Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

April [2009]

Brian walked through the front door of Britin after a long day at work. Not having Cynthia there for the day, it took longer then normal. It wasn't that he couldn't handle everything for the day without his assistant, but he was distracted for most of the day. Cynthia had called in sick and then Brian called Justin to have him go and check on her. They had all just moved into Britin together, and found out that Cynthia was pregnant, all last month.

 

"Justin? Cyn?" He called out.

 

"Kitchen!" Justin yelled back.

 

Brian pulled off his suit jacket and hung it up in the hall closet before making his way down the hall and into the kitchen. He found Justin standing at the stove, heating something up. Justin turned to him and smiled. Brian knew right away that something was wrong.

 

"Justin." Brian stood on the other side of the island from his husband.

 

"I took Cynthia to the hospital this afternoon when she was complaining of cramps."

 

Brian swallowed and Justin continued, "She had a miscarriage."

 

"Why... why didn't you call me?"

 

"I did. I called about ten times but you never answered or returned my call." Justin replied, "I even called your office but that new assistant said you were in a meeting and wouldn't go and get you, even when I told him it was an emergency."

 

Brian pulled his cell phone out of his pocket and cursed, "It's dead. I didn't even realize it. I was so busy I just never checked the phone myself." He turned back to Justin, "How is she doing?"

 

"Asleep in her room. The doctor says she should rest for a couple of days."

 

Brian nodded, "How are you holding up?"

 

"I'm okay." Justin nodded, "We knew this could happen."

 

"But it doesn't make it easier when it does, Sunshine." Brian walked around the island and pulled Justin into a tight hug.

 

Justin wrapped his arms around Brian's waist and tucked his head under Brian's chin, his face hidden in his neck. Instantly, he started crying hard.  Brian tightening his arms around his husband and just let him cry. He still wasn't really good with the comforting sort of thing and he was a big part of what was happening. He was pissed off beyond belief on the inside for his phone being dead and Justin not being able to get a hold of him. He's angry with the new assistant they hired until Cynthia could return, who he knew would be fired before morning. But he had to keep his anger at bay for himself and for Justin and for Cynthia.

 

Finally, Justin pulled away and wiped at his eyes, "I heated up the soup I made for Cyn and I when we got home. Go ahead and help yourself."

 

Brian smiled and kissed his forehead, "I'm going to go and check on Cyn first."

 

"Okay. I'm going to go to my studio for a while."

 

"Don't push your hand to hard. I know how you get when something is bothering you." Brian kissed Justin lightly on the lips before following him down the hall.

 

Brian turned a corner in the hall and headed for Cynthia's room. They had decided to give her the only guest bedroom on the first floor for when she would have trouble getting up and down the stairs. He knocked on Cynthia's bedroom door before entering to find her sitting up in bed and reading. She smiled at him and he returned the smile as he stepped into the room and walked over to the bed, sitting on the edge.

 

* * * * * * * * * *

 

"How are you three holding up?" Mel asked as she sat down on the front porch with Brian.

 

"Cynthia is doing better. Returning back to work tomorrow." Brian pulled out his cigarettes.

 

"And you and Justin?"

 

"It's not easy but we know we'll be able to try again next month."

 

"Is that why he's not here for dinner this week?"

 

Brian shook his head as he stood, "He's with Daph and Hank for the weekend." He held out his hand to help Melanie up.

 

They both returned to the house after Brian finished his cigarette. They had all just finished dinner and were all now lounging in the living room with dessert when Brian went out for a smoke. It had been a week since Cynthia had the miscarriage. It had taken a toll on all three of them but they have been able to get through it together.

 

* * * * * * * * * *

 

Justin huffed and collapsed onto the couch with Daphne.

 

"You had to read the whole chapter?" Daphne asked, as Justin laid his head on her shoulder.

 

Justin laughed, "Yes. Every other page it seemed like he was asleep but when I would stop and close the book he'd open his eyes and tell me to keep reading."

 

Daphne nodded, "He started that about two weeks ago. It doesn't happen every night but every once in a while he keeps himself awake to hear the whole chapter."

 

"Even though he has that book memorized."

 

"Blame Brian for reading that to him whenever he took him for a night. He got our son addicated to Harry Potter."

 

"It's an addicting story. It's not a problem." Justin closed his eyes.

 

"So how are you and Brian doing?"

 

"We're okay. It's been a rough week but we're doing okay."

 

"And Cynthia?"

 

"She kept apologizing like it was her fault. Brian finally snapped and yelled at her after the third time and she stopped."

 

"It wasn't her fault."

 

"We all know that." Justin yawned, "I think it's time to eat a bunch of junk food until we pass out."

 

Daphne laughed, "I remember when that line use to be it's time to get drunk and high until we pass out."

 

"Yeah, but we've got a kid that could wake up and we need to be alert."

 

"I know that."

 

"Then go get the food woman!" Justin pushed at his best friend to get her off the couch.

 

Laughing, Daphne got up and headed for the kitchen for all the snack foods she could find for them to munch on through out the night.