Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

Will Alex finally become a permanent member of the family? 

 

 

One Month Later - Britin

 

 

"Well, come one, come all," Brian intoned dryly as he stood next to his father, the two of them watching the horde of people that had converged at Britin. "The circus has officially arrived." The large circle of family mingling around the back patio, the tennis courts, and in the pool were not only present for a celebration to observe the state's approval of Alex's adoption petition - which was proceeding slowly but smoothly, in part due to Mrs. Morales' support - but also to welcome home Mel and Lindsay and their two children, both of whom were presently in the shallow end of the swimming pool, along with Alex, who was delighting in squirting Gus with a Nerf water pistol, at least when she could.  Gus was proving to be fairly adept at hiding behind others to avoid being her target, with Emmett finding himself hit full in the face several times by a stream of water from her gun, sputtering as Drew laughed over his expression. Being as tall as he was, however, Emmett was proving to be an excellent shield. 

 

 

Michael was next to JR, helping her to stay afloat as she tried to learn how to doggie paddle with inflatable wings attached to her upper arms, while the two mothers sat at one of the round patio tables, conversing with Debbie and Jennifer about the latest happenings around town that they had missed while they had been gone.

 

 

Ted and Blake were presently on the tennis courts nearby, playing a rousing game as the ball flew rapidly back and forth between them, both men proving to be quite competitive at the sport.

 

 

Meanwhile, Molly was lounging in a nearby chaise lounge trying to improve her tan, even though both Justin and their mom had cautioned her against staying in the sun too long due to her pale skin.  Ben was manning the grill with Carl, cooking the hamburgers and hot dogs, in addition to a couple of turkey burgers and tofu patties for himself and Brian.

 

 

A full spread was prepared and sitting on top of the kitchen island just inside the back doorway, ready to bring out as soon as the meat was done.  Sean was cranking up the table umbrellas to obtain some much-needed shade for everyone who was about to eat, while Kathy, Brian's grandmother, was in the house, preparing some more iced tea after the first pitcher had quickly been consumed, the cold beverage being a welcome addition on an abnormally warm day for late fall. 

 

 

Justin had chosen to stand several feet away in the backyard, having set up an easel as he worked on a painting to commemorate the chaotic but festive scene, Tony keeping him company as he worked while the two chatted away amiably like the two good friends that they had become.  Occasionally, Justin and Tony would both steal a glance over at their respective partners and smile at them - making Brian and Fin assume they were the topic of conversation - before resuming their talking, which was periodically punctuated with a laugh or a waving of their arms for emphasis.  It was all so very ordinary in a way - but also extraordinary, too, considering what everyone present had been through since Justin and Brian's honeymoon. That seemed like a lifetime ago to everyone by now. So much had happened, both good and bad. But that was what Life threw at you; the highs and the lows, and as Debbie had once said, you had to treasure the happy moments, for they could be few at times. 

 

 

Brian smiled as he peered over at his son, thinking silently that this was indeed one of the 'happy moments,' before he felt Fin's hand on his shoulder. He peered over at him as his father commented, "Feels good." 

 

 

Brian frowned slightly. "What?"

 

 

Fin smiled as his gaze swept over the crowd of people. People that not so long ago would have all been total strangers, but now were considered friends and family to him.  "This," he replied softly.  "This...domesticity.  This normalcy." 

 

 

Brian scoffed.  "Normalcy?  Not in this group!" He vowed.  Fin grinned at his son as Brian admitted, "But maybe those things aren't so bad."  He, too, looked around at the group of people he knew - and loved - so well.  "It's almost..."  He struggled for the right word before continuing.  "...surreal.  Yeah.  Surreal when you think about it.  Me finding out that I had a father," he began as Fin eyed him intently.  "All that shit that went down with good old Marv, Stewart, and Stockwell during your campaign.  Both of us getting close to being killed along the way, too."  He paused before adding, "Now Justin's father...nothing that son of a bitch would ever do is surprising," he admitted, knowing him far too long, and far too well.  "Unless he actually decided to accept Justin for the amazing man that he is, but I know THAT will never happen."  He looked over then at his husband, who abruptly laughed at something Tony said, bestowing his trademark, blinding smile on his friend, and making Brian's heart thump in his chest.  Justin would never truly realize what a heart stopping smile he had...almost literally. But whenever he smiled that radiant smile of his, it always had the same effect on Brian that it had had from the very beginning - and he knew it always would.

 

 

He shook his head in disbelief as he looked over at the pool, currently the scene of laughter and squeals from both Alex and Gus. He couldn't help smiling as he noticed the look of utter happiness on both their faces. "But Alex...I mean, even thinking about adopting a kid, let alone a 'smart alecky clone of myself,' as Justin likes to call her," he continued as Fin chuckled, "...I would have told anyone who had hinted at even one tenth of what has happened over the past several months that they were fucking crazy."  He held up his hands up in a 'bank robbery' sort of motion before dropping them to his sides.  "But here we are.  And it's all real...Mr. Governor."  To have a father - and one who was now the leader over the entire state of Pennsylvania, no less - was probably the most incredible part of it all.

 

 

Fin chuckled.  "Yeah...sometimes even I think I'm dreaming about THAT part.  But all the media and people constantly following me around remind me that I'm not. At least as long as I'm here at your place, though, my security guys know they can let their guard down a little, and stay outside the perimeter, instead of constantly nipping at my heels like a pack of jackals." 

 

 

Brian grinned.  "Apt description for them," he agreed before adding, "...and the media," earning a nod from his father.  He sighed, threading his fingers through his hair, as he commented, "At least the court system had the good sense not to let that bastard Stewart out on bail.  There's no fucking way that man could ever be rehabilitated, in my opinion, no matter HOW many meds they put him on."  Stewart had appeared for his competency hearing as scheduled, neatly attired in a suit and tie and meticulously groomed as if he were some typical businessman making a sales call instead of being an inmate...and had promptly been denied both a trial and bail.  Thankfully, mainly by the luck of the draw, he had come up against one of the strictest judges in the court system, and with Tony offering to help the prosecution with their case pro bono, Stewart had found himself facing some formidable opponents, resulting in him being sent back to the hospital for further treatment, meaning he wouldn't be eligible for another competency hearing for at least another year; perhaps two years, depending upon his psychological evaluations during that time.

 

 

"Yes," Fin agreed.  "That's a big worry off my mind.  You know, Regina surprised me at the hearing, though." 

 

 

Brian frowned.  "How so?" 

 

 

"She told me after he was denied a hearing that even if he had been granted bail, she wouldn't have put up her house as collateral, or used any of her savings. She told me that as much as she loves her son, she said she wouldn't have felt right enabling him that way, whether he was ruled sane or not.  She said she would never forget how I had kept her job open after what had happened, and she told me he would have to make his own path.  She would emotionally support him. But not financially.  And...she even admitted that she didn't think he was quite rational yet; at least not enough to help in his own defense.  She visits him all the time, and even she thought he wasn't ready yet." 

 

 

Brian's eyes widened. "That IS a surprise.  But now we won't have to worry about it again, Fin; at least not for a while.  That bastard won't get out anytime soon. And when his next hearing does come up, you can fucking bet that I will be there to watch his every move." 

 

 

Fin nodded as he gazed over at his partner and his son-in-law.  "I will, too," he vowed, realizing how much both of them had to lose. "If anything ever happened to Tony..."  His breath caught in his throat merely at the thought as he gazed over at his beautiful lover, still chattering away with Justin.  He had almost lost the son he had never even known he had; he wasn't about to lose anyone that he loved, including his partner or his son.  And now he had a precious grandson, and for all intents and purposes a granddaughter, too.  He even considered Kathy and Sean as part of his family; they continued to treat him as their virtual son-in-law, despite having no actual binding relationship to him.  But they DID all share one common theme:  Brian.  If it hadn't been for Lydia and him, there would have never been a Brian; a man he had grown to love deeply and a man he was distinctly proud of.  He peered over thoughtfully at the younger version of himself and smiled as he considered how lucky he was in a lot of ways. 

 

 

"What?" Brian asked, his brow furrowed as he noticed the intense look in his father's eyes.

 

 

Fin shook his head slightly, his face warming at being caught.   "Nothing," he mumbled, feeling inexplicably flustered.  He rarely felt that way; after all, like most politicians he normally was quite glib and rarely at a loss for words.  But with his son...with Brian, it was different. 

 

 

"Fin..."

 

 

Fin couldn't help smirking at that in an exact imitation of his son as he took a deep breath and decided to plunge in.  "That's what.  Do you ever think you might consider calling me something else besides Fin?  And I don't mean Mr. Governor, either." 

 

 

Brian arched an eyebrow in surprise at him; that was not a question he had been anticipating. He wasn't sure what he had been expecting, but it hadn't been that.  He stood there silently, thinking of his relationship with a man he had thought had been his father; the man he had called "Pops." He had tried so hard to do whatever Jack Kinney had wanted to make him love him, to be proud of him; to support him.  But no matter what he had done - as a child or an adult - it had never been good enough for him.  All he had achieved for his efforts were slurs over his sexuality, physical beatings, and emotional torment.

 

 

As he stared at the man who he now knew was truly his father in every way, he pondered Fin's question.  He WAS sure of one thing:  he would never call his real father "Pops."  To him that would be like a type of profanity; a disrespectful profanity to someone like Fin, who was a decent man, unlike Jack Kinney.  No, he wouldn't bestow that name on anyone that he admired and respected; perhaps even loved, if he were ever to admit it to himself. Fin had never asked him for much of anything, except for his help during his contentious political campaign.  That, and a wish to try and build some sort of relationship with him.  And he had to admit; Fin had accomplished that - and more. But was he ready to take such a big step?  He wasn't some young child anymore; he was an adult. 

 

 

Fin - sensing his hesitation - squeezed Brian's shoulder before letting go of it to drop his hand to his side.  "It's okay," he assured him, feeling a little foolish.  This wasn't a little boy he was talking to; this was a self-assured, confident, successful man in his own right.  It was too late to talk about such nonsense now.  Up until it had escaped his lips, he hadn't realized it had been something he had wanted, even.  But to his amazement, he did.  He had never thought he would have wanted a son - not until one was unexpectedly thrust his way.  And not only had he found a son that he had grown to respect and admire, but he also had been gifted with a grandson he loved dearly, as well as the best partner any man could ever have.  He was slowly beginning to get to know Alex better, also. "I understand..."

 

 

"No," Brian replied quietly, a shy sort of smile ghosting over his face as he interrupted his father.  He shook his head.  "It's not that," he told him softly.  "I have always called you Fin. I...never thought about calling you anything else."  Fin looked at him curiously, wondering where Brian was heading, until he heard him say, "But maybe I should.  After all, most people don't call their fathers by their first name."  He swallowed hard and paused, licking his lips a little nervously as he revealed to Fin, "I used to call the man I thought was my father Pops.  But if it's all the same to you, in addition to 'Fin,' I might occasionally slip in a 'Dad' here or there...that is, if it's okay with you." 

 

 

Fin felt himself tearing up, blinking a couple of times to avoid making a sentimental fool out of himself as he swallowed hard; this sort of reaction was more like Tony would experience than he. But for some reason, he couldn't help it.  He nodded.  "Yeah...that would be more than okay," he finally managed to say as Brian nodded back at him.  Their father-and-son moment was soon interrupted before it became too awkward as Gus yelled over to them.

 

 

"Daddy!" Gus cried out excitedly, his bare feet slapping against the tiled surface as he rushed over, sopping wet, toward his father and Fin.  "Grandpapa is going to take me fishing again!  Are you going with us?" 

 

 

Brian smiled.  "Well, I suppose I could work on my tan just a little more while we're on the boat," he replied, glancing down at his arm to check.  He gripped the top of his son's wet head to keep him from coming any closer until he had a chance to grab a towel from the back of a nearby chaise and wrapped his son in it to keep him from catching a chill, unable to keep from laughing as an indignant Gus told him, arms wrapped around his towel, "Daddy! Fishing is to catch fish!  If you go with grandpapa and me, you can't just sit there and watch us! That's NOT how it works!  Now promise that you will catch fish...or at least try.  Grandpapa and I can show you if you don't know how." 

 

 

Justin couldn't help snickering as Brian glowered at him from several feet away.  "I know how to fish," he informed his son indignantly.  "I roped in a big one several years ago, in fact.  All I had to do was cast my reel...and he came swimming right up to me."  Brian smirked, while Gus frowned in confusion.

 

 

"What kind of fish, Daddy?" 

 

 

Brian grinned as he glanced over at his husband.  "I think it was some kind of Piranha. I know he held on for dear life, and wouldn't let go."

 

 

Justin snorted.  "I think he has that backward," he told Gus.  "I was definitely the one who reeled in the big one.  I just had to use the right bait," he told him as he grinned over at Brian.

 

 

"Jail bait, you mean," Brian quipped under his breath as Justin laughed. 

 

 

"Well, not quite. But it WAS close," he conceded.  Noticing Gus's total look of bafflement, he decided it would be too complicated to actually explain what they were discussing.  Of course, it had nothing at all to do with fishing; at least not the kind Gus was thinking about.  "Don't worry, Gus.  I'll make sure your Daddy has all the fishing equipment he'll need. And you can give him some fishing pointers, okay?"

 

 

Gus nodded his head vigorously.  "Don't worry, Daddy.  If you're rusty, Grandpapa and I can help you."

 

 

Justin bit his lower lip to keep from laughing, but Brian wasn't fooled.  "Go on," he told Justin.  "You just wait.  I'll catch more fish than my grandfather and Gus combined.  And when I get home with them, as the good, dutiful little housewife that you are, you will be in charge of fileting them and cooking them for us three hungry fishermen." 

 

 

Justin huffed in indignation over the 'housewife' reference, just as Brian figured he would, as his nose wrinkled in distaste.  He was NOT going to even entertain the notion of cutting off some fish's head and tail, and then cutting it up to serve for supper. He was all for fresh ingredients, but something from the Susquehanna River or any other body of water didn't sound very appealing.  However, something told him that even if Brian DID agree to actually casting a reel and was lucky enough to catch a fish, his husband would be the last person to reach out and grab it.  Brian hated anything slimy.  Slimy and stinky were not in his vocabulary.  And neither was fileting, either.  He was spared the duty of replying (thankfully) as Kathy spoke up then, a pitcher of iced tea gripped in her hand as she sat it down on one of the tables.

 

 

"Don't worry, Justin. I've had plenty of experience preparing the fish that Sean catches.  I can take care of it.  We've had some delicious perch dinners from his fishing trips.  I can pretty much filet a fish blind by now," she said with a chuckle. 

 

 

Justin breathed a sigh of relief.  "I will be more than happy to relinquish that duty to your expertise."  Smugly - or at least it appeared that way to Brian - Justin turned to his spouse to ask, "So how many fish do you think you'll catch, Brian?  We might have to make room in our freezer for all of them." 

 

 

"Oh, you'll have to make room, all right," he told him with a deadly gleam.  "If you don't wipe that smirk off your face.  But I think you're small enough that you'll fit in there..."

 

 

Gus appeared horrified.  "Daddy, you can't put Papa in the freezer! It's too cold in there! Why would you want to do that, anyway?" 

 

 

"It's okay, Gus," Justin assured him. "Your Daddy is just kidding...I think."

 

 

Gus appeared perplexed, but finally nodded, his short attention span prodding him onto other things.  "Daddy, are the hot dogs ready yet?"

 

 

"What about it, Professor?" 

 

 

Ben nodded.  "Coming off the grill right now," he informed everyone with a smile.  "Come on over, Gus.  I'll give you the honor of getting the first one." 

 

 

Gus promptly scampered over to the table nearest the grill where the condiments, plates, silverware, and buns were lying, and reached inside the package to grab not one, but two whole wheat hot dog buns before holding them up expectantly toward Ben.

 

 

The man laughed.  "You must have a very healthy appetite," he observed.  "Sure you can handle two of them?"  Gus nodded vigorously as Ben advised, "Grab a plate, then, so you don't drop them."  Ben raised his voice as he called out, "Come and get it, everybody, while they're hot!"

 

 

That created a quick escape from the pool by JR and Alex, with Michael following along a little more slowly as the adults waited for the children to get their choice from the grill as they conversed together amongst themselves. 

 

 

Brian groaned as he watched Gus. "Just what I need. Good thing Gus is so active.  He may look like me, but he eats like Justin."  He grinned as his statement earned him a smack on the upper arm.

 

 

"Hey!  Are you calling me fat?" 

 

 

Brian smiled.  "You would be...if you didn't engage in such rigorous physical activity." 

 

 

Justin's face turned a little red as the others tittered, knowing precisely what sort of 'activity' was Justin's favorite method of keeping in shape. 

 

 

Justin's attention was quickly diverted, however, as he watched Gus head toward them, the plate of hot dogs teetering precariously in his small hands.  He hastened to help him - just before they would have toppled onto the ground - but Alex beat him to it, rushing over to rescue the plate from falling before placing them at the nearest table, the umbrella providing some much-needed shade. 

 

 

Gus beamed up at her like she was Wonder Woman.  "Thanks, Alex," he chirped at her as she smiled back at him and nodded. 

 

 

"Alex!" JR called over to her in dismay from a few feet away.  "My hair is falling out!  Can you fix it again?"   JR grabbed her long plaited hair and squeezed it to try and dry it out.  Unlike Alex's short cut, JR's hair - the exact same color as her father's - hung down to mid-back. She had stubbornly refused to cut it for some time now, only allowing a small trim here and there at times.  To her delight, however, she had learned that Alex knew how to French braid hair, and had been thrilled with the results, claiming afterward how 'grown-up' it made her look. Gus had rolled his eyes in barely-contained tolerance as she had pirouetted around like some fairy princess, but as a result of Alex's unknown talent with hair design, she had earned yet another admirer in addition to Gus.

 

 

Alex nodded.  "Yeah," she reassured her. "But it would be too hard to work with while it's wet. Let's wait until it dries, okay?" 

 

 

"Alex is right," Mel spoke up, amazed by how quickly JR had taken to having a 'big sister' around.  "Let's eat first, and then that will give your hair time to dry."

 

 

JR pouted slightly, but finally nodded glumly.  "Okay," she relented, as Ben motioned for her to come over to the grill to pick out a hamburger or hot dog.  "Pinkie promise?" she pleaded.

 

 

Alex smiled.  "Pinkie promise," she assured her as she walked over to JR and locked their pinkie fingers together.  Satisfied, JR grabbed a hot dog bun as the other girl followed along dutifully behind her to do the same before they approached the grill.

 

 

Mel and Lindsay walked over to Brian and his father, both peering over in amazement at the two girls chatting away like they had known each other for ages.  "I can't believe it," Mel murmured, shaking her head. 

 

 

"What?" Brian asked. 

 

 

"That Jenny Rebecca has taken to Alex so quickly.  She's always been less trusting of people than Gus." There was almost envy in Mel's voice for some reason, Brian noted.

 

 

Brian shrugged.  "That's between you and Mikey," he told her.  "She's your kid, not mine."  He liked JR.  She was actually not a bad kid; albeit, she seemed a little too spoiled by both parents at times, choosing to protest loudly whenever she didn't get her way.  Sometimes it was a wonder that Gus had grown up to be the thoughtful, kind little boy that he had become.  He peered over at his son, then, watching as he enthusiastically devoured his first hot dog, then wiped his mouth with his paper napkin before politely asking Michael, who had sat down with them, if he could have some potato salad that was now sitting just out of his reach.  It made him proud to think that perhaps he and Justin had had a part in that.  After the way his own father had treated him, he wanted to make doubly sure that his son was treated much differently.

 

 

Melanie huffed.  "So you think it's a good thing that Gus would just hop into some stranger's car, or go help someone find a phantom lost puppy at a moment's notice?"

 

 

Brian sighed heavily.  "I won't dignify that with an answer, Mel," he told her, even though that was precisely what he wound up doing anyway. "My son is more than intelligent enough - and has been taught very clearly, I might add, thanks to both Lindsay and me - not to go with anyone who doesn't have his 'safe' word, and you know that."

 

 

Fin watched the exchange between Mel and Brian silently, feeling it was best not to butt in.  He knew by now that these two had a civil relationship that was, at times, also a contentious one, and this was obviously further proof of that.  He still had a lot to learn about this family, he decided.  But he also knew that even the best of families sometimes disagreed with each other. 

 

 

"Alex has changed a lot since she came here," Brian found himself defending her.  "Trust me, she was no saint when I first met her."  He peered over at the person in question.  Alex was seated next to Gus, reaching to grab the pitcher of iced tea to pour Gus another glass for him.  She had almost become like a miniature version of another mother to him at times, which - to Brian - surprised him somewhat; but perhaps sometime several years ago Alex's mother really had been someone she could emulate. She had to have learned those nurturing qualities somewhere. 

 

 

He realized he hadn't finished his thought as he added, "But she has changed since she trashed my hotel room in Harrisburg."  He smirked.  "It's amazing the difference there is when it's your own room, and not someone else's hotel room." 

 

 

"I heard that!" Alex called out.  

 

 

Lindsay's eyes grew wide.  "How could she have heard that?  You were barely talking above a whisper."

 

 

Brian grinned as Tony and Justin came walking up to join them, along with Blake and Ted, who had towels hung around their necks, sweaty from their tennis sparring. "I've got a new nickname for her now because of the way she can seemingly hear a pin drop.  You'll like this one, Mikey:  Bat Woman." 

 

 

Michael chuckled.  "Yeah, it fits," he decided, remembering in school how bats had very acute hearing.  He smiled at his daughter as JR reached toward the fruit tray in the center of the table.  "Grapes?" Alex asked as she nodded with an eager smile.  She snatched a small bunch from the perimeter of the serving tray and set it on JR's paper plate, laughing as Gus promptly began to blow bubbles in his iced tea in between snorts and giggles, having learned that talent well from her. 

 

 

Debbie and Jennifer, meanwhile, had brought out some Cole slaw and baked beans to go with the other casual meal items, choosing to sit down at a table nearby, clearly indicating the men should join them.  "Honey," she called to her son. "Grab a burger or hot dog and come and join us.  All of you," Jennifer urged her son and the others who obtained their respective choice and sat down with them at the same table. 

 

 

Jennifer stated to Brian, "Oh, by the way, Brian, that dry cleaning place I recommended said they can come out day after tomorrow to steam clean all your drapes.  Is 10:00 okay?  And oh, yeah. One more thing.  I found out the name of that paint you were asking me about. It's called Neptune Ocean, and it's available at Scovill's downtown." He watched his mother's eyes widen as she placed her fingers over her mouth then as if she had just let out some sort of covert information.

 

 

Justin frowned slightly; Brian was looking for paint?  He definitely wasn't the kind to do handyman jobs around the house.  He remembered Lindsay telling him at one point that he had trouble even putting Gus's old swing set together.  So why would he be asking her to check on some paint?  He noticed his husband looking a little flustered as he thanked his mother, letting Jennifer know that 10:00 would be fine. He completely ignored the part about the paint, however, making Justin even more curious.

 

 

"Paint?" he couldn't help asking as he peered over at his husband.  Brian was normally the epitome of calmness, and to most he looked that way now. But to Justin, he could see even the minutest of changes, and he could tell Brian was holding back on something.

 

 

Brian shrugged.  "No big deal. Just some client research for a new sales pitch, Sunshine," he explained before Debbie piped up then, letting everyone know that she had brought her croquet set with her, and Carl had volunteered to put it up after lunch so everyone could play later that afternoon.  Gus enthusiastically let out a whoop, since that was one of his favorite games to play. There was just something exciting to him about whacking a ball. 

 

 

"Oh, sh..."  Brian began, pausing as both moms flashed him a warning look.  He cleared his throat.  "Everyone make sure you wear protective gear when we play.  Sonny Boy can be dangerous sometimes.  Or better be prepared to duck."  Everyone tittered over that statement, some of them having seen Gus's not-so-accurate aim in the past with any type of ball.

 

"Daddy, what's danjrus?" Gus asked, wrinking his brow.  Somehow it sounded bad.

 

Brian exchanged a look with everyone before responding, "That just means that you're good at what you do," he told him, earning a dazzling smile from his son as he grinned back at him.

 

Brian clamped his hand over his mouth a few seconds later, though, and shook his head as Debbie asked if they had a badminton set somewhere. "Something wrong?" Justin asked, as he heard Brian follow with a sigh, noticing him gazing around the backyard patio area at all the people gathered around them. 

 

 

"When did it happen, Justin?" he asked inexplicably. 

 

 

Justin frowned as he turned to peer over at him. "When did what happen?" 

 

 

Brian grimaced.  "When did I become so...domesticated, like some damn tabby cat? It's like some Twilight Zone Brady Bunch episode.  Croquet?  Badminton? Steam cleaning the drapes?  What's next?" he groused, throwing up his hands.  "Building a treehouse?" 

 

 

Gus's eyes grew wide as saucers.  "That would be so cool!" he screeched out in delight.  "Can I, Daddy?  Can I have my very own treehouse like Tarzan?  With a rope ladder and everything? And I can swing from vines, just like he does!  That would be so neat!"  Gus had recently become enamored with the jungle man; so much so that he had been begging Justin to outfit his room now in a camouflage sort of tropical rainforest theme.  He beat on his chest suddenly, and let out a vague imitation of a Tarzan yell as everyone winced at the sound.  "Can I have a rope ladder too?"

 

 

Fin, Tony, and Justin looked at each other and grinned.  They all knew Brian was stuck now. 

 

 

"Uh, no..." he hastily began, frantically trying to backpedal.  "I didn't mean we were going to actually build a treehouse.  It was just a manner of speaking; an example of something," he tried to explain, noticing his son's face clouding over in disappointment, and his lower lip curling under, his eyes growing wet and signifying a crying spell was about to emerge.

 

 

Oh, shit, Brian silently lamented; he could never say no to his son - not when something meant so much to him, and he could tell that this did.   Everyone's eyes intently stared at him before he finally explained, "What I meant was...we can't build the treehouse until I get the materials for it."  He let out a deep sigh of resignation as Gus's face lit up at the thought.  "I take it back," he muttered under his breath.  "I'm more like some pussy cat. At least a tabby cat sounded somewhat masculine." 

 

 

Tony clamped a hand on Brian's shoulder.  "Don't worry; I used to carry a mean hammer when I was in high school. I took a carpentry course, and learned a lot about construction.  I'm sure we can tackle a treehouse without a lot of trouble.  We'll just need a design first."  He peered over at Justin and smiled.  "And I think I know a really good, creative artist who can help us with that part."    

 

 

"I'd offer to help, too," Fin interjected.  "Only I think my security men wouldn't let me screw in a lightbulb, much less climb up a tree to wield a hammer or a saw."  He shook his head. Sometimes his security men went TOO far; but it came with being governor.  He supposed it was best to err on the side of caution, but what did they think would come of it?  Him getting a stubbed toe?  "I guess I'll have to leave the construction work to you and Tony," he told them.  "My talent lies more with straw bossing - and having a golden tongue to talk politicians into doing things they normally would never do." 

 

 

Gus leaned toward him and stared at him so intensely that Fin finally had to ask, "Do you need something, Gus?" 

 

 

"You have a golden tongue?  Can I see it?" he asked eagerly, never having seen one that color before.  "Is it heavy?" 

 

 

Everyone at the table burst out laughing as Brian stated dryly, "My son...the one who takes everything literally."  He patiently described what it meant if someone had a golden tongue to his son before everyone turned their attention back to their meal, at last achieving some relative quiet. 

 

 

 

 

It wasn't long after everyone had finished their meals that Brian's cellphone rang.  Noticing who the caller was, he glanced over at Justin before turning his body away from the table and answering quietly, "Hi, Mrs. Morales."  He noticed Justin's eyes widening slightly as he caught the name.  "Theresa," Brian corrected himself a few seconds later after she replied to his greeting.  "Any news yet?" 

 

 

Justin watched with curiosity, trying to figure out by Brian's expression what was going on, but being the consummate advertising genius that he was, his husband had learned long before how to disguise his feelings and maintain a neutral expression, and to his chagrin he was demonstrating that talent well at the moment.  He knew he couldn't stand it, though.  "Brian..."  He huffed in frustration as Brian held his hand up in a clear indication to wait. 

 

 

"Uh, huh," Brian responded to Theresa.  He nodded his head.  "Yeah...yeah, I understand," he added before pausing to listen to his caller.  "No, it's fine," he told her.  "Okay.  We'll see you then." 

 

 

Brian ended the call before lifting his eyes to meet his husband's concerned ones. 

 

 

"Brian?  What did she say?" he asked softly, not wanting to distress Alex if it was bad news.  He reached over to grab Brian's wrist to get his attention.  "Brian?" he repeated a little more urgently when his husband didn't immediately respond.

 

 

Despite their attempts to be quiet, Alex still seemed to either hear - or perhaps sense - she was the subject of their conversation as she peered over at them.  "What?" she asked, holding her partially eaten hot dog suspended in front of her, taking longer to eat than everyone else.  Her heart was thumping furiously, because she knew - she just knew - that it was about her.  "That was Mrs. Morales...wasn't it?"

 

Brian nodded. 

 

Everyone was extremely quiet as they waited for Brian to elaborate, but one little boy couldn't contain his anxiety.  "Daddy?" Gus finally ventured to ask.  "Are they going to take Alex away?"  His eyes filled with tears at the thought.

 

 

"Alex," Brian replied, looking at her instead as he informed her solemnly, "You won't be able to go to school on Monday." 

 

 

Alex's face fell. That was the day she normally had her art class at school, and she loved it.  Was this the end?  "I have to leave the school?"  she asked. She knew she had hated the thought of attending the private school initially, but now she couldn't bear the idea that she couldn't keep attending. She loved how it challenged both her intellect and encouraged her creativity.

 

 

Brian rushed to explain.  "No, no..."  He shook his head and sighed.  "Alex, don't you realize by now that you're not going anywhere?  This is your home."  He peered over at Justin, who had an expectant look of his own on his face, before turning to Alex again to explain, "You'll still be able to go to art class in the afternoon."  He knew how much she loved that class.  "You'll just be out for the morning," he told her, pausing for effect, "...just long enough for us to attend the adoption hearing downtown, and finally make everything legal." 

 

 

"You mean...you mean that...?"  Alex sputtered, her heart pounding furiously.  Dare she say it aloud?  In the past, all her hopes and dreams had constantly been shattered; so much so that she tried to never count on anything good ever happening in her life, not since her parents had died.  But was it possible that this time...just this one time...she might be...?  But she didn't have to say anything when Brian nodded at her with a smile.  Still, she had to hear the words aloud to really make sure. "Really?"

 

 

"Yes," he told her firmly, a smile still on his face.  "The adoption's been approved.  Now you're stuck with us.  That is...if that's what you want."  The judge would still need to go through the formality of asking her if she wanted to become a part of the Taylor-Kinney family, but unless Brian and Justin were grossly mistaken, they didn't think there was any question what Alex's response would be.

 

 

Alex sat there, mouth agape, as everyone turned to look at her.  "Yes?" she whispered after several moments had passed.  "I...I can stay here?  Forever?" 

 

 

Brian grinned.  "Well, yes. Unless some very, VERY patient person decides to up and marry you one day, and he - or she - decides they don't want to live with the dreaded in-laws."   He grinned as Justin appeared to be indignant at the thought.

 

 

"Good news, right?" Justin asked her, noticing the shocked look on her face.  "Alex?" he pressed, a little worried when she didn't respond.  He and Brian stood up from their side of the table and peered over at her, anxiously waiting for her reaction. Suddenly, as if she had become unglued to her seat, Alex dropped the rest of her hot dog onto the table, stood up and launched herself into Justin's arms, hugging him first and then Brian, who patted her back gently and smiled over at his husband.  

 

 

"Yes!  Yes!" she cried out, her heart feeling like a hot-air balloon that was tightly tethered had finally been set free, allowing her emotions to soar.   The tears flowed freely down her face unabated now as she clung tightly onto Brian, relishing in the comfort she felt in his arms, her towel now lying discarded on the ground below.  She pulled back after several seconds, just in time to catch Gus, who leapt into her arms and hugged her, his legs wrapping around her body as she held tightly onto him to keep him from falling.  

 

 

As they broke apart several seconds later, Gus smiled brightly.  "Now I have a big sister AND a little sister," he announced to everyone.  "Forever and forever." 

 

 

Alex sniffled. "Forever," she repeated, loving the sound of that word.  It was one she had never dared hope to think of before.  It sounded so permanent.  It sounded wonderful. 

 

 

From their place at the table, Fin felt Tony reach over and squeeze his hand.  Fin smiled back at him as he cleared his throat.  "Hey," he called over to Alex.  "Doesn't your soon-to-be grandfather get a hug, too?" he complained good-naturedly. Alex paused for a few seconds - not as comfortable yet with Fin as she was with Justin and Brian - before she walked around the table and Fin reached to enfold her in his arms as she stooped down slightly to wrap her arms around his neck. 

 

 

"Welcome to this crazy, mixed-up family," he told her softly with a smile.  "I'm sure you'll fit right in."  There were titters all around in response to his statement as she pulled back to smile at him.

 

 

Sean spoke up then after Kathy whispered something in his ear, both of them excited to have another official addition to the family.  "Alex, how would you like to go out on my boat with the rest of us?   Even if you don't fish, you can bring your camera; you just might get some photos of dolphins or pelicans."  He peered over at Fin and Tony to add, "And both of you, of course; you're part of the family, too."  He looked around at everyone.  "All of you are.  The more the merrier."  He laughed.  "And maybe if you all come, we'll be able to push all the security people out so they have to stay at the Governor's mansion.  That would be an added bonus."   

 

 

Alex smiled in delight at the thought; like Justin, she, too, enjoyed snapping photos that gave her inspiration for her artwork later.  "I've never gone fishing," she explained a little awkwardly.  Her parents had never really had the time to do those sort of things with her.  "But I'd like to go anyway," she added quickly, excited over the idea of being out on the water and taking her camera with her.  She could almost feel the spray of water on her face, and the wind whipping through her hair as the boat slashed through the waves; at least, that is the way she imagined it. It seemed wonderful to her.

 

 

"Yay!" Gus cried out in triumph.  He turned to peer over at Jenny Rebecca.  "But JR won't go. She doesn't like to go fishing, and she gets seasick even on the boat rides at the amusement park."  JR promptly stuck out her tongue at her older brother, making everyone - including Alex - laugh. 

 

 

"Don't worry, honey," Michael assured her when she began to pout.  "You and I will find something special to do while they're fishing, okay?"  JR nodded glumly, her lower lip jutting out and feeling left out of the activities.

 

 

"I have an idea," Kathy suggested.  "You come over to my house while they're gone, and we'll have a special ladies' tea with little sandwiches and cookies.  Would you like that?  You can even help me bake the cookies and make the sandwiches.  I could use the help."  She winked at Michael, who smiled back at her in gratitude for the idea.  It was just the type of thing that his daughter would love.

 

 

JR nodded at her shyly, pleased with her suggestion.  "That sounds great; thank you, Kathy," Michael told her sincerely.

 

 

"Yeah, and the ladies of the house can go, too," Brian quipped, earning the expected scowl from both Justin AND Tony, making both him and his father laugh. 

 

 

"Ha, ha," Justin retorted.  "Come on, Tony," he responded to his friend as Tony rose from the table.  He had no idea what Justin had in mind, but he didn't question him as both of them scooped up several plates and pieces of used silverware.

 

 

"Where are you going?"  Brian asked curiously. 

 

 

"We ladies of the house are going to go clean the toilets and wash the laundry after we finish the dishes.  While we're doing that, you can grab your 20-gauge shotguns and head out to the woods to bring us something back for supper later."  He gave his husband a sickly sweet smile before turning and heading toward the back doors leading into the house. 

 

 

Tony snickered as he turned to follow Justin, making Fin shake his head in amusement. 

 

 

Gus's eyes grew wide as saucers.  "Can I go with you?" he asked his father excitedly.  "I want to bring some supper home, too!"  He frowned.  "What's supper?" 

 

 

Fin laughed at his son's horrified expression at the mere thought.  "No, you may not," Brian told him, hurrying to explain that his Papa was only kidding.  Thankfully for him, Alex offered to play some pool football with Gus and JR then, causing his son to quickly forget his temporary disappointment as all the kids rushed back into the pool to play.

 


 

Tony rinsed some dinner plates off before handing them to Justin to place in the dishwasher.  "Okay, so you want to tell me why you brought me in here? Somehow I doubt it had anything to do with our wifely duties."  He leaned forward slightly against the counter so he could see Justin's face more clearly.  "What's wrong?" he asked softly. 

 

 

"Nothing," Justin insisted, placing a glass in the top shelf of the dishwasher.

 

 

Jaw set firmly in doubt, Tony replied, "Bullshit.  That may work with someone who doesn't know you as well as I do, but something's not quite right.  I'm going to stand here and wait until I get an answer, even if I wind up with dishpan hands and wrinkly prune fingers.  Besides, I'm an attorney, remember?  I know when someone's not being 100% truthful.  So spill."

 

 

That at least earned a half-smile from Justin as he sighed.  "It's silly."  Tony raised an eyebrow expectantly, silently signaling he wanted more. 

 

 

"Don't misunderstand," Justin began.  He smiled.  "I'm thrilled that the adoption has been officially approved.  Really.  Alex has come so far since Brian first met her in that dirty doorway."  One corner of his mouth crooked upward as he recalled, "At the time, we didn't even know she was a girl." 

 

 

Tony nodded.  "Yeah, I remember you telling me that."  Tony gazed into his friend's eyes for a few minutes before concluding, "But you have such a big heart that you have still space for one more to love, too.  A little one." 

 

 

Justin sighed.  "Am I that obvious?"  He shook his head in disgust.

 

 

"Not to most," Tony assured him.  "But you knew that Brian would be able to tell. That's why you bolted so quickly back here to the house, isn't it?" 

 

 

Justin swallowed to alleviate his dry throat.  "Yeah, I guess," he admitted.  "But also because I didn't want Alex to notice anything amiss, or to think that I don't want her here.  Because I do.  I admit for a while I wasn't so sure about that. But I don't have any doubts now.  It's just that..."  He closed his eyes briefly for a moment before taking a deep breath and opening them again, noticing Tony waiting patiently for him to continue.  "I still have this dream.  This dream that I'm walking down the hallway upstairs, heading to that room."

 

 

"The room you were doing sketches for."

 

 

Justin nodded.  "Yeah...I know it's crazy.  But it would be such a perfect nursery, Tony!" he told him, his eyes lighting up unknowingly over the vision in his head.  "The perfect size, the perfect light, just the right distance from the master bedroom.  I can see every piece of furniture in there in my head - where I would place it, what colors I would use to paint the walls, what fabrics I would use...the theme for it."  He licked his lips, feeling the tears stinging his eyes as he shook his head in disgust.  "But it's stupid.  Alex is a great kid. And I love Gus like he's my own son.  We HAVE a family already.  A good family.  A loving family.  Even grandparents and great grandparents. Why does it matter, then?" 

 

 

Tony reached over to grasp Justin's shoulder comfortingly and squeeze it.  "I can't really say that I understand what you're feeling," he conceded.  "It was never really an issue with Fin and me.  We've always had such busy lives and done so much traveling, either for business or leisure, that we really never considered having children.  We didn't think we could devote the time necessary to properly raise them."  He chuckled softly.  "We're like those childless couples whose pets become their surrogate babies, I guess; only in our case, it's not dogs or cats, but horses." 

 

 

Justin nodded in understanding.  "I know raising kids isn't for everybody.  Hell, I'm sure Brian never thought he would want to have any sort of active role in Gus's life, either; at least, not at first.  But he changed when he held him in his arms in the hospital. I had barely met Brian when Gus was born."  He smiled ruefully.  "In fact, at the time I don't think he had the foggiest idea what my name even was. But the expression I saw on his face when he held Gus for the first time; even a total stranger could tell he was being transformed somehow."  He paused, trying to consider his next words.  "I wasn't around much at the very beginning; at least not as involved as I became later on with Gus. I wasn't there for his daily care; not like Mel and Lindsay were.  Brian's involvement was limited, too."

 

 

"But..." Tony prodded gently. 

 

 

Justin took a deep breath.  "But that doesn't mean that I wouldn't want that now. It's just that I don't want Alex to feel like she's any less significant or important - or loved - than a baby would be.  I do love her. It's just a different sort of feeling, I guess.  Does that sound selfish?" 

 

 

"No," Tony assured him softly.  "It's just means you have a heart that's large enough to love all of them:  Alex, Gus...and a newborn." 

 

 

Justin looked at him gratefully, thinking that he did, indeed, understand.  "Thanks," he told him.  He took a deep breath and let it out, squaring his shoulders.  "But I need to push that aside.  I need to concentrate on Gus and Alex and even JR.  They and Brian are my family now.  The other idea is just a pipe dream."  He gave his friend a weak smile.  "I'm young," he explained.  "We have time.  I know in my head it's not a good time to try and introduce a baby into our lives.  Brian and I have talked about this before."

 

 

"Yeah...but sometimes rationality and emotion don't always go hand-in-hand, do they?" Tony asked Justin softly as he wiped his hands on a dish towel. 

 

 

Justin shook his head.  He forced a smile on his face.  "I'm grateful for what I have.  I'm a very lucky man, Tony. That's what I'm going to concentrate on.  In fact, I think I'm going to suggest some sort of special dinner Monday night for Alex to celebrate her becoming an official part of the family.  I'll see if my mom, Molly, and Sean and Kathy can join us.  And Gus and Mel and Lindsay. Think you and Fin could come, too?" 

 

 

"Well, I'd have to double check with the esteemed Governor. But I think I could persuade him," Tony replied with a wink. 

 

 

Justin grinned as he placed one last glass in the top section of the dishwasher.  "I'm sure you can."  Justin studied his friend thoughtfully for a moment before he added, "He adores you, you know.  I might even go so far as to say he worships you." 

 

 

Tony blushed.  "I love him so much," he replied softly as he leaned against the counter.  "I can't imagine my world without him in it.  No matter how crazy things might get." 

 

 

Justin nodded.  "No regrets about the election, and all the changes in your life as a result?" 

 

 

"Well, I'd be lying if I said it's been all smooth sailing," Tony admitted as he gazed out onto the back patio to see his partner conversing with Brian.  "It was damn hard at first, in fact, with all the media attention and the lack of privacy.  But after the novelty of it all wore off, it's not as bad now as it was.  And Fin's kept his word; we're able to go back home fairly regularly on the weekends, and the security people stay outside the fence.  So I don't feel quite as smothered as I would have otherwise."  Tony continued to gaze out at father and son before he turned to peer over at his friend.  "I know someone else who worships YOU.  He makes no attempt to hide it. Even if a total stranger saw him looking at you the way he does, there would be no doubt about his feelings for you."   

 

 

Now it was time for Justin to blush.  "It works both ways.  We're both very lucky."  He smiled.  "I fell in love with him the second I saw him.  Took him a bit longer," he admitted, evoking a chuckle from Tony.  "But I can't imagine my life without Brian, either."    

 

 

Tony smiled.  "Well, I think they're lucky, too," he decided.  He noticed Fin's brow lifting in question as their eyes met through the kitchen window, his husband no doubt wondering what he and Justin were up to.  "Ready to head back outside, fellow wifey?" he teased his friend. 

 

 

Justin chuckled.  "Yeah, I'm ready.  I think the kitchen is now sufficiently tidy.  Let me grab the cupcakes.  I give it about fifteen minutes before the kids all devour them," he bet with a grin. He grabbed the portable carrying container and turned to go, only to stop when Tony grabbed his wrist. 

 

 

"Anytime you need someone to talk to, Justin..." 

 

 

"I know.  It's really okay, Tony," he told him.  "But thanks." 

 

 

Tony nodded, quietly following his friend out the door and back into the midst of all the activity. 

 

Chapter End Notes:

 

Well, at the risk of sounding redundant, I do have one more chapter to go, which will be an epilogue of what is happening down the road. Thank you to everyone's patience, and for reading. Both are deeply appreciated.