Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

Chapter 193 added Tuesday 7/30/13

Chapter 193:  He Won’t Give A…


 


 


            “Hmm, I see the wayward spouse has returned,” Brian sardonically stated when he got the metal door slid to the side and he saw Dan was already there, and had a suitcase on the bed and was already packing.  “And, I see, he didn’t come alone.”


 


“Hi, Brian,” Robert greeted him.  “Like I told you on the phone last night – I had no idea.”


 


“Really?”


 


“He’s telling you the truth, Brian.  Robert’s totally innocent.  It was all my doing.”


 


“So what are you doing now?”  Brian asked.


 


“I’m packing the rest of my stuff.  I’m sure that’s what you would want me to do, Brian, isn’t it?”


 


“Oh yesssss!  But not before your ASS give me my annulment first!  You’re not getting out of my sight until we meet with my lawyers, Dan.  I’m not staying married to you for not even a second longer than I have to!”


 


“Sure, whenever you scheduled the meeting, get in touch with me.”


 


“Get in touch with you!  I’m in touched with you NOW!  And there’s nothing like the present!  It’s the reason I rushed over here.  I’m going to arrange that RIGHT NOW; and by the way, Shemar…”


 


“Yeah, Brian?”


 


“Hi.  Damn good to see you, Robert; and no hard feelings about taking him off my hands.  Your subway lover’s all yours.  I’m so happy you finally caught up with your man.  What did I tell you about a small world?”


 


Robert laughed.  “Hi again, back at you, Brian, and I’m damn glad to see you too, and I too am equally glad I finally found my man.”


 


“See!  What did I tell you, Robert?  I told you that Brian wouldn’t give a shit!”


 


Brian then got his cell out and called his lawyers.


 


 


 


 


 


            “What!  I don’t get shit, Brian!”


 


“You get Robert Mansfield,” Brian snickered.  “Your very own personal bargain basement Shemar Moore, and that’s even more than you agreed to taken that was written up in our prenup.”


 


“Brian, I heard you gave Justin Taylor billions in both divorce settlements, and your second marriage to him lasted just about as long as ours did!  You want to explain why he got so much but I got zilch?”


 


“Hey!  We had an agreement.” Brian had to really laugh at the irony of saying that to another husband.


 


“Fuck!  I supposed you had one with Justin too.  So answer me!  Why did you give him the world and nothing to me?”


 


“Oh, you didn’t like my first answer.  Try this one on for size then:  Maybe Justin Taylor had a better lawyer (and other talents going for him) that you just didn’t have.  So, see ya!”  Brian teased and then he marched on out of the lawyer’s conference room and left Dan sitting alone at the table in there.


 


 


*****


 


            “I dare you just barge into Lindsay and my bedroom like that, Justin!”


 


“Hey!  I asked you to come out of here, Melanie, but you wouldn’t.  Why are you cowering?”


 


“Cowering!”  Melanie roared back.


 


“Justin.  Mel.  Stop it.  The children.”


 


“Yeah, you’re right, Lindsay,” Justin jumped at her then; hardly was her statement causing him to mellow any.  “The children.  Take Gus and J.C. out somewhere now.  Take them to the park, a movie, the library, anywhere, but leave Melanie to me.”


 


“Leave me to you!  What the fuck is that supposed to mean?”


 


“Will you two stop that before the boys hear you?”


 


“We don’t have to risk that, Lindsay, if you will just get them out of the house like I told you to.”


 


“For what, Justin?  So, Melanie and you can rip each other to shreds while I’m out there somewhere with them?”


 


“Nobody’s going to get physically violent, Lindsay.  Instead, I going to finally tell your wife something, that you should have had the balls to tell her a long time ago.”


 


That hit Lindsay at the core, and she looked shamefaced at Melanie and said, “I’m taking the boys out to the museum, Mel.  It’s about the only thing open this hour of the morning.”


 


“What?  Oh really, Lindz?  You’ll letting Justin run you out of our home… and all on the account of Brian… his worthless ex-husband.”


 


“See you later, Melanie… and Justin…”


 


“What?”


 


“Don’t be too hard on her.”


 


“Don’t be too hard on me!  You are really going to let him run you out of our home and on the account of Brian?”


 


“You asked me that already… and yes… I’m doing it all on the account of Brian… the man who purchase this home for us, and a lot of other things that we own… remember?  Do you ever think about that, Melanie, before you usually go slamming into Brian with both fists balled up?”


 


Lindsay then grabbed her bag, and then said with much convention she said, “She’s all yours, Justin.”  She then rushed out of the bedroom, collected the boys and then she headed out (leaving Melanie to Justin).


 


“Go ahead, Justin.  Say whatever senseless thing you want to say to me.  But I can’t imagine what that might be.”


 


“Imagine this, Melanie… Michael told me what you said to Brian back in Paris, and based on that I figured you were the one who had hid Lindsay and Gus’s phones all that time, so you were the one who block everyone from reaching Brian.”


 


“So what?  Why would that upset you so much?  Brian didn’t deserve anyone reaching out and touching him back then, and he doesn’t deserve it now either, Justin.  I did it so Brian wouldn’t interfere with Clay and your wedding plans.  And, what ended up happening anyway?  You didn’t know it back then, but Brian crashed your wedding that day… didn’t he?”


 


“He didn’t crash anything.  Brian was very careful to stay out of sight.”


 


“Oh, really?  Then why did I spot him there that night?”


 


“I dunno, Mel.  Maybe it’s because you’re always looking to start a fight with Brian.  So could it just have been your own patronizing radar that you led you to him that night?”


 


“Who is patronizing whom right now, Justin?”


 


“Melanie, I never liked the way you treated, Brian.  Nor do I like the way Lindsay stands around and allow you to mistreat her son’s father, and today is the day that I order you to stop it, and I want to do that with just one word, Melanie.”


 


“Really?  Just one word – what word could that be:  BRIAN, maybe.  I can’t believe (after all that he’s done to you and every damn body else) that you’re still in love with him, Justin.”


 


Justin frustratingly shook his head at her.


 


“Well, what’s your one word, Justin?  Is your one word BITCH, maybe?  Are you resorting to calling me names like Brian always does!”


 


“FORGIVENESS.”


 


“What?”


 


“Forgiveness, Melanie.”


 


“I heard you say it the first time, Justin, and well?  So what’s your point?”


 


“That’s it, Melanie.   Nothing more… nothing less… FORGIVENESS.”


 


“Still… what’s your point?”


 


“I think you know,” Justin said and then he headed out of there.


 


“Oh no you don’t.  You come back here, Justin.”


 


“Forgiveness, Mel.  That’s all I have to say.”


 


Justin then hurried out of the house, got inside his car, and drove over to Debbie’s place to see Michael.


 


*******


 


            “Brian.”


 


“Yeah, Cynthia?”


 


“There’s a Mrs. Melanie Peterson-Marcus to see you.”


 


‘WHAT THE FUCK!’  Brian thought silently to himself.  He couldn’t be any more shocked than that.  “Send her in, on her witch’s broom, Cynthia.”


 


Melanie then flew right in.


 


“Close the door,” Brian ordered, and Melanie did, and then she walked over to Brian and stood in front of his desk.


 


“Sooooo, what pathetically dreadful sin or sins have I callously committed in my life or previous lives to deserve this visit?  I’m sure you will be just thrilled to tell me which one… or ones.  Go for it, Melanie.  Do what you do best and piss all over me, and tell me who’s suing me now.”


 


“This is one time I didn’t come to piss all over you, Brian.”


 


“Crap on me then?”


 


Melanie shook her head.


 


“OH FUCK!  He sent you.”


 


“Whom?”


 


“My pseudo-husband.”


 


“Yeah, not directly, but kind of.”  Melanie only assumed Brian was referring to Justin.


 


“You’re serious?  How the fuck did he find you… or did you fly up to him while he was standing alone on the sidewalk licking his wounds.  Ambulance chancing, at its very best, huh, Melanie?  How the fuck did you find out this soon anyway, witch?  Do you have informants planted inside my lawyers’ office?”


 


“What?  What are you talking about?”


 


“You said Dan sent you.”


 


“I didn’t say that.  It was Justin.”


 


“Justin,” Brian came down a thousand.  “Why would Justin send you here to me?  Why would he want to sue me now (after all these years)?  I mean if his husband and he are fucking broke, I’ll give Justin any amount of money he wants… and all he has to do is come to me and ask.  No lawyers are necessary.  He definitely didn’t need to send you flying in on your fire-blazing broom.”


 


“Justin, didn’t literally send me here, Brian.  I only meant that figuratively; so relax, damn it.”


 


“Oh?  Did you take it upon yourself to sue on his behave?  Is that kind of shit even legal, witch?”


 


“Fuck!  Brian!  How paranoid are you about your money!  This visit has nothing to do with your damn green.”


 


“What then?”


 


“I owe you an apology,” Melanie said.


 


“Is that a statement or some kind of trick question or something?”  Brian was so stunned by her convention.


 


“Do you mind if I sit, Brian?”


 


“Go ahead and shit, Melanie… I mean sit!”


 


“Like, I said,” Melanie started to echo as she sat.  “I owe…”


 


“I heard you the first time, Melanie… you owe me an apology.  But sorry’s bullshit, you know.  So, maybe we owe each other something more than what a useless apology is usually worth.”


 


“Really, Brian?  You gave Lindsay and me the only child, we might ever have, since I’m barren and can’t have any babies of my own.  You purchased that magnificent palace we live in, and our luxurious automobiles.  You pay for Gus’s topnotch education, and you paid for every vacation Lindsay and I ever went on; as well as you pay all our medical and legal expenses too.  Lindsay and I (even with our salaries combined) can’t afford nearly one-percent of the things you’re constantly giving us.  So what could we possibly owe you?”


 


“You ladies care for OUR son.”


 


“OUR son, Brian?”


 


“Yeah.  Our son, Melanie.  That’s why I owe you.”


 


“How do you figure?”


 


“I haven’t been so charitable, Melanie.  I never gave Lindsay and you anything for free.  You girls earned and deserved all that I have ever given you because you took such good care of OUR son, as well as took care of Justin’s other son J.C. too.  You women need to stop faulting yourselves for what happened to J.C. back in Paris.  The baby got up out of bed and wandered off without anyone’s knowledge.  That kind of thing could have happened to the most prudent and meticulous parent.   Did you think for one minute that I had taken any of what Lindsay and you do for Gus and J.C. for granted?”


 


“What I’ve taken for granted, Brian, is that you would have signed Gus over to me by now, and when you became a quadriplegic I was surer than ever that you would do it then.”


 


“Yeah.  I know you felt that way, and that is partially my fault, because I should have sat down with you and discussed it with you (a long time ago).”


 


“Well, we are sitting down now and discussing it.”


 


“Yeah, we are at that.  So, Melanie can I ask you something?”


 


“Sure… anything… I guess?”


 


“If Gus had been your biological son, and Justin and I wanted him, how easily could you have signed your parental rights away; and do you think there ever come a time that Lindsay would ever be willing to sign hers away to me and my mate?”


 


Melanie didn’t even have to ponder on that for an even second before she got Brian’s full meaning. “Thank you, Brian, for everything.”


 


Melanie got up to leave then.


 


“Bye, Brian.”


 


“No… later is more like it, Melanie.  No hard feelings… right?”


 


“Right,” Melanie affirmed with a smile.  “Later, Brian.”


 


“Later, Mel… and…”


 


“And what?”


 


“You’re welcome, and thank you for EVERYTHING too!  And, you will always be Gus’s other mommy, and you don’t need any signed papers to tell you that.”


 


Melanie got to the door and started to open it and leave, but paused for a moment and then turned around and faced Brian again.


 


“Yeah?”


 


“Brian, what were you saying about your husband Dan?  Why did you think he was the one who had sent me?”


 


“Never mind that, Melanie.  It wasn’t important.”


 


“Oh, but…”


 


“But what?”


 


“There’s something I think you should know.”


 


“What’s that?”


 


“Justin and his hus…  never mind.”


 


“Never mind about what?  What about Justin?”


 


“It was nothing important,” Melanie said, simply figuring it was not her place to be the one to tell Brian about the annulment; and maybe she had interfered enough in the two men’s lives when she hid the phones that time.  She thought she’d finally just give it a rest.


 


“Later,” Brian said once more, and then Melanie left.


 


 


******


 


 


            “So what’s up, Justin, why do you need a bended ear?  Is this about Clay and your annulment?  I don’t think you should work so diligently trying to keep it a secret from Brian, like you’re doing.  I see you did get rid of that ace-bandage like you promised, but putting your wedding ring back on your finger, Justin!  Isn’t that a little much?”


 


“What are you insinuating, Michael?  Are you trying to tell me that Brian has a right to know or something?  Why would you feel that way?  Brian has another husband.  We both are aware of that.  And, Brian really loves his husband.  I know that for sure now.”


 


“Oh, how do you know that?”


 


“Because Brian was over at the house to see Gus last night, and he stayed for breakfast.”


 


“And so…”


 


“And so, I asked Brian if he would stick around a little while longer and spend more time with his son, but to be really truthful, Michael, I wanted him to spend extra time with me.”


 


“I figured that much already, Justin.”


 


“But he said he couldn’t because his husband was coming home and he couldn’t wait to go home to be with him.  FUCK!  I remember a time during both our marriages when Brian couldn’t wait to come home to me every night after work.”


 


“Really?  It was as great as that at one time, Justin?”


 


“You just don’t know how GREAT it was, Michael.  Being married to Brian was… I don’t even have a vocabulary word to describe those emotions, and how wonderful it was, and how happy I was back then.”  Justin then got a faraway look in his eyes as well as looked starry eyed. “Michael,” he then said, “Do you want to know the real reason I was so anxious to collaborate on the comic book with you, even after you had pissed me off so badly by bringing Brian to my rental in Berlin, and I still agreed to resume working on the comic strip with you?”


 


“Sure.  Why were you so anxious?”


 


“Because Brian saved my life before… more times than one, actually.  So, in a big way I do regard him as a superhero… MY SUPERHERO.”


 


“Oh?  Did he really save your life a couple of times, Justin?  Do you mean that literally?”


 


“Yes, I mean that literally, Michael.  Both times we were on our honeymoon.”


 


“Huh?”  Michael chuckled.  “Danger Honeymoon, Justin?  Maybe that would be the theme for our next issue of Rage,” Michael joked.


 


“Sure, Michael.  I know you’re only said that to be humorous; but I just might seriously consider making that our next storyline, and we’d want to put the location in Jamaica.”


 


“Jamaica?”


 


“That’s where Brian and I honeymooned; and Michael if you ever get married – never, never, never, honeymoon in Jamaica.”


 


“Okay, but tell me how did Brian save your life in Jamaica – and two times?”


 


“Well, one day Brian and I went mountain climbing…”


 


“Brian and you went mountain climbing!”


 


“Well, I exaggerate a bit.  In all actuality it was one of those mountains that you could literally walk up, but still it was a very long journey to the top.  And, when we was just about at the top, I almost fell to death, but Brian grabbed me right on time and prevented it (saving my life the first time).”


 


“And the second time?”


 


“Believe it or not Brian and I were almost fatal victims of a hate crime.”


 


“What?  But how?”


 


“Well, a waiter at a restaurant where Brian and I had dined one night convinced us that the police was coming to arrest us because it’s illegal to be gay men in Jamaica.  So, we followed the man (hoping he would take us to a safe place) and hide us until the morning.  However, he was leading us into a trap instead.  But I wasn’t suspicious though, but Brian was very cautious.  And, the moment he knew for sure that we were in danger, he grabbed my hand and in a nick of time, and he started running with me, and the thugs chased us, but Brian hid us, and kept me safe until they gave up looking for us and then they went away.  And, when the coast was clear, Brian got us back to safety, and a fellow gay man (who just happened to be in law enforcement) told us if we hadn’t run like we did those thugs would have surely killed us.  And, that’s how I knew Brian had saved my life a second time.”


 


“Wow!  Justin!  That’s a really amazing story, and all that happened on your honeymoon?”


 


“Yes.  It really happened, Michael.”


 


“I know it did.”


 


“Huh?  What do you mean?  Brian told you about it too before?”  Justin thought that was terribly surprising, but then again wasn’t that exactly what he was doing just then.


 


“No.  Brian never told me about anything that happened on your honeymoon, that I can recall, but he once told me that I wouldn’t believe all the things that you and he shared and went through together, so I guess he probably was reminiscing on those very incidents when he said that to me.”


 


“Yeah, but how things changed.  I think back on how much in love Brian had once been with me, and I especially think about all those evenings he couldn’t wait to rush home and love me.  Just knowing Brian felt like that about me was the greatest feeling in the world and it used to put me ON TOP of the world, but now he feels that way about someone else – his current husband.”


 


“I can’t imagine Brian loving anyone as much as he loved you, Justin.”


 


“I might not imagine it either, Michael, had I not heard it directly from the horse’s mouth.”


 


“Really?  He told you that he’s in love with his current husband?”  That was so hard for Michael’s ears to even comprehend.


 


“Michael?”


 


“Yeah, Justin?”


 


“Do you think you can attend all those other meetings we have scheduled with Brian, but without me there?”


 


“Sure, I guess I can handle it, but why would you want to be excluded from the meetings, Justin?  Suppose Brian suggests that we should change some of the illustrations?”


 


“I’m sure I can conducted business via email, and I can make any changes electronically and send everything back as email attachments to Brian and you.”


 


“Yeah, I’m sure it can be handle that way, but still you didn’t answer my question.”


 


“I’m just ready to pack up and return back to Paris now,” Justin finally answered Michael’s question (but vaguely).


 


“Do you decision to go back there this so suddenly have anything to do with Brian… Brian and his new husband… I mean?  I know that have to be very painful for you, Justin, especially considering things turned out so badly for Clay and you.  Nothing about any of this is easy on you.  I but it was me who ruined your marriages to Brian… both marriages.  I SO owe Brian and you… but I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to make it up to you.”


 


“Stop, Michael.  I already told you that you apologized enough for all that, as well as I’ve forgiven you, but I worry about you sometimes, Michael.”


 


“Huh?  Why do you worry about me, Justin?”


 


“Because I often wonder what it would take for you to finally forgive yourself.  Do you even know the answer to that yourself?”


 


Michael shook his head, and then solemnly replied, “I wish I did know what it would take to forgive myself, Justin, but I really have no idea.  All the time I feel so guilty about what I did to Brian and you.”


 


“Please don’t carry that kind of burden with you for the rest of your life, Michael.”


 


“I can’t help it, Justin.  At one time, Brian used to be my older, wiser, and protective big brother; and Brian and you were the best things that ever happened to either of you; and I managed to destroy everything for everyone.  I really messed up BIG TIME, so how do I shake guilt like that?”


 


“I’m sure you’ll find a way eventually, Michael.”  Justin wished him well.


 


“You have got to be the most forgiving person on the entire planet, Justin, so you deserve so much better than what you’re getting lately.”


 


“Don’t you worry about me any, Michael.  I can at least say:  I once had it all.  I really did have it all both times I was married to the amazing Mr. Brian Kinney.”


 


“Maybe you can have that again, Justin.”


 


“With whom, Michael?  Definitely not with Brian or Clay; they both have someone else in their lives right now whom they are deeply in love with.  Huff,” Justin sighed heavily then, and next Michael cell rang, and Justin felt like that was his cue to leave.  “You know, Michael, I have to go now,” he announced.


 


“Justin, can you just sit tight and stay put for a moment.  I have a phone call coming through, and I want to take this, but there are still some things I want to say to you.”


 


“Okay, Michael.  Take your call, and I’ll wait.”


 


“Thanks.” 


 


Michael then took the call but kept it short and sweet.


 


“I gather that was your moms?”  Justin asked after Michael concluded his call, and Michael simply nodded.  “I heard you tell her to have fun.  What is she up to?”


 


“She told me my new step dad and she are going out on a date tonight (immediately after work).”


 


“Really?”  Justin chuckled.


 


“Yeah.  They’re going out to some place on the highway for a movie and dinner.”


 


“A movie and dinner, huh?”  Justin echoed, and got that faraway glimmer inside his crystal blues again.  “How romantic – just another couple for me to envy.”


 


“Why did you just say that, and there’s that look again?”  Michael was terribly curious.  “So, I figure you’re reminiscing about Brian and you once more?’


 


“Yeah.  I guess – kind of.” And Justin laughed heartily for the first time.


 


“What’s so damn funny?” Michael asked, just glad to see Justin laughed so large.  “Why don’t you let me in on the joke.”


 


“Michael, going to the movies and then out to dinner (at one time) was really Brian and mine thing.  Back then when Brian used to pretend he was poor, he acted like those were the only places he could afford to take me.”


 


Michael roared forward laughing too then.  “That’s really hilarious, Justin.”


 


“I say especially say so, when all the time I knew Brian could very well afford to buy his own chain of movie theatres and restaurants too.  Well, it’s funny now, looking back on it, but it wasn’t so funny back then though.”


 


“But still you miss when Brian and you used to date, huh?”


 


“Yeah, but he was your boyfriend once too, Michael.  So you know what it was like dating him?”


 


“Not really, Justin.  When he dated me it wasn’t romantic like it was when he dated you; and he never showed me any PDA, like he did with you.  You ought to know that from all those times you followed Brian and me around and watched us together?  Do you recall the places and events Brian used to take me to?”


 


“Yeah, I remember some of those places, and so…”


 


“Recall: Brian and I never took in a movie and romantic dinner; and all the places we went to were all business related in someway?” Michael enlightened Justin.


 


“Wow! You’re right! However, I never made that connection back then.  All I noticed was that you were with Brian and I wasn’t, and I just wanted you out of the picture, and when you started your affair with David Cameron, I nearly jumped for joy then, because I knew then that you were very well on your way out, and I would be moving right on in.  In fact, it was inside a movie theatre where I first made my move on Brian.”


 


“Oh yeah – what theatre, and do you recall what movie was playing?”


 


“Yeah.  I recall all that.  The theatre was the only one still left on Liberty Avenue; and the movie was a black and white classic – A Streetcar Named Desire.


 


“Oh.”


 


“Would you believe that movie came on last night when Brian was at the girls’ house visiting with Gus?  However, Brian and I couldn’t sit and watch that movie together.”


 


“Why is that?  Is it because it taunted you both with too many precious memories, huh?”


 


“Yeah.  You guessed it.”


 


“I think I know which theatre you’re talking about, Justin.  Brian and I used to go to that theatre when we were teens.  But when they started showing only really old movies – those black and white classics – I stopped going.  However, Brian liked going there even more then, and he would simply just go by himself.   But are you sure that theatre is even still there?  I heard rumors (several years back) that it was targeted for demolition.  I thought they would have BEEN torn it down by now.”


 


“Oh,” Justin simply murmured.


 


“So that theatre is where you finally accosted Brian after you stalked him all that time?”


 


“Yeah, that’s where it ALL started, Michael.  So, I really do miss that theatre, and if it was possible somehow, I… never mind.”


 


“I think I know what you were about to say, Justin.  Were you about to say if it was possible that you could get that day back again, you would have done some things a lot differently?”  


 


“Yeah.  Classic though – isn’t it, Michael?”


 


“I’ll say, but what kind of things would you do differently?”


 


“What does it matter what I might do?  It’s not like I could get that moment back, Michael.”


 


“Wow!  And that just might’ve been it.”


 


“What?”


 


“Nothing, I just had a silly thought.”


 


“What silly thought?  Share it with me.  It might not be as silly as you think.”


 


“Well, here goes, but promise not to laugh.”


 


“I won’t laugh.”


 


“Well, I was thinking that maybe if I could somehow give Brian and you just that one magical moment inside your theatre back, and you did do things differently and things turned out alright for Brian and you, maybe then I would finally be able to forgive myself.”


 


“Shit!  Michael!  I certainly hope your salvation doesn’t depend on that.”


 


“I hope not too, Justin.  Because you’re right; because we really can’t turn the clock back, can we?”


 


“Unfortunately not, Michael.  And, that’s the main reason I know I must accept the fact that both Brian and I have moved on.  And we both eventually married other people.”


 


“Yeah, but Clay and you aren’t married anymore, and we still don’t know what Brian’s new marriage all about?  I never thought he’d ever marry anyone but you, Justin.”


 


“Well, just like I fell in love with someone else, I guess Brian did too, and he didn’t just fall for anyone.  He married one of his old boyfriends.”


 


“Old boyfriend or not, I can’t imagine Brian being in love with anyone but you.”


 


“Well,” Justin said.  “I can’t imagine Brian marrying anyone who he’s not in love with.  Brian was never a man to settle for anything – so if he married this man and rushes home to him (like he used to do with me), he must be in love with him.  Brian wants what he wants, Michael, and never settles for anything less.” 


 


“Yeah, and I remember him only wanting to be IN LOVE with YOU; and when it came to you – in the end he DID settle for something less.”


 


“Huh?  What do you mean?”


 


“He settled for you being in love with and married to someone else.  I for one didn’t think Brian would even settle for that.  I thought he would give it his all and fight for you – but he didn’t.  So, just maybe that’s not the only thing he settled for (these days).  In fact, I think every man Brian ever dated (myself included) he was settling for something less than what he really wanted… and then came you, Justin – ALL THAT HE EVER WANTED!”


 


Justin chose not to verbally respond to Michael’s last statement.  Instead, he thought heavily on it and just stared dumbfound at his friend, and then announced again that he had to leave.


 


“Where are you going?”


 


“Back to the girl’s place and pack.”


 


“Pack?”  Michael asked astonishingly.  “You’re really heading back there that this soon?”


 


“My mind is completely made up, Michael.  I’m getting on a plane tomorrow, flying back to Paris with my son J.C., and that is where I will permanently stay.”


 


“Oh, Justin.  Are you sure?  I wish you would reconsider and not go.”


 


“There’s nothing left here for me, Michael.”


 


“How can you say that when your family and friends are here… and Brian’s here?”


 


 “I think you understand what I’m really trying to say, Michael.  So, umm… later, because I really DO need to go now.”  Justin said and then he left.


 


Michael then called Brian.


 


“What’s up, Mikey?”


 


Mikey, Brian?   You called me Mikey,” Michael started to tear up.


 


“Yeah, what about that, Mikey?”


 


“Thank you, Brian… I mean Bri.”


 


“You are so welcome, Michael… and, Mikey…”


 


“Yeah?”


 


“Why don’t you come over to my loft tonight?”


 


“Tonight, Brian?  Sure.  Justin told me your husband came back home this morning, and you know how anxious I am to see Dan again, and touch base with him (after all these years).”


 


“Well… umm… about Dan…”


 


“What about him?”


 


“Umm… nothing for now.  You’ll see when you get here.   Just swing over to my place tonight, Mikey.”


 


“See Dan and you tonight, Brian.”


 


“Later, Mikey.”