Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

 

Chapter 7:  The Really Good Relationships Are Wasted On The Wrong People

“Hmm,” Brian murmured when he looked up from his plate at Michael after his doorbell rang.

“It’s pretty earlier in the morning,” Michael acknowledged, “for someone to be at the door?”

“Yeah,” Brian nodded in agreement, “I wonder who that is?”  And, then Brian got up to answer it and left Michael inside the kitchen alone.

Brian quickly scurried over to the door and looked through the peephole before he opened it.  “Justin,” he softly whispered and his heart started beating sporadically that instant.  He took a very deep breath and exhaled and then he opened the door.  “Ju… Ju.. Justin,” he said and that might have been the first time Justin ever known Brian to stutter.

“Hi,” Justin greeted him.

“Hi,” Brian greeted him back and his hands immediately nestled inside the back pockets of his jeans.

And, they stood there awhile just silently staring at each other.  “Can I come in?”  Justin finally requested.

“Sure,” Brian stretched the door open wider and step to the side to let him in. “Come right in?”

“Brian-n-n!”  Michael called out to him.

“Michael’s here?”  Justin asked and just then Michael walked inside the room.

“Hi, Justin,” Michael greeted him (in a very low pitched voice). 

“Hi,” Justin nearly moaned at him.

“Do you two need to be alone?”  Michael asked.  “I can go back in the bedroom, Brian, and get the rest of my stuff.  I think I left my socks and shoes in there.  I’ll go in there collect my stuff and then I’ll scurry on out of here and get you guys your privacy.”

“No, you stay, Michael,” Justin commanded and then moved to leave.  He figured he just got the answer to his question just then.

“Justin,” Brian tried to stop him.

“Yeah?”

“Umm…” Brian had no idea what he should say to him, and especially with the distraction of Michael being in the room. 

“Yeah, Brian?  Is there something you want to say to me?”

“Yeah, um… good luck to you and Ian.”

“Who?  Who the hell is Ian?”

“Ethan Gold,” Brian clarified it.  “I assumed he’s that someone else you told me about.”

“Whatever, Brian… I guess it doesn’t matter that much now… does it?”

“What?”

“Obviously you got your Michael… and I got my someone else.”

“Michael?”

“It’s pretty obvious he spent last night inside your bed, Brian.”

“Should I leave the room, after all?”  Michael tried to sound all innocent and concerned but it seemed everything was playing out just like he wanted it to and to his absolute benefit.  He knew the line about his stuff being in the bedroom totally set the mood for the scene playing  right out in front of him.  That was all he needed to say to rid Justin’s mind of any doubt that he and Brian slept together last night (and fucked).   And, Brian’s in no position to say otherwise.  “Well,” Michael echoed, “Should I leave the room?”

“No, Michael you stay… I’m leaving,” Justin passively announced.

“Justin,” Brian stopped him.  “It’s not what you think.”

“Oh… then what is it, Brian… did Michael or did he not spend last night here in your bed?”

Brian sighed frustratingly as he ran his hair back with his palm.  “Umm… yes… but… oh, what the fuck… I supposed Ian spent all night in yours last night!  So, what’s the fucking difference?”

“Bye, Brian.”

“Bye, Justin.”

Justin then left.

“Are you alright?”  Michael asked Brian.

“I’m just fabulous, Michael… really fabulous… never been better!” 

“Are you sure?  You look like you need a hug?”

“A hug on account of what?  I can’t keep letting Justin get me emotionally flared up?  I’m just fine… and besides he’s the one who divorced me and now he reunited with Ethan, so I say fuck him!” 

“And, it’s about time you said that, Brian.  He was the one who divorced you. Isn’t that an indication that he wanted out of the marriage; so why does he keep on coming around and harassing you and trying to wiggle himself back inside your bed every night?  It seems to me that Justin wants it both ways.  And, it’s about time you let him know that he can’t have it that way.”

Brian sighed heavily and then he returned to the kitchen to finish his breakfast. Michael rejoined him at the table, but only after he hung out in the living room a few seconds and gloated.

*

“Oh my god!  It didn’t go so well!”  Daphne realized that when Justin showed up at her doorstep, no prior warning whatsoever, and he looked like his entire world was collapsing all around him.  “What the fuck happened!”

“Michael and Brian are fucking on the regular now.”

“Are you absolutely sure about that?”

“Of course!  Michael implied at it but Brian came right out and admitted it.  Michael definitely slept inside Brian’s bed with him last night; and I would be pretty damn naïve if was to think it was the first time or that it will be the last time.”

“Justin… something just isn’t right!  For one, I can’t believe Brian moved on that quickly… and even if he did, I can’t see him rekindling what he had with Michael.”

“Well, I can imagine him moving on that quickly… why not… I told him I had someone new… what was I expecting him to do?  As far as I’m concerned, I just might have driven him back into Michael’s arms.  Daphne, I messed up big time!  I should have been satisfied just to have Brian as my husband and be grateful to share his bed every night.  Fuck I had it all, Daphne.  Brian was faithful to me; he didn’t cheat on me not even once.  But, how did I show my gratitude by taking drastic measures trying to force him to give me something that just maybe he wasn’t capable of giving and probably wasn’t that important to began with.”

“Stop beating up on yourself, Justin.  There was nothing wrong with wanting Brian to take interest in you and to trust you again.  There’s more to marriage than just great sex.  Maybe divorcing him to get his attention was a bad strategic move but it’s not the end of the world.”

“Maybe not the end of the world… but it damn sure was the end of my marriage.”

“So what?  Does messing up have to mean giving up?” Daphne frustratingly tried as usual to drum some sense into Justin’s skull.  “I mean what are you going to do… just step aside and let MICHAEL have Brian!  He doesn’t deserve him!  Michael is everything that Brian once falsely accused you of being.  He’s the one that’s only with Brian for his money.”

“And, oh by the way, what was Brian’s reaction when you told him you don’t have a boyfriend?”

“I didn’t tell Brian.”

“What you mean you didn’t tell him!  Isn’t that the reason you went over there!”

“I didn’t think it matter once I realized that Michael and he were back together again; and for some reason he thinks Ethan and I are back together again.”

“Well, he definitely mistaken about that… isn’t he?  So, if he can be mistaken about you being back with Ethan you can very well be mistaken about him being back with Michael!”

“Really, Daph!  There is one really big difference… Ethan and I aren’t sleeping together … but Brian and Michael are!”

“Huff,” Daphne sighed, “It’s just like my grandmother used to say.”

“What?”

“The really good relationships are wasted on the wrong people.”