Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

It took Brian a few days to piece together the fact that Justin no longer worked at the diner. At first he was relieved, but as life started to fall back into a routine , Brian found himself missing the twink that he had twisted, bended and broken his rules for.

It had now been a full month since Justin stopped by his loft and removed all traces of himself from Brian’s life.

"Has anyone seen Sunshine lately?" Brian asked lightly, taking a sip of beer while watching Michael and Emmett play pool.

"I chatted with Justin on Sunday. We had a wonderful discussion about that new gay television show," Emmett supplied with a knowing smile.

"Next time you two chat," Brian spat out the word chat. "tell Mr. Sunshine I need to talk with him personally about an arrangement we have." Brian said blandly, schooling his features to appear almost bored. Underneath his calm exterior he was rather proud of himself that the excuse was a perfect way to keep in contact and with Justin.

"No problem, sweet tart" Emmett said, grinning cheekily at Brian.
----
Justin entered his apartment, tossing his messenger bag by the front door and placing his latest finished piece on the kitchen counter. He picked up his forgotten cell phone and noticed it was blinking, signaling two missed calls - from Daphne and Emmett. At least there wasn’t one from his mother; she always became upset with him for his bad habit of forgetting his phone.

Justin sighed, wondering what Emmett wanted; he was the only person from Brian’s group of friends who refused to let him fade into the background.

Justin's life at the moment was hectic with finals, work and helping his mom prepare for the baby. He found he had little time to dwell on Brian, but when he did, he missed him with a fierceness that tore at his soul. Justin had learned the hard way that no matter how much you love someone, you can’t make them love you back the way you want them to; that cheating wasn’t going to fill the void he had created in his own heart.

It was his first Friday night off since he started his new job at the steakhouse and he decided that he might as well go out and enjoy himself.

He changed into the pair of old black jeans and an even older light blue fitted tee shirt that Daphne swore time and time again was made just for him. Picking up his cell phone he texted his lifelong best friend "Going to Babylon, wanna cum?"

"Dirty Justin! Be there in thirty or so"  Daphne replied in a flash.

As Justin lounged around his apartment waiting for Daphne, a part of him was a ball of nervous excitement ready to finally go out and cut loose. The first month of living on his own was a shock to the young man; the lights and sounds at night startled him. His nightmares had increased but he was learning  to cope.

By the end of the month he was able to turn off almost all the lights in his place and the nightmares had slowly decreased. Justin was struggling over his decision to figure out what he wanted. He did know that he needed his distance from Brian to de-cloud his head. He loved him, wanted him and missed him but he knew Brian wasn’t ready to admit he wanted Justin in his life as a permanent figure, something Justin knew he couldn’t live with again.
A light knock on the door startled Justin out of his thoughts. As he glanced through the peephole a sunshine smile graced his face and he pulled the door open to reveal a smoking Daphne.

"Let’s go J, you promised me dancing and an excellent evening out." Daphne said, throwing her arms over Justin's shoulder as they stood outside Babylon.

"Sure I did" Justin said with a teasing smile as he led her through the doors letting the thumpa thumpa wash over him. There was something about stepping through the doors of Babylon that seemed to wash away all of Justin's worries and stresses. He didn’t need the tricks or blow jobs, just a few good dance partners and a little liquor to cut loose.

With Daphne's hand in his they made their way to the dance floor. It didn’t take Justin long to lose himself in the music. They spent the next hour dancing, Justin never noticing the pair of hazel eyes that refused to look away from the duo.

"Let’s go Daph" Justin said, interrupting Daphne's interesting conversation with a group of lesbian women who seemed to be in awe of her sweet nature and sassy wit.
"Hold on Justin." Daphne said, shushing her best friend.  She was having a blast talking with the young couple. "Go get us water; I’ll be along in a minute."

Justin sat at the bar, sipping  jack and coke as he watched his best friend flirt with the crowd around her. It was an amusing sight to behold.

"Sunshine" Emmett squealed hugging the blond tightly, having not seen the teen since his last day at the diner. "How have you been sugar? Are you here with any of these gorgeous young morsels? Oh baby! I have missed you, and the gang just isn’t the same. What brings you to Babylon this fine evening?" Emmett gushed as soon as he let go.
"I’ve been good Em, love my new job." Justin said pausing, trying to remember all the questions Emmett had asked. "I’m here with Daphne to celebrate my first Friday off."

"Come dance with me honey-bottom, Daphne is currently neglecting her duties and it’s up to me to fill in. So dance we must." Emmett said motioning for Sunshine to follow him.

Hazel eyes grew darker with jealously as Emmett's hand lowered a little too far. Too many question popping up and not enough answers made Kinney a frustrated man. Why was Justin here alone? Where was the fiddler? Didn't the fiddler know that Babylon wasn't the safest place for someone as hot as Justin?

Brian tried to convince himself that the only reason he wouldn’t take his eyes off Justin was for the blond boy's safety. He ignored the aching feeling as he watched Justin collect Daphne from her group of admirers and exit Babylon.

"You do realize, Justin, that Brian Kinney never took his eyes off you the entire time you where on the dance floor," Daphne said with a giggle. It was apparent that the young woman was a three sheets to the wind.

"He didn't?" The thought of Brian’s eyes on him sent a thrill down his spine and lit ignited a small spark of hope that just maybe Brian missed him too.