Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

The bond between Alex and Gus grows; Fin arrives for the Governor's Ball with family and friends to celebrate his inauguration. 

 

7:00 - Harrisburg Convention Center - Parisian Ballroom - 1st Floor

 

"Holy shit," Debbie murmured as she and Carl entered through a set of double doors leading into the convention center's largest ballroom; they were getting their first glimpse of the venue for the official Governor's Ball.  A tuxedoed man had scanned their invitations before allowing them entry, agreeing to give it back to Debbie when she asked to keep it as a souvenir. Now she stood just inside, gripping Carl's arm as her eyes lit up with amazement.  She craned her neck to peer up at the immense, crystal chandeliers hanging from the ceiling.  The elegant room was decorated in muted shades of purple and gold, with images of trees cast in shadow dancing on the walls.  A large movie screen was set up on one side, displaying highlights of Fin's campaign from the past year.  Round, elegantly appointed tables were scattered throughout the room, with part of the highly polished floor being kept clear for dancing after the buffet dinner was over.  An alcove near the back of the room was already set up for a 10-piece orchestra, their instruments at the ready for the first song. Gold and lavender metallic streamers were hung everywhere, glinting off the chandeliers and flooding the room with pinpricks of sparkling light.  It was obvious that for this one night no expense had been spared to acknowledge and celebrate Pennsylvania's newest governor. 

 

ballroom

 

band

 

 

"Wow," Kathy murmured as she walked up to stand near Debbie and Carl with her husband.  "This is incredible," she commented, echoing Debbie's feelings as Sean slid his arm around his wife.  "This reminds me of Brian and Justin's wedding reception, at least with how elegant it is."  She smiled at Sean and laughed softly.  "We're not used to two such fancy parties within a year of each other, are we, Honey?"

 

Sean grinned at her and nodded.  "At least now we'll get to show off some of our fancy dance moves, though," he replied, explaining to Carl and Debbie that a few months ago they had taken some dance lessons at a nearby Arthur Murray dance studio. 

 

"I'm kind of looking forward to dancing with this lady, too," Carl told them as he gave Debbie a kiss on the cheek.  She reached over to pat his cheek affectionately in reaction. 

 

"Brian told me earlier that we all had places at the Governor's table," Sean informed them, a touch of pride in his voice.  "Want to go find out where it is?"  He pointed toward a table centered near the dance floor that seemed to be more separate from the others. "I'll wager a bet that it's that one." 

 

"Let's go see," Debbie urged them.  She had spied the elaborate buffet set up in the far corner near the table in question. Everything is just...magical, she decided.  Her royal blue gown, her carefully manicured fingernails, the almost mystical look of the room, and all the attention to detail were overwhelming in its scope.  "Isn't this exciting, Carl?" she sighed as her eyes scanned the room.  "It's just like some wonderful fairy tale."  She laughed as she thought about what she had just said.  "And I know a lot of fairies!" Her companions grinned over her sense of humor as she added in awe, "To think I know the governor personally!" 

 

Carl kissed her cheek, his arm lightly settled around her waist.  "Well, come on, then, Queen Debbie. Let's go find your throne."

 

Debbie guffawed.  "Hell, the only throne I've ever sat on is my porcelain god back home." 

 

Carl, Sean and Kathy laughed as Sean asked his wife, "Shall we?" She nodded as the four of them headed toward the front of the ballroom.  The musicians for the orchestra began to walk out toward the small band alcove a few seconds later to begin warming up as the buzz in the room grew louder and more animated.  There was an electricity in the air now as the band struck up a classic tune, bouncy and energetic, and the liquor began to flow as groups of guests milled around, helping to further fuel the excitement while everyone waited for the guest of honor to arrive. 

 


 

Governor's Estate - Same Time

 

Brian adjusted his vest as he studied his reflection in the mirror.  He smiled, finally satisfied with his appearance, before he turned his head to glance over at the master bathroom where a certain blond was still apparently getting dressed.  And he always called ME a fashion queen, Brian thought dryly.  "Justin!  Anytime, Sunshine!  Fin's already called here twice!" 

 

"I'm coming, I'm coming," Justin called out, harried.  "YOU try getting this stupid vest on!" 

 

"I'd rather take it off you..." Brian quipped.  He stopped in mid-sentence as he caught a glimpse of Justin in the bedroom mirror, coming out of the bathroom at last, and he was promptly rendered speechless.  "Holy shit..." he murmured as he turned around to openly ogle his beautiful husband standing a few feet away from him.  "Wow...Where have you been keeping that?"  He would have remembered THIS outfit.  "Now I want to take the rest of it off you, too, and fuck your brains out.  Let's just skip the damn dance recital altogether."  Justin was wearing a navy-blue, tailored tuxedo that fitted perfectly around his silhouette, with a light gray, pin-striped silk shirt, a navy blue satin vest, and a matching bow tie. 

 

Brian's breath caught in his throat; he stared so intensely at Justin that his husband's face flushed a light shade of pink as Brian walked over to him and slowly circled around him, openly ogling him. 

 

Justin laughed at his antics, reminding him of another time after he had shaved his head back in the Pink Posse days.  He had acted nonchalant at the time, but secretly he had fretted a bit over how Brian would react to his buzz cut; it turned out, though, that he had had nothing to worry about.  "What?" he asked, as he twisted his upper body to try and look behind him.  "Do I have something on backward?  Food in my teeth?  Did I forget something?" 

 

Standing a couple feet away from him, Brian shook his head.  "No...You didn't forget a thing.  It's just that you...You look..."  He wasn't even sure he had the proper word to describe him at the moment.  "...incredible," he finally settled on, earning a full wattage smile from his lover.

 

"I do?"  Both of them experienced a ‘déjà vu' moment as their minds traveled back in time to several years ago, when they had stood in front of a mirror inside a changing room, being fitted for their wedding suits.  It just hadn't been the right time back then, but as Brian moved closer to his soulmate, he couldn't help feeling extremely thankful that they had finally followed through on their dream, because he couldn't remember a time when he had been happier than he was right now.  

 

He gripped Justin's upper arms gently, pushing their bodies together as he replied, "Yes.  You've always been beautiful. But today I think you've outdone yourself.  You look good enough to eat. In fact, if we don't leave right now, new suit or not I will not be responsible for my actions if I rip every bit of your clothing off and fuck you senseless over that couch over there."

 

Justin laughed.  "Well...As tempting as that sounds," he began, as Brian rolled his lips under playfully, "I think I'll take Option B:  attend Fin's celebration - and feast on what I'm sure will be a spectacular banquet - and then when we get home later, I'll let you feast on something else."  He smirked up at him and then winked.  "Deal?" 

 

Brian sighed heavily in melodramatic fashion.  "Well...I guess that will have to suffice.  As long as I get a small sneak preview first." 

 

"I think that can be arranged," Justin whispered as he slid his arms up Brian's chest to link his hands behind his husband's neck.  He pulled Brian's head down to capture his lips with his, nibbling at the lower lip until their tongues emerged to do a little preliminary fucking of their own.  Several seconds later, the two of them reluctantly broke it off, Justin taking a moment to straighten up Brian's suit jacket and smooth down some auburn hair that was sticking out where he had been feathering it through his fingers.  Allowing himself a few seconds to catch his breath, he reached up to tuck some hair behind Brian's left ear as he told him, "You know, you look pretty damn hot yourself, Mr. Taylor-Kinney." 

 

Brian appeared aghast.  "Was that ever in question?" he remarked as Justin laughed. 

 

"No, of course not," he assured him with a smile.  "Ready?"

 

Brian nodded, reaching to grab his house keys from a nearby side table.  "Yeah.  And then maybe after tonight, the two of us can finally get off this political merry-go-round."  He reached to clasp Justin's hand as the two of them proceeded toward the bedroom door.

 

"Yeah," Justin agreed. "Then all we have to worry about is Alex."

 

Brian groaned.  "Don't remind me.  You think we could just forget to pick her up on the way out?"  Their foster child was presently getting ready in a bedroom down the hall, although she had been less than enthusiastic about the whole thing.  And she had been adamant about NOT getting dressed up for the event tonight, telling them in no uncertain terms that she would wear something other than her jeans and a tee-shirt, but definitely nothing fancy - or ‘prissy,' in her words. 

 

His husband grinned.  "I don't think that will work.  Besides, Gus is down in her suite, too, remember?"  As was his custom lately, Gus continued to be Alex's faithful shadow, sticking close to her at every turn.  As soon as he had had his bath earlier and his father had helped him get dressed, he had insisted on having his father accompany him down to Alex's bedroom suite to see if she was ready, too, wanting to show her his new pants and shirt that his father had bought for him for the celebration this evening.  Brian had been a little surprised that Alex had actually seemed okay with Gus staying in her sitting room area while she got dressed in her attached bedroom, but only after making him promise he wouldn't touch any of her things.  Brian had come prepared at the time, however, leaving Gus with a ‘superheroes' coloring book and a small box of crayons until she was ready.

 

As the two men walked down the hallway to Alex's suite located a few doors down, they were surprised to see the two of them sitting quietly together side-by-side on the couch, Justin's sketchbook lying open in front of them on the coffee table.  Brian opened his mouth to call out to them, only to have Justin grip his arm to get his attention and shake his head. 

 

"Now draw Daddy and Papa!" Gus urged excitedly as he leaned over the sketchbook, one of his little hands gripping her upper arm as Alex bit her lower lip in concentration. 

 

"Hold on, Gus," she gently scolded him.  "Give me time."  Her companion jiggled restlessly by her side as he watched her intently working on his request - a replica of Britin's backyard, complete with the back of the house, the patio and the pool, along with him, Alex, his father, and his papa. 

 

"Don't forget my tire swing," Gus reminded her.  "And the stables.  Oh...and put some horses out in the pasture, too."

 

"Gus!" Alex protested.  "Don't give me anything else, or I'll be here forever."  But there was no bite in her words as the two men noticed her rolling her eyes, and Gus seemed undaunted by her statement. 

 

"One of the horses has to be brown and white," he continued as Alex shook her head in amusement. 

 

"Gus, I don't have any colored pencils," she reminded him.  "You'll just have to imagine it's brown and white, okay?" 

 

Gus nodded.  "Okay," he agreed.  He watched, entranced, as his vision quickly came to life.  His eyes grew large as the young girl continued to include each of the elements he wanted in his drawing, until, finally, she was finished. 

 

"There!" she exclaimed as she leaned back, placing her hands briefly behind her back as she tried to stretch some of the stiffness out of her body from leaning over the coffee table.  "How's that look?" 

 

Gus beamed at her.  "It's wonderful!" he cried, clapping his hands in happiness.  "It looks just like my backyard at Daddy's house!"  He frowned, however, when he noticed something.

 

"What?" Alex probed, noticing his reaction.  "I put everything you want in there," she pointed out.

 

"But you forgot something!" Gus told her with dismay. 

 

Alex scanned the drawing as she picked up the sketchbook to take a closer look.  "I don't see anything missing." 

 

"You, Alex!" Gus pointed out.  "You're not in it!" 

 

The two men watched as Alex turned her head to peer over at Gus's expressive, brown eyes.  His face was so open and trusting, and she couldn't help tearing up at the clear concern on his face.  Swallowing hard with emotion, she nodded, unable temporarily to speak.  She had never had anyone in her life before who admired her and came so close to idolizing her like Gus did, and it threatened to overwhelm her.  Bracing the sketchpad down on her lap, she reached once more for the pencil.  "Where should I be?" she asked Gus.

 

"Right next to me," he told her, pointing to an empty spot near his sketched figure, which was currently perched on top of the slide for the swing set.  "You should be on one of the swings," he decided as she nodded, drawing a likeness of herself sitting on one of the swings, her hands gripped around the chains. She hesitated briefly before placing a smile on her face.  "There...how's that?" 

 

Gus nodded, a beaming smile of satisfaction on his face.  "It's perfect!  Now you need to sign it over in the corner like Papa always does after he's done," he told her as she nodded with a smile, signing her name as simply "Alex" in the lower right-hand corner.  Carefully tearing it out of the book, she handed it to Gus, the pleasure clearly showing on her face as she noticed how happy the little boy looked. 

 

"Thank you, Alex!" Gus exclaimed, a big smile on his face.

 

She nodded at him.  "What will you do with it?" she wondered aloud.

 

"I'll have it framed like Papa does with his drawings, and I'll put it right above my bed at home," he told her as he held it carefully in his small hands.  "I love it." 

 

Alex flushed with embarrassment; she had never had anyone look at her like Gus was at the moment; it was a combination of adoration and awe.  "I'm glad," she whispered, her voice choked with emotion.  This little boy affected her in ways she never would have thought possible.  As he often did around others he felt comfortable with and cared about, Gus impulsively reached over to plant a kiss on her cheek and give her a hug; Alex hesitated for a few moments before she slid her arms around to embrace the small body, lightly patting him on the back a couple of times. They stayed that way for a few seconds until, suddenly feeling a little awkward as well as vulnerable, Alex pulled back. 

 

The two men - who had silently been observing the interaction between Gus and Alex - shared a meaningful glance before Brian cleared his throat to get their attention.

 

"Daddy!  Papa!" Gus cried out in delight as he carried the sketch over to his father and Justin, the paper fluttering in the wind as he ran over to them.  "Look what Alex drew for me!"  He proudly held the drawing up so the two men could look at it.

 

Justin was amazed by the detail and accuracy in Alex's sketch; it was a painstakingly drawn depiction of their home's backyard, even down to the scrollwork on the top of the rear fence's gate, the weathering of the wood planks in the outside stable walls, and even the nostrils of the two horses standing tranquilly in the adjacent paddock.  The sketch of Gus was so real looking as he sat at the top of the slide, Justin could almost imagine him pushing off and sliding down the metal chute toward the ground.  He carefully studied the sketch, and couldn't help being impressed; it would be a waste for Alex not to somehow pursue her talent.  He thought back to his family and friends who had been so instrumental in encouraging him to pursue his dreams; perhaps somehow he could do the same for her.  "This is really good, Alex," he told her with a smile.

 

"It is?" she couldn't help softly asking, afraid to truly believe him.  But her heart skipped a beat as he nodded back at her; for all her bravado and bluster, she admired Justin's work, and if he thought she was good, that was a huge compliment to her.  She didn't really know what else to say except a quiet, "Thank you." 

 

He nodded as Brian affectionately ruffled Gus's hair.  "Why don't we put your drawing down on Alex's dresser until we get back so it doesn't get damaged, okay?  We need to get going; we're already running late." 

 

"Okay, Daddy," Gus agreed as he skipped over to gingerly place the drawing down on top of Alex's dresser, taking a moment to smooth it out with his little hands.  "Can I get it framed, Papa?" he asked Justin, figuring he would know more about it than his father would.  "I want to put it over my bed."

 

Justin smiled as the little boy returned to their side.  "Of course we can," he told him as Gus instinctively reached for his hand.  Brian had long gotten used to his son treating both of them equally, so he was neither surprised nor jealous.   He did smile, however, as Gus moved to stand between them and reached for his hand, also.  He clasped it firmly as he asked him, "Ready?" 

 

Gus nodded. 

 

"Good."  The three of them headed toward the door, only to have Brian stop as he turned around to peer over at Alex, who was still sitting on the couch, her arms hugging her body as if she were unsure of what to do.  As he studied her, he couldn't help thinking how much her body language resembled the same way he used to sit on the couch when he was about her age, especially after his father had yelled at him for something he had done.  No, correct that; after that asshole Jack, his stepfather, had yelled at him - or worse. Thankfully he now knew who his father really was, and fortunately Fin was a man he could actually respect.  "Alex? Coming?"  he asked quietly, holding out his free hand toward her.

 

She briefly hesitated before Gus called out, "Yeah! Come on, Alex! We have to go! There's going to be music and food and dancing and everything!" he told her eagerly.  "Maybe we can have another food fight!" 

 

Brian grinned over at Justin and winked at him as he unexpectedly told his son, "Good idea, Sonny Boy!  I think we'll start with your appetizer first."

 

Gus frowned.  "App'tizer?" he repeated, his face scrunched up.  "What's that?"

 

"That's finger food," Alex told him, as she finally rose from the couch to join them. 

 

Gus looked down at his fingers and contorted his face in disgust.  "I don't want to eat any fingers!" 

 

Everyone laughed as Brian explained patiently, "No, Gus.  She means it's food that you can EAT with your fingers, like veggie sticks, fruit, cheese, or chips."  He lowered his voice as if he were about to divulge a secret as he told him, "I heard they might even have fried shrimp there, too, and chocolate-covered strawberries."  He knew those were two of his son's favorite foods. 

 

Sure enough, Gus's eyes grew wide with delight as he squealed, "Really?"

 

He nodded.  "Yeah, really.  But since you'll be throwing your food around the room, you won't have to worry about eating any of that.  I'll make sure you get a nice salad, though; don't worry." 

 

"No, Daddy!" Gus instantly objected.  "I want to EAT my app'tizers!  I've changed my mind. Alex can throw her food, but I won't."

 

The other three grinned as Brian replied, "Good decision, Sonny Boy."  He turned to Alex and fixed his stare on her.  "And Alex won't be throwing food, either...will you, Alex?"  He arched one eyebrow at her significantly. 

 

She rolled her eyes.  "No, Mr. Kinney," she told him sarcastically before sighing.  "So can we go before all the ‘app'tizers' are gone?" 

 

Brian nodded with a smile.  "After you," he told her as she brushed past him.  Shaking his head and still clutching his son's hand, the two men and Gus followed along behind her, the little boy swinging back and forth gleefully as the two ‘fathers' held their hands high between them and lifted him off his feet, his sounds of glee echoing off the walls as they headed toward the stairs.

 


 

"Sweet!" Alex cried out in astonishment as they emerged outside a few minutes later. "We're going in that?" she asked, her eyes wide with wonder.  A sleek, black, extra-long limousine stood by the front door, with a man wearing a smart, black uniform and hat standing ramrod straight as he held the rear passenger door open for them.  They could see Fin and Tony already inside as they headed toward the vehicle that would take their group to the convention center for the festivities. 

 

Unable to resist the bait, Brian replied, "Unless you'd like to take the bus and come separately," he quipped. 

 

Alex snorted in response as he and Justin grinned at each other.  "Come along, boys and girls," he told Justin and the two children.  "We've got some mingling and hobnobbing to do."

 

Gus frowned, wondering what that meant. He didn't think he had ever hobnobbed or mingled before.  "Daddy, what's that?  Can I do it, too?"

 

Brian chuckled as he followed Gus into the vehicle, making sure his seatbelt was latched as he sat down between him and Justin; Alex chose to sit on the other side near the sliding panel separating the passengers from the driver near the flat screen TV, ogling all the amenities in fascination.  "You sure can, Sonny Boy," he told him with a smile.  "We're all going to do it."

 

"Yay!" Gus cried out happily, even though he still didn't have a clue what it meant; he was just happy that whatever it was, he was going to be included.

 

"Sean and Kathy meeting us there?" Fin asked Brian, who nodded.

 

"Yeah.  They're staying at the hotel across from the convention center.  I tried to get them to stay here, but for whatever reason they said they would feel more comfortable being closer to the venue." 

 

Fin nodded.  "Well, if they need anything at all, please let me know, and I'll see that they get it."

 

Brian nodded back at him.  "Thanks," he told him.  He looked around the spacious vehicle.  He had been in a lot of fancy cars before, including his share of limos, but this one was probably the most opulent he had ever seen.  "This is really something," he commented, noticing the gleaming, burl wood trim, and feeling the luxuriousness of the seats.  "This going to be your everyday ride?" he teased him.

 

Fin harrumphed.  "Hell, no!" he told him firmly.  "I am not going to be squired around in something like this.  That would be such a waste of money, and I don't feel comfortable with all this ostentatiousness.  I've already told Don that I want something a lot simpler - and a lot more fuel efficient. And can you hear my naysayers if I drive around in this thing?  No, thanks. I told him to find me a nice, medium-sized sedan."  He didn't tell everyone that Don had insisted on installing bullet-proof glass before he would allow him to switch vehicles, however.  He especially did not want Tony to worry about him anymore than he already did.

 

"Well, I think it's cool," Alex commented as she studied a bright, gold panel a few inches away from her. Frowning, she reached out to press against the door and jumped as it began to slide up and disappear much like a vertical pocket door, displaying a small, mirrored wet bar with miniature liquor bottles and crystal stem glasses hanging upside down from the top of the cubicle.  "Wow," she murmured as everyone chuckled over her startled reaction. 

 

"That's neat!" Gus cried in delight.  "Can it make me a milk shake?" 

 

Brian laughed.  "I'm afraid not, Sonny Boy.  Those are all grown-up drinks."  His son pouted in disappointment before his father added, "But I'm sure there'll be plenty of desserts tonight."  He grinned.  "Then all we'll have to worry about is getting him to go to sleep after he becomes high on his sugar buzz."  

 

"Oh, Sean and Kathy are going to love that!" Justin responded with a grin.  Gus's great grandparents had asked Brian if they could keep Gus overnight after tonight's celebration; since they didn't plan on being there for the entire time, they had volunteered to take Gus back with them to the hotel fairly early.  As a result, he was carrying a small backpack with his pajamas and a change of clothes for tomorrow, along with his toothbrush.  Tomorrow the two men would be picking him up for the return home, along with Sean and Kathy.

 

Brian shrugged.  "Trust me; whether he's wired on sugar treats or not, he'll be so wound up either way with everything going on tonight that he won't get to sleep for a while anyway." 

 

Justin nodded as he gazed fondly down at Brian's little boy, who smiled back at him.  "Yeah, I think you're right."  He reached down to lightly ruffle Gus's hair, thinking how deeply he loved this precious little boy.  Gus had grown up with nothing but love in his life; as he glanced over at Alex, however, who seemed to be lost in a world of her own, he felt sorrow for her.  Sorrow that her parents had neglected and failed to take proper care of her, and sorrow that she had not been given the same opportunities that this much-cherished little boy had.  At least while she was with him and Brian, however, he could prove to her that there was good in this world.  "Alex?" he called over to her softly.

 

Lightly rubbing her pointer finger over the top rim of one of the glasses, she turned her head to peer over at Justin.  "Yeah?" 

 

"We're all glad you're here with us tonight." 

 

She stared over at him awkwardly, wondering why Justin had felt compelled to tell her that, but she saw no hint of deception on his face, only an openness and acceptance as he smiled softly back at her.  She finally nodded without saying anything, turning to gaze out the window at the twinkling lights that were growing more frequent and brighter as they entered the downtown Harrisburg area, her heart beating faster; only she didn't know if it was due to the impending festivities - or the surprising statement Justin had just uttered.

 


 

Ten Minutes Later - Outside the Convention Center

 

As the limo slowed near the entrance to the Convention Center, everyone's attention was immediately drawn to the large marquee sign that was located by the drive heading into the parking lot in the rear.  It was the first time that any of them had seen Fin's new title listed in public, and it made his victory that much sweeter - and the day even more exciting.

 

marquee

 

 

"Oh, my God!" Tony exclaimed as he grabbed hold of his partner's arm.  "Your name in lights, Fin - literally!" 

 

Fin couldn't help smiling as he watched his partner hurry to slide the window of the limo down, just enough to hurriedly aim his camera phone at the sign and snap a picture.  He shook his head in amusement.

 

"What?" Tony responded.  "Before we leave, I have to get a photo of you standing in front of that sign."  Fin rolled his eyes as his partner warned him, "Better get used to it...Mr. Governor.  You're going to be the center of attention tonight."

 

"The only attention I want is from you, Counselor," Fin murmured huskily as he slid his arm around Tony's shoulders and pulled him closer.  His adrenalin was pumping furiously at the moment the closer they got to the rear parking lot normally reserved for employees of the convention center. Fin's friend, Don Meyers, who was now in charge of his security, had received special permission to allow Fin and his party to park around back where the area was typically restricted; the limo driver had been given a special entry card that would permit him access to a cordoned-off area, away from the prying media and public scrutiny.  Tonight was going to be an exclusive celebration for family, friends, colleagues, and important contributors to his campaign; only the official photographer that Fin had selected would be there to record the event inside, both on video and in digital format. For tonight, at least, Fin could control who had access to him and the people he cared the most about. 

 

"Makes it all that more real...doesn't it?" Brian asked from the other side of the limo as if he were reading his father's mind.  Fin was staring out the window at the horde of people behind the barricade several yards away; all there just in hopes of obtaining a glimpse of him.

 

Fin nodded as it all began to sink in. The swearing-in had been part of it.  Dining at the governor's mansion had been another. And now this - the culmination of an extremely eventful and unprecedented day.  This was reality.  It was tremendously exciting, but also scary in a way. 

 

A few seconds later, the limo came to a complete stop near the rear entrance doors, and the occupants waited until the driver slid out from the driver's seat and walked over to open the back door before they began to move; the first to emerge from the vehicle was Alex, followed closely by Justin, Brian - holding onto Gus's hand - Tony, and then, finally, Fin, who was immediately washed in the glare of flashes going off several yards away as the multitude of reporters and cameramen there for the event, some from international locations, rushed to take a photo or video of him.  They could all hear the clicking whirl of shutters being snapped and a variety of voices reporting on Fin's arrival as he turned to wave at the reporters and smiled at some of his constituents before they continued toward the back entrance. 

 

"I feel like a movie star walking the red carpet!" Alex exclaimed as she turned to face the media, threw back what little hair she could, smiled, and acknowledged their audience with a royal type of wave as if she were Julia Roberts, instead of an 11-year-old kid with short, dirty-blond hair who could still pass for a boy. Her two foster parents exchanged an amused look, Brian wondering how many front pages Alex would inadvertently wind up on (along with the two of them - Gus was presently shielded from the glare by being on Brian's other side away from the cameras), before a uniformed security man greeted Fin formally with a "Good Evening, Mr. Governor," and opened the door to let them in.  Taking a deep breath, Fin nodded politely at him before walking inside.

Chapter End Notes:

 

Will get this updated again as soon as I can. Hope some of you are still enjoying this one. Thanks for the support.