Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction


The changes in Justin and Brian's  lives were happening slowly enough that every step seemed natural to them. Six months later and they had fallen into a familiar routine of date nights, family nights and nights spent apart. The nights apart always were harder on Brian. Even though he enjoyed going to Babylon and Woody’s with the gang they were slowly losing their appeal at an alarming rate.

Brian grew to like date night which was scheduled for every other Friday. Brian realized that Justin had to arrange a sitter and adjust his schedule, but damn did he smile when Brian would arrive dressed to the nines. Not that Brian would ever admit to anyone, especially Justin, but he chased after that smile of Justin’s.

Convincing Justin to go on that first date had been harder than Brian anticipated but he had pulled it off in true Kinney fashion. A little trickery, a plan without flaw and Grandma Deb were all it took to get Justin to himself for an evening. The first few dates were rocky as they both adjusted to the changes in their relationship.

Justin still wasn’t quite over his shock when Brian suggested that they make it a regular thing. Some date nights were spent at the loft fucking in every possible position, others included dinner, some were trips to the theater to see R rated films. At least twice they spent date night at Babylon with the gang, not that their group of friends knew that it was a date. No one ever questioned the two when they left together hand in hand.

But tonight wasn’t a date night; no, tonight was a scheduled night apart right after a two day business trip to Chicago. Brian grew bored with Babylon at around one and returned to the loft, where he promptly crawled into bed. After an hour of tossing and turning his phone buzzed on the night stand.

"Hello" Brian answered groggily.

"Did I wake you?" Justin asked, slightly frantic. Brian could barely hear him over the screaming baby in the background.

"No, I’m awake. What’s wrong?" Brian asked as his heart sped up in panic.

"He refuses to go to sleep," Justin said wearily, "Could you come over...please." He was unsure if he should ask but exhaustion and a desperate need for sleep won out over his stubbornness.

"Sure." Brian said already out of bed and pulling his pants on. "I’ll be there in fifteen."

Brian didn’t bother with knocking. He placed his key in the lock and entered the house quietly, to be welcomed by the loud screams of an eleven month old boy.

Justin smiled tiredly as soon as he noticed Brian in the doorway of the nursery.

"BOO....BOO...BOO"" Gracin screamed at the top of his lungs, in the middle of a major tantrum.

"Gracin Matthew...Gracin," Brian said stepping into the room, calling out to the screaming boy
who stopped and whipped his tiny head in Brian’s direction before before lifting his hands towards him and squealing "BOO!"

Brian kissed Justin on the temple before taking the boy from his arms.

"Sounds like you’ve been a naughty little guy while Boo was gone."

Justin snickered at Brian as he referred to himself as Boo, a nickname that Gracin had dubbed him with two months earlier. "I’ve got this Justin, go to bed," Brian said as he and Gracin pushed the tired twenty year old out of the room.

Justin climbed into bed and listened to Brian read to Gracin through the baby monitor. "I’ll make you a deal Gracin. One story in trade for a good night's sleep...Goodnight room. Goodnight moon. Goodnight cow jumping over the moon. Goodnight light, and the red balloon..."

Justin snapped awake when he felt the bed deepen and Brian's arms wrap around him. "I’m sorry." He whispered as he rolled over and eased his body around Brian’s. "I know you didn’t sign on for this, he just hasn’t slept much the last few days and he wouldn’t stop screaming for you tonight. I probably shouldn’t have caved, I think he just got used to your routine with him." Justin muttered exhausted, as he lifted his head and looked into Brian’s hazel eyes, unsure what to do.

Brian’s brow creased at Justin’s words. He knew Gracin had gotten into the routine of letting Brian put him to bed. Bedtime had become their thing when Brian was over. He and Justin thought it was funny that Gracin wanted Brian to put him to bed though he wouldn’t let anyone but Justin take care of him in the middle of the night or in the morning.

"It’s fine Justin," Brian said. "How about I make sure I’m here every night for bedtime until he grows out of this phase."

"You’d do that?" Justin asked gobsmacked.

"Yes" Brian said ignoring Justin’s shock. "Go to sleep Justin, your little monster will be awake in seven hours max."

"K...love you" Justin mumbled half asleep.

As soon as Justin's breathing was even and steady and Brian knew he was in a deep sleep he whispered to the sleeping man. "I love you too."