Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

This is an epic-long chapter, but I hope you like this chapter, it's chocked full of surprises. I hope you enjoy and review!  Many thanks to my new beta bajan-martini and help from A Friend.

Chapter 19 What Is That?

 

I watched as the blood and dirt swirled around and around – red and brown, red and brown – before washing down the drain. The hot water pulsing from the massager showerhead was soothing, except when it hit an open wound. I didn't have the stamina for a lengthy bath, so a quick shower had to do.

 

It was four o'clock in the morning. I had been to the ER, got patched up, and was now home. I lost count of how many times I was told that I was very lucky. Yep, I guess I am – sort of.

 

Though I didn't have any broken bones – thank you, God – I did have an impressive array of lumps, bumps, and bruises. The left side of my face looked like a painter's palette, a mosaic of splotchy, pastel bruises. Besides the lacerations on my leg, which were caused by the werewolf's claws, the only other major damage I suffered were bruised ribs on my left side. I've had bruised ribs before and it hurts like a bitch stealing your boyfriend. Every motion hurt, including breathing. Dr. Patel, the emitting ER doctor, gave me extremely potent pain killing medicine, the type that would make me love all creatures, great and small for a long, long time.

 

I've always joked about the 'wow-wow' highs of pain medicine, but I actually hated having to take them. I had to take them after the crash, and though they helped with pain management, they took quite a toll on my body and mind. They exhausted me, depressed me, and made me very moody. I weaned myself off of them as soon as I could.

 

But, I needed them now. Twenty minutes before I started my shower, I took a couple of the pills that Dr. Patel had given me – and wow - they were already kicking in. It was a struggle to keep my thoughts straight as I mentally perused issues regarding the two active investigations - the missing Moufettes and my werewolf attack.

 

Two teams from my police force were working on the cases. One team was headed by Deputy Ted Millot, who was the deputy that initially briefed me on the vampire attack at the Moufettes' farm. Deputy Kyle Bauer was heading up the team investigating my werewolf attack. However, both teams were at a standstill, waiting for the light of dawn.

 

Deputy Kenya Marcus insisted on staying the night at my house to watch over me. I welcomed and liked her company. However, even though I started to feel dizzy and disoriented while taking my shower, I didn't call to her for help. My pride didn't want her – or anyone on my team - to see me as weak or helpless…or, I guess I should say, see me weak and helpless again.

 

I am not a weak, pathetic, whining…okay, I am - but I don't want anyone to see it!... I really, really… REALLY hate this damn Thanksgiving holiday. Really…for real. It's been the worst – EVER!...Ever…

 

The effort to turn off the shower water seemed monumental and I groaned while doing it. The whole shower experience had been extremely taxing, so I rested against the shower wall. After a few minutes, I was revived enough to exit the shower. Then I saw it…but I wasn't sure if it was real or my drugged-induced imagination playing tricks on me.

 

What the fuck…What is that?

 

An arm was sticking through the midway opening of the shower curtain, and its hand was holding my towel.

 

That's not Kenya's hand, 'cos she's black and female. That's a white male's hand…A very, very pale, white man's hand. Oh shit, no!

 

I hostilely called out, "Who's there?" From the other side of the curtain, I heard the low, deep rumble of a man's laugh. All the hair on the back of my neck stood up.

 

Oh, come on! Not now!

 

I grabbed my towel from the hand and wrapped it around myself. The hand disappeared. I peeked out from behind the left side of the shower curtain, hoping against hope that a certain someone was not there. But, my luck had run out. It was Eric.

 

He was casually leaning against the bathroom door. The bathroom was small and his large presence made it feel too small, almost claustrophobic. He winked at me. His dark sapphire-colored eyes were suggesting all kinds of inappropriate possibilities. He was dressed in the same clothes from when I last saw him at his bar – in that dastardly, black wife-beater tank top, black pants and shoes. He looked edible; like a big, sexy, blonde lollipop leaning against the bathroom door.

 

Stop looking so hot, asshole! Damn, these drugs are just too ass-kicking strong…

 

I felt myself blush, which I rarely do, and it made me mad. I blurted out, "What are you doing here?! And here – in here!"

 

He took my white, terry cloth robe off the bathroom door hook and held it open, beaconing to me with a sly, wicked smirk. He purred, "I'm wasting my very valuable time offering you help. Your face looks awful. Does the rest of you the look like that? Come here." I glared back at him in response.

 

Eric rolled his eyes, "I won't hurt you. Come here." He shook the robe, further signaling me to come out of the tub enclosure.

 

I reached for the robe, but realized that it was too far away. I impatiently flapped my left arm at my side and whined, "Give it to me! Pleeeaaassse!."

 

His closed his eyes momentarily, while shaking his head in exasperation. He opened his eyes and glared at me; then he snapped at me, "I don't have time for this. I need to see your wounds. So come out…and hurry up, the humidity in here is not good for my hair."

 

I lunged forward, trying to grab the robe, but in doing so, I almost fell out of the tub. Eric grabbed my shoulder to steady me. "Don't do that! You could fall over the edge and smack open your little annoying head. These shoes are Exclusive Collection Gucci, I don't want them soiled. Come out." He pulled gently on my left upper arm, but I refused to budge.

 

Eric exhaled dramatically, "I won't hurt you. Come!…Okay, I won't look. Look, I'm turning my head. Take your time." He took a few steps back to give me room to exit the tub. He turned his head to the side, and held open the robe.

 

I took a breath and huffed it out, and then whined, "Dammit…come oooon, Eric! I'm not in the mood for this. I don't…dammit!" I was too exhausted to fight with him anymore. The water on my skin was cooling down and I started to feel chilled. So, I tightened my towel around me, and slowly and carefully stepped out of the tub.

 

Eric was still looking away and was now jiggling the robe. I limped over to the robe, and put one arm in a sleeve and was assisted with the other sleeve by Eric. He took over – he turned me around and jutted his head down to mine until we were almost touching noses. Without losing eye contact, he grabbed the towel off of me, dropped it, and then closed and belted my robe.

 

"All done. So, all that irritating whining wasn't necessary was it, hmm?" Eric didn't wait for my response and proceeded to wrap his arms around my waist and pulled me close, and then he bent his head down as if he was about to kiss me. Unfortunately, his attempt at physical intimacy rudely reminded me that I had bruised ribs. I yelped and then roughly pushed away from him. I protectively cuddled my ribs and gasped for air while wave after wave of pain washed over me. It was a struggle to talk, but I managed to say, "Ribs - hurt."

 

He frowned and slowly nodded his head in acknowledgement. He waited patiently – somewhat, he only checked the time on his watch once - while the pain subsided. When I was able to breathe normally, Eric held out his hand to me for support and said, "Let's get you to bed."

 

I looked at his face which held no expression. He just hurt me and doesn't care!

 

I smacked his hand and practically yelled at him, "GET AWAY FROM ME! What is wrong with you…you come into the bathroom while I'm…" As my anger built, I regrettably jerked my body to emphasize my words and had to suffer through more waves of agony.

 

I wobbled several feet over to the sink and leaned against it, clutching my side with one hand and rubbing my forehead with the other. "DAMMIT, these drugs…I can't think…GAWD – I'm so damn dizzy."

 

Eric reached for me and I again knocked away his hand, "No! Don't touch me! You're – why do you have to be so damn rough?! Jerk!...What are you doing in my bathroom? Why are you…leave me alone, just go…"

 

I felt nauseous. Please, don't let me throw up.

 

"Whoa…" My brain seemed to stall for a second. I shook my head, trying to clear it, but that just made it worse. My dizziness was very disorienting – which pissed me off. I hate being out of control.

 

The events of the last few days flashed in my mind and elevated my feelings. I was now angry - angry at everyone and everything – the accident, Roman, A.J., Eric, my pain, Eric, the world, and Eric.

 

I verbally lashed out at Eric, "How would you like it if…if I came into your house…your coffin…and touched your stuff…and touched your..you inna…inappropriately…like stalking…huh? I could do that, oh yeah! Yes indeed…dee!" I glared at him, waiting for an answer that never came. Then, I don't know why, but what I had just said sounded funny to me, so I started to giggle.

 

Eric pursed his lips, looked at his watch and quietly said, "I really don't have time for this."

 

But I was now on a roll, "Wait! Can you imagine that?! I'm outside your…you're in your coffin…and it – you open it and I yell – Surprise!" The image was just too damn funny for me and I started laughing, but carefully, so that I didn't jostle my ribcage.

 

Eric looked at me with the same amount of fascination as someone watching grass grow. The next thing I knew, I was being gently scooped up into strong arms and was carried into my bedroom. He gently placed me in a sitting position, on the edge on my bed. He kneeled down in front of me.

 

"Let me see your leg." He tried to pick up my leg but I pushed his hands away.

 

"Hey, buddy. Watch it! Why…do you have to see…look at my leg?" As I spoke, I tried to cover my leg with my robe.

 

Eric's hands gently captured my face and he looked soulfully into my eyes…God, he looks so handsome. He spoke to me and his voice was low, gentle and soothing, "Jo, it's important that I look at your leg. Werewolf wounds can be deadly. So, you will now let me look at your leg. Won't you?" He smiled at me. His smile is just sooo hot! It was so lethally sensual and it held me spellbound. I felt myself relaxing and I smiled back at him.

 

Eric reached for my leg again, and this time I didn't stop him. He lifted it, peeled back both the waterproof cover and bandage on my calf, and then closely examined the wound. I heard him say, "These are claw marks…good. Were you wounded anywhere else by the werewolf? Were you bitten?" I shook my head 'no' in response.

 

I slowly smiled as an idea blossomed in my head. I decided to have fun with Mr. Serious Vampire, so I reached over and slid my hand down his face, starting at his forehead, moving over his nose and ending at his chin. I said, "How come your face is so smooth this way," then, I slid my hand back up his face, bumping into his nose and brow line, "but so rough this way?" I started laughing and pushed his shoulder, wanting him to join me in the joke.

 

He grabbed my hand and held it still. He stared at me and seemed to be contemplating how he wanted to react to my joke. I pouted out my bottom lip, and then chuckled and winked at him. He decided to be benevolent and said, "Let's get some clothes on you." He reached for my robe belt and I smacked his hand away.

 

"Not before jewelry, buddy!" I cackled, rolling my head back, enjoying the moment, and the color of my drapes, and the painting of the ocean on the wall – then a large jab of pain slashed across my bruised ribs. I guess I leaned back too far.

 

I closed my eyes and moaned. "Oh, Jesus Christ!…That's a bitch! Oh, man…that really hurts. Ohhhh…okay. Hey, you don't have to dress me. HEY! HEY! KENYA! Kenya is here! Where is she?" I had forgotten all about her. When Eric didn't answer me, I opened my eyes to look at him – but he was gone. Where did he go? I looked around and saw him searching through drawers and pulling out pieces of clothing. I asked him again about Kenya.

 

He replied without looking at me, "Kenya is very busy. She is eating popcorn and watching a movie. She's having a very enjoyable time and we don't want to disturb her, do we?" I shook my head 'no' in response. I really didn't want her to…Wow, popcorn sounds really good…with lots of butter…I closed my eyes, because I felt tired.

 

Someone gently shook my shoulder. I opened my eyes - and Eric was back! He was back in front of me and holding up underwear, sleeping shorts and a matching top. "You are going to put these on, do you understand?" I nodded my head 'yes.'

 

He helped me put on my rib brace, then individually handed me each piece of clothing while holding me steady as I put each garment on. As far as I could tell, he was a gentleman at all times. I don't think he copped a feel and I didn't see him ogling me. But, I have to admit, I wasn't really paying much attention because the lamp in my room kept distracting me. It was glowing, with orange, yellow, and white circular bands of color, shining so softly…more than once, Eric snapped his fingers in my face to draw me away from it.

 

I heard him say, "You'll be fine. All your wounds look normal." He proceeded to ask me questions about the beast – what was the color of its fur, did its fur have a particular kind of pattern, how big was it, how strong was it, did it walk upright, and so on. I answered the questions as best as I could, but that darn lamp kept distracting me.

 

I was feeling very, very tired and said so. He helped me get into bed and while he was arranging the bed linen around me, I asked him, "Did you look at my kibbles and bits?"

 

He smirked and responded in a playful manner, "It's time for all annoying, female, human sheriffs to go to sleep."

 

I was getting very groggy and my mind was having problems with my eye lids.

 

But, I was pleased that…I forgot what I was pleased about, so I then tried to finish my previous thoughts. I concentrated real hard. Oh, geez…I said it wrong…okay, let me say it right.

 

I realized that I had confused my terminology to him…What did I say…Oh yeah! I got his attention by making a 'psst' sound. When he drew closer, I whispered to him, "Okay, now listen, before we go…Kibbles and Bits is a brand of dog food…So, I meant my 'lady bits'…like the breast-tes-is."

 

I grabbed his shirt and tried to pull him closer. "Okay, so, you smell like a man…with good stuff. So… it's important to not look…" Then, it occurred to me that he was a man-whore, and I became so alarmed on Kenya's behalf that I pulled harder on his shirt. "Dammit! Didn't you…hey – DON'T!...Don't do that, okay?...Do not sit…on Kenya's lap…with your man parts! Okay!?"

 

Eric smiled and shook his head 'no.' Then, he started to chuckle while extracting my hands from his shirt. Though my memories of following moments are stilted, I do remember hearing him laugh loudly and I do remember seeing his body shake with each rack of laughter. He struggled to say something through each guffaw, but whatever he said was totally lost on me. I had blacked out into sleep.

 


 

I slept until noon. My sleep had been filled with hellacious nightmares. Avis and I were in a remote village in Iraq, running from heavy gunfire and trying to find shelter. We finally found a door but couldn't get it open. Alpha Zulu command would radio us and tell us that we approached the structure incorrectly and that's why the door wouldn't open. So, we had to flee and then try to find our way back to the same door. The dream kept looping - we would find the same door but couldn't get it open, then command would call and tell us to re-do our approach - over and over.

 

When I stumbled and limped out into the living room area, I was surprised to find Miss Violet in the small kitchen area, which is opposite the living room area. She had gotten back from her weekend visit with one of her cousins and had decided to drop by and to see me. Apparently, Kenya had filled her in on what had happened to me. When Kenya had received a call from Ted needing her assistance in the field, Miss Violet volunteered to stay and watch over me...and she brought food…

 

"Good Lord, honey! It looks like youze wuz rode hard and put away wet! Come on in here and sit yaself down. Ya need some of my chicken soup…and I'm gonna put a shot of whiskey it in. It'll warm ya up."

 

After I lumbered over and sat down at the dining table, Miss Violet brought me coffee and then started to warm up some chicken noodle soup that she had brought. She continued to prattle on and I let her. It was actually soothing to have her fuss over me.

 

"Dem damn werewuves! I plum forgot 'bout yer car. Dammit all! Don't worry, I'm gonna git ya fixed right up. I got more greens over at Edna's so I'll git you fixed up, and I'm gonna freshen the wolfbane 'round the house. Sweetie, why did ya take down the Hawthorn branches? Wuz it cos of dat blonde vamp fella I seen here?"

 

I froze mid-slurp and looked at her. "No, I didn't take down anything. What's Hawthorn?" I purposely ignored her question about Eric, hoping she would take the hint that I didn't want to discuss the blonde vamp fella.

 

She turned to look at me; she scrunched up her face, conveying her feelings of confusion and concern to me. She turned back to her task and spoke with a slight crispness in her voice. "It's dem greens dat keep the vamps away. I thought I told ya – I know I did. Maybe ya knocked yer noggin' too hard….So, you didn't huh? Well sumbody did. Not the vamp, though. He musta had sumbody do it…I don't know…So…is dat vamp the one dat beens botherin' ya?"

 

I shrugged my shoulders and nodded slightly and played with the salt and pepper shakers.

 

Miss Violet laughed and then smacked the wooden spoon down on the rim of the soup pot. "Well huney – if ya gonna be bothered by a man – dat's a damn fine man to be bothered by! HA! He sure is one goooood lookin' man! Yes indeedy! It don't look like youze too bothered, is ya?" She looked at me and winked, "If I was twenty years younga, I'd set my bonnet on him!" She cackled and cooed, "Wooo-wweeee!"

 

"Miss Violet, I – "

 

"Oh honey. I knowed how things are so different now…it's so hard to find a good man. Hell, at my age, it's just good to find a man dat can git hard! Oh Lord, please forgive meI'm talkin' blue like a sailor!" As she said the last sentence, she held her hands up in the air and spoke to the ceiling as if she was giving witness in an evangelist church. She laughed long and hard. I started to wonder if she had been sampling the whiskey before I woke up.

 

She brought me the soup, crackers, and a spoon, chucking all the while. Then she got serious and sat and joined me at the table, "Now listen to me, sweetie. I don't judge no body – lest of all you. Youze a good girl, I can tell. But listen here – don't be letting show any of dem bite marks on yer neck or anywherez people can see 'em. You hear me? Dats white trash ways! Ya got your reputation and ya don't want to lose it! Peoplez around here don't cotton to dat kind of thing - and they don't forget it, either!"

 

I just listened and nodded. I was fully aware of the importance of appearances and perception in the South.

 

"Dem tattoos is disgustin', too. Girlz in my day wouldn't dream of doing dat! No sir! Don't be gittin' any of dem, either! So, how long you been seein' him?"

 

It took me a minute to realize that her rambling had stopped and that she was asking me a question. I sputtered, "Oh ah…oh…I'm not, really...we aren't …really. He's…sort of shows ups. I like…I think he's attractive, you know. But, I'm not pursuing it - him."

 

She pulled out a toothpick from her pocket and started to pick at her teeth, while saying, "Well, if ya do, like I said, keep it quiet. You don't want folks to know…not a'roun these parts...But lemme tell ya…if it wuz me, I would answer dat door right away, if he came a-knockin'." She giggled and then continued, "On my! He is a mighty fine lookin' man. Ooooh, my. You don't find 'em like that very often, alive or dead…Good-lookin,' strong, tall…and big. You knowed what I mean by big, don't ya?!" She giggled again and gave me a sly wink. A devilish grin slid on her face.

 

I couldn't believe it, but she actually made me blush. What a lady! I chuckled and shook my head in disbelief. "You are something, Miss Violet. And I mean that with true respect and love."

 

"Sweet girl, ya got so much goin' fer ya. Take hold of it! You got a real purdy face, and you don't slouch like most tall gals. Ya got a real good shape to ya; I've seen men stretchin' to ketch an extra look at ya!"

 

She reached out and softly cupped my chin with her hand, gently turning my face from side to side. "Well – you ain't real good lookin' right now with all dem bruises and scratches, but y'ull be lookin' good in no time!...Take it from me - use it now and enjoy it while you can! Dere will come a day when you won't be able to give it away…trust me…it's a sad day when it comes, too."

 

I chuckled and nodded my head. I knew she was right and I silently hoped that day was a long way off.

 

While I finished the last spoonful of Miss Violet's whiskey, chicken noodle soup – and it was real good - my cell phone rang. It was Ted Millot, the deputy who was leading the search for the missing Moufette’s. He had good and bad news.

 

Ted stated that they had just found the missing Moufette car. Reportedly, though there were four persons missing, only two people were found with the car. One was alive - the teenage granddaughter of Miss Sadie, whose name was Lacey. One was dead - Miss Sadie's son-in-law, Bud Prudhomme, who was Lacey's father. Lacey was wounded and in shock. She was being loaded into the EMT vehicle as we spoke.

 

Miss Sadie and her grown daughter, Ruby Jean - mother to Lacey, wife to Bud - were the two missing persons. Ted told me that they had dogs following a scent – a blood trail, and it was a strong one. He had high hopes of finding them.

 

I wanted to get to the Moufette investigation site but I knew I couldn't drive. Fortunately, Ted said that Kyle Bauer, who had just finished processing my accident site, would be able to swing by and pick me up. Ted mentioned that the dogs at my car accident site couldn't find a trail and that the search had been called off. Within minutes of hanging up with Ted, Kyle called and said he was on his way to get me and he would arrive in twenty minutes.

 

I hobbled and wobbled around, dressing myself in black dress slacks, a plain white blouse, and a black, non-descript jacket; no uniform today, I realized that I wouldn't be able to properly perform my duties, so I was going to be an observer. Miss Violet trailed behind me, scolding me as if I were a child. She was worried that I was too weak to go out in my current condition. Actually, I was feeling better so I politely ignored her.

 

When Kyle arrived, she threatened him with bodily harm if he allowed anything to happen to me. Of course, threatening a police officer is a major offense and is grounds for an arrest - but neither Kyle nor I were that dumb…or brave. I bet Miss Violet, wielding her wooden spoon like a ninja warrior, would scare even Eric.

 

It was a little over an hour later when Kyle and I pulled up to the site. During the ride over, Kyle had filled me in on his investigation of my car crash site, though there wasn't much to tell. Aside from possible DNA samples, all of which were compromised since they weren't 'clean,' meaning they had other elements mixed in and therefore they were tainted, there wasn't much evidence to log. They couldn't find any paw or foot prints and the creature's scent had somehow confused the dogs.

 

I saw that Ted was on the radio command and I could hear him talking with the coroner's office. I decided to not disturb him, so Kyle and I walked over to the victims' car.

 

The car was an old Toyota Camry. It was tan in color, both inside and out, and looked very worn and torn, with rust well over a third of the car's body. It had crashed, head-on into a tree. It was only twenty feet from the road and would have been easily seen, but the thick brush hid it from sight. I saw bloody, smeared hand prints on the left side of the car, on both the doors and windows.

 

The interior of the car was covered in blood; it looked like someone had sprayed blood around with a hose. The dead body of Bud Pruhomme was slumped over in the driver's seat. The right side of his throat was torn away and his exterior carotid artery lay exposed. A stream of blood was still oozing out of it and pooling in the seat beside him. He must have bled out in mere minutes.

 

I looked closer into the interior of the car and saw various blood sprays, splats, and splatters that could not have come from Bud. I could tell that he had never moved from his current location. These additional blood configurations told me that there were other wounded victims besides Bud.

 

When Ted joined us, he had more news about Miss Sadie and Ruby Jean.

 

"Hey Sheriff, how are you do…wow, you look rough. Are you okay?" He sincerely looked shocked by my appearance. It was the general reaction that I would received from most of the staff at the site.

 

"Yep, I'm good. I look worse than I feel." I smiled, trying to lighten up the moment. Ted did his best to smile back.

 

As is Ted's style, he jumped right into briefing me. "Okay. So - we found Ruby Jean and Miss Sadie…Ah, but bad news, Miss Sadie is dead. This is what we got from Lacey and Ruby Jean, their stories matched each other's – Miss Sadie goes berserk and attacks Bud. Out of the blue. She just woke up, yelling like she's in pain and just jumps him and chows down on his neck. Bud drives off the road and wrecks the car."

 

Ted started to move around as he tells the story, and is practically acting out the events as he narrates. "Then, Miss Sadie goes after Lacey, scratching and biting her. So, Ruby Jean gets into it, can't get a good hold on her mama, so she gets out of the car, runs around the car, opens the door and pulls Miss Sadie off of Lacey. Ruby Jean then yells to Lacey to lock the car doors – which Lacey does. Then, Ruby Jean is throwing stuff at her mama and then gets Miss Sadie to follow after her into the woods. Ruby Jean draws her away from the car, Lacey, and Bud. They both go running north into the woods. That's the last that Lacey seen of 'em."

 

Ted had to stop and catch his breath; he had been jumping and twirling around. Ted was carrying about forty extra pounds of padding, so that was quite a workout for him.

 

Once he had his breath back, he started to look nervous. He licked his lips and I could see him trying to gather his thoughts before he spoke. With a noticeable air of trepidation, he continued. "Ruby Jean had to…she…ah…she's not doing well. She's mental, all upset and hysterical. She's not feeling well, 'cos she'd been bitten by Miss Sadie at the house, and was having to fight Miss Sadie and all. Plus, now she feels like something is eating up her insides. She's on her way now to the ER."

 

Ted paused for a moment to wipe his face with his handkerchief. He took a gulp of air and huffed it out. He seemed disturbed, and rightfully so, but there was something else. It was as if he was afraid to say something, but he continued on, despite his mixed feelings. "Uh…Sheriff…the Moufette’s are well known in the area…and um…Well, okay. Ruby Jean…had…to…hit Miss Sadie in the head with a branch…in self defense! I knowed it was. Miss Sadie and Ruby Jean were real tight. Miss Sadie was a good mother and Ruby Jean –"

 

I waved my right hand slightly, reassuring Ted that I wasn't jumping to conclusions, "Ted, it sounds like we have a clear case of self defense here."

 

"Yes ma'am!" Ted looked and sounded greatly relieved. That was what he was afraid of, that I would arrest Ruby Jean for murder.

 

Ted looked at me for further comments, but I had none. I jutted my chin up, prodding him to continue. "Okay, so both Lacey and Ruby Jean sustained bite marks from Miss Sadie. Ruby Jean…hit…and killed Miss Sadie in self defense. We found them both about quarter mile into the woods. Ruby Jean was holding her mama's body…she was a mess…it was like she was out of her mind. She and Lacey are both going to the hospital now. They should be there soon, if they aren't already."

 

I watched him take a moment to adjust mentally and physically. These last several days probably contained more drama and trauma than he had ever seen in his entire career, and it was getting to him. But, he was holding up well. I glanced at Kyle, this level of gore and violence was probably new to him, too. Like Ted, he too was holding up well. But, he looked jittery and hyper-alert.

 

It was time for me to step in and steer the boat a little bit and let the guys take a mental breather. "Okay, so…do we know why Miss Sadie became violent?"

 

Ted sounded as perplexed as he looked. "No – not really. But, we do know that Miss Sadie was feeling sick yesterday and then became angry…the family said 'mean'…and then went out of her head and grabbed Ruby Jean and started to beat her, and bite her, and claw her. This was back at the house. Then, Miss Sadie starts to moan and grabs her stomach; then she starts coughing…then they saw blood in her spit. That's why they were going to the hospital, to take care of both Miss Sadie and Ruby Jean."

 

Something bothered me. "Ted, you said Ruby Jean wasn't feeling well, her stomach bothered her. Was it the same thing that her mother was experiencing…maybe?"

 

Ted nodded and responded, "Yes ma'am."

 

I mentally made a timeline of the past five days, and then verbally talked through it. "Okay then. Let's see, guys – follow along with me and tell me if I'm leaving out anything. Five days ago, Thanksgiving, Nathan attacks Miss Sadie. Bites her. He vomits up black fluid, is in agony and then dies. Miss Sadie starts to feel ill, and Saturday night, or actually Sunday morning – early, she attacks Ruby Jean, bites her. Sunday morning, they try to take Miss Sadie to the hospital, she attacks and kills Bud and then attacks Lacey and Ruby Jean. Ruby Jean kills her – in self defense, but now she – Ruby Jean – isn't feeling well. Did I get everything?"

 

Both men nodded 'yes.' I watched them, waiting for the realization to hit. I saw the dawning of awareness first in Kyle's face. He echoed my thoughts with his words, "Oh my Lord…what if…what if Ruby Jean and Lacey…turn into Miss Sadie and attack people!"

 

Both men stared at each other with gaping mouths, and then they simultaneously start sputtering and talking to me. A flurry of alarms and questions spewed from their mouths, "Oh my God," "We need to call," "What if this is like a virus thing, like AIDS, but it spreads real fast?"

 

I raised my hands to quiet them down and then waved them to come closer, so that they could hear me whisper. "We HAVE to keep this thing quiet. We need those ladies restrained and guarded – starting now. Let's see, it took Miss Sadie about," I counted on fingers the number of days that it took her to become ill and violent.

 

"It took her three days to become sick and violent. So, she bit Ruby Jean – three days ago, almost three days. We need both Ruby Jean and Lacey strapped down NOW! One more thing…check and see if Miss Sadie had grown fangs, like vampire fangs."

 

The men and I devised a strategy and Kyle got busy calling around making all the necessary arrangements to restrain Ruby Jean and Lacey. Ted left to deal with the coroner, Mike Spencer, who was back from his vacation. Ted asked the coroner to check Miss Sadie for fangs. Ted reported back that they didn't see any fangs in her mouth. I considered that as a good thing. At least she wasn't turning into a vampire when she died.

 

In the meantime, I tried calling Roman's cell phone but he didn't pick up. I hadn't heard from him since the barbeque and I needed to talk with him, especially with all the new developments going on in my area. I decided to call his office and left a message with a staff member. Maybe they could track him down.

 

An hour later, Kyle and I were at the hospital with the purpose of talking with Ruby Jean and Lacey.  However, both women were too heavily sedated to hold a conversation. They both had been placed in bed restraints and a deputy was guarding each one. I talked with the head resident doctor on duty and explained to him the situation at hand. He was absolutely incredulous when I explained everything, but I was pleased to see that he took me seriously. The hospital staff were briefed and on alert, and the wait was on.

 

It was around dinner time, and I was hungry and exhausted. Two doctors told me to go home or they would forcibly admit me to the hospital as a patient.

 

Kyle drove me home, but we ordered take-away from Merlotte's and stopped by to pick it up. I waited in the cruiser while Kyle went in to get our orders. It looked like Merlotte's was having a slow night.

 

When Kyle came out with the food, he was accompanied by Arlene, Lafayette, and Sam.

 

Sam stooped down so that he could talk to me through the car window, "I heard you had an exciting evening, last night."

 

Behind Sam, Arlene and Lafayette were bent over so that they could peer over his shoulder. Arlene struggled to be kind, but the she couldn't help herself, and she said, "Wow, you look like a Monet painting. All those colors all over your face…I have a cover-up foundation stick in my purse, do you want me to go get it?"

 

Lafayette cut off Arlene and pointedly asked, "What the Hell happen to you? Were you in a car accident?"

 

I couldn't help myself, my mouth runneth over, and I responded with, "Actually, you have to keep this to yourself…" I looked at all three; they all nodded in unison and all had very serious expressions on their faces.

 

"Well…actually…I was making a sex video and I fell off of my dining table." I grinned and looked at the trio…and they all looked back at me with stunned 'deer-caught-in-headlights' stares.

 

I started laughing, "I'm joking. It was a car accident! An animal ran across the road and I swerved trying to miss it and I flipped."

 

They all slowly pulled out of their dazed states and Lafayette said, "Damn, it must have been a Hell of a video!" He and Sam laughed, but Arlene punched him in the arm and told him to stop teasing me.

 

Sam quietly said, "Let me know if you need anything. Okay?"

 

I smiled and patted his hand that was resting on the car door. "I'm good, thanks."

 

Sam looked at me, and I got the feeling he was letting me know that he knew what really happened. I smiled back at him and gave him a slight nod. I told him that I would stop by soon to pick up my coffee order, which was my signal to him that we needed to talk. He nodded and winked at me, which told me my message was received.

 

Kyle stayed at my house and we ate our dinners together. After he left, I laid down on the couch, turned the television on for background noise and started mapping out strategies for the various cases. I eventually fell asleep.

 


 

I woke up instantly, on full alert. I was disoriented for a few moments, not knowing what woke me. Then I heard it – men shouting.

 

Memories of the werewolf flashed in my head and I felt my stomach lurch and grow cold with fear.

 

I got up and crept around the room, peeking out each window carefully so that I wouldn't draw attention from whomever was outside. It was dark, but the moon was still full…and still red. It illuminated the outdoors enough for me to a make out that a man was running around the perimeter of my house, and two other men were trying to catch him.

 

Then I heard the man being chased yell, "Jo! Jo, please! Jo!"

 

I froze in place. Is that…Roman?

 

I limped to the front door, turned on the deck lights and went out. I saw the man being chased stumble and fall approximately ten feet away from my deck steps. The two men that were chasing him caught up to him and were now wrestling with him. I could now clearly see the captured man's face – it was Roman.

 

I yelled, "HEY! Roman? Leave him alone! What the Hell do you think you are doing?" Like a fool, I hurried across the deck and was about to go down the steps when I heard one of the capturers yell at me. In hindsight, what I should have done was gone back into the house and gotten a weapon.

 

"Stop! I have a gun, I said STOP!" One of the men that captured Roman was standing, shouting, and pointing a rifle at me. The other man was kneeling on Roman's back, trying to hold him down.

 

I heard the distinct sound of a rifle being cocked. I stopped dead in my tracks and stood very still. My eyes were still adjusting to the dim of the moonlight, but I could clearly make out the faces of both men and Roman. The man kneeling on Roman grabbed something off of his belt and I heard the crackle of a taser gun. He had just stunned Roman into submission.

 

I was now able to make out the details of Roman's appearance. He was wearing what looked like scrub pants, the kind of pants that doctors wore in surgery. He had on nothing else, not even shoes.

 

The man holding the rifle looked familiar, and I searched through my scrambled brain trying to place him. In the meantime, he addressed me.

 

"HEY! Okay, listen – just stay back, okay? You don't know what's going on here – so just stay away. Don't move! I mean it. I don't want to use this! YOU GOT ME?"

 

I nodded 'yes,' and tried to keep my cool. A thousand and one thoughts were flying through my brain. My revolver was in the safe, I couldn't tell if Roman was breathing…Who the hell was this guy?

 

The man holding the rifle reached down to help his companion put handcuffs on a semi-conscious Roman, all the while sniffing loudly, he then asked his companion, "DAMN! What the Hell is that smell? Jesus!"

 

The companion smacked his hand away and yelled at him, "SHUT UP! Hold your nose and don't get too close to the house. DAMMIT Howie!? Get 'em on the phone now, come on dammit!" Both men glared at me.

 

The rifleman, now identified as Howie, seemed overwhelmed, but managed to pull out a cell phone and punch in some numbers. Howie was very excited when his call was answered, and he blurted out, "HEY! HEY! "WE GOT 'IM! Tell a – tell the boss that we got 'im."

 

He listened for a minute and then responded, trying to whisper so that I couldn't hear, but in his excitement, he wasn't able to regulate his voice. "We're over here at her house. Yeah, yeah. Ah…ah, we got a complication…she's here…yeah, yeah! I know! Okay, okay. Well – I'm got her at rifle point and Pete's got Roman stunned and down. No, no…we didn't…I swear! Okay, okay, I'll do it!"

 

Howie broke from his phone conversation to call to me, "Hey, listen! You go on into the house and just sit down…and um…we'll finish up here. Okay? Go on…" Howie was attempting to gently coax me into the house, but the presence of the rifle just didn't seem friendly to me.

 

I shook my head, and tried to talk some sense into them, "Listen, boys. I'm a sheriff and that man is a sheriff. You don't want to this to get out of hand, okay? So, let's –"

 

I heard the sound of barking dogs coming from the woods behind my house. I could see the beam of flashlights flickering through the trees. I could faintly hear men's voices shouting and calling to each other. It sounded like a small mob of people and animals were making their way towards my house.

 

I started to feel very nervous. I realized that even if I got my hand gun, I would be easily outnumbered in a gun fight. This is not good.

 

Howie seemed relieved and shouted into the phone. "We hear them! Yeah, okay, okay!" Howie hung up the phone and nodded to Pete. "That's Ernie and his boys coming through the woods. The boss should be coming down the road any minute."

 

As soon as he finished speaking, a group of six men and three dogs broke out of the woods, running in our direction.

 

I ignored my instinct to run into the house and lock the door. I couldn't leave Roman – you don't leave a comrade behind, ever.

 

I heard a loud crunching of stone peddles and looked at the access road leading to my house. I was amazed to see a fleet of SUVs and trucks barreling down the road, en route to my house.

 

I felt overwhelmed as both groups met and merged in front of my house.

 

Shit…I'm fucked.

 

A shiny black Escalade SUV stood out in the pack of trucks and other SUVs. It stopped twenty feet from my deck. I saw the driver jump out and walk towards Roman. The man was angry and I heard him swear at everyone in the area. His voice sounded familiar and with the aid of the headlights from the trucks and SUVs, I saw that it was A.J. - Roman's cousin, and the Chief of Police in Bernard Parish. I was just at his house no more than forty-eight hours ago - drinking, eating, and shooting in a competition. I couldn't comprehend what was going on, why he was here, and I stared at him in amazement.

 

"Goddammit! You boys fucked this up royally. Shit! Get him up!" He was concentrating his anger on Howie and Pete and also waving to men who had just disembarked from the platoon of vehicles. "You boys are goin' to gimme a stroke!"

 

A.J. walked towards the deck steps but stopped suddenly. He was approximately six feet away from the deck steps. He looked down at the ground and scrutinized it. He looked around and about the deck and I heard him swear under his breath, "Shit."

 

A.J. abruptly stopped looking around and turned his head to me and smile. "Evein' cher! How you doin' this fine evenin'? How you feelin'? I heard you had a bad tumble. But you're okay, right? Now, don't worry about this here. Everything will be right as rain real soon. We'll get you a new car and –"

 

My brain finally came back on line, and I practically shouted as I interrupted him, "A.J., what's going on? Those men – they chased Roman and just tasered him! Look at him!" As I looked over at Roman, I saw something that I didn't notice before. Roman had a large bandage on his upper right chest. Blood had seeped through the bandage, staining it bright red, and now was slowly trickling down his chest.

 

"Jesus Christ, A.J.! Look! He's bleeding. What happened? TELL ME –"

 

A.J. shouted at me, cutting me off. "CALM DOWN GODDAMMIT! Ain't nothing wrong – nothing is seriously wrong with him, he'll be just fine. Now, I want you to go inside and –"

 

My anger was getting the best of me and I shouted at A.J., drowning out his pathetic prattle, "A.J. WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU! That's Roman! HE'S HURT! He needs help!"

 

A.J. slapped his hand on his forehead, and looked like he was massaging his head. I heard him take a deep breath and slowly release it. He was trying to keep his cool. With a very patronizing voice, he spoke to me, "Okay…darlin' listen…he's going to be okay…Now, listen to me, are you listenin' to me?"

 

I followed A.J.'s example and took a deep breath and let it out, hoping that it would calm me. I nodded 'yes' in reply.

 

A.J. pointed to Roman, who was now semi-standing while two men supported him. Both men were straining to keep him held up on his feet.

 

"He got into a…a little accident…it's private…a private matter…booze was involved…get my drift? He's drying out. He did hurt himself. The doctor says he'll be just fine, okay? Now go back into the house and I'll call you later. Hear me?"

 

I don't believe a fucking word you just said. I glared at him and then I quickly walked to the deck steps and was about to descend them, when A.J. shouted at me to stop.

 

Just as I was about to disregard him and walk down the deck stairs, I felt a cold rush of air blow down on me from above my head. I actually jumped when I saw Eric land beside me on the deck. He promptly grabbed my upper arm and pulled me away from the steps.

 

A.J. yelled out, "FUCK!" He then angrily kicked at the ground, sending up a cloud of dust. He started laughing gruffly, then threw his arms out wide to the sides, and glared at Eric. It looked like he was welcoming Eric with an open embrace, but his voice was not at all welcoming as he shouted, "Well, well, well! If it ain't my old, old, OLD buddy, Eric! WHAT…THE…FUCK…ARE…YOU…DOING…HERE?"

 

Immediately, every man holding a weapon - which was everyone present, all twenty of them - cocked and aimed their weapons at Eric.

 

Eric laughed and then pulled me in front of him while saying, "You're not going to shoot your newest little team mate, are you?"

 

I was scared. I looked at Eric out of the corner of my eye, and though his mouth was smiling, his eyes weren't. They were cold, and black as coal. I looked at A.J., who was sneering back at Eric. They stared at each other for what felt like forever.

 

A.J. broke the silence and quietly but firmly told all his men to lower their guns. I mentally thanked the heavens when everyone obeyed him. Eric gently pushed me away from him.

 

"Eric, you need to leave now, this is a private matter." A.J. looked and sounded calm, but I knew that he was fuming.

 

Eric didn't look calm and cool. He looked like he wanted to cause some chaos. "Nope – afraid not. We had a deal and you broke it. Your dog there," he pointed at Roman, "crossed the line and has brought attention to our little community."

 

A.J.'s voice was low, cool, and steel-tough as he warned Eric, "I said…you better leave now. I'm not going to say it again."

 

Eric's eyes narrowed into slits, he hissed and opened his mouth - his fangs snapped out into view. His whole face contorted and became…well, just plain evil looking, monstrous…the thing of legends that we never want to meet in an alley or anywhere.

 

Eric spoke quietly, "If you are challenging me, I accept. But know this, before your men can aim and fire their weapons, I will have already slit your throat and will have drunk from it. Then, after I drain you…I will slaughter them all…" Eric slowly looked around the group of men.

 

A.J.'s men were all trying to hide their various levels of fear. A.J. hadn't moved a muscle and just stood there, staring back at Eric. I'm not going to lie, I was scared, too.

 

Eric reached out and grabbed my upper left arm and pulled me over to him. When I struggled to resist him, he placed his right hand on the back of my neck and held me in place. It was the same way he had held me on his lap, in his office, several months ago.

 

He didn't look at me as he spoke to me. "How sad…two hearts that beat unrequited…you and Roman…I think it's time that you two should be united. Why don't we take a closer look at your true love, hmm?"

 

Eric walked to the steps, pulling me along with him, with his hand still on my neck. He said, "Step down," He took a step down and pulled me down with him.

 

I saw Roman stir, and then he opened his eyes and looked at me, "Jo…Jo…I'm so sorry…so sorry."

 

Eric took another step down, and pulled me down with him. A.J. started to shift about, moving his weight from one foot to the other.

 

I saw A.J.'s face shift into a true concern and he cautioned Eric, "Hey, don't do that. Come on now…Keep her away or you're going to rile him up."

 

Eric walked down the last two steps, pulling me with him, until we were standing on the ground. He then stepped behind me and grabbed both of my upper arms. He snarled, "Now, time to greet your true love, Jo." I felt him moving forward and he pushed me so that I was walking in front of him.

 

I tried to pull away but his hands were as strong as iron shackles. Despite my fear, I was pissed off at being manhandled by him and I harshly whispered to him, "Stop this and stop saying those things! Let me go, dammit!"

 

Roman's whole body tensed up when I spoke. He must have heard my voice. He then looked like he sniffed the air. His face was turned away from me, but I could see him looking at me from the corner of his eye.

 

We got closer and closer - seven feet, then six feet - A.J.'s voice became urgent and increased in volume. "Dammit – Eric. Don't! What the Hell are you doing? You're agitating him! HE WILL HURT HER – OR WORSE!"

 

As soon as the last word was yelled from A.J.'s mouth - I saw it happen. I couldn't believe it.

 

Roman threw back his head and yelled out in frustration. The sound changed to a roar. His fingers grew into claws. His teeth turned into horrible, shark-like blades, with one inch fangs. His eyes turned yellow and then glowed green. As his appearance continued to shift, he seemed to get strong, and then he attacked.

 

He shoved away both men that were holding him, broke the cuffs holding his wrists and leaped at Eric and me.

 

In a flash, it all happened so fast and was over. Simultaneously, as Roman leapt, Eric threw me somewhat gently to the right side, I stumbled but didn't fall. When Roman was within reach of where my head had been before Eric moved me, Eric effortlessly backhanded Roman in the head. I heard Roman scream out in pain. The force of Eric's strike was so severe that it sent Roman flying high into the air, and then he landed twenty feet away from us. When he came down, he came smashing down hard into the ground. After Roman landed, he didn't move.

 

I watched a smile creep over Eric's face and then I heard him chuckle. He had retracted his fangs and stood with his hands on his hips, and theatrically laughed at Roman's crumpled, unconscious body. He turned to me and said, "What do you think? Do you want to keep him as a pet? Now, don't decide on the first dog you see at the pound, look around before you make up your mind." Eric made a broad sweeping gesture with his arm, indicating all the men standing around us.

 

I stared at Eric, dumbfounded. Everyone, including A.J., was staring at him in the same manner but for different reasons. I do know we all were realizing the same thing – that Eric was very, very dangerous – far beyond our imaginations. He swatted Roman away as if he were a fly. Maybe we all are just flies to him.

 

A.J. mustered up some bravado and coolly said, "That's enough, Eric. You've had your fun, got your revenge –"

 

Eric cut him off with a snarl, "No! She doesn't know the whole story but she will. I want her to know what kind of…beasts she is actually working for and with." He looked at me and smiled, "Have you guessed their little secret yet, hmmm?"

 

A.J. took a step towards Eric, his fists were clenched and his jaw was taunt, "That's enough! We need to keep this contained, for all of us! You too!"

 

Eric flicked off dust from his grey suit and then purposely responded in such a manner that each word was enunciated distinctly. "You…broke…the…rules…sooooo! " Eric looked at me with a big fake smile and asked, "Jo, guess who tried to kill you nearly twenty-four hours ago? One clue, he just tried it again! Come on, who is it?" He walked over to me and grabbed me by the back of the neck again. I have to say, he wasn't hurting me and hadn't really hurt me at all during this time, but it was humiliating to be treated like that in front of everyone.

 

"Yep, the big, bad werewolf was yours truly…your true-but-unrequited-love! But don't feel bad, you shot him twice in the shoulder!"

 

He released his hold on the back of my neck, and then looped his arm around my neck in a lose neck-choke hold. "Jo, meet the Red Wolf Pack! Once in a red moon, they are forced to change shape if they haven't found their true mate of choice. If they've found a desirable mate, then they chase her down to impregnate her, by force if necessary. If she resists, then they kill her. If she survives…and the desired pregnancy occurs, then she has to flee for her life until the baby is born – just in case he changes his mind or is in a foul mood… Oh, the fun I see you two having in the weeks to come!"

 

Oh God…this can't be happening…this can't be true…

 

I heard A.J. talking to me but I didn't turn to look at him. My eyes were transfixed on Roman's crumpled form. "Eric, that's not true. Jo, don't listen to him. Roman's just outta whack. He's got his mate, he's got Twyla and she's pregnant! He aint' trying to kill her – or you! This is his first red moon since he's been home, it'll all git straightened out in a few days. This happens a lot, nothin' to worry yourself about. He just got your smell in his noise and just went off – you know."

 

A.J. continued on, but I didn't hear what he was saying. He sounded almost desperate in his attempt to be as nonchalant as possible, rationalizing, reasoning, and smoothing away the roughness of reality. However, I didn't buy any of his bullshit.

 

"Will he keep trying to kill me?" I looked at A.J. and hoped to hear a strong 'no' in return. I waited…and waited…it never came.

 

A.J. fidgeted with his watch, "In time, really probably no more than a week. It's like rutting bucks, they git all fired up and then the season passes and they’re back to normal. He's just, you know…" A.J. started to chuckle. "It's a male thing, spreading your seed and all. But it'll pass. I swear on my mother's grave, it'll all be back to normal in no time, and it'll be like it never happened. I swear, cher!"

 

A sob caught in my throat as I asked A.J. "What did you do to him? Why did you do this to him?"

 

A.J. eyes blazed with fury and he snapped back at me, "I didn't do nuthin'! There ain't NUTHIN' wrong with him! He is what he is! He was born a wolfman, and he's damn proud of it. WE ALL ARE PROUD OF IT!"

 

As the last puzzle piece slipped into place, I felt myself come close to fainting, which I've never done in my entire life.

 

Oh, my God, Roman is a werewolf…they all are…and he tried to kill me…

 

The sound of a car speeding down the access road caught all of our attention. It was a brand new "S" class, silver Mercedes. While all the men turned to look at the approaching car, Eric grabbed my upper arm and quickly pulled me back up onto the deck.

 

The car screeched to a halt, churning up grass and dirt. The driver's door opened and the driver leapt out of the car. It was Twyla, Roman's fiancée.

 

Oh shit.

 

It was kind of funny, as I was thinking 'oh shit,' I actually heard a small chorus of, "Oh shit" echoed throughout the group.

 

Twyla looked around the crowd. I think she was searching for Roman. I was right, because when she saw him, she went running over to him, calling his name. When she got to him, she knelt down and cradled his head in her lap. I heard her crying as she tried to comfort and wake him, "Oh baby, oh Roman! Baby? Baby, talk to me, please. Can you hear me?"

 

"Twyla, he's fine. He's just…resting…he ain't been shot with silver bullets, so he'll survive." A.J.'s attempt to reassure Twyla was diluted by the exasperated lilt in his voice. "He's gonna be…fine. Why don't you head on out-"

 

She yelled at A.J., "You bastard! You let him get hurt! You said he wouldn't get hurt. What if he dies? What about me and the baby? Huh? What's going to happen to us if he dies?" She was holding his head and rocking back and forth, kissing the top of his head. Then…she saw me.

 

She shrieked, "YOU BITCH! This is all your fault! He's mine, do you hear me? MINE!" She jumped up, dropping Roman's head to the ground without concern, and ran towards me.

 

DAMMIT! Not a cat fight, please!

 

I held out my hands trying to signal her to halt. I called to her, trying to talk her out of her rage, "No! No, it's not what you think…no, really. Stop! STOP!"

 

As she ran by A.J., he reached out and grabbed her and tried to calm her down. She kicked him in his right leg shin and twisted away. She ran a few feet and then stopped. She looked at me without any expression on her face.

 

She quickly reached into the pocket of her raincoat and pulled out a small handgun. She aimed it at me and fired.

Chapter End Notes:

Thanks so much for reading - please leave a comment.