Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

It was around 8:00 PM at night and approximately one week after the chair assassination.


 


Today had been a great day. I had been out and about all day, going and doing everything from errands to window shopping in Monroe. The weather had cleared up and no storms were on the horizon. All of Bon Temps and the surrounding area were enjoying the weather and it was reflected in their friendly attitudes.


 


My police uniform, which consisted of a wide brim hat, bulky clothes, and duty shoes, basically hid most of me from view. Therefore, I was still unrecognizable in my civilian clothes to people. This was a good thing; it afforded me the anonymity that I wanted so that I could enjoy a private life. I could roam and mix with the masses without being bombarded with people seeking my services.


 


This morning, I had dressed comfortably, but nicely – and there was no doubt that I was a woman. Most everyone who wears a uniform will tell you that they love to wear ‘real’ clothes – civilian clothes, because they don’t get to wear them very often. I was no exception. I had on fitted jeans, a white baby doll top trimmed in lace and with lace straps. My sandals were sturdy (of course), but very pretty with crystal beading. I always wore yellow gold and had on some of my favorite pieces today. I even wore make-up, even though it was still quite hot.


 


My hair was my proudest achievement. It had not frizzed into a Don King imitation.


 


I was feeling feminine, flirty, and very relaxed. I guess I looked pretty good, based on the reactions that I received from some of the male populace. I got a lot of smiles, a few flirty looks, and two hat dips with lots of eye contact. All of this was from attractive men, not leering, redneck farmers! Like I said, it had been a good day.


 


I was nearly home and decided at the last minute to pull into the Shop n’ Hop near me. The Shop n’ Hop is a convenience store that also sells gas.


 


I had parked my car and while walking towards the shop’s entrance, I noticed a good looking man – and I mean good looking - with dark, slightly curly hair, broad shoulders and about six feet tall, leaning against a Jeep Cherokee. He was talking on his cell.


 


Yow-zah! Hello, Gorgeous! I smiled at him and got a big smile back. I walked into the shop, and went in search of a carton of diet Coke. I entered the soda aisle and while I was bending over to pick up the carton, I saw through a space between the shelves that Mr. Gorgeous had entered the store, standing just inside the doors, scanning the place.


 


Was he looking for me? I stood up so that he could see the back of my head and but then accidentally knocked a bag on chips on the floor. As I bent to pick it up, I heard foot steps coming up behind me.


 


I slowly stood up and turned around with (what I hoped looked like) a sexy, little smile…and saw the Viking vampire. “Oh, it’s you.” It just slipped out. Oh, whatever.


 


I turned to make an escape but realized that I was blocked in; there was a wall at one end of the aisle and the vampire at the other. I started to feel my heart pump faster, the last time I saw this vampire was when he was ripping the arm off my metal chair.


 


His grin and demeanor told me that he was up to no good. “Who did you think I was? My, my, my Sheriff, I almost didn’t recognize you.”


 


Just then, Mr. Gorgeous rounded the corner, stopping short of knocking into the vampire. The vampire Viking turned around, gave Mr. Gorgeous a quick smile, and then turned back to me and blurted out, “But darling, I told you I wanted Mountain Dew.” He reached over to a shelf and pulled off a six pack of the drink.


 


Mr. Gorgeous looked at me, my mouth fell open, the vampire started grinning ear to ear – and Mr. Gorgeous spun around and was gone in a blink of an eye.


 


NO! “You asshole! Why the hell did you do that?” I crossed my arms over my chest and gave him a look that could freeze water. I kicked my fear to the side; I was now pissed.


 


“Ah, dearest, don’t be like that.” He was actually trying not to laugh. He seemed to be so amused.


 


Suddenly, a female equivalent of Mr. Gorgeous sashayed down our aisle and stepped in between the Viking and I; picking up a bag of chips. She stopped full in front of him, facing him with her back to me. From his expression, I’m sure she was displaying some admirable attributes. I called out to the Viking vampire, “Honey, did you forget the diapers? Put back that Mountain Dew, ‘cos you know it gives you gas!”


 


While still looking at the girl, the Viking turned his very impressive sexy smile into a little pout and shrugged his shoulders, and then looked up at me. The girl twisted her waist around to look at me, flashed me a sneer and huffed away.


 


We both looked at each other. I don’t think I’ve ever seen the Viking really smile – and he was smiling like the blood bank truck had just pulled up out front.


 


Despite myself, I started to chuckle. It had all been pretty funny. He flashed a stunning smile and started chuckling along with me.


 


Who knew he had a sense of humor?


 


 


“You are such an asshole.” He responded to my insult with a shit-eating grin.


 


“So, Sheriff Lautner, do you come here to find all your dates?”


 


“Well, I don’t have a bar.”


 


He nodded his head with a fake serious look, “Yes, the bar does come in handy…Why don’t we go for a cup of coffee?”


 


“Do you drink coffee?”


 


“On occasion, but mostly, I enjoy the smell of it.”


 


I was mildly astonished. “Really? I thought the smell of food and drink was offensive to vampires.”


 


He shook his head no, “That’s a general misconception. Some do find it offensive, but I do not.”


 


“Oh.’ I nodded my head in acknowledgement and then looked down at my feet for a second. “Mr. Northman, what do you want?”


 


“A truce.”


 


I stared at him, quirking my mouth to the side while considering what he had just said. He mirrored my facial expression. I scratched my nose; he mirrored my movement and scratched his nose. I smiled, he smiled back. I wasn’t sure if I liked him acting cute, though it was cute.


 


“Okay, deal.”


 


“Good, let’s seal it over coffee.”


 


“What if you get mad again? I can’t afford to keep replacing chairs. The last one cost me a pretty penny.” I put my hands in my pockets, hip jetted to the side, doing my best bad-ass, country girl pose. His eyes left mine and did a slow cruise down and then up my body. I felt his gaze leave a hot trail in its wake.


 


Despite my better judgment, I decided to mess with him. I wonder if vampires are susceptible to flirting? I think I’m going to find out.


 


“If you keep looking much longer, I’m going to have to charge you double.”


 


A look of astonishment flashed across his face and was immediately followed by devious look. His eyes were actually twinkling. “I don’t pay,” he said quietly.


 


“You gotta pay to play, big boy.” I suddenly stopped my sexy hooker act, and held up my hands in a surrender gesture. “Okay, enough.” I was starting to like this exchange a little too much, and that wasn’t good.


 


“Ohhhh, but you were winning!” He purred out his protest, and produced another cute pout that annoyed the shit out of me.


 


“If I could break a metal chair, then I would have a real chance at winning anything with you.” I frowned and re-crossed my arms over my chest.


 


“Ms. Lautner, your charms trump my strength anytime.”


 


My stomach did a flip and a thrill shot up my spine. Okay, he wins at flirting, too. Damn, he’s good…and sexy. Stop it, Jo!


 


“Coffee - I’m buying. And I will pay you for the chair.” He actually started to pull out his wallet. I doubt he had $150 on him. Well, maybe he did.


 


“No. No to both. I can pay for my own coffee and I’ll handle the cost of the chair. We’ll call it even – my big mouth, the chair…”


 


“There’s a diner nearby, they don’t have any chairs for me to break. Why don’t we go there?”


 


I knew the diner, it was called Trudy’s. I had dinner most nights there when I was on duty. “I know it. Okay, I’ll meet you there. I have to pay for this first,” holding up my sodas. He stared at me for a few seconds; I couldn’t make out his expression. It looked like he was processing something.


 


“Okay.”  He stepped to the side and waved his arm in a broad, dramatic gesture; he was being the gentleman and allowing me to exit the aisle first. I smiled and made a tiny bow and walked past him and headed to the cashier. I heard him following behind me and I felt nervous. I felt like he was REALLY looking at me, and that was unsettling. I’ve got my own bundle of insecurities and having him look at me like that made my bundle bunch up.


 


He came up to me, and gently clasped my right upper arm. I thought he didn’t like to be touched? Oh, but he’s touching me. But that’s still being touched…Oh, whatever! He was standing close enough to me that I could smell his cologne – which was very nice – and he whispered into my ear, “I’ll see you there.”


 


I turned my head and suddenly we were staring eye to eye, only a few inches apart. I nodded my head ‘yes,’ in agreement. He smiled – I just dumbly stared back at him. Boy, he’s got some beautiful blue eyes…I need more batteries.


 


As they wrung up my sodas and batteries – which they thankfully had at the counter, I watched him get into his red Corvette. NICE CAR… I need to get a better car.


 


What am I doing? It’s okay, it’s okay. There will be people around, I don’t think he’ll try anything. But, what does he really want?






 

Chapter End Notes:

Thanks for reading my story.  I hope you'll take a moment and tell me if you enjoyed the story.