Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

Chapter 175 added Sat. 7/20/13

175:  Blasts From The Past

 

 

 

 

 

            “Got it,” Brian said to the realtor, as he made a mental recording of the address she said to meet him at.  “See you on Tremont Ave in about forty minutes to an hour,” he told the broker.  He then exited the kitchen at Britin, went into the garage, got inside his car and on the road that would take him the short distance from West Virginia and over to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

 

 

 

*****

 

 

 

            “Grandma, Clay hasn’t called me back not even once since he told me that he was jumping a plane and going off somewhere.  I still don’t know where he went or when his damn ass will be back here.”

 

 

 

“I hate to ask this…”

 

 

 

“I know what you going to ask, Grandma, because everyone else asked it already.  They asked if it’s possible that Clay ran out on me.”

 

 

 

“Well, what make you so sure he didn’t?”

 

 

 

“I,” Justin started to say something, but was interrupted when he heard the front door open and shut and then his name shouted out.

 

 

 

“Justin!!!”

 

 

 

“Grandma, I have to call you back.  Speaking of the Devil, Clays back home now and calling out my name and heading this way as we speak; so later, Grandma, and I’ll call you back really soon, but bye for now.” 

 

 

 

Justin hung up and then snapped at his husband the moment he walked into the bedroom.  “Clay!  I dare you be gone for a full week without taking my calls or calling me even once!  Where the fuck have you been all this time!”

 

 

 

“Calm down, and stop with the dramatics, Justin.”

 

 

 

“Stop with the dramatics!  You’ve the one who’s been MIA for the last week, and you accuse me of being the dramatic one!  Well, do you want to answer me or not, Clay!  Where were you, and why haven’t you gotten in touch with me in all this time!”

 

 

 

“That’s a long as well as incredible story, Justin; and I don’t even know where to begin.”

 

 

 

“Just give me the short version, Clay, and tell me outright… or straight away as you Brits usually put it!  Where have you been, damn it!”

 

 

 

“I was with Uri!”  Clay announced, and gave it to him straight like he had asked.

 

 

 

“Uri?  Uri who?  Uri Sebastian – your decease husband?  What do you mean?  Have you been away visiting his grave or something, and for a whole damn week?  Give me a break, Clay; I’m sure you can come up with a better one than that!”

 

 

 

“No, Justin.  There is not grave to visit.”

 

 

 

“What do you mean there’s no grave to visit?  Was your first husband cremated?”

 

 

 

“No.  That’s not the reason that there is no grave to visit.”  Clay nervously stated (followed by a deep sigh).

 

 

 

“There’s no grave and he wasn’t cremated.  So Clay, what are you trying to tell me, exactly?”

 

 

 

 

 

*****

 

 

 

Brian was the first one to arrive at the location on Liberty Avenue where the realtor said to meet him.  He found a convenient park right in front of the building, and got his cell out and called the broker.  “Mr. Melendez, I’m here in front of the building but where are you?”  He asked.

 

 

 

“I’m sorry, Mr. Kinney, but I’m caught in traffic right now, but I’ll be there momentarily though.  Can you wait?”

 

 

 

“I’ll wait.  See you when you get here,” Brian said, and then he put his cell up and got out of his car, locked the doors, and then just leaned his back up against his vehicle, folded his legs at the ankles and his arms across his chest, and waited there for the broker to join him. 

 

 

 

Brian had only waited there for a few more minutes though before two men recognized him and approached him.

 

 

 

“Brian!  Brian Kinney!”  They exclaimed.

 

 

 

“Umm,” Brian looked at the two men and was as stunned to see them as they were to see him. “Dan!  Cary! What the fuck!  Both of you!”  Brian hurried up to both his old exes (i.e., his first boyfriend Cary Kensington, and Daniel Middleton his second) and gathered both of them in his arms and gave them one really big affectionate bear hug and kisses on the mouths. 

 

 

 

“I just can’t fucking believe it!  Running into both of you like this.”

 

 

 

“You can’t believe it!  Imagine how surprised we are,” Dan said.  “Last thing anyone heard about you was that you were quadriplegic, dead, or both!”

 

 

 

“As you can clearly see, reports of my demise have been gravely exaggerated,” Brian kidded.

 

 

 

“Glad to see it.  Glad to see it.”  Cary said, and both ex-boyfriends expressed their surprise and cheer even more as they simultaneously grabbed Brian once more and hugged and kissed all over him again.

 

 

 

“Sure we are,” Dan seconded that.  “So how has life been for you since that near fatal accident we all read about, Brian?  We really thought you were down for the count.”

 

 

 

“Life is just fabulous,” Brian answered.  “How are you two guys?   Cary, are you still living the golden life?”  He teased.

 

 

 

“You bet, Brian, and I can’t believe I’m actually running into both Dan and you on the same day.  I hadn’t heard about your return from the grave though!  I’m so damn happy you’re back with the living, but really sad to hear that things didn’t work out with your husband Justin and you.”

 

 

 

“Thanks, Cary, but life goes on.  But still, how come I ran into the both of my ex-boyfriends hanging out together like this?  Were you two out comparing your notes on my many fine virtues or something?”

 

 

 

“Not hardly, Brian, do Dan and I hang out on the regular together reminiscing about the worse boyfriend either of us ever had,” Cary answered, “Dan and I only just ran into each other moments ago, actually.  I’m in town on business, and I found this one moping around the area… get this, Brian… looking for a plastic surgeon and a new apartment.”

 

 

 

“A new apartment, I can damn well relate to that but a plastic surgeon, Dan!   Well, fuck (to really think about it) I can relate to that too,” Brian slightly laughed, as he thought back on the reconstructive surgery he had.  “But what the hell would you need a plastic surgeon for!  You’re just as fabulous-looking as ever… or were you looking for a surgeon because you wanted to look as good as me?”

 

 

 

“Fuck you, Brian.   I see you just as arrogant as you always were.  But, I hate to bruise that overly inflated ego of yours, when I tell you I have no desire whatsoever to ever to look like you… but I was looking for someone who would finally remove this dreadfully disgusting old mole from my face.  You know how I always hated this damn thing.”

 

 

 

“What?  I can’t believe you are still self conscious about that old thing, Dan?”

 

 

 

“I keep telling him that too, Brian,” Cary said, “He still doesn’t know that that mole and his alluringly dark eyes are his best features.”

 

 

 

“Fuck you both,” Dan scoffed them.  “I hate this ugly thing and who on the planet but myself has black eyeballs,” he said while touching the mole.

 

 

 

“Let the beauty mark be, Dan, and no one on the planet actually have black orbs; yours are just a very dark brown,” Brian looked at him somewhat seductively, as he tried to soothe him.  “I still can’t believe the three of us are here together like this though,” Brian easily diverted Dan’s attention away form his appearance.

 

 

 

“Neither can we,” Dan said, “And, to be absolutely honest, Cary and I were actually strolling along and kind of comparing notes about what it was like once being the ex-boyfriends of the infamous and notorious Brian Kinney.”

 

 

 

“I really thought so, and I’m sure you both had such nice things to say about me.”

 

 

 

“NOT!!!!”  The men chorused.

 

 

 

“Hey!  I don’t believe for one moment that I was the worst boyfriend either of you ever had.”

 

 

 

“Yes, you were!!!”  They chorused again.

 

 

 

“Well, Dan, I don’t see a ring on your finger,” Brian observed, and then he asked, “Ever took the plunge?”

 

 

 

“Not.”

 

 

 

“Why not?”

 

 

 

“Haven’t met Mr. Right yet, Brian.  However, with you back on the market, that might change.”

 

 

 

“Eat your heart out, Dan, for that just isn’t going to happen.  The concepts of ‘Mr.  & Mr. Right’ just might be gravely exaggerated, as I see it in my book these days,” Brian sulked (suddenly thinking of Justin).  “It’s total fantasy.  There’s no such thing as a happy marriage.”

 

 

 

“Speak for yourself,” Cary disputed.

 

 

 

“Oh, really?  So things are still running that strong with your hubby and clan?”  Brian sardonically asked.

 

 

 

“Strong as always, Brian.  I’m happy and so is my clan.”

 

 

 

“Yah, I bet,” Brian rolled his eyes and sounded rather skeptical.

 

 

 

“I’m with Brian, Cary,” Dan said, “Marriage and having children don’t do anything but put a person out of commission.  They don’t call it an institution for no particular reasons… and who ever lived happily ever after inside an institution?”

 

 

 

“Oh, how sensational and original of you, Dan, to say that!”  Cary sarcastically stated,  “And, how would you know, anyway!”  He continued to scoff him.  “You’ve never been married… and didn’t you just hit on Brian… and on the sly hinted he might be your Mr. Right?

 

 

 

“That wisecrack was just tacky humor, Cary.”

 

 

 

“Whatever,” Cary responded.

 

 

 

“Well, Brian and Cary, we don’t get together like this often, so we have to do something to celebrate this blessed reunion?”  Dan suggested.

 

 

 

“Ahhh, sorry guys,” Cary regrettably announced, “But whatever you two decide, you going to have to do it without me.”

 

 

 

“Huh-huh,” Dan teased, “I rest my case.  You can’t hang out because you have to rush back to Canada to the hubby and kids… or should I say rush back home to your institution,” he teased.  However, Dan became utterly quiet when his very dark orbs sparkled just then when a UPS truck pulled up to the curb and the driver got out, and rushed up to a stoop and rang a doorbell and waited for someone to come open the door.

 

 

 

“What’s up?”  Brian and Cary asked simultaneously as they watched Dan’s eyes fixated on the UPS man.  The deliveryman was a very handsome Afro-American man, and although Brian and Cary casually noted how handsome he was it seemed Dan couldn’t take his eyes off the man (he actually started drooling).

 

 

 

Dan was still staring when someone finally came to the door, signed for and accepted the package from the UPS man.  The Afro-American man then returned to his truck, got inside and drove away, and Dan’s eyes kept that truck in radar until it was no more sign left of it.

 

 

 

“Hey Dan!”  Brian and Cary teased as they tried to yank him out of his trance but failed miserably on the first couple of attempts.

 

 

 

Brian and Cary then looked at each other and laughed and joined forces and yelled, “DAN!  SNAP OUT OF IT!” 

 

 

 

Cary then said to him.  “The man’s gone already… do you think if you stare at the same spot on the road long enough, he’ll reappear?”

 

 

 

“Huh?”  Dan finally jerked out of his trance.  “What?”

 

 

 

“Do you know that man or something?”  Brian asked.  “And wipe away that spit that’s running down your chin.”  Brian reached inside his inner pocket and got a handkerchief and passed it on to Dan.

 

 

 

“What?  Huh?  Oh,” Dan finally returned to earth and took the handkerchief from Brian and cleaned the corners of his mouth and his chin.

 

 

 

“Wow! That deliveryman really had you bulging inside your trousers,” Brian cracked, “And I can almost say that literarily – had you gotten any more excited you’d be actually sporting a stiffy around about now.”

 

 

 

“What was that all about, Dan?”  Cary asked, “It seemed like that was something beyond lust, if you ask me?”

 

 

 

“No… no… that was nothing,” Dan tried to play down his earlier antics.

 

 

 

“I say it was something,” Cary roared, “I’m really curious… what the hell was that all about, Dan?  I don’t think I’ve ever seen you that infatuated with a person before… not even Brian.”

 

 

 

“Fuck you!”  Brian snapped at Cary.  “I’m ten times hotter than he was.”

 

 

 

“Well, Dan, answer Brian’s question.   Did you know that man or not?”  Cary continued to probe.

 

 

 

“No.  I’ve never seen him before.  It’s just…” Dan paused appearing befuddled.

 

 

 

“Just what?”  Brian asked.  “I mean if I didn’t know any better, I’ll say Cupid just hit someone smack in the ass with an arrow… like in LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT,” Brian teased and Cary and he roared forward laughing.

 

 

 

“Awwww, fuck you both.  It’s nothing like that.  Like I said I never saw that man before.”

 

 

 

“That’s why they call it love at FIRST sight, Dan.”  Cary teased and Brian and he laughed even harder that time.

 

 

 

“You know, Dan, it might not be too late to catch up to him,” Brian further mocked.  “I say you should hurry though while your boner is still standing at attention.  Sure he’s gay though?  He didn’t seem to alert my gaydar any?  How about you, Cary?  Would you say he was batting for our team or what?”

 

 

 

“Sorry, my gaydar didn’t detect anything either, Bri.  Dan, hope you didn’t just waste a perfectly good boner on a non-respondent!”  And, Brian’s eyes met Cary’s and they smirked at each other, thinking Brian couldn’t have said it any better had he been the one to say it.  

 

 

 

“Fuck you both!  And he DIDN’T make me HARD, damn it.  In fact, I’ve already forgotten what his face looked like… but if you two must know… it wasn’t him I was all gaga-eyed about anyway.  He just reminded me of someone, but never mind that; and you two can cool it now.  You had a hearty enough laugh at my expense already.  Time to put a lid on it now!”  Dan was anxious to change the subject.  “So what are we going to do to celebrate, Brian?  Seeing you whole like this again, is certainly a call for a celebration of some sort; and since Cary’s out of the picture, I figure you and I should do something together at least?”

 

 

 

“Sure Dan, we can hang out, but I can’t walk away with you right now.  I was waiting here to meet with a realtor.  She’s going to show me an apartment in this building right here.”

 

 

 

“Oh really?   Like we mentioned to you earlier, Brian, I’m looking for a place too.”

 

 

 

“Well, you can take a look at this apartment too, I guess. Oh, and by the way, I recently put three apartments on the market, and I sold two already, and have one still available; so if you like you can swing around to that place after we done here, and take a peep at it.  I’ll cut you a generous deal, if you like it.”

 

 

 

“Well, I’m not so sure about that, Brian.  I don’t have your kind of money and probably can’t afford your asking price.  With my salary the most I can handle is probably 3 thou a month, and even that’s a helluva stretch.”

 

 

 

“Brian… Dan… don’t mean to cut this blissful reunion short, but I really have to be hopping along,” Cary announced.

 

 

 

Brian and Dan then shared hugs and kisses with Cary and then he left.

 

 

 

“Hey, that’s my realtor pulling up now,” Brian informed Dan. 

 

 

 

The realtor parked and exited his car, and Brian introduced her to Dan, and the three of them went inside the building and he showed them the loft, which both men liked a hell of a lot, but it was much too steep for Dan’s purse, so Brian was the one who agreed to purchase the place.

 

 

 

It might’ve been just for the heck of it, because hardly could Dan afford the place Brian had for sale, but he asked him anyway if they could go there so he could see it.  So, they send the realtor on his way and Brian drove Dan to that place – the apartment he had once shared with Justin, Gus, and Granny Viola Taylor.

 

 

 

“Hey, this place is still furnished,” Dan stated the moment he walked inside with Brian, and they started the tour.  “Do the furniture come with the place?”

 

 

 

“No.  I’ll have all this furniture removed the moment the apartment’s sold.”  Brian said, as he looked around and he noticed nothing seemed changed from when he lived there with his loved ones (three years ago).

 

 

 

“Boy, this place is big?”  Dan’s shining dark orbs really marveled its magnificence.  “How many bedrooms is it?”

 

 

 

“Five.”

 

 

 

“Wow!  I saw a realtor show off a place like this once and with this many bedrooms too.  I saw it on one of those travel network channels, and the place was located in New York City, and it was going for a whooping 16.5 million dollars.  Is this place worth anywhere near that much?”

 

 

 

“Well, this isn’t exactly New York City, Dan, but the asking price is not too much less than that though.”

 

 

 

“Why are you selling this and buying that small loft instead?  Well, actually in its own right, it’s a rather big loft (as studio apartments goes), but it’s not even a drop in the bucket in comparison to this place.”

 

 

 

“I’ve outgrown this place, I guess,” Brian solemnly confessed.

 

 

 

“Oh?  You used to live here with your ex-husband, huh?”  Dan that easily and quickly deduced that for himself.

 

 

 

“Well, let’s get going, Dan,” was simply all that Brian had to say about that.

 

 

 

“Sure, and Brian, how about for old time’s sake, we grab a bite at that restaurant we used to like so much when we were a couple?  Remember the one?”

 

 

 

“Yeah, I remember it; and no problem – we can definitely go there now.”

 

 

 

Brian and Dan then exited the apartment together, left the building, and got inside Brian’s car, and Dan then said, “Yeah, that‘s a really nice restaurant, Brian, and when we get there you got to tell me the complete story about your recovery, and that’s really something to celebrate.  So, we definitely have to do something more than just eat inside a restaurant.  So, let’s figure out something really fantastic to do while we talk over our meal.”

 

 

 

“Sure, we should do something other than just go someplace and eat.  I’m in 100 percent agreement with you there, Dan.”

 

 

 

 

 

******

 

 

 

 

 

“So, how has life been treating you overall, Dan?”  Brian asked once they were comfortably seat at a table in the restaurant.  “What are you up to these days?  Are you still a fireman?”

 

 

 

“Gentlemen,” a Black waiter greeted them when he came over to their table and filled their glasses with water, “Can I get your drink orders now, and someone else will come around a little later for your food order?”

 

 

 

Brian told him right away what drink to get him, but he noticed Dan was as gooey-eyed over that man as he was for the UPS man. 

 

 

 

“Dan, do you know what you want?”  Brian verbally nudged him a bit.

 

 

 

“Umm… umm… get me what he’s getting,” Dan found the easy way out and instructed the waiter to give the same order as Brian.  The waiter then left.

 

 

 

“Are you alright?”  Brian checked with Dan.

 

 

 

“Huh?  What do you mean?”

 

 

 

“I don’t know, Dan.  Why don’t you tell me?  Are you developing a strong preference for Black men or something?  That’s the second time today you ogled a Black guy… someone’s got jungle fever… jungle typhoid actually; and for the record… my gaydar didn’t pick up the right vibes from him either.  FUCK!  Could it be you got a thing for Black straight men!  Shit!  Someone’s definitely in big trouble.”

 

 

 

“Never mind, Brian.  So, what were you asking me earlier?”

 

 

 

“I asked about how life is treating you in general.   Do you still put out fires for a living?”

 

 

 

“Noooo.  It’s been a long time since I’ve last put out a fire, Brian.  I’ve changed career paths a few times since then.  My current profession and hopefully the one I’ll be in until I retire is… and don’t YOU laugh.”

 

 

 

“Laugh?  Why would I laugh?  You aren’t about to tell me you joined the circus and you are a professional clown?”  Brian smirked.  “Or work nightclubs at night trying to launch your career as a comedian or something?”

 

 

 

“Hardly, Brian.  Its just that taking into consideration your past debilitated state, you could have definitely used my services back then.”

 

 

 

“Oh… gets even more interesting now… are you a Chef, Dan?”

 

 

 

Dan laughed.  “Brian, I am an Occupational and Physical Therapist.”

 

 

 

“What!  You’re kidding me!”

 

 

 

“Kid you not.”

 

 

 

“Fuck!  Where were you when I needed you, Dan?”

 

 

 

“Hey!  No one could find your damn ass anywhere, Brian!  Like Cary and I said, we were actually beginning to wonder if you were still alive.”

 

 

 

“Well, again as you can see – I’m very much still alive.”

 

 

 

“What happened anyway, Brian?  I’m dying for you to fill me in on all the details.”

 

 

 

“Not much to tell, Dan.”

 

 

 

“Come on, Brian, give me an earful?  I’m not just anyone, you know.  You and I used to sleep under the same room sharing the same bed together every night.  That must count for something.”

 

 

 

“Sure it does.  Dan, by the way…”

 

 

 

“Huh?”

 

 

 

“It is really damn good to see you again.”

 

 

 

“You too, Brian.”

 

 

 

“Yeah, but also, I’m awfully surprise to see you though.  Didn’t you move far away somewhere after we broke up?”

 

 

 

“Yeah.  You’re right.  I’ve lived all over for a while, actually.  Before I moved back here, I lasted resided in Milwaukee.”

 

 

 

“Oh?  What brings you all the way back this way?”

 

 

 

 “My job among other things.  I still have my roots here, you know.  My family is here and many of my good friends are.  Earlier during the year, I was visiting some family who lives here, and then some who live inside the Big Apple, and I felt really homesick.  I almost didn’t want to return to Milwaukee, but my job was there, so I had too.”

 

 

 

“Excuse me,” a waitress finally showed up for their food order and interrupted.  “Have you gentlemen decided what you would like now?”

 

 

 

Brian and Dan told the woman what they wanted to eat, and then Dan continued where he had left off.  “But I didn’t become totally serious about moving back here until my boss picked me to attend a convention in New York City.  The convention is still a little ways off, but shortly after my boss told me about it I learned my company has offices here in Pittsburgh.  I didn’t know that at first; but then I put in for a transfer… and here I am.”

 

 

 

“Wow!  Talk about the unexpected and doing something on the spur… that’s quite amazing.  So, where are you staying?”

 

 

 

“I only got back into town less than a week ago, Brian.  So, I’m temporarily staying with some relatives while I look for a place of my own.  Boy!  Did I really like that place on Tremont that you just got.”

 

 

 

“Yeah, that place is really something,” Brian pondered on that a moment, and a gleam lit up in his eyes.  “Justin loved it too.”

 

 

 

“Huh?  What?”

 

 

 

“Oh,” Brian started explaining as he reminisced, “I recall when Jus…” he briefly paused. 

 

 

 

“Yeah, Bri?  What about Justin?”

 

 

 

“Nothing really,” Brian mumbled as he attempted to push thoughts of his ex-husband out of his mind.  “I just recall ages ago when I was in the market for a place, a realtor once showed me a few places on Tremont, and ironically enough one was that same loft I purchased today.  I really liked it back then and I still like it now.  However, back then it didn’t fit my lifestyle at the time, so I let it slip through my fingers.  So, I got really excited when the realtor told me it was available again.”

 

 

 

“It is a really a swell bachelor’s pad, Brian.  I regret like hell that I couldn’t afford it.  But, Brian?”

 

 

 

“Yeah?”

 

 

 

“I think I know now what would be the best way to celebrate your return to the living.”

 

 

 

“What did you have in mind, Dan?”

 

 

 

“Ever hear of the White Party?”

 

 

 

“What gay man hasn’t?”

 

 

 

“Ever been?”

 

 

 

“I’m probably the only gay man who hasn’t?”  Brian further kidded.

 

 

 

“Well, how about changing that?”

 

 

 

“Huh?”

 

 

 

“There’s one about to get underway in Vegas any moment now.  Why don’t you and I go there together?”

 

 

 

“Umm… to Vegas it is then,” Brian agreed with his ex, and tapped his glass up against Dan’s.