Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

Chapter 194 added Tues. 7/30/13

Chapter 194:  See ya!  And, Just Be Happy


 


 


            “Hey,” Michael greeted Brian, as he arrived at Brian’s loft that night.  “Where’s Dan?”


 


“Gone.”


 


“Gone where?”


 


“Back to New York City is my best guess.”


 


“Wouldn’t you know for sure?  He’s your husband, Brian.”


 


“Don’t know and don’t freakin’ care.”


 


“Why not?  Like I said:  he’s your husband, so shouldn’t you be concerned?”


 


“No, he’s NOT.  Is NOT and never really was.  We got it annulled earlier today, Mikey.”


 


“What?”


 


“Michael, it was just one of those quickie drunk driven Vegas things… we were never really serious about it at all.”


 


Michael laughed, and his merriment roared like thunder just then.  “Let me get this straight, Brian.  Theoretically speaking, Dan and you were never married, and Justin…”


 


“Is married to Clay and overseas living happily ever after,” Brian said sardonically.  “And don’t you rub it in, Michael.  You only recently got back on my good side.  So, don’t push your luck.”


 


“Hardly would I ever want to do that, Brian.  So, what’s on your agenda tonight?”


 


“Well, I’m a free man again, Michael.  Definitely a reason to celebrate.  I’m thinking one of the clubs on Liberty… why don’t you join me there, and I can get in touch with Emmett, Ted, and Harold and invite them along as well.”


 


“No, I don’t think so, Brian.”


 


“What do you mean you don’t think so, Michael?  What did you come over here for?”


 


Michael laughed again.  “I thought I was coming over here to have dinner with you and your spouse… but you don’t have a spouse anymore.”


 


“So, you can’t alter those plans a little bit?”


 


“Can you alter yours?”


 


“Huh?”


 


“Why don’t you and I do something a little bit more laid back than going to one of the clubs on Liberty?”


 


“Like what?”


 


“How about dinner and a movie?”


 


“Dinner and a movie?  Who the fuck does that kind of thing anymore?   You really want me to take you to dinner and then to a movie?  Michael, are you up to your old tricks again?  We suppose to be hanging out, not going out on a date.”


 


“No, I’m not suggesting you take me out on a date, Brian.”


 


“Then what are you suggesting, because it definitely sounds like a date to me?  I really don’t want to go out on a date with you, Michael, and I though we were so passed that.”


 


“We are pass all that, Brian, but you have to go to that movie theater on Liberty tonight.  You know the one.”


 


“Why?  Why do we have to go there?”


 


“Because they’re tearing it down tomorrow, so tonight is the last showing of a movie there – ever.  That theatre is like a historical landmark, Brian.”


 


“Are they really tearing it down, Michael?”  Brian asked solemnly when already he was reminiscing about all the great times Justin and he shared inside that theater (not to mention it was where they first met).


 


“Yeah, Brian, unfortunately so, and already I can see how crushed that makes you.”


 


“It’s really isn’t that much of a big deal, Michael.” Brian said as he deeply swallowed, and feigned nonchalant, as he was consumed by his haughty pride. “It’s been ages since I’ve been to that theatre; and old run down places like that get torn down all the time.”


 


“Brian, when you and I were dating you never took me to the movies.  But we sure went there an awful lot when we were boys together though.  Remember, that was out spot when we were surrogate brothers, Brian?”


 


“Yeah it was, Mikey.  I remember.”


 


“Mikey?” Michael echoed, as he became absolutely misty.  “Brian, it’s so good to hear you call me Mikey again.”


 


“It’s certainly feel great calling you that again, Mikey.”


 


“Yeah, and that shows things can be like they once were but without all the weirdness this time.”


 


“You promise, Mikey.  If I agree to go to that theatre with you tonight that there will be on more weirdness between us?”


 


“I promise, Brian, no more weirdness.  I told you last night what Ben and I discussed over our cells.  He’s the only one I’m liable to become weird about these days.”


 


“Okay then, let’s go.”


 


“Sure.  But Brian, mind if I go inside your bathroom and take a leak first?”


 


“Go ahead, Michael.  I’ll wait until you’re finish.”


 


“Oh, and Brian?”


 


“Yeah?”


 


“It’s such a nice night out, so you don’t mind if we walk to that theater, do you?”


 


“That’s a heck of a long walk, Michael.  If I recall correctly, that theatre is WAYYYYY down Liberty Avenue.”


 


“Still… it such a beautiful night out, and I figure we can take a cab back afterwards?”


 


“Okay – fine.  If that’s what you really want – we’re take that very long, long, long walk.”


 


“Thanks, Brian.”


 


“You’re welcome.”


 


Michael then went into the bathroom, but he didn’t take a leak, he made a phone call instead, and then he hurried quickly back to Brian and they left the loft and took that stroll down Liberty.


 


 


 


“Recall Brian how crazy I got when my mother sent me down south to stay with my grandparents for the summer, and then I came back home just in time to start the new school year; but that’s when I discovered that they had closed down that old comic book store I loved so much?”


 


“Yeah, I remember that, Michael.  You were devastated.  I had to pacify you for months.”


 


“Yeah, think about that.  You yourself might be going through a similar thing now if you hadn’t agreed to take this trip with me tonight?’


 


“I kind of doubt I would have taken it as hard as you took the closing of the comic book store.  Michael, I never told you this before but you were pathetic that summer.  I felt so sorry for you.”


 


“Brian.”


 


“Yeah?”


 


“ Look.”


 


“Look at what, Michael?”


 


“There’s Justin.”


 


“Oh.”


 


“Brian.  I better go now.  I believe my work here is finally done.  I got to get to the airport and catch a plane.”


 


“Plane?  Where are you off to, Michael?  What about our movie and a dinner… and MOST OF ALL, what about the comic book?  Is that what you meant when you said your work is finally done?”


 


“Justin and you can handle that without my help.  I’ve done all the hard work.”


 


“Sure.  I guess he and I can manage somehow, but where are you flying off to?”


 


“San Francisco, and I’m not sure when I’ll make it back this way.”


 


“So, you’re really going there to take Ben up on his offer?”


 


“I still love him, Brian, and I’m sure you know how that is?”


 


“Yeah, I guess.  So, go get your man, Michael.  Best wishes to both of you.”


 


“Thanks, Brian.  I love you, and best wishes to Justin and you too.”


 


“And, I love you too, Mikey.”


 


And Brian and Michael kissed on the mouth together for what was the first time in over a decade, and then Michael went on his way, and moments later Justin walked up to Brian and abruptly stopped in front of him.


 


“Hi,” Justin greeted his ex-husband.  “Why are you out here and strolling this far down Liberty Avenue tonight?  You’re far away from the clubs?”


 


“Hi, back at you, and I can pretty much ask you the same question you just asked me,” Brian said, “So?  What are you doing strolling this far UP Liberty Avenue, Justin?”


 


“Just taking a walk, I guess; but was that Michael I saw walking away from you just a moment ago?”


 


“Yeah that was Michael all right?  He was in a hurry.  He has a plane to catch; and I’m not sure if he’d ever come back.”


 


“Really?  Where is he off to?  He suppose to stay here and attend all those meetings with you regarding the comic book.”


 


“He said you’d stay behind and do it.”


 


“He said that?”


 


“Yah, is there a problem with that?”


 


“Umm…well…”


 


“Particularly difficult question for you, Justin?”


 


“No.  It’s just I’m flying out of here myself first thing in the morning.”


 


“Ohhhh,” Brian seemed highly annoyed.  “And when was somebody going to tell me about it?  We have all those meeting set up, you know?”


 


“I was going to tell you some time tomorrow.”


 


“That’s just great, Justin.  So what’s the problem?  Have my deodorant and mouthwash failed me all this time!  First, Michael tells me (without prior notice) just a second ago he’s instantly flying out here, and now you do that same and tell me that you are taking flight first thing in the morning.  Just absolutely fabulous.” Brian chastised and he incessantly nodded.  “So what happens now?  Am I sitting at those meetings in a room all by myself?  I can purchase a stronger deodorant and mouthwash, Justin.”


 


“I guess the three of us can meet via teleconference?”  Justin suggested.


 


“I guess it going to have to be that way then.”


 


“Sorry.”


 


“Sorry’s…” Brian paused.  “Umm… that’s okay, Justin.”


 


“Huh?  Why didn’t you say it, Brian?”


 


“Say what?”


 


“You know what you usually say whenever someone attempt to apologize to you?  You know… sorry’s bullshit?”


 


“I didn’t think that is something you needed to hear me say right now?”


 


“But that’s you, Brian.  So, it’s what I expect to hear you say.”


 


“Justin, I hurt you enough in the past, and I meant it that day in my office when I said I don’t want to do not ONE more thing to ever hurt you again.  I didn’t lie to you, but you think I did lie, don’t you?”


 


“Huh?  What prompted you to ask me that?  That’s such a strange question to ask.”


 


Brian shook his head.  “I don’t know how I did it, Justin.  I don’t know what I might have said or done over the last couple of days, but I know (from just looking at you now) that I did or said something that hurt you really badly.  You’re hurting really bad right now, and the worst part about that is that I know it was something I did to make you this way.  I’m so sorry, Justin.”


 


“Brian, what are you talking about?  I’m perfectly okay, and even if I wasn’t, I assure you it has nothing to do with anything you might’ve done or said (especially nothing that occurred recently).”


 


“Who’s lying to whom right now, Justin?  You’re not okay.  You’re hurting really bad right now; I can sense that with my entire existence.  And you’re hurting because I lied to you.”


 


“You lied to me about what?”


 


“I lied when I told you that I would never hurt you again.”


 


“But you haven’t hurt me NOT once since you vowed not to.”


 


“But I did.  You don’t have to cover it up anymore.  I know that I did because I heard you, Justin.”


 


“Heard me?”


 


“I heard you when you told Melanie this morning that I had lied to you.”


 


“Oh My fucking gawd, Brian!  You heard me say that?”


 


Brian nodded.


 


“Brian.  I wasn’t referring to you.”


 


“What?”


 


“Noooo.  Clay was the one.”


 


“Clay?”


 


“Yeah.  He was the one who lied to me, and is the reason I’m hurting so badly right now.”


 


“Ohhhh.” 


 


Brian nodded his head incessantly then but stayed silent because as much as he wanted to ask Justin what Clay had said or done to him, he felt it was none of his business so he didn’t ask.  “So, I think I understand now why you must rush back home.  You have to hurry there and patch things up with your husband? Good luck with that, Justin.  I hope Clay and you can work through whatever problems you’re having.  I sincerely mean that.”


 


Justin shook his head.  “There’s no patching up things with him.”


 


“Oh?  I’m surprise you would say something like that, Justin.  It usually isn’t like you NOT to want to patch things up with your spouse; and who would know that better than me?”


 


“Speaking of spouses, Brian, why were you strolling out here with Michael by your side, instead of your husband Dan?”


 


“Let’s just say Old Danny-boy wasn’t available to take the stroll with me.”


 


“Oh?  Why not?  Why wasn’t he available?”


 


“Well, I assume because he’s back inside the Big Apple by now, but I don’t absolutely know for sure?”


 


“You don’t know for sure?”


 


“Uh-uh,” Brian shook his head.


 


“But wouldn’t you want to know?”


 


“Not particularly, Justin.”


 


“Huh?  You don’t care to know where he is?  How come?  Seems like a helluva switch from how you felt about him this morning.   You were so in love with him then that you just couldn’t wait to rush home and fuck him.  Excuse the expression.”


 


“Rush home and fuck him?  Um… if you say so.”


 


“No.  It was you who had said so,” Justin said somewhat bashfully, and shrugged his shoulders. 


 


“I said so?”  Brian was confused.


 


“Yeah, don’t you remember, Brian?  This morning when I walked you to Lindsay and Melanie’s front door, and I asked you to stay a little while longer, you answered…”


 


“Ahhhhh, I see now,” Brian cut Justin off.  “I said I couldn’t stay because my husband was coming back home and I was in a rush and couldn’t wait to see him.  I definitely did say that, Justin.  But you took it totally out of context.”


 


“Huh?”


 


“Hardly did I mean that I couldn’t wait to get back home and fuck him, but…”


 


“What did you mean then?”  Justin asked, as he lifted his left hand then and wiped away some beads of perspiration that had accumulated on his forehead, Brian saw his ring finger was covered and for some reason he aghast a bit.


 


“What is it, Brian?  Why did you jerk and looked so startled just then?”


 


“Hmm… I just couldn’t help notice that someone located an old piece of jewelry of his.”


 


“Huh?  Oh, you mean my wedding band?  I told you I only took it off so Emmett could do my manicure.”


 


“Yeah, I recall you said that, but…”


 


“But what?”


 


Brian started to comment on something about Justin but changed his mind, and instead he said, “Well, nice running into you, Justin, but I think we best go our separate ways.  You back to your home in Paris to patch things up with your hubby, and I myself go elsewhere or wherever.”


 


“I guess you’re right, Brian,” Justin agreed, but both men were slow to move then and for a moment they just stood gazing at each other, until Brian was the one to give Justin a bit of a nudge.


 


“Don’t someone have to rush along and go back to the girls’ place and pack, so he can hop a plane back to Europe in the morning, and work on saving his marriage?”  Brian more than subtly hinted, and Justin nodded but still didn’t walk away from his ex-husband just that instant. 


 


“See ya,” Brian tried once again to nudge him on.


 


“Yeah, right.  I better go back there and pack.”


 


“Yeah, you do that,” Brian said sadly.


 


“Take care of yourself, Brian.  It was nice running into just now.”


 


“Same here, Justin.  Nice running into you too, and I’m heading downtown, and you’re obviously going uptown.  So, no doubtingly we are moving in opposite directions once again, so see ya.”


 


“Seems like we are always do just that lately, aren’t we, Brian?”


 


“Huh?”


 


“Moving in opposite directions, I mean,” Justin said, and then seemed a bit agitated immediately after, but still he chuckled.


 


“What’s so agonizingly funny?”  Brian asked.


 


“I just thought about something Robert Mansfield once said to me and a thought bubble with a loaded question popped up inside my head just then.”


 


“Oh?  What question is that?”


 


“Will you and I ever make it onto the exact same page at the very same time, Brian?”


 


“Oh, good old Robert said that to you too?”


 


“Oh, he said it to you as well, huh?”


 


“Yah,” Brian nodded.


 


“Well, like you said, we are going in opposite directions right now.  So, I’m going up there and you’re going down there.  So this is finally goodbye, Brian, isn’t it?  Once again, Brian, take care of yourself and try to be happy.”


 


“Okay, Justin Taylor.  I will; and you try doing the same.  Just be happy, Justin.”


 


“Bye, Brian,” Justin said once more.


 


“Later.  See you later or sooner,” Brian hinted.


 


Justin then walked pass Brian and continued strolling north, while Brian stood still facing south, but for a spell he didn’t move from that spot because he realized he was standing in front of that landmark theatre – the one Michael and he had reminisced on.


 


Brian then looked up at the marquee and he was stunned by what movie was displayed there. 


 


“No fucking way!  What are the freakin’ odds!”  He chuckled to himself, and then mumbled softly, “Justin, they’re playing our movie.”  He then he walked up to the box office to purchase a ticket.


 


“You’re kind of early,” the woman behind the booth warned.   “The first showing isn’t starting for quite a while yet.”


 


“Oh.”


 


“But if you like you can purchase your ticket now and sit inside the theatre and wait, if you don’t mind waiting that long?”


 


“Fine by me,” Brian said, as he reached inside his wallet and pulled out a generous bill to pay the movie fare.  “Keep the change,” he stunned the woman.


 


“Thanks a lot, mister.  No one ever tipped me before, and so generously too,” she said with a smile, and then she gave Brian his ticket, and then asked him, “Was it you?”


 


“Huh?  What????”


 


“Was you the man who called earlier and requested that we show this particular movie tonight?”


 


“Someone called and asked for it?”


 


“Yeah, and I thought it might have been you because you’re so earlier, and you gave me such an large tip.”


 


“It wasn’t me though.”


 


“Oh, but enjoy the movie anyway.”


 


“Thanks,” Brian said and then he took his ticket and went inside the theatre.