Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

 

February Twelfth

Liberty Diner- Pittsburgh, PA

"We go through this every year honey; and every year is another when you could be meeting Mr. Right. Cause I'll tell ya right now Mr. Right ain't Brian Kinney." Debbie tried desperately to get through the hard head of her only son.

He'd been swooning over his best friend since they were kids. Now, don't get her wrong, Deborah Novotny loved Brian; considered him a son. However, the man wasn't right for her Michael.

The stud of Liberty Avenue didn't believe in love, a fact he tried to prove through every random trick in Pennsylvania.

Michael had endless fantasies about Brian returning his more than platonic love. She often hated when Brian would flirt back. It was always friendship, nothing more. Unfortunately, Michael never could differentiate the two.

Here it was, Valentine's Day fast approaching. Once again her son's sights were set on the unattainable, setting himself up for heartbreak. But, she couldn't tell him that. Sometimes as a parent, you had to just sit back and watch them get hurt. Just be there to pick up the pieces when they shatter.

With a heavy sigh she planted a kiss on Michael's cheek. As she turned to take the orders of a booth full of hustlers, Michael straightened.

"I'm telling you Ma, this year is going to be different." She wasn't listening. "You'll see." he added quietly under his breath. 'This Valentine's Day Brian would be his.' He had gone to extra lengths to make that dream a reality. Several nights ago while he wallowed in his longing at Woody's. It was there he had had a long talk with Mysterious Marilyn, Queer Central's resident, quasi psychic. He smiled to himself now, as he remembered her instructions.

"If you wish to summon Cupid, God of Love, all you need to do is place something belonging to your desired underneath your pillow. As you sleep, Cupid will seek the one of which you dream...But be warned, Cupid's arrow will not last long if the love is not pure on both sides."

'Sounded easy enough. Brian loved him, he just needed a little push in the right direction.' Michael thought, reaching into his pocket.

His fingers wrapped around the cowry shell bracelet Brian had thought he'd misplaced. Although Michael felt slightly guilty 'borrowing' something so special to his friend; he'd decided it'd be worth it in the end. When Brian Kinney's heart would finally wholly belong to him.

Olympus Mountain-Crimson City District (City of Love)

The refreshing nectar felt wonderful on his throat. It's sweet taste delighted Justin's tongue. Returning the crystal goblet to the small floating cloud beside him, the blond sighed.

He felt the warmth of the sun still on his face, yet too, embraced the cool breeze of the approaching night's sunset.

He loved this time of day. It was generally his only time to relax. When night fell, humans would consume themselves in dreams of their obsessions.

Being a twelfth generation Cupid, Justin had never known another life. Though he often daydreamed about living among the mortals. They always appeared so passionate, no matter the emotion. Foreign feelings to Justin, like anger and hate were often as strong as love and desire. They were certainly intriguing creatures, humans.

However, they were never very patient. The Gods forbid, that they rely on their personalities to lure and attract a mate. 'No. Certainly not.' Most were too busy to even bother trying, thus where he came in. The God of love. Albeit it often seemed God of lust would be more appropriate.

It saddened him, the significant decrease in true love these days. He supposed it made sense though, now that nearly everyone on earth was so influenced by image. Looks were frequently the only prerequisite.

Cupid's golden arrows had resistant effects on lust and unrequited love. Regardless, he remained obligated to answer every summons. Hoping each one would turn out to be the real thing. The level of love, determined the amount of time the arrow's magic worked. If the intended target felt nothing for the summoner, it may wear off in a matter of minutes. Platonic or true friendships often lasted hours.

Nothing save from the purest of hearts ever lasted more than one complete day. If the arrow's power exceeded twenty-four hours, it was a love to last a lifetime.

A flittering chime sang through the breeze. The familiar music caused Cupid to groan softly, and stretch out on the cloud on which he lie. His first scroll of the night.

With Valentine's Day just around the corner, he knew this may be his last chance to relax for a while.

Keeping his eyes closed, he inhaled. Breathing deep the intoxicating aroma of the roses surrounding him, the delicate scent of the lavender waterfall, and the crisp freshness of love in the air.

He didn't want to move. He had to.

With one final vigorous stretch of his wings, he opened his eyes and sat up. The view was as beautiful as ever.

The setting sun danced rainbows off of the shimmering water and the golden pillars of the Kingdom's entrance. Everything brightly lit with happy color.

He rolled his shoulders and looked to his left, from which the chime had come. No more stalling, he retrieved the scroll from his now full quiver. It's glittery parchment accompanied his glowing golden arrow.

Delicate porcelain hands unrolled the order, "Brian Kinney." he read aloud. 'Of course.' He probably could have guessed as much.

Brian Kinney of Pittsburgh Pennsylvania was undoubtedly one of, if not, the most lusted after mortal in existence. Justin had lost count of the arrows he'd shot into this man's heart.

Each and every one had been a waste of an arrow.

Each and every one had been a waste of time.

You see, unlike most earth dwellers, Brian Kinney of Pittsburgh Pennsylvania, did not believe in love. Nor had he honed any desire whatsoever to find a partner.

In truth, Justin couldn't blame the excessive amount of men (and several women) willing to give anything for a chance with the stunning man. For Justin himself harbored a (perhaps not so slight) infatuation for the brunet Ad Executive.

Justin lived among Gods and Goddesses. Quite literally a crowd of indescribable beauty. And yet, his blue eyes had never seen another to rival Brian's.

The man was possibly physical perfection. Earth's own 'Golden God'.

Although Cupid himself had never experienced the love he created, he'd often daydream that if ever he was allowed to fall in love with a mortal, he'd hand deliver his heart to him.

Over the span of a decade, these daydreams had grown more excessive. They were only that however, dreams. Hopes. Wishes. All of the things he gifted to others. Things never bestowed upon him.

'It's all silly really.' It was infused in legend that no human could lay eyes on Cupid. His own golden beauty said to be excruciating for a mortal to view. Paralyzing. Deadly.

Brian Kinney had had a slew of admirers since he'd turned eighteen; and most likely many before Justin took the Cupid reigns from his retired father. Over the ten years between then and now, the blond had visited the brunet's bedside more often than he'd admit.

After shooting Brian with an arrow, Justin could never bring himself to immediately leave. He would watch the man as he slept, often searching his dream, always conflicted by the lack of desire he saw there.

Melancholy found him when he thought of the man's loneliness, and yet (more often than not) a happiness invaded him that the man was not yet betrothed to another. Even more often, he felt a hope that the man could be only his.

He sighed. 'It'd be a touch difficult to have a relationship with someone you couldn't see.' he mentally scoffed. Oh, so many times he'd wished Brian could see him.

Feel him as he brushed his hair from his face as he slept, traced his lips that begged to be kissed.

Hear him as he whispered his life to Brian's sleeping ears. Telling both tales of fantasy and truth.

Justin would sometimes spend hours talking to a man that couldn't hear him. Thinking now, he thought that perhaps that was part of the appeal. The man would always listen and never judge.

Unlike his family here in The Crimson City. Namely his mother, the Goddess of beauty, who couldn't understand her son's infatuation with a mere mortal. 'Clearly, she'd never seen Brian A. Kinney.' The only thing he was merely, was mortal. More godlike than most actual Gods.

Justin stood and stretched his legs. His nearly transparent white trousers ruffled in the wind. He put the quiver around his slight, yet toned chest.

The golden flecks in his skin glistened in the final goodbye of the sun. He ran his fingers through the soft silk of his hair, it's curled ends brushed his chin.

Thoughts filled with Brian Kinney, he spread his wings and descended through the clouds. He flew opposite of Heaven, toward his angel on earth.

Loft on Tremont-Pittsburgh, PA

Brian's transparent visitor materialized at the foot of his bed. He didn't greet him.

Justin let his eyes trace the lines of the sleeping man.

He couldn't have been more beautiful if he'd been painted with rainbows, or born from natural stars. Both miracles, Cupid had studied meticulously.

The soft breaths escaping that gentle golden chest came in time with the subtle ticking of a nearby clock; or perhaps that was Justin's rapidly beating heart.

He took a shaky step forward. No matter how many times he'd laid eyes on Brian Kinney, he was never truly prepared for the effect the man had on him.

He was simply stunning.

Justin recalled the too few times he'd managed to see the brunet awake.

A sensitive shiver surged to his very sensitive parts.

His face proceeded to blush profusely. 'Silly to feel embarrassed by thoughts no one could hear. Rose Kissed cheeks no one could see.'

If Brian Kinney was this breathtaking asleep, he was positively heart-stopping when he'd awaken.

His smile, though regrettably rare, shone brighter than any glowing magic of the Gods. The eighth wonder of the world according to Cupid.

Justin felt sad for everyone who never got to see that smile. Sadder still with the ludicrous wish that one day, someday that smile would be purposefully gifted to him.

Brian stirred; the soft shuffle of his blankets lifted enough to reveal even more of his bronzed flesh. Justin groaned and sucked his bottom lip inward.

Brian's body shivered slightly. The Blond's own body ached to supply added warmth.

The thought startled him. This mortal was igniting fiery feelings from heated needs Justin hadn't known he'd had.

'He needn't think such impurities. Shouldn't feel such heat.' He shook his head a little trying to regain control of himself. 'He had a job to do.'

He retrieved his glistening golden arrow made for his hands only. Unable to even be seen or held by anyone not of Cupid descent.

He didn't bother to further investigate this evening's summoner. His eyes read the name 'Michael Novotny'. 'Poor fool' Justin thought with a somber sigh. Certainly meant to become one of many hearts turned to dust by Brian Kinney's refusal to share his own.

He positioned the arrow in place and pulled back the bow. Aimed at the most secluded heart Cupid had ever known, an unexpected wrinkle sullied the smoothness of his plans.

Brian opened his eyes.

The addition of hazel startled the room, startled the blond.

If he hadn't known better, he'd have sworn on Zeus' power, that the brunet was staring directly at him. As intently as he'd so often looked at Brian.

Though Justin knew he was invisible to those eyes, he couldn't help but feel ribbons of nerves wrap his chest as he melted into their gaze.

He jumped a little, causing the love tipped arrow to lightly scratch the surface of his wrist. Their intended emotions continuously seeping into Cupid as they soon would mingle with Brian's heart.

Too late to cease it's already streaming journey, he released yet another weapon of golden hope and unrealistic expectations.

Like so many times before, Brian hadn't moved. The arrows were gentle and kind to the soul.

As blue eyes watched the glorious gold evaporate, his previous worry about his grand mistake vanished too. Rapidly, inhibitions were being replaced with the arrow's emotion, that although he'd provided for many, Justin had never experienced for himself.

Prior unfelt feelings were felt now with full force.

Surely, this was love.