Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

Brian glared at any of his friends who tried approaching him. He had been patiently waiting, biding his time for Justin to eventually make his way back to him.

Opening the envelope had stung a little. It was clear that Justin was trying to break the final tie to Brian. They had an agreement that Brian would pay for Justin's education, and only after Justin graduated with a solid income would he begin to repay Brian. He shoved the check back into the envelope. His glare softened at the sight of the handmade thank you note and portrait of father and son.

Brian was suddenly scared that maybe he had misjudged the situation. He was convinced once Justin had his fill of romantic bullshit and Ian finally showed what a douchebag he really was, that Justin would come back with his head held high and some life experience under his belt, ready to take what Brian had to offer.

It now appeared that Justin had tossed that scenario out the fucking window. Brian needed to do something to ensure that he wouldn’t lose the one person who had unknowingly became very dear to his sheltered heart.

Brian slammed the diner door behind him and drove across town, Brian put the check in Justin's mother's mail box, writing the word "Denied" across the check. It was childish and immature but it was a move that would make Justin contact him. He put the check back into the envelope, crossed out his name and replaced it with Justin’s.
---------
Justin grinned as his mother and sister recalled funny stories from their trip to the beach.

"Mom had to stop and use the restroom every hour on the drive home - she even had to pee on the side of the road " Molly stated with a giggle, finding her mother’s pregnancy discomforts humorous.

"That’s so gross Mollusk" Justin said making a disgusted face, only to send his little sister into another fit of laughter.

"I know, I know. Could you ask Mom if we can have pizza tonight?" Molly asked hopefully, tossing her brother a pleading look that he hardly ever denied.

"Already on it Molls, pepperoni and sausage right?" Justin asked and received a positive nod.

"You’re the best" Molly sang as she ran up the stairs to her teenage sanctuary.

"Justin, this was in the mailbox" Jennifer said, handing over a yellow envelope.

Justin rolled his eyes as he opened the envelope, knowing instinctively whom it was from; denied was written across the check he had handed to Brian earlier that day.

"What is it?" Jennifer asked curiously, knowing that only one person in Justin's life could cause the sudden emotions that were currently displayed across his face.

"Brian denied my check" Justin replied with a frown on his face; he would be calling him Brian later when he was in the privacy of his own home.

"What does that mean?" Jennifer questioned casually, never really knowing exactly how Brian and Justin worked, just that in the long run he made her baby boy happier than he had ever been.

"I have no idea, but I’ll find out" Justin said, dropping the subject.

The family of three - soon to be four - ate dinner together while playing a quick game of clue.

"Mom, I have a surprise for you" Justin announced while Molly was putting the game away.

"Oh honey you know how I hate surprises. I hope you didn’t waste any of your hard earned money." Jennifer fussed, while letting her curiosity get the better of her.

"Just follow me" Justin said leading her up the staircase, giving Jennifer time to wonder when her children had grown up. Molly and Justin had managed to play an entire game without name-calling or becoming annoyed with each other and it was obvious that they had grown closer in the last year.

Jennifer shot her son a confused smile as they stopped in front of the guest room. "Just go in" Justin said, opening the door and stepping aside, letting his mother take in the view of the finished nursery.

"Oh Justin, it’s just beautiful. Did you do all of this?" Jennifer gushed, standing in the middle of the nursery.

"Daphne helped. I painted the ocean scene and sunrise this week while you girls were gone, and we finished this afternoon with the furniture. I didn’t want my little brother to come home to just any ordinary room." Justin said gently, his sunshine smile working in high gear.
----------
Justin entered his apartment, placing his keys on the small hook by the door before turning on the light in the kitchen. He took out his phone and dialed the familiar number. While he waited for Brian to answer he opened himself a beer.

"Hello" Brian's voiced drifted over the line, grabbing Justin's complete attention.

"Brian" Justin stated calmly, before asking "Why was my check denied?"

"Because that wasn’t  part of our arrangement. Set it aside in case you need anything. You can pay me back as soon as you graduate and have a reliable income" Brian stated as he typed his upcoming presentation for Nike.

Justin felt the speech he had at the tip of his tongue slip away as it registered that Brian was still trying to care for him in his own unique way, even after all the hurt Justin had recently put the man through. It made his heart race.

"Okay" Justin murmured.

"So what has Sunshine been up to lately?" Brian questioned, not wanting the younger man to hang up. Not that Brian Kinney would ever admit to such things.

"I helped my mother over the weekend and I've been working a lot" Justin answered, aware that he was being sucked into the Kinney charm. "And you?"

"I’m currently working on a Nike presentation" Brian answered, and as Justin held the phone closer to his ear sure enough he could hear the clicking of Brian's fingers gently typing away. "Just do it" Brian said with a snort at the old slogan.

"I thought you came up with that" Justin teased, knowing Brian's motto as he lay down on his sofa waiting for Brian's response.

"Before my time" Brian answered smiling, as they continued to banter back forth for the next hour. Conversation flowed easily between the two, as if the past few months hadn’t happened.

"Want to go for drinks next Friday at Timberline?" Brian suggested as their conversation was drawling to a close, completely unaware that he had asked Justin on their first date.

"Sure" Justin answered after a brief pause.

"Pick you up at seven" Brian offered, anticipation settling at the bottom of his stomach, not caring how much it sounded like a date.

“Okay” Justin agreed.

“Later” Brian said, hanging up as soon as he heard Justin return the parting words.