Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

Chapter 145 added Mon., 3/4/13

145: Probably Just My Imagination Running Away With Me?

 

            “Kick your leg up in the air, Justin, and try hitting the center of my right palm with your left foot.”

 

“Can’t I hurt you if I did that, Cody?  I really don’t want to.”  Justin cautioned as he stood barefoot and looked quite fearless adorned in the traditional white martial arts attire, while he took instruction from his fighting coach, who was dressed similarly but in all black with a red belt tied around his waist.

 

“No, I’ll be just fine because I know it’s coming.”

 

Justin then kicked his leg high into the air and his foot tapped Cody Bell’s hand very softly.

 

“Hey you got to put a lot more oomph into it than that, Mr. Taylor.”

 

“I don’t want to hurt you.”

 

“I already told you that you wouldn’t.”

 

So, Justin put a lot more might into it and kicked Cody in the hand several times; and when they were done with that particular exercise, his teacher showed him some more defense techniques and then called an end to that morning’s lesson.

 

“Thanks,” Justin said as he bowed to the instructor, and Cody dismissed him from class, and then he picked up his towel and wiped the sweat from his brow.

 

“See you next time!” Cody shouted behind Justin as his conscientious pupil headed for the lockers.

 

“Later!”  Justin screamed back. 

 

Justin got naked back there and tied a towel around his waist ready to hit the showers when a man approached him from the behind and placed both his hands on Justin’s waistline.  That was all the hint that Justin needed and then he followed the man into the restroom, got a condom out of a machine in there, and then they occupied a stall together and Justin fucked that ass something fiercely.

 

“Take my number,” the man tried to pass it to Justin after they were done.  “And, next time I want inside you.”

 

“Sorry,” Justin rejected the man’s number.

 

“Why not?  I really like you?  So, take the number.”

 

“Thanks for liking me but I don’t do repeats.”

 

“Why not?”

 

“I truly have my reasons,” Justin simply replied and then he hurried to the showers, bathed and then left for the art gallery.

 

 

 

“What the fuck… is that who I think it is…  no way?” Justin thought out loud as he was heading next door to the art gallery when for a mere second it seemed he saw someone he knew standing across the street but then passersby blocked his view of person and when he looked the second time he didn’t see him again, so he chucked it up as pure imagination and then he walked next door to the art gallery and went inside.

 

 

 

            “Tony, you got to learn how to hang the paintings straighter than that.”  Justin overheard Sidney Bloom say that to a stock boy he was giving instructions to.  “That’s on a slant that is entirely too steep; and how many times do I have to keep telling you that this is an art gallery not one of Batman and Robin nemesis’s hideouts.”

 

“What do you think?”  Sidney asked Justin’s opinion the moment he noticed the artist was inside the gallery and standing very close to him.  “Do you think that’s hung too crooked, dear?”

 

“Depends on whether you’re talking about the painting or Antonio?”  Justin licked his lips and joked while staring directly at the stock boy’s mid section.

 

“My god, Justin!  Did you do Tony too!  You’re developing quite the same rep here in Paris as you did in Milan and other places.  I mean who in all of Europe haven’t you done yet?”

 

“I haven’t done you, Sidney.”

 

“Don’t rub it in, you beautiful young HOT thang you.”

 

“I’m done here,” Antonio announced.

 

“You’re be done here for good, young man, if you don’t learn to hang a painting straighter than that.”  Sidney reprimanded the Parisian born hot stud and then Justin and the promoter scurried over to the painting and hung it properly themselves, while Antonio ran off to mingle with some of the guests who were just arriving.

 

“Justin sweetie, here comes your clan,” Sidney informed him when he saw Lindsay, Mel, and the two boys [Gus and J.C] walk inside the gallery.  Pearl had the day off so she wasn’t there.

 

“Daddy-Justin,” Gus yelled while running towards him.  “Daddy,” J.C. yelled and came running as well.

 

Justin abandoned the hanging event and then stoop down, stretched his arms wide demonstrating how eager he was for the two boys to catch up to him.   He hugged the boys and kissed them. 

 

“My god!”  Justin exclaimed just then.  “J.C., what’s all this smut behind your ears?”

 

“J.C. played inside the fireplace again, Daddy-Justin,” Gus informed him.

 

“I thought you were finally over your fascination with fireplaces, J.C.”

 

“I still like the fireplaces, daddy.”

 

“Sure you do.”

 

“Come on, J.C.,” Gus demanded as he protectively grabbed onto his little brother’s hand, and their parents allowed them to run around freely and play inside the gallery.

 

“Hi, Lindz and Mel,” Justin stood to his feet and then greeted the women.

 

“Hi Jus,” they greeted him simultaneously.

 

“I’ve never seen any of these pieces before, Justin,” Mel said and found herself mesmerized that quickly.  “This stuff is divine.”

 

“Thanks, Mel.  But actually they are old creations.”

 

“Everything he does is divine, actually Mel,” Lindsay praised. 

 

“He himself is divine,” Sidney complimented.

 

“I’m a mere human like everyone else, Sid and Lindz,” Justin modestly stated but still had a divinely dazzling smile on his face though.

 

“Maybe so,” Lindsay commented, “But Justin, your stuff is flying off the walls even too quickly for you to put together something new.  Sid and I don’t know what we going to do when these few pieces are sold.  We might not have additional stuff to put up on the wall for you.”

 

“Well, at least one piece here is not for sale.  So, you can count on that one being forever on display,” Justin said,  “Also, I have other pieces in storage back in the States as well as at…” Justin paused when he thought of the art that Brian had delivered to Britin and hung on the walls there.

 

“Umm… which one is not for sale?” Mel looked at all the pieces displayed and wondered.

 

“Guess,” Justin replied and didn’t give even one hint.

 

“I have no idea,” Mel truthfully answered.  “So, which one, Justin?”

 

“I’ll tell you later,” he said and then Mel wondered why was he being so secretive… elusive… or both.

 

“Yes, you are human after all, Justin,” Lindsay said.  “And maybe it’s about time you start acting human.”

 

“Huh?  What is that supposed to mean?”  Justin asked.

 

“Is this the one that is not for sale?”  Mel interrupted.  “This painting of a wedding is definitely stands out above all the rest.”

 

“I like that one too, Mel.  It’s certainly a favorite of mine,” Lindsay agreed.

 

“No.  It’s not that one,” Justin informed Mel (Lindsay and Sidney already knew which one it was).

 

“I kind of wish it was though,” Lindsay stated.

 

“Oh?”  Justin inquired.

 

“Justin,” Lindsay started to explain, “That was the point I was trying to make when I said you ought to try acting human again.”

 

“What,” Justin chuckled,  “What are you possibly trying to say, Lindsay?”

 

“I mean if you’re painting weddings these days…”

 

“Hey!  It’s an old painting, Lindsay.”

 

“Oh?  Yeah right… but still…”

 

“But still what?”  Justin was terribly curious.

 

“Mel and I was wondering about you know….”

 

“No, I don’t know.  Get to the point… will you.”

 

“Have you thought about a steady relationship, lately?”  Mel put it right out on the table,  “God knows you need to put and end to this newly acquired promiscuity that you seem to have adopted and...”

 

“Stop!  Stop it right there, ladies.  That’s absolutely none of your damn business.  Butt out.”

 

“But, Justin…” Lindsay whined.

 

“Lindsay and Mel, will you two forever stay out of my love life?  It was the two of you that hyped Jensen up to me when I was content to just be pals with him, until you two kept talking at me.  I know what I want and don’t want.  So, stop trying to get me to do what you two want.  Besides, I’m only temporarily living inside Europe.  I don’t want to meet someone out here and then have to worry about whether or not he wants to go back home with me when I’m ready to leave here.”

 

“He’s definitely got a good point there, girls,” Sidney backed Justin up.

 

The point is that you two stay out of it.  Take care of your own love affairs and leave mine’s alone.”

 

“Sure,” Melanie said and in spite of what Justin just had told her she then asked.  “Are you completely over what happened to Jensen though, Justin?”

 

“Yeah, I’m over it.  I know none of that was my fault.  I’ve been discussing it with my therapist.  I’m well pass it now.”

 

“And Brian?”  Mel asked.

 

“I’ve already told you that that is none of your business… but if you must know, I’ve completely put that in perspective too, Mel.”  Justin was terribly short with her.

 

“Sure about that?”  She badgered.

 

“Yes, I am absolutely sure about what it is I like to do about Brian, but still how many times do I need to tell you that that’s none of your business.”  He feared if he told Lindsay and Mel about his intentions to pursue Brian again and hopefully persuade him to remarry him, they might try to talk him out of that too.

 

Mel and Lindsay became quiet then and just looked at each other; and things were a bit awkward for a moment until Sidney diverted everyone’s attention elsewhere.  “Ladies, Justin, the gallery is starting to fill up already,” he informed everyone.  Then a quite attractive and very distinguishing gentleman walked into the gallery and immediately got Sidney’s attention.

 

“Excuse me, everyone,” Sid said and then he went over to the door to greet the man.

 

Justin looked that way too and he looked quite startled when it looked like he saw that same person he saw earlier again, but that time he was peering at him through a window.

 

“Hmm,” Lindsay and Mel leaned into Justin from both sides and got his attention away from the man looking through the window.  “I wonder who’s he?”  Lindsay asked.  “He’s devilishly handsome.”

 

“Whom?”  Justin asked as he looked away from the man and at the ladies, then back again at the window but like the first time the man quickly disappeared; and again Justin wondered if his mind was playing tricks on him.

 

“HOT, HOT, HOT,” Melanie kept tugging at Justin’s thoughts, as she rated the tall dark and handsome gentleman standing close to the exit conversing with Sidney.  “And, that’s coming from a couple of lesbos!  So I can only imagine what you see, Justin.”

 

“Melanie and I noticed the way you keep staring intensely over there… and it doesn’t seem like the usually lust you have all over your countenance.”

 

“Well, actually,” Justin stated truthfully, “ I was looking elsewhere.”

 

“Sure you were,” the lady’s teased (not believing Justin).

 

“Hmm.” Justin forgot about the man he might or might not have seen and then he turned his attention to the handsome man that Sidney was headed that way with, and then he was full of nothing but lust.  “He’s definitely someone who I wouldn’t mind getting lost in a broom closet with for at least fifteen minutes,” Justin assertively teased the women.

 

“That’s not exactly what we meant, Justin.”

 

“I don’t care what you meant… but it’s what I meant… EXACTLY.”  Justin shut them both up with that statement.

 

 

“Justin, ladies, there’s someone I want you to meet.”  Sidney announced as he arrived back at Justin’s wall with the attractive man.  “Everyone, this handsome native-born Brit, I have here with me, is Dr. Clay Masterson.”  Sidney then turned to Clay.  “This married couple is Lindsay and Melanie Peterson-Marcus; and the sweltering good looking artist is no other than the man whose work you told me you’ve been admiring so much.  Dr. Masterson… this is Justin Taylor.”

 

‘Wow!  Hmm, the handsomest.’  Justin immediately thought he might come out of his skin this man was so good-looking and already he seemed, similar like Brian, to have a certain sophistication and charm about himself that was uniquely his own.  He immediately wondered what kind of doctor was he?

 

“Hi,” they both greeted each other simultaneously and shared a handshake.  “Warm hands,” Clay remarked.

 

“Yours too,” Justin said, “Definitely not a physician then?”  Justin assumed.  “Every medical doctor’s hand I ever shook was icy cold.  Are you a doctor of philosophy or some kind?”

 

“Well, Justin, Clay actually is a physician… a surgeon to be exact; once a residence of Paris but now he lives in Brussels.  Also, he’s a collector of fine things, and he’s lived all over Europe.  He frequent in several languages… including Dutch and German (just to name a few).”

 

“Impressive,” Justin smiled heartily at the surgeon.

 

“Like Sidney said, I DO love your work, Mr. Taylor,” the doctor complimented the artist,  “And have several pieces in my collection already.”

 

“Thanks, I’m flattered; and call me Justin.”

 

“Justin.  Call me Clay.

 

“Clay,” Justin murmured.

 

“These are some pretty interesting pieces you have displayed here,” Clay said as he walked up closer to Justin’s wall and scrutinized his work.  “This abstract piece of a tragic multi-vehicle car accident is particularly magnificent… masterpiece actually.”

 

“Whattt… are you serious?”  Justin was flabbergasted.

 

“Huh?  Did I say something wrong?”  Clay looked really concerned.

 

“No… only too right, actually.  Few people, even renowned connoisseurs included, were not able to decipher that it was a car accident what along fully detect the tragic mood of the piece.”

 

“Its meaning is quite clear to me.  I can also see how you (the artist) poured your complete soul into this one.  That is not to diminish the quality of anything else that you have exhibited here… but this one stands out far ahead of the others.”

 

“It most certainly does,” Lindsay and Sidney expressed (being in total agreement with Clay’s assessment). 

 

“I gather this piece is terribly expensive then?”  Clay asked.

 

“Priceless actually,” Justin answered.  “It’s not for sale, actually.  It’s just for show.”

 

“Oh,” Melanie sighed, “So that’s the one,” and she could imagine why Justin didn’t want to sell it.

 

“I can imagine why it’s not for sale,” Clay said for he read about Brian's accident in one of the articles written about Justin.  He then moved farther down the wall and looked at what he considered the second most interesting work displayed there, and he comment on that one as well.  “I think your abstracts are the most interesting of ALL your creations, Mr. Taylor.  Many of them seem to tell your life story, actually.  How about this one?”

 

“Really?  I swear if you can translate that one for me, I’ll actually give it to you for FREE, for few people can figure it out at all, and those who do usually take a long time to figure it out, but still they don’t understand absolutely everything about this painting.”

 

“Excuse me if I stumble, but I’d definitely take a crack at it.”

 

“By all means tell me what you see?”  Justin figured the doctor would never figure it out entirely.

 

“And if I can, I can really have it?”  The doctor doubled checked.

 

“Sure, if you can decipher it COMPLETELY or do at least an impressive enought interpretation.”

 

“Yes, but before I take a stab at it, let me say this as well.”

 

“What’s that?”

 

“You’re such an incredible artist, Justin, that although some people don’t have the insight to fully understand some of your abstract pieces, yet your creation is so eye-catching, and the most novice of eyes can see an amazing beauty in your work even if they lack the understanding or intellect to interpret its meaning.”

 

“Did Sidney say you were a doctor or a greeting card author?”  Justin mocked.

 

“I’m not one to give empty flattery, Justin.  I almost always mean what I say.   Overall everything you created is a thing of astonishing beauty.”

 

“Oh,” Justin slightly blushed and nodded.  “Thanks.”

 

“You’re welcome,” Clay said.  “Now back to what I see here.”

 

“Please, I’m still dying to know.  What do you see?”

 

“A woman and doctors in the OR at a hospital.”

 

“Hmm… so far… so good… and…”

 

Clay examined it a little bit more intensely before he answered.  “The woman is in the process of giving birth…”

 

“You’re kidding!”

 

“Oh… did I misinterpret something?”

 

“No.  You right on mark, actually.  I just can’t imagine anyone picking that up so fast and clearly like that, but still that’s not enough to earn you the piece.  Anything else?”

 

“Yes.  This area here…” Clay pointed to the area with his right index finger, “I gather from your choices of hues and the peculiar paint strokes, you are probably depicting something dark and eerie like loneliness, sadness, or…” he paused for a second, “Death even… could it be death?  Shh, don’t tell me yet.”  Clay studied the painting even more closely and then he looked at Justin.  “I going to acquire this painting free of charge after all,” he said with confidence as he flashed a pleasant smile at Justin.  “Yes, it is death.  This woman… a woman that was very close to you died giving birth.” 

 

“What?”  Justin was absolutely amazed because he knew that nothing was ever written up about his relationship with Daphne because he never shared that fact with the media.  So, the doctor was not guessing but actually expressing exactly what he saw.

 

“Yeah,” Clay continued to assess.  “I’m sure that’s what the tiny pink hearts are all about.  They are a faint pink instead of crimson read because it signifies a deep love but not being in love… more like a very deep platonic affection though… but it gets even more interesting than that.”

 

“Huh?”

 

“It gets questioningly… like the artist (yourself) is asking some ultimate question.  If I’m correct,” he points to a place on the canvas, “This is a picture of a clock crossed with a calendar and it is surrounded with small question marks and then one really big question mark?  I think that is what those symbols are?”

 

“You’re correct… that is like an all-in-one clock and calendar and those are question marks surrounding it… ”

 

“It depicts time in terms of these times… our current day?”  Clay asked.

 

“Yeah… and… you’re right… but so… what do you think I was trying to relay there?” 

 

“That’s where the big question comes into play.”

 

“What do you mean by that?”

 

“Sadly, this woman who has been so dear to you has died in child birth, and because of it, you have struggled with this question:  Why would something like that happen to a woman (like her) in this day and age?” 

 

Clay noticed how amazed and astounded Justin looked then, which prompt him to ask, “So do I get to walk out of here with a free painting or not?”

 

“Linds… Sidney… wrap it up for the doc,” Justin robustly commanded.  “He’s definitely earned it.  I’m really impressed, Clay.  Did you study art in college or somewhere?”

 

“Yes.  But regardless I always loved art.  I actually envy what things someone like you can bring to life with paint on a canvas.  Me (myself) was never able to do that… I actually failed measurably at finger painting in Pre-K.”

 

Justin laughed.  “However, you are a surgeon so you must be pretty damn good with your hands and you sustain life with your fingers.  So what you can do with your hands is pretty damn incredible as well.”

 

“So, I’m saying thank you to you now, and you’re right people have told me I’m rather great with my hands,” Clay said as he gave Justin a seductive look just then that kind of hinted he’s not necessary referring to how well he uses them in the OR.  “How about discussing what you do with your hands and what I do with mines, in greater detail during dinner at my place, tonight?  I can show you what works of yours I purchased and where it’s displayed in my house.  As well as you can advise me where I should hang this newest piece that you just gave me?”

 

‘Hmm,” Justin thought to himself as he recalled the last good time he had had when he last followed a man home and showed him where he should hang one of his paintings.  ‘Up-oh, though,’ Justin’s smile suddenly turned upside down when he got a quick glance at the Clay’s left hand and saw something there that was a total turn off to him.

 

“Gentlemen, will you excuse us for a second,” Sidney proposed, “While, Lindsay and I get this painting ready for you to take with you, Clay.  Also, I’ll like to take the ladies across the room and show them some must see gender-based art.  The kind designed especially for a lesbian’s taste.  What do you think ladies?   Do you want to walk over to the other side of the room with me?  But, Clay…”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“Don’t let Justin Taylor fool you.  He only looks like an angel.  I nicknamed him ‘the bad boy of art’ for a reason.” 

 

“Oh really, Sid?  Up until know, I’ve never even heard you call me that before… so why now?  Justin asked.

 

“Because just now was the first time I thought of it.  So for now on consider yourself christened as such, especially if you run off with this gent somewhere.   He’s not the usual type you are accustomed to, Justin,” Sidney sounded like he was warning Justin of something.  “Come along now, Mel and Lindsay… and let’s leave these two gents to themselves.  Later, boys.”

 

Justin wondered what did Sidney mean by all that he had said, however, he remembered quickly enough what he saw on the doctor’s hand earlier (that he tries to keep out of sight but everyone once and a while forgets himself).

 

“Well, Justin?  I can’t even begin to express how excited I am that you and I have finally met, and it is true, I have been admiring your art and you from afar, so, umm… and I hope you don’t mind me saying so, but you really should put that one up for sale.”  Clay indicated the one of the tragic accident scene.

 

“I can’t.”

 

“Not quite ready to part with it yet?”

 

Justin looked at Clay’s finger and then replied, “I’m not the only one who can’t part with a certain thing.”

 

“Hmm,” Clay murmured (not quite getting Justin’s meaning) but he let it slide.  “So, umm… you never gave me an answer… how about that dinner at my place, tonight?”

 

“What kind of dinner?”

 

“What?  Is there more than one kind?”  Clay chuckled.

 

“Sure there is?  Business dinner, social dinner, romantic dinner… and then there’s just plain every-day-dinner?”

 

“What do you prefer, Justin?”

 

“Well, from the looks of that wedding band on your finger, I’ll say romantic is definitely out of the picture.  Is your spouse aware that you solicits painters in art galleries?”

 

“Spouse?  I have no spouse.  I’m a widower.”

 

“What?”

 

“My husband died almost three year ago, but I yet wear the ring.”

 

“Oh?  Sorry.”  Justin then realized what it was that Sidney had warned him about, and he sympathized with the man, but he could kind of relate.  He recalls how he felt during that brief period when he believed Brian might die, and he had to admit he wore his wedding band a considerable amount of time after Brian had left him (even after the divorce was final).  He didn’t take it off until his psychiatrist talked him into it… not to mention he still slips it on his finger when he’s alone and sometimes sleeps with it on (and Brian’s still alive… so he could only imagine how much worse off he might be if Brian had died that day).

 

“Thanks,” Clay accepted Justin’s condolence.

 

“You’re welcome.”

 

“So, what about it?  Will you have dinner with me?”

 

“I rather not,” Justin answered honestly and then he was anxious to get away from the surgeon for it concerned him that the doc might be looking for something more than just the one-night stand he had in mind.  “Excuse me please?  I must find Sidney and my two female friends.”

 

“Sure,” Clay said.

 

Justin then walked away from the doctor and caught up to Sid and the women. “Sidney, can you tend to all the guests gathering at my wall while I step out a quick second to take a smoke; Lindz and Mel, you’re watch out for J.C. for me?”

 

“Sure, Justin,” Melanie said, “You know that goes without saying.”

 

“Thanks.”

 

“Justin, but really, what kind of smoke, dear?”  Sidney teased.  “Did Clay and you hit it off like that already?”

 

“No, we didn’t.  I meant literally smoking a cigarette, Sid.”

 

“Oh?  But what about Clay?”

 

“What about him?  You can have him for yourself, if you want,” Justin sardonically stated and then he hurried out of the gallery.  However, he wasn’t out there long before the doctor caught up to him and joined in out there.

 

“Hi again,” Clay approached Justin when the artist was done with his cigarette and tossing the butt inside a nearby trashcan.

 

“You’re pretty aggressive,” Justin was blunt with Clay.  He figured he dealt with his share of aggressive men to last him for a lifetime already.

 

“Oh?  I’m not trying to be overbearing or stalk you or anything like that, Justin.  In fact, I’m just trying to be a mere fan of your work.”

 

“Really?  Usually my fans don’t ask me to have one-on-one dinners with them.”

 

“I understand.  But do they ever ask you to have a mere lunch with them, especially when we are standing this close in proximity to an eatery.  It’s an outdoor café across the street, or is taking a quick bite with you at lunchtime also off limits to your fans?”

 

“Ordinarily, I might say no to that too, but I skipped breakfast this morning and I am starved.  So, I’ll walk across the street with you and grab a bite but that’s all there is to it.”

 

“Fine.  I’m just being an admirer of your art, Justin, and would like to just enjoy a nice meal over interesting conversation with you, especially since you have made it quite clear to me that you prefer nothing more from me.”

 

“Well, there is one other thing we might can do together, but only if you okay with it being just a one-time thing?” Justin hinted.

 

“Thanks, but I’m not into casual sex at all,” Clay was rather blunt.

 

“Oh well, I see where that would be a significant problem for me,” Justin clearly assessed, “Because casual sex is the only kind of sex I engage in, these days.”

 

“Still let’s go across the street and have that lunch?” Clay suggested but he thought what Justin had just said was awfully sad.

 

Justin nodded and then Clay and he walked across the street and a waiter seated them and gave them menus, and while they sat there perusing the food list, Justin couldn’t help but noticed Clay touched and rotated the ring on his finger a lot. 

 

“Are you okay about talking about your deceased husband?”  Justin surprised himself when he asked.  “To yet be wearing the ring after all this time, you must have been extremely deep in love with him?  What was his name; and how long were you together?”

 

“I’m thirty-seven now.  But I was seventeen and Uri was fifteen when we first met.  We stayed together all that time, and I was twenty-five and he twenty-three when we officially married.  He died during a boating accident almost three years ago.”

 

“So sorry to hear that.  That had to be quite tragic as well as totally unexpected for you,” Justin expressed his sympathies.  “You and he were together for a long time… if he was still alive today, it would be twenty years.  That’s along time to be inside a relationship.  So, losing him like that was no doubt quite painful.”

 

“It was… but time work wonders, I guess.  Considering what profession Uri was in, it’s quite amazing that he would die in a boating accident.”

 

“Oh?  What was his job?”

 

“He was a racecar driver.  I used to constantly fear that he’d have an accident on the racetrack and that would be his sudden demise… but who would have ever thought it would be on water in a boat instead.”

 

“So much about life and death is so unpredictable,” Justin rationalized.  “We can’t take it for grant that we might know when and how we are going to die.  But when it happens totally unexpected like it did with your husband, time can soften the blow a bit, I suppose… but you can’t always count on it to completely heal you?  Can you?  And, it seems you never forget,” Justin stated and Clay noticed the faraway look inside his eyes when he said it.

 

“Hmmm, are you thinking about your ex-husband’s accident and or the death of the woman in the abstract painting (maybe)?I am now more convinced than ever that she was a real person and not a fictitious character you made up in your head?” 

 

“You’re right, the woman in that painting that I gave you was a real person… mother of my son actually.”

 

“Oh?  Sorry that had to happened to her.”

 

“Thanks.  But like I said we don’t always know when and how.

 

“I read a little bit in the media about your ex-husband’s accident, but never anything about a woman who bared you a child?  I try to read up on these things about you, but you’re such a private person, so there really isn’t that much personal stuff written about you in those articles.”

 

“Yeah, I prefer that people read only about my work, and nothing at all about my personal life, but those who promote my work insist on marketing a lot more about this artist than just his work; and, by the way, when my friend died I adopted her son.  He’s not my biological kid.”

 

“Quite noble of you.”

 

“It was strictly about love… not nobility.”

 

The waiter then dropped by to see if the men were ready to order.

 

“Just give me this,” Justin pointed to what he wanted on the menu, and then the waiter took his menu and addressed Clay’s order, but the physician face was suddenly hidden behind the menu, so Justin looked in his direction but looked passed him and then he exclaimed, “What the…” he started to curse.

 

“Huh?”  Clay removed the menu from blocking his face and asked.

 

“Nothing,” Justin said.  “I just thought I saw someone I knew.  But that’s impossible.  It couldn’t possibly be him walking around out here.”

 

“Whom?”

 

“Umm… like I said… it couldn’t possibly be whom I thought it was… so never mind.” 

 

Justin wrote it off as simply his imagination especially considering he’s been dreaming about him an awfully lot and the reason why he’s in so many of his dreams terribly perplexed him.

 

“Your wine,” the waiter said when he returned to the men’s table with glasses and a bottle, and poured them a little bit to sample.

 

Clay tasted first and expressed his approval.

 

Justin started to test the vintage wine too, but he spilled a little on himself when he got excited when he thought again he saw that person.  “No fucking way,” Justin murmured when he thought to excuse himself and hurry across the street and investigate, but someone approached the side of him, distracting as well as exciting him.

 

“Hey there, sweetheart,” the man robustly greeted Justin, rushed him and kissed him passionately on the mouth and the kiss quickly ended.  “And, hi there to you too, Clay,” he then greeted the man across the table.

 

“Hi there, Ethan,” Clay acknowledged him back (obviously the violinist and the surgeon had met somewhere before).

 

“Ethan!  Ethan Gold!”  Justin exclaimed and rose from his seat and gave him a bear hug.  “What the hell are you doing here?”  Justin was as stunned as he was thrilled to see the musician who had once been his boy friend.

 

“Hey!  I’m the one who lives in these parts,” Ethan said.  “But I did hunt you down though.  Chris and I were waiting for you to finally arrive in Paris, so we could make it over to see you.”

 

“Oh?  You here for my exhibit?”

 

“You betcha, but we do live in Paris, Justin, you know.”

 

“Well actually, I wanted to get in touch with you for some time now, but your old cell number doesn’t work anymore,” Justin announced.

 

“Neither does yours, but consider us reunited now.”

 

“Sure, but obviously Clay and you know each other… but how?”

 

“Clay’s husband Uri used to be a racecar driver, and Chris is a big fan of that sport, and before Uri…”

 

“Passed away,” Clay interrupted and said, when he decided (for some reason) to finish Ethan’s thought for him. “Chris came to one of my deceased husband’s events when he drove in a race in the U.S., and he introduced himself and I never forgot Chris.  So, when he showed up here at the racetrack, although Uri had died by then, I spotted Chris at the track with Ethan one day, and we talked and been rather decent friends ever since.”

 

“Next door neighbors actually,” Ethan explained, “That is before this devilishly handsome doctor decided to move to Brussels.  It surely surprises me to find you two sitting here together… but again it shouldn’t, considering…”

 

“Considering what?”  Justin chuckled.

 

“Clay’s a big connoisseur of fine art.  He has a wide collection of my music as well as some of your art pieces in his collection, already.  Not to mention, Justin, you have such fine taste in men… minus Brian, of course.”

 

“Quite arrogant of you, Ethan, as usual,” Justin mocked him, “Being that you are aware that Brian and you have been my only two men,” Justin then added, “That you know of.”  He’s quite careful not to tell too many people about his short engagement with Jensen.

 

“Well, I wouldn’t know how good of a boyfriend Ethan was or how good of husband your ex was, but I can almost assure you that both Brian and Ethan have been equally lucky men,” Clay flattered Justin.

 

“Hey, I kid you not, Clay, when I say I was the best boy friend Justin’s ever had,” Ethan tooted his own horn.

 

“Don’t you dare believe him, Clay,” Justin good-humouredly defended Brian’s honor.  “Well, since we all know each other, why don’t you sit and eat with us, Ethan?” 

 

“No.  I really can’t.  I have to meet Chris somewhere in the area and then later on we’re going to swing around to the art gallery to see you.  But Justin, since neither of our old cells numbers work anymore, why don’t we exchange numbers now.”

 

“Sure,” Justin agreed and then the men did that.

 

“Sure you can’t stay for just one drink,” Justin tried to persuade his ex to stick around a little longer.

 

“Love to but Chris…”

 

“Has just arrived,” Ethan’s blond boyfriend announced himself as he seemed to materialize out of nowhere and was standing at the table right beside his man. 

 

“Chrisss,” Ethan turned and faced him and they shared a quick peck on the lips.  “Where did you come from just now?”

 

“Cleaners across the way there.  I was dropping off a few things over there and just happened to look this way and saw the moment you walked up and approached these men.  Hi, Justin and Clay… how are you?”  Chris greeted the men and then kissed them both on the lips; and Justin felt that Ethan’s boyfriend still possessed a wandering eye.

 

“Hi, Chris,” they chorused.

 

“I’m good,” Justin then added.

 

“Likewise,” Clay replied.

 

“So?”  Chris asked, “Are Ethan and myself invited to lunch?”

 

“Please do join us,” Justin looked to Clay for approval.

 

“Have a seat, Ethan and Chris,” Clay said and the other two men sat.

 

 

           

“Fuck!”  Brian cursed as Robert and he came crashing to the floor together, his body nearly crushing Robert beneath him.

 

“Don’t get so impatient and frustrated, Brian.  You’re doing just swell… remarkably well,” Robert encouraged him as he got his client off the top of him and helped him back to his feet.

 

“Yeah sure, Shemar,” Brian grunted, “But I fall a lot, and when am I going to be able to take more than just five baby steps before I can stand unsupported by you or something else rather than my own body.”

 

“Time flies you know.  It won’t be too much longer before you will be able to support yourself with your own body.  Now grabbed a hold of the bars again and balance yourself.”

 

“Impatient, Shemar!!!”  Brian blasted him as he struggled to keep his balance.  “I’ve been inside that damn wheelchair for a helluva long time now, and it actually feels like forever.  I can barely take it anymore.”

 

“Hey!  Stop bitching!  It’s only a matter of days now, Brian.  Ted and Harold set a wedding date already and expect you to stand by their side.  By now you should be in a really high spirits (twenty-four-seven).”

 

“You know what would put me in a very good mood right now, Robert?”

 

“Yeah… Justin back inside your life.”

 

“Would you stop that shit, Shemar!  You know what I prefer.”

 

“Kind of early in the day for it though,” Robert complained.

 

“Never too early or never too late for me,” Brian protested. 

 

“Do you ever get enough, Brian?”

 

“Never enough.”

 

“Why?  Are you trying to compensate for something?”

 

“Why must you always bring my ex-husband into the conversation, Shemar?  Don’t answer that!  Just arrange it for me… will you? And besides that probably the best therapy of all.”

 

“If you say so.  But whom do you prefer I call this time?”

 

“I like that one you called over here the last couple of times.”

 

“Another carbon-copy of the artist again?  It’s amazing how many guys I can find that actually looks like your ex.” 

 

“Never mind the sly remarks, Robert, just give what’s-his-face a call and order him over here.”

 

“Okay, Brian, your wish is my command.”

 

“Thanks, genie.”

 

“Whatever.”

 

 

 

            “Justin, we can head back over to the art gallery with you now,” Ethan suggested as the four men were done with their lunch and the waiter was heading that way with the bill. 

 

“But Justin and Clay, Ethan and I have to extend an invitation to have you both to dinner one night this week.  We’re not taking no for an answer.  So, how about tonight actually?”

 

The waiter then arrived with the bill and all the men turned their attention to him.

 

“Please, let me get this,” Clay already had his credit card out.

 

“Sure?”  Justin asked.  “I can very well…”

 

“Please, Justin?  It will be my pleasure.”

 

“Let him, Justin.  Trust me…” Ethan said.  “Its no strain on that one’s pocketbook strings and the wine alone must cost a small fortune.”

 

“I wouldn’t think it would be any strain on anyone at this table’s purse… but okay, Clay, if you insist.  Thank you.”  Justin answered. 

 

Clay then gave the waiter his card and the men sat finishing up their coffee while waiting for the waiter to return with Clay’s card and receipt.

 

“Justin…” Ethan started to strike up additional conversation with the artist but he was looking pass Clay’s shoulder and was very attentive about something.  “Justin!”  Ethan tried to get his attention once more and brought him out of his trance.  “Are you okay?  What are you looking at across the street?”

 

“I’m fine.  It just my mind’s been playing tricks on me lately.  I keep imagining I’m seeing someone walking around here but I almost sure it couldn’t possibly be him… terribly unlikely he’d be here.”

 

“Whom?”

 

“Umm… never mind… it’s just my imagination anyway… so why bother to say whom,” Justin answered and if he wasn’t still looking across the street, he might have noticed the strange look that Ethan and Chris flashed each other.

 

Momentarily the waiter returned, and the three of the men stood up to leave.

 

“You three go ahead,” Justin ordered the other men as he remained seated, “I have to go get some cigarettes, I’ll meet up with everyone later.”

 

“Okay, later,” they said and then they headed back across the street to the gallery while Justin headed somewhere other than a place where he could purchase cigarettes.  Instead, he looked around and located that same man again and he ran across the street to accost him. 

 

“Hey!  Hey!  Hey you!”  Justin hollered as he approached the man but he turned and walked the other way as soon as he realized Justin had spotted him.

 

The man marched quickly down the street and turned a corner and by the time Justin got around the same corner the man was nowhere in sight.  “Fuck!”  Justin second-guessed himself.  “It couldn’t have been him anyway.”  Justin then walked over to a stand and purchased his favorite brand of cigarettes and hurried back inside the gallery.