Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

Chapter 75 added Sun., 9/2/12

Chapter 75:  Grow Some Balls



    “Hey!  What crawled up your ass this morning?”  Michael demanded when he sat down to breakfast with Ethan that Monday.  They were inside a restaurant not far from PIFA having breakfast together and Ethan didn’t seem his normal self.  He seemed rather despondent and disinterested in their meeting.  “And what happened last night when I (first) called you?”


“Huh?”  Ethan annoyingly replied.


“Why did you cut me off so abruptly like you did when I called you last night; and then you had the audacity to turn your phone off.  I had preferred we talked last night rather than have to meet this morning.”


“About what?”


“About our plans regarding you know what.”


“You mean Brian and Justin?”


“Keep your voice down, damn it!“  Michael snapped.  “Yeah.  The time is approaching.  We need to finalized this thing.  Justin and you have been hanging out often enough lately for Brian to be suspicious enough.”


“No,”  Ethan sounded unenthused.


“What do you mean no.  You have done everything I told you… haven’t you?“


“Of course I have, Michael.  But like I’ve been telling you all along for the last two months:  nothing's working.    It seems no matter what I say or do Brian never gets jealous or suspicious, he REALLY believes that Justin and I are nothing but friends.  Especially so after Justin told him about my ‘so called’ heart condition and how concerned he is for me.  Brian brought completely into that explanation, and mainly because Justin’s grandfather recently died of an heart attack.  Therefore, Brian isn’t the least bit intimidated by our relationship.  It seems everything we do to trump up those two seems to backfire into our faces, Michael.  So, this seems to hardly be worth the effort anymore.”


“It would be if you put forth a bit more effort, Ethan.  You‘re not bailing on me are you… it’s starting to sound like it?”


“I…,” Ethan started to exploded at Michael and tell him he wanted out of his manipulative brainless scheme but he needed something from Michael and felt that if he jumped ship right then and there he might not get it.  So, he decided that momentarily he would keep his cool and pretend that he was still on board with his plan.  However, the moment he gets what he wants… he’ll leave Michael hanging dry.


“Are you still having lunch with Justin today?”  Michael asked.


“Yeah.  But…”


“But what?”


“Nothing.  I was just curious as to how soon are we going out to West Virginia again?”


“What are you asking me that for?  We already agreed to go tonight right after you get off work.  Don’t you remember?”


“Yeah, I remember.  I was just checking.  I have to get to work now.  See you later on tonight.”  Ethan rose from his seat.


“Why in such a hurry, Ethan?  We haven’t even started on our breakfast yet and you don’t start work for a few hours yet?”


“I got to go, Michael.  I have a very busy day at school today and should get in a little early.”


“Okay.  I’ll pick you up tonight and we drive over to West Virginia.”


“Okay, swell,” Ethan said and then he hurried out of there.


*****

        “Hey, what’s up?”  Ethan said as he sat down to lunch with Justin inside the Liberty Diner that same day and was surprised Justin brought his stepson Gus with him.


“Everything’s cool, Ethan.  And, how’s things with you this morning… especially with your heart?”


“Good, Justin.  My hearts been just fine lately.  And, hi, Gus.”


“Hi, Mr. Ian,” Gus greeted him back.


“It’s Ethan, kid,” he corrected him.


“My daddy calls you Ian.”


“Your dad’s a clown, kid.  My name is Ethan.  I ought to know.”


“Gus,“ Justin soothed him.  “Your father’s no clown.  But my friend is right, his name is Ethan not Ian.”


“Why do daddy call him Ian then?”


“Your daddy made a mistake,” Justin simply told Gus.  He wasn’t about to attempt to explain to a six-year-old the mechanics of why Brian calls Ethan that.  He wasn’t quite sure of how to go about it anyway if he had tried to explain it.


“My daddy and daddy-Justin are taking me and grandma-Tayla to West Vaginya,” Gus announced to Ethan.


“Oh?”  Ethan crooned and managed to give Justin a curious look rather than the stunned one he was really feeling.


“Yeah, we’re going out there for a little mini vacation.”  Justin rather tell people that now than tell them that it’s Brian and his anniversary.  People’s reaction to their celebrating after only three months of marriage have become overwhelmingly exhausting.


“It’s my daddies’ anniversary,” Gus surprisingly volunteered.


“Huh?  Really, Justin?  But Brian and you have only been married about three months… how romantic.”


“Oh really, Ethan.”  Justin chuckled surprised by that response and was highly amazed that nothing about it sounded the least bit sardonic or condescending.   It appeared that Ethan had actually meant it.  “Hey, by the way, what’s up with you?  Something about you seem quite different this morning?”  Justin acknowledged a rather upbeat change in Ethan disposition.  “Did something amazing happen over the weekend or something?”


“Oh well, you dragged it out of me.”


“I hardly did any such thing but if you’re that anxious to spill the beans by all means then spill.”


“I have a new boyfriend.  He’s fantastic, Justin.”


“What!”  Justin transposed into all smiles and giggles then.  “You’ve finally found someone to replace me.”


“Hey!  He’s hotter than you even, Justin.”


“Oh really?  I didn’t think you thought anyone on this planet was hotter than me, Ethan.  Who the f… I mean,” Justin instantly curved his language in front of his son, “Who is that guy?”


“His name is Chris Hobbs.  He’s a dream beau, Justin.”


“I bet,” Justin chortled.  “Well, congratulations to you, Ethan.  I’m so happy for you.”


“I’m happy for myself.”


“Congratulations, Mr. Ethan,” Gus congratulated him too.


“Well, thank you, Gus.  You‘re one really cute kid after all.”


“You’re welcome, Mr. Ethan.”


“So when do Brian and I meet this Chris Hobbs guy?”  Justin asked.  “Brian and I have to arrange for you to bring him to dinner one night soon.”


“Really?  Justin, I just don’t know.”


“What you mean you don’t know, Ethan.  I was really serious, when I said I’m happy for you, and from that big old smile stretched across your face I feel I‘m not the only one SERIOUS.  You really like this guy, I can tell; and I TRULY wish you the best.  I also wish that Brian’s old ex Michael Novotny could be so lucky and would finally find someone too.”


“What, Justin?  Michael Novotny?  I thought that Brian and you both would hate that guy by now.”


“Oh?  But what would you know about that?”


“Umm.”  Ethan had to think fast.  “I just happened to have witnessed the way he left your grandfather’s funeral reception that day.  So, I just figured something pretty heavy had to have gone down between the three of you for him to go storming away in the manner in which he did.  He seemed really steamed about something that day.”


“You’re right.  He was.  But Brian and I don’t hate him any though.  Mostly, we sympathize with him.  Deep down inside we really think there’s a decent person underneath all that chaotic frenzy he puts himself through, but that’s only if he can finally get beyond his obsession with Brian.  He doesn’t seem to realize it, but it’s his preoccupation with my husband that holds him back and makes life so miserable for him.”


“Oh,” Ethan casually responded in an effort not to seem too interested, although he was in total agreement with Justin.


“So, when exactly are you guys going to West Virginia?”  Ethan tried to keep the anxiousness out of his voice and attempted to sound as flippant as he could.


“Brian can only spare four days from work.  So, we are leaving Sunday of this week and then returning Thursday.”


“Oh, that soon… huh?”  Again, Ethan tried to keep the panic out of his voice.  “Well, have a fantastic time.”


“Thanks,”  Justin and Gus chorused.  “We most definitely will,” Justin then assured Ethan.  “In fact, Brian owns the ranch we going to stay at.  Maybe one day in the near future we can invite Chris and you to come out there and be our guests for a few days.”


“Really, Justin?”


“Of course… why not, Ethan?”  Justin chuckled.


“Umm… umm… that’s really nice of you.”


“Nice of me?  It’s a lot more than that.  You and I really managed to bury the hatchet over the last couple of months.  I feel we are better friends now than we ever were… even more so than when we used to date.  And, I think Brian’s even mellowing up to you a little bit.  Would you believe he actually referenced you by your rightful name one day last week?”


“Really?  You’re telling me that Brian no longer despises me.  And, that he’ll be okay with me coming around for dinner and visiting with you at your ranch?  That‘s a big leap.”


“Hey, there might not be anything like an ex-lover getting a new lover makes the current one feel a lot more secure.  Not to say that Brian had any insecurities to begin with when it comes to your and mine relationship.  Brian knows you and I are only just friends.”


“What are you trying to say?  Are you saying your husband doesn’t have a jealous bone in his body?”


“What jealous bone mean?”  Gus asked.


“Gus, just finish eating your meal,” Justin ordered him and then he readdressed Ethan‘s question.  “Not when it comes to you and me he doesn’t.”


“Really?  I think you’re right.  I’ve noticed that, but…“


“But what?“


“Isn’t that highly unusual that anybody’s spouse would be comfortable with him spending so much time with the ex?  I don’t think many couples would be as comfortable as Brian seems.”


“Well, let’s put it this way, Ethan, Brian is as assured that nothing s…,” he paused.  He didn’t want to say the word ‘sexual’ while Gus was sitting there lingering on Ethan's and his every word.  “Brian and I both feel that you are to me what Michael is to Brian.  I could never be suspicious of anything that Brian and Michael might do when they are alone together, and Brian feels the same where you and I are concerned.  We both know that those relationships can’t be anything but completely platonic.”


“What does play-tonic mean?”  Gus asked.


“Gus, I told you to concentrate on your food and not on Ethan's and mine conversation.  Can you do that for me please?”


“Okay.  But can I have some ice cream?”


“Sure you can… in fact… Debbie,” Justin called out to her and she came from behind the counter and rushed over.


“Yeah, Sunshine, can I get you something else?”  Debbie offered.


“Yeah, Deb.  How about some ice cream for Gus and a refill on my coffee… Ethan, would you like a refill too?”


“Please.”


“Okay, coming right up,” Debbie said, “Anything else?”


“Yeah.  Can I trouble you,” Justin whined, “To take Gus to the counter over there with you for a few minutes?”


“You don’t have to ask twice, sweetie.  You know how much I love Brian and your little darling,” Debbie assured him.


“Thanks, Debbie.”


“Come on, Gussie, sweetheart,” Debbie took him by the his little hand and led him to the counter with her and out of hearing range of Justin and Ethan’s conversation.


“Wow!“  Ethan resumed conversing where they had left off.  “So, you say Brian isn’t the least bit jealous about us.  That’s really amazing to have a level of trust like that.”


Justin’s mouth then solemnly gape opened, and Ethan noted his astonishment and was quickly reminded of how over the last two months he had been keeping alive the notion inside Justin’s head that Brian‘s cheating on him with some man named Harold/Harry.  As well as aided Michael in the prevention of keeping the two men from meeting face to face.  However, at that moment, it didn’t cause him to gloat inside as it usually had done.  


However, Ethan wasn’t too worried because he figured when he meets with Michael that evening, and do what he plans to do, that entirely ridiculous fiasco would suddenly come to an abrupt end.


The two males then sat there and ate their meals and enjoyed delightful chitchatting but Ethan was more anxious than ever for it to be evening already.

 
*****



    “So Ted, have you arranged those one-on-one meetings with Vance and Stockwell like I asked you?”  Brian inquired as his CFO and he were just wrapping up one of their routine briefing sessions.  They were in a more relaxed setting where Brian was seated on the white couch inside his office and Ted sat in one of the matching soft chairs (designed to seat a single person).


“Most certainly did, Boss; and, I kept them in the dark, just like you asked me to.  They most certainly will be stunned.”


“Good,” Brian delightfully smirked, “Just where I want them.”


“I bet, Boss,” Ted said as he started gathering his papers and stuffing them back into his folder.


“Have a second?”  Brian asked.  “Sit and relax a bit, Ted.  The phones seem rather quiet for a change.”


“Sure,” Ted stopped ruffling with the papers and sat back in his chair and folded one leg over the other.


“Something to drink, Ted?”  Brian offered as he got up from the couch and walked over to the mini-bar.


“Yes thanks, Bri.  I’ll have the same that you’re having.”


Brian poured both their drinks and then returned, gave Ted his and then he sat back down on the couch.



“So, Theodore.”


Ted knew whenever Brian refers to him by his full first name he’s about to either reprimand him or tease him about something or both in Brian’s case.  So, he put on his game face ready for the attack.


“So, how’s your love life?”


Ted almost choked on his drink just then.


“That bad… huh?”  Brian further teased.  “Hmm…” Brian pondered for a second.  “Whatever happened with what’s his face… that cab driver… Bo somebody?”


“It wasn’t Bo, Brian.  It was Joe… Joseph Massey actually.”


“And so?  What happened; did you ever get to hit that… or he hit you?”


“I’ve been busy,” Ted tried to shrug it off.


“Been BUSY… I hope that means what it ought to mean.  You‘ve been BUSY tapping Joe’s ass, Ted… or getting yours tapped?  So, once again… who‘s the TOP and who‘s the BOTTOM?”


“I mean busy doing my job around here.”


“Too busy to get laid, Theodore.  I don’t believe in that.  If someone as busy as me can find time to do the deed… anybody can.”


“Yeah, I second that,” Ted enviously noted, “Regardless of my impeccable accounting skills, I can’t began to count how many times you had your spouse Justin up here in the office over the last couple of months?  And, I see you finally filled up the condom machine after all these years.”


“Hey, got to make it happened whenever and wherever feasible.”


“Really, Brian?  You are probably the only executive on the planet who does his OWN spouse inside his office.  Everyone else fucks the spouse at home and does his mistress at work.  Does Justin have to make an appointment with you for that sort of thing?”


“Not hardly;  and besides, I don’t have a mistress… or a… what do you call it in case of two men…”


“I don’t know… maybe a mistress is referred to as a mister in that case.”


They both roared in laughter.


“You really don’t… do you?”  Ted asked.


“Huh?  Don’t what?”


“Cheat on Justin?”


“No.  I don’t.”  Brian seemed rather flippant but yet terribly sincere.


“That’s really incredible,” Ted awed.


“What is?”  Brian asked.


“That you don’t cheat on your spouse.  You know, Brian, how rare it is that a man doesn’t cheat on his mate… gay or straight?  Especially a man that is so powerful like yourself.   They say power is one of the strongest aphrodisiacs, you know; and I see how other gay men look at you, Brian… and how they look at your husband the same way.  How do Justin and you do it?  I assumed he doesn’t cheat on you either?”


“I think you’re right.  He doesn’t cheat on me either that I know of, Ted.”


“Well?  How do you do it?”


“Hey, don’t wander off the subject, Theodore.  I asked you about Bo, first?”


“That’s Joe.”


“So what happened… or is happening with Joe?”


“Umm,” Ted stalled.


“Ummmm…”  Brian teased, “Umm… NOTHING… I gather.  What happened there?  I’m assuming you did attempt to hop on top of it… no pun intended.”


“Well, actually it’s been much like I said.  I’ve been too busy.”


“Don’t give me that BULL, Theodore.  You know where this guy works.  Give him a call, damn it.”


“And say what?”


“I don’t know… ask him his dick size or something.  That will definitely get things rolling; unless he tells you that he’s only four inches or less… and I can see that putting a damper on things,” Brian burst into laughter.


“Funny, Boss,” Ted snapped at Brian, and then he stood up and started accumulating his stuff again and got ready to leave.


“Catch you later, Theodore.  But hey!”


“Yeah?”


“Make the call, damn it!  Grow some balls for once, Thedore.”