Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

Chapter 185 added Mon., 7/29/13

Chapter 185:  A Week Later


 


            “So, our first issue is complete and finally ready for the presses, Justin.”


 


“Yeah, Michael.  Rage’s first copy is finally done and ready to take the planet by storm – gay communities at least.”


 


“So, umm… any bright ideas how we should market our new comic book?”  Michael asked.  “I have one really good suggestion?”


 


“What’s that?”


 


“For the very best results, it should be marketed by the very best in the industry.”


 


“Up-oh, why do I get the impression that I know exactly where you are leading to with that statement?”


 


“Yeah, Justin.  We will want the very best to promote our marketing campaign for us… and Brian’s subsidiary Kinney Publishing is no doubtingly the very best.  We really should consider getting in bed with… umm…”


 


“Getting into bed with my ex-hubby… not to mention he was once your ex-boyfriend, huh, Michael?  How wonderfully put.  Should we have a threesome… or foursome for that matter?  We wouldn’t want to exclude Brian’s new husband, would we… or let’s make it a five-some.  Wouldn’t want to exclude Clay either?”


 


“Oh sorry, but have you given it any thought though?”


 


“Considering doing business with Kinney Publishing?”


 


“NO… getting back into bed with umm… you know… your ex-hubby, actually?”


 


“Are you kidding me, Michael?  Are you up to your old bag of tricks or something?  You know Brian and I are both married to different people now, so we can’t ever crawl back into a bed together and fuck each other.”


 


“But Clay and you aren’t married anymore…”


 


“What did you just say?”


 


“Justin, you really think I hadn’t noticed?  Ever since that day in Berlin when Brian visited Gus over there and you two ran into each other, things hadn’t been right between Clay and you, regardless of how much you two put on airs for everyone.  Now over a month has passed since I’ve last seen Clay around here.  So am I right?  Are you and Clay officially over?”


 


“Yeah, we got the marriage annulled just about three weeks ago, Michael.  Clay then went back to his husband Uri.”


 


“Oh.”


 


“You didn’t look the least bit surprised when I said Clay went back to his dead husband.”


 


“I’ve read the papers, Justin.”


 


“You knew Uri was alive (all this time), Michael?”


 


“I don’t know what you mean by all this time, but I read about Uri in the papers almost a week and a half ago?”


 


“In the papers?  Well, I guess the words finally out.  Clay did say he wouldn’t be able to keep it out of the media forever.  Do you know how many of our friends and folks in the U.S. are aware?”   Mostly though, Justin wanted to know if whether or not Brian knew.


 


“I kind of doubt if anybody there know.  I’m sure my ma doesn’t know because if she did she would have called and talked to me about it by now.  So, I’m guessing although the media here in Europe made a big stink about it, the media in the States didn’t make much of a fuss about it though.”


 


“Oh,” Justin just murmured.


 


“Well?”  Michael asked.


 


“Well, what?”


 


“When are you going to start telling folks back home about the annulment, Justin?”


 


“Whenever.”


 


Whenever is no real answer.”


 


“What’s the rush, Michael?”


 


“What’s the hold up?”  Michael answered with a question.


 


“I’ll tell you like I told, Clay.  I’m in no rush to tell anyone, just so they can look at me strangely and bombard me with the I’m so sorry, Justin sympathetic pampering and empty well wishes.”


 


“Are you sure that’s the real reason, Justin?”  Michael asked for he wondered whom it might be that Justin really was hiding it from.  “And your two sons have the right to know that Clay’s not their other dad anymore.”


 


“Yeah,” Justin sighed, “You’re right, Michael, and in due time I’ll get around to telling them.”


 


“Okay, Justin.  It’s your call.  I’m not going to put any pressure on you to tell everyone… or someone.  But what are your thoughts about Brian remarrying?  I still haven’t gotten over the shock of you telling me that he married someone else.  I never thought he’d ever marry anyone but you, Justin.”


 


“Well, just like I fell in love with someone else, I guess Brian did too, and he didn’t just fall for anyone.  He married one of his old boyfriends, and that was just about a month ago (add or deduct a week), and Melanie and Lindsay tell me that they are still married.”


 


“Old boyfriend or not, I can’t imagine Brian being in love with anyone but you; and were you ever really in love with, Clay?”


 


“You know I was in love with him, Michael.”


 


“If you say so, Justin.”


 


“I say so,” Justin stated firmly, and then he contemplated, “And, to address the other part of your comment:  I can’t imagine Brian marrying anyone who he’s not in love with, so,   if he married this man, he must be in love with him.”


 


“Still quite shocking to me, but what do you say, Justin?”


 


“Say to what?”


 


“Do I make that call to Kinnetic Enterprises and ask Brian if Kinney Publishing will market our comic book for us, or not?”


 


****


 


 


            “Brian,” Cynthia announced over the intercom.


 


“Yeah, Cyn.  What is it?”


 


“Brian, Justin Taylor is here to see you.”


 


“Oh?  Umm… fabulous, Cynthia.  Send him in.”


 


“Hi,” Brian stood up at his desk the moment Justin walked into his office, and he noticed the artist’s left hand was covered in a bandage.  “I was expecting, Michael,” Brian said confused.


 


“Oh?”  Justin seemed just as puzzled.  “He didn’t tell you that the three of us were going to meet?”


 


“No.” Brian said, as he shook his head in consternation.


 


“Well, maybe he just assumed it would be a given that I would attend the meeting.  After all, this project is Michael and mine collaboration, so it’s only natural that I would be at attendance at all the meetings too?  Did you get the copy of the comic that we mailed to you?  What do you think?”


 


“Umm, I’m quite impressed, but don’t you think we ought to wait until Michael joins us before we start discussing any specifics about the marketing strategy?”


 


“Yeah, you’re right.   This is rather surprising though.”


 


“What is?”


 


“I didn’t think you would be handling it directly, Brian?  I thought you’d have some of your staff at Kinney Publishing meet with Michael and me.”


 


“You’re right.  Ordinarily that would be the case, but recall… umm…” Brian paused.


 


“Recall what, Brian?”


 


“Hufff,” Brian sighed heavily.  “I was about to ask you, Justin, to recall something that we once discussed back when we were married.  How presumptuous of me though.”


 


“No.  Not particularly so, Brian.  I don’t think I’ve forgotten anything we ever said or did with each other when we were married, so hardly are you being presumptuous by asking me that question.  So, what is it specifically that you want me to recall?  And since when are you ever one to apologize for being arrogant anyway?”


 


“Hmm… I’ll probably be apologizing to you, Justin, for the rest of my life, actually.”  Brian said and he stunned both himself and Justin with that statement and they shared a fleeting moment of complete silence just then as they both ingested what Brian had just said.  “Umm,” Brian collected himself and resumed conversing, “Do you recall how just months before my near fatal accident, I told you that I don’t create anything anymore?”


 


“Yeah.  I remember you said that to me several times, actually.  In fact, if I recall correctly, one of the first times you might’ve said it to me was that time we were in that movie theatre with Gus (celebrating his birthday) when one of your commercials came up on the screen during the intermission.  You said you regretted that you lost touch with your creative side and that you were anxious to return to that.  I’m glad you’re staying true to yourself, Brian, and that you’re finally doing that.”


 


“Thanks, Justin.  I’m so glad you’re doing the same with your talent.  Did I ever tell you how so proud I am of you… that you jumped right in there and pursued your art career like you did, and made such a really big success out of yourself?”


 


“Yeah, you told me that back when we were inside your apartment in New York City.”


 


“Yeah, I did… didn’t I?  But umm… so, how’s life treating you otherwise, Justin?  Last time you were inside my office you promised me that you’d take care of yourself and yours… and be happy.  So are you?”


 


“Well, I’m trying to take a cue from you, Brian, and never be one to break any promises I make to people.  So, if I told you that I’ll take care of myself and be happy, then that’s definitely what I’m trying to do.  So, I’m in fairly good shape, and you?”  Justin then peeped Brian’s left hand to see if the wedding band was still there, and it was, so he asked, “How’s life treating you?  Are things going okay with your new… umm… husband and you?”


 


“It’s not bad, Justin.”


 


“That’s really nice to hear, Brian.”


 


“Thanks, but what happened to your hand?  What kind of injury are you hiding there?”


 


“Umm, Brian,” Justin avoided answering him, “Wow!  That reminds me.  Can you excuse me for a short moment, while I leave and go to one of the drugstore on the concourse downstairs?  I’ll try to make it back here by the time Michael arrives.”


 


“Go ahead, Justin; make your purchase but take your time… but hurry back,” Brian playfully kidded with a smile.


 


“Sure, I’ll take my time, Brian,” Justin smiled softly back at his ex-husband, “But I’d hurry back.”


 


“Later then.”


 


“Later,” Justin said, and then rushed out of Brian’s office, jumped on the elevator and took it downstairs to the main lobby, got off there and went into the drugstore, and at first he didn’t know what to do with himself while he was inside the store and it the dawn on him that he was out of those sweet-tasting little pink children aspirins, and that maybe he should purchase some just in case J.C. might ever need to take one.  He purchased the aspirin and then he loitered inside the drugstore until he saw Michael entered the building.  He then exited the store and rushed up to Michael; and together they took the elevator back upstairs to Brian’s office.


 


 


“Brian,” Cynthia announced the two men.  “Now, both Michael Novotny and Justin are here to meet with you.”


 


“Thanks, Cynthia.  Send them both right on in.”


 


“Welcome back, Justin, and you too, Michael,” Brian greeted both men, “And no need to stop at Cynthia’s desk and be announced all the time.  Just scurry right over and knock… and it shall be opened to you,” Brian humored.  “So let’s finally get this show on the road, gentlemen.  Already, I feel it’s going to be quite refreshing doing business with both of you.  Nonetheless, above everything else, the three of us collaborating together should be quite interesting as well as OBSCENELY PROFITABLE.”


 


“I’d certainly say, Brian,” Michael seconded that.  “What do you think, Justin?  It seemed it’s got quite interesting already,” Michael sardonically stated, as he stared at the bandage covering Justin’s left fingers, and had to wonder about that because he was almost certain that Justin hadn’t incurred any injury to his left hand, but he had an idea what that was all about.


 


“Could it get anymore interesting than this?”  Justin apprehensively chuckled.


 


 


*****


 


            “So?”  Michael asked when Justin and he were done and were leaving Brian’s office and getting on the elevator.  “Justin, I know there’s no feasible medical reason for that bandage on your left hand.  You had no injury, unless it was one to your head… or your heart… maybe; but your fingers are just fine under that mummy’s wrapping.  So, why put up the pretence like that?  Did you do it for Brian’s benefit?” 


 


“What ever do you mean, Michael?”


 


“You tell me, Justin.”


 


“You’re right, Michael.  I was hiding the fact that my ring finger is now bare.  I didn’t want Brian or the women [Lindsay and Mel] to see that.”


 


“Why not?  Whether you are the one to tell them or not, they’ll find out sooner or later.  The truth is bound to get out one way of the other, Justin.  A secret like that can’t stay hidden forever, you know.”


 


“I already told you, Michael, that I’m not in a hurry to tell Brian or anyone else that I failed at another marriage, and you told me that you wouldn’t pressure me.” 


 


“Justin, you didn’t fail at your marriage with Clay.  None of what happened was your fault, so I wish you would stop seeing it that way.  But, if it’s any consolation to you –I didn’t detect any particular vibes from Brian that would make me think he already knows.  But, like I said, he and everyone else will find out eventually, so maybe you should have just sprung it on your ex-husband just then.  Why try deceiving him the way you just did?  Haven’t everyone been deceived enough?”


 


“Deception wasn’t my intent, Michael.  It’s just I don’t want to give Brian any reason to make me crazy again.”


 


“Hmmm, Justin, isn’t that ironic?”


 


“What is?”


 


“That deceit never seems to be anyone’s intent, but somehow we’re always managing to do exactly that… deceive someone.  So next time when Brian, you, and I meet – lose the ace-bandage, will you?”


 


“Sure, Michael.  I can do that – I guess.”  Justin then asked, as well as made Michael an offer, “How did you get here, Michael; did you take a cab?  I can give you a ride back to your step dad and ma’s place, if you need it?”


 


“That’s okay, Justin.  I didn’t plan to go directly home right away; instead I’m going across the street and get a haircut at that barbershop that we used to love so much.”


 


“Okay, fine.  Later then.”


 


Justin and Michael then went their separate ways.  Justin hurried to the garage to retrieve his automobile, while Michael headed back up to elevator to Kinnetic Enterprises’ Executive offices again.


 


“Brian,” Cynthia’s voice came over the intercom again.


 


“Yeah, Cynthia?”


 


“Michael Novotny’s returned.  He wondered if you could spare him a few additional minutes of your time?”


 


“Sure, Cynthia.  No problem, send him back inside,” Brian tried to sound all chirper about it, but recalling Michael and his history he wasn’t sure if he should be concerned or not.


 


“So, Michael.  What’s up?”


 


“Don’t look so alarmed, Brian.  You have to know by now, I’m so over you.”


 


“Good to hear that, Michael.  So, with that said what did you come back here for?”


 


“Ben.”


 


“What?”


 


“Ben Bruckner, Brian.  Can you give me his number, so I can get in touch with him?”


 


“Umm,” Brian was quite hesitant and he rolled his lips backwards inside his mouth and was silent for a moment.  “I don’t think I should do that, Michael.  But I’ll tell you what I can do for you though.”


 


“What’s that?”


 


“I can call Ben and offer him your number.  That way if he wants to talk to you, he can be the one to call you instead of the other way around?”


 


“Thanks Brian.  That sounds fair enough.”


 


“Okay then.  It’s settled.  I’ll give Ben a call and pass your number to him.   Anything else I can do for you, Michael?  In reason, I mean.”


 


“No thanks, but thanks a lot for that.  Later, Brian.  Have a nice day.”


 


“You too, Michael.  See ya… at our next meeting.”


 


“See you then, Brian,” Michael said with a smile, and then rushed out of there, and Brian made that call to Ben and gave him Michael’s number like he had promised.