Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

chapter added Wed., 5/2/12

Chapter 8:  How High Was I?

Shortly after Justin had left, Brian and Michael finished eating breakfast.  Brian then made a business call and sat at the kitchen table and conversed with his associate while Michael got up and went into the bathroom.  Around about the time Brian was wrapping up his phone call, Michael was done in the bathroom, and he came out of there and went back into Brian’s bedroom. 

Brian finished his call only seconds later and joined Michael inside the bedroom.  “Michael, what are you doing in here?”  He asked when he walked in on Michael tidying up his bed.

“Huh?  I’m making up the bed for you.”

“Why?”

“I slept in it last night with you, so why not?”

“Why not?  I’ll tell you why not:  you aren’t my maid; and you’re definitely not the new little wifey around either, Michael.  Don’t think making breakfast for me, sleeping with  me and tidying up my bed is going to be an ongoing routine around here.”

“But I could be.”

“Could be what… MY MAID?”  Brian mocked him.

“You know what I meant, Brian – the latter.”

“The latter!  You’ve got to be kidding me, Michael – I would never make you my wife!”

“Brian?”

“Don’t ‘Brian’ me, Michael.  You couldn’t possibly be serious.”

“Why not, Brian?  Why don’t you just give us another chance?  We were good together at one time and we can be something even better than that now… I’m sure of it.”

“We weren’t that good when we were together, Michael.  I mean fuck, Michael – you were my boy friend and you cheated on me with someone (whom at that time was a higher bidder).   That goes to show that you’re the ultimate gold digger.  And besides, I had one failed marriage but I went into that one at least thinking it might work.  However, I know better with you.  You and I would never work; and at least there were times with Justin that he was able to fool me into believing that my money didn’t matter to him and I don’t think he cheated on me (not even once); but you were an absolute obvious gold digger and you did cheat on me.”

“Ultimate and obvious gold digger – what are you talking about, Brian?  Justin’s the one… I never was.”

“Michael, I remember why you and I broke up.  You left me for a someone who had more money than me at the time.”

“That’s not true, Brian.  I only fell for David Cameron because he was such a smooth operator and he convinced me that he loved me and would give me what you never would – he promised me marriage.  He was a wiz for telling people what they wanted to hear and could convince anyone or anything, and that is why his Ponzi scheme worked so well.  I left you because someone else convinced me that he loved me even enough to marry me.  Justin left you when he knew he had hung around long enough to get a good settlement in the divorce.”

“That’s the point, Michael:  David’s smooth talking shouldn’t have worked so well on you.  I knew you and I never loved each other but I thought at least at some point we were at least half-decent friends and respected each other.  Now he’s doing life in prison and you’re both completely broke now.  So, you thought you’d come strolling back into my life.”

“It’s not like that, Brian.  I’m back here because I miss you.  And, you need to take some responsibility for our break up.  It wasn’t like you were that great of a boy friend.  You weren’t giving me what I wanted.  I wanted you to marry me but no sooner than I leave you, what do you do – but marry Justin.”

“Fuck, Michael!  It wasn’t the same.  I loved Justin damned it!  I never loved you.”

“Well, it’s over between the two of you now.  Justin took advantage of you, Brian, in ways that I never did.”

“So what, everybody does – don’t they, Michael?  Everybody wants Brian Kinney’s money… don’t they!  Well, I’m tired of people taking advantage of me.  So leave the fucking linen on my bed alone, Michael,” Brian scoffed as he snatched the blanket out of Michael’s hand.  “Can you go, please?”  He then ordered him out of his apartment.

“Hey!  But what about what we shared last night, Brian?”  Michael pleaded, “Fuck, we did it without a condom last night.”

“What we shared last night!  And, what did we share last night but a ‘drunken fuck’ that neither one of us can even remember!”

“Brian, give us a chance.  I’ll make a much better spouse than Justin ever would have.”

“You can never make me a better spouse than Justin, Michael.  I don’t love you, Michael… never did.  I would never marry anyone that I don’t love… it was hard enough for me to marry someone that I did love.”

“So, you’re just throwing me out like that, Brian?  I mean absolutely nothing to you?  You, my mom, and my Uncle Vic were like a family at one time.”

“Michael, I don’t hate you.  I’m just never going to be in a relationship with you again.  However, Michael, have you ever considered getting a job?  I don’t think you’ve ever worked a day in your life.  A job might be a good thing for you.   And if you ever want a job… any job (for the exception of working inside my place of residence) I could give you one.  That is something I can give you… but I will never give you companionship again.”

“I don’t want a job, Brian.  I want you.”

“You can’t have me.  I’m not available to you or anyone else... NOT EVER AGAIN!  I'm completely through with relationships!"

“Brian…”

“Leave… go, Michael… leave.”

Michael huffed and puffed.  “But…”

“I mean it – leave.”

“Fuck!”  Michael gave up and marched out of Brian’s bedroom.  “Briannnn,” Michael yelled when he got the door open to leave.  “Maybe we can talk later, Brian.  I’ll call you!”

“Don’t bother!”  Brian yelled back at him.  “It’s over, Michael!”

However, Michael thought he would bother Brian later; and he'd just might use that offer of employment as the perfect excuse to be in Brian's company again.

*

“Who is it?”  Justin answered his doorbell around nine p.m. Saturday night.

“It’s me, Ethan; buzz me up.”

‘Oh, shit,’ Justin moaned to himself.  He really didn’t feel up to Ethan’s company or anyone else’s (except for Brian’s of course).  “Come on up,” he offered regardless.  However, he figured he’ll quickly get rid of him when he gets there.

“What’s up?”  Justin asked upon opening the door to Ethan.

“I thought you might want to go out tonight?” 

“No, I’m not in the mood,” Justin yawned.  “I just want a quiet night in.”

“Why?  So you can sit around in the dark and pine over Brian?”

“No!  It’s just you and I have been going out a lot lately… I need a break, Ethan; and for your information, I’d like you to know, that you're full of shit – I don’t sit around pining over my ex-husband.”

“Well, I hope not.  And, if you would let me, I can guarantee you that you won’t be pining over him tonight.”

“What?”

“Justin, have you ever been to Liberty Avenue?”

“Of course, I’ve been there.  Which homosexual hasn’t?”

“You’ve ever been inside a club down there?”

“No!  I don’t hang out in clubs.”

“Well, you should start.  It’s this one called Babylon and you wouldn’t believe this place.  It’s a lot more than just drinking and dancing.  All kinds of recreational activities take place there.  There are live shows, contests, and the occasional celebrity drops by every now and then I’m told; and there's a place called the 'backroom'... and you wouldn't believe what I'm told takes place back there. You got to go down there with me, Justin.  It’s the perfect atmosphere to rid yourself of anything that is weighing you down.  I’m not going to take no for an answer, Justin.”

“But Ethan…”

“Get fucking dress, Justin!  I meant it – I’m not taking NO for an answer!”

“Okay,” Justin reluctantly gave in.  “I’ll get dress,” he said and then he scurried away to the bedroom to change his clothes.

*

“Hey, Bri, sweetie,” Emmett answered his cell.

“How about meeting me at Babylon tonight?”  Brian asked.

“Again, tonight, sweetie.  We were just there last night.  Are you hooked already?”

“My own very private playground.  I might not have been kidding, Emmett, when I said I just might buy the place.”

“Oh, sweetie, I like to go with you but I can’t get away this minute.  I’m working tonight.  I’m doing some late night planning for this couple who has a tight schedule and tonight’s one of the rare times we all can assemble together.  And, I see myself with the couple until wee hours in the morning.  I tell you what though:  why don’t you go to Babylon all on your lonesome, and if I can I’ll join you later, but if not, you party your pretty ass off without me.”

“I wouldn’t want to do too much partying.”

“No such thing as too much partying, Brian.”

“It is when you wake up the next morning and find yourself lying in bed next to your ex.”

“Oh, you and Justin fucked last night?  I bet that was a helluva lot of fun!”

“Fuck!  I wished it was Justin!”

“Oh?  If it wasn’t Justin, then who was it?”

“The ex-boyfriend that I dated and broke up with just before I met Justin.  However, I can’t remember how we ended up in bed together.  I guess I must have run into him at Babylon last night and took him home with me.”

“No you didn’t.”

“Huh?  What you do you mean:  no I didn’t?”

“You didn’t take anyone from Babylon home with you last night.  You and I left the club together and shared the same cab and the driver let you out at your place first.  You went inside your building alone.”

“What!”

“You were alone, Brian.  So, your ex either came around to your place later last night or accosted you somewhere inside the building.”

“Oh,” Brian remarked puzzlingly, and was beginning to wonder.  “Emmett, do you recall how high I was?”

“You were high as a kite.  I kind of wanted to help you into the building but I was almost just as stoned and I figured if worst came to worst, your doorman would probably take care of you.”

“Would you say I was too high to fuck anyone?”

 “You were all fucked out, Brian.  You fucked so many people at Babylon that I think it would have taken an entire bottle of Viagra to get your dick rising again!”

“Hmm.”  Brian pondered and wonder more than ever about what happened OR DIDNT' HAPPENED between Michael and him.

“Well, gotta go now.  Talk to you later, sweetie; and I might or might not see you at Babylon tonight.  However, don’t you miss out on the account of me.  You go have your fun, Bri.”

“Okay… will do… bye, Emmett.”

“Bye,”

Brian then got dressed and headed out there.