Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction



The drive to the loft was for the most part a silent one, but a comfortable silence. Both Brian and Justin were pondering on their own thoughts.

Brian was glad to be taking Justin home. Home. He smiled at this. The loft was only really home when Justin was there. The brunette also knew his younger partner was extremely curious as to what he and Mother Taylor were planning… Justin was practically bouncing in his seat. Too bad he wouldn’t get any answers out of him.

Brian was right. Justin sat beside him in the car planning different ways to find out what was going on between his mother and Brian. Maybe if he snooped around the loft, he could find something to give him a clue to what was going on. Brian’s voice broke through his thoughts.

“We’re home, Sunshine. Come on let’s get you inside.”

Brian helped Justin up the front steps and in to the lift. Once they reached the loft, Brian walked ahead and pulled the door open turning to Justin,

“Home, sweet home.”

Justin’s eyes immediately started darting around looking for clues. Brian laughed softly beside him. He ran fingers through the blonde’s hair which had started growing out a bit again.

“Give that gerbil in your head a rest. You’re not going to find out anything until tomorrow, Justin.”

Justin looked at Brian and pouted for a few seconds before deciding to leave it for now. He was getting tired anyway. When he had his strength back, he could try questioning Brian. Brian noticed the sleepy look in his blue eyes and gently led him to the bedroom.

“Come on. Why don’t we lie down for a while, hmm?”

Brian pulled back the covers as Justin slowly stripped with Brian soon assisting him. The blonde caught his partner’s hand to get his attention.

“Will you stay with me?” The question was asked so softly that Brian almost missed it. He smiled at the bent head. It was Justin’s first night out of the hospital since the bombing and even if this was home, he was allowed to feel a little uncertain.

“You have to ask?” was all Brain answered while stripping. He climbed in behind Justin and wrapped his arms around his blonde. The younger man instantly relaxed and leaned back into the embrace.

Lying in Brian’s arms, Justin’s mind began to wander. Mel and Lindsay’s first visit came to mind as he thought about his most recent stay in hospital.

FLASH

Justin was sitting up in bed with Brian sitting in the chair beside him. Lindsay and Melanie walked into the room and headed straight for Justin. Neither of them noticed Brian, they were so focused on the blonde.

“Honey, are you okay? Do you need anything? How are you feeling?” Lindsay was in full mothering mode and it irritated Justin that she still wanted to treat him like he was a kid.

“Fuck, Lids. Let him breathe before you start the inquisition,” Brian commented.

Lindsay looked so shocked you could have knocked her over with a feather. Melanie just smiled and nodded at Brian. She finally understood him.

“Brian. What are you doing here?”

“Where else did you expect me to be Lindsay?”

Justin and Melanie were silently watching the verbal tennis match between the long time friends.

“I thought you would have still left on your trip. You know. Just catch a later flight.”

“What the fuck, Lids? If Mel had been injured in the blast where would you be right now?” Brian was truly angry now. He knew that Lindsay was often blind when it came to his relationship with Justin but he had had no idea that she had such a low opinion of him.

Lindsay replied, still not grasping the implications, “At her beside. But Brian I don’t get what that has to do with why you’re here. It’s not the same for you and Justin.”

“Justin is my PARTNER. I’m staying with my partner in hospital until he’s well enough to come home.”

Lindsay looked confused, “But Brian…”

Melanie interrupted her before Brian or Justin could do any damage.
“Justin we hope that you recover quickly. We’ll come and visit again, bring Gus with us.” Turning to Lindsay she held onto her wife’s arm as she steered her out the room, “Come along Linds, let’s get home to the kids.”

Mel led a confused Lindsay out the hospital and hoped that maybe this time, when she explained it, the blonde woman would get it. Otherwise she just might lose Brian’s friendship. This time it looked like Brian was holding nothing back. About damn time too.

FLASH

Brian felt Justin twitch in his arms and glanced at the blonde head tucked under his chin. “What are you smiling about?” he asked suspiciously

“The first time Mel and Lindsay came to visit me.”

“And what about that memory could possibly be funny.

“It’s not funny. It’s just that you stood up for us.”

That was all that needed to be said. Brian understood what Justin was talking about and why he was smiling. They lay in each other’s arms and drifted off to sleep with smiles on their faces eagerly awaiting tomorrow, both happy to be home and in each other’s arms where they belonged.