Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

Chapter 107 added 12/25/12

 

Chapter 107:  The Beauty of a Voice

 

 

 

 

 

            “Hi, this is Janine with Boost Mobile ®.  I’m calling about your current cell phone account, the bill is overdue and if you don’t make a payment by the 31st, we will discontinue your service.  Please…”

 

 

 

            Justin’s grandmother came inside the apartment precisely at the time that message was being recorded on the landline, and she cut it short, lifted the receiver and gave her grandson a call.  He was in Seattle Washington tending to his soon-to-be adopted son.

 

 

 

“Hi, grandma, what’s up?”  Justin asked her as he was just exiting the hospital and heading to his car in the parking lot.  “How’s the weather back there in Pitts-land?”  He teased.  “Seattle’s having a really great day.”

 

 

 

“The weather is pretty remarkable here too, Justin, and what’s up with you too?  I hear a lot of cheer in your voice!”  Grandma-Taylor was so thrilled to hear her grandson sounding very similar to his normal self.  “How’s my new great-grandson doing, and Daphne’s parents?”

 

 

 

“Grandma!  The baby’s a real delight.  He’s gained so much weight already.  He’s a real trooper just like his mom was.  I’m so in love with the little guy.  I can’t wait for the hospital to give me the go ahead to bring J.C. home from the hospital.  I’m just…”

 

 

 

“Who?  J.C.?”

 

 

 

“That’s J.C. for Justin Chanders, mom.  Daphne’s parents told me that Daphne had his name picked out already.  She wanted him named Justin Brian Chanders.”

 

 

 

“Wow! You’re kidding?”

 

 

 

“I kid you not grandma.  Daphne really wanted him to be named that, so I had to honor it.  So Justin Brian Chanders-Taylor is what the birth certificate now reads.  I’m just now wrapping up my morning visit with him.  I’ll see him again a couple more times throughout the day.  But right now I’m in the parking lot heading to my car and about to drive back to the Chanders’ place.”

 

 

 

“Oh-h-h, I'm so happy for you, Justin!”

 

 

 

“Grandma, you’re crying,” Justin chuckled.

 

 

 

“That’s how FUCKING happy I am for you!”

 

 

 

“Now you’re swearing - now I know you’re overly ecstatic for me.  You wouldn’t believe, grandma, how already amazing it is to be a parent.”

 

 

 

“Excuse me, Justin!  Do you think you’re the only one on this planet that’s ever been a parent?”

 

 

 

“It certainly starting to feel that way, grandma.  It’s so exciting!”

 

 

 

“That’s because the hard work haven’t started for you yet.  Wait until you get the little holler home from the hospital and the late-night feedings and diaper changes start, you’d know then that you aren’t the only parent on the damn planet.  You will be calling all over the place to every parent you know begging for their help and advice.  You can put me on automatic speed dial right this instant, Budd,” She mocked,” But Justin, all teasing to the side, I know you’re going to make a dynamic father.  Daphne couldn’t have left her bundle-of-joy in better hands.  I’m so proud of you, dear.”

 

 

 

“Thanks grandma, and will you stop crying before you start me back up.  And, that’s the last thing I want to do, because I had been crying so much about Brian and I finally found something that has put a smile on my face and now you just going to return me back sobbing my eyes out again.”

 

 

 

“Oh no, dear!  I will definitely pull myself together now, because that’s the last thing I want to see happen too.  I’m so glad you’ve found another outlet that keeps you from pining over Brian all the time.”

 

 

 

“Well, I can’t say that’s completely the case, grandma.  I think I will always pine over Brian at least a little.  He is my husband still and I miss him so much.  I feel I will always be in love with him.”

 

 

 

“I know, Justin, but believe me when I say that every passing day it gets easier to bear, especially when you go about taking care of your business and doing things just the way you’re doing now - that is finding new and exciting things to occupy your mind and time.  The key is to keep on moving on and chose not to dwell in the past.”

 

 

 

“It’s not the past I think so much about, grandma, but the present and future; but not necessarily my own so much but Brian’s mostly.  The worst thing about this is NOT KNOWING.  I don’t know where he is or how well he’s been taken care of.  Those are the things that torment me the most.  I mean as painful as it is for me, I think I’ve accepted that Brian doesn’t want to be with me any more, and he has chosen some other man over me, but still I won’t rest easy until I know for sure my husband’s alright.”

 

 

 

“Justin.”

 

 

 

“Don’t grandma.  It’s alright, my therapist says I have to think realistically about this.”

 

 

 

“Therapist?  Justin, I didn’t know you were seeing a psychiatrist.”

 

 

 

“Yeah, my mother suggested it to me.  Last week, I found one right here in Seattle.  Grandma, I also hired a private detective to look for Brian for me.”

 

 

 

“Oh?  And, what is it you plan to do when and if this detective finds him?”

 

 

 

“I don’t really plan to do anything.  It’s like I said earlier, mostly I just want to be assured he’s being properly taken care of.  So, basically you can say I’m playing this by ear.”

 

 

 

“How long ago did you hire the detective?”

 

 

 

“I just hired him yesterday, so he hasn’t been able to deliver anything yet, but I’m really hopeful.”

 

 

 

“Well dear, I wish you luck on that… I think.”

 

 

 

“What do you mean you think?”

 

 

 

“Honestly Justin, I don’t know what to think.  I think it’s quite obvious Brian doesn’t want to be found, and you just said you’ve accepted that he doesn’t want to be with you.”

 

 

 

“So, are you telling me that looking for him is something I oughtn’t do?  But it’s something I need to do grandma because I need to know that he’s alright.”

 

 

 

“I certainly understand that, dear, but for both your sakes, if the detective finds Brian, you be careful to deal delicately with the situation.  Keep in mind Brian’s state of health and level of vulnerability (both mental and physical).  God forbids you doing something that would make his medical condition worst in any way.  In other words, son, weigh you priorities well.”

 

 

 

“I understand what you are saying, grandma.  But I feel that if I can just get inside the same room with my husband again, maybe I can talk some sense into him, and persuade him to come back home with me.  But that might not be so easy considering that there’s another man involved, and I don’t know what Brian’s feelings are for this guy named Harold.  That’s a real big obstacle.  So, in all essence, grandma, I don’t know the first thing I’m going to do when this detective tells me that he’s located my husband!”

 

 

 

“Justin, already you are contradicting yourself,” Grandma-Taylor pointed that out to him.  “So let’s try just moving away from the subject of Brian for a while.  You were doing so well when I first got you on the phone.  Now I can hear you’re about to tear up and start pining again.  So let’s try getting you back to the place you were when I first got you on the phone.” 

 

 

 

Grandma herself then steered the conversing to a different course (or at least that was what she thought she was doing).  “Oh by the way, I called to tell you that your cell phone provider called.”

 

 

 

“Huh?  Really?  They called me on the landline?  That’s strange.  They always called me on my cell in the past; but anyway what did they want?”

 

 

 

“They’re threatening to cut your phone off if you don’t make a payment by the 31st.”

 

 

 

“What?  Are you sure, grandma, because I paid the full bill just a week ago and that was via the Internet, so I’m sure they’ve received payment by now.”

 

 

 

“Well, the person leaving the message said she was from Boost Mobile ®…”

 

 

 

“Boost Mobile ®, grandma?  That is Brian’s service provider not mines.”

 

 

 

“Oh.  I’m sorry.”

 

 

 

“Don’t be.  That actually gives me an idea.”

 

 

 

“What’s that, dear?”

 

 

 

“Well, just like you called me with the message when you thought it was intended for me, I guess I can do the same.”

 

 

 

“Huh?  What do you mean? Are you thinking about calling Brian on his cell?”

 

 

 

“Yeah, why not?”

 

 

 

“But… umm… if he still don’t have use of his extremities, he won’t be able to answer.”

 

 

 

“No but whomever is with him would be able to answer for him though.”

 

 

 

“And then…”

 

 

 

“I just don’t know, grandma.  I’m just going to make the call and see where it takes me from there.”

 

 

 

“Okay, but it makes my heart beat rapidly just thinking about it.”

 

 

 

“Your heart!  Mine’s pounding a million beats per second and every bone in my body’s rattling right now.  So grandma, I’m going to let you go now and I’m going to make that call.”

 

 

 

“Good luck, Justin, and call me back immediately afterwards.”

 

 

 

Justin then ended the call with his grandmother and made the call to Brian’s cell.

 

 

 

“Hello?”  A woman’s voice answered.

 

 

 

*****

 

 

 

            “Nurse!”  Brian yelled and called the nurturer on duty to come to him.

 

 

 

“Yes,” she walked into the room.  

 

 

 

“I need your assistance placing a phone call.”

 

 

 

“Sure.”   She then set up for Brian and then asked him the number to dial.  She dialed it and held the phone to his ear.

 

 

 

“Hello?  Who this?”  A very soft and sweet voice answered on the other end, but Brian didn’t say anything back.  He just listened.  “Who’s this?  Is somebody there?  Huh?  Is somebody there?  Talk to me?  Mommy-y-yy!  Someone called my cell phone but they won’t talk!”

 

 

 

“Then just hang up on whomever it is, Gus dear!”  Brian heard Lindsay’s voice shout in the background.

 

 

 

“Okay, mommy!”  Gus then spoke back into the phone, “Bye, bye.”  Brian’s son then disconnected the call.

 

 

 

“You can take the phone away now, nurse,” Brian regrettably commanded.

 

 

 

“Wasn’t able to get through?”  The nurse assumed because she never heard Brian speak a word into the phone.  “I can try again for you later?”  She offered.

 

 

 

“No, that won’t be necessary,” Brian told her.

 

 

 

“Okay, you rest now.”

 

 

 

“Really?”  Brian sardonically remarked.  “Whatever else the fuck can I do but rest!”

 

 

 

The nurse then left the room and Brian’s cousin Rosalind entered.

 

 

 

“Hey there, sweetheart.  Did you get it?”  Brian asked her.

 

 

 

“Yep!”  Rosalind announced so proudly.  “I got the prepaid disposable wireless phone you asked for, and with just one minute.  The lady downstairs in the gift shop laughed at me when I said I only wanted the one minute put on the phone.  She then asked me if I was a breather.  But when I asked her what she meant by that, she wouldn’t answer me.  What did she mean, Brian?”

 

 

 

“Never mind. Ask me again when you’re fourteen and I tell you all about it then.”

 

 

 

“Fourteen?  Well, that’s an improvement at least.  For once, you’re not telling me to wait until I’m eighteen like you usually do when I ask you a question,” Rosalind pouted.  “Do you want me to help you make the call now?”  Brian started to say yes but then he saw Harold approaching. 

 

 

 

“Not now but later,” Brian then whispered to his cousin.  “But umm, Roz… don’t mention anything about the phone to your father - okay?”

 

 

 

“Okay, sure,” Rosalind matter-of-factly shrugged but yet she was curious as to why not.

 

 

 

“Hi everyone,” Harold greeted Brian and Rosalind.

 

 

 

“Hey, what’s up?” Brian asked.

 

 

 

“I’ll tell you what’s up!  You both will be happy to learn that we are out of this hospital in the next day or two.”

 

 

 

“Oh?”  Rosalind cheered, but Brian just looked rather bewildered (concerned about where the hell they were going to!)

 

 

 

*****

 

 

 

            “Who’s this?”  Justin asked the woman who answered his husband’s cell phone.

 

 

 

“Samantha Davis - Pittsburgh Mercy Hospital’s Lost and Found Department; and I suppose you’re calling this number to FINALLY locate and claim your phone?  Am I correct?”

 

 

 

“You most certainly am!  That’s my phone all right!”  Justin instantaneously claimed Brian’s phone as his own.

 

 

 

“So, what’s your name and when do you plan to come pick it up; and there’s other things here that belong to the owner of the phone too - like a briefcase, sunglasses, and other things that you left behind, you can claim those things as well?  So, what time are you coming by?”  She echoed.

 

 

 

“Well, actually I’m out of town right now and will be for quite a while, so is it okay for me to send someone else in my place?”

 

 

 

“Sure no problem, just as long as you realize YOU ARE and NOT the hospital is responsible for these items once I give it to the person you send to collect it.”

 

 

 

“I take sole responsibility, Ms. Davis.”

 

 

 

“Good.  Whom are you sending to pick this stuff up?”

 

 

 

“My grandmother,” Justin told her and then he gave the lady his grandmother’s full name, got off the phone with the woman and then called Grandma-Taylor back.

 

 

 

“Hi, Justin dear.  Did you call Brian’s phone?  What happened?”

 

 

 

“Yeah I called it, grandma, but get this:  The phone’s not with Brian.  It’s still at Pittsburgh Mercy.  They’re holding it and some of Brian’s other things at the Lost and Found, and…”

 

 

 

“Would you like me to go pick it up?”

 

 

 

“Please, grandma?  You’re be a peach if you would do me that valuable favor.”

 

 

 

“Certainly, Justin - my pleasure.  You know, I’m always looking for an excuse to get out of the house.”

 

 

 

“Well then grandma, I guess that means after you picked the phone up, you won’t mind one bit taking the time to go down to the UPS ™ office and mail it to me?”

 

 

 

“Sure, I’m mail it to you, dear.  No problem.”

 

 

 

Justin then gave his grandmother the Chanders’ mailing address, he then hung up and his phone rang immediately after, but he didn’t recognize the phone number of the caller. 

 

 

 

*****

 

 

 

            “What do you mean we are leaving the hospital and where to?”  Brian asked Harold.

 

 

 

“Umm, Brian, I have to take a pee.  I’ll tell Roxie and you all about it when I get back.”

 

 

 

“Yeah, go ahead.”  Brian was immensely relieved because he could then make his one-minute phone call.

 

 

 

*****

 

 

 

“Hello?  Who’s this?”  Justin consistently asked trying to urge the person on the other end of the call to speak; however, no one spoke to him. “Who is this?  I can hear you breathing?  So, I know someone’s there?  Who is it?”

 

 

 

“What’s happening?”  Justin then heard a little girl’s voice asked in the background.  “Did you get through to the caller, Brian?”

 

 

 

“Brian!”  Justin then shouted.  “Is that you, Brian?”

 

 

 

“Take it away,” Justin then overheard Brian’s voice whisper to someone.

 

 

 

“Brian, no!  Talk to me!  Stay on the phone and talk to me, please!”

 

 

 

Rosalind immediately move the phone away from Brian’s ear and turned it off.

 

 

 

“Toss it into the trash.  I’m finish with it,” Brian then instructed her and she did as told.  “But, I should have forewarned you to keep your little trap closed while I’m on the phone,” he scoffed the little girl.

 

 

 

“Why are you so mad at me?”  Rosalind had no idea what just went down that moment.  Her father then returned from the toilet.