Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

Brian uses his love for Justin to boost his confidence and quell his fears.  Jared and Justin work on restoring their brotherly bond. 

 

"Hey." 

 

Emmett turned around.  "Hey, tall, dark, and brooding," he responded with an appreciative gaze at Brian.  The other boy was wearing a pair of form-fitting, dark-blue jeans, paired with a black cotton, long-sleeved shirt, and a pair of black boots.  The sleeves of his shirt were pulled up to his elbows, offering a liberal look at his tanned, lightly muscled arms.  Justin is one lucky boy, Emmett couldn't help thinking a little wistfully, although perhaps Brian was the lucky one, he decided. 

 

Brian walked over to place his hands on top of the white fence.  "How's he doing?" he asked the other boy as both of them watched Justin and Headstrong trotting around the track.  When Emmett didn't answer immediately, Brian turned to look over at him.  "Emmett?" 

 

Emmett stared straight ahead as if he were gathering up his courage.  Finally, he turned to stare at him.  "Vic's a little worried about him," he admitted. 

 

Brian frowned, his anxiety quickly ramping up.  "What do you mean?" he pressed.  "Justin seems fine to me." 

 

Emmett nodded.  "Physically, yeah.  Mentally?  Maybe not."

 

"Mentally?  Emmett, what the hell are you talking about?"  Brian reached over to grasp his sleeve. 

 

Emmett sighed.  "Vic thinks he's holding back. That he's a little gun shy about racing this weekend." 

 

Brian turned back to stare out at the racetrack, his eyes never leaving Justin's slim form perched atop the sulky seat.  To the untrained eye, Justin seemed normal as he led his horse around the track.  And Justin had never indicated to him that he felt anything but 100% now.  But as Brian studied him more intently, he conceded that perhaps Vic might be right.  He wasn't quite sure what it was, and it was not very discernible or noticeable. But Justin's posture seemed off-kilter, and even the way he held the reins in his hands seemed different somehow; less confident.  And while the speed he was maintaining seemed impressive, he thought he could detect just a bit of a slowdown in Justin's normal behavior.  Was it possible that Vic was right? After all, the man had had several years' of racing experience under his belt, and he was sure by now that Vic knew every minute movement that Justin made while racing.  He watched as Vic pressed the stop button on his stopwatch when Justin and his horse rounded the nearest curve and trotted past for another circuit.  As Justin took off once more for another lap, Vic turned from his position several yards away to peer over at them, and shook his head silently. 

 

"Well, I don't get it," Brian declared flatly.  "He was fine the other day when he and I were practicing together," he pointed out.  "So what's different now?"  His eyes continued to scrutinize his lover as Justin and Headstrong trotted around the track.  It almost seemed to his untrained eye that even the horse sensed Justin's hesitation, or was it his imagination?

 

"Maybe because he's realized it's almost race time," Emmett ventured.  "Before it was just you and him having fun.  His mind probably wasn't on the race then." 

 

Brian let that comment slide without his typical smug response or smirk.  He was too concerned with his lover at the moment.  "Well, I'm going to go talk to Vic about it," he decided, as he turned and headed toward the back gate leading into the racing oval.

 

Vic nodded in greeting as Brian sauntered up to him, along with Emmett, who had decided to join them as well.  The three of them watched intently as Justin neared the second turn before Brian spoke up.  "Emmett thinks Justin's holding back.  Do you?" 

 

Vic let out a worried breath.  "Yeah," he confirmed, his eyes darting down to study the present time that had elapsed on his stopwatch.  "I can tell.  He's off...and the horse knows it, too." 

 

Brian shook his head in confusion, his brow furrowing with concern.  "Why?  He was fine the other day.  You think it's what Emmett says? That he realizes his race is almost here, and it's the first one since the accident?" 

 

Vic nodded as he peered over at him, one eyebrow raised.  "Of course that's what it is," he replied firmly.  "Wouldn't you be a little scared, too, after what he's gone through?" 

 

Brian had to admit he had a point.  He sighed as he turned to watch Justin approaching them.  "Yeah...I guess I would be," he conceded.  Justin had taken a nasty tumble from his sulky.  It had been a miracle that he hadn't been more seriously hurt.  He had shown no signs of any psychological distress with him the other day, and had insisted that he was fine. But was he?  The evidence showed that wasn't the case. The question was, though, just how serious was it?  Just a case of jitters...or something deeper than that?

 

He pressed his lips firmly together.  "But he's going to be fine," Brian told them evenly.  "He's not going to let them beat him." 

 

The three men watched intently as Justin and the horse grew closer; they could see the boy pulling back on the reins as the two of them slowed down and finally came to a stop a few feet away. Headstrong chuffed, huffing through his nose as his head shook from side to side.  He seemed frustrated to Vic; something that probably went unnoticed by Brian and his nephew. But he had been around horses long enough to see the signs.   The horse wasn't the only who appeared frustrated, however.  They watched as Justin climbed down from the sulky, unstrapped his helmet from his head...and promptly threw it down onto the ground in dismay.

 

"Damn it!" he growled in disgust.  "That ride was for shit!  Vic, can you take care of him?"

 

Vic eyed him sympathetically.  "Sure, Kid," he told him softly.  Justin nodded before he turned around to stomp away from them without saying another word.

 

Brian was briefly too stunned to act before he found his voice.  "Justin! Wait up!"  He hurried to catch up to his lover, who was quickly rushing off toward the house.  "Justin! Stop!" 

 

At last, just before he could get to the back gate, Brian reached out and grabbed his lover's wrist to turn him around to face him.  "Justin, talk to me." 

 

"What's to talk about? You've seen me practice before.  Is that what you want? To take True Blue out on the track? You can do that yourself, Brian. You know how to handle him better than I do." 

 

"No, Justin, that's NOT what I want.  What's wrong with you?"

 

His blue eyes flashed as he replied curtly, "There's NOTHING wrong with me. I'm just tired." 

 

"Bullshit," Brian countered.  "That's not it."  He could feel Vic's and Emmett's eyes on them, even though Brian continued to stare at Justin, who stood there with his lips pressed firmly together in agitation.

 

"Oh, really? And just what might that be?" 

 

"Vic saw it.  And even I saw it."  The older boy's voice softened as he explained, "You're scared.  And you have every right to be," he hurriedly added. But it was too late - either that, or it didn't matter. The anger was written all over Justin's sweat-covered face.

 

"I am NOT scared!" he insisted.  "Why should I be scared? Did I look scared when I was practicing with you?" 

 

"No," Brian admitted.  "But that was before it got closer to your race.  There was no pressure while you were practice racing with me. But now that your next race is coming up this weekend, you're beginning to think about what it will be like to be racing with the others in front of a large crowd again. And that is making you nervous, and causing you to hesitate."

 

"You can think whatever you want, Brian," he told him stiffly.  He wrenched his hand away from Brian's grasp as he turned to head into the house, but he didn't get far.

 

"I am NOT your enemy, Justin!" Brian shouted.  "I love you, and I want to help you, don't you see that?  Justin, please..."

 

He watched as the other boy took a few steps away from him, and then stopped; as he stood there, Justin's shoulders seemed to droop.  Finally, after a few seconds, Brian walked over to him just as he turned around to face him, tears in his eyes.  "Justin..." Unable to stop himself, Brian swept him up into a firm embrace, sliding his arms around the slender body to hold him close.  "I understand.  You have every right to be nervous."  He could hear sniffling as Justin lay his head against his chest and slid his own arms around Brian's back.  "No one thinks any less of you." 

 

After several moments, Justin finally sighed before pulling back just enough to look Brian in the eyes; Brian couldn't help reaching up to gently brush some of the wetness away from his cheeks with his thumbs.  "You're right," he whispered truthfully.  "I AM afraid. I don't really know why. I know I don't have anything to fear anymore; that all of them are in jail, and the ringleader is dead.  My mind knows that...but I guess my body doesn't."  He shook his head in self-loathing.  "Vic's right. I WAS hesitating out there. And even that little bit of hesitation may cost me the race on Saturday. I can't let that happen." 

 

"Why, Justin?  Would it be so bad if someone else won for once?  With your father working again now, your family won't have to depend solely on you to get by." 

 

Justin let out a shaky breath as he slid his hands up to rest them against Brian's shoulders. He shook his head. "It's not that I can't let anyone else win," he tried to explain.  "It's more like I would know I didn't do my best, and I would be disappointed in ME."  He gazed into the sympathetic, hazel eyes.  "You would be disappointed, too, Brian, if it were you out there and you didn't do your best. Admit it." 

 

"Yes, I would be," he conceded. "But if I had experienced the kind of fall that YOU did, Justin...and almost gotten myself killed - twice - I would be nervous, too.  Don't be so hard on yourself, Ace." 

 

That at least earned a half-smile as Justin replied softly, "Ace, huh? I don't feel like much of an ace at the moment.  More like a joker." 

 

Brian grinned.  "No...never a joker," he decided as he slid his arms back around Justin's body to pull him a little closer, not concerned about anyone watching them. At that moment, it was just the two of them.  "Justin, if you decided not to race for a while longer..."

 

Blue eyes flashed. "No, Brian! I can't do that! Don't you see?  If I don't do this now, I'm afraid I may never get the balls to do it at all!  I have to face this...this fear.  I know it's irrational." 

 

"But it's still there anyway, isn't it?" 

 

Justin nodded sadly. 

 

"What can I do to help you?" Brian murmured as he stared into the fathomless, expressive eyes.  "You know I'd do anything for you."  He rolled his lips under, suddenly feeling almost shy over his heartfelt declaration. But he meant it; he WOULD do anything to make Justin feel secure, and make him happy. 

 

"I know you would," Justin whispered back. "And I love you for that." 

 

"Only that?"

 

Justin grinned as Brian grinned back at him, earning the hoped-for response.  "Well, maybe more than just that," he replied as Brian's smile grew wider.  "But you know what I mean. It's not the money; not this time. It's more like my pride is involved here.  Do you understand?" 

 

Brian nodded.  "Yeah, I understand.  So what are you going to do about it, Mr. Taylor?  I think I know of a way to help you relax." 

 

Justin's face flushed at the thought.  "I'll bet you do," he replied as Brian smiled at him playfully.  "Somehow I think that might have just the opposite effect, though."  He gazed over at Headstrong, who Vic had by the reins at the moment, leading him over to the stables for a cool-down.  "No, we both know what I need to do. I need to get back on him, and keep practicing until I feel confident again. But I can't right now; Headstrong needs a break for a while."

 

"And so do you," Brian told him firmly.  He broke off his embrace to reach for his hand.  "Come on; let's go for a walk." 

 

Justin stood there for a moment until he smiled and nodded.  "Okay," he softly agreed, reaching to grasp Brian's hand in his.  Fingers twined together, they turned to head toward the wooded swimming hole, their favorite spot to be alone. 

 


 

An Hour Later...

 

"Feel better?" Brian murmured as he rubbed Justin's shoulder.  The two of them were sitting side by side on ‘their' log - the one where Brian had given the other boy his leather sketchpad.  Since that time, he had seen Justin carrying it around frequently, and had seen several sketches Justin had drawn. They were amazingly lifelike and intricate in nature, and constantly astounded him. 

 

Justin nodded. Any time he was in Brian's arms, he always felt so safe and protected.  "I wish you could ride with me Saturday," he told him as he lay his cheek against Brian's chest.  "Then I wouldn't be nervous at all." 

 

"Is that allowed?" Brian raised his head to look Justin in the eyes.

 

Justin shook his head.  "No...just wishful thinking," he admitted as Brian nodded.

 

"Well, you know I will still be there with you...my eyes won't leave you until you cross that finish line...in first place."

 

Justin laughed softly.  "No pressure, huh?  You really think my jitters will go away once I'm there? I'm wondering if they'll actually get worse."

 

"No, they won't," Brian assured him as he continued to caress the other boy's shoulder.  "You will rise to the top and be triumphant, just like you always are.  I know you can do it.  And whether you win or not, I know you will do your best. That is all anyone can ask of you." 

 

Justin nodded.  "You know...just because that gambling cartel was taken care of doesn't mean that there aren't others. Gambling is pretty common in the horseracing business, and not just with sulky races."

 

Brian nodded at him, his heart hammering at the thought.  "Yeah, I can imagine it's not much different than Formula One racing, or any other kind of sport."  He paused as he lifted his head.  "Justin, can I ask you something?"

 

Justin frowned slightly as he tilted his face upward to look at him, but nodded.  "Sure.  What do you want to know?" 

 

"If you didn't have to worry about the money, and you were given the choice to race or not to race, with no pressure or strings attached, and not have to worry about helping to keep your family afloat financially, at least until your father can pull his own weight, so to speak...would you do it? Still race, I mean?" 

 

"Why do you ask?" 

 

Brian shrugged.  "Just wondering."

 

"No, you're not just ‘wondering,'" Justin replied firmly.  "There's more to it than that."

 

He grinned down at Justin ruefully. "You know me too well sometimes, you know that?"

 

"Just answer the question," Justin gently demanded as he stood up straighter on the fallen log and stared at him expectantly, his body turned toward the other boy as he rested his hands, palms down, on his chest.  

 

Brian sighed in resignation.  "It's just that you are so talented with your art, Justin.  I've seen what you can do. It's incredible.  I could never draw like you do.  And I know that's where your real talent - and passion - lie.  You're are definitely gifted artistically." 

 

Justin gazed into his eyes thoughtfully.  "And...?  That isn't any secret, Brian.  You've always known that."

 

Brian nodded.  "Yes.  I know. Vanderbilt.  Equestrian art therapy.  I remember." 

 

Justin nodded back at him.  "So why the question about my racing?  I'm not going to Vanderbilt until next fall." 

 

Brian swallowed hard.  He really didn't want to think about that, because he knew what that also meant:  separation.  "I know.  It's just that..."

 

"What?"

 

"I don't want you to ever lose sight of your dreams. That would be a big waste." 

 

"And what about you?" 

 

"Me?" 

 

"Yes," Justin replied softly.  "We always seem to be talking about MY dreams. What about yours, Brian?  Now that you've decided to stay here?  You have decided to do that...right?"  Justin held his breath; even though he and Brian had talked about that before, he still knew that Brian had more than enough financial capital now to go anywhere he wanted. Would he only wait long enough for him to head off to college before he got the itch to leave for somewhere more exciting, more in tune with what he was used to? 

 

To his enormous relief, Brian nodded.  "Yes, I've decided to stay."  He gazed out onto the shimmering swimming hole, nestled among all the shade trees. This particular place had been the start of his and Justin's relationship, so it would always hold a special spot in his heart. "This place has a way of capturing you," he whispered.  "Don't know exactly why...but it does."  He looked into Justin's eyes so intently that it made the other boy blush.  "Of course, you're the main reason why it's so attractive.  But even when you're...gone," Brian had a hard time getting that word out, "...even then, I'll still be here.  I owe that much to Will and Sarah. And I've come to care a lot about them. I would want to make sure that they are taken care of, like they have taken care of me." 

 

"I'm glad," Justin told him with a smile.  "But I still want to know, Brian.  What will you do now?"

 

Brian teased, "Well, I can always be a big shot sulky driver, especially since the competition is about to get a lot less difficult." 

 

Justin laughed.  "Brian! I had to train years to get to where I am now? You don't really think you can go out there and win with just  a few days of training, do you?"  He paused before continuing.  "Besides, I don't see you doing that as a life profession.  You have a lot more potential than that."

 

Brian sighed.  "Sometimes I wonder," he confessed.

 

"Don't say that, Brian!  I believe in you. You have to, too." 

 

"Justin, what could I possibly do?  I was a slacker in high school.  Yeah, I managed to graduate. And had fairly good grades oddly enough, even though I preferred to drag race or get stoned rather than study.  But that was pure luck." 

 

"Surely there was something you liked in high school." 

 

Brian shrugged, his fingers continuing to stroke Justin's shoulder.  "I enjoyed playing soccer," he told him.  "And I liked my business classes. I was damn good at them, too." He smirked.  "I could talk anyone into anything back then, even my teachers. My class in economics was a breeze; at least when I had to make up campaign pitches for fake businesses.  My teacher in the class said I could sell ice to an Eskimo." 

 

Justin grinned as he tenderly brushed some hair back from Brian's face, hooking it behind his ears.  His touch was light, making Brian shiver slightly in response.   "I can believe that," he told him softly.  "You could talk me into anything." 

 

Brian grinned back at him smugly.  "Anything? I could think of something quite pleasurable right now."

 

Justin's face warmed.  "It's too chilly for that today," he told him, although his body was tingling at the thought.  "Besides, there's something else I need to do."

 

"Oh? What?"

 

Justin let out a deep breath before he explained, "I need to practice some more. And this time I won't back down." 

 

Brian smiled at him before the two of them leaned in for a kiss.  It lasted several seconds before both boys reluctantly pulled back.  Standing up, Brian reached down to pull Justin up to stand next to him.  "I knew you wouldn't," he answered him.  "And I'll be there with you Saturday...and always."

 


 

Later that afternoon....

 

Vic nodded in satisfaction as Justin raced around the track like a madman; gone was the initial hesitation and uncertainty from earlier. In its place was a boy possessed; a boy racing like the wind. Headstrong sensed it, too; it was evident in the furious pace he was maintaining. As Justin neared him, Vic nodded, pleased, before pushing down the timing mechanism and glancing down at his newest time. It was in line with one of Justin's fastest times, either in practice or on the field.  He grinned as Brian walked over to him.  "I don't know what you did to that boy...but he's like a different person this afternoon." 

 

Brian watched his lover carefully, convinced that Vic was right. There was definitely a big difference between Justin's hesitation earlier, and his pace now. Even the way he carried himself was different; more confident and much less rigid.  It was the Justin he was used to seeing during a race, and it filled him with relief.  He nodded.  "Yeah...he's back to his old self," Brian declared.  At last, he turned to peer over at the older man, who was still staring at him in wonder.  "I didn't do anything special," he explained.  "I guess you could say I just gave him a pep talk." 

 

Vic nodded as he turned his attention back to his young protégé.  "Well, whatever you did, it seems to have worked."  He watched as Justin neared them again, waiting until he passed before he pressed the stop button on his watch, noticing he was even faster this time.  His eyes widened slightly.  "Fastest time he's had since the accident," he informed Brian.  "That must have been one hell of a pep talk.  You sure that's all you did?" he asked, a twinkle in his eye.

 

Brian rolled his eyes.  "Yes, I'm sure. Get your head out of the gutter, Vic."

 

Vic laughed.  "Okay, okay." His face turned more serious as he added, "You're good for him, Brian.  It's about time someone treated him the way he should be treated."

 

"We're good for each other," Brian replied softly, never taking his eyes off his lover.

 

Vic nodded next to his side, reaching to squeeze Brian's shoulder briefly before they both turned their attention back to the track. 

 

 


 

Saturday Afternoon...Red Mill

 

Holding his trophy triumphantly, Justin waited just long enough to pose next to Headstrong for the press before he handed the silver horse statue to his mother and promptly took off toward the stables.  A knowing look passed between Craig and Jennifer as they watched their youngest son hurrying away. 

 

"Why do I have the feeling he's not heading back to Headstrong's stall to gather up his things to go home?" Craig asked dryly.  "He hasn't moved that fast since junior high when we visited the Hendersons and told him he could have one of their goats for his 4H project." 

 

Jennifer laughed.  "Yes, I remember that.  That was short-lived, though; just like his brief fascination with the trumpet in middle school."

 

Craig nodded as he observed Justin rushing off toward the stables before he disappeared into the crowd.  "Yeah.  Everything except his art...and that Kinney boy."

 

"Craig, that ‘Kinney boy,' as you put it, has a name.  I thought we were past this?  That you were okay with them being together?"

 

Craig sighed as he brushed his hand through his hair; he turned to face his wife before he replied, "I am. I guess.  I mean, I've given up trying to keep them apart.  You know how determined and stubborn Justin can be when he has his heart set on something.  Like I told you before, though; I just don't want him to get hurt." 

 

"Hasn't Brian shown by now that he has our son's best interests at heart?  I'm the first one to admit I'd rather Justin not be so invested in another boy at his age. But neither one of us can deny they care about each other.  I think Brian has more than proven himself by now."

 

"I know," Craig concurred.  He shook his head.  "Besides, this will all be over once Justin goes to college in the spring.  This infatuation will blow over, and he will find someone else eventually once he gets involved with his studies." 

 

Jennifer gave him a long-suffering look.  "Do you really believe that, Craig?  You know Justin!  When he gives his heart to something - or someone - he gives it to them wholeheartedly."  She shook her head in disagreement.  "No, I don't know how they will handle a long-distance relationship, but I doubt seriously if just having space between them is going to keep them apart.  Or destroy what they have. Their bond is too strong. Surely you can see that."

 

"Jen, no matter how someone feels about someone else, having hundreds of miles between them is going to make a difference.  They may THINK they will continue this infatuation between them, but time will eventually work against them. Time, and Justin's maturity while he is in college.  You'll see."

 

"Yes, it will," Jennifer murmured, refusing to believe that. She knew her son way too well.  "Time will tell."  At least they agreed on that. 

 


 

The smile on Brian's face rivaled Justin's as he looked up from Headstrong's stall to see his lover rushing up to him.  He barely had time to open his arms up in invitation before he was wrapped up in a tight embrace.  He heard Justin laughing joyously at him as he impulsively lifted him off his feet and twirled him around in celebration, unable to keep the smile from remaining on his face.  Stopping to slowly let Justin slide back onto the dirt, straw-covered floor, he gazed into the deep, blue eyes before the two came together for a kiss.  "I knew you could do it," he told him after they were finally forced to come up for air.

 

Justin smiled at him, his eyes open and clearly broadcasting his love and appreciation.  "Because you had faith in me that I could."

 

Brian shook his head.  "No. It was all you, Justin.  I just helped you to see that."

 

"I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on that, then," Justin told him, as he played with the back of Brian's hair.  "Why don't we celebrate, though?  Lunch is on me." 

 

Brian grinned.  "Big spender. What does a hot dog cost here? Five bucks?  What if I want a fried pickle to go with that?"  He laughed as Justin smacked him on the chest, catching his hand in his as he brought it up to his lips to kiss each finger; he watched as Justin's eyes darkened with the telltale signs of desire that no doubt echoed his own as he placed both their hands down on his chest.  "Well, if you're spending, I want the works," he told him with a grin.

 

"Good," Justin remarked. "Because I'm starving; let's go."  Brian laughed as he allowed the other boy to pull him out of the stable. 

 

 


 

 

Late September...Morning - Taylor Farm

 

Justin's jaw dropped as he glanced up from the breakfast table to see his brother walking over to sit down beside him.  It wasn't just that Jared was awake before 8:30 a.m.; he was also wet from a shower he must have just taken, as well as dressed to go out.  His scuffed up, canvas duffel bag was slung over his shoulder as he dropped it down on the floor.  "Sleep in your clothes?"

 

Jared snorted as Jennifer walked over and poured her oldest son some orange juice.  "Do I look like I slept in these clothes, Squirt?" 

 

Justin shrugged as he poured way too much sugar into his oatmeal.  "Well, I figured that could be the only explanation as to why you're awake and out of bed this early." 

 

Jared rolled his eyes.  "Yeah, and I'm wet because I pissed all over myself."

 

"Jared, please," Jennifer admonished him as she wiped her hands on her apron and sat down at the other side of the table.  She turned to peer over at Justin with a smile as she told him, "Your brother is awake and dressed because he has a job." 

 

"Excuse me?  I could have sworn you just said that Jared has a job. Those two words don't belong in the same sentence."   His mother pressed her lips tightly together in exasperation.   "Are you serious?" 

 

"Yes, I'm serious. Tell him, Jared.  I'm so proud of you!" she exclaimed.

 

Jared shrugged.  "I'm going to be helping Scooter at the gas station, working on cars." 

 

Justin's eyes widened in surprise.  "Really? As in a PAID job?" 

 

Jared huffed in indignation.  "Do you think I would work for free?  Of course, it's a paid job!  He's even going to let me stay above the garage in Doug's old apartment as a sort of night watchman. All I have to do is take care of the shop when he's gone, and pay for my utilities & groceries.  He's even found me a clunker that I can work on in my spare time and fix up for some wheels."

 

"Well, I'm glad I'm sitting down," Justin deadpanned.  "You've got a job and you're moving out, too?"  He couldn't help being just a bit relieved by that. Jared would always be his brother, and he would always love him. But would they ever have that close bond back that they had shared before?  Probably not, he surmised.  Perhaps being apart would help their relationship in a strange way, because having Jared back in the house just served to start up their competition once more, even though this time it wasn't over Brian.  It was more over who would get the most attention from their parents.  He knew that was juvenile and immature, but with Jared he just seemed to bring the worst out in him. 

 

"Why, are you going to miss me?"  Jared asked with his customary smirk. 

 

To his surprise, Justin nodded.  "Yeah.  Believe it or not, I will," he told him softly.  He couldn't really imagine a time until recently that he and Jared hadn't been in the same house.  Until Brian had come along, he and his brother had been close; competitive, but close. 

 

Jared's boastful façade diminished as he half-smiled.  Reaching over, he ruffled Justin's hair as his younger brother scowled at him.  Jared laughed; he had forgotten by now how many times he had done that, just to aggravate him.  It was almost a family tradition by now.  "Me, too, Squirt," he told him sincerely.  "Guess I'll have to find someone else to watch over you.  You're on your own now, little brother."

 

Justin huffed.  "I can take care of myself."

 

Jared peered over at him affectionately.  "Yeah...I guess you can," he told him quietly.  "You're not such a little squirt anymore." 

 

Justin's face warmed at the unusual but unexpected compliment.  "Thanks," he murmured.  "But don't expect to get rid of me that easily," he warned.  "I'll still be in town enough to make sure you're staying out of trouble." 

 

Jared snorted.  "Trust me, after all this, I plan on staying under the radar." 

 

Jennifer smiled.  "And you know you are welcome here anytime, Jared.  In fact, we expect you here at least once a week for supper.  And I'm sure that your father will be more than happy to help you with your car."

 

Jared nodded.  "I'm counting on it.  Hey, now I even get auto parts at wholesale!  And with Scooter's junkyard behind the gas station, he said I can have any salvage part I can find out there. So I'll have it all gussied up in no time.  You won't even recognize it. Scooter's even offered to let me do some subcontracting work on customers' cars, like pin striping and custom paint jobs; he told me I can keep half of whatever I get for it. He thinks it will help increase his business."

 

"You seem pretty excited about this," Justin observed, hearing the enthusiasm and animation in his brother's voice. 

 

Jared shrugged.  "I know I'm no Einstein," he admitted.  "You're the smart one."  Justin started to protest before his brother added, "But I'm the prettier one."  He laughed as he earned a snort from his brother.  "Just trying to get you riled up, Squirt.  Someone has to keep you on the up and up. But I guess Brian will do that in my absence."  He paused.  "He really cares about you. You know that, right?" 

 

Jennifer watched the exchange between her two sons, relieved that they had seemed to come to an understanding of sorts.  Jared even sounded sincere about Brian's place in his brother's life; quite a departure from before when they were competing for his affection. 

 

"Yeah," Justin answered softly, his face tinged with pink.  "I care about him, too." 

 

Jared nodded as he hurriedly wiped his mouth and scooted back from the table.  "Well, I'd better get going," he explained as the sound of a truck coming up the dirt road could be heard.  "That must be Scooter's truck. He said he'd come pick me up."  He chuckled.  "At least I won't have a big commute to work," he joked. 

 

Jennifer stood up to pull him into an embrace, her voice choking as she said, "Remember what I said about supper.  Take care of yourself."  She reluctantly let go of him.  "I'm sure your father will be in touch about helping you with your car," he reminded him as he nodded. 

 

"Thanks, Mom. For everything," he murmured, swallowing the lump in his throat.  He took a deep breath to face his brother and smirked.  "Well, the chicken coop and the cows are all yours now, Squirt. Don't go snipe hunting without me, though."  He laughed as Justin scowled at him indignantly.  Justin had fallen for that joke when he had been nine years old, thinking there really were snipes around to hunt. It had taken a few weeks for Jared and his friends to stop making fun of him for that, too. 

 

"Shut up," he growled, but there was no malice in his words as he eventually grinned back at him.  "I'll be asking mom and dad to tear out that wall between our bedrooms now that you're leaving for good," he stated. 

 

"Justin, we will do nothing of the kind, young man!" Jennifer exclaimed.  She grinned at them sheepishly as her two sons laughed at her response, both of them knowing that Justin was kidding. "Well, you know what I mean.  Jared, you will always be welcome here, honey." 

 

He nodded.  "Take good care of Mom and Dad, Justin.  And...take good care of yourself."  Justin nodded as his brother impulsively hugged him. It was only for a brief moment, however, before he pulled back, embarrassed.  "Got to go," he told them, as he picked up his duffel bag and headed toward the door.  Justin and his mother walked over to the back door to watch Jared climb up into Scooter's truck bed and wave before the mechanic turned his truck around and headed back out toward the highway.

 

Jennifer sighed as she placed her arm around her younger son's shoulders.  "That's one out of the nest," she murmured, the sadness evident in her voice.  "And you won't be far behind," she added softly. 

 

"That's not until next fall, Mom," he reminded her, wrapping his arm around her slim waist.  "I'm not going anywhere until then. And you'll see me all the time, even then." 

 

She pulled him closer as he instinctively laid his head against her shoulder.  "You're growing up way too fast, Justin.  But you'll always be my baby, no matter how old you get." She smiled as she heard a responding snort from him.  "Well, you will be," she insisted.  She sighed as she released him.  "But I also know that you're growing up to be a fine, young man. A man that I am very proud of.  I love you so much, Justin." 

 

Justin's eyes watered as he smiled through his tears.  "I love you, too, Mom."