Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

Brian confronts Jared regarding his lies; later, he experiences a much more pleasant encounter with a different Taylor brother.  Will Justin give in completely to his feelings?

 

 

Craig stood back from the car and nodded in satisfaction.  "Shouldn't be too hard to repaint this one," he said approvingly, impressed as always with his son's intuition when it came to determining which cars to work on.  His son seemed to have an innate ability to determine which vehicles were the best candidates for restoration.  Even though the finished product didn't always bring in the high profit margin that he would like, he still enjoyed working alongside his son to get them road ready. 

 

Jared nodded as he closed the driver's side door, his eyes lit up with enthusiasm.  He always got excited whenever they brought home a new vehicle to restore.  There was just something about starting out with a shell of some former, classic car and slowly watching as it transformed into a showpiece again.  "This one is going to be so sweet!" he remarked with a smile as he stepped back to stand next to his father's side.  "And did you see the low miles on this one?  That's the original odometer!" he exclaimed.  "I can't wait to get this one fixed up, Dad!"  They had found this latest car through the grapevine in town, having heard about it being stored, forlorn and neglected, inside Thatcher's old barn on the older man's property when they went into town to buy some feed for their animals.  A visit to the farm later that afternoon, along with a little, well-placed schmoozing over the price, and they had found themselves bringing home their next project.

 

"Yeah, this will be a good one, Jared," Craig told him as he put his arm congenially around his son's shoulders and smiled proudly.  A noise near the door made him look over to the opening as he noticed his old friend and their jack-of-all-trades, Vic, standing in the doorway.  "Hey, Vic," he greeted the other man with a polite nod of his head in acknowledgment.  "About ready to lock up for the night?"  Vic lived in an older but neatly kept mobile home situated in a corner of the farm; it was part of his payment for helping to keep the farm running and assisting in taking care of the horses. 

 

Wiping some dirt from the palms of his calloused hands on his jeans, he nodded.  "Yeah.  I'm getting ready to make my sweep around the buildings and then I'm heading home.  You want me to lock up here, too?"

 

"Dad, I'd like to work on the car a little longer," Jared interrupted them, sensing his father was about to pack it in. They had just gotten started with the inspection of the car to determine what needed to be worked on first; he didn't want to stop now.

 

Craig paused for a moment before nodding.  "I guess that'd be okay. "We'll take care of this one, Vic; you can go ahead and lock up all the others." 

 

Vic nodded back with a small wave of his hand.  "Well, I'll say good night, then.  Have a good evening." 

 

"You, too.  Good night, Vic."  Craig replied.  He never was very effusive, even around his old friend, but Vic was used to it; the man never HAD been on the demonstrative side, even when he was courting Jennifer a long time ago.  It was a wonder they had ever hooked up together in his opinion, but for some reason Craig's wife seemed to have been smitten with him from the beginning.  Now, he suspected she stayed with him more out of a sense of loyalty and family than anything else.  As he left, he could still hear his old friend and Jared talking and out of curiosity, he paused just outside the door to listen. 

 

"I'm heading back to the house," he heard Craig advise.  "Don't stay out here TOO late; I still need for you to cover for your brother's chores the rest of the week until after the next race."

 

Vic could actually hear Jared huff in irritation.  "When am I supposed to have time to work on this?" he whined.  "Why can't Vic take over for him?"

 

As he stood there silently nearby, it was all Vic could do not to roll his eyes and walk back into the storage barn to give the selfish, older boy a piece of his mind.  Did he think he sat on his ass all day long while he was playing with his latest toy?  And in his opinion, Justin was overworked and overstretched as it was.  The poor kid hardly had time to think, let alone do anything enjoyable, between finishing his daily chores and practicing for the next harness race, and despite that, he never complained about what was expected of him.  He seethed inside at the obvious disparity between Jared and Justin; when was Craig going to realize how unfair that was? 

 

To his relief, Craig for once held his ground.  "Jared, you know how much Justin needs to devote to the race coming up!  That's our main livelihood right now; we need the money his winnings bring in.  And Vic has his hands full with making sure all the fields are ready for the corn and soybean crops.  That's a full-time job right now, you know that."  There was a pause before Craig added in a more soothing tone, "You'll just have to limit how much time you can spend on the car for now, that's all.  It's just temporary until after the race, and then Justin can go back to doing his own chores again."

 

Vic shook his head; why was Craig always kowtowing down to this lazy, self-centered boy?  The shame of it, too, was that Jared was actually talented at working on cars; if he would only devote as much attention to helping out on the farm as he did with restoring cars, perhaps he could eventually find a job that paid him to do what he loved.  What he seemed to fail to understand, however, was that Justin's skill and success at handling Headstrong was the main reason why he HAD time to goof off with all those cars in the first place, and the boy seemed exceedingly ungrateful about it.  Craig was right; if Justin wasn't doing so well, they would ALL be suffering right now.

 

As he turned to walk toward the stables to secure it, he idly wondered what was going to happen a year from this August when Justin went off to college in Nashville to pursue his own dream of combining his art with equestrian therapy.  Surely Craig wouldn't begrudge him that chance somehow?  And surely Jennifer wouldn't allow him to revoke it?  She might have been brought up in an environment where the wife supported her husband's decisions in the family, but even SHE wouldn't allow him to do that to Justin...Would she?  He pursed his lips tightly together.  You better not screw up that boy's chance, Craig Taylor, or you will hear from ME.  Sighing and realizing there was nothing he could do about the situation except continue to encourage and support his young friend as much as possible, he began his rounds to lock up for the night.

 


 

Showered and changed into his own clothes at last, Justin felt a little more refreshed and a little less agitated than before as he walked downstairs to retrieve his sandwich.  It was almost 9:00 now with darkness fast approaching and his loudly growling stomach was informing him of how long it had been since he had last eaten. 

 

His mother was sitting in one of their flowery, overstuffed chairs in the living room as he arrived at the bottom of the steps, working on a crochet project for the local hospital.  She glanced up and smiled at her son.  "There you are.  I was getting worried before.  Did you have a good swim, Honey?"

 

He smiled back at her.  If you only knew... "Yeah, it was fine.  You were right - the water temperature was just perfect."  Of course, the water seemed to be boiling once Brian had joined him in the lake, but he didn't dare tell HER that.  He figured he was going to have enough of a problem figuring out what to do with Brian's clothing, much less explaining how he happened to come into possession of them in the first place.  "I just came down to get my sandwich," he told her.

 

She nodded.  "It's on top of the stove, wrapped in plastic wrap.  And I saved you a piece of lemon meringue pie from dinner last night."

 

He grinned.  "You're the best, Mom," he told her sincerely as she smiled lovingly at him.  He turned to walk down the short hallway leading into the kitchen as the back screen door squeaked and then banged as it closed.  He met his father coming in just as he got near the stove.  "Hi, Dad."

 

Craig eyed his younger son studiously.  He knew Justin had missed dinner earlier to go swimming from what Jennifer had told him.  "Justin," he greeted him. "You went swimming down at the lake?"

 

Justin nodded as he turned to pick up the roast beef sandwich his mother had wrapped up for him and the piece of pie and dessert fork she had left on a small paper plate.  "Yeah...It was so hot today that Mom suggested I go cool off for a while."  He walked over and sat down at the kitchen table as Craig wandered over to the sink to fetch a glass in the top cupboard and pour himself some tap water.  "The water was just perfect, even though it's only June."  As always, Justin felt somewhat awkward engaging in simple conversation with his father.  Half the time he felt like he wasn't really listening to him at all and it always felt strained somehow. 

 

Craig nodded before he downed a gulp of his water.  Fortunately for Justin, he didn't press him any further on his previous activity or Justin feared his face would have turned a deep shade of red and instantly given him away that something had happened other than him going for a leisurely swim.  "Where's your mom?"

 

Justin took a bite of his sandwich and swallowed before he told him, "She's in the living room, working on her blanket for the hospital."  His mother was part of an auxiliary women's group who crocheted baby blankets for newborn babies of mothers who were poor and could not afford one.  

 

Craig nodded as he polished off his glass of water and set the glass down in the porcelain sink.  "By the way, I told your brother he's supposed to do your chores the rest of the week until after the race is over."

 

Justin's eyes widened.  He really wasn't too surprised by that, though; he couldn't help thinking it wasn't because he was worried about him being overworked.  He knew it was more because right now he was the ironic breadwinner of the family; him and Headstrong, that is.  Just once he wished he could believe that his father was truly concerned about his welfare for a change rather than how he was helping to keep their farm afloat.  "Thanks," he finally replied half-heartedly, trying to keep the sadness out of his voice.  

 

"You'll need to really concentrate hard in the next few days before the race," Craig advised him as he stood over the sink and washed his hands, drying them on a nearby cotton towel.  "You need to work him hard, Justin.  He can be complacent if you let him."

 

Justin let out a breath and said, "Yes, Sir," but inside he was bristling.  Did his father not think he knew how to treat their best-winning horse by now?  It was a sure bet that both he and Vic knew a hell of a lot more about preparing Headstrong for his races than HE ever would.  Apart from purchasing the straw and feed for the horses, his father really had nothing to do with them most of the time.  "Is Jared still out working on his car?" he asked, trying hard to keep the hurt out of his voice. 

 

"Yeah, I told him he could stay out a little longer," was the predictable reply.   Of course - Jared could pretty much do whatever he wanted.  "You'd best get up to bed as soon as you're done eating, Son; tomorrow will be here before you know it."  Justin silently nodded as his father turned to go.

 

As Craig left the kitchen and headed toward the living room, Justin could hear him talking to his mother as he silently seethed inside. His eyes glistened as he thought, just once, Dad, I wish you could have the same pride in your voice for me that you do for Jared.  Sighing sadly, he carried his plate over to the sink and rinsed it off before setting it next to his father's glass and throwing the plastic wrap in the garbage can nearby. 

 


Jared softly hummed to himself as the radio played one of his favorite songs; he smiled as he thought about how wicked the Chevy would look once he got done with it.  This car could quite possibly wind up being the sweetest-looking vehicle he had ever restored, and with the powerful engine it had in it, he was going to have a blast driving around in it.  Now all he needed was the right decoration, and he had just the right one in mind.  If only he hadn't had to do his brother's chores today, he could have been spending time much more pleasantly by now.  In fact, maybe he could just find a way to wander over to the Walker farm after a while and see if he could seek Brian out.  There was nothing like a few smokes on a joint and some beer to mellow anyone, and he couldn't wait to continue his pursuit of the other boy.  He knew if he just gave it time, he could wear Brian down.  No one eventually said no to him, no matter how hot he looked. 

 

The look on his brother's face when he had told him what had happened between them had been priceless.  Justin was just too gullible for his own good.  He loved his kid brother, but he also loved teasing him and leading him on.  He felt like he was actually doing him a favor; Justin was just way too trusting.  He needed to develop a tougher skin if he was ever going to survive in this world.  Eventually, he thought Justin would understand that and actually thank him for it. 

 

"Jared."

 

As if someone had been reading his mind, Jared's heart began to race at the deep, sultry sound of his name being uttered.  Had he just imagined it?  It had sounded so real, though.  As he stood up from the side of the car to look over toward the doorway, he realized he hadn't been dreaming it up as he saw the object of his fantasies standing there, larger than life.  Brian was wearing a black pair of slim-fitting jeans over black boots; a sleeveless, round-necked, black shirt complimented the outfit perfectly.  He had his arms crossed over his chest and feet crossed at the ankles as he rigidly stood there leaning against the door frame, his long, lean body silhouetted in the waning daylight like some mysterious and dangerous Greek god.

 

Jared smiled smugly over at his quarry as he felt the stirrings of desire bubbling up inside of him.  This boy made his body thrum with heady anticipation every time he saw him, especially now that he had had the pleasure of seeing ALL of him.  He knew the other boy wouldn't be able to resist him; he just didn't think their reunion would happen quite this fortuitously.  "Brian," he murmured sexily as he slowly swaggered over toward his prey.  "Well, if this isn't a very pleasant surprise," he replied as his eyes raked appreciatively over him.  He pulled out the bag of weed he had stashed in his jeans pocket and held it up to him.  "Ready to get this party started in style?"  In the soft glow from the kerosene lamp nearby, he thought Brian looked particularly striking in his all-black ensemble; almost as good as he was soon going to look completely naked with his ass surrounding his cock.  "I knew you couldn't stay away from me," he told him as he flashed him a knowing, lazy sort of smile.  Brian remained oddly silent, however, and didn't move from his place in the doorway. 

 

Frowning slightly at the apparent indifferent treatment, Jared decided it was time to reinforce who was the more dominant of the two.  Out here, HE was king and always would be; he was glad Brian finally understood that.  Walking closer until he was within inches of the other boy, he glanced up into the face of his target; Brian's eyes were hooded and dark, indecipherable.  Undoubtedly, however, that was his way of masking his desire for him.  He noticed that his lips, which he knew from experience were highly talented and pliable, were pursed tightly together now into a thin line.  Well, he would just have to ‘pry' them open again with his tongue.  Leering confidently at him, he reached toward Brian's shirt with the intent of pulling it off the other boy completely when suddenly Brian reached for his wrist in a lightning-fast move and encircled it painfully with his long-fingered hand.

 

Brian's face darkened into repressed fury as he told Jared with deadly calm, "I know what you told Justin."

 

Jared frowned as he winced at the sharpness in his wrist.  "What the fuck are you talking about, Brian?"  He struggled against Brian's vise-like hold on his wrist as his mind whirled in confusion.  "You're hurting my arm - let me go." 

 

"I know you lied," Brian told him; the more he thought about it, the angrier he got and the more tightly he squeezed the other boy's wrist.  "I know you fucking LIED about what we did last night, Jared!"  His voice began to get louder as he seethed inside.  How DARE this guy concoct a story and brag about what he didn't do?  About what he would NEVER do?

 

Jared was forced to retreat further into the barn as Brian placed his other hand, palm down, on his chest and began to shove him none too gently backwards toward his car as he continued to hold onto him.  "Since when did you see Justin?" he managed to counter desperately, his voice getting louder and his eyes widening at the look of fury on the other boy's face.  "Besides, you don't know Justin; you can't believe a word he says anyway." 

 


 

Same Time - Justin's Bedroom Upstairs

 

Justin was lying in bed on his back, wearing only a pair of boxers, the still-muggy night quickly plunging the area into darkness.  His parents had retired for bed about an hour ago as they normally did; out here on the farm, they rose quite early and went to bed early by most people's standards.  Justin wasn't sleeping, however, even though he knew he would need to get up before dawn to start preparing to work out with Headstrong for the upcoming race.  He had done a small, quick load of wash earlier that evening after he had eaten and had just retrieved Brian's clothes from the dryer a few minutes ago which were now folded neatly and lying on top of his desk nearby. He really did need rest desperately, especially after working with Headstrong all day out in the hot sun; but as he lay there looking up at the ceiling, his thoughts were too occupied by his and Brian's encounter earlier to allow his eyes to close and his body to drift off into any sort of slumber.

 

Not for the first time he questioned whether he had handled the situation properly; God knows he had wanted Brian badly - who wouldn't?  And Brian had been more than clear as to what exactly he had in mind for him, for them.  Why hadn't he just accepted it for what it was and not chosen to overanalyze it?  If nothing else, he had no doubt that this boy would be a magnificent lover.  What better person, then, to teach him the basics?  It's because you're a scared little faggot, he chided himself.  You weren't refusing him on principle; you were afraid of the unknown, of what he might do, of winding up looking ridiculous when you tried to imitate his moves and failed miserably. 

 

"No," he vowed out loud.  "No, I wasn't," he reassured himself.  Yes, he admitted it; he was afraid of what he didn't know.  But that didn't mean even if he had been more experienced that he still wouldn't have turned Brian down.  He was not going to be ‘second best' just because Brian didn't get what he wanted out of his brother.  Even HE had more pride than that.

 

His conscious mind slowly began to register the sound of agitated, loud voices filtering in through his open bedroom window overlooking the backyard as he frowned.  It sounded like it was coming from the storage barn nearby, and the one voice sounded like his brother's.  Was Jared still outside working on that damn car, even though their father had indicated he could only stay out for a ‘little longer?'  He glanced over at his illuminated horse clock with the face in its belly and noticed that was two HOURS ago.  He fumed; Jared apparently could do whatever the fuck he wanted to, though.  But if the one voice belonged to Jared, who did the other voice belong to?  He had seen with his own eyes his mother and father going off to bed, so he knew it couldn't be his father, unless he had gotten up afterward.  He supposed that was possible; maybe their father was telling Jared that it was time to come in and he didn't like that.  That would be quite plausible; when Jared didn't get his way, he tended to become both angry and petulant, even childish in reaction.  But the more he listened further, the more he didn't really think the other person talking was his father.

 

Extremely curious now, he rose from his bed and walked over to the window, placing his elbows on the wooden windowsill and leaning down as he strained to listen to the conversation.  He couldn't hear all of it, just bits and pieces as the voices got increasingly louder, but there was no mistaking the angry tone in one of the voices. 

 


 

Jared gasped as Brian shoved him up against the side of his car.  Any other time he would have found this sort of ‘rough play' hot, but he knew by the look on Brian's face that it wasn't red with desire for him; more like hatred and contempt. 

 

"You told Justin that I bottomed for you, didn't you?"  The concept was so distasteful and repugnant to him that Brian had trouble even formulating the words; it was like some acrid taste had settled in his mouth.   "You lying asshole!  Did you really think you could say that and expect to get away with it?"  He reached to clench Jared's shirt in his right fist as he leaned in closer.  Jared could see the fury in Brian's darkened irises and a vein protruding in his neck as he spat out, "Answer me, damn it!" 

 

Jared held up his hands and tried to act nonchalant, which wasn't easy to do considering that Brian's face was inches away from his.  "Okay, okay," he finally relented as he held his hands up as if in surrender; he tried to project a sort of self-deprecating smile that said I was only having fun with my kid brother, what's the big deal?, but by the angry look on Brian's face, he could tell it wasn't going over very well.  "Maybe I did tell him that.   But it was just a joke, Brian!  Come on, what did you expect me to tell him?  I have a reputation to uphold around here."

 


 

From his perch at the window, Justin's heart began to pound as the voices got louder and angrier, and he recognized the other combative voice as belonging to Brian.  What was going on?  He leaned out the window in an attempt to hear better just as the gentle, warm breeze stilled to a dead calm and the voices became even louder and more harsh.  At last he could clearly make out what his brother and Brian were saying and he instinctively held his breath, afraid to miss a single word.

 


 

Jared could feel Brian's hot breath on his face as he was told, "I don't give a fuck about your reputation, you son of a bitch!  You had no fucking right to lie to him!"

 

Jared furrowed his brow, more curious now than frightened by Brian's fury.  "Big deal!  So I made up a story that I topped you!  What does it matter to you WHAT Justin thinks?  He's just a kid!  And how the hell did you find out, anyway?  That little shit told you, didn't he?"  That was the only explanation.

 

"That doesn't matter, Jared!" Brian snarled back at him.  This asshole didn't DESERVE to know anything.  "What matters is that you've been spreading lies about what happened last night and I want it to stop, do you hear me?"  Brian's face was contorted with rage; he had already been angry enough about the lie Jared had told, but the cavalier attitude he was displaying now that he had been called out on it was making him even angrier by the minute.  "I repeat, do...you...HEAR...me?" 

 

Upset that his untruth had been uncovered, dismayed at the condescending tone of voice Brian was using, and perturbed that Brian seemed to actually care WHAT his little brother thought, Jared used a rush of adrenalin as well as the element of surprise to push himself away from Brian and break free from him.  He walked far enough away to get out of Brian's reach for the moment while he tried to catch his breath and regain some sense of composure.  He wasn't used to being undermined or insulted.

 

"Yeah, Kinney, you don't bottom, I get it!"  Jared yelled back.  He shook his head in disgust as Brian stood facing him, his chest heaving with extreme agitation.  Putting on a brave front, Jared snorted as he glared over at his adversary, trying to sound more confident and calm than he actually felt as he retorted, "Although with your scrawny ass, I can SEE why you wouldn't agree to bottom; who would want it?" 

 

Brian than actually laughed to Jared's surprise as he crossed his arms over his chest and smiled over at him, his back to the storage barn's open doorway now.  "That's a good one, asshole.  Trust me, there've been plenty who have wanted it.  I just don't give it to them." 

 


 

Justin's gulped; My God, was it true?  Did Jared make the whole damn thing up just to sound important and look like he was the bigger man?  He had to smirk at that; as brothers he had seen Jared's cock from time to time, and while it was large enough to ‘get the job done' and then some, he had nothing on Brian's majesty.

 


 

Jared huffed, desperate to remain in their battle but quickly losing ground; he began to grasp at whatever straws he could as he replied, "More like you'd have to pay them, Brian!  And by the way, you weren't that great at giving head, either; I just needed to get off after you wouldn't do what I told you to do."

 

Brian began to advance on his foe; it was one thing to lie about what had happened; it was quite another to out-and-out insult him.  "You fucking piece of lying shit!" he snarled.  "You got the best damn blowjob of your fucking life last night and you damn well know it!"  Brian began to advance on Jared with the intention of shoving his fist in his face this time - he was angrier than he could ever recall being - but he realized if he did, it would definitely backfire on him.  Jared would promptly go running to tell his parents what had happened and would undoubtedly embellish the details, just like he had to Justin, and the only thing THAT would accomplish was having his aunt and uncle send him back to his parents.  His Uncle Will had already threatened him with such if he so much as slightly screwed up, and as much as he hated to admit it, he was actually getting used to living here; while it was still the most archaic, primitive Hicksville of a place he had ever lived in, it sure as hell beat being in a jail cell 24/7, not to mention that after seeing Justin in the lake earlier, it could even get better.  First, though, he had to finish up this mess and make things right with him.

 

Jared huffed.  "That's your opinion!" He began to slowly retreat as Brian continued to come closer until to his dismay and mortification his back bumped up against the thick, wooden wall planks of the barn.  "Go ahead, Big Man!  You want a fucking fight, Kinney, you got it!"

 

"No," he told the other boy as Jared stood there, effectively trapped from going anywhere else. He waggled his finger at him furiously as he declared, "I'm not going to waste my time on you; you're not worth it, Jared!  I'm done with you!  But trust me, if I ever catch you lying about what happened, I don't care if it DOES land me in jail; I'll come in here and whip your ass so hard you won't be able to sit down for a fucking YEAR!  You got it?"  Jared stood there, fuming silently. 

 

Brian huffed in disgust over the other boy's lack of response.  "Are you fucking DEAF now as well as delusional?  I said...you got it?" 

 

His stance, legs apart and arms braced against the wall on either side of Jared's face, as well as the deadly tone of his voice and his flashing darkened eyes told Jared that Brian was not kidding and was not to be toyed with.  Something told him that Kinney had probably gotten into a lot of scuffles in the big city and he didn't relish the idea of finding out that fact firsthand. 

 

"Yeah, Brian, I GOT it!" Jared shouted back, seething. 

 

Brian nodded, his mouth pressed into a tight line as he stood and glared at him in disgust.  "Smart boy," he told him sarcastically.  He glanced down just then to see the baggie of pot peeking out of his adversary's left jeans pocket and, before Jared knew what was happening, he had reached out and deftly snatched it away from him. 

 

"What the fuck do you think you're doing?" Jared growled at him as he unsuccessfully lunged for it.  "Give that back!"

 

Brian smirked.  "Now you farm boys know you shouldn't play around with recreational drugs.  Besides, this is one of the highest-yielding tobacco states in the country.  Go have yourself a smoke instead; you need to support the economy."  He reached into his shirt pocket and helpfully threw his almost-empty pack of cigarettes on the ground near Jared's feet.

 

Turning to go, he walked away a few steps before he turned around, his back silhouetted once more in the open doorway.  "Oh, and one more thing, Jared; unless you want to look like a total fool, I think I'd keep my big, fat, fucking mouth shut around Justin regarding what we discussed tonight.  Unless you WANT him to know what a big liar you are.  Wouldn't want to damage your reputation now, though, would we?"  Laughing, he finally turned and walked out, the baggie of pot swinging back and forth playfully in his hand like a grand prize at the local county fair.

 

"Fuck you, Brian!" Jared shouted back, fuming in defeat.

 

Brian promptly turned his head around to quip, "Only in your dreams, smart ass; only in your dreams."  He could hear what sounded like Jared throwing things around in the storage barn in a temper tantrum a few seconds later, and he couldn't help the triumphant grin that spread across his face.  He paused several feet away from the barn in the shadow of a large maple tree to savor his victory as he watched the light inside the barn be extinguished and Jared stomp over to the barn's thick, wooden doors a few moments later to slam them together and lock them with a padlock.   He could hear the other boy muttering under his breath in disgust as he acted like some petulant child that didn't get his favorite toy for Christmas and he couldn't help wondering what he had seen in the boy in the first place.  Slipping deeper into the shadows away from the moonlight quickly illuminating the darkness, he observed Jared trudge over dejectedly toward the rear of the farmhouse, his head hung low as he walked up the steps and, after a few seconds of fidgeting with the screen door, finally entered the house and slammed the door behind him none too quietly.  Apparently Jared was not only a bad liar, but he was also a sore loser. 

 

Brian grinned as he emerged from the shadows and held up the baggie of pot to examine it more closely under the moonlight.  Jared had been quite accommodating; not only had he gifted him with a nice stock of weed, but he had also supplied him with the wrappers, too.  At least tonight wasn't going to be a total washout, then... Just then he lifted his eyes slightly to look up at the back of the Taylor house and noticed for the first time a slim figure silhouetted in an open window upstairs.  His eyes widened in instant recognition as he realized who it was and his evening suddenly got a lot more interesting.  The figure ducked quickly out of sight as soon as he was detected, but it wasn't fast enough to prevent Brian from knowing it was Justin.  Well, well, well...he thought with a smirk.  Spying on me, Blondie?

 

He smiled in delight over his good fortune.  He needed to return Justin's clothes anyway, didn't he? He thought to himself, No time like the present.  Striding over to pick up Justin's jeans as well as the balled up clump he had fashioned earlier and left near the barn, he approached the back of the house and slipped inside the picket fence though the gate.  Standing underneath the still-open window, he placed the clothing down at his feet as he stooped down to pick up some small pebbles scattered on the ground.  Using his skills honed as a high school baseball pitcher, he reared back and took aim at the open window, grinning in triumph when the first, small, round missile landed squarely in the middle of the top pane of glass and made a distinctive skittering noise as it dropped back onto the ground near his feet. 

 

Throwing one more stone at the same pane of glass for good measure, he cupped his hands over his mouth and in a loud whisper called out Justin's name, but there was no response.   Frowning in disappointment, he waited a few seconds before he called out again, this time a little louder.  "Justin!   I know you're up there!  Come to the window!" 

 

Justin closed his eyes in embarrassment as he pressed his body out of sight into the corner nearest the window; how could he have let himself get caught spying on Brian?  Shit.  Thank God his brother's bedroom down the hall had a window facing out onto the side of the yard instead and he had heard Jared going into the bathroom and turning on the shower a few minutes ago, or no doubt he would have heard Brian calling up to him.  As angry as his brother had sounded, too, if he knew that Brian was doing that, he would probably never hear the end of it.  He wasn't sorry he had listened in on their argument, however, because it had provided him with the self-satisfying information that his brother had made up the entire thing about fucking Brian.  He didn't stop to think about why that suddenly made him feel so happy, however, because he had more crucial problems at the moment to consider as he heard Brian calling his name once more, this time a little louder.  If he didn't do something soon, not only would his brother hear once he got out of the shower, but his parents might, too, even though their bedroom faced out onto the front of the house instead.

 

Shit, what was he going to do?  He bit his lip in indecision, feeling decidedly like a stupid, careless little kid for being caught.  It was obvious Brian had seen him watching him and he could feel his face warming in embarrassment at the thought.  Go away...Please...Go away, he prayed.  He waited with bated breath for another sound, but didn't hear anything except for the multitude of crickets and frogs he always heard around this time of night. 

 

He finally decided to risk a peek as he moved over to the window and leaned down to look into the backyard; his heart raced as he saw Brian staring up at him, framed in the moonlight.  The boy took his breath away; he couldn't deny it.  He was just so fucking gorgeous. But if Brian was thinking he could just take care of his ‘needs' with him instead of Jared, well, he had another thing coming.  Strong...I must be strong, he told himself.  "Go away, Brian!" he finally called down urgently in a loud whisper.  "My parents will hear you!"  He did NOT want to explain why Brian was standing under his window late at night yelling up at him, especially to his father. 

 

He huffed indignantly as Brian merely smirked up at him in response and stayed where he was.  What part of ‘go away' did this guy not understand?  "What is WRONG with you?" Justin hissed down at him, his hands curled tightly over the marble window sill.  "I said GO AWAY!"  He made a shooing motion with his hand as if Brian were a large, sexy fly, but the fucker remained firmly in place as if he were enjoying his discomfort.

 

Brian grinned.   "I'll leave," he replied as Justin hopes rose; well, part of him was relieved while, if he were truthful, part of him was disappointed, too, that Brian hadn't put up more of a fight than that.  His heart skipped a beat, however, as Brian clarified, "I'll leave after you come down and talk to me."

 

Brian stared up at the younger Taylor brother framed in the window and to his amazement all sorts of lesbionic thought began to rise to the surface.   He couldn't prevent it, though; the moonlight was shining down on Justin's blond hair and the pale skin of his bare chest from up above, right at the perfect angle, and it made him seem to glow like some kind of angel.  God, he is SO beautiful, came unbidden to his mind as he stared up at the indignant and righteous-looking face peering down at him.  He could tell that Justin was perturbed, but at the moment he didn't care.  He was not leaving until he made sure this boy knew what did - or didn't - happen last night. 

 

"Brian, it's late.  We can talk tomorrow," Justin tried frantically to reason with him.  The other boy's voice was getting louder and louder now.  "Just go away and come back then."   He berated himself, feeling suddenly like some weird version of the Wizard of Oz, before he turned and scurried back into the shadows as he returned to the obscurity of his bed.  Perhaps if he moved out of sight and stayed there immobile, not saying anything further and just ignoring him, Brian would finally get the hint and leave for now.

 

Brian watched, mouth agape in shock, as Justin promptly turned around and disappeared from view, yanking the gauzy, light brown curtains closed behind him in apparent dismissal.   Fortunately, however, Justin didn't close the actual window itself, probably opting instead to take advantage of the light breeze blowing to help combat the still, muggy, humid air.  Undoubtedly it must get rather hot upstairs in that old farmhouse, he mused, as he watched the curtains slowly undulating in the window.  What a shame... He snickered.  His mouth broke out into a broad smile as another idea came to mind.  If Mohammed won't come to the mountain, then the mountain will just have to come to Mohammed...

 

Justin sat down on the side of the bed, listening intently for any more sounds from below.  Once more the crickets and frogs dominated the night; other than an occasional moo from someone's cow off in the distance, he couldn't hear anything else.  Had Brian finally taken the hint and gone back to his aunt and uncle's at last?  Sighing in relief at the relative silence, he pulled back the covers and lay down, his thoughts awhirl with so many emotions:  excitement, nervousness, anxiety, happiness even over the fact that his brother had lied about what had happened between him and Brian, but also, if he were honest with himself, disappointment that Brian had given up so easily.  He let out a deep breath between his lips as his head hit the pillow and he closed his eyes, knowing that did not mean sleep would be forthcoming; in fact, he had a good idea that sleep would be a rare commodity the rest of the night.

 

His heartbeat had just gotten back to a more respectable cadence when all of a sudden he heard a thump in the room and his eyes flew open.  What was that? he wondered as he looked around the room, half expecting to see Brian somehow magically appearing beside him.  But he was alone, and there was no further sound.  He frowned.  What had happened?  Had he been half asleep and just imagined that noise?   He held his breath to make sure, hearing nothing but the same old sounds he normally heard.  Deciding he must have just imagined it, he began to close his eyes again just before he heard a second thump and was smacked on the side of the leg by something hard. 

 

"Wha...?"  He instantly sat up in bed, looking through the dimness at an object lying near his feet.  His mouth hung open as he recognized what it was:  it was one of his sneakers that he had been wearing at the lake when Brian had stolen all his clothes.  He huffed in irritated comprehension, looking around until he located his other shoe near the door where it had landed after Brian had thrown it; that would explain the other thump he had heard.  He quickly rose from the bed and rushed over to the window to fling the curtains aside, expecting to see Brian down below, but to his great surprise - and disenchantment - there was no sign of him.  He squinted his eyes, noticing what appeared to be a large clump of some kind lying on the ground near the back gate and he shook his head in confusion.  What in the hell was that?  Could this night get any weirder?

 

Biting his lip momentarily in indecision, he finally hurried to shrug into a pair of loose-fitting pajama bottoms that he dragged out of his top dresser drawer before quietly opening the door of his bedroom, making sure that Jared was still in the bathroom taking his shower.  Relieved to still hear the water running, he closed his door just to be on the safe side from prying eyes before quietly tiptoeing barefoot down the short, wooden hallway toward the stairs. 

 

A couple minutes later, he arrived at the kitchen and crept over to the back exterior door, his heart pounding as he turned the glass knob to open it.  Wincing when the outside screen door squeaked when he pushed it open a few seconds later, he walked out onto the back porch and peered over at the indecipherable wad still lying near the back gate, motionless and silent.  Walking down the steps, he slowly began to realize as he got closer that the formless ‘lump' he had noticed from his upstairs bedroom was the rest of his clothing that Brian had hijacked last night.  Muttering to himself about the other boy's lack of courtesy, he picked up the clothing and, with one last glance around the yard to make sure Brian really had left, he began to return to the porch.  He had just climbed the steps and arrived near the back door to open it when a voice suddenly sounded out of the darkness from several feet away and made him jump a couple of feet off the ground in reaction.

 

"I see you found your clothes," the amused but confident voice rumbled from his right.  "By the way, your shoes were the wrong size."

 

Despite his aggravation over the other boy's cockiness, Justin thought his heart would explode with excitement at the unexpected, sultry sound of Brian's voice.  There was something almost dangerous about this other boy that sent a thrill running through him.  He tried hard to calm himself before he whirled around to retort, "Fuck, Brian!  You just scared the shit out of me!"

 

Brian smirked from his place at the side of the porch, his feet lightly scraping the weathered, slightly scuffed, white, wooden floor as he swung back and forth in the porch swing.  "You mean again?" he teased.   There was something amazing, almost magical, about throwing this boy off balance.

 

Justin had to bite back a smile in response to that statement, despite the wild thumping in his chest and the annoyance he felt.  "You do seem to have a talent for that," he admitted grudgingly as Brian slowly continued to push himself back and forth in the swing with his feet as he studied him silently, the motion emitting a soft, squeaking sound from the slightly rusty chains holding it up.  Justin couldn't help noticing that Brian had his legs spread farther apart than necessary on the floor while he moved back and forth.  For once he was glad his face was masked in the shadows of the porch, because it hid what he knew had to be a red tint to his cheeks as he lifted his gaze to see Brian's eyes shining back at him knowingly.   He knew he wasn't fooling this boy for a second; there was no hiding his desire for him.  He couldn't help it; Brian was just so incredible looking.

 

"Come over here," His fantasy softly urged him as he scooted over to the far left side of the swing in invitation. 

 

Justin clutched his clothes to his chest as a sort of protective armor as he replied stiffly, "I can see you just fine from over here.  I thought I told you to go home."

 

"I don't listen well to authorities; I thought you already knew that."

 

Justin snorted.  "I'm not an ‘authority,' Brian."  He licked his lips nervously, feeling inordinately uncomfortable even from several feet away.  He figured as long as Brian was in the same county it would be too close for HIS own good.   He sighed.  "I have to get some sleep so I'll be ready to work out with Headstrong tomorrow."

 

Brian eyed him intently, drinking in the other boy's proximity as he teased, "Headstrong?  Is that your boyfriend's name, Hot Stuff?"  Even though he was kidding, he found the idea of Justin having a boyfriend unexpectedly disturbing and not preposterous at all; he silently decided that any guy who didn't show any interest in this boy had to be out of his fucking mind.

 

Justin knew Brian was making fun of him, but he couldn't help flushing at the hot stuff moniker anyway as he snorted in response.  "No, you asshole!" he scolded him softly, taking care not to raise his voice so he wouldn't be overheard.  He wished now that he had thought to close his bedroom window upstairs, but at least he had closed the door to his room; hopefully that would prevent anyone from noticing that he was gone or overhearing them.  "He's our horse, you idiot."

 

Brian nodded with a grin.  "Oh," he replied, his tongue lodged in his cheek.  "I would think if anyone would be called headstrong, it would have to be you."

 

Justin rolled his eyes in annoyance as he deflected the conversation back to the matter at hand.  "Brian, I told you to leave earlier.  Why are you still here?  As I explained, I have to get some sleep tonight or I'll be worth shit tomorrow when I need to be alert."  For a horse, Headstrong was quite perceptive; it was as if he could sense when Justin was off his game, and if he thought for one moment that Justin wasn't putting his entire attention into their workout then he wouldn't, either.  He had seen it happen before, and neither one of them couldn't afford not to be at a hundred percent tomorrow; it was too close to race time now. 

 

"And I explained that earlier, too," Brian answered him simply.  "I needed to talk to you."

 

Justin stood with his legs planted apart in defiance as he answered curtly, "So go ahead and talk so I can get some sleep; I'm not stopping you."

 

Brian sighed in disappointment; this wasn't what he had in mind.  Apparently he would have to try another tactic.   "Okay," he said, his voice getting louder, "But I'll have to speak up if you're going to stay way over there."

 

Justin's eyes became big as saucers at the loud volume of Brian's voice; his adrenaline shot up in fear as he answered in a stage whisper, "Will you keep it the fuck down?  I don't want my parents or Jared to hear us."

 

"Afraid they'll hear something titillating?" Brian asked in the same loud voice as Justin appeared worried.  His plan was working just as he hoped; it wouldn't be long now at all.  "Then come over here," he insisted a little softer this time, noticing Justin staring at him warily.

 

But Justin knew he had no choice; he knew Brian was up to something, but it was as if he couldn't stop it.  "Fucker," he muttered as began to walk closer toward the swing.

 

Brian smirked.  "A pitchfork might be more effective," he advised him.

 

Justin frowned as he drew up short.  "What are you talking about?"

 

Brian nodded his head in reference to the wad of clothing Justin was still carrying like a security blanket.  "You can drop your weapon; I'm unarmed."  He raised his hands in supplication as if he were surrendering as he smiled back at him in amusement. 

 

Justin gave him a dubious look as he stood there frozen to the spot, deciding there were various interpretations of the word ‘armed.'  Just by virtue of Brian looking the way he did, and the husky sound of his voice, he decided that Brian was far from helpless or harmless.   Nevertheless, like some moth drawn to the light he dropped the clothing onto the floor with a soft plop and hesitantly advanced toward the other boy with no other protection now than his dignity and his pride.

 

Brian flashed him a lazy smile, feeling triumphant that he had succeeded at least in getting Justin to come out onto the porch with him.  "Sit down," he urged him softly as he patted the seat beside him.  "I won't bite; unless you want me to."  He noticed Justin's eyes widening as they gleamed in the moonlight, finding himself entranced by how shiny they looked.  Why did the damn swing have to be so wide, he couldn't help thinking as he watched Justin gingerly sit down on the opposite side of the swing, as far away from him as possible.  He was so damned skittish around him, like some fragile butterfly.  It was a far cry from the more impertinent boy he had met down at the lake.  He figured he couldn't really blame him, though, after how aggressive he had been toward him earlier.  Well, his reluctance could be remedied pretty readily. 

 

As soon as Justin sat down, he promptly scooted over to the other side of the swing until their thighs were touching; he tried hard to focus on his companion's face that currently had a deer-in-the-headlights sort of look, but it was hard not to concentrate instead on the fact that Justin had on a relatively thin pair of pajama bottoms that did nothing to hide the other boy's desire for him - very HARD, indeed, because he was feeling much the same.   The fact that Justin wasn't wearing any shirt, either, wasn't helping him to calm his racing pulse or his rapidly-beating heart.  In fact, it was having just the opposite effect.  He couldn't stand it all of a sudden - he had to touch some of that smooth-looking, vibrant skin before he went out of his mind. 

 

Justin eyes grew large as he watched Brian smile and slide his arm around his shoulders to pull him even impossibly closer.  At the first touch of his hand on his skin, he felt like he was on fire.  Brian's fingers were so warm, almost like they were searing into him, and his leg touching his made him swallow hard as he attempted to not notice how his proximity made him feel.  He bit his lip and turned his head away, taking comfort in the light breeze blowing on his face as he tried to calm his skittering heartbeat.  His lungs began to inhale and exhale rapidly, an involuntary response to what Brian's presence was doing to him.  Was it always like this with someone you were this drawn to?  It was hard to say, because he had never been as attracted to someone as he was to this boy, so he had nothing to compare it with.  He couldn't imagine feeling any more alive than he did at that moment, though, and it scared him to death while at the same time excited him to heights he didn't even know were imaginable. 

 

"Brian," he whispered the other boy's name as he turned to find his face inches from the other boy's.  "What... What are you doing?" he asked as Brian's face grew closer and closer.  He knew what was about to happen, and his eyes widened as they stared into the hazel ones boring into his.  Just before Brian could kiss him, though, he managed somehow to press his palm against the flat, hard chest and put enough distance between them to sputter out, "I... I thought you said you needed to talk to me." 

 

Brian whispered, "I do my best talking when my lips aren't speaking." 

 

Justin flushed at the insinuation, knowing full well what Brian was referring to.  How did he get himself into this situation?  And more importantly, how does he extricate himself from it?  Perhaps the question actually was, did he want to?  Before he could figure that out, his eyes glanced downward, just in time for his other hand to capture Brian's wrist before he reached a certain prominent, hard target.  "Brian," he breathed out, his lungs craving air.  He could feel his cock becoming unbearably hard at the mere thought of those long-fingered hands giving it a squeeze, but he knew once they did there would be no going back.  He held onto the other boy's wrist for dear life as he leaned back in the swing as far as he could.  "Brian, you said we would talk... As in speaking." 

 

Brian sighed in temporary defeat; why was that so important to this boy?  All he wanted to do right now was kiss those impertinent lips senseless and fuck the boy into oblivion.  He had been feeling horny ever since he had first seen Justin in that window, and now to see him up close and oh-so-personal made it even more imperative.  Apparently, though, that wasn't going to happen until they ‘talked' things out the old-fashioned way.

 

To Justin's relief, Brian finally stopped advancing as he sat up straighter in the swing and peered over at his companion to say, "Okay, Justin.  What do you want to know?"  Justin loosened his hold on Brian's wrist, just enough for Brian to take advantage of it and promptly grasp his hand in his.  He didn't normally resort to such trivial, cutesy sorts of PDAs, but for some reason it felt right with him and hopefully helped to reassure him that he really was interested in what Justin had to say.  He cocked his left eyebrow expectantly as he stared into the deep blue eyes.

 

Justin inhaled a deep breath and let it out, still not feeling particularly safe with Brian pressed up against him, but at least feeling just a bit more at ease since Brian had halted his unflagging pursuit of him.  He nodded.  "I... I couldn't help overhearing you - you and Jared - in the barn earlier.  You were angry at him."

 

 Brian responded wryly, "You could say that.  Actually, I was tempted to rip his balls off," he added as Justin stared at him in shock.  "But I didn't want to give him a cheap thrill, so I didn't."  He gazed into the expressive blue eyes before asking, "Just how much did you hear?"  It was important to him that Justin knew all of it, and something told him that it was important to Justin, too.   Justin was about as different from his brother as oil and water. 

 

Justin bit his lip as he turned his head to stare out over at the storage barn.  "I... I heard the two of you talking about what happened last night." 

 

Brian squeezed his hand, noticing how warm it was.  The hand was surprisingly strong, though, and slightly calloused, no doubt due in large part to how hard Justin seemed to be working most of the time.  "You mean about what didn't happen last night, don't you?" 

 

Justin turned his head around to stare at Brian.  The other boy had backed off a little bit, but he could still feel his leg brushed up against his and his fingers slowly stroking his palm and it was making him crazy inside.  No one had ever made him feel like this before, and it was both highly arousing as well as terribly disconcerting to him.  This wasn't like racing Headstrong; there was no game plan here he could follow to make sure he didn't make a fool out of himself.  "Yeah," he whispered in admission.  "I mean, I heard the two of you talking about...You know..."  He could feel the heat blooming on his face at the mere thought of what he thought he had heard.

 

"You mean about Jared fucking me?" Brian finished bluntly as Justin nodded.

 

He smirked.  "Yeah, he fucked me all right," he said as Justin's face fell in dismay; had he been wrong after all?  "In his dreams, that is," Brian clarified to Justin's joy, "and by the way, he doesn't give head very well, either."  He quirked one side of his lips up to gaze over at Justin, noticing what appeared to be a soft smile breaking out on his face.

 

"Really?"  Justin whispered.  He had hoped that was what he had overheard, but until now he hadn't wanted to assume anything.  To his relief, however, apparently he had heard right.  "He didn't?" 

 

Brian smiled at the tone of Justin's voice and how his face suddenly transformed from one of sadness and anger to one of happiness, even though he suspected he was trying to hide that fact from him.  He continued to stroke Justin's hand as he replied firmly, "No, he must certainly did not.  I don't bottom for anyone - especially such a smug asshole as your brother." 

 

Justin chuckled, a sound that Brian found enchanting.  It was the first time he had really seen Justin break out into such a bright smile and hear him laugh, and he found that he rather liked it - a lot.  "Too much like yourself?" Justin asked unexpectedly.

 

Brian eyed him with new appreciation; that question didn't sound innocent at all.  "Are you calling me a smug asshole, Mr. Taylor?" he asked.    

 

Justin's face broke out into an even wider smile then just as the full moon came out from behind the porch roof, and Brian couldn't help thinking that it had just met its match in the brilliance department.  His breath caught in his throat as he was able to see Justin more clearly now, and he couldn't help returning his smile.  "Well?" he asked, one eyebrow arched in question as he edged in a little closer.  This boy was amazing.

 

"What do YOU think?" Justin quipped impishly; his smile, however, began to fade as he watched Brian's face looming ever closer to his.  He licked his lips nervously as his eyes flickered down to Brian's mouth, feeling suddenly like he was getting in way over his head.  What was he doing out here with him?  They both knew where this was heading if they stayed out here much longer.  "Brian," he whispered.  "I..."

 

"Shh," Brian entreated softly as he brought their clasped hands up to place their hands up to his mouth and kiss Justin's knuckles, feeling the smaller hand trembling in his as he did. Normally he would promptly dispense with any hint of courtesy or pleasantries with a boy he was interested in fucking - and God knows he wanted that badly at the moment - but something made him hold back and take things more slowly with him.  Was it his relatively young age or something else about this boy? He didn't know; he just knew it was somehow important that he did.  That didn't mean every fiber of his body wasn't crying out to have him, though; ALL of him. 

 

"I'm going to kiss you; you're not getting away from me this time," he vowed as he broke his handhold with Justin and curled his hand firmly around his companion's neck to pull him closer.  Justin's eyes grew round and darkened as he stared wordlessly into his eyes, mutely accepting what he knew was destined to be.  Both boys' eyes fluttered closed as their lips tentatively met; an initial, soft, exploratory type of encounter at first. 

 

Justin groaned softly at the first taste of Brian's lips; so soft, so warm, and so confident as he felt him increasing the pressure slightly.  Partly for balance but also just because he wanted to, he HAD to, he took his free hand and wound it around the other boy's back to hold on for dear life, feeling the chiseled hardness under his touch.  A few seconds of increased pressure on his lips and somehow he instinctively knew what Brian wanted as his mouth opened ever so slightly to allow the other boy's tongue to slide inside, and he found himself about to drown in the sensations he was feeling.  He felt Brian's lips continually moving, gliding over his as his tongue swabbed the inside of his mouth hungrily, seemingly washing over every centimeter as Brian angled his lips to seal them tightly over his. 

 

Brian was almost lying on top of him now in the swing, so close to his own chest that he could feel twin hearts beating almost impossibly fast; their hands, which had been trapped between, broke apart almost of one accord as they used that opportunity pull each other closer, Brian's hand slowly sliding around Justin's bare back as Justin's wrapped itself around his neck and played with the soft hair there.  Their groins brushed together and both boys moaned audibly at the delicious contact; Justin couldn't help feeling heady over the knowledge of how hard both of their cocks were against their bellies, and he felt inordinately powerful that he could make someone like Brian desire him so badly. 

 

As their kiss continued for what seemed like an eternity, Justin could feel the swing's chain biting into his back as Brian pressed him backward, but he didn't care; the emotions flooding through him for this boy more than made up for any discomfort.  He couldn't help thinking how if Brian could make him feel this incredible merely by kissing him and pressing up against him, how it would feel to actually have sex with him.  That notion both thrilled as well as frightened him in its intensity.  He had no doubt that Brian was hoping they would find out shortly just how well they fit together, but was he ready yet for that big step?  As much as he wanted it himself, as much as he craved it, tendrils of doubt - doubts about his own ability to satisfy this experienced and incredibly sexy boy - and also hesitation about moving too fast bubbled up to the surface.  After all, hadn't Brian just tried to do this very same thing with his own brother last night?  How could he be sure, then, that Brian wasn't merely trying to accomplish something he couldn't get done last night and wasn't just using him as a convenient backup plan to satisfy his own needs?  Was it possible he just needed ‘his itch scratched' and it didn't matter who the recipient was?

 

With great reluctance, then, as well as a great deal of self-discipline he wasn't even sure he possessed, he somehow managed to wedge his hand in between their bodies and exert enough strength with his palm on Brian's chest to push them apart, their lips separating with a resounding pop that sounded even louder in the relative stillness of the night. 

 

Brian pulled back far enough so he could look into Justin's desire-clouded eyes, his own searching the other boy's face for an answer as to why he had pushed him away.  His breathing was incredibly ragged from their kiss, coming out in soft pants as he frowned into the flushed face of his companion's.  "Wh... What is it?" he asked, his chest moving up and down rapidly.  He tried to deflect the disappointment as well as frustration over being stymied as he added, "Why did you pull away from me?  We can go somewhere else more comfortable," he suggested, thinking that Justin was merely wanting to take their action away from the house for fear of detection.  He wanted nothing more at that moment than to continue where they had left off; they had really just begun, and already he was hard as a rock and leaking profusely from their efforts, so he didn't care WHERE they went as long as he could accomplish that much-desired goal. 

 

For one brief moment, he decided that this boy might just prove to be the exception when it came to his self-control; he had never come in his pants before, but this beautiful blond might just prove to be his undoing if they didn't promptly pick up where they had just left off.  "Justin?" he asked as he took his hand from around his companion's neck and used it to lift his chin and make him look into his eyes.  He continued to breathe rapidly in and out through slightly-parted lips as he stared into blue eyes that were shining like 100-watt bulbs under the moonlight.  "What do you want, Justin?  Tell me."  He couldn't believe he was even asking that question; any other time, he would be demanding what he wanted or he would just go after what - or who - he wanted.  Why was it so different with this boy, then?

 

To his dismay, Justin bit his lip momentarily before he said, "I... I can't do this, Brian.  Please... Let me go."  He grasped Brian's biceps in a silent plea to escape, but Brian didn't show any signs of wanting to move.  "Brian, please..."

 

Brian shook his head in stunned incredulity.  "Why?  I know you want me, Justin."  There was no hint of arrogance or conceit in that statement; it was simply the truth.  He could feel Justin struggling slightly beneath him and it filled him with vast disappointment.  He leaned down to try and kiss him again, desperately wanting to taste those lips once more and with that gesture somehow show this boy how much he wanted him and how much that yes, he cared for him.  But to his profound surprise and displeasure, Justin turned his head.  His attempt to not jump to conclusions failed him as he huffed out in frustration, "What is the problem with you?  One minute you're letting me tongue fuck you and the next you're turning me down?  What is wrong with you?"

 

The hurt and anger that bloomed inside him at Brian's tone of voice provided Justin with the necessary adrenalin to forcefully push Brian off him; surprised by Justin's strength, Brian managed to reach for the opposite arm of the swing as he sat vicariously upright on the other side as Justin rose shakily to his feet.  Pulling his sweatpants back up slightly and knowing that his actions did nothing to hide his desire for the other boy, he retrieved what little dignity he had left and stiffly told him, "There is nothing ‘wrong' with me, Brian.  I'm just fine.  I told you; I have to get some sleep so I'm rested for tomorrow.  That's all there is to it."  He hurriedly walked over and scooped up the ball of clothing that had been hastily dropped near the back door as he told him, "Thanks for returning my clothes."

 

Brian looked at him in shock.  What the hell had happened here?  The last thing he was worried about was returning Justin's clothes.  That had been merely a convenient device to return - and to see him again.  Now he was being rejected?  For what?  So Justin could get some beauty sleep?  He voiced his thoughts aloud as he retorted, "That's bullshit, Justin!  You are not leaving because you need sleep.  You're leaving because you're fucking scared."

 

Justin huffed as he once more held the clothes up against his chest and stared over at the other boy.  He knew Brian was absolutely right; he WAS scared - scared of the feelings this dangerous boy engendered in him.  He wasn't about to tell him, that, though; it was embarrassing enough.  "I am NOT scared, Brian!  I told you why I have to go; you can believe me or not."

 

Brian was not to be deterred, however.  "No, Justin!" he argued.  "Tell me the REAL reason why you just did what you did!  Or are you really that fucked up?" 

 

Justin fumed.  How did this go from such an incredibly erotic experience to another argument with this boy?  Throwing caution and common sense to the wind and not concerned at the moment whether he would be heard or not, he retorted somewhat loudly, "Okay, I'll tell you why!  We're not going any further with this - whatever it is - until I'm convinced that you're not using me as a convenience!"

 

Brian frowned as he glared over at him.  "A convenience? What the hell are you talking about, Justin?" 

 

Justin shook his head; was Brian that dense?  "I am not going to be your little backup boy when things don't go the way that you wanted with Jared."

 

Brian stood up as Justin backed slightly toward the door, feeling like he might need to make a hasty escape; he couldn't trust himself around Brian.  One more kiss like the one they had just shared, and he knew his righteous convictions would promptly disappear.  "I thought I had just gotten through explaining what happened - and didn't happen - with Jared."

 

"Yes, you did," Justin replied in agreement.  "But I'm not LIKE Jared, Brian.  I can't just have sex with a boy just because it would feel amaz...good," he corrected quickly, not wanted Brian to know just how incredible his kiss had felt and had easily he could be manipulated, even now, despite his pride.  "I need more than that."

 

Brian brushed his hand through his head in agitation, emitting a laugh at what he considered the absurdity of that statement.  "What?  You want romance, Hot Stuff?  Saltwater Taffy?  A new saddle?"  He snorted.  "Well, I don't do those types of things.  I don't NEED to.  So don't go expecting me to turn into some kind of lesbian boyfriend or something; it ain't gonna happen."

 

Justin swallowed the lump in his throat at the sarcastic tone of Brian's voice. He nodded.  "That's not what I was saying," he gritted out, his heart aching but his voice surprisingly clear and strong.  He shook his head, wondering why he was even bothering.  Brian was obviously merely looking for someone to satisfy his needs just as he suspected; he didn't really care who it was.  "Never mind," he told him, his voice hard.  "You obviously don't understand."  He reached to open the screen door, wincing again as the door squeaked on its hinges.  It had done that for months now; he silently vowed to grease the damn door so the next time it wouldn't make so much noise. Of course, there probably wouldn't BE a ‘next time;' at least not in the middle of a moonlit night, anyway, and certainly not with this boy. 

 

"No, I don't," Brian countered, his voice clipped with anger.  "Just go, then; go back up to your widdle bedroom and let your horses keep you company instead.  Just don't expect me to be waiting around when you DO decide you want to fuck, because I won't be waiting around for YOU.  I'm sure there are other guys around even this small burg of a town that will be more than happy to accommodate me."

 

Justin sighed sadly as he opened the door wider and turned to face the other boy.  "Yeah, you're probably right," he admitted.  "Good night, Brian," he whispered before he reached for the other doorknob and quickly slipped inside before his resolve totally shattered.  He managed to just close the other door behind him before he leaned against it and felt the first smattering of tears in his eyes.  Closing his eyes and half-praying that Brian would actually decide to stay and fight, he heard nothing instead but the steady ticking of their rooster clock and the thumping of his weary heart.  Finally wiping a few tears away from his cheeks, he slowly trudged through the kitchen and through the hallway to the stairs.  A few minutes later, he entered the bedroom thankfully unobserved.  Almost against his will, he found himself walking over to the still-open window, slowly parting the curtains to peer outside just in time to see Brian slowly walking away in the moonlight, the glow of a cigarette marking a trail beside him. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Hope there aren't too many errors in here; my beta just had surgery, so she's a little out of commission at the moment, and I wanted to post this before I leave on my trip tomorrow.  I'll be working on "Heart's Desire" next, though; I haven't forgotten it!  And I'll also be finishing up the current Tricky story. Thanks to everyone who has been reading.:P