Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

Tony and Fin's wedding day finally arrives with some changes and surprises.

 

 

April 21 - Fin and Tony's Home in Harrisburg - Saturday Morning, 9:30 a.m.

 

 

Fin stood in the doorway separating his and Tony's master bedroom from their large bathroom, silently admiring his fiance's physique.  Tony had never been some muscle-bound hunk, although he was certainly handsome enough. But as his partner stood in front of the bathroom vanity mirror, clad only in a dark-blue bath sheet tied casually around his slim waist, he still took his breath away.  Just like him, Tony was showing the invariable signs of aging:  he had a few more fine wrinkles around his eyes, and even a little light-gray hair around his temples - that is, if you looked close enough.  And neither he nor Tony could stay up quite as late as they used to do.  But as he gazed at the smooth, pale skin of his lover's back, he still was aware of how amazing his partner looked. And it wasn't just the physical aspect, either; part of Tony's magnetism was the confidence he exuded in not only challenging other attorneys in the courtroom, but also facing the myriad parade of dignitaries, politicians, and other well-known visitors who had been coming to the Governor's mansion to meet with him.  Whenever Tony was available, he always made a point of introducing him to whomever he might be meeting with, especially if it was for dinner when his fiancé would be home from work (funny how the work ‘home' still seemed a little odd to him, even after a few months had passed. But he supposed it would always just be a temporary habitat in his and Tony's eyes).  And whenever he did introduce him to their visitors, Tony confidently rose to the occasion with a firm handshake and a strong, sure voice. Tony always could charm practically anyone, however, so that didn't really surprise him, he supposed.

 

 

Just then, Tony finished drying off his hair with another towel, and reached for his razor, his eyes shifting as he caught Fin's reflection in the mirror.  He smirked.  "Ogling me again, Governor?  How unseemly." 

 

 

Fin snorted as he walked into the bathroom and approached the other man.  He slid his arms around Tony's waist, feeling his fiancé shiver slightly in reaction to his touch.  "It's hard NOT to ogle someone who rivals Michelangelo's David," he whispered in Tony's ear.

 

 

Tony smiled as Fin's lips slid down his neck as he instinctively arched his head to the other side to allow him greater access.  "Hmm...David, huh.  I don't know whether to be flattered or insulted. As I recall, he had a rather small dick."

 

 

Fin laughed.  "Only YOU would think of that when discussing one of the most famous statues in the world."  He kissed Tony's jaw before confirming, "I meant it as a compliment."  He lifted his head to peer into Tony's eyes through the mirror.  "Sometimes I wonder how I got so lucky," he whispered sincerely. 

 

 

Tony blushed as he turned around in Fin's arms to face him; still holding the razor between his fingers, he placed both of his hands on Fin's shoulders.  "I know how.  You charmed the pants off me...literally."  He smiled, but then his expression changed into something tenderer as he shook his head.  "I'm the lucky one," he told him softly.  "And not a day goes by that I don't think about that." 

 

 

Fin stared into his eyes as his hands came up to cup his face.  "And so do I, Tony," he whispered as the two of them met for a kiss.  The kiss was meant to be a brief one, but quickly escalated into more of a tongue-washing before Tony pushed away slightly from his fiancé with a laugh.  "Cut that out, or I'll never get dressed!" he chided him as Fin rolled his tongue into his cheek.  "Now go away so I can finish getting ready.  I'm nervous enough," he confided ruefully. And he was; ever since he had awakened about an hour ago, the thought that today was his and Fin's wedding had been all he could think about.

 

 

"I'm that big of a distraction, am I?  Or is this one of those ‘can't see the bride before the wedding' type superstitions?" 

 

 

Tony huffed.  "First of all, I am not - nor will I ever be - a bride."  Fin grinned at him in reaction.  "And second of all, for your information, no, Governor, I'm not doing it because I'm superstitious. I'm doing it because...well...you ARE a big distraction," he admitted, earning a smug look from his partner. "So with all due respect, Mr. Governor, will you PLEASE leave me alone so I can finish?"

 

 

Fin grinned at him.  "Okay...but only on one condition."

 

 

Tony groaned.  "Fin, we already fucked this morning."

 

 

"Excuse me?  Made love," he corrected him.

 

 

Tony blushed.  "Okay...have it your way.  We already made love this morning.  Despite your insatiable appetite where my body is concerned..."  That evoked a snort from his fiancé.  "Despite that...I am NOT going to let anything prevent me from getting married today. And that includes getting dressed on time so I can meet with Emmett over breakfast.  You DO remember that, right?"

 

 

Fin rolled his eyes.  "How can I forget?  Just YOU don't forget what the word of the day is."

 

 

Tony furrowed his brow.  "Hmmm...I seem to be a little cloudy with that. What was it again?"  He squeaked as Fin briefly poked him in the sides.    "Oh, yeah...it's coming to me now.  Tasteful." 

 

 

Fin smiled. "Good boy.  I will do as you ask...after I do one more thing."

 

 

Rolling his eyes good-naturedly, Tony leaned in, his eyes beginning to close.

 

 

"Uh...no, I don't mean that."

 

 

Tony's eyes flew open with a flash of disappointment and perhaps a bit of hurt.  He shrugged, trying to seem nonchalant.  "Okay, then. I'll just wait until I make an honest man out of you," he decided.  "Then I'll give you a REAL tongue-washing."

 

 

Fin smiled as his cock took particular interest in that thought.  "No, what I mean is..."  He carefully pried the razor from Tony's hand.  "I'll leave you alone...after this," he told him, reaching over beside them to pick up the can of shaving cream from the vanity counter.

 

 

Tony flushed as he realized what Fin wanted; he wasn't sure out of embarrassment, or in reaction to the extremely intimate gesture.  "Fin...I am perfectly capable of shaving my own face, thank you very much." 

 

 

Fin's expression softened as he stared into his lover's eyes.  "I know...but I want to."  Tony's face warmed even more as his fiancé temporarily placed the razor down and squirted some of the lather in his palm, rubbing it over his other palm before placing his hands on either side of Tony's face to slowly apply it to his cheeks and his jaw.  To be such a normally mundane sort of task, suddenly with Fin doing it instead of him, it became highly erotic.  Tony's breath hitched as he felt the long fingers caressing his skin. The sensation of his partner's warm hands, along with the slipperiness of the shaving cream, made his pulse race.

 

 

Fin reached over to retrieve the razor; holding one hand under his lover's jaw, he began to slowly slide the razor over Tony's cheek, periodically rinsing off the razor in the water already in the sink.  He smiled knowingly at the blue eyes boring into his as he proceeded to take care of the rest of his partner's face, hearing Tony's shallow breathing through slightly parted lips.  He could almost hear the pounding of his fiance's heart as he finished up his task, and - with one more rinsing out of the razor in the now-soapy water, he placed it down to reach for a towel. 

 

 

Tony's eyes closed as he gently rubbed the luxurious cloth over his face and then placed it down.  "There...Fin whispered huskily, feeling his own desire flaring.  He adored Tony in any format - stubbly face or not - but a freshly showered and shaven Tony was captivating.  He cleared his throat.  "Now for some aftershave, and you'll be all set for the big day." 

 

 

Tony finally seemed to come out of his trance as he reached over to grab Fin's wrist before he could pick up the nearby aftershave bottle.  Fin peered at him perplexed until Tony explained a little sheepishly, "You keep doing what you're doing, and I will never get dressed, you tease!" 

 

 

Fin grinned smugly in realization, knowing that was precisely the effect he was having on his partner.  "Would that be so bad?" he asked innocently.

 

 

"Maybe if I wasn't getting married today, it wouldn't be," Tony explained.  "But you are NOT getting out of it by trying to have some marathon sex with me.  Save that for the honeymoon." 

 

 

"Hmm...I think that might be acceptable," Fin decided with a grin.  Rather reluctantly, it seemed, Fin handed the aftershave to his fiancé and then leaned in to bestow a gentle kiss on his lips.  "Well, then...I guess I'll leave you to finish up.  I have a little something to take care of before the ceremony later today, anyway."

 

 

Tony groaned.  "Fin, you promised!  No business!" 

 

 

His fiancé held up his hands.  "I know, Counselor, and I'm guilty as charged."   Tony looked at him in dismay as he explained, "It'll only take an hour or so, I promise.  You need to meet with Emmett anyway to go over all the last minute details, and you know I'm no good at that sort of thing."

 

 

A set of blue eyes flashed at him.  "Fin..."

 

 

"Tony, it's the bill from the Senate that I've tried to pass for years now," he explained.  "You know what that means to me.  If it had been anything else, I never would have done it.  You have to believe me.  I'll have the driver take me over to my old stomping grounds at the Senate building, meet with my old colleagues, and I'll be back before you have time to even practice tossing out the bridal bouquet."  He placed his hands on either side of Tony's face, his eyes beseeching him to understand.  "I WILL be back on time, Tony," he added softly.  "You know I keep my word." 

 

 

Tony let a deep breath out he didn't realize he had been holding as he finally nodded.  "I know."  He pressed his lips together before advising Fin, "You have until 11:00 to finish up whatever ‘business' you need to conduct. And then I don't care if the entire world is coming to an end!  You WILL stop working, and concentrate on what's important today.  I am NOT letting you get away."

 

 

Fin grinned in relief.  "No worries there, Counselor."  His voice softened as he told Tony, "I have no intention of letting YOU get away, either."  He leaned in to peck Tony on the lips before he explained, "I'm counting on some hot sex for our wedding night."

 

 

He laughed as Tony smacked him on the chest.  "Just don't you forget!" he told Fin as he playfully pushed him aside.  "Now get out of here before I change my mind, and wind up marrying Emmett instead. Remember there's no residency requirement in this state."

 

 

Fin chuckled.  "Ooh...now I'm REALLY scared!" he quipped facetiously.  His face grew more serious as he noticed Tony wasn't quite in the mood for him to be joking.  "I'll be done by then, I promise," he reassured him softly. He turned to go, only to have Tony stop him.

 

"Fin?" 

 

 

"Yeah?"  He stopped to peer over at him.

 

 

"You ARE okay with us having the ceremony here, instead of at the governor's residence, aren't you?"

 

 

Fin tenderly smiled at him.  "Of course I'm okay with it.  I'm fine with whatever makes you happy, Tony.  Although I admit I WAS a little surprised that you changed your mind after mentioning your wish to have an outdoor wedding there.  What made you change your mind?" 

 

 

"I know that's what I said I wanted initially," Tony admitted.  "But THIS is our home, Fin; not that temporary Taj Mahal on the Susquehanna River.  I feel the most comfortable here.  Besides, the more I thought about it taking place at the Governor's residence, the more afraid I became that our wedding would turn into some fucking three-ring circus. Visions of helicopters whirling overhead, and journalists climbing fences came to mind."  He shuddered.  "I want our wedding to be something small, informal, and intimate; not some headline on tomorrow's morning news, complete with some grainy, faraway shots of our ceremony, and quotes from some of your staff who wind up being paid some ungodly, obscene amount to spill what they know, however little it might be."  He paused as he looked around their bedroom.  "God, I didn't realize how much I DID miss this place!"  He sighed as Fin walked back up to him.  Placing his hands on his partner's chest, he cajoled him softly, "Please promise me that we will come back here as much as we can...until you're done with your two terms, and we can live here again permanently." 

 

 

Fin chuckled.  "Well, I like your optimism about my second term," he told him.  He placed his hands on either side of Tony's face as he reassured him, "I promise.  I promise that you and I will come back here frequently until we can make it permanent again.  I miss this place, too, Tony.  So fucking much.  But as long as you're with me - supporting me - like you always have, I can live anywhere.  YOU'RE my home, Tony.  Always."   

 

 

Tony nodded, a lump in his throat and his eyes wet with sentimental tears.  "I love you," he managed to reply in a choked breath.  "So fucking much." 

 

 

"Not as much as I love YOU," Fin told him softly.  "I'll be back soon," he promised him once more as Tony nodded.  With one additional, quick kiss on his lips, Fin turned and headed out of the room, stopping only briefly to pick up his suit jacket lying on the mattress.

 

 

Tony sighed as he watched his lover depart.  He knew Fin was as good as his word, and would stick to his promise. But it just added to his nervousness today. He wanted everything to go perfectly.  He had dreamed of this day for such a long time that he didn't want anything to prevent him from becoming Mr. Tony Cassinelli-O'Connor.  He grimaced; what a mouthful!  But he had waited so long to marry Fin, he would be damned if he wasn't going to take his name as well.  He grinned then, remembering a few weeks back when Fin had noticed something slightly different with the gift he had given him for Christmas.  Once they had become engaged, it had taken him no time at all to rush his briefcase to their favorite jeweler with a somewhat unusual request. But the jeweler had just grinned with a nod, and thirty minutes later he had reemerged from his back workroom with Tony's much-cherished briefcase in hand - along with the letter "B" now missing from the "TCO" part.  Smiling in satisfaction, Tony had tried to stay quiet about the minor change, but it hadn't taken long for Fin - ever the perceptive one - to notice the slight but important change. He had taken no time in teasing him about it, too, but Tony could tell he was silently pleased; he could tell by the look on his face.  Yes, it would be a long, hyphenated surname. But he had no intention of not using it.  And the fact that Fin had agreed as well only made it all the more gratifying and significant. 

 

 

Letting out a deep breath, Tony turned to head toward the master closet, his heart rate beginning to speed up as he walked into the cavernous storage space and spied the tasteful but simple suit hanging in its plastic covering on a hook to the left of the door.  It was the suit that was going to be the one he wore today for his and Fin's wedding ceremony.  Fin's suit was slightly more tailored and elegant, but still complementing his own - was hanging on the opposite side.   Tony took a moment to walk over to it, lifting the thin plastic to slide his right hand up the smooth, expensive fabric, imagining Fin wearing it as they said their vows.  He might not hold onto the tradition of the ‘bride not seeing the groom,' as his fiancé had so quaintly put it earlier, but he was superstitious enough that he had insisted on Fin not modeling his wedding suit for him before the actual ceremony, and the same with him.  Fin had scoffed at his decision when Tony had told him a few weeks ago at their mutual fittings, but nonetheless he had agreed to go along with it, even scheduling separate times with their favorite tailor, Mr. Martino, so they wouldn't be tempted to take a peek at each other.  Smiling as he thought about his partner wearing the suit and how it would look on him, Tony carefully replaced the plastic and moved to slip on some casual clothes to wear during his meeting with Emmett.  He would be donning his suit an hour or so before the ceremony at 1:00.

 

Casting one last, lingering look at his suit, he reached for a casual polo shirt and a pair of khakis, preparing for what would be his last breakfast as a single man and smiling at the thought.  "Hurry, Fin," he murmured.  "I can't wait to be married to you." 

 


 

Same time - Britin

 

"Oh, my God. The world really must be coming to an end."

 

"Shut up," Alex retorted as Brian chuckled, making his way into the kitchen where she was eating some cereal.  "It's not MY fault you made me get up at the crack of dawn." 

 

Brian reached up into the cabinet above the counter to retrieve his favorite mug - one that Gus had given him for Father's Day a couple of years ago.  The "Bestest Father in the Whole Wide World" writing on it made him smile every time.  "Oh, I know. It's a terrible injustice having to get up before noon on a weekend, isn't it?" 

 

Alex huffed indignantly as Brian sat down beside her on one of their barstools.  "That's not the worst part."

 

Brian nodded.  "I know, I know.  How horrible, having to stay at the diner with Debbie."  He shuddered for effect.  "You might actualy have to help her out if it gets busy."  He shook his head.  "The inhumanity of it all.  Let's just hope their liability insurance is up-to-date, or they could wind up having to close down after you assault one of the diners again." 

 

"Ha, Ha," she countered.  "Are you and Justin going to be eating at the diner when you pick me up later?  Please say yes," she pleaded, smiling sweetly at him. "I'll serve you myself."

 

"Nice try, Flo.  But I wouldn't go anywhere near you and a serving tray.  One person being hit in the head in this family is more than enough."  He finished up the last of his coffee and placed the mug into the sink.  "Now chop, chop!  Justin and I have to be at Fin and Tony's in two hours, and by the time we drop you off at the diner and get to the airport, we'll be cutting it close as it is." 

 

"Yeah, it's so tedious having to fly there in a luxury jet." 

 

Brian rolled his eyes.  "Off and on, Alex."

 

Alex frowned.  "Huh?"

 

"Off your ass, and on your feet."  Brian motioned impatiently with his hands as Alex slid off the counter stool and headed toward the hallway.  "Alex?  The bowl?  We don't have maid service here." 

 

Alex sighed dramatically as she grabbed her now empty cereal bowl and spoon to place it in the sink next to Brian's mug.  "Yes, you do," she told him as she turned around.  "You have an unpaid, indentured servant." 

 

Brian snickered.  "Yeah, you really have it rough.  And you know big words."  He chuckled at the expression on Alex's face.  "Come on. Justin's waiting by the car. Grab your jacket and let's go."  He stood there expectantly as she approached him; Alex felt a lurch in her stomach as she walked by him and he turned around to unexpectedly place his hand lightly on her back.  It was a simple gesture, even an instinctive one.  But to Alex, it always made her heart jump whenever Brian did that. It felt odd in a way.  But nice.  Even normal.  If she even knew what normal was - before, that is; before she came here.  Now, as much as she would probably deny it, she couldn't imagine it any other way.

 

"Alex?"

 

She didn't notice she had stopped walking until Brian's voice refocused her attention.  "Yeah?" 

 

"Everything okay?"  Brian peered down into her eyes with concern, all traces of sarcasm gone now.

 

She responded in kind, noticing the serious expression on his face.  "Yeah," she reassured him in dismissal, not wanting to think about a time when she might not be here anymore.  "Can I take my sketchbook and camera with me?" 

 

Brian nodded.  "What? You planning on taking photos of fruit while you're there?  Trust me, you'll see plenty of fruits...uh...fruit at the Liberty Diner." 

 

Grinning, she walked over to the foyer table to retrieve her digital SLR camera and the ever-ready sketchpad lying next to it, along with a box of graphite pencils.  "An artist and a photographer have to be ready at all times," she replied as she waited for Brian to follow.  "Isn't that what you told me before?" 

 

Brian nodded.  "Yeah...I did," he told her softly.  "Justin says that all the time, too.  He never lets an opportunity pass him by, either."  He opened the door, observing Justin leaning against the driver's side door.  Brian couldn't help staring at his husband.  Wearing a black, long-sleeved, lightweight sweater and a pair of form-fitting jeans, he looked amazing this morning.  No longer was this a young twink; Justin was still youthful, but he had matured in so many ways:  mentally, emotionally, and physically.  He still was as slender as always, but there was more definition to his body now.

 

"I was about to leave without you two," Justin kidded them as he opened the driver's seat.  He pecked Brian on the lips as his husband walked up to him.  "Everything all right?"

 

Brian nodded as Alex opened up the backseat of the vehicle and slid inside behind the driver's seat.  "Fine."  His eyes swept up and down Justin's body as he whispered in his ear, "You look hot, by the way."

 

Justin blushed, despite how many times Brian had told him that over the years.  "Brian," he murmured self-consciously. 

 

"Suits in the car, Sunshine?"

 

Justin nodded.  He and Brian would be changing into their suits once they arrived at Fin and Tony's home. "Everything we need is in the trunk. And don't worry," he added as Brian's eyes widened.  "They're well-cushioned.  There won't be a single wrinkle on your body...well, on the suit, anyway."  He yelped as he received a sharp smack on his ass.  "Hey!"

 

Brian laughed as Alex rolled her eyes.  She figured when these two were in their eighties, they would still be flirting with each other.  "Can we get going?" she asked.  "I thought we were pressed for time."

 

"She's right," Brian told his husband.  "We'd better get going, or Alex might not get to wash the lunch dishes."

 

"Ha, ha.  You're a regular comedian." 

 

Justin laughed as he and Brian joined Alex.  Soon they were out on the freeway, heading toward the Pitts and then ultimately to Harrisburg to witness Tony and Fin's wedding.

 


 

"Alex!  Sweetheart!" Debbie screeched excitedly as she saw her former helper entering the diner.  Alex's face turned red as everyone there turned to see who Debbie was greeting like she was some rock star.  "Come and give me a hug!" she demanded as both Justin and Brian snickered.

 

Alex flashed them a scowl, giving Debbie just enough time to rush over and sweep her up into a breath-stealing embrace.  "Can't breathe!" she protested with a gasp before Debbie finally let go of her.  Gulping in some much-needed air, she turned to the two men behind her to say, "I want to go back home." 

 

The two husbands flashed a quick look between them at the word ‘home' before they both gave Debbie an affectionate peck on the cheek, in essense ignoring Alex's request.  "Hey, Deb," Brian greeted her as she placed one hand on either man's cheek, patting them a lot gentler than she had hugged Alex.  "Can we get a couple of things to go?  We're running late here."

 

She nodded.  "Sure thing, Kiddo.  White omelet on whole wheat muffin and a small coffee for tall, dark, and impatient...and one Grand Country Breakfast with a large orange juice for Sunshine here." 

 

Alex giggled as Brian glared at her.  "I don't need a side of sarcasm," Brian told her.

 

Debbie snapped her gum, one hand on her ample hip as she replied, "I don't know why.  You normally do." She smiled sweetly at him before turning to Alex.  "Come on, Honey.  I need a coffee server, and I think you'll fit the bill perfectly." 

 

Alex wrinkled her nose in distaste.  "I hate coffee!"

 

"Well, I'm not asking you to drink it, just serve it," Debbie quipped immediately.  "Let's go.  I already have your old nametag ready for you.  It'll be like you never left."

 

"Really? I would have thought you would have had it bronzed by now, and in the Diner Hall of Fame." 

 

Debbie snorted.  "Not yet. But I DID have that serving tray you used registered as a lethal weapon.  Now quit stalling; some of these people get violent without their caffeine." 

 

Both men grinned as Alex rolled her eyes, but grudgingly did as Debbie instructed, taking care to stash her camera, sketchpad, and pencils behind the counter so they were safely secure; soon she was wearing one of the white diner aprons and dishing the java out to patrons at the counter. 

 

"Well, I don't think we'll have to worry about Alex while Debbie's here," Brian decided with a smirk.  "It couldn't have happened to a nicer girl, too.  Almost brings a tear to my eye." 

 

"Brian, play nice," Justin chided him as his husband rolled his lips under mischievously. 

 

"Give me a minute.  I'm getting all choked up here."

 

Justin smacked him on the arm as Debbie walked over with their breakfasts to go.  "I see you must be acting like your ever-present, charming self," she quipped to Brian as she handed the two Styrofoam boxes to Justin.  "Make sure you feed the beast quickly for your own protection."

 

Justin grinned as he handed her a twenty and pecked her on the cheek.  "Thanks for watching over Alex for us today."

 

Debbie gave him a brief but firm bear hug.  "Don't tell HER this, Sunshine, but I don't mind.  She makes things...interesting.  And she helps me to feel young again.  At least young-er," she clarified as he grinned back at her.  She eyed Brian.  "Reminds me of you when you were her age. Only YOU didn't hit people over the head with serving trays.  You thought of more creative ways to get your point across, like that time you took one of my bras and used it to lob water balloons at Mrs. Perkins next door."

 

Brian shrugged.  "Well, the D cup was just the right size.  And since she yelled at us every time we got in the pool for being ‘too loud,' I thought it was an appropriate response at the time."   

 

 

Justin laughed.  "What?  Did you really do that?" he asked his husband, who merely arched an eyebrow in response.  He shook his head.  "No...on second thought, you don't need to answer that.  I'm sure you did," he added with a grin.  "Do tell me more," he implored Debbie as he turned his attention back to her.

 

"I thought you were in a hurry." 

 

"We have time for this."

 

"No, we don't," Brian insisted.

 

"There's always time to talk about the good old days." 

 

"Justin, your breakfast is getting cold."

 

"It'll keep." 

 

Brian rolled his eyes and sighed in resignation as Debbie nodded.  She sighed in reminiscence as a nostalgic smile appeared on her face.  "I used to love living over on Dyer Street.  It was such a beautiful little part of town...before that damn paper factory built near there."  She paused for a moment as she went back in time.  "Now where was I?  Oh, yeah. Well, there was that one time at Halloween that I came home from the diner, and found Brian making caramel apples.  They'd taken a bag of my candy, melted them, and then used them to dip the apples in it.  He stuck a Popsicle stick in them, and then dipped them in crushed peanuts.  Looked really attractive.  He told me he was going to wrap them up in Saran wrap, and help me give them out for trick-or-treating.  Back then, you didn't have to use a fucking x-ray on your treats; you just trusted everybody in the neighborhood, because you knew them."

 

Brian remained inexplicably silent as Justin prodded her.  "So what happened? There had to be more to the story than that." 

 

She guffawed.  "Of course there was.  While my son was upstairs finishing his homework, Brian was downstairs dipping something in caramel, all right...only it was my bag of white onions instead of apples.  You should have heard all the nasty phone calls I got the next morning after all the neighbor kids had tasted their homemade treat." 

 

Justin laughed.  "Brian!" 

 

"Well, they WERE sweet onions.  I can't help it if the craze didn't catch on." 

 

"Oh, my God," Justin replied in amusement. 

 

"Oh, there's more," Debbie interjected.  "That was mild compared to the incident with the sheriff's son and the handcuffs..."

 

Brian abruptly grasped Justin by the elbow as his husband eyed him curiously.  "Oh, look at the time!  Sorry, Deb, we have to run."  Before Brian could hustle him out the door, however, all three of them stopped and turned at the sound of a man's voice rising in anger from several feet away.  Alex was standing next to him, a bowl of salad in one hand with her other hand resting on her hip. It was obvious from her rigid stance and facial expression that she was at the very least annoyed - if not downright angry - with the man who was sitting closest to her in one of the booths. 

 

"Are you fucking deaf?" the man was bellowing at her.  "I ordered a taco salad, not some damn Caesar salad!" 

 

"Oh, my bad," Alex retorted sarcastically.  "Well, in that case, let's give you a tossed salad on the house!"  Suddenly she turned the bowl upside down, the contents of the salad scattering all over his head, with some of it sticking to his coarse, brown, shoulder-length hair, while the rest wound up either down the neck of his shirt or on his lap.  "Oh, so sorry! I forgot the dressing!"  She picked up the small, silver pitcher of garlic ranch dressing from the table and proceeded to pour that, too, over his head.  "There, that's much better!" she declared, as the other patrons roared in response while he sputtered in an attempt to gain some modicum of dignity. That was hard to do, however, in his present state.

 

"Why, you...you..."  His face growing red with fury, he began to rise to his feet.  Before he could get up, however - or the others could come to Alex's rescue - the man's burly companion stood up across from his friend in the booth and grabbed his wrist in warning, his biceps straining underneath his shirt.

 

"You had that coming, Charlie," he told his friend, who gaped at him in shock.  "You were being a prick.  Now sit down and shut the fuck up!"

 

"But..."  Charlie began.  The fiery look in his stronger friend's eyes, however - and the glare of other diners nearby - warned him that he'd better not go any further as he sighed in disgust and slumped back down in his booth.

 

His friend peered up at Alex.  "Check, please.  I think we're done here."  He stared over at his friend to ensure he didn't say or do anything further before gazing back up at their petite server. 

 

Alex grinned at him.  "Coming right up." 

 

The two men and Debbie listened to the rest of the exchange and watched Alex walk away unscathed before Debbie commented dryly, "I see things are back to normal.  Excuse me, boys.  I think we'll need a mop after they're gone," she told them as Justin hesitated.  She raised her voice to call over at Kiki, who was standing in the back of the room near the kitchen door.  "Kiki!   We've had an accident here!  Oh, and get Mr. Personality a towel!"   She snickered as the man glared over at her.   Turning back to Brian and Justin, she nodded with a smile.  "Go. Don't want the best men to be late." 

 

"Are you sure?" Justin pressed her, watching as Alex walked back over to the booth and placed the check down in front of Charlie's companion.  He made sure that Alex wasn't bothered anymore as she turned and headed over to grab the coffeepot to fill up some more diners' cups at the counter before he turned his attention back to Debbie.  "The day is just beginning," he reminded her. 

 

Debbie laughed.  "Like I said...she makes things interesting."  They all watched as the bully wiped himself off with a towel that Kiki had brought over to him before he stiffly rose from his seat, throwing it down in disgust as he headed toward the cash register, watched carefully by his bigger friend.   "Don't worry," she told Justin.  "Marty's in the back cooking today.  If he tries anything else before he leaves, he'll be out here faster than Kiki can put on her false eyelashes.  We've got this under control." 

 

Justin eyed her skeptically, but finally nodded.  "If you say so..."  He breathed a sigh of relief as he watched the two men finally head out the door, and the patrons in the diner resumed their normal conversation as if nothing had happened.  "Okay, then," he responded, shaking his head.  "Alex, we're going," he called over to their foster child, who peered back at him from behind the counter.  "Please try to keep the remaining menu items in their respective dinnerware until we get back, okay?  No more tossed salads." 

 

Alex shrugged.  "I'll try. But I won't promise when it comes to the hot fudge sundaes.  I'm kidding!" she explained as Justin stared back at her in horror over the thought.  "Chill!  Sheesh."

 

Brian tittered as Justin sighed.  "Let's go before I change my mind." 

 

Brian chuckled.  "She'll be fine as long as Warden Debbie's here to watch over her.  Actually, it's the diners I'd be more worried about." 

 

"Give Fin and Tony my best!" Debbie told them as they finally headed toward the door.  "And bring me some cake!" 

 

Climbing back into their vehicle a minute later, both men temporarily just sat there in the silence before Justin finally said, "Tell me I just imagined what happened." 

 

"Nope.  Not your imagination.  Tell me again why we're considering actually adopting this juvenile delinquent version of Hannibal?"

 

One side of Justin's mouth crooked upward.  "No idea," he told him as Brian nodded with a grin of his own.  "But one thing's for certain; life will never be dull with Alex around." 

 

"For once we agree on something when it comes to her," Brian replied as he finally started up the car.  Letting out a deep breath, he pulled the vehicle out into traffic and proceeded toward the airport. 

 


 

Tony and Fin's home - 10:58 a.m.

 

 

Tony took another sip of his coffee, noticing his hand slightly shaking.  He placed the china mug back down on the counter as his eyes focused on the small box of chocolate-chip bagels that was sitting nearby.  Visions of previous mornings here when he would rise earlier than his lover to bring him a breakfast tray with his favorite coffee, one of those bagels (his favorite), and some cream cheese rose to his mind as he glanced up at the clock.  "Fin, where are you, damn it?" he fretted. 

 

 

Emmett reached to place his hand on Tony's shoulder and gave him a reassuring squeeze.  "Now, now, Mr. Attorney.  Don't convict the man before he has a fair trial." 

 

 

Tony groaned.  "Em, he has a bad habit of losing track of time.  And I know sometimes things can come up unexpectedly. But I swear, if that man does not get here soon, I'm going to combust!"

 

 

Just then, Tony heard the garage door opening, and his heart thumped in his chest in reaction.  "About time!" he exclaimed, heaving a huge sigh of relief. 

 

 

Emmett grinned smugly.  "See, I told you!" 

 

 

Fin barely had time to leave his car and open the door leading into the kitchen before his fiancé launched himself into his arms. 

 

 

Fin gasped in surprise at the unexpected assault before chuckling.  "Miss me much, Counselor?" he asked.  Tony's reply was to plaster his lips against his for several seconds as their arms wound around each other like they hadn't been together in months.

 

 

Finally breaking off the kiss, Fin pulled back slightly to grin.  Waggling his eyebrows, he commented a little breathlessly, "If I'm going to get that sort of greeting, I need to cut things closely more often."  He smiled tenderly at his partner before he heard someone clearing their throat.  "Hi, Em," he greeted their guest. 

 

 

Emmett grinned, thinking their two PDAs reminded him of another couple he knew well.  "Mr. Governor," he greeted him.  "I don't suppose I can get one of those gubernatorial hellos, too?"

 

 

Fin laughed as he and Tony walked over to him.  The two men shook hands as he told him, "No, I only reserve those sorts of hellos for very special people." 

 

 

"ONE person," Tony reminded him sternly as Fin grinned. 

 

 

"I stand corrected."  He paused for a moment to peer down at the legal pad lying on the counter.  "Get everything squared away for today?" he asked them.

 

 

Emmett nodded.  "Everything's all set.  Your favorite reverend here is all set to conduct his very first ceremony."  He clapped briefly in joy as he added, "I can't wait! I almost feel like I'M getting married!" 

 

 

The two partners laughed.  "Well, you'll certainly be the most enthusiastic - and unusual - minister anyone has ever had," Fin commented dryly. He had been a little taken aback when Tony had told him that Emmett himself would be presiding over the ceremony - having applied for and being granted one of those mail-in minister licenses for just this occasion.  But Tony seemed so excited about the idea that Fin ultimately decided, What the hell?, and agreed to it.  In the long run, he didn't care WHO married them, as long as it was legal and Tony was happy with it.  It would certainly not be the typical, staid ceremony one often witnessed, that was for sure.  "Either of you heard from our best men?" 

 

 

Tony nodded.  "Got a text from Justin. They're running a little later than they had anticipated, but he said they should be here at least by noon." 

 

 

"Good," he replied.  "Then I guess all that's left is for us to get dressed."  His eyes drifted downward and then back up at Tony as he added, "Maybe we should take a shower first, though."

 

 

Tony laughed.  "Oh, no! I know what you're after, and you are NOT getting any more until after we're legal!" 

 

 

Emmett grinned at them as Fin shrugged.  "Well, it was worth a try," he conceded, smiling.  "Okay, have it your way.  Let's go get dressed then, Mr. Cassinelli."  He paused, adding more softly, "I can't wait to see you all decked out in that suit." 

 

 

Tony smiled.  "Ditto," he replied, his eyes reflecting the love he held for this amazing man.

 

 

Emmett's heart swelled over the expression on both men's faces.  "I'm honored to be marrying you today," he told them sincerely, his eyes tearing up.  "I'm so happy for you!" he said, his voice choked with emotion.  He swallowed as he tried to compose himself.  "Now, shoo!  Get upstairs and start getting ready!  This ceremony is starting promptly at one o'clock, grooms or no grooms!" 

 

 

Both men laughed.  "Well, that might be a little anti-climactic," Fin told him.  "But point taken."  He slid his arm around Tony's waist.  "Let's get going, Counselor."

 

 

"You'll entertain Brian and Justin until we come back down?" Tony asked. 

 

 

Emmett nodded.  "Sure will.  Now go!"  The two grooms nodded back at him as they walked down the hallway and headed toward their bedroom.  Emmett smiled as he watched them go before drinking the remainder of his coffee and placing the mug in the sink.  Taking a deep breath, he decided to go back outside to the patio to make sure everything was in order.

 


 

Fin slid on his crisp, white shirt and buttoned up the sleeves as he reached for his coordinating tie.  "Tony, what are you doing in there?" he called out in exasperation.  "Rome was built in less time than this! Come on, Counselor!  You were the one who was..."  The remainder of Fin's words died promptly on his lips as Tony opened the door from the walk-in closet and headed back into the bedroom, now fully dressed. 

 

 

"I think I'm ready," he replied softly as he stopped to stand in front of their full-length mirror, observing the way the suit molded against the contours of his body.  The tailor had done a magnificent job, and he felt like a million bucks wearing the smooth, expensive fabric.   As he peered over at his fiancé, however, he noticed Fin staring at him intently, an indecipherable look on his face.  He frowned.  "What?" he asked, twisting his head to peer behind him as he looked into the mirror.  "Is there something wrong?"  For once, he felt a little unsure of himself.  He may have tried some very important cases in court - always unflappable and confident while doing so - but suddenly he felt a little unsure of himself.  "Fin?"

 

 

At last, Fin found his voice as he walked over to him.  "Tony..."  He walked all the way around his fiancé before stopping to face him as he shook his head in amazement.  "You're...God, you're breathtaking."  He smoothed down the lapels of Tony's suit jacket, noticing how the silver pinstripe in his tie brought out the blue of his eyes. 

 

 

Tony's heart lurched with joy as he smiled at him.  "You look pretty dapper yourself, Governor," he murmured as he reached up to rest his hand against the smoothly-shaven cheek.  Fin smiled back at him, the love for him clearly showing on his face.  "We're really going to do this, aren't we?" he whispered, almost too choked up to speak. 

 

 

"Yeah," Fin whispered as he reached to grasp Tony's hand.  "We really are.  And I can't wait to marry you." 

 

 

Tony's face flushed over his fiance's fervent words, spoken with such heartfelt emotion.  "You know I feel the same," he whispered.  The two men came together for a kiss, which was only interrupted after a few moments by a familiar voice.

 

 

"Tony?" 

 

 

The two men broke apart as Tony replied, "In here, Justin."  They could hear the sound of footsteps coming down the hallway before Fin's son and his husband appeared in the doorway. 

 

 

Fin smiled over at the two men.  "Hey.  Glad that you are here."

 

 

Justin smiled as he walked in ahead of Brian.  "You know we wouldn't have missed it."  He shook Fin's hand and received a brief hug from Tony.  "Wow, Tony. That suit looks amazing on you," Justin told him as he admired the way it fit him perfectly.

 

 

"I was just telling him that," Fin replied as he peered over at his son.  He reached to shake his hand, holding it for just a moment longer than necessary before letting it go.  "Brian," he greeted his son warmly.  "Thank you for being here to witness our wedding.  And especially for agreeing to be my best man." 

 

 

"Fin."  Brian nodded in acknowledgement, suddenly feeling a bit self-conscious as he reached over to shake Tony's hand, earning him a smile. 

 

 

"Brian," he greeted the other man as he shook his hand.  "Did you run into Emmett downstairs?" Tony asked Justin. 

 

 

Justin nodded.  "Yeah, we found him out back.  He told me he was worried earlier that it might rain ...but the sun's beginning to pop back out, so I think you'll be able to through with your outdoor ceremony."

 

 

"That's a relief," Tony exclaimed, glad that they wouldn't have to alter their plans.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

When he and Fin had decided to marry here at the house, the first place they both thought of to hold the ceremony was the large gazebo that graced a corner of their backyard.  It was an older, somewhat weathered structure – having been constructed when the house was first built – but it was a very peaceful, soothing environment, surrounded with lattice work and trailing vines of various colorful flora.  It was still too early for the vines to be in bloom, but the gazebo had stood there for such a long time that the vines were now thick and intricately interwoven, serving as a shady respite from the sun which often beat down onto the backyard.  Tony and Fin had spent many a day – and some evenings – just sitting inside, enjoying each other’s company while they conversed over a glass of wine, enjoying their solitude. They found the soft whoosh of the trees blowing in a warm breeze, and the twinkling stars they could see out in this more secluded part of the city, very comforting.  As soon as they had opted to hold their wedding here – where their love had grown and matured into the deep, abiding bond they now had – it seemed only natural that they would also decide to marry in the gazebo.

 

 

 

 

The decision to only include Brian and Justin had not been a hasty one. It had evolved from their original plan that had included many of their friends and family members in an intimate but elegant affair, with all the trappings of a typical wedding befitting a respected and important politician.  But the more both men thought about it, the more they decided that this was what was appropriate - a quiet, small ceremony with a friend-turned-minister, and the two men that had appeared in their lives so unexpectedly, but had eventually become so important to them.  Soon, they would hold a post-wedding celebration and include everyone that had originally planned on inviting. But for today, this felt right to both of them.  It felt fitting. 

 

 

Justin nodded.  "He said he'd like to talk to you for a minute, by the way.  Just some minor, last-minute things."  He grinned.  "I'm not sure who's the most nervous here...you and Fin - or the minister."  You would think Barbara herself was attending."  In response to the perplexed look on his friend's face, Justin began to explain about Emmett's obsession with a certain famous singer. 

 

 

It was Justin's turn to frown as the two men burst out laughing over his explanation like they were sharing some inside joke. 

 

 

"Sorry, Justin," Fin explained.  "What Emmett doesn't realize is that I know her.  I've met her at quite a few dinner parties over the years, and if I had asked her, I think she would have actually come to my wedding." 

 

 

"Oh, shit! Are you kidding?"  Both men shook their heads in astonishment.  "Do me a favor, and don't tell Emmett that," Brian told them.  "He would have a heart attack and maybe even keel over dead merely at the thought."

 

 

"Oh, we can't have that, or we wouldn't be able to get married, and Tony would never forgive me for that."

 

 

"Fin!"  Tony whacked him lightly on the arm as his fiancé chuckled.  "Even I have some limits!" 

 

 

Fin grinned back at him.   "Okay," he conceded.  "Maybe.  Either way, I promise not to divulge my connections with Babs to our minister... at least, until after our wedding. Deal?" 

 

 

Tony smiled.  "Deal," he agreed.  "Now do you think you could manage to finish getting dressed? We DO have a wedding to attend." 

 

 

"Yes...Hmm...I seem to remember something about that," he murmured as he seemed to be lost in thought.  "But I'm getting older, so if I forget things from time to time, you'll just have to remind me again." 

 

 

Tony rolled his eyes.  "Like THAT would ever happen.  Come on, Justin.  Let's leave the old men to hash out what needs to be done, and see what Emmett wants."  Both men laughed as their respective partners snorted in reaction before they exited the room, leaving father and son alone for the time being.

 


 

Fin looped the tie around his neck as he stood in front of the dresser mirror, trying to knot it just so.  But to his annoyance, he realized his hands were slightly shaking.  He shook his head silently.  Me...normally unflappable, self-assured Fintan O'Connor...rendered nervous by a beautiful blond who I'm about to marry.  "Damn it," he muttered under his breath in frustration as he dropped his hands to his sides.  He glanced over at his son standing slightly behind and to the right of him as Brian chuckled.

 

 

"You, too, huh?" he asked.

 

 

"Hmm?" 

 

 

"I think I know exactly how you feel," Brian explained. 

 

 

"You do? So you can't tie a tie, either?" 

 

 

Brian grinned as he walked over to his father, grasping him by the shoulders to turn him slightly to face him.  Fin thought fleetingly of how amazing it was that the two of them were the exact same height - and probably the same clothing size as well - as his son shook his head.  "No, I AM capable of that feat," he told him.  "Normally.  Except the day I was getting married to Justin. Then it seemed like I was all thumbs." 

 

 

Fin grinned back at him ruefully.  "You, too, huh?" 

 

 

Brian nodded as he reached over to loosen his father's tie so he could straighten it out.  Holding the bottom of the elegant, silk material securely, he deftly pushed the knot upward to tie it properly.  "Yeah...well, when it comes to Justin, it certainly applies.  Ever since the first day we met, he's always been capable of making me do and feel things I never thought I was even capable of."  He paused before adding, "But that's not necessarily a bad thing."  He smiled softly.  "In fact, it's a pretty damn good thing.  I don't think I would be nearly the man I am today if it wasn't for his influence. That, and my little boy."  He shook his head almost in disbelief.  "I never thought I would ever want to be a father, at least not in the true sense of the word.  But Gus made me change my mind.  He's an amazing son."  He dropped his hands to his side to scrutinize his father, nodding in approval.  "There.  Put your suit on, and you will look quite respectable now."

 

 

"Thanks."  He paused for a moment.  "You know...Gus isn't the only one," Fin stated.

 

 

Brian arched an eyebrow at him questioningly.  "The only what?" he asked.

 

 

One side of Fin's mouth quirked upward as he explained, "The only amazing son.  I'm a very lucky man in a lot of ways, Brian." 

 

 

"Yeah....well..."  Brian cleared his throat, feeling his face growing warm.  He couldn't quite figure out how to reply to that, or how to react to the intense look his father was giving him.  He had never really had a father - not in the true sense of the word, anyway - so this was unfamiliar territory to him.  He decided the flippant approach was the most comfortable one.  "I guess I am pretty amazing," he finally said with a smirk, trying to lighten the mood somewhat.  "Must be my genes....Prada, Gucci..."

 

 

Fin immediately realized what his son was doing as he nodded back at him and laughed softly.  Sliding his arms into his suit jacket and straightening it up, he briefly studied himself in the mirror to make sure he looked the way he wanted before deciding, "I think I'm ready. At least as ready as I'll ever be.  What do you say to us amazing men heading downstairs and joining the rest of our party?"

 

 

Brian nodded as the two men headed toward the door, feeling his father's hand lightly resting on his shoulder.  He didn't acknowledge the somewhat intimate gesture.  But he felt it nonetheless.