Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

July [2009]

Brian unlocked the front door and stepped inside, followed by his son. Gus waved goodbye to his mother before taking off down the hall for the media room. Melanie left in her car as Brian shut the door and locked it again. He turned and was greeted by a smiling, now three year old, holding what look like a small fluffy ball of white fur with big green eyes. Brian inwardly groaned as Henry sat the kitten down and reached for Brian.

 

"Up Dad!"

 

Brian sat his suitcase and briefcase down in the hall and picked the small boy up, hugging him to his chest and kissing his cheek.

 

"I see Mommy and Daddy let you get the cat."

 

Henry smirked and nodded, "Ouse."

 

"What?"

 

"He said mouse." Cynthia came walking into the hall, "It's the cat's name. You're back early."

 

Brian sat Henry back down and picked his things up, heading for the master bedroom, "Finished early. Gus is in the media room."

 

"Yeah, I was in there watching a movie. I let his take over the game system." Cynthia followed with Henry and the kitten hot on their heels.

 

"Is he in the studio?"

 

"All morning." Cynthia stopped at her bedroom door, "It's nice that the studio is kind of sound proof so it doesn't disturb the whole house."

 

Brian smirked, "How are you feeling?"

 

"The morning sickness is kicking my ass." Cynthia laughed, "The last appointment on Monday went fine. The baby is doing good."

 

Brian nodded before heading for the bedroom. He sat his things on the floor, deciding to unpack later, or just have Justin do that for him. When he turned to head for the studio, Henry and the kitten were right there. Laughing, Brian picked the boy up again and carried him with him back out of the room. Henry always liked to follow Brian around now. Sometimes it annoyed the older man, but most of the time he thought it was adorable (and he was never going to tell anyone he thought that either).

 

He could here the jingle of the cat's collar as they made their way down the hall for Justin's studio. Brian was wondering where Ripper was and if the dog has tried to eat the kitten yet. Reaching the studio, Brian opened the door without knocking, knowing that if Justin was painting, he wouldn't hear him anyway. The music filled his ears as he stepped inside and Henry quickly covered his own ears with his hands. Brian made a beeline for the stereo and turned it down, getting Justin's attention.

 

"Hey!" Justin broke out in his sunshine smile, "You're home!"

 

"I am." Brian sat Henry down again and the boy ran to his corner of the studio where Justin had set up an easel and paints for him.

 

"Henry, Mouse isn't allowed in here remember." Justin looked between his son and the kitten.

 

"Oh." Henry picked up the cat and marched to the door, dumping it onto the floor before slamming the door closed.

 

Brian winced, finding himself hoping the cat didn't get hurt. He turned his attention back to his husband as Henry returned to his easel.

 

"You let him name a cat, Mouse?"

 

Justin shrugged, "Daphne was with him when he picked it out at the shelter. He had that stuffed mouse that Gus gave him from New York when he was sick last year and when Daph asked what he was going to name it for the paperwork, he shouted Mouse."

 

Brian wrapped his arms around his husband's shoulders, "And why is the thing in our house?"

 

"He screamed and had a tantrum when Daphne dropped him off. He didn't want to part from the cat."

 

"Has Ripper tried eating it?" Brian grinned.

 

"Yes and that is why he's out in the backyard with a bone."

 

"Good dog." Brian rested his chin on the top of Justin's head.

 

"Brian!" Justin laughed as he swatted at Brian's head, "It's adorable."

 

"And you're allergic."

 

"That's why I'm not letting the thing in here."

 

"But the fur and dandrif will be all over the house."

 

"The cleaning lady is coming tomorrow."

 

"Why did Ripper have to be thrown outside. Throw Mouse out there instead."

 

"Oh my God, Brian! The cat will be gone before tonight when Kurt comes to pick Henry up."

 

"How long has he been here?"

 

"Two days." Justin replied, "Daphne needed some down time and Kurt was out of town again. On his way back today he's picking him up."

 

"Fine but I'm not responsible for what happens if Ripper accidentally gets back inside and eats the damn thing." Brian pulled away and headed for the door.

 

"Hey, where are you going?"

 

"To beat Gus at that new video game again." Brian called as he left the studio, closing the door before the snowball cat could get back inside.

 

Huffing a laugh, Justin was about to turn back to his own painting when he caught Henry out of the corner of his eye. The three year old had the red, blue and green paints opened and dumped on the floor. Using his hands, he was coloring on the easel, himself and everywhere else his hands could reach. Justin groaned and turned back to his own work, deciding to just let Henry have fun, thanking whoever that he had remembered to lock his paintings up in the room across from the studio and out of reach of the three year old.

 

An hour later, Brian had Henry in the bath, Justin was cleaning the studio and Cynthia and Gus were making a late lunch for them all. Brian leaned against the small tub that separated Gus' and Henry's rooms. Henry was currently playing with a toy truck that Brian had given to him to stop the tantrum of not allowing Mouse to take a bath with him. Brian knew better then to let that damn thing near the water with so many sharp teeth and claws. He didn't care about himself getting clawed to hell, but Henry was a different story.

 

"Hank, I need to you lean back a little so I can rinse out your hair."

 

Henry listened and leaned back. Brian held him so he wouldn't fall backwards into the water like he had decided to the first time he had a bath in the new house. It didn't go over well and it had just been worse to get him to bathe ever since. Brian grabbed the cup and quickly rinsed the kid's hair before pushing him back into a sitting position.

 

"Dad, lunch is ready." Gus yelled through the door.

 

"We'll be down in a minute." Brian called back, pulling the plug on the tub and standing to grab the towel.

 

Henry stood and allowed Brian to wrap the towel around him and pull him out of the tub, sitting him on the floor. Brian turned to grab the baby lotion, which was a mistake because when he turned back the bathroom door was open and Henry was gone. Brian could hear his giggling as he ran down the hall, the towel forgotten on the bathroom floor.

 

Minutes later, Brian walked into the kitchen with Henry's clean clothes, the towel and the baby lotion to find the kid sitting at the table, still dripping wet. Cynthia and Gus were standing at the counter, trying not to laugh. Brian turned to his husband, who was standing by the table, not trying to cover his laughing.

 

"You took your eyes off him." Justin stated.

 

"I forgot."

 

Justin nodded, "I'll get him dressed."

 

Brian mumbled something under his breath that caused everyone to start laughing as he handed everything over to Justin before plopping down in a chair across the table from them. It wasn't long before Henry was dried and dressed and they were all sitting around the table, eating the sandwiches Cynthia and Gus had made for them all.