Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

At the beginning of summer break Justin doubled his shifts at Mike’s Steakhouse so he’d be able to hand over a payment to Brian for his college tuition.

As Justin drove to Daphne's, he was thinking about how Jennifer had managed to surprise him by giving him her old Ford Taurus as a celebration gift for finishing his first year of college.

"I can’t believe you suckered me into helping you." Daphne grumbled, taking a sip of the coffee that Justin handed her as soon as she buckeled her seat belt.

"The paint should be dry" Justin said, ignoring his grouchy friend. She had spent yesterday helping him to finish painting the nursery. They were trying to complete it before his mother returned from her trip with Molly.

Much to Daphne’s dismay, the paint was dry and the room was ready to be assembled.

After two failed attempts, they finished assembling the crib and now lay in the middle of the room resting. Daphne finally asked the question she had put off for months. "It doesn’t bother you that you’re going to be a big brother at twenty, that your mom’s having another child? I mean, you’ve been completely calm about it, which I hate to say J is so, so unlike you."

"It did bother me at first A LOT, it was just so weird." Justin admitted, fiddling with receiving blankets as he organized them. "The thought of my mom having another baby but I couldn’t freak out on her. It’s strange Daphne, but my mom needs me to be okay. Then after awhile, the weirdness went away and now I’m looking forward to meeting the little guy."

"I’ll hang the curtains and put the final touches on the crib, while you put away all of the tiny little necessities." Daphne said, surprised at how her friend had matured without her noticing.

"Then we need to be going, I have to meet Brian at the diner." Justin stated wearily.

"What for?" Daphne asked curiously, since Justin rarely mentioned Brian anymore.

"He wants to discuss the college arrangement we made." Justin answered with a shrug, not really knowing why. He'd received a short voicemail from Brian asking to meet him at the diner.

It didn’t take the two lifelong friends more than a few minutes to put the final touches on the nursery.

Justin dropped Daphne off at her apartment, slipping her the fifty bucks into her purse he had promised her for helping him. Knowing she wouldn't accept the moeny.
Making his was to Liberty Avenue, his hand shook a little from nerves. Dread and delight spread through him at the sight of Brian seated in a booth, patiently waiting for him.

Justin picked up the portfolio containing his grades and final projects, that Brian had requested. Taking a minute to collect his thoughts, Justin squared his shoulders before entering the diner. He moved towards Brian's booth sliding in unnoticed by the other patrons of the small diner; and patiently waited for Brian to end his phone call.

"Justin" Brian greeted softly, letting the name roll off his lips.

"Brian" Justin responded with a tight nervous smile.

"How were your finals?" Brian questioned, keeping up the front he had created, while his eyes did a firm sweep over Justin. He noticed how the summer sun had made Justin's hair blonder and his skin a little darker. He also sported a new haircit that made him look older.

"Fine" Justin answered, feeling awkward. Justin knew he was still suffering from the guilt he had caused by cheating on Brian.

"How is..." Justin cut himself off not sure what to say, which caused Brian's lips to twitch in amusement at his awkwardness. "I completed everything ahead of schedule; my drawling class was difficult but I was surprised when I passed and did so well." Justin rambled in the silence as Brian flicked through Justin's artwork.

Brian nodded respectfully. For the first time in three months everything felt right, as Justin continued to ramble on about school. He hated the lingering pain that would wash over when he remembered that he was no longer a regular figure in Justin's life. Why in the world had he pushed the teen away in the first place?

"What are you thinking of taking next semester?" Brian asked, one eyebrow rising in curiosity.

"I haven’t decided, but I really would like to take a life drawling class" Justin answered. Brian found that he enjoyed watching the joy in Justin's eyes as he talked over his artwork and possible classes.

"After you decide what classes you’ll be taking, drop the bill by the loft." Brian said. He shot Justin a proud smile over his grades and finals.

"You don’t need to pay; I’ll take out a real school loan." Justin answered, shocking the older man still for a second.

"What, your new boyfriend doesn’t want you accepting money from your ex?" Brian spat, feeling his temper rise. There was no way that the little twat of a fiddle player was going to interfere with Justin's education, not over Brian's dead body.

"What boyfriend?" Justin snapped back, taking in Brian's surprised features, but he looked away, missing the spark of delight that the news brought Brian. "I just don’t feel comfortable…"

Brian cut Justin off before he could finish his sentences "We had a deal and it doesn’t matter to me how uncomfortable you are now. Just because we don’t fuck anymore doesn’t mean I won’t pay for your education as long as you keep your grades up. You’ll pay me back once you graduate." Brian seethed. Few things in his life were a priority, but somewhere along the line Justin's education had become important to the older man. He really did want to watch Justin become the best homosexual he could be, and a proper education was important.

Justin nodded, giving Brian a sunshine smile in relief. "I’ll know in a few weeks." Justin said, knowing better than to say anything sentimental when Brian was being defensive.

Justin stood and placed a yellow envelope on the table with a thousand dollars and a piece of paper showing the current amount Justin owed Brian minus the thousand dollars, and a small handmade thank you card attached with a portrait of Gus and Brian in the park.