Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

One of Tony's most desired wishes comes true as he and Fin are finally wed.

 

Father and son found the other men outside by the gazebo, talking quietly to each other.  Fin's mouth fell open as he noticed everything that Emmett had managed to do when he hadn't noticed. The gazebo had been adorned with large, navy blue bows on either side of the entrance, and inside underneath the shady interior he could see small, white, twinkling lights softly glowing.  A simple, wooden dais had been located facing outward where Emmett, no doubt, would be doing his ‘officiating,' and gold, navy, and cream-colored flowers were tastefully gathered together into two, tall, glass vases placed on the floor to either side of the podium.  It was quiet simple in design, but also oozed understated elegance.  To Fin, it suited him perfectly.  At the sound of the glass door shutting behind them, Tony turned to peer over at his fiancé with a beaming smile on his face, and it was then that Fin knew Tony felt the same way. 

 

Several feet away, on top of one of the patio tables situated underneath the covered porch, a three-tiered, cream-colored wedding cake with two men bearing uncanny resemblances to the two grooms sat atop a large, gold platter, surrounded by more petite vases holding other varieties of flowers with the same color scheme.  At the next table over, coordinating place settings had been arranged for the dinner that would immediately follow the wedding, complete with a navy-colored, linen tablecloth, large cream-colored, vanilla scented pillar candles nestled inside a hurricane centerpiece, and gleaming crystal ware that would be used to give champagne toasts to the two grooms.  Their dinner was currently warming underneath several silver buffet containers set on top of the stainless steel barbeque station.  The smells, sights, and sounds of being outdoors in such a private, peaceful setting that was so familiar to both grooms made Tony and Fin feel like Emmett had accomplished something magical for their ceremony.

 

Fin was astounded. After getting to know Emmett, he had expected something off-the-wall, extremely garish, and perhaps even outrageous in nature. But there was apparently a good reason why Emmett had been doing so well in the catering and events planning business; he obviously knew how to listen to his clients' wishes, and he had somehow been able to understand perfectly what both he and Tony wanted, managing to meld both of their dreams into one, ideal setting.  "Emmett...this is incredible," he told their minister sincerely as he smiled.  "This is just what I was hoping it would be. Such a wonderful escape from all the media circus back at the governor's residence...and just the kind of wedding I wanted. Tony?" he peered over at his partner, who nodded in agreement, tears threatening to escape his eyes as the emotions welled up inside him.

 

 

"I don't know how you read my mind so well, Emmett," Tony whispered gratefully in a choked voice.  He looked around to study everything that Emmett had done.  "You have captured what Fin and I wanted perfectly."   In fact, the only flamboyant item that stood out among the rest was the colorful outfit that Emmett was wearing:  a pair of eggplant-colored pants, multi-colored suspenders, a lilac-colored, long-sleeved, silk shirt, and a sparkly, violet-hued bowtie. 

 

Emmett's eyes filled with tears.  He always became emotional at weddings, but this was especially significant. "Oh, I am just so happy for both of you!  I only wish I had been a minister when Brian and Justin were married last year."  He glared indignantly over at his old-time friends, placing his hands on his hips.

 

"What?" Brian asked, his eyebrows raised in question.

 

"Why aren't either of you dressed?" 

 

Brian shrugged. "Last time I looked, we were dressed."  He looked over at his beautiful husband to add with a smirk, "Although I prefer Sunshine here to be wearing only a smile." He chuckled as he managed to make Justin's face turn beet red. 

 

Emmett sputtered.  "You know what I mean!  Get back up there and get into your best man suits! This wedding's taking place on time, with or without you!"

 

Brian snickered.  "Oh, that'll be easy...especially without witnesses present."  He chuckled over Emmett's aghast expression.  "Don't get your sequin panties in a knot, Reverend.  We'll be good little boys and go get dressed.  Wouldn't want to ruin your first ceremony."  He grabbed Justin's hand.  "Come on, Sunshine.  Let's go get our monkey suits on before Clear Day here has a coronary and sees the Light again." 

 

Justin giggled as Emmett scowled at Brian.  "Long story," Justin told Tony and his father-in-law with a grin as they looked at him, confused. "I'll fill you in sometime.  Brian!" he chided his husband as he grabbed his wrist and began to tug him impatiently back toward the door.  "It's not THAT urgent." 

 

Brian smirked.  "It is if we have to take a shower first."  He waggled his eyebrows suggestively as he rolled his lips under.

 

Emmett sputtered, "Enough!  Get dressed - now! You are NOT going to spoil this wedding for me...uh, I mean...for your father and Tony!" 

 

Both men laughed now as Justin reassured their friend, "It's okay, Em; I'll make sure we take a shorter shower than normal."  He grinned at Brian's pout as he followed his husband to the back door.  "Don't worry; we'll still have time for a quickie." 

 

"Quickie nothing," Brian muttered as Justin slid the door back to open it, yelping when Brian pinched him on his ass.  Rolling his eyes, he quickly disappeared inside, Brian closely on his heels. 

 


 

Thirty Minutes Later - Brian and Justin's Bedroom - 12:50 p.m.

 

"Hey, Sunshine, have you seen my cuff..."  Brian's question died on his lips as he emerged from the walk-in closet and spied his husband standing in front of the full-length, oval mirror, studying his reflection while he smoothed down his suit jacket.  Brian's breath caught in his throat as he walked closer.  "Wow..." he whispered, unable to formulate a full sentence.

 

Justin flushed as he noticed the intense look on Brian's face.  Now it was his turn for his breath to hitch as he studied the extremely handsome man standing nearby.  "My God...you look so amazing, Brian," he murmured, his entire body tingling in appreciation.  Not for the first time - and certainly not for the last - he wondered how he had gotten so lucky that Brian had been the one to find him that night so long ago. 

 

Brian smiled as he walked up to face him.  He shook his head.  "No, Justin...you're the amazing one."  His eyes traveled slowly downward to take in the entire picture before lifting up to meet his husband's gaze.  "I suppose my father and Tony would disagree with me...but with the way you look, you should be getting married today; you're going to outshine both grooms."

 

Justin blushed; he would never grow tired of such sentiments from this man.  "I could say the same thing about you," he whispered, as he placed his hands against Brian's chest.  He shook his head in disbelief as Brian's arms slid around his back to pull him closer.  "Sometimes our own wedding seems like it was so long ago," he told him.  "And yet...when I see you like this...looking so handsome...it seems like only yesterday."

 

Brian gave him a tender smile of his own.  "I know what you mean," he whispered back, his voice breaking slightly.  He took a deep breath.  "As far as I'm concerned, Mr. Taylor-Kinney, you will always be the most magnificent groom I have ever seen." 

 

Justin teared up; he couldn't help it.  Brian's words of love always got to him; they always would.   "No," he choked back.  "You.  It will always be you." 

 

Brian gazed into his blue eyes intently before the two came together for a kiss, their tongues snaking out to taste each other as they promptly got lost in their own love and desire for each other.  Their kissing was only interrupted as they heard Emmett clearly calling for them outside their open bedroom window.

 

"It's 1:00!  We're ready down here!  Hello?!  You'd better NOT be doing what I THINK you're doing!" 

 

The two grinned against each other's lips as they slowly pulled apart.  Shaking his head in amusement, Brian responded loudly, "We're coming!"

 

"That's what I'm afraid of!"  Emmett shouted back.  "Just hurry up, then, and get it over with!"

 

Both men laughed as Justin walked over to the window to peer down at their perturbed, flustered friend.  The relief clearly showed on Emmett's face as he noticed Justin was actually dressed.  "Not that kind of coming, Em," he told him with a smile.  "We'll be right down."  Emmett nodded as Justin watched him head back over to the gazebo, no doubt joining Fin and Tony inside.

 

Walking back over to Brian, the two kissed again, briefly this time.  "We'd better get going, before Emmett keels over from frustration," Justin replied. 

 

"Wait!" Brian asked, as his husband began to tug him lightly toward the door.  "I still need my cufflinks."

 

"Which ones?"

 

"The ones I wore at our wedding," Brian told him, feeling a little awkward all of a sudden over his sentimentality. 

 

Justin smiled, deciding not to press him on his choice of jewelry.  Before they had left to come here, he would have sworn that Brian had packed a different set of cufflinks in his luggage.  Silently he strode over to his husband's leather luggage tote, and dug around in the small, zippered compartment to locate the pair of distinct, platinum cufflinks that Brian had worn to their own wedding.  Walking back over to join Brian, he kept his hand curled around the two objects when Brian stuck his hand out to take them.

 

He shook his head.  "Let me," he whispered as Brian nodded with a soft smile.  He carefully attached first one, and then the other cufflink to each shirt sleeve.  "There," he murmured in satisfaction as his eyes lifted to gaze into Brian's.  "Now we're ready."  He began to walk away, only to have Brian grab his wrist. 

 

"Not just yet." 

 

"What?" he asked curiously as he peered at his husband.

 

Brian shook his head with a smile as if he were changing his mind.  "Nothing..." he began, only to rethink that.  "I..."

 

Justin furrowed his brow and arched one eyebrow in silent question. 

 

"It's just...I know I don't say it often enough...but..."

 

Justin smiled with a small shake of his own head.  "It's okay..." he began, but Brian placed the fingers of his left hand across his lips to silence him. 

 

"No, it's not," Brian decided.  He took a deep breath.  "I'm such a fucking lucky man, Justin.  And...I love you.  More than you will ever know.  And I would marry you all over again...a thousand times over."  He shook his head at the blond.  "Stop that," he gently chided his husband as he reached over to wipe away the moisture leaking from his eyes onto his cheeks.  He took a deep breath. "Now I'm ready," he told him, kissing him once more on the lips and tasting the saltiness there.  He turned Justin around in his arms to face the door.  "Now let's go, before you get all mushy on me," he teased him, hearing a responding sniffle as he gave him a light push.

 

Justin smiled against his husband's back before the two of them headed out the door on their way to the backyard. 

 


 

Fin gazed over at his soon-to-be-husband as they stood side by side in the gazebo, waiting for their witnesses to appear.  Husband.  Wow.  He had never thought he would even be interesting in having a husband.  A life partner.  A lover. A best friend and soul mate, even.  Yes, he had always dreamed and envisioned that for himself.  But to actually want to be married? To legally and publically declare his commitment to another man?  As he continued to look into Tony's eyes, however, and received a nervous sort of smile back at him, he couldn't help thinking how right this felt.  How appropriate.  When he looked at Tony, he didn't feel fear or trepidation.  He felt love.  Love and happiness. For both of them.  So much had happened this past year during the campaign; not only all the drama and unpleasantness some of the more unsavory elements had created, but also extreme surprise at finding out he had a son and a grandson.  In a way, it was almost impossible to believe everything that had happened was real. But it was.  And this was the high point of the past year.  Nothing would ever surpass this moment.  Nor would he want it to. 

 

"Not long now," Fin murmured to his partner, who nodded, tears already springing to his eyes.  "Waterworks already, Counselor?" Fin teased him. 

 

Tony let out a deep breath and sniffled.  "Can't help it," he admitted with a watery smile.  "A man doesn't get married every day."  He paused as he stared into Fin's eyes; the eyes he had woken up to for years now.  Tomorrow, he would wake up to them once more. In a way, it will be as it always was; him waking up before his partner to indulge in a few, blissful moments of studying every line and plane of his lover's form as he slept, unaware of the inspection. But it would also be different, because the two of them would be waking up as husbands in addition to lovers.  He took another deep breath.  "And I don't plan on getting married ever again, in fact." 

 

Fin smiled.  "Ditto," he whispered, as he leaned in to give Tony a brief kiss on the lips.

 

"Hey, none of that," Emmett admonished them, his own voice hitching as he observed how much in love the two men were.  "That comes after you're legal," he kidded them as the two men smiled at each other, their hands held out between them.  Emmett nodded as he looked around the gazebo.  "Well, WE'RE ready; now if we could just get our two witnesses here, we could actually begin."

 

"You got your wish," Brian told him from the back of the gazebo, as the men's heads turned to see him and Justin walking up to them.  "All present and accounted for." 

 

Emmett sighed in relief.  "Finally!  Okay, then."  He straightened out his shoulders as he reached to grab a small booklet from the podium.  "Let's get this party started, then."  He cleared his throat as everyone turned to face him.  Peering out into an imaginary crowd, he began to recite the speech he had sought so hard to memorize over the past few weeks.  "Friends...we are here this afternoon to witness the marriage of Fintan O'Connor to Anthony Cassinelli."  He flicked his eyes downward to the couple now facing him.  "I'd point you out to everyone, but we all know who you are already, so I won't bother," he quickly added.

 

"Emmett..." Brian warned him in exasperation as he sighed heavily.

 

"Oh, yeah...Okay.  Fin...Tony...I understand you have written your own vows.  Fintan, you go first."  He went on to explain, "I'm just going by age here." 

 

Fin huffed indignantly as Tony snickered.  Shaking his head slightly, he and Tony turned to completely face each other as he studied the man who meant the world to him.  He really didn't need any official speech this time; he had tentatively written down some things he had wanted to make sure he mentioned, but now - as he gazed into his partner's eyes - he realized he didn't need any rehearsed speech to tell this man how he felt.  The words began to flow extemporaneously instead.  He grasped Tony's hands tightly and smiled first, the love clearly expressed on his face as Tony smiled encouragingly back at him, before he began to slowly say what was in his heart.  

 

"Tony...I had this speech all prepared - after all, I AM a politician," he reminded his partner, who grinned.  "But I decided to speak off the cuff this time because words can't really express how I feel about you anyway.  How my world revolves around you.  How you make me whole.  How you constantly challenge me to do what is right, and how you color my world in such rich hues that it almost blinds me with their intensity.  How I didn't even know all that life could offer until I met you."  Fin took a deep breath before slowly letting it out.  "No matter what I do in my life...no matter what I accomplish...no matter what challenges or obstacles I face - I know that I will be able to triumph over them.  I know that I will always persevere...because you will be there by my side." 

 

Emmett sniffled.  "That was so beautiful," he gushed, bringing his hand up to his mouth as his eyes watered.  He took a deep breath to compose himself, reaching inside his pants pocket to retrieve a pink-and-black-polka dotted handkerchief.  His nose made a sound like a Canadian goose as he nosily blew into the cloth before stuffing it back in his pocket.  He cleared his throat before turning to Tony.  "And now...it's time to hear from the other groom."

 

Tony nodded as everyone focused their attention on him now.  At that moment, though, he only saw Fin's face as he gazed into his eyes; eyes that were full of love for him.  He licked his lips to wet them, suddenly finding them very dry.  Taking another deep breath, he concentrated on the feel of his partner's warm, familiar hands in his to give him the strength to continue.  He offered a rueful half-smile.  "I tried to write down what I wanted to say ahead of time, too, just like you.  But it seemed like no matter what I put down on paper, it really wasn't what I wanted to say to you.  You already know I'm more impassioned in the courtroom during closing arguments when I speak from the heart. So that's what I'm going to do now."

 

He paused for a moment to compose his thoughts before he began again.  "I admit sometimes I thought this day would never come. You know it's always been one of my dreams.  To take your name.  To wear your ring.  To publicly commit to each other in front of our friends.  And now that it's finally here...I'm...I'm almost - for once - rendered speechless."  Fin grinned at him; it was a running joke that Tony tended to be a non-stop chatterbox most of the time.  "I said almost," he clarified with a soft smile as he looked down at their clasped hands before lifting his eyes to stare at his fiancé.  "I remember the day we met almost as if it were yesterday.  I remember feeling so foolish being down on my knees, picking up those papers, only to see this long pair of legs standing a few feet away. And when I looked up higher at what was attached to those legs...God, I thought you were the most amazing looking, sexiest man I had ever seen.  I also thought you were the most arrogant man I had ever met, too."  Fin grinned at him as he explained, "But once I got to know you, I realized it wasn't arrogance I was seeing; it was confidence, and passion for what you believed in; this powerful aura you projected.  It pulled me in like some incredibly strong magnet, and once it did, I knew I would never be able to resist it.  I didn't want to resist it. And once I got to know you even more deeply...it didn't take me long to realize that I had found the man I wanted to spend the rest of my life with. That hasn't changed, either; other than it has only gotten stronger."

 

He took a deep breath.  "You are my lifeline, my cheerleader, my touchstone for what is right and just in this world.  You balance me, and keep me from taking myself too seriously. You instinctively know what I need, even before I do.  You are the man I want to grow old with - not too quickly, though," Tony hastened to add.  "Because I want to treasure each second that I have with you."  He paused before continuing. "You are the last person I want to see at night, and the first one I want to see in the morning.  A lifetime of being with you won't be nearly long enough for me.  I'm not afraid of what lies ahead of us.  I'm excited. I can't wait to see the future...but I'm also selfish; I don't want it to go by too fast.  I promise to never forget to tell you how much I love you every day...and to show you how much I cherish the man that you are...and the man that you help me to be."   He took a deep breath and nodded slightly at Emmett to signal that he was finished, finding that he wasn't the only one whose eyes were shining with tears; Fin's, too, were mirroring his own as he gazed back at him and blinked some moisture away. 

 

"God, I love you, Tony," he whispered hoarsely as his grip tightened on his fiance's hands. 

 

An even louder sniffle erupted from Emmett then as tears freely ran down his face.  "Oh, my...." He exclaimed, using his handkerchief again to wipe his cheeks.  "That was the most romantic vow I have ever heard!  I...I couldn't have said it better. When I get married, I want a man to say exactly what you just said to Fin.  You are both so lucky...some people search all their..."

 

"Emmett..."

 

"...lives to find what you've found. A love like yours is just so rare these..."

 

"EMMETT!"  Brian growled loudly at him in exasperation, causing the other man to finally stop mid-speech.  "Can we get on with it? The rings?" 

 

"Oh!  Oh, yeah!" his friend replied sheepishly.  He turned toward Brian and Justin, his face now an expression of formality.  "May I have the rings, please?" he intoned like royalty as he held his hand out toward them.

 

Justin giggled as both he and Brian reached inside their jacket pockets to retrieve the two men's rings, handing them over to their friend, who nodded.  Placing his now drenched handkerchief back into his pocket, Emmett took the smaller, more slender golden band and handed it to Fin.  "Fin, if you will slide the ring onto Tony's finger and repeat after me..."

 

Fin nodded, as he gazed into Tony's shining blue eyes.  Emotion welled up in him as he took Tony's left hand and began to slide the band down his ring finger. 

 

"With this ring...I thee wed," Emmett instructed him.

 

Fin took a deep breath.  Before this day, he would have thought such a ritual wouldn't have affected him much; that he was mainly going through with it for Tony's benefit.  But as he slid the ring down firmly onto Tony's finger, he couldn't help thinking how right it all felt.  "With this ring," he began, taking another deep breath and letting it out, "...I thee wed."  The ring now firmly on Tony's hand, he gripped his hand tightly with his briefly before Emmett held Fin's ring out to his partner.

 

"And now your turn, Tony," he told him softly, handing the smooth metal piece of jewelry to him. "Repeat after me.  With this ring, I thee wed." 

 

Tony nodded, his hand shaking as he accepted the ring and held Fin's left hand now in his right.  "With this ring," he whispered, his voice stuttering. He took a deep breath, his eyes riveted on Fin's long-fingered, elegantly manicured hand, as he started over.  He knew if he didn't say it all at once, he quite possibly wouldn't get through it at all, and that was not going to happen.  He exhaled slowly as he repeated, "With this ring...I thee wed."  He slowly pushed the band downward until it rested at the bottom of Fin's ring finger before lifting  his eyes to gaze into the wondrous face of his new husband.  Both men smiled at each other as Emmett confirmed what they already knew.

 

"I now pronounce that you are husband and husband," he told them, smiling broadly.  "And now the good part; you may kiss your spouse, gentlemen!" 

 

The two men didn't need any further encouragement as they moved into each other's arms and slid one hand upward to cup each other's cheek before they began to kiss, gently at first but quickly turning it into a more passionate one as their lips parted and tongues pushed inside.  It would be several seconds before they would break off their first kiss as married men; only Brian clearing his throat finally brought them up for some much-needed oxygen.  The two of them smiled sheepishly at the others as they turned to face them.  

 

"Congratulations!" Emmett cried out as he reached inside the wooden dais and pulled out a bag of something to throw their way in celebration, the men ducking slightly as they were pelted with rainbow-colored rice.  "You just need to sign your wedding certificate, and it'll all be legal."  He stated, "I'm just so proud of myself!" as the others laughed.  "I wasn't sure I could get through it."

 

"You almost didn't," Brian quipped with a smirk.  "If you ever officiate at any more weddings, I suggest you bring a bath towel with you the next time."

 

"I can't help it," he admitted.  His eyes widened as he decided, "That's a great idea! I'm going to start offering all-in-one packages now!  Ooh...I'll need new business cards!  But what should they say? Should I go by Reverend?  Or does Minister Em sound better?" 

 

Brian shook his head and rolled his eyes.  "God help them."  

 

"Brian, be nice," Justin scolded him, earning a roll of his husband's lips in reaction.  He smiled broadly at both men.  "Congratulations, Fin," he told his father-in-law, impulsively pulling him into a brief hug before the two men broke apart.

 

"Thanks, Justin," he replied sincerely.  "And thanks for being here to witness it." 

 

"I wouldn't have missed it," Justin told him.  His smile widened even more as he looked at Tony, who still seemed a little dazed by it all.  He grabbed his friend into a tight bear hug.  "You did it," he whispered in his ear before he pulled back to look at him.  "You're a married man now.  How's it feel?"

 

Tony shook his head slightly.  "Like it's all a dream. But a good dream."  He held his left hand out to admire the gleaming band on his finger.  "I'm never taking this off.  Never." 

 

"You'd better not," Fin teased him.  "Not after all this."  He turned to accept his son's handshake then. 

 

Brian smiled sincerely at him.  "Congratulations, Fin.  You couldn't have picked a better man; after Justin, of course, but he's already taken."  Justin grinned at him.  "That was quite an impromptu speech, by the way, considering you didn't have your official speechwriter with you." 

 

Fin slid his arm around Tony's waist to pull him close.  "Well, I didn't need much preparation when I had Tony as my inspiration.  All I had to do was look at him...and speak from the heart." 

 

Tony blushed as Fin leaned in and kissed him gently on the cheek.  "Fin...what you said...I...It was so amazing," he told him softly.

 

"I meant every word, Tony," he told him.  "Every one." 

 

Tony nodded, swallowing the lump in his throat. He thought he had planned on how he would feel today, but he found now that nothing could have quite prepared him for the wealth of joy that was bubbling up inside him.  To be Fin's husband at last - and to have Brian and Justin witness it - without a doubt was the best day of his life.  "Fin..."  He began, but he couldn't finish, not that it really mattered. They had already said everything they had needed to say.

 

Fin tenderly brushed some hair back from Tony's bangs.  "I know, Tony," he murmured.  "Me, too."