Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

This chapter has not been beta-ed.  Sorry about any typos.

Chapter 28 – The Time Of Crossing 

I thought we were heading out to join the rowdy partiers around the holiday bonfire, but that was not the case.  As we left through the back of the mansion, I could hear the blaring music, the shouts and laughter of drugged and drunken party guests and I silently wished I was among them - for many reasons.

 

We traversed through the vast garden at the back of the mansion, ran through a huge boxwood maze, and then loaded into a fleet of golf carts which took us to our final destination.  All the while, Roman told me his version of the Time of Crossing.  I remained quiet and pretended to be dumb on the subject.  He didn’t tell me anything that I hadn’t already heard.  Unfortunately, he didn’t explain why I was being brought along with them.

 

The first stage of the lunar eclipse had begun; the Earth’s shadow could be seen approaching the Moon.  Night clouds had begun to increase and dim the brilliance of the stars.  The Moon appeared to be incandescent and it had a grayish hue.  Its glow was intense and bright and provided an above normal amount of light.  The night air was unusually warm for this time of year; so warm that my satin coat was adequate for outside wear. 

 

It took us ten minutes to reach our final destination.  The scene was pure chaos, or so it seemed.  Human-looking beings were emerging from the surrounding woods, disembarking from golf carts, or flying in from the sky.  I saw various types of animals – from wolves to crows – arrive and quickly morph into naked humans.  People wearing black, hooded robes herded us to an enormous, barren, sandy plateau which bordered on the banks of the Red River.  The plateau didn’t look natural; it looked man-made, especially since it was covered in sand and not dirt.

 

The whole area - cart parking, river side, and barren plateau - was lit with standing torches and small fires.  The only other source of light was the flashlights and lanterns carried by members of our group and others who were arriving.  No electricity or generated-powered lights were visible. 

 

The plateau was an eye-boggling sight, like something out of a horror movie.  In the middle was a huge circle, at least forty feet wide, and it was outlined by a line of smooth, black, basketball-sized, river rocks.   In the center of the circle was a wooden table; actually the word ‘altar’ was more accurate.   There was some sort of spiky design drawn in the sand, under the altar, and it jetted out from the altar.  I saw firewood and straw stuffed under and around two-thirds of the altar; apparently it was going to be burned. 

 

But what was most unnerving about the sight of the altar was the man that was kneeling in front of it, seemingly in prayer.  In contrast to the black robed figures, he was dressed in a blood red, hooded robe and wore a red, plastic face mask that covered his entire face.  He held up his arms to the sky at times and shouted out things in Latin.  At one point during his homage, I saw him cut the palm of his right hand and allowed the blood to drip onto the ground.  He then rose and went to the altar, and repeated the action, and dripped his blood on the altar.

 

Both A.J. and Roman grabbed my arms and hurried me over to a particular side of the circle, where a friendly looking older couple and teenager stood.  The trio was wearing street clothes – jeans, slacks, jackets, scarves, and hats - which meant they probably had not attended the party.

 

A.J. addressed the older man.  “Martin, this here is the lady I told you about.  Jo, there here is Martin and Dolcette LeCroix, and their granddaughter, Irene.”  We all quickly traded greetings.

 

 As A.J. quickly talked with the Martin, Roman pulled me into a tight hug and whispered in my ear, “You have to stay here with this family, in case… in case… we turn and can’t control ourselves.  Martin is a clairvoyant; Dolcette and the granddaughter are shape shifters… but they can only shift into small animals.”  I was shocked when the next thing he did was lay a kiss on me.  It was closed mouth kiss but it was prolonged.  I think it was our first mouth kiss – ever.  We normally only kissed each other’s cheeks.

 

Roman said quietly, “Be safe.”  He and A.J. ran to the opposite side of the circle, but before they left, I saw a peculiar, sour expression on A.J.’s face.  I read it to mean that he was not pleased that Roman had shown me affection.

 

Martin was a pleasant, thin, short, balding man.  He quieted my unspoken doubts when he said to me, “I know that you’re a human, but don’t you worry none.  As the weres said, I’m a seer and Dolcette and Irene are both shifters.  But, they can’t git no bigger than a small critter or insect.  You’re safe with us.”

 

Dolcette, blond and petit like her granddaughter Irene, clasped my hand and smiled warmly.  “It’s gonna be okay.  Don’t worry, sugar.  By the way, our Irene was just accepted into Tulane University!  She’ll be startin’ next fall.”  I quickly said my congratulations and then the four of us all fell into silence and observed all the activity around us.

 

I looked across the circle to where Roman, A.J. and the other men in their pack stood.  I was somewhat perplexed when I watched the group disrobe.  Then I remembered that they might shift into another form, beast or wolf, and they would destroy their clothing.  They all striped down to their underwear, and I have to admit, they had my admiration.  Nearly every one of them was in very good shape; A.J. even had a six pack stomach and great muscle tone.  Roman… well, he was a Greek statue - whose muscles had muscles…

 

I can’t believe me.  All Hell is literally about to break loose and I’m ogling men… I’m pathetic… I really need to get a hobby… um, another hobby, besides ogling men… well, if this is my last moments alive, at least I’ll be doing something that I love...

 

I looked around the circle; there were at least a hundred, if not more, people standing side by side, inside the circle of the black rocks.  From the looks of those around me, only about a third of the crowd was dressed in fine, evening wear – I surmised that they too had attended the party.  The rest of the crowd was a hodgepodge – everything from running suits to pajamas.  Oddly enough, I saw Garland, our Christmas party host standing beside Roman, but I didn’t see Garland’s wife.  Very odd – shouldn’t she be here, too?

 

To my right, standing eight people down, was Eric.  The queen was next to him, then Bill, Sookie, Pam, and the rest of the vampire entourage, all standing in that order listed.  It was quite a chore, trying to look at them while trying to be inconspicuous.  I had to lean back and crane my neck so that I could see Eric.  He looked like a stone statue, expressionless and unblinking, his gaze completely locked on the actions of the person in the red, hooded robe and face mask.  I wished that I had his perfect poker face.  I was so nervous that I was sweating profusely and my hands were actually trembling.

 

There were at least twenty black robed figures running around, for lack of a better word, I called them ‘helpers.’  They were performing what looked like well rehearsed duties.  Some were pouring a white powder around the altar area, completely encompassing it and the spiky design.  Martin told me that the powder was salt.  Some helpers were stuffing newspaper around the altar and sprinkling some fluid, maybe starter fluid, on the wood. 

 

Martin quietly said, “That’s real odd.  That’s salt they’re pouring… why ain’t we surrounded by salt?  Because salt is supposed to keep the demons out.   There ain’t no salt in this outer circle of ours, only stones.  Maybe the stones are blessed… I don’t know… but it’s real odd.”

 

Several helpers pulled a goat out of the woods and brought it straight to the altar. I watched with revulsion as the figure in red tied the animal’s feet together and then haul it up onto the altar.  He held his arms up to the sky, said something I couldn’t hear, and then slit the poor animal’s throat.  The poor thing cried out and fought until it lost consciousness.  I couldn’t help but feel remorseful that the creature had to suffer and lose its life to save us.   Helpers stood by with copper bowls; the red robed figure filled them with the goat’s blood.

 

Since no one said we couldn’t talk, I whispered, “Martin, who is the person in the red hooded robe, by the altar – that’s an altar, right?” 

 

Martin quickly nodded and whispered in return, “Yes, it is.  That person there in the red robes is a priest… of sorts.  He’s called a ‘black priest,’ not ‘cos his skin is black, but because he’s performing a ceremony to conjure dark power… um… dark magic.  The ceremony is sort of like um… a black Mass… but not a real one… a full one, I mean - we won’t be drinkin’ or eatin’.  But, we will all be anointed with the blood from the beast.”

 

“Dark magic and a black priest?”  I frantically looked back and forth between Martin and Dolcette.  “Are… is this black magic – this isn’t a satanic ritual, is it?  Please tell me that this isn’t a satanic cult thing.”  My rapidly rising fear was quite evident in my voice.

 

Dolcette shushed, “Shhh – honey, calm down.  I can’t explain now, but we – Martin, Irene, and I, ain’t in a cult.  We don’t practice that.  But,” She pointed to the helpers, “They’re a coven, you know what that is, right?”  I quickly nodded in response.

 

She continued on, “Good, well they practice the dark magic… um, like you said, magic that… well – black.  That don’t mean that they are a satanic cult… but, I’m not really sure if they is or isn’t.  You see, dark magic is all that we have to protect us against these things that are a-comin’.  The churches can’t help us… won’t help us… I mean, we are supernaturals!  That’s too much crazy for most folks.  Churches think we’re the devil’s own…”

 

Whoa… whoa - wait a minute… I’m totally getting this now.  A black priest dressed in red… dark, black magic… Coven… Cult?  Oh no, no, no!  My mind raced through my memories of every horror movie that I had ever seen, trying to remember any and all references to witchcraft.  I was desperate to find something reassuring, like a Disney-family-friendly scene where a satanic cult was a bunny-rabbit-fuzzy, fun thing.  But nothing came to mind.

 

I snorted out in sarcasm.  Oh course, why not!  Zombies, witches, vampires, werewolves… and now satanic cults… Roman – you motherfucker, piece of shit – I can’t BELIEVE that A.J. and you brought me to a fucking satanic, supernatural hoedown!  God, I hate you – I mean it – I’ve said before in jest, but now I really, REEEEALLY mean it!

 

 I feel like I’m trapped in some frigging reality show about supernaturals.  ‘Don’t forget to tune in, folks!  We’ll meet a shape shifter family and go to a satanic cult party!’  Damn… I bet there’s going to be a show like that on soon… Pam can be the vampire-version of ‘Snookie’, from the ‘Jersey Shore’.

 

I actually laughed out loud at the ridiculousness of everything.  Martin and Dolcette, plus a few other people around us, looked at me.  I bet they think that I’ve lost it.  Well, I don’t even know if I had it to lose, people. 

 

 I spoke up to dissuade their uneasiness.  “Not cracking up, just letting off some steam.”  But, I could tell by the expressions on their faces that I wasn’t successful; they still looked leery and worried.   

 

Groups of helpers hurriedly went around the circle taking samples of nail clippings, locks of hair, or drops of blood from everyone.  We were forced to provide one of three – if we didn’t, then we wouldn’t receive the blessing and protection of the black priest.  So, they got a chunk of my hair and for good measure, I gave them a chewed-off fingernail tip.  Following behind the helpers taking DNA tracers – essentially, that was what they were doing – was another group carrying the copper bowls of blood.  They put smears of blood on our foreheads.   The smears looked like small crosses – upside down crosses.

 

When I saw the crosses on my new friends’ foreheads, and knowing that I had the same, I felt like taking off at a full speed run and not stopping until I reached home.  The satanic, witchcraft ceremony thing was just too creepy for me to stomach.  I admitted to myself that I was completely ignorant of such things.  But I could not ignore the overwhelming, foreboding feeling of disaster.

 

The black priest had been sprinkling oils and placing bundles of herbs onto the dead goat’s corpse, while chanting the entire time.  He unexpectedly turned away from the altar and called out to everyone in the circle.  His voice was distorted, it sounded robotic; he was using a voice altering device.  I optimistically tried to think that his use of the device was a good thing.  I rationalized that he was using it so that we wouldn’t recognize him on the street later on – it meant that we all would survive the ordeal. Good… good, it’s a good sign… right?

 

 “When the Earth has completely blocked the Sun, the Moon will appear black.  This is when the portal will open.  It will turn dark all around you.  The torches may go out.  DO NOT PANIC.  And do not leave the circle, or you will become prey.  I will start a protection incantation and you will feel and see an energy force around you, do not fear it.  Stand together as you are, you may hold hands, but do not break the ring that you have now formed.  No matter what you hear or what appears around you – ignore it.  I will repeat this only once more – DO NOT LEAVE THE CIRCLE!”

 

Across the circle, I could see that Roman and A.J. were staring at the priest, absolutely riveted to his every move.  Down from me, Eric and his group were all in the same state.

 

The black priest returned to the altar, raised his arms up to the sky, and began to chant again in Latin.  I looked up at the sky – and what I saw turned my stomach into a knot - the umbra of the eclipse had begun; the shadow of the Earth had begun to cross over the surface of the Moon, and it was a fourth of the way across.  Liam had said the same thing as the priest: the Time of Crossing would happen when the Moon was totally eclipsed by the Earth, and that the Moon would be completely black.   Please let this be over soon.    

 

Smoke from the torches and the many small fires drifted in and around the circle, burning our eyes, and at times, blocking my view of Roman and A.J.  I could still see Eric without a lot of difficulty, but that was because he was so tall. 

 

Eric... memories of our time ran through my mind.  His kisses… so passionate… hungry and aggressive… sometimes so tender… I loved when he got that look in his eye… and the feel of his big hands holding me… pulling me to him… that look of utter bliss right… right after he…  

 

A ball of fire exploded from out of the altar fire pile and almost everyone jumped, shouted or screamed out in fear.  The priest had set fire to the altar, and all the kindling, straw, and starter fluid ignited into an impressive combustion.  As the altar became engulfed in the flames, the priest knelt and continued to chant.  All the helpers entered the salt circle that surrounded the priest and the burning altar.  They joined the priest on the ground.  As they knelt, they chanted along with the priest.

 

The flames from the fire blocked my view of Roman and A.J.  I became very uncomfortable.  I was treating the sight of Roman as a life line, and now it was gone.

 

A cold chill ran down my spine when the altar’s fire illuminated something that I hadn’t noticed before.  The spiky design that was carved into the sand, under the altar - was a pentagon.  The altar stood in the middle of the pentagon, and the pentagon extended out, almost touching the edge of the salt circle.   

 

Pentagons are used in witchcraft… I can’t fucking believe this - I’m participating in some satanic, witchcrafty… culty… dark, black ceremony thing – whatever it’s fucking called… Man, just an hour ago I was having such a good time…

 

Martin grabbed my arm to get my attention.  He didn’t look at me and seemed to be talking to someone that didn’t seem to exist. “Rufus… alright, yes… Rufus says something is wrong.  Rufus - show me an image… What?  No, no, you cannot leave me!  Don’t leave us, pleeeassssee!”

 

An alarmed Dolcette asked Martin, “Are you having a vision?  What is it?  What is Rufus telling you?”

 

I naively asked, “Who’s Rufus?”

 

Dolcette quickly responded, “He’s Martin’s spirit guide, from the Other World.  Ssshhh, please.  Martin, Martin, what are you seeing?”

 

Martin looked like he was in a trance.  He didn’t respond to her, but he continued to hold onto my arm.  Suddenly, he snapped out of it and was extremely emotional.  “He says he has to go, he is being forced to go… No!  No! AAAgggghhhh… no, no please… Oh no… He’s gone… Rufus is gone… Ruuuufuuuus…”  He doubled over and looked like he was in pain.  He began to cry.  The man looked so fragile and childlike.   “Rufus is not with me… I’ve lost him… he was forced away, but I don’t know how… why… I don’t know what to do… he’s… he’s been with me all of my life.” 

 

Martin released my arm and sank to his knees.  Dolcette knelt down beside him and tried to console him.  Irene left Dolcette’s side and crossed over to stand beside me.  I smiled at Irene, trying to reassure her, but I could tell she didn’t buy my crappy attempt.  As Martin continued to quietly cry, Dolcette held him in her arms and slowly rocked him. 

 

I felt like yelling at the top of my lungs that this was fucked up and that we didn’t have time for Rufus to leave or for Martin to have a meltdown.  But, I didn’t do that.  What I did do was put my arm around Irene’s shoulders and I drew her close to me.

 

I took a quick moment to check on the amulet.  I slightly turned away from Irene and checked its position.  It was still in place, soundly taped to my boob.  Thank god for that. It’s probably not the best of locations, but I can’t think of anything better right now.

 

I noticed that the temperature was rapidly dropping and I was becoming very cold.  So cold, that when I exhaled, my breath became a vapor cloud.    The torches were dimming.  The changing conditions caused a stir in the crowd.  A murmur of alarm was building and a few people loudly vocalized their concern.  I looked up at the Moon and saw that the shadow of the Earth was now half way across it. 

 

The whole crowd reacted again in unison, when a second eruption came from the altar fire.  But, instead of a fire ball, a large green flame shot up ten feet into the air, and at the very same time - a fluorescent green band of light appeared and passed through us all standing in the outer, big circle.  Its illumination was vivid as the darkness increased around us.  It looked like a gigantic glow stick was encircling us. 

 

This must be the ‘energy force’ that the black priest had mentioned.  Oh lord, I hope it is.

 

I watched the black priest combine all the hair and nail clippings into one large, wide-mouth, black chalice.  I couldn’t hear what he was saying, but he and the helpers were chanting again.  Then, the priest held up the chalice to the sky and above the drone of the chanting helpers, I clearly heard him shout out in English, “I give you these offerings, oh great one…”  I couldn’t hear what else he said next, but I saw him throw the chalice into the altar fire. 

 

Suddenly, the green flame that was shooting up from the altar fire and the green, fluorescent band that encircled us – disappeared.  After a moment’s pause, the crowd freaked out.  People were shouting pleas and threats at the priest and I was greatly alarmed when I saw several people leave the circle and take off running into the woods.  One ill advised man tried to run over to the priest, but several helpers grabbed him and forcibly placed him back into the circle.

 

I helped Dolcette pull Martin to his feet.  He had recovered from his breakdown sufficiently to say, “This is not right.”  He looked directly at me and said, “Don’t leave us.  Rufus said before he was pulled away from me… that you must not abandon us… we will all die if you leave the circle… Please… Please! Don’t go.”

 

Well, I wasn’t going anywhere and was extremely curious why Rufus, his spirit guide, had thought that I would leave.

 

The next thing I knew – the green lights came back – another flame shot out of the altar fire pile, straight up into the air and the green, glowing band reappeared in our outer circle.

 

You could hear the crowd let out a collective sigh of relief loud enough to surpass the noise of the chanting and other distractions.  Several people shouted out in glee and others yelled their thanks to whatever deity they worshipped.

 

However, our joyous relief and renewed confidence was short lived.  I heard someone – a man – shout out angry curses and yell out in utter frustration. I visibly searched for the irate man, but I couldn’t see very well through the smoke.  All around us, torches and fires were burning very low or were extinguishing.  It created a dense, smoky, haze which was difficult to see and breathe in.  I could barely see more than six feet in front of me.     

 

I quickly equated the shouting voice with the black priest, since both had that mechanical, robotic sound. Within seconds of recognizing his voice, I saw flashes of the black priest’s red robe as he ran around the inside of the circle.  He stopped momentarily in front of a few people but whatever it was he was looking for, he didn’t find with them.  He passed by the vampire entourage and was passing by my little group, when he suddenly stopped in front of us.  He dashed over to me and stood right in front of me.  I could see that he had emerald colored eyes.  Emerald eyes… I know those eyes from somewhere.

 

The black priest grabbed my forearm and tried to pull me out of the ring, but I resisted and pulled free of him.  I responded with, “What the hell?  What do you want?”

 

I could see the priest glaring at me from behind his mask.  He said, “You must step out of the ring!”

 

He grabbed for me again, but I evaded him and batted his hands away from me. “Knock it off!  I’m not leaving.  HEY!  Look, you need to get back over there… it’s getting really dark!”

 

He ignored me and said, “Get out of the ring, now!”  He tried grabbing my shoulder, but I jerked it away and gave him a gentle shove, which sent him stumbling backwards, but he didn’t fall.

 

“Hey, hey – now knock it off!  I’m not telling you again!  I’m not going anywhere.  What the fuck are-”

 

The black priest carefully approached me and stopped when he was no more than a foot away.  I held my ground, poised and ready for more attacks.  He reached up under his mask and I heard a click sound.  Then, I heard a normal, familiar, but hushed man’s voice say, “Jo, lass - it’s me – Liam.”  I didn’t stop him as he leaned towards me, until he was only inches away from my face.  He whispered, “Jo, you have to listen to me. You have to get out of the ring, now!”

 

Oh my god - Liam…  I didn’t know if I should feel happy or apprehensive. 

 

Somewhere in the back of my brain, a little accusatory voice said, “You should have known.”  But nope – I hadn’t seen this coming.  I hardly see anything coming in this Fucking Fun Land of Supernaturals.  It’s all a major learning curve for me. I was taught how to load and fire a gun, clean barracks, and operate strategic maneuvers.  They never taught me about this shit.

 

My response was simple and to the point, “Why?”

 

“Your amulet is stopping me from dropping the protection ring.  My power cannot work against itself – you must leave the ring!  NOW!”

 

In full voice I responded, “Why would you do that?  These people-”

 

Liam snidely interrupted me, “These aren’t people, Jo.  These are animals… and barbaric, evil creatures that want to enslave us all and use us!  I can kill them all - now!  Step out of the ring; I swear I will protect you.”

 

Dolcette gasped at what Liam had said and I heard Martin feebly beg, “Don’t, please!  I beg you; we’re not like that…”

 

What the fuck is going on!  I can’t leave.  I can’t let you hurt Eric… or Roman… or these people.  I shook my head and before I could say anything, Liam grabbed me by my forearms and tried pulling me out of the line yet again.   We grappled with each other for a few moments before Liam switched tactics and grabbed my neck with one hand and with his other hand; he snatched at my chest, thinking that I was wearing the amulet as a necklace. 

 

“Where is it?  Where is the amulet, Jo?  Give me that bloody thing or I swear-” Liam then thoroughly surprised me by grabbing my throat with both his hands.  He began to squeeze, shutting off my oxygen supply.

 

My next movements had become ingrained in me after years of stringent training.  I clasped my hands together and shoved them up between his arms and used the force of the momentum to break his hold on me.  The second his hands loosened on my throat, I brought the palm of my right hand up and hit him under his nose – instantly breaking it.  The familiar sound of ‘snap and squish’ confirmed it.  As he staggered back, I hooked my right foot behind his left leg and tripped him.  The finishing touch was a hard shove as he was falling; it sent him flying away from me. 

 

Blood gushed out of his nose, and though I felt bad about it, I didn’t drop my guard.  “Dammit Liam, I’m sorry, but… goddammit!  Get up… GET THE FUCK UP, it is getting dark – get back over there, before…”  But, then Liam did something next that really disappointed me.  He reached inside his robe and pulled out a silver dagger.  

 

Aw fuck!

 

I saw an awful scowl on his face – it was hatred mixed with pain.  Blood flowed out of his nose, around and into his mouth, and down his chin.  He swiped the back of his hand against his mouth and when he saw the blood, he became enraged.

 

Wordlessly, he charged at me, I assumed a defensive stance and readied myself for the impact.  As he took his second running step in my direction - a black blur ran into him, knocking him to the ground.  The blur turned out to be Eric.  The momentum of his attack on Liam sent them both tumbling across the ground for several yards.  After they stopped rolling, they broke apart – actually, they fell away from each other; and neither one moved – at all.    

 

For a split second, as I looked at the two motionless men, I knew my heart had skipped a beat.  I dashed over to them, praying all the way.    

 

My mind screamed ‘Eric’ as I approached him.  He was lying on his stomach, completely motionless.  I ignored all the shouts and pleas from the LeCroix family and from a few others that had heard what had transpired.  I gently rolled Eric onto his back.  What I saw next horrified me.  There, sticking out of his chest, right in the vicinity of his heart - was the silver dagger.  Without thinking, I pulled it out and started to apply pressure to the wound, hoping to stop the bleeding. 

 

Liam was only a foot or so away from him, so I reached over to his neck and felt for a pulse in his neck.  When I found one, I was relieved – at least he was still alive.  But damn, he’s knocked out cold. 

 

I quickly glanced at the sky and panicked when I saw that the shadow of the Earth was now three-quarters of the way across the Moon.  The Time of Crossing was just minutes away.

 

Eric was bleeding profusely and his pale skin had turned an alarming grey color.  I frantically looked around, trying to find something or someone to help me – then, through the darkening, smoky, haze I saw a glint of blond hair.  PAM!

 

She could help; she’ll come and help Eric!  At the top of my lungs, I yelled, “PAM!  PAAAAAMMMM!  IT’S ERIC!  HE’S HURT!  HELP ME!  DAMMIT - PLEASE COME, NOW!”  As I was inhaling my next breath to shout again, Pam appeared beside me.

 

She looked down on Eric and for a moment I thought she was going to burst into tears.  Instead, she grabbed my throat with one hand and growled out, “What did you do to him?  I will FUCKING KILL YOU!”

 

I gasped out, “Pam, STOP!  He’s… dying… ” She lessened her grip so that I could speak, “Silver dagger in his… heart… I pulled it out - help him.”  She flung me away from her and I landed on my back, in a very unflattering sprawl.

 

Despite my despair, I was fascinated with how she treated Eric.  I watched her cradle him in her arms, desperately calling his name.  I wasn’t sure if she was caressing him as if he was her lover, friend, or child.  She gently picked him up and blurred away into the smoke, back in the direction that she came.

 

I looked up at the Moon, and saw that it was almost completely black, just a slight, light crescent could be seen.  Fuck – any moment now!  I got up and grabbed Liam’s arm and began pulling him over into the circle.  The next thing I know, I was flat on my stomach.  Someone had come up behind me and shoved me to the ground.  Luckily I wasn’t harmed, just momentarily rattled.  Through the rapidly darkening haze, I could just barely make out the sight of several of the helpers running in retreat, carrying the unconscious Liam with them. 

 

I struggled to my feet and staggered back to the location of the LeCroix family.  The very second that my foot landed into the green, lighted band - everything went completely black – and for a second, I seriously thought I had gone blind. 

 

The Moon was completely blocked from the Sun and it was the Time of Crossing.  The  ink-black darkness so completely unnerving.  I was gripped by a fear that I had never known.  I felt only infinitesimally relieved when I discovered that if I strained my eyes at a capillary popping pressure, I could see a dim glow from the protective band. 

 

Then the smell came.  It was a putrid smell of dead things.  The foul smell reminded me of decaying bodies and rotting food.  I heard the sound of someone vomiting and I was very close to joining them.  I stopped breathing through my nose and breathed only through my mouth.  But, the smell became so intense that I could almost taste it.

 

All around me, I heard people panicking.  If I concentrated on the green band, I could see people’s bodies moving around in it, passing through it.  People were leaving it and running into the woods.  I then heard them scream – blood, curdling screams.  I heard their voices zoom away from the circle; some sounded like they were pulled up into the sky.  From the crashing, crunching sound of tree limbs, bush branches, and leaves, I knew that others had been dragged into the woods. 

 

The air rapidly became unbearably cold, so much so that my little group and I were literally shaking.  We huddled together, trying to conserve our body heat.  Then I heard something – a raspy whisper behind me – right behind me, from outside the circle.  It called my full, first name – “Josephina.”

 

The wind started to blow and it became stronger by the minute.  It whipped up sand and debris and hurled it at us.  It blew our little group apart and we all struggled to stay within the circle and near each other.    

 

Then, I was touched.  I felt finger tips trickle down my back.  I screamed bloody murder and moved away from it. A hand closed around my calf and I kicked my leg until I didn’t feel it any more.  Something shoved me from the back, but I maintained my balance. 

 

I barely heard her through the wind, but Irene was fighting some entity.  She was hysterical and screaming.  Through the forceful wind, I heard snippets of her screaming, “Make it stop, make it stop!  Something is touching me – make it stop – oh please.  Grammy!  Pappy, help me! Stop it!”  There was nothing that they could do.  Unfortunately, Martin and Dolcette were also being attacked and could not help her.

 

I tried to grab her and pull her to me, but she probably didn’t know it was me.  My yells to her were lost in the howling wind.  She was so submerged in her fear that each time I got a hold of her, she fought me off.

 

Her struggle with the ‘someone’ or ‘something’ was becoming violent.  She was thrashing away, pushing, shoving and her screams were so high pitched that I could hear her through the roaring wind.  I continued to try to help her, but it felt so futile.  Whatever she was fighting against, was incredible. 

 

Suddenly, I heard a roll of unnatural thunder in the air and the next thing I knew, something struck the ground with such force that it sent everyone flying up into the air.  It was like a bomb had gone off.  Both men and women shouted and scream out in sheer terror, myself included. 

 

After the thing hit the ground, I realized that some people were in new and extremely dangerous predicaments.  From the scattered, faint sounds of voices that filtered through the wind, I could tell that people had been knocked completely out of the circle.  Their shouts reminded me of the horrifying battle fronts in Iraq - people were yelling in fear and pain, fighting for their very lives – and Irene was one of them.

 

 I desperately searched the dark with my hands, trying to find her while calling to her.  I could faintly hear Dolcette and Martin yelling her name and telling me not to leave the circle.

 

Irene continued to scream, kick, and fight with all her might against whatever was attacking her.  I followed the direction of her voice and the thrashing sound of her body until I found her.  Just when I knew I had caught her leg and had started to pull her towards me, something chomped down on my arm – something fucking bit me!  Luckily for me, it didn’t start chewing, but released me after inflecting the extremely painful bite.  I wasn’t sure if the thing’s teeth had broken my skin, but it hurt like a motherfucker!  

 

Then, I heard the unmistakable sound of Irene being pulled away from the circle.  Her screams lessen in volume as she was dragged far way, into the woods.  At least I didn’t hear her voice go up in the air.  Knowing that she was – maybe – still on land gave me a spurt of hope.  When the Time of Crossing is over, I might be able to find her.

 

But, then I began having a moral battle with myself – should I wait or go after her now, even though it was pitch black and I couldn’t see a damn thing.  Before I could make a decision, a hand grabbed my arm.  I heard Martin’s voice say, “Be still.”

 

‘Be still.’  Just like my dream… when Avis and I were standing on the cliff above the ocean… was it just a coincidence or a message?  Was Avis communicating to me through Martin? 

 

I heard it again, “Be still.” 

 

So, that’s what I did.  I just stood there in the protective, green light band, listening to screams and shouts of others being attack or traumatized.   I listened to Dolcette crying - her family had been devastated, literally ripped apart within a matter of minutes.  I felt so helpless and absolutely ridiculous, but something inside me told me that I had to stay there for the safety of all the others.  As soon as this bloody Crossing crap is over, I will find you, Irene – I swear it.  Just hold on.  Don’t give up – never give up.

 

The darkness and wind continued for what seemed like hours, but it in actuality, was probably only five minutes.  Finally, the darkness seemed to slightly lighten and I felt a shift in the wind’s strength.  I looked up at the sky and saw that the edge of the Moon had reappeared.  As the Moon was uncovered, the darkness faded away and the wind died down.

 

My eyes had to adjust to the bright moonlight – though it probably wasn’t that bright, but seemed so after being in complete darkness.  Slowly, I could make out the shapes of people and could see the remnants of the altar fire.  There was a mess everywhere – broken branches, torn up bushes, people’s clothing, broken torches - it looked like a tornado had passed through.

 

 As people’s appearances became sharper, I saw there were spaces around the circle.  I was taken aback when I realized that at least one fourth of the circle was gone; even some of the helpers in the inner salt circle were missing.  I didn’t see Liam anywhere.

 

I glanced in Eric’s direction and from what I could make out, I believe I saw him standing.  I couldn’t see Roman; it was still too dark.  But from the amount of people standing in his area, his group seemed to be intact.

 

I saw people tentatively step out of the circle.  I was beyond relieved to see that they weren’t knocked down and dragged away by some unseen force.  Since they weren’t being pulled into the sky or into the woods, I deemed it safe enough for me to leave and find Irene. 

 

I told Dolcette, “I’m going to try and find Irene, stay here with Martin.” 

 

Dolcette shoved something in my hands.  It was a small flashlight – it could only cast a six foot tunnel of light, but it was better than nothing. 

 

I tore into the woods.  All around me, I saw shadows of other people in search of their missing.  As they called out names, I called out Irene’s name.  Though I didn’t get a response, I kept on going further into the woods.  The Moon was now half uncovered and it helped visibility incredibly, but I still had to move slower than I wanted.  The ground was full of holes and obstacles.

 

After falling and tripping numerous times, I skidded down a small hill and saw a fallen, rotted tree trunk at the bottom of it.  Behind it, leaning against the trunk, sitting in a fetal position with her face hidden in her bent knees – was Irene.  She was completely still.

 

I called her name as I ran over to her.  But, when I reached her, a warning chill ran up my spine.  Something is very wrong.   I flashed the light on her and gently called her name.  She slowly turned towards me… on her face was a maniacal, frightening smile.  Her eyes were silver in color, blood shot and bulging.  She looked wild - practically inhuman, like the young girl, Regan, in the ‘Exorcist.’

 

Without any notice, she leapt at me like a cat and knocked me to the ground.  She began screaming and  beating me with her fists.  She was incredibly strong and my attempts to calm her were futile.  I decided to try another tactic.  I grabbed her blouse to hold her in place and I head-butted her - I slammed the front of my skull into her eyebrow ridge.  It hurt like hell, but it did the trick.  She was momentarily disoriented, which gave me the advantage.

 

I flipped her off of me and then shoved her with my feet.  I sent her rolling away from me, which gave me enough time to get to my feet.  I ran over to her and quickly flipped her onto her stomach, putting her in the most vulnerable of positions.  I jumped on her back and held her down with my might and weight.

 

She began to scream, buck and rock from side to side - trying everything she could to get me off of her back.  She was incredibly strong – too strong for someone her size.  I had realized earlier that I wasn’t fighting little Irene; I was fighting something much stronger that was inside of her.  An idea sparked in my head – I reached into my top and pulled out the amulet and held it against the back of her neck. 

 

Her reaction was immediate - she let out a screech that sounded like a banshee on fire.  She cursed me, threatened me, and called me every foul name that one could imagine.  But… it wasn’t her voice; it was an ever-changing voice – from woman to man and back, sometimes accented, and sometimes harsh and raspy.  I’m not ashamed to say that she scared the hell out of me.  My family was never overly religious people, but at that moment, all I could think of doing was praying - sincerely - to the god of my childhood.  The last time I had prayed – for real – was when my father committed suicide.   I don’t know if it helped Irene, but I don’t think it hurt her. 

 

After an inordinate amount of time of holding her in place with every ounce of strength that I possessed, she stopped fighting and yelling, and became motionless.  She was so still that I was afraid that she might have died.  I felt for a pulse and was glad beyond belief when I felt the artery throb in her neck. 

 

I heard Dolcette and Martin close by, calling for Irene.  I yelled out to them, while gingerly getting off of Irene.  I rolled her over and prepared to be attacked again, but she didn’t move.  She slowly opened her eyes, blinked several times and then weakly smiled at me.

 

Dolcette and Martin found us and immediately grabbed her, examined her, and asked her a flurry of questions.  Since she didn’t or couldn’t answer, I filled them in on what I saw when I found her and about being attacked by her. 

 

Martin asked me, “How did you rid her of the demon?”

 

I sputtered, “A demon… yeah, I thought so… but I wasn’t sure.”

 

I closely watched Irene, looking for signs of the homicidal demon, while trying to remove nature’s bounty from my clothes.  After running and wrestling in the woods, my clothes were torn and filthy, filled with grass, leaves, and twigs. 

 

“I have an amulet… I was told that it would help me ward off possession and… um… vampire glamouring…”

 

“May I see it; just hold out your hand, I won’t touch it.”

 

I held out the amulet in the palm of my hand.  Martin shined his flashlight on the amulet and then pulled away.  “I can feel the power… it has an aura… Rufus can see it… he says a witch gave that to you… a powerful, powerful one… it won’t work for anyone, just you.”

 

I quickly looked at Dolcette and then back to Martin, “Rufus is back?”

 

They both nodded.  Martin slowly pulled Irene into a sitting position and all three of us got her on her feet.  Martin said, “We’re leaving now.  Rufus says the demon in her is gone and her soul has now re-sealed itself.  We must go.  I thank you for all of your help… Remember us... we will remember you.  Thank you.”  All three of them walked off into the woods, with Martin and Dolcette assisting Irene.  They headed in a direction away from the plateau.    

 

I made my way back to the circle.  At one point on my way back, I thought someone was coming up behind me… I swear it felt like there was someone right behind me.  I came to a quick stop, swung around, and flashed my light – but saw no one.  This happened once more – the feeling, me stopping and checking - but nothing.

 

I was so relieved to reach the plateau.  It was nearly vacant, except for the Red Moon wolf pack.  Eric and the vampires and all the other beings were gone.  I saw Roman and called out to him, and ran at full speed to get to him.

 

I grabbed him in a bear hug and started to gush about how happy I was to see him.  He was definitely in a different mood.  He was quite irate as he tore my arms off of him and pushed me away from him.  To say I was stunned was an understatement.  He had never, ever been that rough with me, not even in play fighting.

 

“Where the HELL have you been?  We’ve been searching everywhere for you!”

 

I started to tell him what had happened, but he cut me off and none too gently.  “What – they were more important than us?  A.J. is hurt!  He’s… his head… he’s passed out and Willie is dead.  Didn’t you fucking think that maybe we needed some help?  Fuck it, Jo!  We’re leaving now, move your ass or we are leaving you!”  He stormed off and for a moment, I couldn’t move, I was so shocked by his reaction.  It was one of the few times in my life when I was completely speechless.  I ran to catch up to him and then meekly followed him back to the golf carts.

 

Literally, all Hell had broken loose that night.  I thought that we had won the battle, but what I didn’t realize was – it was only one battle – one of many… in a war that had just begun.

 

 

It was December 22nd, two days after the Time of Crossing, and I was again in the midst of chaos.  But this time, I was drowning in frustration instead of fear.

 

In front of me, laying on my living room floor, were bolts, screws, nuts, a bike frame, a chain and other crap that should all go together neatly and precisely to form a child’s bicycle.  But it wasn’t.  Instead, a billion pieces (or so it seemed) lay around my living room floor and mocked me.  Worse yet, there were four more boxes of bikes-to-be standing in my kitchen, waiting to be assembled.

 

I had bought five children’s bicycles as a donation to Kenya’s church.  Her church’s members weren’t wealthy people and many of the parents couldn’t afford Christmas gifts for the kids.  So, Kenya and the church welcomed donated toys for the kids.  This year, they wanted to give bikes to the older kids, so I donated the funds for five bikes.  It was all going well until the boxes showed up at the station.  I didn’t know that they had to be assembled.  Any bike I ever got as a kid or gave to my brother was already put together by people… other than me.

 

So, there I sat, trying to read the only instructions that came with the bike: a one-page diagram full of captions and arrows all pointing to an assembled bike.  There were written instructions in six languages, and the English instructions said that I needed a screw driver, a socket wrench, and rubber mallet – and that was it… that’s all it said.

 

I had taken a break from screaming, cursing, and nearly crying – also known as trying to understand the diagram.  I tried to comfort myself by rationalizing that I wasn’t suffering alone.  Since there were six languages listed on the instructions, I knew that others in the world were experiencing my same melt down.  Somewhere in Japan, Spain, Sweden, and two languages which I didn’t recognize, other beings were all agonizing with me over that same damn diagram. 

 

I sat on the couch, in my usual stunning evening wear of sweat pants, socks, and an old, comfy t-shirt, and sipped a soda – no wine; it was hard enough to read the diagram sober.  I was half-watching ‘Fatal Attraction,’ while waiting for ‘A Christmas Story’ to start on another channel. 

 

Somehow, a psychotic Glen Close boiling a rabbit and wielding a knife isn’t that scary after my short, but eventful time here in lovely Bon Temps… what an amateur…

 

I had spoken to Roman earlier and he said A.J. was not doing well, but he wouldn’t go into details.  I tried to see A.J. but Roman told me to stay away.  I held my surprise in check when he told me that he had A.J. moved from the hospital to his home.  It didn’t sound like something one would do if a patient was in dire straits.   

 

Roman’s attitude towards me had barely changed.  He seemed to hate having to deal with me, and he let me know it indirectly or directly.  I really didn’t know him anymore.  I was upset by it and wish I knew what I could do to change it.

 

The last time I had saw A.J. was after the Time of Crossing, when we took him to the emergency room.  To see that tall, robust, volcano of energy and bravado quieted and pale was just so unnerving.  Sure, A.J. was a male chauvinistic asshole at times, but I liked him.  Just like-like, nothing more, he was just too much of everything for me.  I liked his sense of humor and Southern gentlemanly manners – overall, he had been good to me.    

 

I mulled over what A.J. had said to the vampire queen at the Christmas party; that more infected were showing up in new places, where they had never been seen.  But, I wasn’t getting any calls for police assistance and Roman hadn’t passed on any news about new attacks.  I bristled when I released that I was being kept out of the ‘in-the-know’ loop.

 

I flipped a pillow around on the couch, releasing some of my pent up frustration.  I briefly allowed myself the luxury of thinking about Eric.  I admit it, I’m pissed that I haven’t heard from Pam.  Just texting would have been fine.  I left one message at the bar just to see if Eric was okay.  Of course, she didn’t call back.  

 

Just as well, I really didn’t care… Seriously, he was a mistake – MAJOR mistake.  He’s a using piece of shit… that prostitutes himself… he’ll do anything and say anything… that’s just pathetic… what the hell was I thinking?

 

I miss my brother… I miss my parents… I miss Avis… I miss Er-…

 

Nope – I do not miss Eric.  I’m just… frustrated – those damn bikes… That vampire is a fucking jerk.  He used me!  Played me!  Humiliated me!  Why didn’t I know… why didn’t I resist him… I wondered if he glamoured me?  I know he must have, at least once – that time in his office… I was too lonely and stupid… it was a bad choice and I knew it.  What’s the saying, ‘Never get too tired, thirsty, hungry, or lonely.’  Yeah, that’s it.  It’s the ‘lonely’ part that’s the real kicker…  I need to find a new place to live and fast.

 

I had decided that it was in my best interest to move out of Eric’s rental and find some true sanctuary.  Unfortunately, though I had scoured the newspaper and real estate websites, I couldn’t find anything that I could move into immediately.  I even thought about a hotel, but since I would be forfeiting my deposit, I didn’t want to waste more money needlessly.  I’ll find something.

 

My home phone rang.  It was a number I didn’t recognize. 

 

“Hello?”

 

All I heard was loud static and metal screeching sounds.  I cursed and hung up the phone. 

 

Damn – what the hell was that?  It almost popped my ear drum.

 

My house phone rang again, but I ignored it.  Another number I didn’t recognize.  I didn’t answer it and whoever it was, didn’t leave a message.

 

Then my cell phone rang.  Fuck!  Another number I don’t know – what the hell…

 

“Hello?”

 

“I was passing by your house and I noticed the smell of gas.  I should come in and investigate.”

 

“Who the fuck is this?”  Then recognition dawned on me… “Eric?”  I numbly replied, “There’s no gas leak.  I have electric.”

 

“Oh, really?  Hmm… I guess I forgot… You left a message… enquiring after my well-being.  That was very touching.  So, I’m calling. I don’t want to just walk in.  I-”

 

“I’m busy.  I have to go.  Don’t call me anymore.  I just wanted to see if you were okay, and it seems you are, so… Oh, by the way, I’m giving you my thirty day notice.  I am moving out of the house.  I’ve also sent a letter notifying the real estate office, as per my renter’s agreement.” 

 

I hung up the phone and I felt a surge of pride for myself.  I hung up on the bastard!  And… and I had heard from him… and my stomach is doing somersaults.  Wait, he said something about stopping by.  I looked over at the door and was so relieved to not see him standing with his face pressed up against the glass. 

 

My cell phone rang again. 

 

It was the same number as it was before, which meant it was Eric.  I answered the phone with an exasperated, “Yes?”

 

“I am making an admirable effort to comply with your rules, but you are not cooperating.  I am finding this… very annoying.  Our meeting will take just a few minutes.  Oh, I forgot to mention - I have a friend of yours with me.  I’m outside.”

 

Outside?  Shit - I knew it!  Did he say ‘a friend’? 

 

I crossed to the door and hesitantly peeked through the curtains.  Standing about eight feet away from the door, leaning casually against the deck railing, was Eric… and my friend. 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Thanks for reading and I would love to get your comments.