “It was me who swallowed all my pride and asked Brian for all that money.  Do you even know what it does to a man to have to ask another man for something, especially for help with his family (especially his little girl’s life)?  When I made that first call to Brian, I felt like a total failure… I actually felt like a pan-handling street bum, as well as an undeserving hypocrite because of how I used to bully Brian when we were teens.”

 

“So what are you going to do, Harold; let our daughter die JUST because of your foolish pride?”

 

“No, I’m not going to let my daughter die.  And, fuck you, Vivian, for even insinuating that I would!”

 

“So, you will ask Brian’s spouse for the money after all?”

 

“I’ll do whatever I have to, Vivian,” Harold accentuated as they arrived at Vivian’s car.  “You have a good day, damn it,” Harold sardonically remarked as he left her there and then he returned back to the hospital and pampered his sick child.

 

*****

 

            “How about coming to the cafeteria with me, Justin, for some coffee and a quick bite?” Ted offered as they were done in the restroom and had just exited it.  “I can tell from just looking at you that you haven’t eaten or slept since this tragic thing happened to your husband.  You’ve got to take care of yourself though, especially if you plan to be any help to Brian.  You’re not going to make HIM better by making YOURSELF sick… you know.”

 

“I know you’re right, Ted.  It just I don’t want to be away from Brian’s bedside if…” Justin just couldn’t bring himself to say it especially considering how much hope he’s managed to latch onto over the last few hours.  “I can’t be apart from him now, Ted… not even to go to the cafeteria.  However, if you want to go there yourself and get me the coffee and a sandwich and bring it back to Brian’s room, I’ll at least try to take a swallow and a bite, but I’m not going down there with you.”

 

“Okay, Justin, I’ll go to the cafe and bring that back for you.”

 

“Thanks, Ted.”  Justin then hurried back to his husband, while Ted made his way over to the elevators.

 

*****

 

            “So, sweetheart?  What did you do that might give Brian and Justin cause to have you arrested, Michael?”

 

“I don’t even want you to know that, ma.  I’m too ashamed to even say.  So many people warned me to stay out of Brian and Justin’s affairs, but in my wildest imagination I never thought or meant for things to get this much out of hand though.  And if Brian dies, ma, Justin doesn’t have to come after me, because I don’t know what I’ll do to my own self.”

 

“Michael, stop talking like that.”

 

“I shouldn’t have interfered, Ma.  And, this not the first time that I’ve interfered.  You know, it was ME that ruined Brian and Justin’s first marriage.”

 

“What?  What are you talking about?”  Debbie was so stunned she froze solid right there on the sidewalk as she shockingly stared icy cold at her son.  “How did you ruin their first marriage, Michael!”

 

 

*****

 

            “Justin, here’s your drink and food,” Ted murmured his name when he arrived back with the coffee and sandwich. 

 

“Just put it down there on that dresser,” Justin ordered.  He was still gripping tight to Brian’s hand and didn’t want to release it just so he could eat something. 

 

“Yeah, but you be sure to eat some.”

 

“I’ll get to it eventually, Ted.”

 

Ted then addressed Justin’s in-laws.  “You will be sure that he does eat something.”

 

“We will,” Jack and Claire chorused.

 

“Justin.”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“I’ll be going now.  I need to make a call to Ben Bruckner.  He called me earlier; he’s really concerned about how Brian’s doing; and I promised him I would call him right back once I found out something.  My prayers are with Brian and you, Justin.”

 

“Thanks you, Ted, for everything.”

 

“You’re welcome, Justin, but please drink that coffee and eat a bite, and if you can… get some sleep.”

 

“Sure… later, Ted.”

 

“Bye, Justin.  I’ll be in touch.”

 

“I know you will.  Bye.”

 

“Bye.”  Ted finally left and almost bumped a classy-looking and attractive old woman on his way out.

 

“Excuse me,” he said to her.

 

“Sure,” she politely nodded at Ted and then she walked into Brian’s room, while Ted headed out of ICU and to the elevators, got on one; and the moment he was outside the hospital he called Ben.  However, the moment he concluded his call withi Ben,  someone else called him.

 

*****

 

            “Grandma?” Justin was surprised but filled with sentiment to see her walk into the room.

 

“No one had called me back to tell me what's happening, Justin.  But I was so worried, so I had to come here and see, for myself, how my two favorite grandsons are doing.  So, I took Gus to his two mommies, and… Oh, my God,” tears instantaneously streamed from her eyes when she looked at her grandson-in-law lying so helplessly and motionless on the bed; and her biological grandson looked sick enough to be lying in a bed right next to him.